Young Writers Society

the life of an american teenager

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:17 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Edit: As of December 22nd, 2020, all of the poems in this thread have been edited out. They all appear in a poetry book I'm self-publishing, so I thought it would be best to take them down from the site. Thank you to everyone who read the poems as they came out, and I hope you enjoy any future poems I write for future NaPo challenges!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:45 pm
View Likes
mckaylaam says...

Spoiler! :
"sanctuary" is such a relatable poem for me, especially during this time. I used to have a really hard time learning how to deal with noises that bothered me, much like the ones described in your last stanza, and it would often be hard for me to focus because all I could think about was how frustrated I felt. Now, I feel like I'm struggling with trying to focus on other things despite all the voices saying that our "world is falling apart" like you mentioned in the second stanza.

Lovely writing, keep up the great work and I hope you're doing well!

--
"And I love the thought of being with you,
or maybe it's the thought of not being so alone."

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:58 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I love happily ever after so much! Sisyphus made me laugh (alas, too relateable).

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hey Jaybird, I've been meaning to comment - I'm enjoying how you're able to capture some of the poetic-ness of everyday life & writing. You have a consistent sounding poetic voice that comes across as authentic. I enjoyed reading a lot of these, but one of the ones that struck me the most was the one about overused tropes, that feeling of "THROW me in jail - sorry that I'm a fan of something considered "cliche" or "unoriginal"" - I absolutely relate to that in my own writing, of trying to balance being authentic to my experience while also feeling pressure to write in a way that's less "cliche"/"overused". That one just super-resonated with me. Good luck the rest of the month, you're doing great! <3
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:19 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@mckaylaam: Thanks! I have been doing pretty well, but what I described in sanctuary is definitely one of the few problems I have right now. I'm sorry that you can relate to it, but I also feel like it's a problem a lot of us have during quarantine right now.

@BluesClues: Thanks! (And, for once, I got your username right when tagging you. :P)

@alliyah: Thanks! It's interesting that you applied it to your own writing - I was originally thinking about how it applies to "cliche" shows, but I definitely feel like it applies in that way, too.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:30 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Edit: As of December 22nd, 2020, all of the poems in this thread have been edited out. They all appear in a poetry book I'm self-publishing, so I thought it would be best to take them down from the site. Thank you to everyone who read the poems as they came out, and I hope you enjoy any future poems I write for future NaPo challenges!
mage

queer and here.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:26 am
View Likes
mckaylaam says...

Spoiler! :
Jay, I know I've probably said this what seems like a million times already, but "an atheist's easter" has by far been the poem that I feel I can relate too the most. Every stanza felt like something I could have personally written about myself, so the entire piece really resonates with me. The last stanza hits hard, because while you can take it in a literal sense, the metaphor of taking away the chocolate and missing Easter feels like something that can apply to so many other things in life today. Thank you for such a lovely poem.

--
"And I love the thought of being with you,
or maybe it's the thought of not being so alone."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:07 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
You have no idea how much I appreciate your comment, @mckaylaam! I'm always nervous when I post anything about religion - I don't believe in any specific religion myself, but I never want to come across as disrespectful. I'm glad that it hasn't, and I'm glad that you feel the same way as me.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

mage

queer and here.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:16 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

Spoiler! :
I love the positive theme of Spring Vortex! This is refreshing to read because we are all in quarantine right now so instead of looking at the bad side, we could focus on the good side instead (which is the more time to spend with the people dear to us).

The setting of the poem is also relatable haha. It's been really strange in my country because it's the summer season, but there's been recent rains haha (actually it's really creepy because there's supposed to be no rain at all).
If you want some sweet reviews to your poems, short stories, and essays, come by Katteelogue.

Have a lovely day❤️

155 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 155
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:09 pm
View Likes
Arcticus says...

I love the remarkable coziness that spring vortex has between its lines. A storm outside, home inside. There's comfort in that contrast, and you bring it out so effortlessly.
You either worship something higher than yourself or end up worshiping yourself

Naturally Tipsy ©

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:11 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@Katteex and @Arcticus, I'm glad you liked my poem! :)
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:11 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:38 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:46 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

mage

queer and here.

You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World