z

Young Writers Society

Being Honest with Me

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:32 pm
deelish says...

I peer down at the girl in the green coat and criticize her in my mind. She's taken several strands of her hair and has made the poor decision to "dye" it by using a bright iridescent highlighter. Dabbing splashes of green onto those pitiful pieces of hair with the highlighter. Her bony hands work roughly in the process. Earlier today, her cliquey friends thought it'd be a great idea to artificially color their hair. What did they care? Maybe they didn't know they were contaminating their sleek 'dos. Even if they did, I doubt that would prevent them from doing as they pleased. I can't help but wonder in mid-criticism if her hair color is natural or not. Black roots dull the top of her scalp but in a curtain of light, stringy strands slipping past her ears, it resembled rusty flecks. How could she be so desperate to fit in?, I'd thought. Then again, that's just how it was. Fit in or stand out. She'd probably rather get jabbed in the eye than be unique. That's Wren.
Literature class is the same as usual. Nothing to necessarily look forward to. As usual in our daily routine, we are ordered back to our seats from the discussion spot in the classroom. The maximum number of students at a table is four. At mine, Arnie and my friend Elise sit on one side. Wren and I face them on the opposite side. We're all unlikely to be seen with each other outside of this class besides Elise and I. Wren can be found walking all around school with her popular group of friends. It's not exactly a "they rule the school" sort of situation. But they are in the top grade at my middle school, so they tend to be placed near the top of the social pyramid.
Anyhow, Elise is writing in her notebook all delicately and asking me questions occasionally when confusion at the assignment muddles her concentration. Wren and I are excessively taping down sheets into our workbooks like we're in some mad race to out-tape each other. Mrs. Walden is known for handing out guides on improving her students' writing techniques. When she does, they are to be put away into our workbooks. For your information, we're not enemies. Not at all. If anything, we're neutral acquaintances. The type of relationship where you only talk to each other when needed. I don't bother her, she doesn't bother me. Arnie is quietly brainstorming at his corner of the table. Once I'm finished taping my sheets down, I surrender myself to brainstorming mode. Mrs. Walden shuffles by, her short black hair framing her slightly wrinkled face. When she smiles, her wrinkles substitute for dimples. Like those dimples no longer wanted to appear anymore, so they left for an extended vacation.
"Um, I have a question," Arnie states.
I think I cringed when he uttered that dreaded word. Um. Considering we're not super close pals, I don't know if he says it often...but he's acquired the habit of dropping it in his sentences frequently in literature class. It doesn't sound good in my ears. In fact, if he removed that word out of his vocabulary, listening to him talk might be more nice. Without the constant ums showing up everywhere like spinach stuck in people's teeth. Arnie's shirt is missing some white fabric, his glasses are clear and rectangular, plus he's got braces. Arnie is a little on the tan side. Although I don't have the evidence (I haven't gotten around to asking him), I suspect he's Greek. Now I'm not saying all Greek people are tan, so it's just my instinct speaking here. A wavy mess of dark curls nestle on his head. If I were to evaluate his physical qualities, he'd definitely lean toward the nerdy side. He's a dork. I didn't write that to insult him, so try not to be misled. But by middle school standards, he is a dork. I think Arnie's cute in a bookish way. I don't know if I could call him "my dork", though. Mostly because I don't have the right to. We're not going out and the only real similarity between us I can identify is that we sit at the same table. Two peas in a pods, right?
"Arnie, can you say a sentence without saying 'um' for once?" Mrs. Walden jokingly comments.
He replies and manages to dodge the blasted word.
Once Mrs. Walden moves on the next table, I try to find the courage to ask him what I kept buzzing at the back of my throat. I couldn't help myself. The bee was coming out whether I liked it or not.
"So, Arnie, were you at the high school last night? I think I saw you there..." I mustered.
"No, I didn't go last night."
"You went?" Wren interjects, focusing her attention onto me.
"Yeah," I answer.
"Arnie, are you going to Fullerton High School?" I ask.
"No, I'm not going to FHS. I'm going to a different school," Arnie casually shoots back.
Little did he know his reply sent me into a wild frenzy. I did my best to keep my thoughts to myself, of course.
Burdensomely.
Arnie wasn't going to the same high school as me? Weird. I really didn't see it coming. Nor did I want to see it happen either. That meant I basically had less than one school year to make things happen. Or remain in my cozy little state of being table partners. I felt the pressure of breaking out of my comfort zone squeezing the very core of my heart. Honestly? I'd had a crush on Arnie once upon a time. So why was I feeling this way again, but only to learn that those feelings were being magnified by one hundred percent from---dare I say it---hormones? How in your teen years, your emotions become more intense since you're more knowledgeable on how to navigate these raw emotions. At least that's how I viewed this dilemma. I was entering the battlefield. Only, I was going in blind for the first time in a long time.

Note to the reader: If there are any grammatical/spelling errors, feel free to correct me but try not to go crazy with it. Also, there's a blank when I refer to the high school name for privacy reasons. This story is based on a true event but certain details of it were changed for, once again, privacy reasons. I'm unsure if I want to continue this at the moment. However, this is what I do have so far. The title is 'Being Honest with Me' because it shows how Gardner is struggling to be honest about her feelings towards the whole Arnie situation. Enjoy~

-Deelish
Last edited by deelish on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:21 pm
StoryWeaver13 says...

I peer down at the girl in the green coat and openly criticize her in my mind. How are you openly criticizing if it's in your mind? She's taken several strands of her hair and has made the poor decision to "dye" it by using a bright iridescent highlighter. Dabbing splashes of green onto those pitiful pieces of hair with the highlighter. Her bony hands work roughly in the process. Earlier today, her cliquey friends thought it'd be a great idea to artificially color their hair. What did they care? "What did they care" seemed like a strange reaction to me. Maybe they didn't know they were contaminating their sleek 'dos. Even if they did, I doubt that would prevent them from doing as they pleased. I can't help but wonder in mid-criticism if her hair color is natural or not. Black roots dull the top of her scalp but in a curtain of light, stringy strands slipping past her ears, it resembled rusty flecks. How could she be so desperate to fit in?, I'd thought. Then again, that's just how it was. Fit in or stand out. She'd probably rather get jabbed in the eye than be unique. That's Wren.

Literature class is the same as usual. Nothing to necessarily look forward to. Until Mrs. Walden orders us back to our seats. Again, this doesn't completely click into place for me. It's not something to look forward to, until being told to sit down? But I'm reviewing while I'm reading, so this might make sense as I keep going. The maximum number of students at a table is four. At mine, Arnie and my friend Elise sit on one side. Wren and I face them on the opposite side. We're all unlikely to be seen with each other outside of this class besides Elise and I. Wren can be found walking all around school with her popular group of friends. It's not exactly a "they rule the school" sort of situation, but they are in the top grade at my middle school, so they tend to be placed near the top of the social pyramid.

Anyhow, Elise is writing in her notebook all delicately Something about this wording sounds very criticizing.... and asking me questions occasionally when confusion at the assignment muddles her concentration. Wren and I are excessively taping down sheets into our workbooks like we're in some mad race to out-tape each other. We're not enemies. Not at all. If anything, we're neutral acquaintances. The type of relationship where you only talk to each other when needed. I don't bother her, she doesn't bother me. Arnie is quietly brainstorming at his corner of the table. Once I'm finished taping my sheets down, I surrender myself to brainstorming mode. Mrs. Walden shuffles by, her short black hair framing her slightly wrinkled face. When she smiles, her wrinkles substitute for dimples. Like those dimples no longer wanted to appear anymore, so they left for an extended vacation. I don't really get what project they're all working on. Not an important thing, but it wouldn't hurt to elaborate a little on what they're doing with tape and such.

"Um, I have a question," Arnie states.

I think I cringed when he uttered that dreaded word. Um. I feel like your character likes to point out flaws a lot. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an interesting personality quirk, but it does make her come off as being a little pessimistic. Considering we're not super close pals, I don't know if he says it often...but he's acquired the habit of dropping it in his sentences frequently in literature class. It doesn't sound good in my ears. In fact, if he removed that word out of his vocabulary, listening to him talk might be more nicer. < Fix this sentence here.Without the constant um's showing up everywhere like spinach stuck in people's teeth. Arnie's shirt is missing some white fabric, his glasses are clear and rectangular, plus he's got braces. Arnie is a little on the tan side. Although I don't have the evidence (I haven't gotten around to asking him), I suspect he's Greek. Now I'm not saying all Greek people are tan, so it's just my instinct speaking here. A wavy mess of dark curls nestle on his head. He's a dork. I didn't write that to insult him, for your information. But by middle school standards, he is a dork. I think Arnie's cute in a bookish way. I don't know if I could call him "my dork", though. Mostly because I don't have the right to. We're not going out and the only real similarity between us I can identify is that we sit at the same table. Two peas in a pods, right? Okay, so I feel like your train of thought jumps around a lot in this part. First you're talking about his appearance out of nowhere, then where he gets his skin tone which kinda flows into the appearance-thing, then suddenly into describing personality. It's good to start developing characters but I do think it needs to ease into it a little more naturally.

"Arnie, can you say a sentence without saying 'um' for once?" Mrs. Walden jokingly comments.

Once Mrs. Walden moves on the next table, I try to find the courage to ask him what I kept buzzing at the back of my throat. I couldn't help myself. The bee was coming out whether I liked it or not.

"So, Arnie, were you at the high school last night? I think I saw you there..." I mustered.

"No, I didn't go last night."

"You went?" Wren interjects, focusing her attention onto me.

"Yeah," I answer.

"Arnie, are you going to _____ High School?" I ask. Why leave a blank space? Come up with a fake name. ;)

"No, I'm not going to ______ High School. I'm going to a different school," Arnie casually shoots back. Those seem like a strange combination of words.

Little did he know his reply sent me into a wild frenzy. I did my best to keep my thoughts to myself, of course.

Burdensomely.

Arnie wasn't going to the same high school as me? Weird. I really didn't see it coming. Nor did I want to see it happen either. That meant I basically had less than one school year to make things happen. Or remain in my cozy little state of being table partners. I felt the pressure of breaking out of my comfort zone squeezing the very core of my heart. Honestly? I'd had a crush on Arnie once upon a time. So why was I feeling this way again, but only to learn that those feelings were being magnified by one hundred percent from---dare I say it---hormones? How in your teen years, your emotions become more intense since you're more knowledgeable on how to navigate these raw emotions. At least that's how I viewed this dilemma. I was entering the battlefield. Only, I was going in blind for the first time in a long time. I think it's interesting how mentally your character is suddenly spiraling out of control, hearing that concluding in a flash-second that she still likes him and that this is a serious issue with her. I really do think there's something kind of cute about that. Your character definitely seems rationally-minded, almost strategic in the way she thinks of things, and I find that a little endearing too. But I think this stopped so suddenly with very little climax. I was surprised when I scrolled down and realized this was the end! Your characters could've been a little more developed, but I'm very picky about that, and realistically they did form pretty well around the end. The dialogue, though, could definitely be cleaned up to sound more realistic. I wanted more reaction between your characters - how does Arnie feel about Wren? Is your main character's name even stated (if it is, sorry, didn't catch it)? How do Arnie and your main character act around each other, like friends or more casual than that? All in all, this is a good start. Tweak it a bit and I think this has potential.

Note to the reader: If there are any grammatical/spelling errors, feel free to correct me but try not to go crazy with it. Also, there's a blank when I refer to the high school name for privacy reasons. This story is based on a true event but certain details of it were changed for, once again, privacy reasons. I'm unsure if I want to continue this at the moment. However, this is what I do have so far. The title is 'Being Honest with Me' because it shows how I am struggling to be honest about my feelings towards the whole Arnie situation. Enjoy~

-Deelish
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:16 am
Evi says...

Hey deelish!

I peer down at the girl in the green coat and criticize her in my mind.

After coming back to read this for a second time, I perplexed. If they're sitting at a table together, Wren would have to be quite short for the narrator to be peering down at her. Across the table, maybe. But down seems odd. It confused me about the setting when I first read this line.

Literature class is the same as usual. Nothing to necessarily look forward to.

Short fiction is best when stuff is happening, so in general, avoid wasting any words to say that, well, nothing is happening! If nothing interesting goes on in Literature class other than a way to bring up Arnie, Elise, and Wren (which appears to be the case) then I'd suggest you spend those words talking about somewhere/sometime when conflict is evident.

Anyhow, Elise is writing in her notebook all delicately and asking me questions occasionally when confusion at the assignment muddles her concentration. Wren and I are excessively taping down sheets into our workbooks like we're in some mad race to out-tape each other.

Watch out for adverbs-- they can be pesky little things, sneaking up and making your prose feel like you're telling instead of showing. What does it mean to write delicately? How does her hand, or how do the letters, look on the page? What does the excessively-taped workbook look like?

For your information, we're not enemies.

Who are the referring to here? The last person mentioned was Mrs. Walton, but that doesn't really make sense. I'd stick a name here for clarification.

Without the constant ums showing up everywhere like spinach stuck in people's teeth.

Nice imagery! A good use of a simile.

Perhaps you could show us his reply-- it seems odd to say "he replies" without giving any dialogue. It's akin to reading a book where "Harry said something, and then Ron nodded and responded with a whisper." We want to know what's being exchanged!

"Arnie, are you going to Fullerton High School?" I ask.

One thing to keep in mind-- I find that when teens are aware and used to a certain place, they abbreviate. For example, when talking about a school called McAllister Heights High School, my friends and I would never use its full name. We'd call it MH or McAllister or something. This character would probably only ask, "Arnie, are you going to Fullerton?"

Only, I was going in blind for the first time in a long time.

Hmm, this is intriguing-- what does it mean to be going in blind as opposed to going in with sight, so to speak? This suggests that the character has gone onto the battlefield before, just not blind. Consider expanding or clarifying this statement if you wish to keep it there.

:arrow: Overall

This is posted in the Short Story section, but by your author note, it seems perhaps you meant this to be the first section of a long work? I can't be sure. Either way, I feel like this needs to stronger to make any real impact. My issues is not with the writing, which I enjoyed, but rather with the subject matter. Frankly, nothing happens here. I didn't even realize the narrator liked Arnie until she came out and said it, which means you're not conveying her emotions enough. Readers don't want to be handheld and told that X likes Y; we want to be presented with the evidence of X smiling shyly and Y and stumbling over their words. If this story is about the narrator's feelings for Arnie, they must be strong, otherwise the story will sink.

Instead of this in-between introduction thing, pick an event (not background story, not introspection, not a segway into introducing important characters, but an actual occurrence) and use that as your opening. It should be relevant but gripping-- something charged wit enough conflict and plot to engage us in the story. Because that's what I'm missing right now: a reason to read on. So this girl sits in Literature class with a guy she likes and a popular girl who highlights her hair. It's interesting, but you as the author need to make me care. And the best way to make me care is to make me worry about them. Best way to make me worry about them? ;) Introduce a problem-- conflict.

Overall, good job, keep writing, and PM me for anything!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:54 am
Snoink says...

Hi! Truth is stranger than fiction, right? ;)

So, I'll be the first one to admit that I love these juicy kinds of romances, especially if it's based on reality()!!) My friends make fun of me because of this all the time, but frankly, I don't matter. It all works out, right? :) So, it's good to see you undertake this kind of project! :D

Anyway, just a couple of things! You need to bring out you more. This probably sounds obvious, but at the beginning of the story, the average dumb reader (that's me! :)) doesn't actually know who you are, especially if we don't know you personally. So, the place where you start (basically, criticizing Wren) seems a little out of place. What makes it even more out of place is that, after criticizing Wren, I was kind of expecting a story that was with you versus Wren, but it doesn't seem like it's that at all. Well, at least not yet. Maybe you and Wren will have to fight for Arnie? I don't know!

Another thing... Arnie. From the way it's written, it makes it sound like the only reason why you're going after Arnie is because he's going to be in another high school. Which is kind of weird because you have this story about how Arnie and you are friends! So, I think you should expand on this a bit more, because it'll make Arnie's and your relationship seem a lot more meaningful. I mean, that is the catalyst that causes this whole courtship thing. But, let's know the background of it!

So, basically, take a step back. I know that you want to get into the interesting stuff, but if you're writing for readers, assume that they are stupid and don't really know who you are at all. That way, we can get to know you (along with the rest of the cast and crew!) much better. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 am
Priceless says...

Hi there!
The only glaring problem on this is I see no connection between what the narrator thinks of Wren and what she thinks of Arnie. It looks like a part of a novel. I'm kinda confused. Is she jealous of Wren? Does she think Arnie likes Wren or something? And if she thinks Arnie's cute why does she start off by criticizing him?

That's really the only thing you have to clear up, otherwise this was nice. :)
We're all a little weird. And life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:36 pm
ElizaWards says...

I really liked how you described everything. I got confused with all the people, but when I realized that it was in a Diary kind of form...I understood it more.

In part of the story you put ---dare I say it--- May be you could change the - to ... as it is more effective.

...dare I say it? Hormones.

But I really enjoyed it. I really think you should update it and let me know what happens to this short romance story :)

Eliza Wards

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan