z

Young Writers Society

The Queen is Dead, Long Live the Queen DT

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:05 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Working up my profile right now, will be posted soon!

EDIT

@StellaThomas are you at all interested in my character (Jacqueline) having some sort of arranged betrothal with Henry? They don't have to like each other, and it can fall apart as easily as you like considering Jacqueline is really there to assassinate everyone anyways~

(will probably write it into my profile if I don't hear back before it's done, but I can edit it out pretty simply)
Got YWS?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:17 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

I was thinking that Cecil and Aaron should be made to complete tasks (think labors of Hercules)

This would help the kingdom and give Lavinia more time to consolidate her power. It also gives Aaron and Verity an opportunity to see and impress one another.

I don't see Aaron and Verity planning an assassination. They're more likely to runaway from her than kill her. However, it would be interesting if someone else set up a plot and made either or both of them appear responsible.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:19 pm
Lauren2010 says...

My plan for Jacqueline is to have her issued in by someone totally unrelated to other characters in the storybook, but with orders to frame as many people she deems appropriate. Which is everyone. Jacqueline lives for destruction.
Got YWS?

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:28 pm
Auxiira says...

Seems like a person Alyx would like
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:40 pm
crossroads says...

...on a random note, do we need more non-female characters? 'cause Ammarilae can totally be switched into a half brother if we do xD

Oh also, Jacqueline and Ammarilae have somewhat similar pasts, Rile would be quite intrigued by that if she ever found out. And even if not, they should meet. :3

And also, I'm curious to know how the Fovrian royals will react to Rile showing up.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:13 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Yeah we're gender imbalanced but I'm not seeing that as an issue YET. If you feel the need to change her go ahead!

Also Lauren. Gurl. Princess nun assassin. You give me reason to live.

Lou - take your time, we will Be Prepared for Bernard's entrance.

(Get it? Scar? Claudius? ... Right?)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:41 pm
Caesar says...

if I tarry I will make it grand enough to make up for it
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

863 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:14 am
Griffinkeeper says...

How about a quick writing activity while we're waiting to start?

Prompt: Your character is showing up to the Pre-writing party to mingle with the media. Think pre-game interview; or red carpet gala.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:43 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Earlier today, Storybook HQ got an inside look at the new storybook: The Queen is Dead, Long Live the Queen

First up was our interview with Griffinkeeper and his character, Aaron Northpeak

SHQ: Thank you for taking time to speak with us today.

Griffinkeeper: Not at all. We're just waiting to start the storybook.

SHQ: If you don't mind, we'll start with you Griffinkeeper and then move on to Aaron.

Griffinkeeper: Call me Grif.

SHQ: So, Grif, you've gained a reputation for being a storybook pioneer, how long have you been writing storybooks?

Griffinkeeper: I've been writing them off and on for about twelve years.

SHQ: That's a long time.

Griffinkeeper: Even after twelve years I'm still discovering new things about writing from storybooks.

SHQ: What keeps you interested?

Griffinkeeper: Honestly, it's the opportunity to work with my fellow authors. I may have been writing storybooks the longest; but the writers here are quite sharp. I'm especially glad to be working with StellaThomas. Some storybookers can become very inflexible with plots; but she is one of the good ones in that she is always open to new ideas and encourages her associates to be creative.

SHQ: What drew you to The Queen is Dead, Long Live the Queen

Griffinkeeper: Two words: court intrigue. Growing up I enjoyed reading stories with political intrigue, such as Frank Herbert's Dune books, Asimov's Foundation series, and much later some Thucydides. A lot of storybooks focus on fighting and action; which is fun until it becomes boring. Adding politics to a storybook gives it more depth than it might otherwise have.

SHQ: We heard that you like re-using characters. Is Aaron an old favorite?

Griffinkeeper: Aaron is brand new, but he is traveling very familiar ground. In my own personal lore, there are these humans that gryphons consider to be their equals that they trust implicitly. They're known as Trustants, and Aaron is one of these Trustants.

SHQ: What are your impressions of Aaron?

Griffinkeeper: Aaron is an interesting character; because he has so many choices he can make. His story is all about finding the right woman; and that isn't so easy in a setting where lying is the rule.

SHQ: We understand that his love interest will be Lady Verity Adelward. What can you tell us about their relationship?

Griffinkeeper: Their relationship is balanced on the knife's edge; but what makes them work is their ability to maintain their composure under pressure. Both characters come alive when they're on the edge of the known, it's why they both enjoy learning. But it's not the love story you see coming.

SHQ: Thank you once again.

Griffinkeeper: My pleasure.

SHQ Stay tuned for Part II of my interview, which will be with Aaron Northpeak.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:20 pm
Caesar says...

character submitted.

Lauren, we should work something out between Bernard and Jacqueline. I can see them hitting it off.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:53 pm
StellaThomas says...

Guys I think I'm going to set the ball rolling tonight so if you want to make your introductory posts - I know this is a busy time of year for a lot of people so don't freak if you don't have time, and even if you do, don't worry, I'm not expecting epic novels!

Just one thing. Try to keep things in chronological order, try not to jump back and forwards between other people's posts. If you need to flashback, then flashback! Just use your writerly skills. I know you've got it in you.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:23 pm
Elinor says...

Around when are we beginning this storybook? I'll write my first post soon, but I'd like to have an idea of what else is going on/what the other characters are up to :)

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:38 am
UshertheThird says...

Am I able to join? I have an idea for a character, if you're still accepting.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:50 pm
StellaThomas says...

Sorry Boy was at mine and never got to writing first post! Hopefully tonight :)

Sure @UshertheThird , what was your idea?

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 pm
UshertheThird says...

Thanks!
My idea is to have a character who is a prince in a far-off nation that has no previous contact with Fovria. His father sends him to Fovria in an attempt to take advantage of the political instability. His ultimate goal is to somehow usurp the throne or wage war to expand his empire. The prince goes to the castle disguised as a commoner, and he takes various jobs, mostly as a servant, so that he can learn about the situation in the castle. He is a competent swordsman, and initially he is willing to be hired to assassinate anyone, as Fovrian lives are less valuable to him, and his only goal is to benefit his kingdom.

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal