Young Writers Society

In The Wake of A Calamity [OOC]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:30 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Just popping in to check! Has everyone has a chance to look at the wfp a bit and skim a little?

I want to know if any of you have more ideas for character interactions that you want to happen and plan in! Let me know!
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:55 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Your post looks great, @AvantCoffee! I already gushed about it over in the Discord, but I really love how you wrote Runi. It felt like something I could have written about her.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:11 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@AvantCoffee THAT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!! I felt like i was reading a published novel but somehow set in my world and I’m just amazed at how much life you gave to these characters already! I love it! Your descriptions were so vivid and I could just,, see i all in my brain :,)

Literally the ONLY little thing I couldn’t imagine Jay saying was the word “Nah” - but everything else? Absolutely spot on. Especially his exchange with Vela and how unfazed he was by Thea’s stare. I LOVE IT

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:20 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

@AvantCoffee I have no complaints, the post was good.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

I'M HAPPY YOU THREE LIKED IT <3 <3

I'll make that change, sound! Also, I don't think I ever snuck in a comment for your INCREDIBLE first post!!! <3 I can't stress enough how gripping your setting descriptions were and how absorbed I was reading it!!

Also @Jaybird I'm glad I did Runi justice !! <3 She's so much fun to write haha

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:38 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

⭑ ANNOUNCEMENT ⭑
Calling all ITWOAC crew!

Okay guys! So I finally finished the outline for this chapter and here's what it looks like! If you have any questions or ideas you'd like to add, PLEASE let me know.

And also remember: you can totally add other things not included in each your assigned post if you have ideas or things you want to do, as long as it's not like, drastically plot altering. If it is, run it by me first! But also, if you feel like it'd be too much to fit in one post and/or you have bigger ideas for things you want to do down the line, let me know and we will figure out a place to fit it in!

Spoiler! :
Chapter 1 - The Rumored Army

Notes for the group: Thea has her glider strapped over her back, but is not using it for the nighttime trek. Ani has her pet weasel Meanie-Mo and he might pop out now and then (if your character would make note of it).

5. When Runi slinks forward, a loose rock gets dislodged and makes noticeable noise. Everyone crouches down to hide. There's no visible reaction from those in the encampment and it doesn't seem like their presence was noticed yet. They sigh in relief and Runi keeps going but doesn't make it very far.

From above, a group of people dressed in black (blending in w/the dark night) descend from the cliffside on ropes while a net descends on Vel and Han, who's closest to her. Ani is the only one who manages to get out of the way and earth-magic a shield in time. Meanwhile, Thea's knocked off her feet and tackled to the ground, Runi's held at sword-point, and Jay is seemingly untouched until one of the attackers roughly grabs him by his shirt.

Everyone observes the brief "We never told you to bring them here," kind of deal and exchange, and it dawns on them that Jay was working w/them the whole time (at least, to some degree). The air is very tense as Jay and the attacker make eye contact, and then Jay flashes a look to Ani, and kicks the guy in the sensitive region, starting a fight (you don't have to write much of it, that'll be the next post!). Whether or not Ani understands what the look means is up to you lol. @Featherstone (Ani's POV)

6. Well, this isn't going as planned. Han's caught in a net w/a harpy, Jay's going wild and drawing a ton of attention to himself, Ani's helping fight, Thea and Runi are dodging blows and holding their own.

Han helps cut him and Vel out of the tangled net and tries his best to be careful with her injured wing. Most of the chaos of the fight isn't centered on them until they crawl from the net, and at that point, most of the attackers are down (at least temporarily) or distracted by Jay. Thea shouts for all of them to make a run for it because they all know if they get caught, they can't fight a whole army. As they scramble away, Jay's the last to follow - limping, and clearly hurt, but pushing everyone ahead of him to go, go, go! @Lael (Han's POV)

7. They've blown whatever cover they had and possibly whatever chance they had at surprising the army that they now know is very, very real. As they rush back through the mountains, hurried and hushed conversation takes place. They're going to have to decide what to do now, and they don't have time to consider all of their options. Eventually, they decide to take a longer (and fortunately, easier, but slower) way back to the guild. Mostly because the attackers are right on their tail and drive them into that direction and it's unavoidable at that point. It'd be harder to figure out how to turn around and face the attackers again.

After hurrying away and finally losing sight of the attackers for some time they stop to breathe. Vel heals Jay (his hip, mainly, because she can't heal all of him due to being very spent already), but as soon as she's done they get going again. It's another long, and this time, very quiet trek back to the guild. They go as fast as they can, but by the time they get there, the sun has begun to rise, and they can see smoke in the distance.

When they climb up to a point where there's no mountain obscuring their vision, they can see clearly what's up ahead: the guild is on fire and burning to the ground. @AvantCoffee (from Thea's POV) and @ScarlettFire

Again, if you have any ideas, suggestions, or even things about your character that are important for each of us to remember, let me and the rest of us know!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL AND AM SO EXCITED TO WRITE WITH YOU!!!
Last edited by soundofmind on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:46 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Also, that means that @ScarlettFire is next! Sorry for all the pings but also not sorry. I love u pls don't be mad.

Here's your post info singled out just for u :)
3. In the dead of night, the group heads out with Jay leading the way alongside Thea. They head out quickly - already having most of their things put together for their originally planned get-help trip. The hardest part of the journey is in the beginning, getting out of the mountainy fortress that is the guild. Thea will be visibly nervous (but pushing through it despite everything). Vel is managing but the climb irritates and works up her wound again. When they finally make it past the steepest decline and pause on a spot of flat, though rocky terrain, Jay offers to heal as much as he can of Vel's wing, likely because he noticed her discomfort (however noticeable it was is up to you). @ScarlettFire (from Vel's POV) with @soundofmind if u want me!

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:10 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

YAY!!

On the note of climbing, this is to help in clarifying how Thea gets around with her missing leg situation (for future SB post writing help):

sound clarified to me that the climb for the next post is more a narrow ledge to get across than vertical rock climbing, which is good for Thea because she has some pretty real PTSD around climbing (see: falling almost to her death nine years ago)

Thea has both a walking stick and a compactable glider in her belongings, but neither will probably be useful to her for steep climbing or narrow ledges. She won't use her glider for this next post because it's dark (and with all the mountains around she might crash into 'em), but she also needs to stay with the others. Instead, she'll likely be using a fair amount of her air magic to keep her balanced when climbing in this next post—and when climbing steeper places in general.

Thea's walking stick is helpful on uneven ground, like forest terrain, hills, crossing waterways, and generally off the beaten path, but otherwise—on mostly flat ground—she doesn't really use or need it. Thea also doesn't really use or need her air magic to help her get around generally, because she's pretty much mastered walking with a pegleg.

When it comes to climbing, though, or navigating tricky areas or fast/precise movements, she'll almost always need her magic to some degree.

Sorry that this is kind of an info dump!! Dx Most of the time I doubt it will need bringing up, but I thought it would be good to have this info all in one place for any time it's relevant! c:

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:34 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

THIS POST WAS SO FUN TO WRITE TOGETHER @AvantCoffee and @ScarlettFire

I love Vel and how moody she is. But I also feel for her - being a harpy and not being able to fly? So sad ;-;

Also idk if anyone's been able to tell, but Jay has not slept this whole night and he's tired, lol. He spent like, his whole day traveling as fast as he could up the mountainside to reach them, and now he's back on the mountain, walking and climbing again. So feel free to add tidbits in your posts where he shows signs of exhaustion.

-<>-

In other news, that means @Jaybird is next >:) and as always, feel free to enlist any of our help to collab w/you!

4. The rest of the climb is long and difficult, but fortunately, the army is not too far away. They're just around the corner of a tall cliff-face in what's probably the only stretch of flat, manageable earth on the mountain for miles (besides where the guild is). Thea might remark that if they had to have guessed, they could've found them themselves w/out needing Jay (to which Jay might only barely scoff and roll his eyes). What they see is a massive army of footsoldiers in an army encampment.

Runi suggests that they should get a closer look to see what kind of weapons they're up against (besides sheer numbers). Jay quickly and strongly suggests not to, and Vel agrees, but they're overruled when Runi is like "just give me a minute" and slinks forward anyways w/out further prompting. @Jaybird (Runi's POV)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:16 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

My first post is up! I had a lot of fun writing it. :)

I also had to keep checking different aspects of it to make sure I wasn't messing up the plot because I totally wasn't behind on a post so please let me know if I have to change anything! All in all, I really love how it turned out.

(Also, I love that last post! I didn't read it until before I started mine, but I love how involved @AvantCoffee, @soundofmind and @ScarlettFire all were in it. :))
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:10 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@Jaybird I am absolutely in LOVE with your post! I love Runi's inner dialogue and how she's reacting to the change - kind of in denial, still, and feeling like she has to uphold the "comedic relief" role still. It's so sad that she's already putting herself under more pressure that way. :(

Also I love the bit at the end how you described her magic, and her maybe getting to blind someone with light lol. RUNI PLEASE, that's not fun, that's someone's eyes!

And you did perfectly wonderful as far as plot goes! <3 Didn't miss anything!

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:12 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Also, that means @Featherstone is next! :^)

5. When Runi slinks forward, a loose rock gets dislodged and makes noticeable noise. Everyone crouches down to hide. There's no visible reaction from those in the encampment and it doesn't seem like their presence was noticed yet. They sigh in relief and [person 1] keeps going, but doesn't make it very far.

From above, a group of people dressed in black (blending in w/the dark night) descend from the cliffside on ropes while a net descends on Vel and Han, who's closest to her. Ani is the only one who manages to get out of the way and earth-magic a shield in time. Meanwhile, Thea's knocked off her feet and tackled to the ground, Runi's held at sword-point, and Jay is seemingly untouched until one of the attackers roughly grabs him by his shirt.

Everyone observes the brief "We never told you to bring them here," kind of deal and exchange, and it dawns on them that Jay was working w/them the whole time (at least, to some degree). The air is very tense as Jay and the attacker make eye contact, and then Jay flashes a look to Ani, and kicks the guy in the sensitive region, starting a fight (you don't have to write much of it, that'll be the next post!). Whether or not Ani understands what the look means is up to you lol. @Featherstone (Ani's POV) (with @soundofmind IF YOU WANT!!)

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Mon May 11, 2020 9:27 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

soundobooks

The Outlands
@sherlockhson @Lael @Wolfical
The Challenge: Post your assigned post - at least 700 words and collaborate w/at least one person on it! :)
Completion Time: Until this challenge expires lol
Credits Awarded: Possibility of 2. One for hitting word the count and one for collaborating!

In The Wake of A Calamity
@ScarlettFire @Lael @Jaybird @AvantCoffee @Featherstone
The Challenge: Go to our SB wfp (link in the first post of the DT) and fill out the "Character Relationships" and "Character Motivations" sections! One point for filling out each completely.

Also, if you write up your next post and collab with one person on it you get one point!
Completion Time: One month
Credits Awarded: 2 points for Character info in WFP, 1 point for collaborating on a post

Pheligian Falcon: Prison Break
@PrincessInk @Oxara @Jaybird @Featherstone
The Challenge: Finish your CP and submit it!
Credits Awarded: One credit!

Since The Outlands has concluded (once again, CONGRATULATIONS, SOUND! :elephant:), I'll be posting this challenge, as well as the next, here. They've all expired, naturally.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Mon May 11, 2020 9:46 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

soundobooks

The Outlands
@Wolfical

The Challenge: Post your assigned post - at least 700 words!
Credits Awarded: Two points!

In The Wake of A Calamity
@ScarlettFire @Lael @Jaybird @AvantCoffee @Featherstone

The Challenge: One point if you collaborate with one person on your post! One point for a minimum of 800 words!

And lastly, I really want to know how your character feels about the whole situation. If you take a moment - doesn’t have to be long - to express your character’s internal reactions, thoughts, and emotions in the face of their current crisis you’ll also get one point!
Credits Awarded: Possibility of 3 points!

Pheligian Falcon: Prison Break
@Omnom @Oxara @Jaybird @Wolfical

The Challenge: Go to the WFP for the storybook and fill out the character impressions section for your character (on line 53)!
Completion Time: One week
Credits Awarded: One credit!

Here's the other challenge, as promised!
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 30, 2020 7:27 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

*pokes* I reposted the challenge so ya'll can claim points >:)

how's everyone been doing?

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian