Young Writers Society

<<_ you know it means so much_ >>

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:05 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

[the most human thing to do is to try becoming something other than human]

How is it we are | yet to evolve past victims | and villainous shapes? | it seems even phantasms | are black-and-white in demise .

A false openness,
painted over a bottle --
I detest in you,
sickly sweet honey sunset
shown in low resolution.

Can't you see I'm not
lured by your scrolling banner?
Caged by no colour,
my icons are silent nights:
I am a boat amidst noise.

After bomb-decades,
you still cannot leave me be,
seeming pathetic,
I bleed pity like roses
in barbed wire thorn bushes.

Maybe it's nature | that we only talk static | poison, inner thought | distance is a shapeless star | constellations are pipe-dreams .
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

542 Reviews

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:13 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

[switching vocals: labyrinth life goals]

Modern-day masterpieces monumentalise real friendships. You treat your world like a cobweb would.

They make towers out of small filigree beds, with nodes the hearts of fireflies and lodes of gold in the deepest mines. Constantly clinging to hard edges, hoping to link them together with the thinnest lines of silk.

They are architects of un-nature, assuming we can all drain our ambrosia into the five love languages. Holding on through hard winds, through static shocks of dust and detritus.

And if this is real, then happiness is the hardest thing to build.
(And people say you don't try hard enough.)

Spoiler! :
The two original poems that I made into a contrapuntal:

1. Modern-day masterpieces monumentalise real friendships. They make towers out of small filigree beds, with nodes the hearts of fireflies and lodes of gold in the deepest mines. They are architects of un-nature, assuming we can all drain our ambrosia into the five love languages. And if this is real, then happiness is the hardest thing to build.

2. You treat your world like a cobweb would. Constantly clinging to hard edges, hoping to link them together with the thinnest lines of silk. Holding on through hard winds, through static shocks of dust and detritus. And people say you don't try hard enough.
she/her

542 Reviews

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

[you have a new friend suggestion]

squinting daisy eyes
to see the whimsical click-
-of-a-button friend,
but there's static swimming here
far between two strangers' ears.
she/her

542 Reviews

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:39 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

[Status Updates are false advertising]

Haven't you noticed that you're made of noise?
Haven't you smelt the smoke of dead static?
It's an idol tripping, it's fanatic,
It's the future demolition of poise.
Haven't you noticed that your feelings are toys?
Haven't you knocked hollow-shell didactic?
It's squeezing, shuddering like an attic,
It's huddled around its last flimsy joys.

But we were marketed as an epic,
crimson ribbons strapped us fast to our seats,
pulled so tight they broke our self-reflection.
The rollercoaster ride so fast, so hectic
our hearts skipped and let loose two hundred beats,
our hearts glitched out [sic] on our self-reflection.
she/her

542 Reviews

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:39 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

[blackout]

blackout,
sudden nothing,
severing thin slivers--
realisation of dust motes,
quiet.
she/her

542 Reviews

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:34 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

[online review]

<<you know it means so much>> is a confusing (complex), undecided (even-handed), depiction of an individual (collective) journey into the world of social media (which, if you think about it, is really a bedroom conversation with yourself).

we are not living in a world where one genre (one life) sticks to itself and (remembers only its own memories).

it's to this not-film's (dis)advantage that it whirrs, glitches out, looks through the window (and back in again), is made of a tunnel of endless reflections (each image detaches itself from its origin, hoping to scatter like dandelion seeds).

ultimately, a 0-star rating, a definitely do not see (because maybe you might feel it instead). it (un)communicates the wrong messages (in this day and age), like lightning (and eye contact) almost always comes unwelcome.
she/her

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:18 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

Hey lim! Can’t believe that Napo month’s ending. It just flies by so quickly ajfoiwesjfs. I honestly want an extension sksks. AND WOW you’ve really done it! You wrote wonderful poems every single day of the month, how incredible !!

This’ll probly be our last day of becoming NaPo buddies, but SKSK i’ll probly -- definitely -- go back to your thread once in a while, if you don’t mind. Overall, all of them are written remarkably. I feel quite fortunate to have you as my NaPo buddy AHHH (although I can’t say if it goes both ways but hopefully it does,,,)

status updates are false advertising
Spoiler! :

Just by reading the title, this reminds me so much of “manufactured authenticity in online angst” !!

This pithy poem is practically my favourite ( i say that a lot but it’s definitely my favourite out of the three here). The words you’ve used are quite forceful and candid. I loved “have you noticed that your feelings are toys?” especially. Because it’s glaringly obvious that it’s the trend these days. I watch some who “market” their feelings for empathy or sympathy (we have no right to judge and I’m not saying this person’s irredeemable or unforgivable but yea, this person just came to mind), which usually derails them from understanding why and how they felt that way, whether this is a good thing, and what they could do about it (which you imply in the last stanzas).

This reminds me of this Jane Eyre thesis I randomly read as well. Did you know that Charlotte Bronte’s book wasn’t considered a novel during her time because it was introspective? An introspective or internal-focused book was considered feminine (given that women write in their diaries more than men) and in that highly patriarchal age, it was demeaned. People that time often only consider “vigorous” or plot driven books. And Idk. I just wanted to throw it out there because the moment when I read “but we were marketed as an epic” and “pulled so tight they broke our self-reflection,” just goes to show how something as important as self-reflection was once considered insignificant/unnecessary.

the most human thing to do is to try becoming something other than human
Spoiler! :

This reminds me so much of “turing test responses” because the robot was more human than us lol. You really ace writing Tankas, it's inconceivable. Actually, you thrive in both structured, free-verse and experimental poetry. Please share your tips sksks!!

Oki, focusing on the poem itself:

The reflection of the sun in a bottle is such clever imagery. It suggests how this “you” is screening his/her emotions and we can only see this superficial aspect of him. And the last line could mean how the speaker/narrator would’ve liked him/her more because he/she was, in fact, sweet honey, if he/she opened up and gave this clearer resolution/version of himself/herself.

Meanwhile, what got my attention about the 2nd tanka was the irony. The speaker/narrator claimed that he/she isn’t caged by no colours but his/her icon is night/dark which is monotonic, thus caging him/her. It makes me wonder if this speaker was too caught up about evading this banner that he/she didn’t realise he/she was caught up in another cage.

OH AN OHH i love
distance is a shapeless star | constellations are pipe-dreams .

If distance is a shapeless stars >> and stars make up constellations >> and these constellations are considered pipe dreams, then does that mean that this speaker or narrator, has given up trying to find a solution for the gradual demise of “humanity” that she/he just wants to distance herself/himself from it?

Oh and oop I feel like my interpretation is all over the place oop sorry bout that.

online review
Spoiler! :

Ending this thread with a review of your own poems (collectively) and expressing your confidence about the message that you want to convey in your thread is such a bold and admirable move! I genuinely love everything about this that I don’t know where to start.

The “journey into the world of social media” is equivalent to “a bedroom conversation with yourself” humoured me because it’s so true. Furthermore, I became more aware that the scope of our thoughts is vast or even limitless. How, even in a sedentary and passive state, the human imagination could not be quelled. There’s always a battle, adventure, search, etc. even if the brain has about 2 brain cells left <<<me<<

It felt like you’ve planned out how you were ending this thread ages ago. It was appropriate for the motif as well as showing this progression from processing and translating your thoughts into poetry towards reevaluating them and drawing up this conclusion.

The overall structure of the thread now mirrors your style; you would give us bits of clues and pieces until it gradually comes together and goes full circle. Brilliant!

Ultimately, a 5-star rating, a must-read thread that puts Limsies’ writing skills on a pedestal because she’d explored this theme extensively, incorporated relevant issues, and generated this poetically technological landscape.

Skfoepojfoew it’s a pleasure reading your poems, will definitely keep an eye on your works in the future <3 <3
If you want some sweet reviews to your poems, short stories, and essays, come by Katteelogue.

Have a lovely day❤️

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves