z

Young Writers Society

The Queen is Dead, Long Live the Queen DT

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:07 pm
StellaThomas says...

Propose characters and plot plot right here!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:41 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

I kind of want a noble lady courting/betrothed? to Henry except she's really an assassin hired by some other noble to kill him and anyone else standing in the way of said noble's preferred heir.

Vague ideas are vague.
Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:04 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I am 100% on board with this!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:22 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

So I'll be Lavinia. Will try to touch base with you soon in regards to my profile

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:20 pm
View Likes
AWritingAffliction says...

I'd like to write for a princess from a neighboring country who has come to Lavinia to not only witness the political circus but also to seek a husband. She may also befriend Lavinia and will definitely cause some drama as she holds no religious preference and prefers not to acknowledge the power of any god or goddess.

What do you think?
Hi I'm Flick

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:31 pm
StellaThomas says...

@AWritingAffliction - I am so up for that! I was actually hoping for an atheist wildcard character but didn't want to push the idea as I didn't want EVERYONE to make one. But I am really on board with that idea, yes! I assume she won't be a crown princess? And is she husband hunting for her own purposes or have her parents sent her?

I also feel like Verity will take a dislike to her, believing that she's trying to use Lavinia. NB- if no one else claims her I am so going to play Verity myself as I think she'd be loads of fun.

@Elinor%20Brynn - I know you'll be fantastic with her! What have you got in mind? I can't decide if she'd be more fun being totally naive and trusting or being really strong minded. Or some of each.

I also think Henry had massive affection for Lavinia and personally doesn't want anything to befall her. But that doesn't mean she feels the same way about him. Or that his supporters don't think otherwise.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:19 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

I've got a Ranger-Prince character that wants to woo Lavinia to raise his country's prospects.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:31 pm
View Likes
AWritingAffliction says...

@StellaThomas , you are correct, I was thinking she may be in a position similar to Henry's in that she would likely be next in line after an older cousin. Also, she has most definitely been sent by her parents who hope to advance her standings.
Hi I'm Flick

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:41 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

why not, I'll take Bernard. He even comes with a theme song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyhO2LD3T40
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:27 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

I'd like to know more about how things are set in the country.. Like what's education like, would they have schools or private tutors, would men and women be learning the same stuff or not, are they (more or less) equal or not? Also, are there places for religious services (if those exist?), would there be priests, is the ruler somehow subjected to them (think Pope crowning the King, is it more or less a thing or not?). Also, could've the previous rulers been bad enough to make some citizens rebellious, or is that not an option?
Oh yeah, last thing, is there a thing like the Inquisition and are the people of other faith(s) considered heretics and actively persecuted/tortured/killed/etc?

Other than that, yes please. Court intrigue nom nom nom.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

289 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:31 pm
Caesar says...

hehe we haven't storybooked together in a while, Sis

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:25 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@Holofernes - mwahahaha, just as I made Lavinia with Ellie in mind, I made Bernard with you in mind. My evil plans have all worked! Hurrah! I bet this cast is going to turn out stupendously.

@AriaAdams - I don't know! What do you think? My only stipulation would be yay gender equality. Because fantasy settings where women still have agency are sort of my jam. And men and women have equal opportunities for inheritance etc.

As far as education.. Tutors, I guess? For the rich ones? I don't know, why? Did you have an idea pertaining to this?

And regarding the religions - I guess there will be temples and things, but I kind of think that at this point in Fovria if you worship Hata you do so in secret. Or at least relative secrecy - for nobles it's probably not as secretive because of course the future Queen does so! So it's kind of an uncertain time right now for that bunch. There's not an Inquisition type arrangement YET. But there very well could be in the future - and it probably exists in other countries - food for thought for foreign dignitaries?

Rebellions are possible but I don't know what part they'll play in this SB. I just think a peasant rebellion storyline mightn't exactly fit in with our usurpers! But maybe someone is taking the side of peasants? Who knows?

And obviously religion plays a part in the coronation as the monarch has been chosen by God - but it just depends which God ;) I hadn't considered a pope-like overarching figure, that might be an interesting thought too!!!

Thanks for all the thinks.

I also think Hata has a lot of fire/flame symbolism. But I would love input into the religions from you guys!

@Griffinkeeper - Absolutely! We'll keep Cecil as his competitor though ;)

Thank you so much for your interest everybody! Feel free to brainstorm here - and I'll probably also make a WF pad with some plot structure or something for everybody to destroy.

I'm going to work on my profiles (I'm taking Verity too for now) tonight - hopefully once I've done that and people have an idea of Henry it might spark some good story ideas - and I look forward to seeing what you all do with your characters.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:32 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

you cunning person you

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:58 pm
Auxiira says...

To add to Aria's questioning:

-what are the main ideologies of both religions? do they have different hierarchical structures within the temple orderlies? Are they matriarchal, patriarchal, equal? Where do the main conflicts lie between the two religions?

(I don't know if I'm joining or not, but if I do, I have an idea for a kinda spy/assassin-y type character who works for either Lavinia, because they belong to the royal family, or Bernard because they were hired. Kinda an intermittent character that needs minimal commitment. But idk.)

(I would like to thank autocorrect for helping this post make sense >.< )
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:16 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@AWritingAffliction - looks good, you submitted twice so I just delete the duplicate :)

@Auxiira - haha did I convince you? I don't know I don't know - BUT I think it'd be cool if Hata's faith was matriarchal? And then Paulus' was equal? So it instantly is more progressive/open. As to the difference in ideology - well they worship totally different gods for a start! Maybe differences about the afterlife? Maybe those who believe in Hata believe that bad people get tortured and the good just get to sleep, whereas Paulans believe everybody goes to a type of heaven? Again, TOTALLY UP FOR BRAINSTORMING I'm just making this all up.

If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France