z

Young Writers Society

Decided (Thelostone and TaylorLove)

Reviews: 1
Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:46 pm
TaylorLove says...

Kat

I woke up the next morning and there was a huge weight on my chest. It was like I was in a cage and could not escapes. I was limp and lifeless, which was completely opposite from how I was normally. Theo woke me up. His voice was not harsh, it was more like he was trying not to be too much of anything.

I let my hand slip out of his and get up, without responding to him. I wanted so badly to kiss him, embracing him, something but me cage was holding back. I got my clothes and walked into the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. Why am I making this so hard for myself? I am hurting myself.

After getting dressed and eating a little, we headed to the base. Derek and Koda were talking about something. Kai was teaching some girls how to fight. Koda and Derek saw us. Usually when Theo and I fought, I would try to make him jealous, but today I just could not even do anything nor did I want to.

I walked over to a station where we would throw knives. I did not know if I had the strength to do anything else, as dramatic as that sounded. But honestly, I don't feel like doing anything at all. I did not have a drive in my at all.

Theo grabbed a knife and chucked it at the dummy. He sliced its shoulder, but that was it. The knife did not stick. I sighed and threw the knife, I did not have enough power to make it stick.

I heard a laugh behind me and I turned around. Koda put a hand on Theo's back and smiled. "This might be the first thing your wife is not good at." He said. "Hey Kat." He smiles.

"Hi." I force a smile.

He gives me a look seeing a lack of energy and motivation to speak. "You alright?"

I nod. "Yeah, I am just a little tired." Theo caught my eye and gave me another look. I gave him a sad smiled and looked away. I could hear him sigh and throw another knife. I was truly not trying to make him mad.

The group was gathered because Derek needed to talk. "Alright guys, we are planning an attack soon. We need everyone to be on there A game. We have grown in numbers and we feel like we are ready to attack." He says. "We can not let children starve anymore. It is not just about us anymore."

Theo and I looked at each other. Everyone was not starving. It was just the people here. "Theo, I think we should tell them about what happened last night."

"What that we went to your parents house and got into it?" He asked.

I sigh. "Please don't. I mean that my parents are not being rationed and we have probably fifteen pounds because we don't have enough."
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

Reviews: 4
Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:01 pm
thelostone says...

Theo

"Do you really think they give a shit that your parents are getting more rations than us?" I hissed. "Practically everyone is getting more than we are, Kat. There are bigger things at hand."

Anger flashed across her face and she raised her hand as if to hit me but it fell limply at her side. She sighed, sad and defeated. I felt a twinge of guilt for snapping at her but I didn't act on it.

"Tomorrow, we end this." Derek shouted from the platform. "Tomorrow, there will be no more service."

"When we get to the building tomorrow, we'll split into two groups. One group will put on those-" Kai pointed to a pile of neatly folded white uniforms. "We snatched them from a supply truck a few weeks ago. They're exact replicas of The Service uniforms, however in order to get through the doors you'll need IDs. To get those you'll use these." She held up two small syringes filled with a dark amber liquid. "They're powerful sedatives but must be administered intravenously which means directly in the vein. Once you've drugged whoever and taken their badge, you need to hide the bodies. There's a storage room in the basement according to the floor plan. Hide them there. We'll have roughly three hours before the sedatives wear off. By then we should be in full fledged attack mode. Once you've got the IDs and the bodies are hidden, unlock the basement door and group two will come into play. Group two will be standing by with the fire arms. After we're in, I want every single one of the service members dead. We will not stop until The Service is demolished. Understood?"

A roar of cheers erupted through the crowd. After we settled, Derek split us up into groups. He handed Kat a white uniform and shoved a gun at me.

"Group one-" He pointed at Kat, "Group two." He pointed at me. Kat and I glanced at each other but then she turned away. I didn't like the thought of us being in separate groups. She could get hurt and I wasn't about to let that happen. "Meet tomorrow behind the local store. The one on Fifth Avenue. You're all dismissed." Derek began to walk away but I grabbed his arm.

"Look, do you mind if I switch groups?" I asked, lowering my voice. "I don't think it'd be that big of a-"

"No." He said sternly. "You're more suited for group two, firearms. We need you in group two."

"I don't want Kat getting hurt-"

"She won't." He said, pulling his arm out of my grasp and walking away. "I'll be with her."

"Great, that reassures me." I mumbled sarcastically.

The ride home was silent. Neither me or Kat talked but I could feel thousands of unsaid words crowding the air around us.

"I can't keep doing this, Theo." She said finally when we got home.

"I know." I murmured.

"No, I don't think you do." Kat turned around, massaging her temples. "You don't know what it's like to go to sleep and wake up to the person who you think you might love just to have them throw it in your face saying that it wouldn't be safe to love each other. Don't you think I get that, Theo? I understand, I know the risks and for once I'm willing to take them but for some reason you're not. We keep going back and forth, going to bed in love and waking up pretending we're not. I know you're scared and so am I but honestly, I think it's too late. We're already too invested in each other why are we telling ourselves otherwise?" She took a deep breath and softened her voice. "If something does happen tomorrow, won't you wish we had used the time we had to love without these stupid barriers we keep putting up?" Her hands sat on my chest and she looked up at me, searching my eyes for any sign of a reaction.

"You say you know the risks," I started, taking her hands in mine. "But I don't think you do. I watched them murder my sister and I know they will kill your family before they kill you. Loving me just gives them another person to hold against you."

Kat withdrew her hands and held them close to her as if my words had burned them. "Do you realize how selfish you sound? Forcing yourself not to love me so that they can't kill you to get to me?" She blinked away the tears and tried to punch me but I caught her wrist.

"Selfish? Kat, this is the most selfless I have ever been." I said. "And tomorrow, I will put your life before mine. I will make sure you get out of there alive."

Shock and confusion washed over her face and a tear escaped, sliding down her cheek. "Are you planning on dying tomorrow? For me?"

"I plan on keeping you safe and making sure you and your family get through this alive. I plan on putting you and your family's lives ahead of mine." I let go of her wrist and it fell limply to her side. "I'm not scared of dying. I will do whatever it takes. The Service isn't perfect, Kat. We both know that. You'll find someone else to love when this is over and they won't be afraid to love you back."

"Theo-"

"I'll see you tomorrow." I kissed her forehead and walked quickly out of the house before her calls dragged me back in.

The next morning, I woke up on the cold floor where the resistance had been meeting for the past month. Only a couple people were there, some practicing weaponry and others just wandering. I spotted the stack of white uniforms and grabbed one before anyone could see.

I sprinted down to the local store on fifth avenue and it didn't take long for the rest of the resistance to show up. I pulled the white uniform on and kept my eye out for Kat. Derek and Kai took charge of their groups and everyone in the uniforms headed towards the service building. Out of the corner of my eye I found her. Lurking in the back of the crowd, dark hair pulled up in a sleek ponytail, gaze sharp and focused. I breathed a sigh of relief and followed the crowd. We dispersed around the building as we each targeted a guard. The one I chose was standing outside around the back. I carefully snuck up behind her and stuck the syringe into her neck. Before she could shout, she was unconscious and on the ground.

I grabbed her ID and shoved it in my pocket. A funny strangled noise came from a few feet away so I went to investigate it. When I turned the corner, Kat was wrestling a guard, trying to get the syringe into his skin.

"Dumb bitch," He growled. "I'll have you and your entire family dead for this." He pinned her down and knocked the shot out of her hand. He stepped on her wrist and she let out a small whimper then promptly spit in his face.

"No good piece of shit." She smirked back. He raised his hand to hit her but I rammed into his side, knocking him off of her. She gasped but quickly picked up the syringe.

"Don't call her a bitch." I hissed, bringing my knee up into his crotch. As he doubled over in pain, Kat stuck the needle in his neck and injected the amber liquid. He fell to the ground and we both stood there, panting for a moment.

"What are you doing here?" She said, grabbing his ID. "I thought you were in the other group."

"I was." I traded her IDs. "But like I told you last night, I'm going to make sure you're safe."

"I don't need help," She groaned as she picked up his feet and started dragging him back around the corner to where the girl I took out was still on the ground. "I was handling it fine."

"Clearly." I rolled my eyes and picked up the guy by his arms and helped her shove his body into the storage room along with the girl I took. The storage room was filled with bodies of guards. Kat's entanglement with the guard cost us time. "Do you think they've started without us?"

"I don't know." She said, keeping her voice level. She motioned towards the stairs and I pushed her back behind me. "God fucking dammit, Theo."

"Shut up." I whispered, pulling a pistol out of the strap around my waist. I slowly opened the door and looked around, confused. It looked like we had walked into a zoo. Cells lined the walls and a single doctor's chair sat in the middle of the room.

"What is this?" Kat mumured, looking around.

"Kat?" A small voice came from one of the cells. "Kat, is that you?"

The sound of the voice registered in Kat's mind and the gun she was holding clattered to the ground. "Oh my god." She ran up to the cells and fumbled with the locks. "Mark? Mark, where are you? Holy fuck. Mark? Are you okay?"
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:26 am
TaylorLove says...

Kat

"Are you okay?" I asked, the worry in my voice making me choak on my word.

My reached out of the cell and took my hand. "Get out of here." He said, his voice weak.

"I am not going to do that. Now tell me what the fuck is going on." I said.

"They are doing tests on us and starving us to try to figure out why we rebeled. They are killing all the rebels off and trying to prevent new ones." He said. "Now you have to leave."

Theo grabbed my arm and began to pull me. I swatted him away. "Kat we have to go." He said.

"I am not leaving without him." I said to him. "You said you were going to keep my family safe to. Like it or not, he is my family."

"I am going to keep you safe first." He said. All of a sudden, light flooded into the room and so did men in white uniforms. These were not our guys and they were attacking us. Theo was about to shoot them, but they knocked it out of his hand. One of them grabbed me about the waist and I began to scream.

Theo got out of their gripped and tried to grab me. I reached out my hand to him and he clasped on to me. They ripped him away from me and out hands fell apart. "No, let me go! Theo!" I was screaming for me.

I squirmed in the mans arm, refusing to give into them. I see them inject something into Theo's arm and he falls limp onto the ground. I let out a blood boiling scream. They throw me into the cell and lock it up. "I am never going to stop fighting you as long as I live."

"I can promise you that your life will not go on much longer." The man says. They leave the room and close the door. I stand up and throw myself at the cell door, trying to get it to give way. Despite the pain in my shoulder, I did not stop.

"Kat, stop." A voice said. I was said to hear that it was no Theo's, but Marks. What if the injection killed him.

I drop to the floor at the thought of him being dead. "Oh, my god." I whiper. "Mark is he breathing?" I ask.

"What?" he asks.

"Fuck Mark!" I scream. "Is he fucking breathing?" I yell.

"I-I don't know Kat." He said.

I pound my fists on the floor, breaking into a silent sob. I can't do this without him, I can't do anything without him.
-Winnie the Pooh

Mon May 12, 2014 12:24 am
thelostone says...

Theo

Slowly my consciousness drifted back and the black spots faded. When I opened my eyes Kat was looking down at me, cradling my head in her lap. Through her tears, she smiled and rubbed my cheeks with her thumbs. Her hair was matted to her damp cheeks and purple bruises were scattered across her skin.

"I thought I lost you." She whispered. "I thought you were dead. The others did, too. They told me that if you didn't wake up today they would burn you with the other bodies. I screamed until they let me say goodbye to you."

I turned my head slightly and kissed her fingertips. "No goodbyes today." Kat closed her eyes and a couple more tears streamed down her face. "What's wrong? How long have I been out?"

"Almost a full day." She bit back on her lip before continuing. "I think it might be best if they thought you were still dead."

"Kat-" I tried to sit up but my head throbbed and Kat gently rested my head on her knees again.

"They have to carry you downstairs to get to the furnace. Once they close the door, you could take them, you could escape."

"I'm not leaving you, Kat." I mumbled. "That's not an option."

"You could get help. It would get us out of here faster." She said.

I shook my head. "No."

"I don't know what to do, Theo." She croaked. "We don't have much time, they're going to come back. Koda's dead and Mark is close to-"

"Dead? They killed them? Kat, what's been going on?" I sat up and leaned up against the wall. Kat sat next to me and took my hand in hers. Small black numbers on the inside of her arm caught my eye. "What is this?"

"They're using us, Theo." She whispered hoarsely. "To test out serums. They've marked all of us. This is my number." She traced the 0659 then pointed to my arm. "You've got one too. I've heard the white coats talking and they're worried. The service managed to piss off Asia and out army isn't big enough. They're trying to make us into super soldiers but the serums aren't working. Mark has rashes all up his arms and has trouble breathing, the white coats are just waiting for him to die now. Koda didn't even make it through the night. His screams kept me up. They said he showed 'promising results'. His immune system didn't fight it. The problem is, the serum makes your muscles grow rapidly but your heart isn't strong enough to pump enough blood. It just gives up."

"And you?" I asked. "Did they test anything on you?"

She shook her head. "No, but I think I'm next. I've fought them every time they came over here. I actually broke one of their jaws. They usually move on to a weaker person but they're dying off and I'm the only decent one left."

I lightly kissed one of the bruises on her cheek. "I'm not going to let them touch you."

The sound of a lock being opened made Kat jump. "They're here. They're back."

"It's okay." I whispered. I wanted to believe my own words with all my heart but I couldn't.

Men in white jackets flooded the room. "Subject 0659." One of them shouted.

"I knew it." She whispered then kissed me quickly. "It's okay, you don't need to protect me. I'm not scared of dying."

"You're not going to die." I hissed and stood up.

"Take me!" I yelled and looked down at the number on my arm. "0438. Use me."

A white coat strutted over and smirked. "0438, you were supposed to be dead. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but 0659 has been chosen specifically. Don't worry, we'll get to you eventually."

"Bastard." I spat. He wiped it off his cheek and raised his hand to hit me but lowered it, smirking.

"I'm going to make sure your girlfriend is in for a hell of a night." He grinned sickly. "And you're going to watch."

Mon May 12, 2014 1:36 am
TaylorLove says...

Kat

He was about to open the door, so I was about to throw myself at him and knock out. Before he did, he looked out at me. "Oh I almost forgot." He said. He called out other guards to help, considering how I almost killed someone yesterday. More guards did not stop me though, I still threw myself at the guards. I refused to go down with out a fight.

These men were a lot stronger though. One of them puched my hard in the stomach, causing the air in my lungs to escape quickly. I knee him hard and sent him to the ground.

When I heard Theo moan, I whril around and see him on the ground. I scream and run to him. The white coats pushed me on the ground and dragged me into the room. I yelled with everything I had in me and tried to shake myself out of their grasp, but I failed. They threw me into a chair and strapped me in tightly. I continue to scream until they put tape over my mouth.

Theo was screaming, trying to help me, but he could not get to me. The head doctor came close to me with a huge needle. I tried so hard to fight it, but the pain shot through my neck and I let out a blood renching scream which was muffles my the tape over my mouth. The last thing I saw was the sad look on Theo's face right before I blacked out.
--

My eyes slowly opened and I was in Theo's lap with my head on his shoulder. "I think our roles were just reversed." He whispered in my ear. I wrap my arms around his chest and close my eyes. "I am so sorry I could not help you Kat." He told me.

I shake my head. "It is not your fault. They were bound to get to me anyway. Like you said a while ago, people are going to die. It just looks like it is going to be me." I said. I tried to hold back my emotions because I just wanted to be with Theo right now if I was going to die.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, stroaking my face.

I thought about it and I honestly did not was not feeling as bad as I thought I was going to feel. "I kinda feel like I am going to be sick and my neck hurts, other than that I feel fine.

The door open again and they come back. I let out a little cry. "Well here we go again." I mummble. I get up a repeat this process out fighting the men. I already felt stronger but there were more men this time and I did not have Theo helping me.

They threw me into the floor in a 'training center.' I stood up and looked about.

"Get up and we are going to time you in a course." Someone said.

"No." I spat.

"I don't think you understand how this works. Do when we say or we will kill your boyfriend and your brother right now." He said.

My heart jumped and I swore. I looked at the training course and took off. Around the first part I was not trying, but then an idea ran through my head. If this stuff works, I can use it to my advantage and get free. I started to try and come to find out that it does work on me. I am still not fast, but I am 'improved.' They write down things on their clip board and begin to take me back to the cell. Right when they open the door I make eye contact with Theo and he gave me a look. I could tell that he knew that I was about to do something stupid. "Kat..." He said, but it was too late. Right when he said my name, hell was unleashed.
-Winnie the Pooh

Sun May 18, 2014 5:25 pm
thelostone says...

Theo

Her name barely passed my lips before she whipped around and strangled one of the white coats. He fought back and managed to get in a few punches to her gut but was clearly losing. Kat had her hands wrapped around his neck and smashed him against the wall. The other white coat immediately pulled out a gun and instead of aiming it at her, he held it to my head.

"Stop!" He shrieked then lowered his voice. "Or I'll kill him."

Kat fleetingly looked between me and the gun in the white coat's trembling hand. Sweat was beading on his forehead but kept the barrel of the gun pressed to my temple. She took a deep breath and stepped away from the man, backing into the cell. The other white coat kept the gun aimed at my head while he picked his co-worker up and dragged him out, wheezing.

"You've just earned you and your boyfriend a week of no food." He smiled through the bars.

"He's my husband, asshole." Kat spat back. The white coat left and the room was empty. She closed her eyes and sighed. "Fuck." She sat next to me and slouched against the wall. "I'm sorry, that was stupid. I should've known.."

"It's alright," I took her hand in mine. "We can go without food. We're strong. I mean look at you, you almost just killed a man!" A small blush crept onto her cheeks and she leaned her head on my shoulder.

"I just thought I could get us out of here before..."

Kat's sentence drifted off so I finished it for her. "Before it's my turn to get injected." We sat in silence for a moment before I spoke again. "I think I'll be next."

"I have hope." She whispered, placing her lips softly on my neck. "I'm hopeful you'll be alright." Kat kissed the spot right beneath my ear then laid her head back on my shoulder. "You're stronger than I am. I seem to be alright, I'm sure you will be too. We just have to have hope."

"What about your brother?" I asked quietly. "Do you have hope for him, too? Kat, there's only so much hope one can have before it becomes unrealistic. He doesn't have much time left. If you're right and I'm not effected by the serum, all three of us can get out of here, but if you're wrong you need to take Mark."

"Theo-"

"You can take out enough white coats to get out of the building but you won't be able to take both of us. You need to take Mark and go find your family and then you need to leave, get past the fences. There's a section of fence in the back corner of the city, it's hardly ever turned on. That's where the meadow is, where I took Ellie. You need to take your family and leave."

"No." She sat up and shook her head. "No, I'm not going to leave you." Tears welled up in her eyes and I felt guilty for putting them there. "You're going to be okay. We both are and we'll all get out of here. We just have to have hope."

I gave her a weak smile and a small kiss then laid down on the floor. Kat snuggled up next to me and I kissed her forehead. "We might need hope, but like I said, too much is unrealistic and will just end up hurting you. Everything is poisonous, only the dose determines."

"When did you become so philosophical?" She whispered, closing her eyes.

I was woken up by a pair of rough hands pulling me from Kat. I knew I was going to be next, I just didn't know it would be tonight. Although I probably could've taken him, I didn't resist the white coat. Kat on the other hand, did. She screamed and kicked and spat but there was no way she was getting out of the cell.

"It's okay!" I yelled. "Kat, I'll be okay."

Her screams died down as she watched them strap me to the chair. Her cheeks glistened with tears and I kept her gaze, not wanting to look at the syringe in the white coat's hand. I tried to have hope, I wanted to have hope, but I couldn't. The odds were too bad. I did, however, have faith in Kat. I had faith she could escape and faith she'd find happiness outside the fences with someone else.

The serum burned through my veins. I tried to keep from crying out because I knew it would only make Kat worry but the pain was so excruciating that at one point, I blacked out.

This time when I woke up, I was back in the cell with Kat. She was curled up in the corner, her hair was matted to her damp cheeks.

"Kat," I groaned and tried to sit up but more pain coursed through my body and I fell back.

"You were right." She sobbed. "I had too much hope and now it's taunting me."

My stomach churned and I doubled over, vomiting onto the floor. Specks of red tainted it. When I brought my hand to my mouth, I noticed an angry red rash covering most of my hand.

"I thought at first you were fine but then a day passed and you didn't wake up." She crawled over to me.

"A day?"

"Two, actually." She said. "It's been two days. I saw the rash first and I didn't think much of it. If that was all you had then you were lucky, but then you started having hot sweats and you were feverish for a while." She held her palm to my forehead. "You still kind of are."

"Kat, I'm going to get worse. You need to leave soon before Mark dies. Get him out of here. You can do it, I know you can." I mumbled. I began to tremble with fatigue and Kat grasped my hand.

"I can't leave you."

"Yes you can." I whispered. "You have to."

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:07 pm
thelostone says...

Theo

Three days went by and my health was decreasing fast. I lost almost all my strength, I couldn't keep anything down, and painful blisters covered my arms. I reeked of death and even Kat couldn't deny it.

"You need to leave." I murmured, my head on her lap one night. "And you need to do it fast. They're going to take you away from me anyway, you're the only one who has survived the injection. Mark is worse than I am, he doesn't have much time left. You need to escape and find him a doctor."

Tears were brimming in Kat's eyes as she stroked my hair. "I can't leave you."

"You don't have a choice." I whispered. "Be reasonable, Kat." My insides churned and I instantly shot up and crawled away from Kat, retching up a mixture of blood and the little bit of food Kat had managed to get me to eat. Shaking, I wiped my mouth and collapsed on the floor inches from the puddle of sick. "F-find your f-family." I groaned as Kat dragged me over to the other side. "Then l-leave." She said something because her mouth moved but I blacked out before I could make sense of it.

When I came to, Kat was silently sobbing next to me. I reached out to place my hand on hers. I had no strength left to hold it. She lifted her face from her knees and forced a smile.

"You're right." She murmured. "I have to go. Tonight." Tears fell down her streaked cheeks. "I really don't want to leave you. I can't do this alone."

"You won't be alone. I'll always be with you, Kaitlin." I watched as she bit her quivering lip and closed her eyes. "I didn't think it was possible, but the service was right. You're a pain in the ass but I've never loved anyone more than I love you." I brought her hand to my lips and she lied down next to me. She snuggled into my chest one last time.

"I love you too." She whispered. "So, so much, Theo."

I closed my eyes, ignored the dull aching pain all throughout my body and cherished the last moment I'd have with her.

When I woke up again, Kat kissed me. I could taste the salt from her tears. "Goodbye, Theo. I love you so much."

"I love you more." I said. "Be careful. Find your family. Be happy." A small smile crawled across my face and Kat's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "I'll be with my sister soon."

She squeezed my hand and said through the tears, "you can let go now." I closed my eyes and imagined a world where Kat and I could stay together. I pictured us on the porch watching our little kids play in the backyard. I concentrated on this fantasy, the warmth of her hand in mine and finally succumbed to the poisonous serum.

Every empire tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires.
— Edward Said