z

Young Writers Society

The Maze of the Guilds DT

Choose Zyreli's fate

1) Through magic or steel, Zyreli's quest will when he draws his final breath in battle.
23%
2) Let Zyreli meet his end unaware as he foolishly dies by the hands of a trap in one of the Towers.
8%
3) A fate truly worse than death- enslavement. Zyreli was too weak to withstand the stronger forces of those who guard the Pages, and will spend a lifestyle in servitude of them, until age or starvation claims his life.
69%

Total votes : 13

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:03 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Hello, Champions!! Please reserve your spots here... Also, eliminations and Trials will be announced and discussed here.

*butts in* This is also where the point bank will be from now on, meaning this is where you see how much of an advantage you have over the other participants. ;)

Point Bank

22. Unnamed Boros Legionnaire (npc)- 0
21.Tumeric Baharat (npc) - 0
20. Iwanacio Flass (npc) - 0
19. Zyreli Zyherst (npc) - 0
18. Asphyxius Poisonim (15253) - -30
17. Tāne Mahuta Selesnya (Deskro) - -30
16. Revan (npc) - 20
15. Raevelle Aisling Ghornal (npc) - 30
14. Aquanette Evenestra (AstralHunter) - 400
13. Darryon Pippalook (CandyWizard) - 410
12. Mannaric (CandyWizard) - 430
11. Avali Hans Smythe (SpiritedWolfe) - 440
10. Nachtan Telomon Bias (15253) - 465
9. Zefen Gal Fitzbyr (SpiritedWolfe) - 475
8. Nefarias Mora (Deskro) - 635
7. Manelau RiTimm (Steggy) - 715
6. Trykster Rivelle (Chaser) - 720
5. Mirgajan Gedoraws (Steggy) - 790
4. Frost Lorelyne (Poopsie) - 827
3. Lysander Simic (AstralHunter) - 1010
2. Sibylla Rathbone (Chaser) - 1040
1. Severan Calerus Torin (LordZeus) - 1120

Oh look!! A store!!

The entrance code is "Ravnica" (excluding the inverted commas)

Spoiler! :
1) The Bone Gate- Azorius (Mannaric), Orzhov (Revan)
2) The Ebony Gate- Rakdos (Zefen Ga Fitzbyr), Golgari (Asyphixius Poisonim)
3) The Ivy Gate- Gruul (Manelau ReTimm), Simic (Aquanette Evenestra)
4) The Midnight Gate- Dimir (Raevelle Aisling Ghornal), Izzet (Zyreli Zyherst)
5) The Coral Gate- Rakdos (Avali Hans Smythe), Boros (Tumeric Baharat)
6) The Ivory Gate- Selesnya (Darryon Pippalook), Boros ( )
7) The Obsidian Gate- Orzhov (Nefarias Mora), Dimir (Frost Lorelyne)
8 ) The Moss Gate- Golgari (Nachtan Telomon Bias), Selesnya (Tane Mahuta Selesnya)
9) The Sky Gate- Azorius (Iwanacio Flass), Simic (Lysander Simic)
10) The Rust Gate- Izzet (Sibylla Rathbone), Gruul (Mirgajan Gedoraws)
11) The Snow Gate- Guildless (Severan Calerus Torin), Guildless (Trykster Rivelle)

The colour of the Gate name shows into what sector type it enters. The Maze is primarily circular on the outside, so the Gates go around it in a clock-like fashion. The sequence of the sectors are as follows (White, Black, Green, Blue, Red, White, Black, Green, Blue, Red, White)

Okay, on to the mana types and Maze sectors.

White- This type of sector is very misleading. It would use light as a weapon against you, and will have many light-centered traps (like the floor would have a pattern of deadly light, etc) This sector also likes putting the Champions at ease before catching them unawares (thus, it will look safe and quiet just before a monster jumps at you from seemingly nowhere)

Blue- This type of sector focuses on water and the mind. Many of the passages will be partially flooded or have some form of water present, usually filled with water-related beasts. This sector also likes playing with your head, using your senses (like hearing, sight, etc) to confuse, bewilder and make you panic, and the beasts in this type of sector also tends to be more intelligent then the other sectors'...

Black- This type of sector plays with one thing: fear. Filled with many confusing turns and severely dark passages (very little light), this sector's beasts toy with you, breaking you down mentally and emotionally before striking. It is also filled with spirits, who tend to play on your emotions (calling out to you in familiar voices, etc)

Red- This type of sector is the most aggressive. It is filled with fire and heat-related traps, and has violent, blood-thirsty beasts with one agenda: to kill Champions.

Green- This type of sector is filled with plantlife. The walls and passages are overgrown with vines, brambles and other manner of plants, all usually trying to secretly catch and kill Champions. The traps and puzzles usually involve overcoming fears or desires to get through them. The beasts in this sector are wild, but still have a manner of intelligence. They are extremely sneaky and use the plants, passages and natural camouflage to trick Champions.

The following spoiler will contain the information stating how any buffs or penalties influence each Champion (I will continuously update this list depending on the items/passives/etc you purchase)

Spoiler! :
-Aquanette- *White sectors: -20 penalty
*Blue sectors: No penalty or buff
*Black sectors: -20 penalty
*Red sectors: -20 penalty
*Green sectors: No penalty or buff

-Asphyxius: *White sectors: -20 penalty
*Blue sectors: -20 penalty
*Black sectors: No penalty or buff

-Avali: *White sectors: -20 penalty
*Red sectors: No penalty or buff
*Green sectors: -20 penalty

-Cactus Jack: *White sectors: No penalty or buff

-Darry: *White sectors: No penalty or buff

-Frost: *White sectors: -20 penalty

-Lysander: *White sectors: -20 penalty

-Manelau: *White sectors: -20 penalty

-Mannaric: *White sectors: No penalty or buff

-Mira: *White sectors: -20 penalty

-Nacht: *White sectors: -20 penalty

-Nef: *White sectors: No penalty or buff

-Revan: *White sectors: No penalty or buff

-Shade: *White sectors: No penalty or buff

-Sibylla: *White sectors: -20 penalty

-Tryk: *White sectors: No penalty or buff

-Zefen: *White sectors: -20 penalty
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:06 pm
View Likes

Important Information

The following info will surround the Trials and how they are to be done, the points and their use, and of course, the elimination of characters, by both Trial elimination and PvP.

Trials

So, the entire focal point of this SB is the characters' struggle through the Trials until only one survives (no trying to pull a Hunger Games and fool the Maze with deadly berries. It won't work)

These Trials will involve the Champions having to retrieve Trial-specific items to proceed further in the Maze (the loser not having an item) Basically, it's like musical chairs, just with your lives on the line.

This may seem straight forward, but it will involve their Planewalking ability to even be able to complete it. This ability is essentially teleportation, but instead of taking them from A to B instantly, it takes them from A to A, but in another realm, or Plane, of existence. How they do it, depends on person to person (whether the close their eyes, spin around, wave their arms or do a random dance)

The Trials will be given in the SB Challenge Thread, and must be followed to the letter to ensure that your characters even have a shot at proceeding (*glares at @15253 and @Verser*). There will also be a bonus point available per Trial, but only 1 character p/user may receive the points from it. And that brings us to the next category...

The Points system

When completing Trials, you will be rewarded points according to several factors.

The first factor is when you post. What I mean by this is, the sooner you post after a Trial was released, the more points that character will receive (so if you are first to post for Trial 1, you'd get 220 points, with the value decreasing until Champion 22, thus the last to post, who'll get only 10 points)

The second factor is how the conditions of each Trial were met. With this I simply mean, the character will receive points based on whether they completed every detail of the Trial stated in the Challenge correctly (so please pay close attention to what I want then... Also, absence of Trial from a post is immediate elimination)

The third is how much you wrote. This category will award points based on the length of the post, aka how many words you wrote per post. However, writing a 2500 word post won't award 2500 points, but rather 250 (thus 10% of the word count, with the initial point cap being 250, so for the first Trials it won't be beneficial to write 4000 words)

What is the use of these points then? Well, it has two, the first of which is the Merchant.

The Merchant will be a way for each character to gain buffs and advantages (some temporary, some permanent), at the expense of your points total. He will be available from the first Trial, but be careful when using your points. (Also, when buying a item or possible temporary follower, please write it how you got it in the Maze. The Merchant is not a character, so they must find/tame/etc the items. Buffs and spells can just be used)

The reason why you should be careful with your spenditure of points, is because the points also get used for what I consider the fun part: the Eliminations...

Elimination

Now, the fun part :twisted:

So, there are two methods of elimination. Trial and PvP. Let's discuss the former first.

After each Trial, all the points will be placed on the list, which from now on will be sorted according to points, from the least to the most (the list on the first post of DT)

To put it simply, the less points you have, the more likely you are for elimination, with the lowest Champion being eliminated.

Since we have npcs in the Maze now, no one will be eliminated for the first few Trials, but the points add up continuously (unless you spend them, of course)

When you are at the bottom of the list after the last npc gets eliminated, you are to write out that character in the next Trial (so the points determine who will die with the following Trial, as simple as that)

The other method is PvP.

This one is much more complicated, since this has to do with the Merchant, the points, and the collaboration and consent between two users.

Obviously, since it is a Maze of death and a survival competition, Champions will encounter one another, and may fight. They may also injure one another, but not fatally if it is without consent.

From the Merchant will be available PvP chips, so to even consider a PvP, you put yourself at a point-related risk. With this chip, you are allowed to PvP eliminate another character.

But, since I do not tolerate godmodding, you can't up and kill every character. You will therefore have to discuss a PvP battle between two characters with the other character's user. You should also keep it fair, and therefore come to me, so I can set it up as a poll in the DT, and let the users vote for who should win... (to avoid godmodding. When it is between your own characters, I frankly don't care, as long as you don't do in for the lols...)

The post should also be a collab post then, with the loser writing the first half of the fight, and the winner the second.

Hunger and Other needs

Hunger and thirst are basic needs for a reason, so our characters will have to eat and drink to maintain their strength. Failure to do so will have consequences, on which I shall elaborate later. First, I shall state how long each character's supplies will last.

Spoiler! :
Aquanette
♦ increased consumption requirements*
~ Moderate Supplies** (two units)
~ Small Knapsack***

Asphyxius
♦ normal consumption requirements*
~ no supplies** (zero units)
~ no knapsack***

Avali
♦ increased consumption requirements
~ no supplies (zero units)
~ no knapsack

Cactus Jack
~ no knapsack

Darry
♦ normal consumption requirements
~ Moderate Supplies (three units)
~ Small Knapsack

Frost
~ no knapsack

Lysander
~ Moderate Supplies (three units)
~ Small Knapsack

Manelau
~ no knapsack

Mannaric
~ Small Supplies** (one unit)
~ Small Knapsack

Mira
~ no knapsack

Nacht
♦ undead resilience*
~ no knapsack

Nef
~ no knapsack

Revan
~ no knapsack

Shade
~ Small Supplies (one unit)
~ Small Knapsack

Sibylla
~ no knapsack

Tryk
~ no knapsack

Zefen
♦ undead resilience
~ no knapsack

* = hunger/thirst increase rate
1. "normal consumption requirements" indicates that the concerned character will use one unit of supplies each Trial
2. "increased consumption requirements" indicates that the concerned character's supplies last one Trial less
3. "undead resilience" indicates that the concerned character's supplies last twice as long

** = supplies
1. Small Supplies last for one Trial
2. Moderate Supplies last for three Trials

*** = backpacks
1. The Small Knapsack is what everybody who brought their own supplies has.

There will undoubtedly be a few questions concerning this information, so I shall endeavour to answer them pre-emptively.

Why do some characters start with supplies, but mine doesn't?
These characters' creators explicitly mentioned in the character profiles that they would be taking supplies into the Maze.

Why do some characters start with a knapsack, but mine doesn't?
If your character had brought along supplies, they'd have kept it in some form of a bag - we default all pouches, satchels, etc. to the Small Knapsack.

Why do some characters start with more supplies than others?
The value of the supplies depends on the description the character's creator gave in the concerned character profile. The Small Backpack only allows Small Supplies or Moderate Supplies, so the characters will have to buy a Large Knapsack if they want to carry Ample Supplies.

Why do some characters consume supplies at half the rate of others?
The undead should technically not require sustenance at all, so their supplies take the form of an energy source (like a Soul Gem). Not only do their supplies last twice as long, but they suffer less from the consequences of not using supplies. However, being undead has the drawback of scaring the temporary followers, which means they need to spend 50 more points to enlist their service.

Why does my character have to consume more supplies than other characters?
Larger beings such as centaurs, minotaurs, ents, etc. will naturally require more supplies to sustain themselves. For example, Moderate Supplies will last them only two Trials, instead of three, while Small Supplies will provide insuffient sustenance. However, they have the benefit of making temporary followers feel safer, thereby causing them to stay with them for two Trials instead of just one.

What happens when my character doesn't use any supplies?
For the first Trial, the characters don't have to use any supplies, because we assume they will have eaten beforehand. From the second Trial onwards, however, the characters will have to consume one unit of supplies during each Trial; if the characters don't have supplies going into a Trial, they need to find and consume them before they finish the Trial. Failure to do so will result in a penalty.

What is the penalty for not consuming supplies?
If a character completes a Trial without consuming supplies (excepting the first Trial), they will accrue a penalty of 10x points for each Trial they go without consuming supplies. For example, if an elf or centaur does not consume supplies for one Trial, they lose 10 points, but if they don't consume supplies during the next Trial either, they lose 20 more points, and so on. The undead also lose points for each Trial they neglect to consume supplies, but the increment increases every two consecutive Trials, not one.

How does my character find supplies?
If you have spent the required amount of points and your character has a large enough knapsack to contain the quantity bought, they can find the supplies in any way you like. The same goes for any items or followers bought from the Merchant - buffs also function in the same way, except they are acquired.

What happens when my character has no points left?
Nothing; just ensure your character's point bank doesn't drop into the negative. If your character's point bank ever drops below zero after Trial Four has concluded, they will invariably die.

So, I really hope I made this easy to understand for everyone... Please ask me if you are unsure about ANYTHING in this post, for it could mean life or death for your characters...
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:48 pm
SpiritedWolfe says...

@Caesar darn name changes

I'm worried that I may not have time for this, but the idea is beautiful and Wandering, how do you come up with these epics?

Yeah, I'll give a definite yes or no by Thursday, depending on how things go this week, but for now, can I reserve both for Rakados, please? :3 (THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL AND EVIL AND I LOVE THEM.)
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:52 pm
Steggy says...

Hello!

Seems like a lovely idea and I was wondering- which is a complete surprise to me as well- but can I have one Gruul and one for Izzet, please? :D
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

62 Reviews

Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:56 pm
View Likes

@SpiritedWolfe, all is good and well! I shall preliminarily reserve Rakdos for you...

@Stegosaurus, I would've said no, but since you are asked nicely, I will say yes.. Just note that if someone were to come along with a request for both Izzets or Gruuls, then I might ask you to change one of them...
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:58 pm
Steggy says...

ACTUALLY, I could have the Gruuls.. if that is okay >.> for both? Maybe?
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:03 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

One for Dimir (were you really surprised?), pretty please. Character up tonight or tomorrow.
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

62 Reviews

Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:08 pm

@Stegosaurus, gotcha! Both Gruuls reserved...

@QueenofHearts, one Dimir coming right up! (they are also my favorite Guild, but as the Maze I have no favorites...)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

212 Reviews

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:32 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

Would an assassin work for House Dimir?

62 Reviews

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:42 pm

The Guild Leader of House Dimir is the Master assassin, so yes...
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

212 Reviews

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:53 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

How is it that House Dimir has melee attacks as a weakness? Assassins, thieves, and spies need to be able to fight should they get caught. And... assassins. How can an assassin not know how to /fight/?

62 Reviews

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:01 am

Yes, but they aren't very armored, and don't carry big weapons... If a Dimir assassin were cornered by a Boros patrol or Gruul force, no amount of fighting skills would help...

And a good assassin or thief doesn't need to fight... (they are meant to be masters of stealth)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

212 Reviews

Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:44 am
TheCrimsonLady says...

Ah, okay, makes sense.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:47 am
Caesar says...

this is the plot of dragons maze

fugg

can I be jace

darnit wizard I have no time to storybook why now ;_;
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:49 am
Caesar says...

^ legitimately my reactions in that exact order
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck…you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
— Cecil Gershwin Palmer