Young Writers Society

the Marked DT

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:19 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

character cheat sheet compiled by the wonderful Lumi. Give him your love.

What's going on

Humanity lives on the constant brink of extinction. It's not strong enough to compete with the ogres, not fast enough to escape from the elves, not savage enough to slay aberrations, nor does it have magic, like the dragons. They've relied on technological superiority, iron and siege equipment, to defend their cities, built in cliff faces or safely underground. Venturing outside is a swift way to die.

You, however, are different. You've always displayed something above everyone else, be it strength, cunning, wit, drive. You're not just different inwardly, but there is something outward, as well: a brand, geometrical and apparently burned into your flesh. You do not know why this is so, but it has been so. Recently, growing up in Saxa Celate, you've been dissatisfied with the way things are.

You've asked yourself why humanity has to live in this way. Unlike the countless others that asked the very same question, however, you believe you can do something about it. You believe you've only just scratched the surface of your power, and that you could accomplish anything with it.

And then, you wound up in prison, for one reason or another. Nothing necessarily serious, but in prison you were tossed nonetheless. Perhaps fortunately, though, turns out you weren't the only one. Other individuals, also with the same mark as you, also imprisoned. Such an opportunity, you think, is only given by fate when something meaningful must happen.

Places been to, races encountered

Saxa Celate

Saxa Celate is a city of some five or six thousand inhabitants, deep underground. It is rich in precious ores and minerals, but they amount to no value considering it is impossible to trade, there being no nearby settlements. Therefore, it's not uncommon to see diamond hinges or gold inlay on your random table. It does have, however, a proud tradition of weaponsmiths. Celate steel is acknowledged as the best steel (by whom we're not quite sure). The lack of wood means homes and buildings are hewn out of the stone itself. It develops haphazardly, levels connected via stairways. Another important feature are the waterways. Fresh water runs in abundance just by the city. It's used for public baths, complex and large machinery, and other cool things. The city has managed to create an agriculture -- water is redirected, creating an irrigation system, and raiding parties are occasionally sent to the surface to hunt for plants. Further, they've managed to grow the natural underground vegetation, some edible. They also have pit-like traps set up above them. Occasionally, food falls down them.

Character creation

You'll notice I've spoken about brands and powers, but haven't supplied any information on them. This is deliberate. It does not mean you're free to make up what you want. Leave the 'Mark' section empty until further notice. Before the storybook starts, I'll supply you with your mark and ability, tailored to your character. Therefore, I encourage you all to be diverse in character creation. Profiles below.

Code: Select all

[b]Name (look at Latin names for inspiration, if it's different be sure to specify why below):[/b]
[b]Age (preferably not too young or old, there's going to be a lot of strenuous activity):[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Appearance (written description, picture if you'd like):[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]History (only anything relevant/that could impact your character in the future):[/b]

[b]Mark (leave this blank):[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]

~

Post here for any questions and other stuff. This post will be periodically updated as the party uncovers information and places.
Last edited by Caesar on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:30 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

oh info in the DT.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:55 pm
View Likes
Sassafras says...

I'm excited.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

Abdiesus' mark is the Mark of Fear. Whenever he feels his life is threatened, he is able to take split-second decisions more easily. In situations of extreme distress, in his eyes it is like time itself slows down. It is located on his left bicep.
Attachments
MarkofFear.png

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:18 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Right in the middle looks like the mark of nuclear power. He can blow up himself and the surroundings in a 4 mile radius and cause severe radioactive poisoning.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

289 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:20 pm
Caesar says...

haha, shall I consider that as your interest being manifested?

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:22 pm
View Likes
AfterTheStorm says...

Holy crudsicles, this is cool.
"And after the storm..." ~Mumford and Sons

You can't have a rainbow without a little rain.

Got Squills?
Proverbs 31:25

Spoiler! :
Made you look.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 pm
Sassafras says...

But if he blows up he'll die...

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:34 pm
AfterTheStorm says...

Unless he could regen. xD
"And after the storm..." ~Mumford and Sons

You can't have a rainbow without a little rain.

Got Squills?
Proverbs 31:25

Spoiler! :
Made you look.

433 Reviews

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:16 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

The fiend has interest... although I'd prefer not to blow up...
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

289 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:45 am
Caesar says...

I can't say for sure exploding isn't a possible way to die, but I guarantee it won't be nuclear.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:00 am
Caesar says...

Also, beautiful profiles guys, but damn, we need someone who isn't silent and brooding, or interaction is going to be difficult xD

Omnibus, sweet profile but maybe a bit more personality yeah? At the moment I don't have much to ride on. Fiend, maybe you too, other than 'crazy and sadistic' -- we have those aplenty.

I'll get to your marks asap.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:07 am
Sassafras says...

Diesus isn't silent or brooding! The exact opposite actually! ^^ Easy to talk to if you can keep up ;)

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:59 am
crossroads says...

Ary will be seeing the others as "not boring", so she'll talk.. Besides, she talks to her "ghosts" all the time anyway xD

Oh yeah by the way, I'm here. Hi.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

433 Reviews

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:20 am
TakeThatYouFiend says...

I'm not planning on staying in the corner or anything, character interactiom will be most... amusing...

"The adventures I enjoy are usually of a literary nature."
— Henry Winchester