z

Young Writers Society

The Queen is Dead, Long Live the Queen DT

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:31 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

What if Usher's character and Aaron's are connected? Maybe Aaron's family were royalty, before they were deposed by the other prince's family, forcing them into exile.

Keep in mind that royal princes might not blend in that well, nor can they afford to get their hands dirty.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:24 pm
Auxiira says...

A question for Stellen: what are both religion's views on the genderqueer?
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:46 pm
StellaThomas says...

Sounds good, fire away! :)

I am making the first post now!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:26 am
UshertheThird says...

@Griffinkeeper That sounds good. Depending on when Aaron was banished, one of them could recognize the other. I assume they would immediately dislike each other.

I was actually intending for my character to eventually be discovered by someone in the castle. But he's not really concerned about being found out, or about doing anything illegal, since he underestimates the Fovrians, and his father is a powerful king who is willing to go to war.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:16 am
Caesar says...

you must excuse me for bringing all your characters together in one place. I am sure you must hate the possibilities of interaction that have just opened.

;D
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:49 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Aaron came into the Gryphon's care fairly early on. He might not even be aware he has a royal heritage in the first place. The Matron probably would know; but even if she did, she didn't treat him as a Prince; which is good because his character is one that is better than if he had been waited on his entire life.

If you want to make Daniel an assassin, then you run the risk of him being killed. Prince or not, he'll be killed if he's caught trying to kill a royal. And that would be a real waste of a character.

What if, instead of being the dark assassin prince, he was actually a likable one? I think it would be more interesting if Aaron and Daniel actually got along. It would bust the rival Prince cliche right open and would lead to an interesting ticking time bomb.

What if Aaron's parents weren't nice rulers, but brutal and vicious? What if Daniel's folks are the good guys here? What if Daniel, in talking to Aaron, were to recognize Aaron as being the old King's son, but only after becoming firm friends with him? Then Daniel would have conflict; he'll have torn loyalties between his friends and to his family. Maybe he doesn't care for the grudges of his parents? Maybe he's afraid that Aaron will have grudges of his own?

What if Daniel is the dutiful son who, not unlike Aaron, is there to marry and perhaps get a Kingdom of his own, without having to assassinate the parents he loves, wait for them to die, or endure the hardships of war? What if this trip here was the first time he had ever been outside of his parents direct supervision? What if his skills of stealth aren't being used to sneak around, but to sneak away from those that have been sent to babysit him (aka protect him from assassination.)

And if you're sure you want to write for a bad guy, then it would be far more interesting for the reader to watch a good guy turn bad. You can have your character reach a crossroad where he can do what is right or what is best for him; and shock all the people that like your character by having him do the selfish thing; and then have him rationalize it. Something like "I had to turn on Aaron, before he had an opportunity to turn on me." Then, to the horror of everyone, and potentially your own character, he might spiral down the slippery slope until he becomes that villain.

What do you think, is that a better plot line?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:52 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Holofernes wrote:you must excuse me for bringing all your characters together in one place. I am sure you must hate the possibilities of interaction that have just opened.

;D

Actually, I really do mind. I had a decent idea for introducing Aaron; and I'm sure other people were looking forward to introducing their own characters as well. For one, I wanted him to be late and arrive in a spectacular fashion.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:57 am
Caesar says...

the thought had occurred to me. If nobody can work with what they're given, I'll delete it and no harm done.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:04 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Maybe we can have our characters appear, greet Lavinia and then get shown to their quarters?

289 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:06 am
Caesar says...

why not, it's up to whoever post next. It's not like I've forced everyone down a specific course of action.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:02 am
UshertheThird says...

@Griffinkeeper, Thanks for all the ideas!

Are you suggesting that Daniel presents himself as a prince, rather than as a commoner? That would make it easier for him to interact with the other characters. My initial idea was that he disguises himself and works as a servant who cleans the castle or prepares food. His goal in being there is mostly to get information for his father, who is interested in making a claim in Fovria. So I guess it makes more sense for him to go as royalty, since then he has access to more important people.

I was thinking that he would be open to working as a spy, or possibly even secretly poisoning someone’s drink. But I agree, it would be a poor idea for him to do something that could get him killed, so I’ll stay away from assassination.

I do think Daniel could be a likable character who’s just following his father’s directions. I like the idea of Daniel befriending Aaron and realizing how their paths are linked. Having to choose between loyalty to his parents and his friends in Fovria would fit with my plan for his ideas of cultural superiority to wear off, as he realizes Fovria is as good a country as his own.

I think Daniel was sent to Fovria to get information and power for his father, but he also has motivations of his own. He is tired of following his parents’ orders, and although he’s not interested in power, he wants a life of his own. So he starts out with no loyalties and little interest in the court, but he grows more attached to Fovria and less blindly loyal to his parents and his country.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:46 am
crossroads says...

Ehh Rile wouldn't really be on that kind of meeting, Bro. She's not coming announced, and she'd be spending some time wandering around and exploring, most likely distracted by other things, before either running into some court-related character or realizing she needs to actually schedule her meeting with the queen, or until she's approached by Bernard or Verity or whoever else even knows enough about her homeland or religion or had followed her since. She'd pretty much just be coming with her little crew and then leave them on the ship and go on.

Still, all that in your post can work if all this ^ happened before and then she was called to the court/came herself (perhaps after Bernard or whoever came to check out the strange new ship or something, and then enlightened her of how a normal visitor would go about seeing the queen?). It's not exactly ideal, but it works for me.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:46 am
StellaThomas says...

@Auxiira - sorry I missed that post! I figure Hatans are a lot less tolerant than Paulans.

@Holofernes - I really like the post as it shows what Bernard is like. If people don't want their characters there, then fine - your characters weren't there. But if Aria can't deal with Rile being there by name then maybe that has to be changed slightly.

@UshertheThird - what you do with your character is entirely up to you :) I think it'd be easier though if you introduced him as a minor noble who is allowed in court but nobody suspects? Still in disguise? Whatever it's just an idea! Also I think Henry might take a shine to Daniel. He needs some bros.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

289 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:39 pm
Caesar says...

oh frick I thought I had put that in. I must have forgotten along the way??

In my head, nobody was announced, Bernard had sent people out for them and brought them. The Princes have no idea. On that note, every foreigner was, in my mind, there.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:47 pm
Elinor says...

Alright, the first couple of posts look good. I'll wait until a few more have posted before I do so I can have more to react to. So excited for this!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Life's short; smile while you still have teeth.
— Tuesday