z

Young Writers Society

Breach in the Void DT

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:08 pm
JustJasper says...

Hey guys here is the DT!
Why do we capital-N Nerds love Mars so much?
Because it's beautiful, it's tough, it's buried in our mythic, childhood memories.
It's covered with human triumphs but also with sad stories of failure.

-Greg Bear

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:09 pm
Europa says...

Hello there

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:28 pm
Lael says...

Hi buddies! :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

11 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:46 pm
JustJasper says...

hey guys when you are making a character keep in mind that they are a team of scientists and should specialize in a area or two. Their skills can overlap but please give them some skills unless your characters are not scientists. But if they are not scientists they must have an excuse for being there.
Because it's beautiful, it's tough, it's buried in our mythic, childhood memories.

-Greg Bear

81 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:51 pm
Lael says...

@Oswin1800 could you please link the DT to the SB? Thanks!

And my CP has been posted!
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

11 Reviews

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:15 pm
JustJasper says...

Hey fellow Ninjas!
Now that we have a few characters to work with I think we should begin to discuss the plot of the storybook. As you know our characters are going to wake up on a train with no memories having just come from another dimension. That means we need to decide what the dimension they are currently in is like and how it differs from where they came from.

I have decided that they are on a train headed toward a big city. The train is on a bridge with nothing but water surrounding it and no way to escape. The ride must be a few hours to give them time to register what is going on and to meet the other travelers.

Other than that I have nothing planned for the immediate future. It would be easy to write if one of the dimensions is our own but that doesn't have to happen.

I look forward to hearing your ideas about how dimensional travel will work. We also need to decide how the universe is going to decay and what that would look like. I have a few ideas about this and I would love your feedback.

Alright idea number one: Inter dimensional travel created a black hole that is slowly sucking the universe into it. This could be shown as satellites and space telescopes that are far away from earth disappearing.

Idea number two: A hole was ripped in reality and things are slowly beginning to disappear or stop working. I don't really know how to phrase that so maybe one of you is more eloquent and can help.

Idea number three: The hole they created is allowing dangerous radiation to leak through from the other dimension effectively poisoning everything where our characters are.

Idea number four: The hole only effects our characters and is slowly killing them. It may be interesting for this to effect them in different ways for example one character becomes blind and another gets a heart condition. IDK I know those of you that like to torture your characters would enjoy this one.

Please let me know what your ideas are about this!

Alright I have one more thing to discuss. Sorry for the long post!
Anyway you all remember when I said it was very difficult for them to use their powers. (Which may or may not have come from traveling into the other dimension.) I think that the difficulty should be different related to your characters personality and their powers. That means that this will be entirely up to you. I only ask that your character is not able to use their powers constantly as a way of solving their problems, I would prefer if there is also a consequence to using the powers as well.

I you have any questions about any of this feel free to ask!

-Ossie

-Greg Bear

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:08 pm
StupidSoup says...

*raises hand*

I like the idea of dimensional travel be like starting on a clean slate. The pros obviously being able to start anew without any guilt. The cons being that you have no memory of your past life.

On the topic of consequences, I think I'd choose option number two for the whole universe ending thing.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

81 Reviews

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:36 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

What if you combined all four ideas?

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:49 pm
Chaser says...

What if the hole in reality was gradually warping the rules of the universe? Time, gravity, light, everything deteriorates the longer they stay. This could also be where their powers come from: the warping of reality caused by a puncture between dimensions.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

81 Reviews

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:23 am
Lael says...

Maybe the dimensions were already breaking down so they were sent to this other one to fix it, but the hole did get bigger because of that.

11 Reviews

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:25 am
JustJasper says...

I love your ideas! Thanks for contributing! I like what Chaser said about how the universe was breaking down definitely said option two better than I did. I am wondering how we could combine all of them like Lael said but nothing has been decided yet. I want to hear a few more ideas before I decide anything and maybe we could vote? Idk still thinking about it.

-Ossie

-Greg Bear

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:01 pm
Europa says...

How about a combination of ideas three and four? Perhaps the radiation leaking from the hole also infected our characters when they went through it. It would put a lot of pressure on them to stop the problem if they only had so long to live, and characters like Alder who only look out for number one and probably wouldn't help under a different circumstance would be given a purpose to help the group, since it is now in their best interest if they want to live.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:24 pm
Chaser says...

Or maybe causality itself could be trying to eliminate them with all sorts of inexplicable threats like natural disasters and sharknadoes.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

81 Reviews

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:10 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Or perhaps this whole thing is a simulation that their scientist bosses and the big government people put them into to test them to see if they could fix the real hole in dimensions. So they end up fulfilling the task then they're pulled back or woken up, etc. and the scientists are like, "Oh good job, now fix this one!" *points at even nastier hole*

11 Reviews

Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:04 am
JustJasper says...

Alright guys thank you so much for your ideas and feedback. I think that I am going to go with a combination of ideas one and four with some of the strange occurances Chaser mentioned. If anyone sees a problem with this or has any additional ideas please let me know.
Also I would like to begin writing soon and I know all of you probably do too. Before we start I want one more character to join the group. If you are interested in making another go ahead but I would prefer if you invited you friends to write the storybook.
I also would like to invite you guys to bring up plot points you are unsure of and discuss them so that everyone knows exactly what is happening.
Thanks for joining the storybook!

-Ossie

-Greg Bear

It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief