z

Young Writers Society

Not sure if i should keep going. Advice?

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:22 pm
goshyeahkissing says...

The cold air stung. I stretched my hand out trying to find warmth in Jasper. He wasn't there. I pulled our old blanket over my face in a desperate attempt to keep out the cold. The blanket smelled like must and the out doors. Jasper must have already left for work. I closed my eyes hoping for more sleep. I was fooling myself. I sat up slowly and wiped the sleep out of my eyes noting that the sun wasn’t up yet. Jasper shouldn’t have left yet. I stood up and wrapped the blanked around my cold trembling body. Winters were hard. No crops meant less food and it was impossible to keep the chill out of our small woodland house. My feet were numb from the cold. I was half tempted to light the kerosene lamp on the bedside table for a little warmth but kerosene wasn’t cheap and the sun would be up soon. Our house was one big room.
We had a small gas stove and a sink against the wall by our front door. A table for two and a once yellow rug; It was now a light brown. Our bed which was a queen took up most of the space. We had no bed frame and no box spring so it was just a mattress in the middle of the room. Our only blanket was a dark army green color; it had several rips and was as thin as paper. Pillows were out of the story long ago.
World war three had wiped out most of the country and what was left of it was dark, gray, soiled poverty. Everyone was hungry and work was a blessing. Not that there were morals or beliefs anymore. The world had become ugly. People would kill there own family if it meant a hot meal and a warm place to sleep at night.
Surprisingly we were one of the lucky ones. Enough land to plant crops every year and someone with a steady job in a factory making 80 cents an hour working 12 hours a day 5 days a week.
"Maryann…" a soft lulling voice spoke from behind. I shivered as I felt his sturdy hands slide around my waist.
"Jasper, I thought you left for work. Where were you this morning?" He pressed his face in my long strawberry blonde hair. I could feel him smiling.
"I went out and got you something"
"What?" I turned around to face him. He was smiling softly . His light blonde hair looked dirty. His hair had been light sense I met him. It was almost white. He didn’t answer me.
"Come on Jasper. Please?" I smiled up at him putting on my best puppy pout.
"If you insist." He pulled a huge bouquet of wild daises out from behind our kitchen table. I gaped. They were beautiful.
"Where did you-" he cut me off.
"Don't worry about it sweetie." I set them down on top of the table.
"Come here." I whispered slyly. He grinned and came close to me and sat his hands on my hips. I tilted my chin up and he crushed his lips against mine. Memories of cheap wine and daisies flooded my head. It was our anniversary! How could I have forgotten?
We had met when we were 16 and got married at the early age of 18. We were in love. We couldn’t see a future with out each other so we ran away together to get married. We didn’t have any money and we didn't even know where we were going to go. We eventually got married in California and ended up on our piece of land where we've been for nine years.
The kiss ended with a sweet sigh.

Poetry is the art of creating imaginary gardens with real toads.
— Marianne Moore