Young Writers Society

Feather DT

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun May 01, 2016 2:51 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

Welcome to Lorne!

This is the first SB I've ever made, so please pardon me if it's a little clunky and/or anxiety-riddled and if I've forgotten anything and and and—well, you're here for the story, not my apologies :P

The world of Feather will be rather small; I intend for this to be something of a linear story. I've taken care to limit the number of characters so the whole thing doesn't turn into a huge exploration of Lorne as we know it. (While that would be pretty awesome, that's not what this story is.)

Three people fell on the night of the meteor shower. Another two will be their Guides back to the sky, normal inhabitants of Lorne who managed to get caught up in this mess. Aside from that, there will be two major NPCs important to the story: the Crow Man, who will be your in-game guide, and Unkindness, who sheds feathers where she walks.

A quick briefing on the world of Lorne: Think of it as lifted out of a darker, more magical version of the English countryside. The names and culture in general are English, though there might be some differences (along the lines of Rus, Hilry, Jesca, Simon).

There are three townships of note, an abandoned church at the end of a long path, and some other notable places. I'll have a map up soon, both here and in the first post of the SB itself.

As far as magic goes, each person has control of one type of natural element—venom, heat, decay, light, etc. The only ones off-limits are the big four (earth, fire, air, water), so be creative! Just don't make yourself overpowered, okay? Also, since our cast is so small, let's try not to overlap magical abilities too much, or else we'll have five characters who can all do the same thing.

Overall, I just want this to be a kind of surreal thing for us all to have fun with. It's originally taken from an idea I have for an RPG, so I'll probably use game terminology for no discernible reason, haha.

Any questions or concerns, anything I need to clarify?

- - -

The Map
Spoiler! :

Sile: The largest town in Lorne. Situated on the river in a prime location for both fishing and farming, and with a stretch of hills behind it, Sile is home to many of the workmen of Lorne, as well as being a center of trade between the three towns.

Felden: The second-largest town in Lorne. On the slope up to the cliffs, Felden is caught between the river and the forest, but it's got some of the best land for farming in all of Lorne. Home to much of the food supply.

Verden: The smallest town in Lorne. It's in the best location to harvest wood from the light woods nearby, though it's also regarded as the most dangerous due to its proximity to the forest. It's the closest to the abandoned chapel and the maze.

Chapel: An abandoned chapel with a broken stained-glass window that stands on the edge of the forest. There's a graveyard in the back, and a path that leads north, into the forest. The altar is scorched for some reason.

Maze: A mysterious hedge maze that no one has ever been able to get through. Those who do enter may not leave, and the walls seem to rearrange themselves every once in a while. What secrets does it hold?

Old Woman's House: The home of an old woman who doesn't like to talk to anyone. She especially refuses to talk to the Fallen and Guides, since she says they're "touched by that devil crow". Her garden has a variety of herbal remedies.

Light Woods: A section of woods that isn't quite as foreboding or dark as the forest itself. The wood used in Lorne mostly comes from here. If you take the path past the Old Woman's house to here, you'll find a little clear pond.

Forest: Death and damnation to those who live in Lorne. The home of demons that wander the land at night, the forest is, for all intents and purposes, an evil place that no one dares explore. Somewhere in its depths, there's a castle that used to belong to the lord of Lorne, and now that castle has been taken by Unkindness.

River: The river that feeds all of Lorne. People have followed it to either end, but it seems to simply disappear at the edges once they get far enough, and they wake up in their beds at home the next morning. Still, there are fish in it, and the water's clean enough to bathe and drink.
Last edited by Vervain on Sun May 01, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
stay off the faerie paths

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun May 01, 2016 3:00 am
ScarlettFire says...

*rolls into DT* can I claim a Fallen?
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun May 01, 2016 3:15 am
Hattable says...

*claims Fallen pleeeaase*
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

425 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2016 3:18 am
Vervain says...

That's all of our Fallen claimed! We still have two Guides left - to note, Guides and Fallen are just as important! Fallen just fell from the sky, and Guides have lived on the earth their whole lives.

Noting: I retain the right to refuse characters and reopen spots if it's taking too long for us to get started! ^^

--edit: Also! Please let me know what kind of element you're thinking of having your character control; even if it's just "I'm tossing around these two", then other people will have an idea of what NOT to take to avoid overlap.

Right now, I'm tossing around venom and decay, and I do think I'll actually change my character to a Guide c:

So there's one Fallen and one Guide left to claim!

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun May 01, 2016 4:35 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Can I join and be a guide please?
100% autistic

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sun May 01, 2016 4:38 am
Lightsong says...

Can I join? c:
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

425 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2016 4:50 am
Vervain says...

@Lightsong please post in the DT instead of here ^^

425 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2016 4:52 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

Of course!

Also, I've finished a quick map, so if any of you want reference, here it is. I'll have a rundown on each visible area up soon. c:

My character is going to be the daughter of the woodsman in Verden, just so y'all know.
Last edited by Vervain on Sun May 01, 2016 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

141 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2016 4:59 am
Hattable says...

*I don't know if I completely missed an important piece of information, but... Whereabouts on the map are we starting out? Or is everyone separated? Orrrr?*

425 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2016 5:02 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

Oh! I'll give you all the details as we get closer, but we're going to be starting all spread out to begin with! So pick a town you'd like your Fallen or Guide to live in, and develop their history with that town, because that's where you'll be starting off.

Just don't get too attached... You never know what could happen in Lorne. :P

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun May 01, 2016 5:08 am
Holysocks says...

If nobody else wanted heat as an element (and if guides have element stuff XP), can I nab it? I mean I'm fine with other people having the same thing as me but I just mean 'cause of what you said and all.
100% autistic

425 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2016 5:10 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

Guides do have elemental magic!

Everyone in Lorne has some kind of elemental magic ^^ The Fallen have it because of their history, and the Guides and other humans have it due to the magical rift that tore Lorne away from the rest of the world.

And I'm fine with you taking heat!

141 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2016 5:13 am
Hattable says...

"I'm fine with you taking heat!"

*XP*

I'm considering ice as my power, if that's allowed. I know water isn't, but iiiicccee. I'm also tossing around darkness with it, if that's a valid... elemental... power... thing.

Ice and darkness being tossed around here, folks!

425 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2016 5:16 am
Vervain says...

Haha, ice and darkness are both fine! Darkness might actually give you an edge up in the Forest, considering that's about as dark as dark can get :P

As far as ice goes, though, remember that this is based on English weather, so there might not be enough chills or frost for ice to be a very viable power for your character without having the energy sink of creating it each time.

141 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2016 5:18 am
Hattable says...

*sets down ice* >>

*pokes plants and juggles along with darkness* >>>

I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.
— Roald Dahl