z

Young Writers Society

Wynbald, School of Magic DT

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Pompadour says...

Ask questions, claim characters, discuss here!
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

396 Reviews

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:42 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

Some info:

Places:

The Castle:

The castle consists of six floors in all, each of which are divided into four wings--the North, South, East and West wings--but three of the castle's six floors are sealed off for ''construction purposes''. Security is tight. No one is allowed out on the grounds after sunset or before dawn. The land is mostly hilly, but the grounds are considerably much smaller than those of Hogwarts. There is a wood that begins where the castle grounds end. The Dining Hall and bathrooms are all on the ground floor. The kitchens are in the basement. Places within the castle are not limited to, but include:

1] The Library, which is locked most of the time because it is barely used. Every teacher has a key to it. It is a large room, stocked with a large collection of books as well as scrolls of parchment.

2] The Dorms. The boys' dorms are on the first floor, while the girls' dorms are on the second floor. These are large, spacious rooms, each with a common room attached.There are two houses--Wynder and Thwalt, but those taking part in the trial-period will not be sorted.

3] The Quidditch Pitch.

4] The Greenhouses. There are two of these. The third one is currently under construction.

A map of the castle will be posted soon.

Maps of different ground levels as enspoilered before.

Spoiler! :
1] Ground Floor:

Thyne

A largely muggle village that is two hours' walk from Wynbald, Thyne is home to two wizarding haunts: the Pewter Cauldron (a pub not dissimilar to the Leaky Cauldron, but considerably grimmer), and the House of Cards, which is owned by a self-proclaimed seer called Jeremiah Palewyth and sells all sorts of wizarding knick-knacks + numerous other articles of interest.

Students are allowed to visit the House of Cards under adult supervision and students above-fifteen may enter the Pewter Cauldron.

The Staff:

Wynbald offers more or less the same subjects as Hogwarts, except Divination and Muggle Studies. It does, however, also teach Alchemy and Spell Structure, two advanced classes that depend on much experimentation and rigorous study + spellwork.

Note: If you are playing a member of the staff, you are free to choose an alliance. You may either side with Jemima Gollonk or with the students. You are free to decide if your character taught at Wynbald during the first time it opened in 1998, but if your member of staff has only just begun teaching at Wynbald, please click the spoiler below for details on how they were hired, etc.

Spoiler! :
All newly-hired staff members were, as is the case with the students, sent owls that gave them little to no choice in the matter of their work. These letters contained threats, the nature of which is up to the character and the history you give them. All members of the teaching staff are connected to influential people in the magical world and are reasonably skilled in their area of expertise.

NPCs:

-The gatekeepers, Paul and Ned.

-Professor Harold Lumpty (Herbology) - A short, stout man who is always jumpy and carries a perpetual guilt-ridden look about him. Was he a criminal in his past life? Or is he just as wary of the intimidating Jemima Gollonk as the rest of the staff appears to be?

-Professor Alberta Higgins (Defence Against the Dark Arts) - A reserved, dour-faced young woman who is known for her sharp wit and lack of patience around her students. She is not well-liked because of her propensity to hand out punishments for the smallest of mistakes. There's also the added fact of her being the Headmistress' secretary, which means no one wants to get on her bad side.

-Rochester, the caretaker, librarian, and school nurse. A quiet fellow who hardly speaks but is forever rushing around everywhere. He has a five-year-old son, Josef, who is a very cheerful, adventurous child.

-Professors of Arithmancy and Care of Magical Creatures.

-Others.
Last edited by Pompadour on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:03 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Sure, go on, I'll claim a place :) For a student - a female pureblood probably! With lots of older siblings - I played a similar character before and she was so much fun.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:07 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

Decided I don't want to do it >.>

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:34 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

I'll claim a spot as a student too!
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:42 pm
View Likes
hermione315 says...

Hi Pomp! This sounds like a really neat idea. I've never done a storybook before, so I might need a little help figuring out what to do. If that's okay, I'd like to claim a place as one of the students please!

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:12 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

May I reserve a student?
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:18 pm
Europa says...

What exactly are the rules for Language and romance?
@Pomp

396 Reviews

Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:09 pm
Pompadour says...

@TheFantasy14 Adding the rules now! But swearing is to be kept to a minimum and romance must be ... PG? I'd give it an overall 12+ rating.

@HazelGrace16, you may ;)

@hermione315, welcome!

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:16 pm
Mea says...

This sounds epic. Can I reserve Professor Turnball?
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

45 Reviews

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:25 am
Europa says...

In that case, Student for me, please!

396 Reviews

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:22 am
Pompadour says...

Done, done~

Two slots left! Thanks for joining, guys~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:05 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I'll take Professor Friedrich!
stay off the faerie paths

45 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:42 pm
View Likes
artsy says...

If it's still open, I'd like to claim Professor Knoll!
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

45 Reviews

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:47 pm
artsy says...

2 quick questions @Pomp
- Is it considered too mature if my character's husband was kidnapped, and the threat for the job at Wynald was (not verbatim) "If you don't take the position, you will never see your husband again"?

-Is it alright to post an original rough sketch of my character as a supplement with the written description of her appearance?
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
— Lewis Carroll