Young Writers Society

Defenders of the Dust City DT

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:28 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

This is definitely a little late, but I loved your first post. It was incredibly entertaining to read, and your writing style is awesome.

By the way, welcome to the storybook! It's cool to have another person taking part in it.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:09 am
View Likes
Samhain says...

Thanks! I hope to post more installments soon! I'll be pretty busy though.......
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

103 Reviews

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 am
Samhain says...

Just posted 2nd installment of Mav Jensen. @Terian805 @Magestorrow @Lael @Tortwag

I HAVE AN IDEA OF WHO IS SOLOMON CROW'S EQUAL OMG.

Idea: The only rival of Mr. Solomon Crow, rumoured most powerful Gifted in Dust City, is a female Gifted who has the ability to not only move between Earth and Dust City at will, but can also move people back and forth as well.

See my 2nd post for Mav Jensen. Here is the rest of my idea:
Spoiler! :
At the very end of the installment, he is pushed back to Earth by an unseen hand, just before he is taken by Impalpables. Why? Because she (the woman who is rival of Crow) is the enemy of Mr. Crow, and she knows just as much as they do why Maverick Jensen was called to Dust City. He was called there to protect it.
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:45 pm
Terian805 says...

Hey @AmadeusW, I liked your post a lot!
You're bringing forth some cool ideas, but we've already discussed who is Mr Crow's equal. Her name is Ella Beckett, and she's basically the sister of my character Finn, who was killed in a train crash, but ended up in the Dust City. She is being hunted down by the Impalpables, as she is a 'host' of a god of the Dust City as is Mr Crow. If you look at some of @Tortwag's posts, you'll see Ella introduced.

I explained this whole part of the story in a post on page 5 of this DT, which I posted exactly one year ago on December 12th. Please do have a look at that, and ask if you have any questions! Also, on the Character Sheet for my character Finn, you might get a little more info about Ella and who she is.

But as to your idea, sure, I believe Ella could have been the one who magically took Mav into the Dust City. That sounds interesting! Ella cannot however, move between Earth and the Dust City, she is actually trapped in the Dust City, so I don't think that idea would quite work
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

103 Reviews

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 am
Samhain says...

Whoops didn't catch that. But I'm glad you like Mav's story so far!
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

103 Reviews

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 am
View Likes
Samhain says...

Questions:
1. Who cursed Ella to be stuck in Dust City?
2. Is there anyone who could theoretically free her?
3. Do I have permission to give Ella a history and create relationships and things? Or is there already a bio for her?

@Terian805

Also: in my Mav Jensen post 3, I decided to introduce Ella. What are your thoughts? I can always change the story. I read your post in regards to the Spirit of Renewal, and I wondered if maybe Mav Jensen would be the one to be bestowed the spirit thingy from Ella, so he would then become the one to defeat the impalpables. But then that might conflict with Maverick Jensen becoming one of the impalpables for a short time.
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

@AmadeusW Congrats on getting your third post down despite Life being Life, m'dear!
Though I haven't read said third part yet, do remind me: is its setting placed before current, present-time events? Because Ella has already been introduced, as it happens! In fact, she's currently chilling with Mage's character, Adrian, atop a giant treadmill. So, yeah! You'll probably have to change that - though if it's a flashback or the likes, you're in the clear.

As for Maverick being the one to get Ella's blessing whenever she croaks, depends! What d'you think it would bring to the story, m'dear, and how would it affect Maverick's powers? Personally, I'm very interested to see @Magestorrow's Adrian be the one instead, 'cause A: his shape-shifting ability would just skyrocket in utility, dude would be able to create, reshape, modify and just do whatever he'd want with body parts, it would be pretty cool; B: it would be a wonderful excuse for a character growth, and considering how insecure and shy he is, it would fit his needs rather well, and C: he's already got a million different faces he switches from all the time, so it would be much easier to hide him or have him blend in with whoever or whatever he wants, provided he could mask his status as an Avatar, or learn to do so.

In that case, his shapeshifting would act kind of like the Omnitrix in the Ben 10 universe: in the sense that, originally, that thing has like 10000+ Alien species inside of it because it's a tool for communication (and what better way to communicate than by assuming the form of the species that inhabits the planet you're gonna visit), buuut then it ended up becoming a weapon because the idealistic designer didn't have enough foresight. XD
Point being: having Adrian being able to relate to any side of Dust City but struggling to do it because of his insecurities would be cool, or so I think, so eh, I'd rather vote for him instead. Food for thought, everyone!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:55 pm
View Likes
Terian805 says...

Great post, i really enjoyed it @AmadeusW I have a few pointers though. Impalpables aren't really people who are trapped between the real world and the dream world, they're just fairly evil, and powerful people who want to kidnapp Lucids.

In answer to your questions, Ella isnt really cursed to remain in the Dust City, she literally died in a train crash, so she transferred her essence over to the Dust City where she remains. So she doesnt really have a body but it would make sense i suppose that she could project herself to the real world, being as powerful as she is.

Ella does also does have a backstory already. She is the sister of my character Finn, whom he assumes is already dead. I haven't got much further than that though so if you have any more interesting ideas for her character then I'm open to them!

In regards to the buisness of whom Ella transfers her powers to, I'm interested to see everyone's perspectives on the situation. That might take some deciding before we fully go with who it'll be!
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

103 Reviews

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:16 pm
View Likes
Samhain says...

I went back to the post and changed the word impalpable to the word Outcast. I don't know if you already had a name for these people, but what do you think of this: An Outcast is a person who is trapped between the dream world and the real world. Do you already have something like this?
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

40 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

@AmadeusW Have you read the previous posts, m'dear? I'm not asking out of spite, I simply aren't sure/can't tell if you have, considering that all the questions you've asked so far - save for this asking for suggestions from us - are ones you can answer yourself by, well, reading everything that came before Maverick. It's kind of required, to make sure nothing unfitting comes up. Would you prefer a summary of the main events, if you're too busy? I've mentioned that possibility last time specifically because I know Life gets in the way, so I'm just reiterating here, but eh, better be safe than sorry.

Be aware that you'll be left with less details and more questions to ask yourself than if you read the posts yourself, though. Choice is yours! I'm all ears.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

103 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:13 pm
View Likes
Samhain says...

I am very busy a lot of the time which is why I still haven't gotten to reading all the posts and things. A summary would be much appreciated if you have a moment. I can always remove post 3 for Maverick if it makes things weird in the throughline of the story. Since this is a Storybook, I am totally open to writing something else for my 3rd post if it keeps things smoother. *winks*
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

40 Reviews

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:45 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

Okay, so that's a solid - albeit interestingly indirect! - no. Thanks!

You don't have to remove anything, m'dear, since... yeah, the only thing that truly matters (besides fun) is to make sure that everything has a semblance of, y'know, continuity. Theyre's an edit button for that, so eh, we'll just make sure to spam it appropriately.

Summary it is! It shall be provided soon.

103 Reviews

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:17 am
Samhain says...

What do you mean by Spam it?
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

40 Reviews

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

Well, when you spam a button, it means that you use it/press it and/or use whatever it triggers repeatedly. Which, in the case if the Edit button, usually happens early on in SBs, due to the fact that we don't necessarily know characters enough to write everyone well. Doesn't happen all the time, though, but there you have it!

103 Reviews

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:06 am
Samhain says...

@Terian805 and @TinkerTwaggy I am ready to start writing post 4 for Mav Jensen. Question: what if Ella Beckett, while temporarily projecting herself into the real world to talk to Mav, leaves behind a ring that contains the Red Liquid which thus attracts the Impalpables to Maverick... I'd like your opinions on this. Is this storybook still going? I'd like to help move this story forward.
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

i like that the title of dr jekyll and mr hyde makes a clear stance that the embodiment of one’s own evil doesn’t get a claim to the doctorate
— waywardxwallflower