z

Young Writers Society

Receiver and Giver

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:29 pm
Eternity says...

Discuss anything here regarding the Receiver and Giver.

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:48 pm
Sujana says...

Hey there Eternity. I'm looking for a storybook to participate in myself, and I'm interested in the premise, but could you explain it a bit more? Like, what's the setting? What's the story going to be like? What does the Receiver do specifically? Who is the Giver?

Sorry for the questions.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

82 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:18 pm
Eternity says...

Oh no, it's fine. Basically, the setting is a place controlled by a government that takes away difference and puts Sameness in it's way. The weather is the same, all the colors are taken away, everything diverse is the same now. They use precision of language, meaning they do not love each other, but they enjoy each other. They're assigned a family unit and must stay there. They do have a curfew.

The Receiver is the receiver of memory. All past events in the world are unknown to these people because they have no books. Only in The Giver's dwelling do they have books. The Receiver is older and far more intelligent, hence why everyone goes to him in crisis. I'll have more on the actual SB soon.

383 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:53 pm
Sujana says...

Alright, so basically everything is the same and life is colorless now. What's the dynamic between the Receiver and the Giver? What are their individual jobs and what are they made to do? How do they work together? Is there only one pair of Receiver and Giver or others as well?

82 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:31 pm
Eternity says...

Only the Giver sees color until he gives the memory of color to the Receiver. The two slowly become close. They work as a team. Basically The Giver transfers memories to the Receiver for the Receiver to live on with emotions and memories of the past world. There is only one pair of The Giver and The Receiver of Memory.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:36 pm
SkyeWalker says...

Sooo is this like the book "The Giver?"
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

82 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:39 pm
Eternity says...

Yes, haha.

383 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:59 pm
Sujana says...

What's the point, though? Are the Receiver and Givers illegal to the government? Or were they made by the government? And if so, why? Why do they exist? Why doesn't the Giver give to the rest of the community?

383 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 pm
Sujana says...

Also, I had a feeling it was similar to the Giver, but I really haven't read the book so I'm not sure if I can participate well. Do you have to read the book to participate?

82 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:50 pm
Eternity says...

No you don't have to read the book. I'll try to answer questions more in depth soon, I've just been quite busy with eight baby bunnies on my hands.

The Giver and The Receiver are meant to be in the community because they hold truth. The reason being is because Elders and regular people go to the Giver for advice on certain things. It's hard to explain. If you watch the movie, it's slightly better understanding. I'll use summaries to try to help on time:

Basically, this place is a rigidly controlled society some time in the future. In his "community," there is no suffering, hunger, war, and, as you will soon see, no color, sex, music, or love. Everything is controlled by "the Elders," right down to who you will marry, who you receive as children, and what you will be "assigned" as a job.

Individual identity has gone the way of cassette tapes, and everyone is essentially just like everyone else. It seems that no one has really left the area, except to visit other neighboring communities. To get "released" is a big deal. It only happens to sick infants or really old people, or to people who break the rules.

At 12, each person is assigned a job. There's a big ceremony at which the decisions are announced. Jobs: Recreation Director, Caretaker for the Old, etc. The Receiver is selected. All receivers seem to have the same eyes. Light eyes.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:07 am
HazelGrace16 says...

@Eternity Would you be okay if I pmed you with an idea that could cause some drama in the universe??
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:32 pm
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

Reserving a Receiver (dude i freaking love the giver)
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

82 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:44 pm
View Likes
Eternity says...

Just letting you know that Ellstar has reserved the first receiver, but once Ellstar's char is The Giver, I'll make sure your char is the next.

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper