Reviews: 271
Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:58 pm
Gravity says...

can we start?
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 pm
Europa says...

On the SB? Of course!

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:33 am
Vellichor says...

May I?
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

45 Reviews

42 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:30 am
View Likes
Vellichor says...

@Europa @Chaser @Jexy @Gravity @Sevro @TheForgottenKing Just a heads up, I've been making a point of checking into the WFP a few times a day. Really looking forward to this and very excited about bringing back Pierpoint :D
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

45 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:36 am
View Likes
Europa says...

Awesome posts, guys! And since its coming up fast, here's what I was thinking about Fireteams.
The first thing that happens after the students settle in (They'd probably give them the day of arrival to get their bearings) is give them a kind of aptitude test. Students with similar scores are put on a Fireteam, and the one with the highest score is appointed as a kind of commander in charge of making sure their team doesn't kill each other, anyone else or themselves. (Though I feel that through the course of the SB Eclipse may become more democratic as they become closer and find a way to work better together.)

Any thoughts? Questions?

So far, Evangeline, Aria, Amiele, Marcus, and Riley have posted.

That leaves Crow, Kepler, Will to be posted for this round.
I would prefer to wait until everyone else has posted before I post again, but @Chaser and @TheForgottenKing if you guys would rather I post before you guys I'm totally up for that!

Thank you guys for being so awesome!

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:03 pm
Sevro says...

What would be included in the aptitude test? Would it be a written thing or like a mashup of different physical tests?

I like the idea of having a sort of ranking within each Fireteam. At the start, who will be the appointed "leader" of Fireteam Eclipse?
"They think I'm still a child. The fools. Alexander was a child when he ruined his first nation."
—Darrow from the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown<3

Spoiler! :
Formerly olsene and Caterpickle

45 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:55 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

@Sevro I was thinking along the lines of a physical test. I imagined it as one kind of continouous course with different obstacles to dodge and such, as well as targets you would need to hit, with a well trained opponent to fight at the end of the course. It could also be designed to adapt to the user, getting harder and harder as it goes along and the system learns their strengths and weaknesses. As for a leader, I think that the best choice that would be realistic in the story would be Aria. As ar as reasons not for my characters, Crow would make a good leader, but A) He probably wouldn't accept it anyway, and B) The school wouldn't trust him with that responsibility because of his background. And Eva would probably score pretty high on the test, but she really doesn't have the emotional stability for that position. She'd most likely let that control she has get to her head and start abusing that power. Not a good idea to give Eva a position of command. But @Gravity we could add a bit of tension between Eva and Ari by having them score the exact same score on the test, and having the school choose one over the other.

None of this is set in stone, so if you guys have any ideas or comments, feel free to post them.

42 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:32 am
Vellichor says...

My child is not leadership material at all xD
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

271 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:53 pm
Gravity says...

I kind of already (and so did a couple others I think) post as if the Fireteams were already assembled. Maybe these tests could instead asses how each person within the fireteam would work. For example Amelie I believe would be bomb girl, Crow would be strategy, Aria would be a leader or soldier or strategist, Riley (I think?) would be sniper, etc. I'm working off memory here.

45 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:08 pm
Europa says...

But we have a lot of different characters who have close to the same skills, like Riley and Eva are both skilled assassins, Aria and Will are both experts in martial arts, and Will and Marcus are both crack shots with a sniper. Also, I don't think each team would be comprised of the same sort of people. Perhaps the teams could already be formed, but why would they put together an entire team of people with personal vendettas against the government. They know of Eva, Crow, and Maybe Aria's resentment of the army, so why put them on a team together? Why not with another group of students more loyal to the government?

271 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:14 pm
Gravity says...

@Europa seems each character who has a personal vendetta has a skill in common with another key player who is loyal to the gov't. Maybe they decide to put all the characters together 1. to be able to observe the renegades more closely, it's easier to observe them if they're all in one group and 2. Because each possible renegade has someone to counter that, and they're hoping the counter loyalist will be beneficial in swaying the renegade.

Do what you want, I'm just trying to avoid rewriting my first post.

45 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:32 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

@Gravity perhaps the test could determine the hierarchy. The teams are already formed, but the members have a kind of ranking in their own team. Kind of like a pack of wolves. The one who scored the highest would be the leader, second highest would be second in command, and then the rest of them are kind of arranged in order of importance according to their scores until they get down to the lowest, who is basically the beta of the team. Not sure what significance that would have, though.

271 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:21 am
Gravity says...

True, but I don't think it should be level or highest score, I think the different members of the fireteam should simply be observed. You can have someone be great at combat or physical obstacles or mental tests all day long, but that doesn't make them a great leader. On the flip side, you can have a great leader, but not necessarily the best at combat or strategy. Kind of like you can have a teacher who knows how to do math or science or whatever really really well, but they might not necessary be the greatest teacher. That's up to you, simply my suggestiokn :)

@Europa

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:18 pm
Sevro says...

@Gravity that's true. But how would the leader be determined? Would the people in charge of the academy just use their best judgement and say that's that? While that would be kinda strange, it would definitely spark some interesting conflicts between the members.

However, like @Europa said, the test would be pretty well rounded. It would probably have to include physical combat, shooting, fighting techniques, strength tests, strategy situations, teamwork problems, programming, etc. So it would test every aspect of each member that they would need in the academy. Which means it would be a good indicator of who should lead, especially if they take into account the teamwork tests.

I also sort of have an idea of my own. (I'm borrowing this idea from a book shhhh XD.) The leader could be determined over a period of time. In the book, the leader is called Primus. It's acquired by getting bars. You get bars by doing admirable things (performing well on the test, having a good, impactful idea and executing it properly, doing well in team activities like the "battles" with the other Fireteams, etc.). The first person that gets to five bars is the leader. I could expand on the inner workings of the idea if it's up for discussion. Let me know what you think.
"They think I'm still a child. The fools. Alexander was a child when he ruined his first nation."
—Darrow from the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown<3

Spoiler! :
Formerly olsene and Caterpickle

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites