z

Young Writers Society

Through Thick and Thin (BlimeyLimey217 and Thelostone)

Reviews: 4
Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 am
thelostone says...

Isaac

I spent the rest of the day with Mom helping to close down the camp for the season. Before I knew it, six o'clock rolled by and campers were already beginning to leave.

"Mom, I'll be right back!" I yelled at Mom who was throwing the last load of sheets in the dryer. "I have to say goodbye." I ran out of the cabin before she could say anything back. I got to the entrance to the camp just in time. I spotted Skyler's chocolate brown hair and rushed over to the bench where she was sitting. I snuck up behind her and covered her eyes with my hands. She instantly ripped them away and shot up from the bench.

"Oh." She breathed. "It's just you."

"Sorry to disappoint." I laughed and sat down. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine." She nodded her head fast then plopped down next to me. "And I didn't mean it like that. I'm always happy to see you."

"I know, I was kidding." I smiled and poked her gently. "Your ride isn't here yet?"

"Nope." She sighed and turned towards me. "But guess what?"

"Huh?"

"If I'm lucky I might be able to convince my mom to sign me up for advanced piano lessons when I get back!" Her emerald eyes glistened as she talked, pulling me in.

"Yeah? I like piano music." I looked out to the dirt road where multiple cars were pulling up to take campers home. "Can't play it, but love how it sounds. We have one at my dad's house but most of the time it just sits there because no one plays it. I've tried before to no avail."

"Maybe, if you're lucky, I'll teach you a little when we have our movie, Oreo, and berry pie day." She winked before flashing her million watt smile. She could probably get anything she wanted with that smile and people would gladly give it to her. She pointed to a car that had pulled up and her grin shrank. "That's my ride." She stood up and so did I. "Well, thanks for having quick reflexes and not hitting me with your truck. Also, thanks for everything after that."

"Dammit, I should've hit you with a truck earlier so we could've had more time." I frowned. "I really hope we can have that movie, Oreo, pie, and piano day. I consider myself lucky for meeting you." She hugged me and for the first time she didn't seem jittery. "I hope you get your lessons."

"I hope you get the chance to open the diner again." She said. When we broke apart I immediately wanted her back in my arms but I just waved and watched her get into the car. As soon as her car left the lot I pulled out my phone and called her. "Isaac?" She laughed when she answered.

"You told me to call you." I said. I could practically hear her smile through the phone.

"I meant when I got home, silly."

"I didn't want to wait that long." I admitted.

"Uno momento Mama!" She hushed someone in the background. "I have to go. I'll call you the minute I get home."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Okay, don't forget." I reminded her.

"I won't."

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Okay. I guess I should hang up now." I groaned. "Bye, Skyler."

"Bye, Isaac."

With a click of a button her voice was gone. I shoved my phone back in my pocket and sat back on the bench.

"Isaac!" Mom called from the cabin. "Are you packed and ready to go to your fathers? We're going to leave in a few."

"Yep." I yelled back. I had already put my bags in the truck. A couple minutes later the camp was deserted and Mom ushered me into the truck. I stared out the window at the camp until it was totally out of view. All I wanted was to go back and be with Skyler again but Mom kept driving further from where I wanted to be and closer to my own hell on earth: dad's house
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:20 am
strawberrybeaches217 says...

Skyler:

When I was driving away, all I could think about was Isaac. I made sure the last thing I saw at camp was Isaac. The last voice I heard was Isaac's, and now since he called, the sweet voice still rang in my mind. I snuggled myself up with my grandpa's teddy bear and wrapped myself up in my favorite, fuzzy blanket. Both of the kids were fast asleep in their carseats next to me. In ten hours, I'd be home. In ten hours, I'd call Isaac. I grinned as I amused myself with my phone. I finally got signal and messages were poring in. Two weeks without a phone is just to much!

"Hey Kitten! I love you! Hope you're doing better." I smiled at my "baby buffalo" brother's text and then replied quickly and briefly about what had happened since we had last talked.

I continued looking at more, unimportant texts from random school people. None interested me, so I put my phone down. I sighed and looked up at the front seat. My mom, too, was already asleep and my dad had the radio turned up way too loud to keep himself awake. "I can drive whenever you want, Dad!" I insisted.

"You're not too tired?" He sounded shocked.

"Not at all!" I smiled as he pulled over.

"Be my guest!" he hopped into the back seat, and I took my place at the wheel. As soon as he was asleep I dialed Nate on the phone.

We talked for three hours until he realized he had a comprehensive final exam the next day. I asked for advice about Isaac and he simply said that if I trust him, then I'm probably right to. I respect Nate's judgement, but for some reason I didn't trust myself. Just seven hours left to go, I told myself.

I turned on the radio and rolled down the windows and relaxed, hoping it wouldn't be too long of a drive.

By the time we arrived home it was past one in the morning and I was still driving. My mom had scheduled my first piano lesson for the next day with a Russian lady named Ana. I was nervous. I woke up my parents and my siblings. We agreed to unpack the car in the morning and all retired to our rooms. I tossed and turned in my bed and then remembered I was supposed to call Isaac!

I dialed his number quickly, hoping I wasn't waking him up. "Hello?" He answered brightly. He didn't sound the least bit tired.

"You're not sleeping?" I asked groggily.

"No, but you sound exhausted. Why are you calling me? You should be sleeping!" He sounded way to energetic. i laughed as he continued talking.

"I drove all the way home..What are you doing up so late?"

"I'm driving to my dad's house. I just stopped to get a coffee. My stepdad and mom drove halfway with me, but now I'm on my own."

"Awe! Have fun!" I said sarcastically. "Can I call you tomorrow night? I'm really tired." I yawned as I spoke. "And my mom had the brilliant idea of having a piano lesson tomorrow."

"Oh of course!" He said sincerely. "And don't be worried! You'll do amazing!" He assured me.

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Good night."

"Sweet dreams."

I blew a silent kiss through the phone, smiled and hung up. I couldn't wait to talk to him tomorrow.
"Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
O
“Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it.”

~used to be blimeylimey217

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:20 pm
thelostone says...

Isaac

I pulled into Dad's driveway around one in the morning. Surprisingly, I wasn't that tired. Maybe it was the five coffee's I had within the past two hours, or maybe I was afraid I'd go to sleep just to wake up and find it was all some big dream. A big, seemingly perfect dream.

I punched in the garage code and headed inside. I walked in and the familiar smell of cigars ran through the house. I immediately ran towards the fridge, dropping my bags to the floor.

"Nice to see you're back." Dad clapped my back and I almost jumped into his arms.

"Jesus Christ, Dad!" I ran my fingers through my hair and shut the fridge. "You scared me. What are you doing up anyways?"

"I wanted to welcome you back. It's been a while. Ana waited too, but it got late." He offered me a smile but I just nodded instead returning it. "And you didn't text or call me saying you'd be later than expected."

"Sorry. Phone died." I lied. I looked down a his hand which was now sitting on my shoulder. I followed the deep cracks that split his fingertips with my eyes. He must've thought I wanted him to stop touching me, which wasn't entirely true, because he removed his hand with a big sigh.

"Good to have you home." He pressed his lips together and when he turned to leave, he stopped as if he was expecting me to say something else, but I didn't so he nodded his head once and went upstairs. The word home struck me. I've never considered this my home. A house, maybe, but never a home. Suddenly, I felt exhausted. Like that conversation with my dad had drained everything from me. I picked up my bags and trudged up to my room. It smelled less like Dad's cigars and more like dust and stale air. I threw my stuff on the floor and opened the dresser drawers. Two of Dad's old shirts and a pair of my sweats I must've left sat in the otherwise empty drawer. I promptly closed it and crawled into the bed. It felt like a hotel bed, stiff and uncomfortable. The clock next to the bed read 1:37 AM so I rolled over and gave into my sleepiness.

When I finally woke up in the morning the clock's digital red numbers glared at me. 11:04 AM. I dug my fists into my eyes and, with a lot of groaning and stretching, I rolled out of bed. I threw on the light gray sweats in the drawer and slowly made my way downstairs. From downstairs, the piano music floated up to the top of the stairs where it greeted me on my way to the kitchen. My eyes were swollen from the lack of sleep and my vision was slightly blurred, but I still made it to the kitchen. I grabbed a glass and filled it with orange juice when the song changed. I recognized the soft and slow notes of Hallelujah as they drifted into the kitchen from the front room. I drank my juice and rubbed my eyes. Ana hardly plays anymore. If it's not her then who is it? I peered around the corner and tip toed to the front room where the grand piano is. I knew it was a girl, I could tell. When I tried to get closer one of the floorboards beneath my feet squeaked and the music stopped. She turned around and I squinted to make sure I was actually seeing what I was seeing.

"Skyler?" I mumbled. She jumped off of the bench and flung herself into my arms. Before I could say anything else her lips were against mine and I grinned into the kiss. "What are you doing here?"

"I can't believe you're here." She whispered between kisses.

"I can't believe you're here!" I laughed.

"Vhat are you doeeing?" Ana snapped and we instantly shot apart. I stepped in front of Skyler who turned beet red.

"Good morning?" I said, trying hard not to laugh. Her light brown hair was tied back in a tight bun and I was sure it was giving her a headache.

"Thees ees not funny, Iseek." Ana scolded me and whacked my head with the sheet music she was holding. "You!" She grabbed Skyler's arm and yanked her out from behind me. "You are here for museek. Not boy."

"My fault, Ana." I sighed. "I'll leave."

52 Reviews

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 pm

"No!" I blurted out. Isaac turned around, shocked, and Ana glowered fiercely at me. I scolded myself inwardly. I didn't ever stand up for anything. What the heck was I doing? "I-I mean...I'm so sorry, Miss Ana! That was extremely unprofessional and rude to jump up in the middle of my lesson and produce a commotion. I truly love piano and in the past 15 minutes you have seriously strengthened my skills. I hope you will consider keeping me as your student." I spoke humbly and softly.

Ana's hard stare was fixed on me. "Geet to the piano now, and I'll conseeder keeping you."

I glanced at Isaac, threw him a sweet smile and a loving sparkle in my eyes and turned back to the piano. When I finished playing Hallelujah, Isaac had disappeared. I sighed. Did I just imagine that?

"That vas okay. Ve have much vork to do. I vill keep you." Ana commented and I squealed with delight. Even if she was a pain to be around, she was an amazing pianist.

"Thank you!" I smiled politely. I think I saw a small smile turn up on her lips, but if it was there it quickly faded. After a bit of critic and a few more songs, my lesson was over. I looked around, hoping to catch a glimpse of Isaac, but I didn't see him.

"You vill not zee Izeek anymore!" She informed me.

"Why?" I quickly snapped back.

"He iz a deeestraction from ze muzeec." she told me.

I felt as if a ton of bricks were just dumped on me. "And I vill not teach you if you zee heem." She continued.

"I'm sorry, Ana. I choose Isaac." I sighed. My high hopes for piano were crushed.

She stared at me angrily for a moment before sighing deeply. "Same time next veek!" She relented and left the room.

I jumped up happily, picked up my piano books, and headed out to my car. I sat down and started the car slowly, glancing around. "Come on Isaac. Be outside or something." I muttered.

"I'm already here!" A voice nearly scared me out of my skin from the back seat.

"Isaac!" I squealed with delight.

"You should really lock your doors! Let's go get something for lunch before someone notices I'm gone!" He winked at me and jumped into the front seat.

"As you wish!" I winked back and flashed him my brilliant smile.
"Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
O

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:11 pm
thelostone says...

Isaac

"So, where should we go?" Skyler looked over at me from the driver's seat. She tapped her thumbs on the steering wheel and grinned when she felt my eyes on her.

"You tell me." I said. "I don't usually live around here."

"Um, how about Five Guy's?" She suggested and pulled up to the red light.

"Whatever you want." I smiled. The light turned and it wasn't far to the burger place Skyler picked out. We sat down in a booth and covered our faces with the menus.

"If you don't usually live here, where do you live?" She asked while perusing the food.

"With my mom and stepdad. They live a little over an hour away from here." I said and peeked at Skyler over the top of my menu. She looked up and even though her menu hid it, I knew she was smiling. "Ana's my stepmom, in case you didn't know. You didn't get to meet Decker at camp. He had to stay here and work."

Skyler set down her menu and greeted the waitress. She was older, limp gray hair fell just past her shoulders and her eyes sagged but still turned up when she smiled. "What can I get you two today?" We placed our orders and handed her our menus.

"I liked your mom." Skyler said. "She was sweet. Not like-" Her eyes widened and she covered her mouth.

"Ana?" I laughed. "It's okay you can say it. I'm not very fond of her either."

"It's not that I don't like her," She sighed. "I respect her a lot, her talents are amazing. I just think it couldn't hurt for her to soften up a little."

"That's about as soft as she gets." I said. The waitress gave us our drinks and I took a sip of my Coke. It was bubblier than I expected so I erupted into a coughing fit.

Skyler bit back her laughter. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I choked out. "More carbonated than I had expected."

"Sodas generally are carbonated." She teased.

"Okay, sasspants." I rolled my eyes. "Enough about me, tell me about your life."

52 Reviews

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:20 am

Skyler:

"Myself?" It was now my turn to cough up my soda. I searched my mind for some sort of excuse not to say anything, but my ideas were all blank. "I'm not very interesting.." I tried to convince him lamely.

"Okay.." He said slowly. "I still want to know!" He winked at me.

I sighed and sat back in my chair. This morning, I gave him a big, sloppy kiss, but now I was scared to tell him the truth. If I wanted a good, honest relationship with him, I should be perfectly honest with him. I should tell him everything. "Well, I'm sure you can tell I'm not Hispanic. I was adopted when I was ten." I began. Suddenly, my phone rang. It was Nate. "Hold on, I need to take this." I explained.

"Hey Baby Buffalo!" i answered the phone happily.

"Hey my sweet Kitten!" Nate's jolly voice responded. "I have to make this quick, but I won't be able to visit you this weekend."

My countenance dropped in an instant. Isaac must have noticed, because he looked seriously worried. "Why?" I said, biting my lip.

"Alana, my girlfriend, asked me to go to her parents house with her this weekend for her birthday. I'll miss you, though, and I'll make it up to you, I promise!"

Thoughts raced through my mind. I bit my lip to keep from crying. I was being replaced, I decided bitterly. "Okay. Have fun.." I spoke softly and gently to try to avoid the anger that I felt. "Love you." i hung up quickly and turned back to Isaac. "Sorry about that."

The waitress came and delivered our food. I took a big bite of my cheeseburger and sighed. "What were we talking about?"

Isaac looked at me sympathetically and then smiled. "You."

My feelings suddenly surged within me. The more someone knows, the more ammunition they have to hurt me. "Why should you care?" i spilled out angrily and hurt. "Why do you care if my mom committed suicide and my dad raped and abused me and my brother isn't coming home because of his stupid girlfriend? Do you just want to use my past against me like everyone else?" In the midst of my meltdown, I threw my phone across the table at him and it broke so that the battery fell out. "Just go away!" i grabbed my purse, my cheeseburger and my soda and then looked back at Isaac. My heart broke at the emotions in his eyes. I couldn't help but feel bad for yelling at him. I grabbed my phone and put it back together.

I raced outside and then to my car. I pounded the steering wheel and cried...and cried. I just ruined everything that could've been between me and Isaac. I pulled out of the parking lot and saw Isaac talking to another boy, but he was staring at me the whole time. I wiped my eyes and drove home.

I entered the house and went upstairs to my bedroom. I changed into my short pj shorts and large t-shirt and then grabbed my teddy bear and lay down. I was emotionally exhausted. I fell asleep immediately thinking only of Isaac and how I screwed everything up.
O

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:58 am
thelostone says...

Isaac

I watched speechless as everything Skyler fought hard to keep hidden spewed out across the table. Confusion, hurt, and rage were laced through her words and they intensified as she went on. When her toxic secrets finished leaking out, she stood there for a moment, breathing heavily with tears welling up in her eyes. She blinked and a few slid down her face before she snatched her phone and bolted away. Everything she said swirled around in my head as I tried to make sense of what just happened. I understood why she would want to keep her past locked away, but is she really so damaged that she automatically assumes I'd use it against her?

I placed a couple bills on the table and ran my fingers through my hair. When I walked outside I stopped the middle aged man about to walk into the restaurant to ask for directions to the nearest bus station. I spotted Skyler at the edge of the parking lot. It took a lot in me not to run in front of her car, refusing not to let her leave until we had this sorted out. I couldn't let her leave like that, but I had no choice. She drove away and I didn't hear a word the man said about the bus station. I thanked him anyways and started my five mile trek home.

As I walked three words continued to pound through my head. Rape. Suicide. Abused. One part of me wanted to beat myself up for being insensitive but the other part of me was defending myself. How was I supposed to know? I fought to keep Skyler's anger from affecting me, I wasn't going to let her anger at the world influence my outlook. But the more I thought about it the faster I lost that battle.

By the time I got home I was well past the point of pissed off, I was hurt. I wanted to call Skyler because I didn't want us to end like that, but I also didn't want to talk to her. I didn't want to talk to anyone, frankly. But of course, as soon as I got home Ana cornered me.

"You weel not be seeing my studeents, understood?" She growled.

I pushed past her, probably a little harder than necessary. "Don't worry about it. I don't think she wants to see me anymore."

"Vot do you mean?" She whirled around. "Is she steel coming for lessons? Vot did you do to her?"

"ANA!" I seethed, whipping around from the top of the stairs to look at her. "I don't want to talk about it." For once, she shut up and I retreated to my room. I went immediately to the shower and stood underneath the scalding water, letting it wash away all my twisted emotions.

I ended up staying in the shower for a good twenty minutes and I didn't even wash anything. Not that I cared. I had to admit, the hot water did make me feel better. I even felt a little bad for snapping at Ana. I put clothes on and stared at my phone sitting on my bed. After thinking about it for too long, I finally picked it up and called Skyler. It rang a total of twelve times before I reached her voicemail.

"Dammit." I mumbled into my phone and tried again. "Come on, Skyler. Pick up." Three rings later and she did.

"Hello?" She asked. I could hear in her voice that she had been crying.

"Hi." I said lamely.

"Hi."

"I'm sorry about earlier-"

"Isaac, not right now, okay?" She said. "We can talk later." Just like that the phone line went dead.

52 Reviews

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:17 am

Skyler:

I hung up the phone and crawled back into my bed. Why did he try to call me? I didn't need pity, and I certainly didn't need anyone using my past and emotions against me. Isaac had passed into dangerous territory. He could no longer be trusted. It hurt me more than I could admit to myself when I heard his voice. How, after just a weekend of knowing him, could I miss him so much?

I pursed my lips together as my thoughts traveled back to Nate. Didn't he know I needed him? My life wasn't all cotton candy and butterflies now since I was adopted. He had his girlfriend everyday. He had me about once a month. I used to be his top priority.

A quiet beep came from my phone on the side table. I reached for it and saw it was Isaac. I sighed and clicked to view the message. "I'm so, so sorry. I promise I will never intentionally hurt you, and I will never use anything against you. Call me when you feel up to talking." I read it about ten times until I actually convinced myself that he had just said that.

My mind swarmed like a hornet's nest in confusion. I didn't know what to do about him. My fingers did the task for me involuntarily. "1122 Juliette Ave." I sent him in reply before setting my phone down. I just wanted to be alone now.

I pulled the covers over my head and stared into the darkness for hours with blank thoughts. I let myself drown in emptiness. I didn't hear the knock at my door and suddenly Rosa plopped on my bed. "Skyler?" Her sweet falsetto voice rang out. "Skyler, someone is here to see you!" She pulled the sheets away from me.

I sat up and kissed Rosa's forehead. "For me?" I mustered up gently, trying to hide my emotions from the little girl. Before she could respond a knock sounded on my wall. It was Isaac. I blinked back my approaching tears. "Thanks sunshine!" I addressed my sister, flashing her an almost sincere smile.

She fluttered out of the room and Isaac shut the door. Chills ran up and down my spine. I was suddenly terrified. He sat beside me on my bed and wrapped his arm around me. I know he felt me cringe, but he stayed there anyways. "It's okay to cry. You've been holding it in for too long. Allow me to share the burden." His coaxing, soothing voice convinced me to trust him. If he was trouble, then I would accept the blame. I rested my head on his chest and let the tears pour down silently. All my emotions - my hate, pain, anger - all spilled out with my tears. I began to settle down as he rocked me back and forth, wrapped in his arms.

When I felt as if there were no more tears to spill, I sat up and kissed his cheek. "You stayed with me.." I said in awe. "Thank you so much!" I held him tight in my arms.

He squeezed me back. "I couldn't leave you..." He wiped my tears from my eyes and pushed a few pieces of hair away from my eyes.

"Isaac..." I stared into his deep blue eyes and felt entranced. "I love you." The words flowed right out of my mouth and I felt peace.

Suddenly, a new thought occurred. What if he didn't feel the same way? I just knew I was going to get hurt right now.
O

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:16 am
thelostone says...

Isaac

Love. What a funny word. "I'm gonna be honest with you, Skyler." I whispered. "I don't know what that means anymore." I turned away so I didn't have to look at her. Did she know what love is? Can you ever really love someone? She cupped my chin with her hand and tilted my face up to look at her. Her lost green eyes searched mine for answers I didn't have.

"Isaac..."

"Sky, I'm serious." I sighed. "Do you know what love is? Because I sure as hell don't. Like you love a song you'll hate two weeks later? Or like how my dad loved my mom? Love is such a controversial word, I don't even know how to use it anymore. I don't want to classify my feelings for you as love because it's so much more than that. Love doesn't last, but what we have will. I know it."

"What is it then, Isaac?" She couldn't hide the hurt in her voice. "If it's not love then what is it?"

"It's-it's-I don't know." My voice started to get rougher, louder. "But it's not fucking love because whatever we have is better. It'll last."

"You keep saying love won't last, but it does!" Skyler cried. "If it truly is love then it will last. You just have to have faith."

"Face the facts. My parents loved each other and look how that ended up." I spat the word out like tobacco. "He said he loved her and then he ran off with Ana. Is that love, Skyler? Your parents, the people who are supposed to love you more than anyone else, left you and beat you. Is that love?" As soon as the words left my mouth I regretted it. Her eyes welled up with tears and she angrily spat back at me.

"You face the fucking facts! Your parents love who they're with now, right? It's trial and error, Isaac. You can't find true love on your first try."

"Do you think this is true love?" I lowered my voice, I didn't like yelling at her. It reminded me of when my parents fought.

A few tears slid down her cheeks and she roughly wiped them away. "I thought it could've been but now I don't know." She turned her back towards me. "Please leave." I took a step closer to her and ran my fingers up her arm. "DON'T TOUCH ME!"She cried and jumped back. "Isaac, leave. Get out, now."

I ignored her and stayed put. "I didn't leave you like this before, I'm not going to leave you like this now." I said calmly. "I don't know what love is but I know that what we have is a lot stronger than it." I lightly grabbed her hand and when she tried to yank it away I pulled her into me. She tensed up when I crashed my lips against hers, but slowly it melted away and she began to kiss me back. "I think to say I love you is an understatement." I mumbled against her mouth. "But if you want me to say it, I will. I love you, Skyler."

"Why didn't you just say it to begin with?" She whispered back, our lips still only centimeters from touching.

"Because I'm a dumb guy. I went to Jupiter to get more stupider."

She couldn't fight back a giggle and she rolled her eyes. "You're lame."

"Okay." I murmured before kissing her again.

52 Reviews

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:53 am

Skyler:

Our lips separated when we had finally run out of air. Both of us were breathing heavily and held each other tightly. I hoped I would never have to let him go. When my mind finally cleared I thought about what seriously just happened. "What we have is stronger than love." I mumbled and Isaac planted another kiss on my forehead.

I heard a knock downstairs but ignored it. All I wanted to do was stay with Isaac forever. "I'm sorry for everything!" I spoke softly as I cupped his face in my hands. I pulled him closer and stared into his eyes for a little bit. We drew closer and closer until we were in a full blown kiss again. My ears rang a heavenly sound. The kiss was so sweet, so inseparable. I smiled slightly into the kiss and before I knew it we were both staring at each other, just grinning. His smile was radiant.

I moved back over to my bed and sat down and then jumped up when I saw Rosa gawking in my doorway. "What are you doing here?" I asked suddenly.

"Well, um..." Rosa stuttered at a loss for words and stepped aside.

Two others stepped into the doorway to take her place. "Surprise!?" The boy spoke up first.

I recognized Nate immediately and squealed. I ran up to him and he swung me around in his arms. When he set me down, I frowned and slapped him.

"Hey! What's that for?" He glared at me.

"You told me you weren't coming to see me!" I failed to include that the results could have made me lose Isaac.

"That's because it was a surprise!" He protested.

His girlfriend took his hand and apologized. "It was my idea." She added.

I smiled gently, but not sincerely at her. For the first time since Isaac got here I realized that I was still wearing just my very short pajama shorts and tshirt. I stepped back and took Isaac's hand. "Isaac, this is my brother, Nate, and his girlfriend, Alana. Nate and Alana this is Isaac." I introduced them.

"It's nice to meet you!" Isaac smiled sincerely. I squeezed his hand slightly. His touch was making blush a little and he noticed promptly. He winked at me, and I noticed my brother scowl.

"Can I have a word with you, privately?" Nate asked, stepping into my room.

"Always!" I nodded and shooed Isaac away after kissing his cheek. "Rosa, can you see if you can get him and Alana something to snack on or something?" I smiled at my little sister.

She nodded quickly and led the two of them back downstairs.

"Okay, what's up?" I stared into my brother's chocolatey brown eyes.

"You...him...kissing?" He stated bluntly."Who is he,Skyler?"

"If you must know, his name is Isaac!" I snapped at him. "You have Alana, so why can't I have someone?"

"Skyler, I can't protect you when youre here! What if he hurts you?" He asked me sincerely.

"He won't! I promise! If you only knew him!"

"I plan on getting to know him!" He stated protectively. "Go ahead and get dressed and I'll see you downstairs." He smiled gently at me and left.

I rummaged through my closet and found some black shorts and my mickey mouse t-shirt. I pulled them on and ran downstairs. Isaac, Nate, and Alana were at the counter eating chips. I noticed that Nate purposely sat in between Alana and Isaac so that I would have to sit next to Alana if I sat in a chair. I frowned at him who simply winked back. If that is how it's going to be... My mind spun in circles as I walked up to Isaac and sat in his lap. "I wouldn't be squishing you if my brother would move to the other side of Alana!" I smiled brilliantly at Isaac and noticed Nate scowling at me through the corner of my eye.
O

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:32 am
thelostone says...

Isaac

Skyler sat on my lap and I wrapped my arms around her waist, snuggling my chin on her shoulder. I could feel her brother glaring at us from across the room. Skyler must've noticed too because she put her lips next to my ear and whispered, "Just ignore him."

Nate cleared his throat and looked directly at me. "Hey, Isaiah-"

Before I could correct him, Skyler did it for me. "Isaac." She shot back. "His name is Isaac."

I rubbed her thigh in an attempt to calm her down. "Hey, it's okay." I murmured.

"Isaac, where do you go to school?" Nate asked, not seeming too interested in my answer.

"I'll be starting at Pleasant View High next week to finish senior year." I said.

"That's where I go." Skyler smiled and drew little circles on my hand with her finger.

"Starting?" Nate asked.

"Yeah, I used to live with my mom." I drank a sip of water then set it back down on the counter. "So, I went to school up there."

"What happened? Why'd you move?" He grilled me with questions.

"Nate," Skyler warned him.

"No, it's okay." I assured her. "Um, things got a little complicated so my mom thought it would be best if I came up here to start over." He nodded and awkward silence washed over us.

"Are you two having sex?" Nate suddenly broke the silence. Skyler choked on her drink and covered her mouth to keep from spitting it everywhere. Alana elbowed him under the table and I sat there with my heart pounding.

"Excuse me?" Skyler coughed. "Are you and Alana?"

"Don't avoid my question." He said.

"Frankly, I don't see how that's any of your business." She raised her eyebrows and stared right at him, urging him to challenge her.

"It is my business because it's my job to keep you from getting hurt." Nate growled.

"I trust Isaac." Skyler said. "And I can take care of myself. I've been doing it for a while now." She flipped her hair and turned around, straddling me.

She bent over to kiss me but before she did I whispered, "Your brother is still watching."

"I know." She grinned, a glint of mischief in her eyes. She kissed me hard and I had a hell of a hard time holding back. Her hands ran up and down my chest but I kept mine on the small of her back. When she pulled away I took in a deep breath. She stood up and pulled me up with her. "Does that answer your question, Nate?" From the look on his face he was too shocked to say anything. She took my hand and lead me out of the room. "Come on, let's go."

"Are you sure?" I asked. "But your brother-"

"I can't talk to him right now, he's pissing me off." She threw on a sweatshirt and walked outside. "Besides, he'll be here when we get back. He never leaves without telling me goodbye."

I sucked in my cheeks. "Alright." We hopped into my truck and she leaned her head back.

"I'm sorry for all of that." She sighed. "He's not usually like that."

"It's fine, Skyler. Really, it is." I started the truck up and pulled out of the driveway. "Where do you want to go seeing as it's almost dark out?"

"I don't know." She looked out the window and took a deep breath. "Just need a little break."

"When do you want to be back? I have some place I want to show you but it's not very close." I looked at the clock on the radio. 7:43 PM.

"As long as we're back before ten." She said. "But like I said, he won't leave until he knows I'm home safe and gets his goodbye hug." She pulled my arm into her lap and rested her head.

After a couple minutes, Skyler fell asleep and stayed asleep until we arrived. I gently shook her awake and helped her out of the car.

"Where are we?" She giggled when I covered her eyes with my hands.

"It's not much," I carefully lead her closer to the door. "But, I wanted you to see it." I uncovered her eyes and we both looked up at the abandoned diner. The bright red foreclosed sign was plastered to the window and one of the O's in Brooks had fallen off.

"Oh," She said softly. "Isaac.."

"Come on, let's go inside." We walked to the door and she stopped short.

"It's locked."

"Do you have a bobby pin?" I smirked. She took one out of her hair and eyed me suspiciously. I unfolded it and wiggled it in the padlock until it clicked and fell off.

"Do I want to know where you learned to do that?" She laughed as I opened the door.

"Probably not." I admitted. I held her hand and lead her inside. The lights were out but the sunset outside let plenty of light in through the windows. The booths were still in tact but most of the tables were gone or tossed aside along with the chairs. "As soon as I get a job around here, I'm going to save up to buy this place back from the bank."

"This is really cool, Isaac." She whispered, taking in the sight. "I'll help you. Fix it up, I mean."

"This is the kitchen." I smiled as we walked further back. "I was usually bust boy." I gently pulled her closer to me. "I was the best. Could've gone pro if it wasn't for my knee."

She rolled her eyes and tangled her fingers in my hair. I brought my lips to hers and held her tight. This kiss was softer, less of a show than the previous one. I still loved it though, and still wished it didn't end. The sound of sirens made us break apart and when they got louder Skyler's eyes widened with terror.

"You don't think we set off an alarm, do you?" She whispered.

"I don't know, I-"

"COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR!" A voice boomed and suddenly flashlights were being shined through the windows. "WE HAVE THE PLACE SURROUNDED."

"Shit, what do we do?" She cried.

"Do what they say." I sighed and held my hands up.

"What if we get arrested?"

"I might, but you won't." I tried to smile and reassure her but I was having trouble hiding the fear. An armed officer burst into the diner and I saw Skyler start to tremble out of the corner of my eye.

"Keep your hands in the air." He slowly walked towards us, his gun still pointed at us. "You're under arrest for trespassing."

"Sir, it's my fault." I said. "She had nothing to-"

"HANDS IN THE AIR!" He screamed and I raised my hands higher. The metal cuffs clicked around our wrists and the officer put his gun away. He pushed us out of the door and another officer came to put Skyler in a squad car.

I'm sorry I mouthed and she just nodded. I turned back to the officer who was filling out some paper work. "Please, sir, this is all my fault." I said. "Don't take her down to the station or anything. It's me you want and I'll go. Just please, let her go."

"Look son," He exhaled. "You were both inside that diner so you were both trespassing. You won't have to stay long at the station, but we are required to take you."

I threw my head back and took a deep breath of the crisp air. I am never going to be allowed to see her again. Hell, I'll be lucky if Ana or Dad lets me out of their sights. I ducked into a separate cop car from Skyler and the officer drove us to the station. We were allowed one phone call when we got there. I chose Dad because I knew he'd be able to pay the bail and I didn't want to disappoint Mom again. I didn't see Skyler until after they questioned us and put us in a holding cell. Her cheeks were streaked with lines where scared tears ran down her face and she looked terrified. They took off our handcuffs while we were in the cell and I rushed over to her.

"I didn't mean for any of this to happen," I breathed. "I'm so sorry, Skyler."

She was still trembling but she let me hold her. "I know."

"We're going to be okay." I said before adding "eventually."

One side of her mouth turned up and an officer came to unlock the cell. "Sandiago." He barked. "You've made bail. You're free to go." The officer stepped aside and Nate, fuming, was behind him.

"Nate-" Skyler cried as the officer yanked her out of the cell.

"Do you still trust him, Skyler?" He seethed. "Look at this! I'm bailing you out of jail because of him!" I could see from where I was standing the tears began to slide down her cheeks again. "I don't ever want you to see him again, understand?"

I ran over to the side of the cell and held onto the bars. "Nate, please-"

He stood only an inch away from my face, the bars the only thing separating us. "If I ever see you near my sister again I will make sure it's the last thing you ever do." He hissed and in that moment I was thankful for the cell's protection. He got closer and whispered, "Don't think I didn't do my research on you while you two were gone. I know about the drugs. Funny what you can find out through the internet. You will not see Skyler anymore do I make that perfectly clear?"

"Please, don't tell her about what happened." I begged. "It's not what it looks like. I don't want you or her to think that's who I am."

"I knew you were no good." He spat then tugged on Skyler's arm. "Let's go, we're leaving."

52 Reviews

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:22 am

Skyler

Nate pulled me away outside to his car. My heart was broken. I noticed Alana sitting in the back seat. From the looks of it she was crying too. All my hate and jealousy for her instantly vanished as I got in the back seat. She opened her arms out towards me and i fell into them. She gently caressed me. I sobbed loudly, the tears raining down my face.

"I told you, Nate!" Alana whispered harshly.

"Please, Nate! He has never done anything to hurt me! He is so selfless... I know who to and who not to trust. Please don't keep me away from Isaac." I pleaded.

Nate looked back at me compassionately and grabbed my cold hand. "I just want to protect you, Sky. You're my world. I won't change my mind."

I gritted my teeth and pulled my hand away. Alana looked as upset as I felt. I pulled out my cell phone. "Nate didn't say I couldn't text you. I love you, Isaac. I'll see you at my piano lesson next week. But...What was Nate talking about drugs?" I texted quickly. I know Alana saw me send the message, but thankfully she remained silent.

The rest of the ride home was set in a cold silence. Isaac still hadn't replied to my message. Was he still in jail, I wondered. He didn't deserve this! Neither did I! I needed him!

I pulled on my pajamas and curled up in my bed. I heard mumbling above me in the room where my brother was sleeping. Alana must be up there, I decided. I couldn't sleep. I rolled around all night and received absolutely no rest. I joined my family at the kitchen table at breakfast. Even though my mom made me my favorite, french toast, for breakfast, I refused to eat. I couldn't eat.

"Skyler, this can't last forever!" Nate spoke up.

"Watch me wither and fade before your eyes." I snapped at him. "And remember that It's your fault. Give Isaac a chance, please!"

"I'll think about it..." He mumbled. I threw Alana a hint of a smile and she returned with an illuminating one.

At lunch, I didn't eat again. Isaac still hadn't responded. What if he was still in jail? I wished I could go and rescue him.

By the time dinner arrived, my family was very worried about me not eating. Still, I refused to eat. I repeated my comment on giving Isaac a second chance at every meal.

I hadn't eaten or slept for two days. I just needed to know if Isaac was okay. He hadn't texted back and I was desperately worried. Alana kept begging me to eat. She was more worried about me than my brother. I couldn't take it anymore. I knew that Nate would never hurt Isaac. No matter what he threatened, he would never hurt him. I had to go make sure Isaac wasn't still in jail. I knew Nate had taken Alana to lunch. I told Rosa I was going over to a friend's house to study and got in my car. I stopped by the bank and withdrew enough money to bail Isaac out if I needed to.

I hoped I was going the right way. I had slept the whole way when Isaac brought me, but I payed a ton of attention on the way home. I finally spotted the jail. I breathed heavily and my heart was pounding.

"Is Isaac Brooks still in?" I asked the man at the front desk.

With a few clicks on the computer he nodded his head.

I handed him my money. "This is enough for bail, right?"

The officer looked at me with wide eyes and nodded. He spoke into a walkie talkie and said to let Isaac go.

"Sky?" As Isaac entered the front room I gasped. He looked as bad as me.

"Isaac!" Tears rolled down my face as I covered his faces with gentle kisses.

He held me tight, but I didn't mind. I never wanted to let him go. I led him outside to my car, and we hopped in. "Isaac... I just want to be with you..." I reached over for his hand. The bags under my eyes spoke louder than my words. I had grown skinny in the past few days.

"I know, Sky. I know." Isaac mumbled.

We stared into each other's eyes for a moment. My phone rang instantly. Shit, it was Nate. I picked it up.

"Where are you, Skyler?" He asked me.

"Studying!" I said quickly and hung up. "Isaac.. What is that whole drug thing about?" I looked at him deeply.
O

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 am
thelostone says...

Isaac

"You heard Nate didn't you?" I groaned and she nodded. "Look, just hear me out, okay? It's not what it seems like. Just listen to the whole story, promise?"

"Of course." She took my hand and held it to her lips, kissing each one of my knuckles. I took in a sharp breath then spilled the story. The money, the dealing, the fight, all of it.

"So that's how I got expelled and moved up here." I wrapped up the story and she smiled.

"You are the most selfless person I have ever met." Skyler whispered and took my face in her hands. "Don't worry about Nate. He talks big but he wouldn't hurt a fly."

"Even if that fly was dating his sister?" I smirked.

"Even if that fly was dating his sister." She repeated with a smile. "I think you should be more worried about Ana. Speaking of, why weren't you bailed out yet?"

"Ana had an important concert she had to attend and my dad was with her." I explained. "Piano comes before Isaac."

Skyler leaned her head towards mine but stopped before our lips touched. "Will you ever be let out of your castle again, Rapunzel?"

"Probably not." I admitted and nuzzled her nose with mine. She giggled lightly. "But I've never been one to follow the rules."

"Me either." She whispered. "I was just in jail you know. Bit of a badass, if you weren't able to tell."

"Oh, I was able to." I murmured, still only millimeters from kissing her. "I could tell the moment you threw yourself in front of my truck."

"Funny, I don't remember it that way." She muttered and brought her lips to mine. We were gentle at first, then she climbed over into my lap and the kiss got deeper, filled with need. She balled up my shirt in her fist with one hand and knotted her fingers through my hair with the other hand. I slid my hands under the thin fabric of her shirt and placed my hands on her hot bare waist. Her phone buzzed loudly in the cup holder and I finally broke away from her.

"It's probably Nate." I breathed heavily.

"It probably is." She said.

"You should probably answer it."

"I probably should."

"Are you?" I asked. She shook her head and smiled her brilliant smile. She looked up at something through the back window and her smile faded. "What is it?"

"Ana." Skyler gaped and scrambled back into the drivers seat. "She's here."

"Well, I guess that's my cue to leave then." I sighed and kissed her forehead. "I hope you can make it to my funeral. Make sure they play the Space Jam theme song."

"Okay." She laughed. "Good luck." I hopped out of her car and watched her drive away. Ana came storming out of the police station, dressed in a pencil skirt and a blouse.

"Vot in za hell eez going on?" She yanked my arm so tight I was sure it was going to bruise the next day. Her intense eyes threw flames at me as she tugged me into her small smart car.

"Look, I can explain." I didn't know why I was trying to reason with her. "It's all just a big misunderstanding-" Before I could finish she slapped me from the drivers seat. It was hard enough to successfully piss me off and shut me up until we got home. As I suspected, Dad was waiting, enraged, in the living room.

"Are you fucking kidding me." He growled. "I get a call saying you're being detained because you trespassed on private property? How many times are you planning on getting into altercations, Isaac? You can't just keep starting over, life isn't like a video game."

"It was a one time thing, Dad. It won't happen again." I promised. My phone rang in my pocket and my dad snatched it before I could. In one swift moment he smashed it against the wall. "DAD!" I cried, my voice cracking.

"It's time for you to grow up." He snarled then left to join Ana in the kitchen.

52 Reviews

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:52 am

Skyler:

I couldn't help but feeling bad leaving Isaac all alone at the police station. I honestly already missed him. I looked down at my phone. One missed call from Nate. I quickly called him back.

"Hello?" He answered frantically. "Skyler! Where are you?"

I sighed and answered honestly. "Bailing Isaac... Please don't get mad, Nate! He has an awful stepmom. He is the most selfless person on earth! The drugs were a mistake. It was honestly out of good intentions. He was trying to help his family. The reason we were arrested was because he was showing me his mother's old restaurant. He wanted to buy it back for her because she loved it so much."

He cut me short gently. "Skyler! I trust you, Kitten. I took it too seriously. If you really trust him, so do I."

"Really?" I was overjoyed.

"Really!" He confirmed. "Now, please come home I have something serious to tell you."

"Okay! I'm heading there now!" I smiled as I hung up. I had to call Isaac and tell him. I quickly dialed his number. It rang a few times and then went dead. That's weird, I thought. I tried dialing it one more time. It didn't even ring this time. I was immediately worried. I promised Nate I would come home now. What was more important? My boyfriend or brother?

I decided I should probably get home to my brother and started in that direction. It felt as if a coconut dropped to the pit of my stomach when I thought of Isaac. He was always immediate when responding on his phone. I tried calling one more time. It didn't ring at all.

When I got home, I ran in the house and declared. "I have to go to Isaac's house, Nate!"

He and Alana both came running towards me. "Why?" Alana asked frantically. "He's not answering his phone. I've just got a bad feeling!"

Nate looked at me strangely. "He's probably just talking with his parents.

"Call it women's intuition!" I responded without hesitation and Alana satisfied my comment with a look. "Please!"

"Okay..." Nate relented. "But let us come with you! I have something to talk to you about."

"Well come on!" The three of us piled into my car and I headed towards Isaac's house.

"Want to go on a camping trip?" Alana blurted out.

"We can bring your boyfriend!" Nate added quickly.

I gave them a shocked, wide eyed look. "What's going on? Why?"

"Dad just escaped prison. I'm worried that he'll come for you...for us. I just want to get out of the area for a while." Nate explained.

"Well...if Isaac will, sure!" I said, a little frightened. I was shaking and my vision blurred, but I continued to drive steadfastly.

"How far away does he live?" Alana asked from the back seat. I could tell she was worried about me. Was it that obvious that I was terrified?

"We're almost there." I answered, my voice shaky.

I pulled into his driveway, and the three of us piled out of the car. After scanning the windows I noticed that two figures stood in one. It must be Ana and his dad. I finally saw some motion in one room and immediately recognized Isaac's silhouette. I picked up a rock and threw it at his window.

He opened it slowly and whispered loudly. "I always thought that I'd be the one throwing rocks at your window!" He winked and then noticed Nate and Alana. He looked at me skeptically.

I rolled my eyes and whispered back. "Grab a duffle bag full of camping necessities!" I grinned.

"We're kidnapping you!" Alana continued, giggling.
O

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:59 am
thelostone says...

Isaac

I peered out of my window and held up a finger. I scrambled around my room, shoving various items into my duffle bag. I could smell Dad's cigars so I knew he was in the living room with Ana. Probably talking about something in great detail. Dad doesn't smoke unless he's planning on staying put for a while. Of course, there was a small part of me that knew I shouldn't go but as usual I ignored it. When I looked back out the window Alana and Skyler were waving me down.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!" Skyler called up. I grinned and slung my bag over my shoulder. I scribbled a note to my dad saying I was sorry and I'd be back soon. I slowly made my way downstairs, avoiding the second to last creaky stair. Ana's voice echoed through the hall.

"And vot eef za boy doesn't do weel here?" She said in a hushed tone. "Ve cood go to my home in Russia."

"We'll give him a chance here, Ana." Dad sighed. "I can't keep getting phone calls about a minor in possession or trespassing private property. He needs to learn that no matter where he lives there will be rules and laws he is required to follow."

"Bot Sean, my visa weel expire by ze end of za month." Ana's voice grew softer and it was hard for me to figure out what she was saying. "I applied for za green card but zey tell me I have to wait in my country unteel it is accepteed. I weel be deported by za end of ze month."

"We'll figure something out." I heard Dad say. If Ana gets deported will I have to come with them? They can't take me to Russia. I won't go. I snap out of it and decide to worry about it later. I crept out the back door and out to Skyler.

"Come on!" She squealed and tugged me into the back seat with her. "Aren't you excited?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Super." She studied my face and her eyebrows knitted together.

"Are you okay?" She mumbled.

"Yeah." I smiled and held her hand. "So, where are we going?"

"Not far." Nate backed out of the driveway and took off. His definition of 'not far' was a little off. We were on the road for over two hours before we finally made it to the camp site. Alana and Skyler began to unpack and Nate pulled me to the side. "So, uh, I want to apologize for what happened the other night."

"Nah, don't worry about it." I waved him off. "We're cool."

"Look, if Skyler trusts you then so do I." He extended his hand and when I grasped it he came closer and whispered, "Just don't break her heart."

"Never." I promised. "Do you think the girls can put up their tents or.."

Nate let go of my hand and chuckled as we watched Skyler and Alana try to figure out how to set up a tent. "No way. But it's fun to watch them try."

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia