z

Young Writers Society

Fairy Tales DT

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:20 pm
Charm says...

This is the Discussion Topic for Fairy Tales.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:42 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

OK, SO QUICK QUESTION:

SHOULD OUR FAIRYTALE CHARACTERS BE ENTIRELY ORIGINAL, OR CAN I MODIFY A PRE-CREATED CHARACTER? LIKE FOR EXAMPLE, COULD I MAKE A CHARACTER LOOSELY BASED OFF OF PINOCHIO WHO'S A CHRONIC LIAR AND WHO HAS ISSUES WITH HIS CONSCIENCE, BUT WITH A MODERN TWIST?? ANOTHER EXAMPLE WOULD BE MAKING A PRINCE CHARMING WHO ONLY RESCUES DAMSELS BECAUSE OF A CERTAIN PREDISPOSITION TO BLAMING HIMSELF FOR OTHER PEOPLES' PROBLEMS? OR WOULD THAT BE A STRETCH...

IF THIS ISN'T OK, I CAN JUST GO THE TRADITIONAL ROUTE AND MAKE A COMPLETELY NEW CHARACTER. BUT I THINK THE FORMER OPTION WOULD BE REALLY FUN.

EITHER WAY I WANT TO JOIN.
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky's Perks of Being a Wallflower

277 Reviews

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:51 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

You know the TV show Once Upon A Time? Yeah? Well, this is not that xD Pretty much you can make a character that is similar to an original character but keep in mind this is going to be written like an original fairy tale, like a Brothers Grimm story. I don't want the characters to not fit in with the time period or to seem odd and modern. Have you read any Brothers Grimm or Andrew Lang's fairy books? This storybook should not have any "modern twists" I really want this to stay and to be written like an original fairy tale.
Last edited by Charm on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:55 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

Unfortunately, I haven't read or seen any of the things you've referenced, which might be why I didn't entirely understand the specifics of what you wanted for the Storybook. However, I get where you're coming from now, and think it would be best to make an original character. Thanks!
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky's Perks of Being a Wallflower

277 Reviews

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:45 pm
fukase says...

Fortunately, I can survive a fairy world because I've gone a lot through it. XD
I want to participate, but if I don't submit my character around today till tomorrow, I probably have ventured on my own and left you guys.

I might choose a hunter or some mercenary, is that too violent? XD
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:41 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

I can't miss out on a chance with fairy tales. I'll join!

I might mix snow white and cinderella from grimm for my character~
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

277 Reviews

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:40 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

@Steggy that's awesome!
@nicolmemo anything is fine as long as it's not too modern and unusual for an original-like fairytale/folklore

Everyone try to ask me questions in here so I don't have to answer a question twice. Here's a bit from a PM I sent to one of y'all that is important:
I've been telling everyone else this rule. Your character can be magical or like a beast as long as they are originally human. They were given their gift or cursed. I don't want any characters that are like amazing magical beings that can save the world on their own and no one can match their mystical abilities and they were born that way. Talking to animals and talking to fairies is fine. As long as the magic comes from other beings. But if there is a folklore or fairy tale in which the main character is magical and you want to base your character to be similar to that person, that's fine. I want it to be like an original, you know.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:10 pm
Astronomer says...

Woop, just remembered I was tagged for this thing (although to be fair, I didn't get the notification).

I'll be joining! ^^

EDIT: Question; I saw that in the SB it says every character has their own tale in a world of fairy tales. So will the stories intertwine in some way (I'm thinking something like 'Into the Woods')?

277 Reviews

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:23 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

I already answered that question in the rules area @moonwatcher
But talking about Disney, this can actually be similar to Into the Woods as that is a bit grim, it's similar to the originals, and it has multiple character from different stories meeting.

I'm so happy you're joining c: I have a feeling this is going to be really fun.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:15 am
Steggy says...

Done with my character! Sorry if the backstory is a bit long; kinda got carried around haha
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

277 Reviews

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:12 am
View Likes
Charm says...

@Steggy
In a far away land, nestled deep in the hills of Daemona is a kingdom called Hishwater High. The kingdom is ruled by a king named King Isaacson and a queen named Queen Punitori. They have several kids, each respected in their own class. Princess Ryanette was the middle child, the child who was put into the stress and where her chance to shine only comes every so often.

Once upon a time there was a kingdom terrorized and infested with magic and all the magical creatures alike.

Simple mistake, but remember that this all happens in the same kingdom. I'm not really sure how to fix this issue since @passenger 's character is already a prince. Maybe your character ends up in Prince V's kingdom or the other way around. Or I can change my story from kingdom to world or something. What does everyone think?

279 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:36 am
Steggy says...

Oh! I knew I was going to miss that. Hmm... Maybe, they could all be in their own kingdoms then meet up in Prince V's kingdom or something?

277 Reviews

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am
Charm says...

@featherstone9086

Branwen is a rare white raven who hatched during a solar eclipse and thus has the ability to speak.

I don't think they knew what solar eclipses were 300 hundred years ago. I don't think solar eclipses would be part of an original fairy tale. Too sciency.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:50 am
Featherstone says...

Okay, the moon blocked out the sun. It happened and people though it was magic- they just didn't know what it was.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy