Young Writers Society

If spacecrafts meet

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:24 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :
Oh gosh, I look away for a minute and look at all this FABULOUS poetry that continues to pop up in this thread! I don't even know which ones to quote since I like them all. :D

I'm especially loving the paragraph poetry vibes.

The picture of the person you paint in poem 4 is so clear and thorough and poetic - and especially the opening line is just perfect, "he stays up til 1 just so he can watch the sky breath" the poem feels like speeding through a town where you just barely have time to take in all the buildings and people and then suddenly you've seen everything but all at once. And then the turn at the end to speaking in first person is a nice twist / perspective change too.

poem 5 is very relatable with the feeling of "looking from the outside" at all the seemingly perfect-happy couples. And the whole metaphor of poem 6 of lacking gravity / control is really well done too.

And also love your phrasing here: "a moony silhouette of nose sloping to forehead" such an interesting way to describe that, but in a good inventive way that paints a vivid picture to me. :) Looking forward to reading more!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:26 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

9. railway vows

the train comes in, heaving forward against the tracks
and leaving an exhalation of noise and still air behind her
and we come running: you, five steps ahead, hat tumbling off your head
and me, five steps behind, shoelaces coming undone.
we are drawn to her clanging like shipwrecked sailors to a siren -
it must be the way she is thunder and wind and lightning all held together
in steel and it must be the way she makes being a sea storm seem so elegant.
i am yelling at you "slow down" - you do not - we must be a concerning
sight to any bystander. you stop just short of her shoreline. i stop short
of breath next to you. you tell me i was too slow, you tell me
you wanted us to watch the train go by together. i hand you
your hat. i kneel down to tie my shoelace, but somewhere along the way
this turns into a proposal: pebble from the ground lifted up
with grandiosity saying "will you marry me." of course it's a joke,
but if it weren't, i think what i would really mean is "will you storm with me".
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

455 Reviews

Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:13 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Spoiler! :
@alliyah oh my goodness thank you! <3 I always have fun when I write paragraph poems :') I wasn't planning on that much prose poetry in a row, honestly, but often when I have little to no inspo I find it the easiest way to get past that.
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:51 pm
View Likes
Euphory says...

Spoiler! :
CHA-WHAT???!!!!! YOUR THREAD??? obsessed obsessed OBSESSED!!!
every single poem in your thread is mine and everyone else's favorite that is the law
also I'm going to parrot everyone who's commented on your thread by saying that I am head over heels in love with the tone and pacing of your poetry, it's quite literally a fever dream, gold rush
Speaking of gold rush, poem 8. tetherlessness reminds me of the song, gold rush, by TSwift - a high compliment, as you would know my love for the artist.
AND RAILWAY VOWS IS SO CUTE!!!! AHHH!! you describe it so deliciously well I can visualise it all in my head. And it also fits cohesively with all your other poetry in the sense that it has that fast paced series and flashes of imagery and emotion and longing- AH!!! i am hungry and devouring your poetry!!!
Anyway, this was less of a comment and even lesser of a review and more of a big gush and rant over how much I love your poetic voice and metaphors - and I am always waiting with bated breath for more!
*insert quotations of all your poems right back at you because I LOVE THEM ALL SO MUCH OH MY GOD PUBLISH THIS AS A BOOK PLEASE*
Keep up the phenomenal work!! <333
Viola Tricolor also known as wild pansy, Johnny Jump up, heartsease, heart's ease, heart's delight, tickle-my-fancy, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, come-and-cuddle-me, three faces in a hood, love-in-idleness, and pink of my john-

455 Reviews

Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:00 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

10. the art of becoming silence when it's all a little too loud

tonight the air is thick with the static of too many words -- sharp ones catch in my earrings and fold into the creases of my ears. i am weighed down by the debris of all this noise; bones buzzing at the frequency of bright lights and spinning fans. i think i might start disintegrating, softly, so i do not take up any more sound. in fact, keep winding words around me and i will begin to settle onto your shoes. i am just a little dust tonight.

-- Hank Green

they/them

455 Reviews

Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:01 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

11. an astronaut's log

i am perched here in outer space taking notes.

i believe i understand the way the earth
dances across space. there is a rhythm to her steps
and to the way she is always edging closer to the sun.
she wants to hold hands. lucky for her the universe
does not let her burn, and so she is always
spinning in circles. i asked her if she was dizzy yet
and she told me it only makes the cosmos prettier.

i believe i understand the way gravity holds the universe together
as it tries to tear itself apart at the seams. gravity
never gives up, even when he is stretched so thin
he can no longer see himself at the edges.
i wonder sometimes if he has let his purpose overcome
his existence, but i can not blame him for this.
he will be forgotten about the moment
he lets things go.

it all makes sense from so far away. it is only when i turn to you,
next to me, that i cannot begin to decipher the way you exist.
i have tried to take you apart cell by cell and read you
under a microscope, but i am starting believe
you are more a star than a being. i imagine
when you are years away i might begin to understand again.

i am perched here in outer space next to you
and i have closed my notebook.

-- Hank Green

they/them

455 Reviews

Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:27 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

12. since sticking the night sky to the back of my phone

we got matching pop-sockets at Walmart yesterday. yellow and blue -- a sun and a moon -- because your phone case is yellow and mine is, well, blue. i haven't stopped fidgeting with my pop-socket all day: a little piece of outer space at my fingertips. it creaks a bit every time i push it in, and that makes me wonder if the universe makes a sound every time it exhales, too. i wonder if someone out there might be turning the universe around in their hand while they go about their day -- if perhaps i will spend my entire existence in the divots of someone else's palm -- but mostly i'm wondering if you are also fidgeting with your little piece of outer space, and whether you'd like to go stargazing with me some time.

-- Hank Green

they/them

455 Reviews

Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:34 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

18+ for language

13. things that go in my Notes App

west coast
swing

clothes
men's sweater vest
corduroys
mesh top? / m...

things to do
get snacks
candles for the vibes
star gaze!!

assembly notes...
blue binder in
guidance to

lock
right three whole turns,
stop at 39,
turn left one w...

April 28
physic homework
questions
french: review...

youre doing
great. i love you.

I'M NOT A
FUCKING GIRL
STOP

I'm scared how
much I care.

therapy 2.0
attachment style - incredibly
possessive, angry when I s...

10/09/2022
okay, so, worst
possible
outcomes:

06/02/2022
I feel so
incredibly,
achingly alone.

09/10/2021
Why am I like this.

-- Hank Green

they/them

455 Reviews

Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:42 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

14. Twist tie

Low resistance: easy to pull apart, easy to wind up.

-- Hank Green

they/them

455 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2023 12:10 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

15. Rendezvous
The probability of two spacecrafts ever meeting in space approaches zero. In a universe that is accelerating outwards until it inevitably pulls itself into an explosion, you cannot expect to bump into anyone else by chance. If you do, it will be likely moments before nosediving into the depth of a black hole. And perhaps it is poetic to fall into another person when that is the last thing you can do, but it seems gratuitous to have a word just for that, for a meeting at the start of a goodbye.

I'd like to imagine, though, that this does not matter, that every spacecraft has met every other spacecraft in a hangar, before it ever left for its trip to infinity. Perhaps we do not need to spend our days pleading with the universe to meet another one like us; perhaps at some point, before this all began, we all already met each other. We do not begin in isolation -- we begin with a rendezvous.

-- Hank Green

they/them

455 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2023 12:14 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Spoiler! :
@Euphory OMG YOU GEM YOU SINGLE-HANDEDLY MOTIVATED ME TO FINISH NAPO or at least finish my goal of 15 poems.

Seriously, though, thank you for so many lovely compliments. :') I'm so glad you enjoy my poetry!

-- Hank Green

they/them

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon May 01, 2023 8:31 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :
Ah!!!! Big congratulations on completing your goal hatch! You had to go for a mad-dash at the end here too it looks like - but I like the poems it produced! The astronauts log perspective is really compelling and a perfect set-up for the poem. And the theme of the juxtaposition of distance vs closeness in your poems is really intriguing to think about - this line especially makes me think: "i imagine when you are years away i might begin to understand again." The whole astronaut log poem I really really enjoyed reading though.

The casual progression of the notes-app poem is really interesting and creates a jolting reading experience - also this is true for me too that there's like grocery lists next to love poems next to a rant next to a life-epiphany all together - and it feels really organic and yet striking.

poem 15 really captures all those themes of your thread together and i love the scientific / distanced tone of the speaker for something that is still so intimate / emotional. Also the conclusion for that one was perfection: "perhaps at some point, before this all began, we all already met each other. We do not begin in isolation -- we begin with a rendezvous."

Thanks for sharing your poetry! I've enjoyed it reading it as I always do. You are such a talented poet, and I've enjoyed seeing your experimentations with different formatting and voices this NaPo too along with the beautiful, powerful hatch-imagery that I always expect to see. <3
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

No one is perfect; not even your reflection.
— Chalkboard Words