z

Young Writers Society

The Witnesses DT

Which solution for our sigil problem do you think work best?

1) Option 1 seems good.
No votes
2) I think option 2 could work
No votes
3) Option 3 seems efficient enough
75%
4) Option 4 will makes things interesting
No votes
5) I think we need more ideas!!!
No votes
6) All of these, or at least most of them, should be used!
25%

Total votes : 4

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:41 pm
crossroads says...

I want interactions! My two characters are spottable from miles away, and I want to have them manage to not meet each other for a little while longer... so I'd like each to be otherwise occupied xP
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:07 pm
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Someone could interact with Jake as he has no idea what he is looking for.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:28 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Hmm... None of the characters besides Edrea and Dagon seem extraverted, and those two are both jerks. Which personalities would our characters seek out? Uri has already encountered Sam and Ari, so he'd want to avoid them for fear of being mocked (he doesn't know they wouldn't do that). At this point, I think he'd actually just prefer to hide in his room.

If anybody likes, I could have Thirrin drag him out and knock on his neighbours' doors, causing him much humiliation and discomfort when she tells him to make friends. She could knock on the doors as she passes by them and then leave Uri with whoever decides to answer.

Speaking of which, I don't think this is anywhere in an organised form, so here is a list of room numbers and occupants:

Floor Five
26. Geilen Karasam
27. Dagon Kalula
28. ???
29. Arabelle Laciturne
30. Edrea Turquot
31. North Hasnosurname
32. Uriah Nedelle
33. ???
34. ???
35. Jake Harrison

I think it would therefore be the most convenient if Ari, Pharah, Cara and Jennifer had one these rooms and whoever comes last has either 25 or 36. Opinions?

Also, excellent post, @XxXTheSwordsmanXxX! Jake is lucky to have a master with show many rare and magical creatures in and around his residence. Imagine all the spells that must be protecting the place. O.o

PS: I meant to post this yesterday, but somehow forgot? Odd. XD

PS 2: Since not everyone has been in the pad yet, I'll post the Kelleigh Danger Scale in the spoiler below. Examples have already been included, but I think creatures such as griffins and unicorns would count as level four and three respectively, which is why they may be owned - as long as all the paperwork is sorted, of course. Owning anything from level five onwards is either illegal or highly regulated. Any other ideas?

Spoiler! :
Kelleigh Danger Scale

"Created by famous explorer Arthur Kelleigh when he struggled to explain the varying degrees of threat particular creatures posed, it ranks all known non-sentient species according to their likelihood and ability to inflict harm on sentient races. However, it is a guide for civilians, not a manual for hunters."
~ Famous Person/Scientist/Mage

I. Level One
♠ Passive. Species cannot inflict fatal harm outside of rare exceptions and will likely flee an encounter. Approach at will.
~ Pidgeon

II. Level Two
♠ Passive. Species cannot inflict fatal harm outside of rare exceptions but may nevertheless cause painful injuries if provoked. Approach with slight caution.
~ Eagle

III. Level Three
♠ Neutral. Species may inflict fatal harm if startled but will likely flee an encounter. Approach with caution.
~ Deer

IV. Level Four
♠ Neutral. Species may inflict fatal harm if startled and will retaliate if attacked. Approach with caution.
~ Wolf

V. Level Five
♠ Neutral. Species can inflict fatal harm and will provide a warning before attacking. Do not approach.
~ Bear

VI. Level Six
♠ Hostile. Species can inflict fatal harm and will attack upon encounter. Never approach.
~ Rhinoceros

VII. Level Seven
♠ Hostile. Species will inflict fatal harm and may seek out an encounter. Avoid at all costs.
~ Tiger

VIII. Level Eight
♠ Hostile. Species will inflict fatal harm to groups and may seek out an encounter. Avoid at all costs.
~ Manticore

IX. Level Nine
♠ Hostile. Species can destroy small settlements and may seek out an encounter. Depart with haste.
~ Basilisk

X. Level Ten
♠ Hostile. Species can destroy large settlements and may seek out an encounter. Depart with haste.
~ Wyvern

XI. Level Eleven
♠ Hostile. Species can destroy civilisations and may seek out an encounter. Depart with utmost haste.
~ Unknown

XII. Level Twelve
♠ Hostile. Species can eradicate planetary life and may seek out an encounter. Seek divine assistance.
~ Unknown
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:35 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Pharah'll take room 33! Thanks for pointing that out, Hunter :D

Also, I'm having a rough time writing a post for Pharah, so if anyone wants to interact with her please please hit me up. I'll love you forever.

(Also level 11 and 12 make me chuckle, because my mind immediately go to "humans because we like to destroy ourselves" and then it goes to "save us from ourselves" and the last line of seeking Divine Assistance just screams to me "seek religion because you're doomed anyways" XD)
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

293 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:48 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

@Omnom, I'm supposed to be writing for the next five hours but feel sort of blocked, so I'm available, if you'd like an extra pair of eyes! And yeah, humans are scary that way. They can also be as harmless as caterpillars (when not eaten), so sentient races aren't included in the list, since nobody could place them in one definite position. Besides sentient races, I couldn't think of anything so destructive, though, which is why I left the example "Unknown". (Even Eldritch Abominations are supposed to be sentient, if I recall.) I definitely had fun writing level twelve's description, since at that point, nothing but the gods can save you. XD
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:03 am
Omni says...

@AstralHunter thanks for the offer! However, I'm actually about to go to sleep (read: binge-watch shows until I pass out) because I'm pretty drained right now XD
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

293 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:09 am
BrumalHunter says...

Sorry, I forget that it's noon for me, but way past midnight for most of you. XD

If anybody else wants to collaborate, poke me at any time, but preferably no later than four in the evening, because that's eleven for me. (Unless you're not in America, in which case my time zone is GMT+2.) I shan't be available later today, though, since I have to work at a wedding.
— Paul the Apostle

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:14 pm
crossroads says...

...I feel like I want there to be discussions in the magical world on whether the Ascari should be on that list. Among those who consider them made by other wizards/beings/whatever, there could be some interesting requests to treat them as creatures.

Cara is extroverted. Ish. She hides when emotions get too hard to deal with, and she's easy to hurt, but she still wants to meet people and make friends. Her brother and sister (the twins, not North) are gonna pop in and mess with her on occasions, btw, and you're all free to use them if you need NPCs to interact with. I don't think they'd be as mean to anyone else as they are to Cara, so they'd probably be liked and popular.

North's just gonna go meet Echo ASAP, so he's not even gonna be in the Dome much... He wants to spend every waking moment mastering magic, basically.

Maybe there could be like a welcome party for all the new students? Or a floor welcome party organised by the older students on floor 5?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

107 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:01 pm

A welcoming party the day before classes start. I kinda like that idea.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:50 pm
Vellichor says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer Room 34 would be nice for Jennifer :)
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

293 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:18 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Working off from what I've gathered thus far, floor five seems to be designated for first years, floor four for second, third for third, and.. then... what? If there are eight years of study, where do the other five grades go?

That would also mean it's up to the first years themselves to hold the party. @TheSunderedSorcerer, how large can the dormitories get? Would one person be able to accommodate an entire floor?
— Paul the Apostle

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:23 am
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

So, since I forgot my laptop today, I can't answer all the stuff you guys talked pf and mentioned on my phone.

Regarding the rooms- The floors (as mentioned before) contain more than just the individuals who're studying magic (so adults, etc as well, which is why the floors get quite large) But the students do get assigned according to years. Years four through to eight have their rooms on floors 6-11.

Once a student finishes, most give up their rooms for use of first years again (since they usually renta apartment /buy a house in the Gateway or another realm), but several mages who work for the IRMA or the Academy keep their lodgings, or if they travel around a lot but can't afford a house, thus there are adult mages in the Dome (also, the IRMA returns a mage's lodgings to them if they for example become homeless)

Also, yes, one lodgings coukd grow to accommodate a lot of mages (it's like the Room of Requirement in that sense)

Finally regarding the rooms, they are obviously set across from one another (even on one side, uneven rooms on the other) And like I mentioned in Sam's post, there are multiple stairways in the atrium, all of them leading to all the floors, but at twenty room intervals (so the peopl in room 100 don't have tp walk passed a hundred rooms to get a staircase) So our nearest staircase is the one close to room 40... ;-) I hope that makes sense :P

With regards to Arabelle and interactioms, although she is shy-ish, she is also adventurous and loves exploring, so she and Cara could become good friends if they were to meet ;-) Sam will at first be spending a lot of time with Harry, and I want them to be like ou Fred and George combo (I mean, a Grift and a clairvoyant just screams mischievous pair of mages :D) This is obviously also how Sam will be interacting with the other mages at the beginning (pranks, mischievous stuff, etc) He'll later become friendlier or not so friendly with the other MCs as he gets to know his classmates.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:54 am

*Pokes the@ChildOfNowhere team to@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX see@Vellichor how they're all doing and to hear how their posts're coming along*

Regarding the next post, I agree with @Omnom that going supply shopping could become tedious and boring to write, and I have decided that tomorrow (in the SB) there will be a large dinner in the Dome Great Hall to welcome back all the students/apprentices, as well as the other inhabitants of the Dome (hosted by the Academy with funds from the Mumford family, so all the Professors and Masters are also invited ;-))

Thoughts on this? We could then obviously write about what they do before the dinner (like interactions with other characters, or that scene @AstralHunter mentioned of Thyrrin knocking on all the doors for Uri to start making friends, etc), and then at the dinner as well (so this idea might even lead to two posts p/character before classes and the main story arc starts ;-))

Edit: Should I also create Npc profiles for the other Professors (with the exception of the new Astrology Prof, who @ChildOfNowhere wants to create) You guys may also create some then, if you think it is totally necessary.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

107 Reviews

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:05 pm

To all those interested in Sigils, I have added quite a few notes to them but I would like a second eye to ensure that I am not going too far with some of these ideas.

62 Reviews

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:53 am

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX, I hope Edrea is prepared for a big upset :P Not a Harry-Potter-won't-shake-my-hand-because-he's-friends-with-a-Weasley upset, but more of a I-will-never-shake-hands-with-a-Turquot-and-be-sure-to-remember-that-in-the-future upset.
(let's just say I had been thinking of how Arabelle's father had died, and it involves one or two Turquots... 8) Ara doesn't know why her mother hates the Turquots yet, but she knows that her mother would never hate an entire Family without good reason)
Also like I mentioned, Ara doesn't like bullies or people with superiority complexes, so... ;-)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.
— Holden Caulfield