Young Writers Society

The Shadow Cats DT

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:51 pm
felidae says...

The Shadow Cats

The Past

A group of shapeshifting felines, known only by the alias Shadow Cats, reigned in the darkness of London. They stole the occasional diamond, killed wicked men, and kept malevolence at bay. Urban legends and awed whispers were passed around by schoolchildren and businessmen and everyone in between, fueling elaborate tales about ghostly lions who smite evil - stories that the Shadow Cats wore like armor. They, the Shadow Cats, ruled the whole of London from the gutters and the dustbins.

The Present

Now, the original Shadow Cats lie dead in the rain. Their organs have been snatched by something too terrible to be kept at bay by claws and wits, their furs matted with blood and filth. Their gifts - the gift of a form lighter and more agile than a human's - has been passed on to those nearest to them at the time of the murder. The humans carry on with their lives, oblivious, as the rates of crime steadily increase again.

The Future

As the day of the new moon approaches, the humans will begin to feel ill. Their hair will start to itch, their nails and teeth will start to ache, and their eyes will become sore as their bodies prepare to transform. At midday on the day of the new moon, just as the pain becomes unbearable, their lives and their bodies will transform. They will be called to the final resting place of the dead Shadow Cats, and they will begin to string everything together and curb the rising crime rates - all the while, trying to retain their humanity and dodge the sinister forces that ended the lives of their predecessors?

What will become of these new Shadow Cats?

Rules:
-Please keep to general Storybook rules
-No godmodding
-Be civil, even if disagreements occur
-Ask before killing someone else's character
-Put adequate detail into your own character
-Romance is allowed. Sex should be implied, if it's mentioned at all.
-Swearing is allowed, but try to keep it from becoming unnecessarily vulgar.
-Please, make your character diverse! (if you want to)
-Have fun!

Other Things:
-Your characters cannot transform before their initial transformation on the new moon. From then on, they can learn to control their transformations to transform at will.
-Your characters' feline forms can be any kind of feline, including big cat. However, try not to make too many big cats (yes, I know they're cool) because a) there would be an even-ish spread of species, and b) a lot of big cats won't go unnoticed around London for long
-Your characters must transform on every new moon.
-Your characters will be biologically different from humans. A blood test will show this, and so medical examinations and hospitals should be avoided.
-In the what they were doing section, put what they were doing to get given the power i.e. what they were doing so close to the murder scene on that night.
Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:34 pm
Megrim says...

I'm pretty curious/tempted (*points to big cat avatar*). But I'd like to know more about the transformations / powers the characters would have? Are most of the characters going to be like regular domestic cat breeds?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:01 pm
felidae says...

Hi, @Megrim. Thank you for the interest - it means a lot. I'm hoping for a pretty even spread of feline species (some domestic, some smaller big cats, and other medium-or-large big cats). I just didn't want to end up with three lions, two jaguars, a tigress, and my one housecat. It'd be a bit awkward for him, xD.

As for the transforming: they are unaware of their new powers until the day of the new moon. At midday, they all transform. From then on, they gradually learn how to control their transforming, like children gradually learn how to control their bladders? Not the best analogy, but it's all I can think of right now.

There aren't really any specific 'powers' that they gain - but they have their human mind, even in cat form. Their senses become more delicate and sensitive in human form, too.
Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind