z

Young Writers Society

Oceanside Academy for the... Eccentric DT

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:10 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

Rawr. This is where we talk about stuffs.

This is stuff you need to know

Class List

Spoiler! :

Master Schedule List So Far
First Period: Science
Jay Bennett
Briony Carter
Lucifer Shi Gohan
Dimitri Ivanov
Kaito Yasushi
Stetson Cassidy
Keigan Halter
Cora Brennan
Arena Potter

History
Bela Singh
Aaron Van Amsberg
Trxianna Argyle
Chris Keiko
Nyx Blackwell
Lilah Banes
Harris Abner
Eliza Murphy
Matthew Ledet

Second Period: Science
Bela Singh
Aaron Van Amsberg
Trxianna Argyle
Chris Keiko
Nyx Blackwell
Lilah Banes
Harris Abner
Eliza Murphy
Matthew Ledet

History
Jay Bennett
Briony Carter
Lucifer Shi Gohan
Dimitri Ivanov
Kaito Yasushi
Stetson Cassidy
Keigan Halter
Cora Brennan
Arena Potter

Third Period
Art
Bela Singh
Nyx Blackwell
Keigan Halter
Harris Abner
Cora Brennan

Band
Lucifer Shi Gohan
Eliza Murphy
Chris Keiko

Choir
Trixianna Argyle

Fitness
Aaron Van Amsberg
Dimitri Ivanov
Kaito Kasushi
Jay Bennett
Lilah Banes
Stetson Cassidy
Arena Potter
Matthew Ledet
Briony Carter

Fourth Period
Art
Trixianna Argyle
Lucifer Shi Gohan
Dimitri Ivanov
Briony Carter

Spanish
Bela Singh
Kaito Kasushi
Keigan Halter

Band
Jay Bennett
Lilah Banes
Stetson Cassidy
Harris Abner
Matthew Ledet

Theater
Aaron Van Amsberg
Jay Bennett
Chris Keiko
Nyx Blackwell
Eliza Murphy
Cora Brennan
Arena Potter

Campus layout, rules, and dresscode. If anybody breaks a rule and is caught, I will tell the writer of that character what the punishment will be.

Spoiler! :

How Campus is laid out and campus rules (though rules can be broken)

Rules

1. Boys and girls are allowed to be in each other's rooms with the door open until 7:00 pm, 9:00 pm on weekends.

2. There is no restriction as to how late you stay up but the dorm doors are locked promptly at 10:00 pm on weekdays and midnight on weekends, if you are caught outside the dorm after this time you will be punished. Dorms unlock again at 5:00 am.

3. You are not allowed off campus any times except for Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm and if you leave you must sign out and go with a buddy. People 18+ can come and go as they wish, with or without someone. You are allowed off campus during the week if a parent or guardian signs you out, that's it.

4. The pool is for swim team's use only during the week and open on weekends during normal hours, so from 5 am to 12 pm.

5. Students are required to follow a strict, uniform like dress code in class. Outside of class, students are allowed to dress as they wish as long as it doesn't distract, provoke, or offend others.

Dresscode

Khakis, dress pants or skirts are allowed. Skirts may not be shorter than fingertip length and cannot be denim or spandex. Boys are expected to wear collared/button down/polo shirts and girls are expected to wear a blouse. Attire should be kept neat and clean.

Campus Layout

Boys and girls dorms are separated by the recreational building. Laundry rooms are located at the top floor of each dorm, each dorm floor has 35 rooms, for purposes of the SB all chars of respective genders will be on one floor. There are approx 1500 students with 2 students to a room.

The recreational building is open at all times from dorm opening to dorm closing. The bottom floor includes the cafeteria and the gym and the pool, the middle floor is composed of 10 large game rooms with TVs, sofas, bean bag chairs, game systems, pool table and foozball etc. and the top floor is the library. Each floor is huge.

There are 3 education buildings that are opposite the dorms and recreation building. The first is across from boys dorm, that's the math and science building. The one in front of the rec building is the arts building and the building over after that is history and English. There's a large courtyard between the two with picnic tables and such. The entire school is in a clearing with woods about a half a mile away in each direction.

Off Campus

Oceanside is in LA, but really it's about a half hour away, by a small town. The small town has several different religious buildings, a small mall, a movie theater, a few cute restaurants and boutiques etc. Shuttle buses leave every half hour taking kids back and forth from the town to the school. When students sign out, they are given a lanyard to wear around their necks. This tracks where they are. students who take off the lanyard or do not answer cell phones while off campus lose privileges. Anybody who leaves the town limits lose privileges, etc.

Bell Schedule/Class Times and Teacher Names

Spoiler! :
1st Period-Core Class: 8:00-9:00
Note, 1st block is more advanced. So choose whether your charrie is better at Science or History and then whichever class your charrie is not so good at will be period 2.
Science (Chemistry)- Mr. Schultz
History- Mr. Hodges

2nd Period-Core Class: 9:10-10:10
Science (Chemistry) or History.
i.e. if you had History last block, you will now have science

3rd Period-Elective: 10:20-11:20 Art
Art- Mr. Malady
Spanish- Mr. Rosene
Band- Mr. Ebert
Choir- Ms. Coughlin
Computer Programming- Mr. Smith
Theater- Ms. Hamilton
Fitness- Coach Helms

4th Period-Elective: 11:30-12:30
Art- Mr. Malady
Spanish- Mr. Rosene
Band- Mr. Ebert
Choir- Ms. Coughlin
Computer Programming- Mr. Smith
Theater- Ms. Hamilton
Fitness- Coach Helms

Lunch 12:40-1:40

5th Period-Power Development: 1:50-2:50 Mr. O'Malley

6th Period-Power Development: 3:00-4:00 Mr. O'Malley

5th and 6th Period Power Development Groupings

Spoiler! :

This will only be changed in very special circumstances. I spent a lot of time reviewing your characters before I grouped them in the ways that I did. Some of your characters aren't ready yet for a group, but that may change later on. Also, to mix things up, different characters might have to work together in class just to learn how to work together and use somebody else's power to compliment your own.

Group 1: Elemental
This does not necessarily mean you manipulate an element (Earth, Water, Fire Air), it means that you manipulate some kind of natural material that is found on Earth.
Harris Abner
Eliza Murphy
Nyx Blackwell
Trixianna Argyle
Lucifer Shi Gohan

Group 2: Mental Manipulation
Your character has the ability to change the mental function or perception of themselves or others in some way
Coraline Brennan
Aaron Van Amsberg

Group 3: Physical Enhancement
Your character manipulates his/her bodily functions in some way to make themselves physically more evolved or advanced
Dimitri Ivanov
Stetson Cassidy
Oren Blackburn

Group 4: Physical Placement
Your character has the ability to move or place space, objects in space, or their own bodies at will
Keigan Halter
Matthew Ledet

Group 5: Precognition
Your character has the ability to tell or sense aspects or whole concepts in the future, this power may manifest itself in many different forms or mediums
Lilah Banes
Arena Potter

Independent
Kaito Yasushi - though you will be working extremely closely with Bela Singh

This last group is perhaps an incredibly unique one because of the way their powers are grouped.

Group 6: Physical Transformation/Independent
This just means that your character takes their physical form and in some way, manipulates it into acting like or being something else
Bela Singh
Briony Carter
Jay Bennett
Chris Keiko

Most of these characters will be independent at least 70% of the time because they change physical form in different ways. However, since the basis of their powers is still the same they will still work together. For example, Chris may work with Bela to help her transform into a male animal instead of a female, or Jay may be able to help Briony's other selves blend into their surroundings like a chameleon but not be fully invisible, etc. You just sorta have to play around with it.

Power Grouping Instructors
Spoiler! :
Teachers for the Power Based Classes

The overall supervisor of the class is Mr. O'Malley. He has the ability to conform and to mimic any person's power. Mr. O'Malley at first glance seems like a strict teacher, however, he only acts this way because he is passionate about his students. He is in his mid 50s and has been teaching since he graduated from Oceanside himself. He fully believes that each and every student can reach their maximum potential and he tries to form some sort of individual relationship with each and every student. Many students see him as too strict. He is very fair, he just expects to see hard work and improvement throughout the year. He is the kind of teacher that you could go to in the time of need and while he seems like he's a block of wood on the outside, he's really an old softie on the inside and as long as you show him you're willing to put in the effort, he will go to great lengths to help a student if they need it.

Individual Group Advisors
The group leaders change every year. It is always someone who attended Oceanside and graduated. These positions are more like stepping stones so they are all 18-25 years old. They are there to pay some dues before/after college or because they want to go on to become a teacher at the academy.

Group 1: Elemental: Jade Baxely (20-future professor)
Jade is a patient air user who learned to manipulate certain aspects of other elements during her time at Oceanside. She was one of the most advanced air users ever seen during her time at the academy and was therefore able to spend time learning a few tricks in the other elements. She will be devoted to helping all of the elemental students strengthen their powers as the sensation of using an elemental power is pretty much the same no matter what physical aspect of the Earth you manipulate. Due to the different kinds of physical aspects, however, she relies a lot on Mr. O'Malley for guidance.

Group 2: Mental Manipulation: Adam Bradford (19-college tuition)
Adam's ability lies mainly in compulsion. He can make you do, see, feel or experience basically anything he wants you to. The trick is, he needs to have your attention to do it. For example, Cora can make anyone see an illusion but most wouldn't know it was her doing it if they were to watch someone reacting to one of her illusions. He can also walk (manipulate and form) dreams. However, Adam has to speak and look into your eyes to compel you, which makes it somewhat more conspicuous. He is determined to help the students of this group learn how to control their powers as mental powers tend to be very touchy, difficult to control, and have adverse effects on their users.

Group 3: Physical Enhancement:Ivy Dickens (24-student loans)
Ivy's ability is she has super strength. She can lift anything with no problem at all. She can be very sassy as a result of this and somewhat cocky, but ultimately her focus is still on the students. She is passionate about helping her students to realize how physical powers can scientifically alter the human body, and then how to use this information to further that power into new extremes.

Group 4: Physical Placement: Ben Carter (18-stepping stone to college)
Ben has the ability to teleport objects. It is different from telekensis because he simply makes one object vanish from one spot and appear in another. Before his power was quite weak and he could only move semi-large objects, but he has become more advanced and his able to move people, animals and large objects with little difficulty. His focus is to expand the abilities of his students involved to include not only more control, but also a difference in subjects that powers can be used on with no harm.

Group 5: Precognition: Amy White (25-future professor)
Amy's power originated in dreams and in gut feelings. Before, she could only see visions in dreams and would only have a "gut feeling" that an event was to occur. After 4 years at Oceanside Amy is able to search for people and events for the future. Not only that, but she can predict events at will. Her goal is to allow her students more control in their precognition both in the forms/mediums they come in and their frequency.

Group 6 will always either be working independently or with Mr. O'Malley

Layout and appearance of rooms
Spoiler! :
The dorm rooms are very large, there are 2 twin beds on the floor with a 4 drawered dresser between them. Each bed has a small chest of drawers at the foot and there is a closet opposite the two beds with a red line down the middle. On the wall of the closet, there is a door that leads to the bathroom, which looks like this:
Image But there are two showers that are surrounded by a curtain instead of glass and no tub. each bathroom is shared by two rooms so there is another door in the bathroom that will lead to the room next door. (There's obviously going to be two toilet stalls that you don't see).

Students must keep their spaces clean and the dorm advisers do a room and bathroom check once a week randomly to make sure everything is kept clean. Typically schools have a janitorial staff that cleans the bathrooms and there is one large communal bathroom at the end of the hall but in this school, they thought it would be a better investment to not have a janitorial staff clean the large dorms and that it would save money over time.
Last edited by Gravity on Thu May 05, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:06 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Hi! I'm interested in this! May I claim a female character with telekinesis? I promise to keep it reasonable. She's powerful, but unpopular, and it doesn't always work when she wants it to? Sound good?
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

271 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:33 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

Yeah absolutely! Even if she is popular and it does work, that would be totally fine. I just don't want characters walking around and doing things to limit other characters unless it's previously agreed upon :) @ScarlettFire

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:35 am
ScarlettFire says...

Awesome! Profile will be up within a week (hopefully). You may need to pester me if it's not. XD

271 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:36 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

So excited. I don't think I've ever been in an SB with you and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do :D @ScarlettFire

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:41 am
ScarlettFire says...

Haha, I don't think we have ever been in one together, either! Definitely exciting!

Also, what's the age range for these kids as a general guideline? You didn't mention it in the main SB post, so I thought I better ask. Y'know, just in case. XD

271 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:48 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

@ScarlettFire 14-19 but I'm expecting chars mostly older, so you may want to start at 16 (just as a suggestion)

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:53 am
ScarlettFire says...

Ah. I've got my char at 15. So that works perfectly!

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:07 pm
Poopsie says...

can I play.

I wanna play .o.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

271 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:57 am
Gravity says...

@Poopsie of course! Everybody is welcome!

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:05 am
Poopsie says...

cp done ;3
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:14 am
LordZeus says...

Ooh I so wanna join this. Unfortunately I'm way too busy with my other 4 SBs plus school to do so. Any chance you'll still be accepting in April ? (Probably not, I know)

271 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:17 pm
Gravity says...

@LordZeus Duh! New characters always spice things up later in the storybook :)

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:19 pm
Lefty says...

Sounds awesome! I'll try to get my CP up soon. :)
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

271 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:24 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

@LeftyWriter wonderful!

If you receive a bribe, you must report it in your income.
— John Oliver