z

Young Writers Society

PMD: Seventeen Plates DT 3

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:00 pm
Ventomology says...

Ouch, work on Black Friday? That's rough. Good luck out there, Robusto.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:37 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

@Tortwag, you are confused. Allow me to explain why. :P

Everyone thinks differently, to a greater or lesser degree. Yours way of thinking differs greatly from that of most others - us included - which is why you constantly explain. You want us to understand what you mean, and that's great. However, keep in kind that this goes two ways: if your way of thinking differs from ours, then naturally, ours differs from yours.

This means you need to consider how I would approach a matter. I am very analytical and precise, but not the extent that I can't understand what someone meant to say. Unfortunately, you said "Astral played a Charizard Psyche post on me again". Now, I'm a little offended that you think I'm ignorant enough not to notice Char's amusing habit of posting just before you do, but I'll dismiss it as a misunderstanding. You see, "Psyche", in the context of this SB, immediately makes me think of a Psyche Battle, which is irrelevant. Add to that the "again", and you lost me completely. So to summarise, your choice of words is what confused me. ;)

Now, for an entirely different matter. Whatever this "Nen" is, I have no idea. Also take note to how rarely people post links. A link to a video is fine, because videos are entertaining and tracks can be listened to while on other sites. Reading, on the other hand, takes time and effort, and the general public will not want to leave the familiar site to scrutinise an intimidating wall of text. I'll honestly tell you that I took one look at the linked page before closing the tab. Rather give a long explanation in the DT, because then I'll still read it.

So, if you want to have another go at explaining the Nen-style aura, go ahead. In the meantime, I'll refrain from explaining the physics behind energy and how anime and video games in general require a significant degree of willing suspension of disbelief. (If we just take the Pokéverse as an example, I can easily point out a shocking number of reasons why humanity would have gone extinct a very long time ago.) Keep in mind, though, that @Robusto said the rules here are not identical to those of PMD proper, and that @Charizard821 and I have yet to decide on all of aura's properties. Also remember this is not Hunter x Hunter, so the approach to aura is far more realistic.

Oh, and Char, please don't think Tort and I have the final say concerning aura. You and Riley are a lot alike, especially in the sense you both underestimate the weight of your decisions. With respect to Tort, your say outweighs his and equals mine, so if you don't agree with something or want add something, you have every right to do so. (I'd give an analogy using Roman Consuls, but I'll spare you the history lesson. :P )

Tort, I'm typing as I read the posts, so I only just saw your one response. I'm glad we're on the same page, then.

Char, find me some time, and we'll discuss it. PMs would work too, or a WFP.

Back to you, Tort. I see now why poor Char is intimidated - it seems you are most well-known for your references, and that worries some SBers, since many might not get a particular reference. The links don't help much either, as I've said. Although, the most intimidating thing for Char, I assume, is your jargon. Jargon, by definition, is terminology that makes no sense to anyone but those of the concerned field. If I start talking about acciacaturas and dominant sevenths, the only person who might understand me is Buggies, since that's musical jargon. Therefore, use more familiar terms and language, since I can assure you that other members of this SB are just as bewildered as Char.

*looks up at post*

That is scary and probably classifies as ranting/rambling. If you've made it this far, hats off to you.

PS: Robusto, once you've returned from work and submitted the Deoxys post, please send me that list of islands. ^_^
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:29 am
Robusto says...

@AstralHunter: Gah! I forgot the list!
Don't worry, I'll get it to you.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:06 am
StupidSoup says...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

me .3.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:41 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

@AstralHunter Hmm. Could be. Wouldn't be the first time. Enlighten me, then, Astral!

...Wait a sec. That first smiley is totally meant to be reassuring.
...Ooooh boy. I messed up. I messed up real bad, didn't I. I said things the wrong way again, didn't I.

Am I to understand that even here, my way of thought makes me a rogue or oddball to you guys? I'm not trying to be overly dramtic, or attract some sort of pity, I know that there are pros and cons to everything, that it's good to be unique, yadda yadda - I'm asking this out of curiosity. And to get some confirmations. I know I'm weird - I'm just curious to know to what extent.

I... did keep that in mind throughout this whole thing. I've been used to get into discussions in which my opinion's the "weird one". But the fact that you're telling me this leads me to believe that my words weren't going along with my mind.
Again.
...Was I harsh? Could you please put - in a spoiler, so that I may locate everything - every sentence I've uttered that was off in any way please? I'm getting sick of upsetting people just by talking - when I don't want to, that is.

Not... Gosh. Not what I meant. I said that you could've forgotten that, which was fine. That's another thing I'm used to, so I usually assume my timing's wrong somewhere - and apparently, it was.
Hrrm. Well, wrong choice of words. I have to apologize for that.

I know I know, which is why I rarely post links as well - as I've mentioned, I've made this exception because I felt that it was important to the matter we were chatting about.
So... you'd rather like me to post a long explanation here than link you to something that's already made for you to understand a given subject? But... people tell me I should always shorten my explanations... NOW I'm confused. But um... Okay I guess. I don't mind! I'll just copy/paste a few things and summarize the rest. If it helps you guys, I can do it.

Well yeah. That's actually something that's been adressed many times - take a bunch of Alakazams together and they could pretty much wipeout humanity just by pointing their Psychic spoons at them. Couldn't agree more there.
Yes, which is why I mentioned that HxH was only an example I was giving, and that BY NO MEANS I expected anyone here to follow its pattern.
As I said to Char, it's WAY too codified to use here. That much, I understand (it's also why I constantly give Twinkiel as example to show that I don't. Always. Go. By. Rules. It's fun to bend them!)
Uh, I ALSO gave HxH as an example because it's actually one of the most "realistic" - so to speak - approach on Aura ever made in an anime. Obviously, it gets more magic-related with some abilities, you can develop, but I assure you, it's more realistic than you think. Especially when compared to DBZ or Naruto.

Again: that much I understand. And that's why I don't mind discussions such as these - we all have a word to say about something, right? That avoids the confusion I seem to have thrown myself into.
And... Out of curiosity, why would anyone in this SB assume that I - or Astral, since apparently we're both concerned here - would have the final word for anything? Is it because we're taking the subject seriously? @Robusto's always supposed to have the final word on everything, as far as I'm concerned.

OH! Oh I'm glad you are. But I still messed up, so, yeah, sorry.

Ah. Well there' a clue leading into where I messed up. Neat.
I, uh... I don't think I can do that though. As in, I'll have to be careful to um... "speak normally," more often, I understand that (and I also tend to assume that because I'm on YWS people will automatically undertand me better than in any other place, which is stupid) but my English comes from Cartoons and Video Games for the most part.
In other words I'm a mixture of various jargons, terms, expressions and contexts I've picked up from random spots. The first few English words I've learned where Entertaiment, However, Thunder Blade, Pancake, Grave, Stalagmite, Beast, Sword Rain, and... Assassin.
Might be forgetting a few - like Target and Race ← As in, with cars - but you get the idea.
I'll always end up saying something akward that will throw someone off.
And speaking of that, um... Whenever I say something weird. Or, that people don't understand. Please. Act like Char and Astral. Just... just tell me. I'm not going to get upset, I'm Twinkiel, I don't get upset for that. If I'm using a reference you don't get, if I'm using a word in a context you don't get, just tell me, I'm either going to explain it to you or switch to something you can actually get. You don't have to tell me like all the time, just... y'know, once in a while. To make sure I don't confuse you more than I make sense. Walking ball of awkwardness, remember?

@AstralHunter "it seems you are most well-known for your references, and that worries some SBers," ← ...This worries me. This worries me a lot. What do you mean by "some SBers"? Did I weird out people other than in this SB? In the Academy? Somewhere else? In my own Wall? In LMS?
*sigh* I need a new social interaction Scheme. ASAP.

Anyway, messed up again. Yay. I'll turn off for a few hours now. If someone's looking for me, I'll be dreaming of butterflies slashed by scythe-wielding centaurs.
Don't try to understand that, I just have to be random sometimes. Oddly relaxing.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:01 am
TheSilverFox says...

Tortwag wrote:If someone's looking for me, I'll be dreaming of butterflies slashed by scythe-wielding centaurs.

^ Why does that immediately remind me of the game Bayonetta? <.<

Oh wait, the game involves scythe-wielding centaurs being slashed by butterflies (which would make a lot more sense if I explained that; however, at the present moment, I don't feel like explaining. :P). That would make sense. XD

...Yes, this is my only contribution to the conversation at the present time.

...Actually, the above statement is incorrect; I do have more to say, and I have time to say it.

To specify, no, @Tortwag, I have never found you in any way an oddball or otherwise strange. I've always found you fascinating, and the same can be said for your references. While I may not always understand the references, I get the gist of the point you're trying to make, and the manner in which you communicate it has rarely, if ever, offended, angered, or in any way discomfited me. On the other hand, I've built a reputation of being friendly and understanding and, on the contrary, confusing, mischievous, eccentric, or otherwise absolutely mysterious. Or mentally conflicted (and sometimes unstable) or easily tempered. That too. *shrugs*

Furthermore, strangely enough, despite living in a place and in such a manner that I am quite usually naive when it comes to several significant aspects of the world around me - in particular, social and political aspects - I seem to be quite capable of understanding jargon, and, if not, learning it rather quickly. That has always been one of my most interesting traits, it seems, to be able to understand and comprehend something rapidly (and my memory is also, while not perhaps perfect, decent). And this is from the 14-year-old kid who lives in the middle of America stuck in an almost entirely white community with little experience of the world beyond his home. Though I digress. I like to educate myself on most matters or concepts that I am presented, and thus, in spite of a lack of experience, I do understand a lot of jargon (and, as I have explained further, can learn about it quickly if I don't.)

Beyond that, though, I've been mostly keeping away from the aura conversation. Whenever I'm faced with a long DT post, my brain has the habit of activating that procrastination side or simply refuses to read it all. Thus, I haven't exactly been keeping up with the conversation, and have only been absorbing bits and pieces here and there. Thus, I've mostly been keeping my mouth shut, particularly as that conversation has almost nothing to do with me in the first place, and, though this actually not usually normal (I can be a little nosy, as my family will attest), I've been keeping quiet and not getting involved in the debates.

So there. I just started talking, and then I just couldn't shut up. Yep, this is what happens when I start rambling. I suppose I should just end the conversation here, having nothing more to discuss. Yes, that's probably what I should do. <.<
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:56 am
Charizard821 says...

Ohhhhh jeez. What happened while I was gone? Phew, this'll be a doozy. I have a few responses for you guys, @Tortwag and @AstralHunter. And maybe @Everyoneelse as an interesting side note. But I'm already up later than I should be, so expect my comments in the morning. Goodnight everyone.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:01 pm
BrumalHunter says...

@Tortwag, never think of yourself as an oddball. When I said your way of thinking differs from ours, I didn't mean to imply you were the odd one out. My way of thinking differs from Buggie's, Robusto's, 15253's, Verser's, Silver's, and even Char's. If you were (and this term is just an example) a "social outcast", then so too should be the twins because of their unique chatspeak, Buggie because of her humour, Robusto because of his mysterious schemes, Silver because of his very long descriptions, Char because of his periodic disappearances, and especially myself because of my tendency to miss deadlines and write extremely long DT posts.

We aren't because there is nothing wrong with any of the things I just listed (save for my tendency to miss deadlines - I'll have to work on that).

Tort, we are a digital family on here, so we all accept each other for who we are. The matters I listed will annoy others, but that's because there will always be someone who doesn't like the things you do - even if one of those things is stopping to smell the flowers.

So don't worry about your references too much. If you could use other writing devices as well, that would be awesome, since diversity is an asset to everyone, but don't think you should suddenly find an entirely new writing style. The part about your references "that worries some SBers" concerns a moment in the past when I wanted to help recruit participants for an undisclosed SB. A particular member simply mentioned that not everyone likes references humour, and that's true. Nobody has ever said anything negative about your writing to me, I assure you.

You weren't harsh at all, I was simply giving advice. I am ALWAYS worried about how people will perceive what I say and write, but by trying to explain thoroughly, I might just cause the very same unfortunate implications I had tried to prevent. Therefore, if you - or anyone else, for that matter - ever see me say something like "no offense", "with respect to" or the like, please don't think I'm implying you will take offense. In cases like those, it's me being paranoid, not an implication.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

54 Reviews

Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:22 pm
StupidSoup says...

@AstralHunter did...did you just call us the twins XD

See the problem with that is that only people above the age of thirty call me that X3 (no offense)

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:26 pm
Poopsie says...

hah unique chatspeak.

you make a me laugh astry o/
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:49 pm
TheSilverFox says...

Hmmm...for whatever reason, both of the last two poems that I've posted in the YWS have reached the Literary Spotlight in a short amount of time. Odd (not humble-bragging or anything, nooooo. :P). <.<

Oh, yes, and @Buggiedude2340, I'm incorrect: the poem of mine that the "what you should review" thing keeps recommending to you only has one review, not two. You can feel free to review it if you want, though I honestly don't mind either way; you can do it if you feel like you have the time or you want to review it, and not if that's not the case. I, in no way, want to make you feel obligated to do it, and I certainly don't want to inconvenience you if you're busy or have better things to do. Thus, feel free to review if you want, but you certainly don't have to, and I don't mind it if you don't.

...Whoops. I was intending for this to be much shorter. <.<
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:25 pm
View Likes
Ventomology says...

@TheSilverFox: I asked because I figured if no one else was willing to take the plunge, I could at least tell you what you did well. I'm not exactly a poetry aficionado, but I do have armloads of free time for reviewing this weekend. Besides, this is what friends are for!
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

40 Reviews

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:52 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@AstralHunter "never think of yourself as an oddball." Not to be cynical, but um, too late for that. By a good, long, decade.
Though nowadays I like to think that I'm eccentric more than anything else - which 1: is kinda true; and 2: is not really a self-loathing word.
Or at least not to me, so I'll be fine.
But your respect for other people's way of thoughts is acknowledged once more!

(Yes, I feel you there. I'm a slowpoke. I miss deadlines too. *Slow high-fives*)

...*sigh* digital family, huh... That's a concept I need to keep in mind. I'm mostly a lone wanderer when it comes to hang out in communities. PMD's a special case I guess, though - all thanks to @Robusto.

Oh. Ok. That's good to know.
Well I'm usually in for all types of humour, so I guess I'm fine there.

Ooooookay. That's another relief. Thanks for the advice. Really, thanks.
And I'll have to keep that no offense bit in mind, because that's the opposite way of how I usually see the expression being used. Hmm.

@TheSilverFox Huh. Another good thing to know. Thanks!
Easily tempered huh? Can relate to that too. Would that be because you're affected by a nervous temper as well? Or your case is different?

Eh, America plus + mostly white community doesn't mean a thing nowadays - you ahve Internet to get the diversity you need, so I'm not really surprised there.

Yes, you've been totally out of the Aura conversation, I noticed. Not that I mind.

"my brain has the habit of activating that procrastination side or simply refuses to read it all."
...Ah. Well that explains a lot. But wait a sec, that means re-reading some of your own posts - as many of them are quite detailed/have lots of stuff goin' on in them, not that it's necessarily bad or anything - must be a freakin' pain sometimes. Guess the result matters more, but still.

Bah, it's fine. Rambling happens. Look at me and Astral for good examples XD

@Charizard821 Discussion deviated - that's what happened. Nighty night, Char! Though I guess it may be morning by now...

@15253 Wait, seriously? But... I know you're talking to Astral, but I called you and Verser twins several times in the DT, and... you never mentioned that before. So younger people just call you siblings?
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

54 Reviews

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:29 pm
StupidSoup says...

no they call us by our nicknames ;)

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

40 Reviews

Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:20 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

Ah. Yeah. That works.
*is thrown off by undefeatable youngster logic*

It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind