z

Young Writers Society

Orphan DT

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:48 pm
Robusto says...

Here's some of the basic stuffs regarding the world of Orphan.

Planets

Civilized Planets

Zigris: Teth Home world. Much like Earth in climate diversity

Kooph: Zimbar home world. Polluted and 65% of land is covered in city and industry

Ghest: Shrall Home world. Barren, cold, and harsh.

Nuvia: Capital planet of the united species federation. Tropical climate except for the poles.

Ancoran: Jen-Kor home world. Has an almost Alaskan climate to it.

Zantus: Weloy home world. About 50% desert and 50% tropical jungle.

Cialan: Highest population of humans. Earthlike climate diversity.

SP139: Silvix Home world. Most of the Sylvix have all crammed onto the same continent.

Ormin IV: Kiebla home world.

Earth: Human home world. Very far from other planets. Even with advanced space travel technology, it takes several weeks to travel from Earth to Nuvia.

Uncivilized/ sparsely civilized planets and other places of importance

Turx: Barren desert world rich in various metals.

Briggup: A jungle world home to many space pirates and other criminals, it’s so out of the way from any civilized planets that the military can’t spare the resources to do anything about them.

Oculus 5: More of a moon than a planet, its only notable feature is a military base that provides watch for any approaching armies from Ghest.

Iscariot: A moon made entirely out of glass, the Jen-Kor have declared it off limits to anyone, including their own species.

Dealer’s Station: A veritable floating black market, this space station is a large mesh of hundreds of ships from around the galaxy. Anything can be bought here, from drugs to ships to people to WMDs, everyone has something to offer here. Oddly enough, little to no crime occurs here. Aside from the buying of the illegal items that is.

(Want to make one up? Go for it. Just try not to be incredibly vague.)

Species

Human: Nuff said.

Zimbar: The Economic superpower of the galaxy, they make almost every major product used by galactic society. They have long sharp noses, though they only have holes in their head for ears. They have pale grey skin, and are very good businessmen, offering service with a smile in any situation. But underneath their jolly exterior is a cold desire to make money (and a little bit of craziness along with that). They fight with projectile weapons rather than lasers, but are better at running away and ambushing than straight combat, though the ones that do fight are freakishly good.

Jen-Kor: A race of philosophers and scholars, they see knowledge as the greatest force in the galaxy. They look like humans, but their faces are severely more gaunt, they have completely black eyes, and have no visible ears. Both males and females are viewed as equal. They prefer to live in seclusion on their home world, and they view trespassers with contempt, but not outright hate. They fight with nanotechnology, using it to teleport, shield, and attack with almost a mystical quality.

Shrall: A warlike race, the Shrall fight amongst themselves almost as much as they do other species. Their skin looks like stony and jagged obsidian due to their planet’s living conditions. Small caliber weapons have no effect on their skin. On top of their skin’s already projectile resistant nature and their full body armor, they have advanced personal energy shields that are resistant to anything but the heaviest of weapons such as grenade launchers and machine guns. Every weapon they use has at least three rotating barrels, from their rifles to their sidearms. Their physiology doesn’t allow them to absorb nutrients from any food but meat and water. As such, they have developed as a cannibalistic people. There are rare cases of albino Shrall, who are employed as assassins rather than soldiers due to their lithe build and color shifting ability for camouflage. Albino Shrall are the only ones that use sniper rifles. Only the Shrall’s civil conflict keeps them from unleashing their full wrath on the galaxy.

Weloy: A race of humanoid dragon’s, they forged a good hearted alliance with the humans. Assimilated into the human military, they are very loyal and fierce fighters. Some go into careers as engineers, while others are soldiers. Though they do look like dragons, they can’t breathe fire. They can use their wings to fly swiftly over a battlefield, making them invaluable to the human military.

Silvix: A race of shiny, silver skinned people, they appear and feel metallic, but are actually organic underneath their skin. They have an odd teardrop shaped head and a single blue eye that glows brightly. They can process data organically, leading to their demand as hackers and technicians. They normally speak in their own language, but are also well versed in other languages including Teth. Some behave almost robot-like, but others have a normal personality (and some develop personalities labeled as abnormal, such as sarcastic personalities). They are resistant only to small caliber guns and knives. Anything stronger can easily kill them.

Teth: A race of birdlike creatures, they are pretty low in galactic society. Not only is their native language almost impossible to understand without a computer translator, but their ragged, grey appearance makes people try and avoid them. They are known for scavenging and salvaging, but they have a thriving society on their home planet. They are experts in stealth, and are employed by private military contractors as scouts and snipers, but they can only use guns with little or no recoil (such as lasers) because of their brittle bones.

Kiebla: A race of semi-aquatic humanoid aliens, their skin is transparent much like a jellyfish, though not to the point where you can look clear through them. Their skin ranges in color from blues to greens and the very rare red skinned ones. Rather than hair, they possess frills on the back of their head that differ in design from person to person. Though their bones are also translucent, their veins aren’t. They are very sly in the way they talk, and are often used as spies or dealers of illegal items.

Abilad: A peculiar alien species, these humanoids can really only be described as arachnids in appearance. They stand like humans, walk like them, and even share similar stature. What’s different though is their spider-like faces, and having two pairs of arms rather than one. While their appearance is somewhat unsettling, they’re demeanor is very friendly. Their home world society has become so affluent since entering galactic trade, 75% of their population would classify as upper-class, providing the galaxy with many useful products. But much like an Earth arachnid, they can move slowly and silently as well as climb rough surfaces with ease, making them excellent assassins.

Yule: Their home world unknown, these mysterious aliens travel about the galaxy bringing rare and powerful weapons, armor, and gadgets to anyone willing to do business with them. But it’s not money they deal in. Rather, they only seek a good story, making mercenaries some of their top clients. Their appearance is almost identical to humans outwardly, but inwardly, they possess much quicker reflexes as well as mental processing power. They are usually identified by their unusual eye colors, such as Purple, Red, and other colors that might not be of the norm for humans.

(Hybrids between the following species can also be made as characters. Human, Jen-Kor, Weloy, Kiebla, and Yule. These species are all genetically capable of producing offspring with each other. All others can only reproduce with their own kind.)

Factions

ISN: The Inter-species Navy is the primary armed force group of the Nuvian government. While it’s primarily comprised of Weloy and human soldiers, many Silvix, Teth, and even Zimbars are parts of it. For someone to join they have to complete a simple form, but in order to be officially let in, they have to spend two weeks at an interspecies training camp. Those left after two weeks are let in. Enlistment age is 20.

The Seer Council: The Jen-Kor’s primary government, they rarely intervene in the affairs of other species, preferring to govern only themselves. There are five Councilor’s elected every fifty years. Four serve various duties , while a fifth is elected Arch Seer and helps make the final decision on everything.

Omni Corp: The Zimbar’s primary company, they make everything from personal defense weapons to electronics to simple human children toys. They operate from small factories on other planets, but they are virtually Omnipresent on their home world. While they do have a system of government, Omni Corp is the real power. It is rumored that they have ties to the slave trade.

The Seer Inquisition: Known for being better in battle than other members of their species, the Seer Inquisition is comprised of fiercely trained Jen-Kor warriors. They still use nanotech for fighting, but also use an ultralight sword that can be swung at incredible speed, due to the nanotech embedded in the blade. None have ever been killed in service. They are called upon to eliminate targets the Jen-Kor see as a threat to their society and beliefs. They have not been used in over four hundred years.

Nebula Shipping: A faceless and downright awful shipping company, it’s a wonder how they stay in business. That’s because they are a cover for the Zimbar slave trade. If someone wants to purchase some of their products, they have to go through a pretty lengthy process before they can obtain the URL to the spacenet website where you can order products from. They also host public auctions on Kooph where they show their best products.

Regno Scourge: A freelance group of Teth mercenary’s, they’re known for being hired for jobs such as sabotage, kidnapping, and smuggling. They are led by a Teth known as Tor Tavor.

The 139th collective: The Silvix government, if that’s what it can be called. The Silvix system of government is a pyramid hierarchy. At the top is a Sylvix president sort of figure, followed by his advisors that serve as mayors of various provinces, then there are the heads of law enforcement, and then there are the citizens. The Silvix are very peaceful, and there planet has the lowest rate of crime, with only .4% of the population having ever committed a crime.

(Stuff will be added as time goes.)

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:03 pm
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

oh robusto. this makes me so happy.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

24 Reviews

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:19 pm
Robusto says...

Feel free to make a character if you'd like to join.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:59 am
TheSilverFox says...

You know what? I might already have a lot of SBs as it stands (and I'm trying to work on posts for at least two of them), not to mention my schoolwork and NaNoWriMo (which involves writing a lot of words over the space of November; in particular, I'm trying to write a novel), but I can't pass the opportunity to join this one. The opening post is absolutely stunning, the diverse number of characters, factions, and places are incredible and captivating, and this looks like a lot of fun.

I'll try to make a character bio either by the end of the tomorrow, Monday, or Tuesday. I have to figure out my character's name/personality/race, etc, but I'm already starting to piece together one as I write this. Yes, yes, this will be fun. *nods*
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

24 Reviews

Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:14 am
Robusto says...

Woohoo! Glad to have you onboard. Please, do advertise this to anyone you feel might be interested.

299 Reviews

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:10 am
TheSilverFox says...

Thanks; this is cool SB, and I'm happy to be here! :D

Hmm...I'm working on my character's profile, and I have one small question: where does the Abilad race live? I notice that none of the major planets seem to be home to the group, although the group's description does mention something about a home world society. Can I create a world for them, can I select one of the worlds on the list, or is there a particular place that you have in mind?

(Seriously though, the fact that few people seem to be willing to join this SB annoys me immensely. This is cool, and I want to see what this SB can become, not see it die because of a lack of participation. *sighs* I suppose I just get passionate about this kind of stuff. <.<)

24 Reviews

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:16 am
Robusto says...

Darn. I knew I was forgetting something. The Abilad were the last aliens I created, and so I forgot to go back and make them a planet.
Go ahead and make them a planet. I'll add it into the list once you do.
Yeah, I've always had trouble starting SBs. Pmd only took off because it dealt with a well known franchise. All my original ones have always faded away. Ghazi was a particularly low blow, since I had so much planned. But I'm hoping my newfound fame in the storybook section will help this one get noticed.

24 Reviews

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:22 am
Robusto says...

@15253: Thank you for submitting your character. Before I accept it though, I should let you know that the Yule are human in appearance, and tend not to settle on planets. However, the option is open for you to create your own alien species of you'd like to keep the character you've created. Just give them a species name other than Yule.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:45 pm
Poopsie says...

WE CAN MAKE OUR OWN SPECIES???

I am joining o.o
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24 Reviews

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 pm
Robusto says...

@verser: wonderful. It's been approved.

@15253: If you'd still like to be a Yule, then it might be best to remove the picture you're using, as Yule look like humans.

54 Reviews

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:19 pm
StupidSoup says...

K. Expect an overhaul tonight

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:43 pm
Poopsie says...

I am, despite being subscribed to this page, not getting any notifs. What is going on O.o
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24 Reviews

Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:22 pm
Robusto says...

And did I mention that this SB will feature my patented Psyche battles?

299 Reviews

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:53 am
TheSilverFox says...

There; my character bio has been submitted, @Robusto. If you want any more info about the world that I've created (like its government and such), feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you what all that I have come up with recently (which isn't much to be honest; it's not easy to create an entire world in the space of a day. :P). Beyond that, I must say that I'm super excited to be participating in this SB (as it is a foray into a genre I haven't not typically written for, and I'd like to step out of my comfort zone and see what happens), and I look forward to seeing what kinds of adventures this SB will produce. :D

Oh, the Psyche Battle system will be here too? Well...this will be interesting, to say the least. o-o

54 Reviews

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:44 am
StupidSoup says...

can I murder all the characters yet :D?

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

I don't think so alliyah, but don't quote me on that.
— TheBlueCat