z

Young Writers Society

my love letters belong in the fire

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:14 am
View Likes
LadyBug says...

hello everyone! i'm going to be doing napo '23! wish me luck : )
"the wedding was charming if a little gauche; there's only so far new money goes.... it must have been her fault his heart gave out"

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:22 am
View Likes
EsmerayaRose says...

Spoiler! :
OMGGG cant wait to read some of your poems also loving the title
I promise this type of pain only gets worse
~Esmeraya~

she/they

232 Reviews

Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:43 am
View Likes
LadyBug says...

EsmerayaRose wrote:
Spoiler! :
OMGGG cant wait to read some of your poems also loving the title

thank you!!! <3 i cannot wait to see your work @EsmerayaRose
"the wedding was charming if a little gauche; there's only so far new money goes.... it must have been her fault his heart gave out"

232 Reviews

Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:45 pm
View Likes
LadyBug says...

you smoked away the ambience of the summer’s rain, under the no smoking sign, cards and coffee
Your ironic acerbity.
and i always said that you’d be way too big for this little cobblestone-clad city
I never knew how soon.
and your silver screens and diamond earrings and boys with too much money
For your own good.

and i wonder if your sleight of hand charisma ever has me in your hometown, your starry friends
I will never meet.
and i always cursed myself for keeping you here in my misery’s company, i watch you from
The one big screen.
and you had to move to tinseltown and lose the sparkle in your green eyes, and leave me for
Numbers I don’t see.

and i smoked away the ambience of your coffee-stained memoir, baroque as your decorum
I never left page 116.
and it rains non-stop outside the window, decorated with sunsets i’ll never document for you
because my dépite roams.
under cobblestone bridges you never arrived over, or loved me under, or crossed with my sorrow, because
You never even promised your return.

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:35 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Spoiler! :
Okay there are some super interesting things happening in this poem! It's almost like there are two separate threads of thought/style being woven together? Like you alternate between longer lines (with no capitalization and winding, poetic images) and then shorter lines (with more conventional capitalization and more direct language). It has a super neat effect! I haven't read anything like it before I don't think, but I really like it. :)

Also "acerbity" is a fabulous word. I hadn't heard it before, so I had to look it up, and am definitely going to be adding that to my vocabulary!

You're off to a fabulous start! I can't wait to see where the rest of NaPo takes you~
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:10 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :
I agree with Hijinks you've got some lovely word-choice in here, that just made me kind of smile! Like "cobblestone-clad" and "depite" (which I think may call for a second diacritical mark?) and also acerbity! Ah! fun words!

I think my favorite lines were these: "under cobblestone bridges you never arrived over, or loved me under, or crossed with my sorrow, because
You never even promised your return." - it gives a sense of sort of missed opportunities and disappointments towards something that had potential <3

Hope to see more poetry from you this month, keep on rolling! :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:56 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Spoiler! :
I hope you're writing this month because you're so talented! I love seeing your poems and am anxiously awaiting your next NaPo post! You can do it :)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

232 Reviews

Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:57 pm
View Likes
LadyBug says...

your love can’t look at her stretch marks,
she’s scared of change and the physical, irrevocable passing of time.
you can’t look at your scars and your bruises,
because you’re scared things will always be the same.

232 Reviews

Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:00 pm
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Spoiler! :
this poem was inspired by the really short yet hard-hitting poems i’ve seen this month from so many creators, but also by the people whose Napo threads I am following religiously. I’ve stolen themes from Williard and LadySpark because of both their god level skills and unique styles are so pretty

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:47 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Spoiler! :

To be mentioned in the company of Willard is such a compliment. To have inspired you even the tiniest bit fills me up <33333333 you are so talented!!!

I lovelovelove this poem, the first line absolutely takes my heart out of my chest and tears it apart.

hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:39 pm
View Likes
Euphory says...

Spoiler! :
if dorothea was written by you, that. that poem is what it would look like. like the reverse POV of 'tis the damn season. and i am utterly mesmerised by how you almost compile like a collection of these specific and hard hitting memories and thoughts and put them together, in turn creating this beautiful narrative around these two people.

"the physical, irrevocable passing of time" - just. perfection.
You've done some beautiful work this NaPo <333
Viola Tricolor also known as wild pansy, Johnny Jump up, heartsease, heart's ease, heart's delight, tickle-my-fancy, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, come-and-cuddle-me, three faces in a hood, love-in-idleness, and pink of my john-

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud