z

Young Writers Society

When the World is Dying DT

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:32 pm
Basil says...

Hehe ... hehehehe >;3
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:43 pm
View Likes
Vellichor says...

So.

Much has happened.

First point. We need to arrive at an acceptable ending (which I think we have pretty well planned out) in order for a potential film to have a good chance of hooking a director/ producer/ acting interest.

Second point. Question for all involved from Leslie; Do we want a movie or an ongoing show? Movies can't be all that terribly long with run times between 2 1/2 to 3 hours historically bringing the most interest. The thing with a show though is that IF we could get that far along in the process, interest would be minimal until shows like The Walking Dead have run their course, as similar shows typically are seen only as copycats, regardless of how similar they actually are in reality; first looks are hugely important, and a TV show about a zombie-like apocalyptic event would tend to draw such conclusions and turn people off before even reading more into it. Back to movies; with a shorter run time, of course we would have to condense... so there's that....

Third point; She thinks we have a good story here, and she's not one to say things just to make people feel good about themselves xD. Her biggest thing was that we need to try and avoid cliche at all costs, at least until the project reaches a higher level of popularity and thus can get away with more. Something else we could look into if we decide to go the TV route is that straight to digital release is huge with Netflix and other streaming services right now, and thus would mean fast income, easy (and cheaper) publicity in addition to resources provided by Netflix itself in terms of props, extras and filming locations.

Soooooooo..... yeah. Thoughts? There's more to talk about as well, but I'll save the rest of what we spoke about for a session, perhaps on the WFP with more people present :) Cheers!

@Basil @XxXTheSwordsmanXxX @Jexy @TheForgottenKing @LordZeus
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:28 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

@Vellichor

Holy crap...that is a lot to work with. Alright...to address the different points. Of course, we have several big endings that we can address. There is, of course, making it to England and the safe zone that is our large overhead goal. A second ending is the major battle with Yuko and getting a boat to make it across the sea to England. Then we have this new villainess that we have had pop up thus far that is a bit of trouble. IF we go the motion picture route, we either need to end it with the boat or the arrival at England. If we could the digital release then we can incorporate the entire story into this.

Holy cow this is exciting!

24 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:54 am
Basil says...

Oh my damn ... okay, I just need a minute to breathe xD

I have been thinking a lot about how we can go about this. We have SO MUCH going on here, and I thought that a TV series would be better to incorporate all the ideas we've got. However, a movie would make it that much more intense. The thing with the movie, like you said, is that we can't really go over the three hour mark. That would mean, yeah, cutting out a lot of it. But then with movies, we could maybe have two movies? Or three? I know trilogies can get annoying, although we can have a lot more things in it. And the first movie could be the group meeting up, and then we have Yuko as the main antagonist, and the group has to find a way to get to the coast. Maybe it ends with the group on a sail boat getting picked up by the Italian/Spanish navy? (If we go with that idea, of course. I'm just going with all the ideas and how it can be extended) The second movie could be them arriving in Europe, ending up in Elena's camp, and learning how horrible it is. Having to endure Elena and her camp and being split up, having to work to reunite, and all that fancy jazz. The ending could be they escape from the camp and they're on the run or something. Maybe they find a rebel group or they come across some weird stuff? Who knows. The movie could end with them "learning" that England was ravaged by the disease and there is no one left, and it isn't a safe zone. The third movie could be the group wandering Europe, either on the run from Elena's people, or maybe something else. And maybe they decide t go to England anyway, just to see if what they've heard is true, and so they make the journey through northern Europe and have to find another working boat to get them across the straight, and then when they get to England's shores, they find that there is a huge wall around the entire island (I'm just throwing ideas out there, I am definitely open to anyone challenging my ideas) and they can't get in or they find a door being manned by two Immune, and they try to get in, but the Immune are all, "No, you can't come in. This place is quarantined." And the group gets all mad and someone starts screaming about all the stuff they've gone through just to get here, and they've lost friends and they've almost died on several occasions and they've escaped crazy warlords with their sanity barely intact. And then there is like ... a moment of silence, then the gates open and they have to go through all this stuff like showering with these special soaps and whatever, then having to sit alone for a week being tested for any traces of the disease and stuff like that, and maybe that's when they learn that Harry has the cure in his blood and he gets taken away and the group gets brought into a second area where they go through physical tests and then sit written tests, then they're finally reunited, and get to meet with the Prime Minister of England, or maybe the King/Queen? They tell their story, and then they get to go into the country to find that it's ... empty? Everyone is Immune and white through the tests they've gone through? The entire country has been rebuilt and rehabilitated and there's like a really happy society unaware of the horrors outside the walls? Or maybe it is just a barren wasteland and the wall is actually a city? Ideas, ideas xD And that's just what I think COULD happen. With a TV series we can extend and work more on minor details and have more subplots going on. Although yeah, as has been stated, there'd be a lot of competition with The Walking Dead and other post-apocalyptic shows. But I mean ... surely there isn't anything but time for this, right?

Gah! I forgot! And I have an idea for something to happen while the group is making their way to the coast, an idea from the novel I based this SB off of (My novel, not someone else's xD) but I'm worried it might seem too ... coincidental? Or just ... way too out of the way. I dunno. It's been just an idea for ages. And it might also put Wyvern too much in the spotlight, which is something I don't want to do. Every character should be equally important!

Hearing that we have something good makes me very happy. So well done, everyone. I'm proud of you all :3 And I should also say thank you for joining the SB and making it so awesome!! Okay, mushy stuff aside, avoiding cliches is quite hard, but I'm sure we can find a way around that :3 And going with Netflix doesn't sound too bad ^^ Um just ... when you say fast income ... will we be getting a share of the money? Or is that just a general list of the perks?

As for going more in depth with things, yes, going on the WFP would be a lot better. So we need to organise a time when everyone can be on the pad and we can all talk together. This is also a really great chance for those that haven't had a chance to post to get back into the SB if they want.

Also @Vellichor thank you! Thank you so much for this!! It really means a lot!
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

42 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:00 am
View Likes
Vellichor says...

@Basil I wan't entirely sure how to word that "fast income" bit, but yes, money is what I was speaking of. Of course, exact shares would be largely up to the writers of the show, but the typical shares would be a certain percentage to everyone who has so far participated in the SB, with a larger share going to Basil as the creator. The screenwriters themselves would more than likely be not us, unless we were able to come up with a compelling script in a format that was acceptable in a first person context. It is my understanding that we would be credited as original story writers, while others would be brought in to adapt it for screen use (though Leslie said to let you all know that the norm is certainly not the only option; If we wanted to be the sole writers and people in charge of direction, it IS possible, if somewhat less..... easy.)

So in short, the answer is yes to both that we would receive a share, AND that it is among others in the list. Also included is that Netflix's policy with such releases (typically where a whole season is released at a time) is that copyright is not something we would have to worry about, IF we were ok with the company taking on all potential legal fees if copyright is broken. The only downside I can see to this is that Netflix would be a co-owner of the copyright, along with the lot of us.... So..... do with that what you will :|

Something @LordZeus and I were talking about is the addition that focusing on more than a few key characters makes to a story. One of my own personal favorite things about shows like Lost or The Walking Dead is that different characters cycled in and out so that viewers could get a better feel for them, while still sort of focusing on a few key players and not losing the story's drive. It is my own personal opinion, shared by Zeus that a TV format would be better able to accomplish this than a movie, though the intensity of a movie should not yet be discounted either. Lots to process, I know xD I think a group planning sesh would be beneficial, for a few reasons, let alone to finish filling you all in on what all we spoke about: Might be hard to believe, but what I've already posted is just the tip of the iceberg!

@Basil Absolutely the least I could do for this SB. It's a fantastic idea that deserves to grow and be shared :) It is I that should be thanking you for originally including me in this, so- Thank you :)
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

24 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:23 am
Basil says...

Ah, well, that settles that question. And that would be pretty cool, if we all got money. I'm not worried about getting paid. That wasn't the first thing that came to mind for me. Although it would be good if everyone got a bit ^^ As for the actual script writing ... I do know how to write scripts in the correct format (I did it in English class and with a professional script writer while doing some acting with him) but it would also depend on what everyone else says. I'm not fussed with who does the writing, just as long as we all get recognition. If we are going to be the sole writers ... or at least working together on this with other writers, would it be worth having a way to be able to speak more directly to each other? If people don't want that, then I'm okay with it. Because, you know, privacy and such.

I don't know how I feel about Netflix being a co-owner of this with us. But I mean ... it's up to everyone else.

Okay, yeah, that's actually pretty good. Then we can add in that other group of people that are also heading to England! And other people on their own missions. Maybe the group split up somewhere, because of circumstances? That would be pretty intense. I was thinking it would be better as a TV series, but a movie would be really cool. Gah, I dunno xD There is the other idea ... will it be live action? I'd imagine so, but there is also ... animation. Not too sure if it would take away the intensity of the whole concept, but it's something different, right? Just food for though.

Jeez, my mind is going crazy with all these possible ideas xD

Aww c: Thank you! And of course I'd include you! You're such a brilliant writer! Everyone here is!!

Oh, um, also. I can't get onto WFP on my laptop. I haven't tried with my phone yet, but ... is anyone else having that problem?
Of course I am.
Why?

107 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:39 pm

@Basil Yeah I think WFP is down.

42 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:47 pm
Vellichor says...

@Basil I've been having the same issue. I think it happens every once in a while when their servers are overtaxed and they have to reboot. Usually doesn't last more than a few days at most. Also, I agree with the Netflix co-owner thing being a litttttle dicey-sounding to me. I THINK that we have the OPTION of turning down that part of a potential contract, except that in doing so we would also take on responsibility for taking legal action against anyone who used the premise without copyright permission. We'll figure it out.

I do think that if/ as this progresses, a more direct method of communication would be helpful, at the very least. I leave it up to the others in any case, and whatever the decision is, we should respect if someone would rather not ;z
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

107 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Well e-mail chains are usually pretty direct. Other than that would be something like Skype.

107 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Writer pad is back up!

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:20 pm
Amnesia says...

Id very much like to be apart of this guys
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:25 pm
LordZeus says...

Hey @Basil schedule a time where we can all get together to talk about this on WFP. Please take into account I am under IST (Indian Standard Time) when making such a meeting time 11:30pm my time is the latest I'd be able to come on. Thank you.

24 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:19 pm
Basil says...

I was thinking emails or Skype, yes. So we can discuss that in the WFP.

Don't worry, @LordZeus, I'll make sure the time is okay for you. Actually, that's really helpful. Can everyone give their time zones and the times they'll be available? I won't be free today for the most part, and realistically I can't do much until Saturday afternoon. But hey, things change.

@Remembrance you are a part of this!!

We'll set up a time and day when everyone can all talk, and we'll sort out what we can. I've also gotten some ideas from my Nanna and boyfriend about possible endings, or things happening, and some realistic scenarios. And it's a good thing WFP is back up!!
Of course I am.
Why?

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:43 pm
View Likes
Amnesia says...

I can make a discord if anyone is interested!

I'm on UTC -07:00 and I'm usually available all day everyday
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

24 Reviews

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:41 am
Basil says...

Okay, so I can have digital clocks on my phone set for different cities. Thing is, I can't really go by time zones. SO, if you don't feel comfortable giving the city or town you live in, a major city that's in the same time zone is perfectly fine. I just need to have the times. Then I can work out a time for the WFP meeting. Lol, meeting.

@Jexy @Vellichor @XxXTheSwordsmanXxX @Eternity I need your times please ^^

@LordZeus @Remembrance I have your times, and I've realised that it's going to be a little difficult working around the time differences already. Wooo! A challenge!

Also something I thought about ... is there going to be like ... a main coordinator, or like, group leader for this?
Of course I am.
Why?

The reason a boat sinks isn't the water around it. It sinks when water gets into it. Don't let what's happening around you weigh you down.
— dalisay