z

Young Writers Society

The Witnesses DT

Which solution for our sigil problem do you think work best?

1) Option 1 seems good.
No votes
2) I think option 2 could work
No votes
3) Option 3 seems efficient enough
75%
4) Option 4 will makes things interesting
No votes
5) I think we need more ideas!!!
No votes
6) All of these, or at least most of them, should be used!
25%

Total votes : 4

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:40 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

OoooooooOOOOOh (I'm already seeing Pharah's brother having this magic if he's still alive XD

Also, I've taken a break from my post for a bit to work on some mechanics for Sigilweaving. I'll PM them to you @TheSunderedSorcerer before anything's set in stone :D
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:30 am
BrumalHunter says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer, you said who and how many will remain a secret, but you said nothing of when. So... when will you reveal who the lucky characters are? (Your loophole has been exploited, so it is too late to prevent it now. XD)
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:59 am
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

@AstralHunter, I intend on rolling my D10 later today, to determine who will be the Witnesses of our 10 characters (which reminds me, @Vellichor, I still require your second MC's profile, or at least their class so I can add them to the D10 list ;-))

On the topic of when, these characters technically already have this magic. But I think you're asking when will they discover it. Well, that I still have to determine :P
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

293 Reviews

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:38 am
BrumalHunter says...

Actually, your first paragraph was the answer I wanted, but the second one is welcome nevertheless. :P
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:13 am
crossroads says...

I'm not even gonna hide that I have ~ideas~ if either of the Ascari siblings end up among the undetermined few :p

If you don't mind me asking, though, why do it this way? Personally I think I would've had the explanation in the intro post and then like one slot for non-mage witness and three or whatever for already mages who discover it, and first come first serve system to it -- so I'm just curious about what made you choose one way over the other. Is it so everyone would have a more or less equal chance and both the writers and the characters would get to deal with this new power bestowed upon them?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

293 Reviews

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:27 pm
BrumalHunter says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer, if for some reason @Vellichor doesn't get the opportunity to create their second character soon, may I contest it? I had a very interesting idea this afternoon, so if they don't want to/can't follow through with the CP's creation, I'd love to pitch my idea to you. But this is all in the hypothetical instance of Vellichor not submitting a second CP - if they do, I shall nevertheless be content, and I'd never want to steal an opporunity anyway.

Other than that, I can say that I am finally in an inspired mood again, so my post will absolutely be submitted today. That is a fact. (Be prepared to read more than three thousand words, though. XD)
— Paul the Apostle

62 Reviews

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 pm
View Likes

@AstralHunter, I shall add an eleventh MC slot to the list. It means I will have to resort to using a D12 and not a D10, but meh... Also, my post ought to come up before midnight CAT (central African time, aka GMT+2)

@ChildOfNowhere, partially yes to your last statement) You see, since this is many of the character's first experience with the magical world, I didn't want the witness experience to take precedent over this experience at the beginning of the SB already. Also, being a student of humanity, I am interested in seeing how everone will experience and learn of this new and unique trait bestowed to them.
However, another part of the reason why I didn't provide this info at the very beginning is because the original concept was much different than the final product I provided now (Hunter can attest that my original idea is not what you see now, seeing as I consulted him before I made this SB) I thus wanted to refine my concept before revealing it to you all. Since unlike the sigils, spells, reagents, etc, which is being created with your help, the Witnesses are an essential part of the lore which had to be refined before I revealed it.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

293 Reviews

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:15 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Actually, @TheSunderedSorcerer, if one of my characters can be a Witness, I'd rather that be Uri, so you can still use your ten-sided die.
— Paul the Apostle

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:55 pm
View Likes
Vellichor says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer ACK! My apologies; The character will be up within the day. So sorry D:
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

62 Reviews

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Posted! Note, Harry is only a minor npc, and won't be featuring constantly ;-)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

293 Reviews

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:15 am
BrumalHunter says...

Sorry, everyone. That took forever, but it is done... and much too long. I'll dial down my posts in future. XD
— Paul the Apostle

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:49 am
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer

I thought I would bring this up with you since he is your NPC. I have Jake talking with the headmaster. Would you like to write something as the head master or just have me address it?

62 Reviews

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:22 am

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX, if you wish to write it from Arcaeail's PoV, you may gladly do so. Or, if you wish for me to write it, I will also gladly do so.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:49 am
View Likes

Lore!!

The Twelve Wizarding Families and IRM Council

So, since Wizards and Witches' magic is hereditary due to their H. Magicalis subspecies attribute, they naturally formed bloodlines that survived through the ages and who built up influence and prestige in the Gateway and the IRMA. There were originally many more lines of wizards and witches, but many of them either died out/ got integrated into one of the 12 Families that were the most prestigious of all these Families.

Here is the information on the 12 Families, followed by some information regarding the IRM Council. All this will be added to the Wizard section of the info post.

- Agatis- The most expansive of the 12 Families. They are the family least concerned about keeping the Wizarding Families “pure”, and thus have the most 2nd and 3rd Class Wizards/Witches (due to their relations with non-magical individuals and non-wizard magical individuals) They are essentially the Weasleys of our world, and openly despised by some of the other families. Defining physical features are slightly tanned skin-colors and light hair.

- Blearne- This Family is one of the more influential of the 12 Families. They’re essentially like the popstars or famous actors, with their family delivering at least one famous witch or wizard with each generation. Their influence is interrealmal, with their Family having estates or wealth in almost every realm still connected to the Gateway. Defining features are a strong jawline and bony facial features.

- Bonnelle- The saying goes “If you want your children to grow up well, you need to marry a Bonnelle.” Their Family is most renowned for the sheer attraction and beauty of their descendants, both physically and intellectually. They’re a proud Family though, and don’t too often mingle with non-magical individuals (they tolerate non-wizards like sorcerers, etc) Defining features are raven-black hair (usually flowing and long in both men and women), ever-changing eye colors, and a fair to pale skintone. (Their name is a contraction of the French words “bonne” and “elle”, with the elle referring to family being female in French ;-) )

- Dimaentis- This Family is renowned for being the architects of the Gateway, planning and overseeing construction of not only the IRMA, but the Dome, the Academy and several of the other Families’ estates. They are on good terms with nearly all magical folk, and use this to ensure that their business remains their own (while knowing everyone else’s) Defining features are the tall, muscular build of both the Wizards and the Witches in their family.

- Egdomai- This is one of the three “modest” families, being quite small in number, and owning no estates at all. Instead they live in a medium sized manor close to the Academy, where several of their descendants work as Professors in Astrology or Magical History. Defining features are the extremely pale blonde hair (some even born with white hair) and deep blue eyes their descendant have.

- Joren- An extremely secretive Family, their one estate is so heavily protected with protection spells and enchantments that no one has ever seen it without a formal invitation. However, it is a common (yet unspoken) opinion among the more influential families (especially the Blearnes and Turquots) that this is merely a façade to seem powerful when they are in fact simply bootlickers. They are also the Family with the highest number of elves and fae in their Family.

- Kilderan- This Family is known for its hunger for knowledge and intellectual prowess. They often work as Masters or Professors at the Academy, and have held the Headmaster’s post 24% of the times since the Academy was first instituted (that is the most for any single Family) Defining features are their piercing green eyes and tanned skintone.

- Laciturne- The Laciturnes are the first of the wizarding families to “die out”, with no remaining male wizard to continue the Family line (the only ones left are Arabelle and her mother)

- Mumford- This is one of the two powerhouse Families, being extremely influential in the IRMA and magical-non-magical relations. They are wealthy and powerful, but are closely connected with the non-magical individuals in the realms and assisting in the easing of tensions between the two different “worlds”. Defining features are the auburn-colored hair and tall build of their descendants.

- Olineo- This Family is known as the “Nomad family”, being another of the “modest families with no estate. They are renowned for their adventurers and courage to enter dangerous realms, and are thus usually the magical officials in these desolate realms (Arabelle’s mother’s maiden name was Olineo) Defining features are grey to silver eyes, and lithe builds.

- Turquot- The second of the two powerhouse Families, and rivals of the Mumfords. They are extremely influential in the IRMA, having held the Head chair of the IRM Council 31% of the times since the IRMA was founded (the most in any Family) They are also closely associated with Adjudicators (and feared because of it), as one of the Adjudicator leaders was a Turquot, a wizard named Olindar Turquot. They cannot be taken before the Magical courts of it though, since they are so powerful (and since the High Judge is Olindar’s niece) They also openly despise any non-magical individuals who aren’t subservient to them (basically the Malfoys of our world, but more openly cruel)

- Villisolm- This is the final of the “modest” families, the Villisolms are most renowned for their enchanters and illusionists, with the inventor of the communication enchantment (as mentioned in the DT), being from their Family. They are closely associated with non-magical and non-wizard individuals, and tend to be larger than the other Families (except for the Agatises, they are still the largest family) Defining features are the golden hair and hazel eyes of nearly all their descendants.

The IRM Council is mostly run by representatives of each of the Families, with sorcerers and their ilk being in a minority in the Council. The IRM Council are essentially the board of the IRMA, although there are five subcouncils (mostly in charge of the various “departments” of the IRMA, some over multiple) who offer their support to the councilors to pass bills, receive votes for Head Chair, etc

The current Chair is, however a Sorceress 1st Class and not associated with any of the Families or subcouncils (much to the frustration of the Turquots and Blearnes) She became the Head Chair in the vote immediately after the Tolling, since the previous Chair was killed (the Wizard Johass Mumford, closest ally of the Sorcerer Deleagus, whose death inspired him to duel the leaders of the Adjudicators)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Nooo @AstralHunter! Long posts all the way <3
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

If it wasn't for poetry, I couldn't express myself.
— Rosendorn