Young Writers Society

2020 NaPo Buddies

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 pm
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

I'm in
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:08 am
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Sign me up! I'd love to do this.
"the wedding was charming if a little gauche; there's only so far new money goes.... it must have been her fault his heart gave out"

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 am
View Likes
kattee says...

Oh my goodness, is it too late for me to sign up? I didn't know there was a need too :(
If you want some sweet reviews to your poems, short stories, and essays, come by Katteelogue.

Have a lovely day❤️

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:35 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Kateex today's the last day to sign up to be paired up with a buddy for NaPo - you can sign up to participate in NaPo though anytime.

Pairings will be out tomorrow - if anyone has decided they don't want to be paired up, please let me know!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Reviews: 1
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:14 pm
CqpM8012 says...

sign me up!!
Medicine, law, business, engineering,
these are noble pursuits, and necessary to sustain life
But poetry, beauty, romance, love
these are what we stay alive for
- Dead poets society

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:52 pm
bpmzcpl says...

Is it too late to sign up?
One day longer,
A little bit stronger

1227 Reviews

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:02 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Not too late, today's the last day to sign up but please make napo threads if you haven't already.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:34 pm
View Likes
bpmzcpl says...

Is it too late to join? I just joined yesterday and didn't know this was a thing until today, but I would really like to participate if I can.
One day longer,
A little bit stronger

1227 Reviews

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

You are right in time! NaPoWriMo starts today, and I'll be posting the buddy pairings tomorrow - more info on napo right here and feel free to post a new thread for your poetry here (you also do not have to write a poem every single day of april to participate, but certainly can if you want!)

Welcome to the site @bpmzcpl !! :)

1227 Reviews

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:30 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hey everyone! Sorry this is a bit late - I've got the list of buddies (so no more signing up now unfortunately). I have made the decision to put everyone in groups of 3, because I noticed we have a lot of first time NaPo goers and felt like that would be the most supportive combination, and in case someone realizes that they thought NaPo was actually in July and they don't want to participate - then no one's left without a buddy!

Reminder that how you support your buddy over NaPo is completely up to you, you can do the activities I suggest, but however you want to be supportive works - there's not a required amount of comments or likes or anything like that. :)

So here are the groups:

@CqpM8012
@Querencia
@hiraeth

@Jaybird
@mckaylaam
@Katteex

@Liminality
@alliyah
@bpmzcpl

@MeherazulAzim16
@Arcticus
@Tuckster

@EverLight
@Lavvie
@bluewaterlily

@fraey
@LadyVendetta
@BluesClues

@Traves
@niteowl
@LZPianoGirl

Yay! My suggestion is if you don't already know your two buddies maybe introduce yourself to them on their wall? or send a PM. Also sharing what your goals are can be helpful at the beginning too, so your buddy knows not to encourage you to write 50 poems if you're only going for 15 :]

Have fun everyone, I'll check back in a couple of days with more ideas on how to support each other - if you have questions, prompts, or want to say hello to your new buddies here - go ahead!

Also if I missed anyone - let me know!

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:05 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hey everyone!

Spoiler! :
@CqpM8012
@Querencia
@hiraeth

@Jaybird
@mckaylaam
@Katteex

@Liminality
@alliyah
@bpmzcpl

@MeherazulAzim16
@Arcticus
@Tuckster

@EverLight
@Lavvie
@bluewaterlily

@fraey
@LadyVendetta
@BluesClues

@Traves
@niteowl
@LZPianoGirl

We're officially a week into NaPoWriMo! Time flies doesn't it? Hopefully you've had some time to read your Buddy's poetry this last week as well as get a poem or 10 written yourself! This week I would challenge you all to identify one of your poetry buddy's writing-strengths! [maybe they're a pro at imagery, or their poems are always really polished, maybe their alliteration is amazing, or their poems have a fabulous flow] Once you've found one of their strengths why not let them know! :)

While criticism can be a good direct way to help someone grow, being able to point out positively where someone's strengths are can sometimes be just as valuable and maybe even more meaningful. Remember you don't have to do this challenge, but it's here for you to give a try if you'd like to!

Also don't forget the Poetry Shout-Out Thread is available to you if you see any poetry you'd like to give a shout-out. Happy writing everyone!

Spoiler! :
If you needed a random poetry prompt today - here's a random one -> write a poem using some of the five senses (smell, taste, sight, touch, sound) but try flip-flopping some of the descriptions. ie. The forest left the taste of fire-crackers and felt like an echo.

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:27 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Greetings Poets!
Spoiler! :
@CqpM8012
@Querencia
@hiraeth

@Jaybird
@mckaylaam
@Katteex

@Liminality
@alliyah
@bpmzcpl

@MeherazulAzim16
@Arcticus
@Tuckster

@EverLight
@Lavvie
@bluewaterlily

@fraey
@LadyVendetta
@BluesClues

@Traves
@niteowl
@LZPianoGirl

How are things going? We've made it two weeks through NaPo and are about half-way through the month! Can you believe it? Good job everyone!

It's around this time that for me inspiration starts to kind of dwindle... this week your buddy-challenge is to write a poem inspired by one of your buddy's poems! (This could be a response poem, something using a theme or a line, or inspired very loosely by their thread, interpret it how you want!) Make sure to give them a tag if you end up doing the challenge. Also if you do this challenge let me know, and I'll send you 200 points.

Keep up the good writing & encouragement - you've got this! :)

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:33 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hey poets

Spoiler! :
@CqpM8012 @Querencia @hiraeth

@MAGEbird @mckaylaam @Katteex

@Liminality @alliyah @bpmzcpl

@MeherazulAzim16 @Arcticus @Tuckster

@EverLight @Lavvie @bluewaterlily

@fraey @LadyVendetta @BluesClues

@Traves @niteowl @LZPianoGirl

We've made it through week 3 and we're on the final stretch, less than 10 days left! Can you believe it?

Congrats to mckaylaam, Liminality, & Magebird who completed the buddy-inspo challenge from last week (I'll be sending points shortly) if I missed anyone who completed this challenge please let me know in this thread or in a PM.

This week, your challenge is to just keep encouraging your buddy. If they haven't posted in awhile, check in to see how their goals are going or if they need a poetry-prompt. We posted a few prompts over in the latest Squills Edition if you need help with inspo. And if your buddies are still rocking it hop over to their thread and cheer them on.

Let's do this!

There’s always a story. It’s all stories, really. The sun coming up every day is a story. Everything’s got a story in it. Change the story, change the world.
— Terry Pratchett