z

Young Writers Society

Butterfly Kingdom - Chapter One

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:40 pm
hazellgreene says...

Spoiler! :
Before you say anything...I know the ending needs refining - I'll be the first to admit it's abrupt!

I had a letter addressed to me three months after Callum died. My address had been typed and there was no return address. There was no way of knowing who it was from.
I didn’t often receive letters. More like it would be an email or a text from a friend, asking me about this or that. Letters were rare – and more often than not they would simply be a bank statement.
But this letter I instinctively knew was different. Bank statements had a return address and a little plastic window on the front. This envelope was cream and windowless.
I took it to the kitchen, whacking on the radio. Mum wasn’t home and she wouldn’t be until five. The silence of the empty house was the only thing that frightened me. I would always have to have some sort of noise to fill it.
I still remember the song that was playing when I read the letter. Cable car by The Fray. Normally I would have sung along; I knew all the words. But not so soon. Not while I was reading that letter.
The pain was too deep, the wound still too fresh to be torn open again. I almost threw up, the pain was so overwhelming.
The letter was from him.
I recognised the writing immediately and the familiarity, which I thought I’d pushed out of my mind, hit me like a punch in the stomach. I doubled over the table, my head crashed down onto the hard wood and the tears came automatically, uncontrollably like a torrent. I cried out, half-screaming and I pushed the letter away. It slid off the table, onto the floor and I half-lay on the table until my cries subsided into gentle racking sobs.
I sobbed pathetically for a bit, trying to put off reading the letter. I knew I had to, I just had to.
So I forced myself, as someone might force a toothbrush down their throat to trigger the gag reflex. I picked up the letter, felt it’s slightly rough texture in my hands for a moment, before reading through my own address in the right hand corner. Only to start with. To prepare myself. Even the sight of his handwriting was painful.
I read the date – twenty-third of the fourth. Three days before. Three days! I forced myself to read on.

Fay,
You know why you’re reading this, don’t you?

‘Yes,’ I whispered to myself, my voice husky and broken, reading the inky words through a kaleidoscope of muted tears.

I’m sorry.
I’ve written several of these letters, but this one will be the hardest.

Would it have been easier if you’d said it to my face then, Cal?

You must understand one thing before I go on. You were never the reason. Never, never. It was nothing to do with you. Just the repercussions of my own actions. I dug myself a hole. You had no part in it.
That’s not to say you weren’t an important part of my life, because you were. I watched you grow, watched you blossom, until I couldn’t bear your beauty anymore.

Well, that’s convenient isn’t it?
I began to get angry. Why couldn’t he have told me this in person, before he….well…died.
It’s the coward’s way out, writing letters. We could have talked, he could have told me, I could have saved me the way he saved me. We could have held each other above the waves.

I’m stubborn. I’m selfish. I didn’t want help, you knew that. I let myself drown and we both know that.

Don’t I just.

I only let myself drown because I knew you needed something better, someone more stable, more worth your while.

How can you say that? After everything.

But it’s over now. You can go back to normal. Everyone can go back to normal, just as I was never there. As if you never stared at me two years ago and as if I never grinned stupidly back.

He remembered, I sighed inwardly.

I’m not saying we were a mistake. Never. I don’t regret a single moment I shared with you.

Then why did you end it?

I don’t really know what I’m trying to say. My mind is caught up and for once, I don’t know why.
But do for me, this one thing, because a dead man’s wish is one most to be respected.
It’s only small, a favour to my carers at Lakeview. Please get all my things out of my locker and give them back to them. They deserve it. They gave me a home, food, shelter, education, all that jazz and that’s the least they deserve.
There’s something for you in there too.
You’ll know what it is.

I was silent. Brooding. Numb.
I couldn’t feel anything. The tears had stopped, dried in the corners of my eyes.
The letter slipped out of my hands. I didn’t move for a while. Just concentrated on breathing properly. Even so, my breath snagged in my throat too many times and I found myself gasping for air, struggling to stay afloat.
Lakeview.
The care centre where he’d been housed since he was eleven, since his dad left and his mum died. When he turned fifteen, he moved into a halfway house. It was just a mobile home, parked at the end of a local orchard, the land rent paid monthly by the centre.
I relayed these facts around in my mind, trying to keep my thoughts away from the letter, from the task.
I glanced quickly at the clock. The second hand seemed to jerk impossibly slowly around its origin.
A quarter to five. Fifteen minutes until my mother would arrive, promptly and with a gust of cold air and smoky scent.
I launched myself into action, grabbing the note and scrunching it up. Upstairs, I threw it on my bed and went along to the bathroom, where I splashed freezing water on my face. I dried and watched myself in the mirror. My face was a little blotchy, but the redness was calming, as were the bulging veins in my eyes. I certainly looked as though I had been crying. Damn.
I heard the front door swing open, but I didn’t move. Just stared into the depths of my eyes, watching my pupils dilate.
‘Fay, I’m home.’ I heard her sweet voice rattle up the stairs to where I was. I steeled myself and nodded slightly at my reflection, before joining her downstairs.
Her hair was slightly frizzy, having escaped out of the band that pulled her hair into a tail at the back of her head. She poured herself a glass of water.
‘Hi mum,’ I greeted her.
‘Hi honey,’ she pulled me to her and kissed my forehead. ‘Good day?’
I almost choked. ‘Yes,’ I croaked. She looked at me strangely before turning back to her briefcase on the kitchen table.
‘What are you doing tonight?’ she asked conversationally. I caught her falsely bright tone instantly, recognising it from thousands of identical conversations we’d had.
‘Just homework and stuff,’ I answered my nondescript, usual answer.
‘Good,’ she said gently, sitting down at the table with her glass of water. ‘I’ve got a ton of work that needs doing. Katy wants it in by Friday and Leila’s dumped another report on my desk that needs retyping.’
I left her to it. She carried on mumbling away, complaining about the work that needed doing, the various work colleagues who were apparently under-qualified for the job.
...we're only good for the latest trends...

I walk on wounds that seldom prove to slow me down

'Writing is a cop-out. An excuse to live perpetually in fantasy land, where you can create, direct and watch the products of your own head. Very selfish.'
~ Monica Dickens

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:27 pm
Lavvie says...

Hi again hazellgreene! I'm here as you requested via PM.

As a little note and personal thought on my part, I don't see how your prologue of sorts was really necessary. It felt more like a summary every moment I read further into this chapter. So you could definitely go without the prologue since it doesn't do much comprehension-wise. It's just kind of... there. Not all stories need prologues.

So far, I'm not so crazy about this protagonist of yours and, going back to the prologue, she completely defies what you wrote there. If I remember correctly, it was written that she didn't feel the same way about this boy (who is now Callum, I take it?) and then when I read this chapter, she's entirely out of sorts when his letter arrives. So, how is this girl really feeling about the boy? I'm confused. Or is that intentional on your part? But I don't really think so since it was such a prominent thing in the chapter here.

That's the other thing. Despite how torn up this girl may be about Callum's death (or any death for that matter), I found her reaction to his letter to be almost too melodramatic. I mean, she broke down into hysterical tears when she saw his handwriting. I think that's taking it a bit too far, especially since she hasn't even read it yet. If you would like your female protagonist to be viewed as dramatic and crying a lot, maybe do it when she actually has a decent excuse to stand for. Such as she could break down into sobs once she's read a few lines of the letter at least. But I still seriously think that hitting her head on a table and flinging herself all over the place when she sees who's handwriting it is is a bit over-the-top, don't you think?

A few nitpicks:

Bank statements had a return address and a little plastic window on the front. This envelope was cream and windowless.

Alright, I don't think you successfully wrote how this letter could not be a bank statement besides the plastic window part. Bank statements can also be in cream-coloured envelopes. I've seen it. So maybe you might want to write - to inform us as the readers that there is no way this letter can be a bank statement - something along the lines of: Bank statements had a return address and a little plastic window on the front. However, this envelope had no return address and no plastic window. I don't know, that's just a suggestion, but I also feel that it reads better than the original.

Overall, I'm intrigued, though a little annoyed with your protagonist. She's not really very strong at the moment and she seems to cry at the tiniest things. But then maybe that's because I don't know yet how Callum affected her. I'm also a bit muddled over whether she loved Callum or not since in the prologue, I thought it was written the feelings were not mutual. I dunno.

If you have any questions about this review, you know you can just shoot me a PM. :D

Yours,
Lavvie

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451