z

Young Writers Society

False Face Foward (TheLostOne and TaylorLove)

Reviews: 4
Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:20 am
thelostone says...

Noah

I went downstairs and told our families about Jake. They told me there's not much we can do unless he starts assaulting Jami again. I walked upstairs and found Jami sitting hunched over on the edge of her bed. When she heard me come in she rushed over. "What happened? Can they put him back in jail?I don't want him back here, Noah." She whispered and hugged me tight. "Please. Tell me he's gone for good."

"Jay," I mumbled. "We can't put him away unless he starts hurting you again. We're just going to have to steer clear of him. You're going to be okay. I'll make sure of it."

She stayed quiet and kept her arms around me. Without knocking Parker walked in and sat on her bed. "Mom says it's time to go."

"Okay, I'll be down in a minute." I hissed but Parker didn't move. "I said I'll be down in a minute, now scram." He held his hands up in surrender and walked out. Jami lifted her head to look at me.

"I don't want you to leave." She whined.

I tilted her chin up so her lips met mine and I kissed her gently and carefully: the way she deserves to be kissed. The longer we kissed the more her lips began to taste salty. I pulled away and saw that she had been crying. I wiped her tears with my thumb and whispered, "You're going to be okay, Jami. He won't hurt you." I gave her one last short kiss then continued, "If you need something just call me. I'll pick you up for school in the morning, okay? Goodnight, Jay."

"Goodnight." She murmured.

Just as I was about to open the door it swung open and Parker ran straight into me. "MOM SAYS-"

"Yeah, I know what Mom says. I'm coming." I pushed him off of me and he strode over to Jami. He took her hand and kissed it.

"Until next time, beautiful." He winked and Jami laughed lightly.

"See you later, Parker."

"Come on, dweeb." I teased and grabbed his collar. I pulled him out the door and out to the car.

In the morning I hurriedly got ready and grabbed a muffin on the way out. Jami met me in my driveway and she was wearing jeans and an actual sweatshirt. I don't know how long it's been since she's worn a sweatshirt to school. I wanted so badly to kiss her but it would be safer if I didn't. So, I just hugged her and hopped in my jeep. I kept stealing glances of her when I was driving and I could tell she was nervous. Jake would be at school today. I gave her a reassuring smile but I doubt it helped. We walked to her locker and she grabbed her honors chem books.

"You going to be okay?" I asked then immediately regretted it. Of course she wasn't.

She nodded. "Yeah. I'm okay."

The warning bell rang and she took a deep breath before smiling and walking off towards her class. I turned to go to my locker and I spotted Jake down the hall. He glared at me and so I quickly turned around. Who needs trig books anyways?
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

Reviews: 1
Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:37 pm
TaylorLove says...

Jami

Honors Chem was such a fun class. My teacher loved to blow things up, so we did not do a lot of book work. He hated giving tests. He always said that if it was up to him, he would just do labs every day. I sat down at the lab table and then Austin came in. He was my lab partner. I did not hate him or anything, he was really nice. I am just not good at talking to anyone other than my family and Noah. Austin talked all the time.

The worst part, was that he was on Jake's football team. Oh, and of course they were best friends. So it made me feel a little more uncomfortable around him. I knew if I dropped on hint about Noah, he would report it back to Jake. "So, I heard Jake broke up with you."

Oh, how he lies. I went along with it though, hoping I would not have to listen to him again. "Yep." I say.

"That blows." He says. He put a tablet into water and it blew a puff of smoke. Then, he starts to laugh like he is the most funny person in the world. "Get it?" He asks.

I nod and tie my hair back.

"Tough crowd." He says, sighing.

"Sorry, I sort of saw that coming." I tell him.

We don't talk for a while, which was odd for Austin. Usually he just tells this long story about random things and I just nod. He was quiet though. "So, I have been thinking." He says.

"Okay." I says, expecting to hear a long and drawn out theory about how he is questioning theory of God know what, but to my surprise that was not the case.

"The homecoming dance is coming up." He begins.

"Yep, are you going to ask Lucy?" I ask.

"No, I was thinking about asking you." He says. "I really like you Jami, so I am so glad you are not dating Jake anymore. I cannot wait to take you to homecoming..." He was going to say more, but I cut him off.

"Whoa, slow down. I never said I was going to go with you." I said.

"I just assumed." He said, a little defeated.

"Sorry, I am not going to be dating, or going to homecoming." I say, I don't like this talking thing. It is not fun.

"Why?" He asks.

I bite my lip. Because I am kind of dating my best friend and if you know that I will be abused. An answer that will not get me hurt was not forming in my mouth. "I just.."

"Just what?" He says.

"I can't." I tell him, looking down at my note book.

"I think you are just playing hard to get. I am going to take you to homecoming with me." He smirks.

With that, the lunch bell rang and he ran out. I grunt, wanting to call after him but the words would not come out. I gathered my things and began to walk to lunch.
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:00 pm
thelostone says...

Noah

I found Jami at lunch and we awkwardly sat across from each other at the end of a crowded table. "Hey, uh, I need to talk to you about something." She nudged me. "It's about Austin."

"LaPoint?" I asked, peeling my orange and she nodded.

"He's my lab partner and he asked me to homecoming." She poked at her salad. "I told him I couldn't but what are we going to do if he tells Jake and-"

"He's not going to figure it out." I said and popped an orange slice in my mouth. "Just keep telling him no or just ignore him. People go stag all the time, it'll be fine." She looked at me worried and deep down I was worried too but I ignored it. "The dance is tomorrow night, you only have to say no a couple more times and then it'll be over."

"Okay." She gulped and nodded. "I want a piece." She held out her hand and I gave her a couple orange slices. She looked up and she froze. "Oh god." She mumbled then looked back down at the table.

"What?" I turned around and Austin was walking towards us. His varsity jacket was proudly hanging off his shoulders and his spiked blonde hair was almost touching the ceiling. He slid into the seat next to me and I stuck my tongue out in my cheek.

"Hey, Jami." He smiled and looked at me. "Harding." I nodded back. "So about homecoming, I'll give you some time to think about it but I really hope you'll say yes. I mean there's no reason you wouldn't want to go, being single and all."

She barely looked up and said weakly. "I'll think about it."

He smirked then got up to leave. "He's gone." I said. "You can look up now."

She sighed and pushed her plate away. "I'm not hungry anymore. Noah, I don't know what to do he's relentless."

I thought about it and even though it killed me I said these words, "Go with him."

"What?" She asked shocked. "But I don't want to go with him. The only person I want to go with is you."

"I know, but Jake." I said. "It'd be safer if you went with Austin. Jake would rather see you with him than me."

She said nothing and looked back at the table. "I hate this."

"Me too." I murmured.

"Who are you going to with?" She asked, sadly.

"I don't know. Lucy maybe?" I pointed to Austin in the snack line. "He's right there. You should probably go tell him you'll go with him."

"Yeah." She whispered. "I guess I probably should." She slowly got up and looked at me one last time before walking to the snack line and joining Austin. I watched from a distance as she told him she accepted his invite and he crushed her to him. I clenched my fists under the table and turned back to my orange. I couldn't watch anymore.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:25 pm
TaylorLove says...

Jami

School ended and it was not a good one. I went out to Noah's car to wait on him. He usually comes out pretty quick, so it was weird having to wait on him. I tried to get in the car, but it was locked. I sighed and put my backpack on the ground, it becoming to heavy to hold.

I looked around, trying to find Noah. I found him talking to Lucy and I sighed. This sucked. I could not even look at them. Lucy was twirling her light brown hair and giggling. Noah was smiling, even thought it was forced. It felt like someone hit me right in the heart. Even though, I knew his smile was fake I wanted to be the girl that makes him smile like that. I was so jealous of her right now.

Now, I know how Noah felt when Austin hugged me. This was horrible in every single way imaginable. I looked down at the ground and sighed. The sound of a car horn made me jump out of my skin. I looked up and saw Austin smirking at me. "I did not mean to scared you."

I nod, not able to really say anything else.

"Need a ride?" He asks.

I shake my head, forcing words out of my mouth. "No, I am just waiting."

"Come on, jump in." He said, smirking.

"No, it is fine." I tell him, still looking at the ground.

"I insist. Anything to get to see your beautiful face more." He says. "Come on, jump in."

I sigh and get in the car. I set my backpack in the back seat and give him directions to my house. We get there soon enough and I thank him. He drives away and I walk into my house. Noah was still not here, and that bothered me. My mom greeted me and I smiled. "How was school, did Jake bother you?" She asked.

"No. I got asked to homecoming." I say.

"By Noah?" She asks.

I shake my head. "I wish." I said. "Will you help me pick out a dress? The dance is tomorrow." I ask, changing the subject.

"I am guessing you don't want to talk about it?" She asks.

"Nope." I say. "I have done far to much talking today."

She laughs. "Sure, get in the car. I know the perfect place."

--

My mom was awesome. I hated shopping, but my mom makes it some what enjoyable. She is a blunt mother. I came out in a light pink dress. "You look like a Barbie that got a job at the slut store." She told me.

I gasp and laugh. "Mom!"

"Just being honest." She said. "Your dad would kill me."

"I hate it anyways." I say. I try on another but I don't even want to here he say she does not like it, so I try my pick on. It was a simple blue dress, with a little sparkle. I show it to my mom and she smiles.

"I like that. Get that one." She said.

I nod and change back into my comfy sweatshirt. My mom pays for it and we head home. I text Noah, seeing that he was home.

To: Noah
Hey, can I come over?
-Winnie the Pooh

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:27 pm
thelostone says...

Noah

When the school bell rang I found Lucy waiting in the parking lot. Might as well ask her now. I walked up to her and smiled. "Uh, hey Lucy."

She grinned and picked up a piece of her hair. "Hi, Noah."

"So, uh, do you have a date to the dance yet?" I tried to hold back my grimace. Lucy's dark brown eyes lit up and shook her head. "Would you want to go with me, maybe?"

"I'd love to." She grinned.

"I'll pick you up at eight tomorrow then." I said and waved goodbye. When I got to my jeep Jami wasn't there. She must've gotten a ride with someone else. I hopped in the car and banged my fist on the steering wheel. I need to run. I threw the jeep into gear and drove a little over the speed limit to the soccer fields. Behind the fields is a nature trail which is my favorite place to run. It goes through the forest and barely anyone uses it. As soon as my feet hit the ground I took off.

I ran for about forty minutes then jogged back to my car. Exhausted, I drove back home. Mom was cooking dinner in the kitchen and Parker was sprawled out across the couch watching some stupid cartoons. I trudged upstairs and got in the shower. When I was done and dressed, Parker ran into my room.

"So, you gonna tell Jami she can come over or what?" He asked.

"What are you talking about?" I swatted at his feet. "Get out of my room."

"She texted you thirty-four minutes ago asking if she could come over." He said. I haven't checked my phone all day. It was still sitting on my dresser from this morning.

"I told you to stop going through my texts you little shit." I growled and snatched my phone. Sure enough, there was the text from Jami.

"Relax, I didn't touch your phone." He grinned. "I touched Jami's."

"What?" I glared at him. "You went over to her house?"

"We all did, dummy." Parker hit his hand against his chest. "For thanksgiving. I bugged her phone while you two were saying goodbye by making love."

"Shut up, we weren't having sex." I spat.

"Stop arguing with me and just invite the chick over already." He rolled his eyes and winked at me on his way out the door.

To: Jay
Yeah, of course

I ran to the top of the stairs and yelled, "MOM, JAMI'S COMING OVER." I went back into my room before I could hear her reply. Soon after, Jami showed up at the door. Parker let her in and my mom wiped her hands on her apron before she hugged her.

"Hello, Jami." She greeted her. "Saturday night I have to go out for a business dinner with one of my clients and I was hoping you could babysit for Parker. Noah has soccer practice and I don't want to leave him here alone."

"Yeah, no problem Mrs. Harding." Jami smiled then followed me upstairs. I closed the door behind her and then wrapped my arms around her waist and kissed her. She smiled into the kiss and put her arms around my neck. I carried her over to the bed where I threw her down and she giggled. I crawled next to her and turned on my TV.

"What do you want to watch?" I asked as she snuggled up on my chest.

"I don't care." She sighed. I put it on the same cartoons I'm sure Parker's watching downstairs. "You know, this really sucks. Having to hide and all."

"I know." I said. "But I don't want you to get hurt. This is the safest option right now."

She remained quiet and we watched the animated turtles kick ass on my television screen. There was a knock on my door and then Parker came in. "Wow," I said. "I didn't know you knew how to knock."

"I just didn't want to see you naked." He looked at Jami. "You on the other hand.."

"Parker!" I threw a pillow at him and hit him on the shoulder.

He held his hands up in surrender and laughed. "Geez, I was only kidding. Mom says it's time for dinner. She wants to know if Jami wants to stay."

I looked at Jami and she nodded. "I'd love to."

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:24 am
TaylorLove says...

Jami

Noah grabs my hand and pretty much drags me down the stairs. I laughed and jogged to keep from falling. "What do you want to drink?" He asks me.

I look at him. "Do you even have to ask? I can get it myself." I say. He looked at me, as if that was a challenge. Simultaneously, we both run into the kitchen. I get a little ahead of him, but he locks his arms around me and we fall to the ground. He pins me to the ground and winks at me.

Parker walks bye. "Don't get the carpet dirt." He says.

"Shut up." Noah calls after him, still pinning me to the ground.

They banter back and forth for a while and I sigh. "Hello, can you give your secret girlfriend a little affection instead of arguing with your brother?" I whisper, raising my eye brows.

He looks down at me for a moment and then leans down to kiss me. I roll out from under him and stand up. "To late, you missed your chance." I smirk, winking. I skip into the kitchen and grab a glass and fill it up with water.

Noah comes in, looking sad. I give him a look of pity and head to dining room.

I set my water down and, Noah follows acting sluggish.

He sits down in a chair and he sighs a deep sigh. I laugh and sit across his lap. I plant a kiss on his lips and he pulls me close to him. I kiss him with a lot of passion and he returns it. "Our dining room is so sexual." Parker interjected.

I laughed into the kiss, before getting of his lap. I sit in the chair next to Noah, but he pulls the chair closer to him. I laugh and he mom sets the food in the middle of the table. "Dig in guys." His mom tells us.

--

The next day was long and worn out. I did not get to see Noah all day. Austin picked me up for school and took me home. I hated it so much. My mom helped me get ready for the dance. She put make-up on me. I hated make-up. I did not want my hair curled, that was just too much for me. Because she put make-up on me, she made a compromise. Instead of curls, she put my hair up into a elegant pony tail.

I put on my dress and sliver heels and soon enough, there was a knock at the door. It was Austin. I force a smile as he hugs me. "You look great." He says.

I nod, "Thanks."

"Should we go?" He asks, offering me his arms.

I nod and take it. "Sure."
Attachments
il_fullxfull_445864484_c5q4.jpg
-Winnie the Pooh

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:26 pm
thelostone says...

Noah

The day of the dance I didn't see Jami at all. I had to go in for more tutoring at lunch so I didn't see her then and she was busy getting ready to go to with Austin for the rest of the day. I didn't even remember I was going with Lucy until my mom came in and asked me about it. She handed me a corsage and I tried to look ecstatic about going.

"Okay, here's a question for you." Mom said, fussing with my tie. "Why didn't you ask Jami?"

"You know, because Jake's back." I sighed. "We thought it would be safer if we went with other people."

She nodded. "Well, if that's what you think is best. Just don't play with this poor girl's heart, okay?"

"Trust me, Mom." I said. "I won't"

She slapped my butt and pushed me out the door. "You better get going or you'll be late."

I walked out to my car and looked at Jami's house from across the street. I sighed then hopped in my car. Lucy's house wasn't too far from mine and her dad was surprisingly not aggressive. I gave her the corsage and we drove to the dance. The school gym was decorated with streamers and balloons all the school's colors. Music was blasting and Lucy laughed and dragged me into the gym. Immediately, I started looking for Jami but I didn't see her. Lucy pulled me onto the dance floor and the song's tempo slowed. I took her waist but made sure there was a bit of distance between our bodies. Soon after we started dancing, I saw her. Jami looked amazing. Hell, she looks amazing all the time. Her dress made her green eyes and long tan legs stand out. The only part I didn't like was her arm. It was draped around Austin.

"Hey," Lucy whispered and I turned back to her. "Why are you doing this?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, clearly I am not the one you wanted to take here. You've barely said a word to me since you asked me." She looked kinda sad and it made me feel guilty but it's for the better.

"No, I am glad you're here with me." I lied. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jami at the punch bowl. "I-I need to go get a drink, I'll be right back." I walked away before she could object.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:04 pm
TaylorLove says...

Jami

Nope, I did not like this at all. Too many people for me, but I got myself into the mess. Austin told me that he was going to request a song, so I got away from the crowd and went to get a drink. I looked around and saw Noah with Lucy and I frowned. His arms were around her waist and he was smiling. I could tell that is was fake, but I still did not like it.

I looked down at the punch and drank one. It tasted horrible and I knew there was alcohol in it. I did not drink another sip. I shake it off and sigh. I looked up and saw Noah walking to me. We have known each other so long, I never cared how I looked around him. Something was different now. I straightened up and quit fiddling with my hands.

He looked at me and was about to reach out and take my hand, but he stopped himself. "Hey." He said.

"You left your date." I state, but not sounding mad.

"I know, but I wanted to see you. Even if it is only for a second." He says.

I smiled a real smile and looked down at my shoes, hiding my blush. I could tell I was as red as the punch.

Noah reached to get one, but I stopped him. "I would not drink that if I were you." I tell him.

He nods and draws his hand away. "Where is your date?" He asks.

"He went to request a song." I tell him. Austin was coming this way, so I lowered my voice to a whisper. "Come over later. I will leave the window open." I told him and then turned to Austin. Noah use to sneak over all the time when we were kids. My parents did not want anyone over when there were sleeping, he snuck in the window.

Austin pulled me onto the dance floor and drew me close to him. I tried not to grunt and he swung me around. I was not much of a dancer, nut Noah and I use to swing dance in the living room. I did not like this.

Slowly, the dance ended and I was ready to go home. I felt empty without seeing Noah. It was worse sing him with another girl. I knew it was the same way with me, but it still sucked.

Austin dropped me off and I went up to my room and unlocked my window. I slipped my shoes off and sat on my bed. I grabbed my sketch book from under my pillow and look through all my pictures. My sketch book was like my diary. I was not good with words, so I took up drawing.

The ones at the beginning were dark and sad, from when I was with Jake. But near the end, they were happy. I heard Noah coming, so I hid my book. "Hey." I say, when he gets in my room.
-Winnie the Pooh

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:37 pm
thelostone says...

Noah

The dance ended and I drove Lucy home. When I got back to my house Mom was sitting on the couch, glass of wine in one hand and the TV remote in the other. "How was the dance?" She asked, glancing up from the food network channel.

"Fine, I guess." I sighed. "I think I'm just gonna go to bed now. It's late." She nodded. "Is Parker sleeping?" She nodded again so I left to go upstairs. I changed into sweats and one of my old soccer shirts then waited to hear Mom go to bed. When I was sure the coast was clear I snuck out of the door and ran over to Jami's. I climbed the tree by her window then squeezed into her room.

"Hey." She smiled at me as I plopped on her bed.

"Is it just me or did that window get smaller?" I panted.

"Just you." She teased. She lied down next to me and I picked up a strand of her blonde hair. "Did you have fun tonight?"

"No." I said. "Did you?" She shook her head and I turned my head so I could kiss her. Before I could touch my lips to hers she stopped me.

"Remember when we used to do that stupid swing dance in my living room?" She whispered.

"Yeah, to that old record of yours." I grinned. "I remember."

"That's what I thought about when I was dancing with Austin tonight." She said. She sat up and rummaged through a box by her dresser. "I think I still have it." She pulled out a record and held it up. "Got it."

"I thought the record player was downstairs." I said and watched as she looked around for it.

"It was but I convinced my parents to let me bring it up to my room then I started dating Jake and he thought vintage stuff was weird so I thought I put it.." She drifted off and pulled the wooden box out of her closet. "Here." She picked it up and set it on her dresser. "Would you like to do the honors? We can have our own homecoming dance."

"It'd be my pleasure." I said and hopped up off the bed. I took the vinyl record from her hand and gently placed it on the machine. I put the little handle onto the record and music blasted through her room. Jami squealed and giggled running over to turn the volume down.

"Shh, we'll wake up my parents!" She laughed and turned the dial down.

I held out my hand and asked, "May I have this dance?"

"Why, I'd love to!" She took my hand and we began our fast paced dance around her room. I spun her in quick circles as we jumped and danced. She laughed and I put my finger to my mouth to remind her to be quiet. The song came to a close and we were both out of breath. "That was fun!" She gushed. I squeezed her hand then let go to look through her box of vinyls. When I found the one I was looking for I put it on the machine and soft slow tunes surrounded us. When Jami heard the song she blushed. "Noah, that's my parents that-that's not mine. They danced to it at their wedding."

"Doesn't mean we can't dance to it now." I smiled then pulled her tight against me. She wrapped her arms around my neck and we swayed in small circles around her room. The song came to a close and we broke apart. Jami put the records back in their box and tried to put the record player back in her closet but I stopped her. "What are you doing?"

"I'm putting it back?" She said, confused.

"Why? Are you ashamed of it?" I asked and she shook her head. "Then why hide it?" She nodded and set it back on her dresser.

"I guess I'm just used to hiding things from my past." She said softly.

I took her face in my hands and whispered, "You're not hiding your past you're hiding your memories. It's okay to not want to remember the past all the time but it's not okay to run from your good memories." I pressed my lips to hers then headed back towards the window. "Don't forget, you're babysitting tomorrow for Parker." I reminded her.

"I won't." She leaned out of the window and kissed me goodnight. I climbed down the tree and went home.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 pm
TaylorLove says...

Jami

I woke up the next morning, because I needed to babysit Parker. I got out of bed and forced myself into the shower. I washed my hair and body, then got out. Quickly, I dried my hair and braided it to the side. I did not bother putting make-up on, because I hated it. I put jeans and a sweat shirt on and became content when my horrible appearance.

"Bye, Mom!" I yell as I run across the street. I knock on the door and Parker answers it.

"Hello, lovely lady." He says, kissing my hand.

I roll my eyes and smile. "Awe you are such a charmer." I laugh.

I takes my hand, as if I had no idea where I was going, and leads me to the kitchen where is mom is running franticly around.

"That you so much, Jami." She says, hugging me.

"No, problem, Ms. Emily." I say. I grab her coat, keys and purse, knowing she was looking for them every where. "Here."

She hugs me again. "Your a blessing."

She begins to leave and I smile. "Stay out as late as you want."

They door closes and I look back at Parker. "Have you eaten breakfast?" I ask.

"No." He says. "You make the breakfast and I will go put in a romantic movie for us to watch together."

I laugh. "Okay, you do that."

I crack some eggs and begin to make breakfast. I make some sausage, rather than bacon, knowing Parker likes that better. I pour the orange juice in two cups. I hear the front door open and I go over to inspect. I knew Emily locked the doors, so it had to be unlocked. I did not who would have a key.

I say Noah walk in the door and I smile. "What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I skipped soccer practice because I wanted to see you. I drove around the block until my mom left so she would think I went to practice." He tells me. He comes over and wrap his arms around me and I smile.

He leans down to kiss me and I snake my arms around his neck. Parker walks by and grunts. "This was suppose to be a romantic day for Jami and I, Noah. You ruin everything." Parker says.
-Winnie the Pooh

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:12 am
thelostone says...

Noah

"Just doing my job as an older brother." I smirked.

"Jami's here to babysit me, not you." Parker climbed up on the counter and Jami was about to object but I shook my head and she closed her mouth. "Which means, go to practice or I'll tell Mom you skipped."

"She's not going to care." I laughed. Parker dug through the cabinet and pulled out a twix bar.

"No need for eggs, Jami." He grinned. "I got my breakfast right here."

She sighed and pulled away from me. "At least have some sausage to go with it." Parker shook his head and hopped down from the counter with a thud. "Okay, let me rephrase that." She thrust a plate of sausage at him. "Have sausage with it or no TV."

His freckled nose scrunched up before accepting defeat and shoving a few links into his mouth. Jami smiled and I began to take her upstairs but Parker stopped me. "I don't know if you weren't listening earlier dickface, but Jami's here for me which means you two stay down here and do whatever I want to do. Understand?"

I stood at the top of the stairs and glared at him.

"Parker, watch your language." Jami scolded lightly.

"Sure thing, love muffin." He winked. "But really though, Noah." I continued to glare and attempted to walk up the rest of the steps but his words stopped me. "Jami, want to watch a video? I have a good one, you'll like it. What do you think about the band *NSYNC?"

"Wha-"

"You know, he's right we should stay down here with him." I took her wrist and ran back down the stairs. I sat on the couch and Jami sat confused next to me. Parker wiggled in between us and it took all of my strength not to drop kick him into tomorrow.

"So, Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network?" He asked and happily flipped through the channels. We sat and watched over an hour of cartoons with Parker before he got bored and demanded we do something to fix it.

"We could play hide n seek?" Jami suggested.

"I'm sorry lovebug, but do I look six years old to you?" Parker said.

"Don't talk to her like that." I growled, leaning over to get in his face.

"What are you gonna do about it, fartface?" He snarled back. I tackled him to the ground and wrestled him, ignoring Jami begging us to stop, and pinned him to the floor. I dangled a string of spit over his face and Parker brought his knee up, slamming me in the balls.

"Save your spit for Jami." He smirked then attacked me again. Pain coursed through my body and I fought hard to keep Parker from winning when all of a sudden we were drenched in water.

"I SAID STOP IT!" Jami screamed and we both looked up. She was holding the dripping faucet sprayer and it was aimed at us. Her scowl quickly broke out into a smile and she sprayed us again, this time laughing. "Hey, this is kinda fun!"

I jumped off of Parker and ran over to her, using my hand to shield the water blasts. Jami squealed as I tried to wrestle it out of her grasp. Parker came in and pelted us with water balloons. "Where the hell did you get those?!" I cried, trying to dodge his fire.

"Noah, language." Jami tried to scold me but she was laughing too much.

"I always have a spare arsenal in my room!" Parker said. His ammo ran out and Jami and I chased him up the stairs. He bolted into my room and I grabbed pillows off of my bed. I tossed one to Jami and cornered Parker.

"Get him!" I declared. Jami and I hit Parker with the pillows as he laughed and eventually got out of the corner. We continued whacking each other with the pillows until we tuckered out and fell over onto my bed.

"That was fun." Parker sighed.

"You know what'll be even more fun?" Jami said.

"What?" He asked.

"Cleaning it up." She giggled and he threw his pillow at her. "Hey! Geez! I thought we called a truce. I was only kidding, Noah and I will clean it up."

"WHAT?!" I cried and Jami ignored me.

"Come on, let's go downstairs. You can watch your TV shows while Noah and I mop up the floors." She lead us downstairs and Parker winked at her before we went into the kitchen.

"You look sexy with your hair wet, sugar plum!" He called after us. Jami laughed and immediately stopped when we got a look at the kitchen. It was completely soaked. Water balloon pieces were splattered everywhere, the whole place looked flooded.

"Wow." I breathed.

"Well, at least there's tile." She grabbed some towels from the linen closet and began to clean up the puddles. "You get the balloon pieces."

I nodded and started to peel the colorful shreds of rubber off of the fridge and wherever else they were. When the kitchen looked almost back to normal, Jami's phone went off.

"It's my mom." She said before answering it. "Hello?" I couldn't tell what her mom was saying on the other end but it made Jay's face sheet white.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 am
TaylorLove says...

Jami

I stutter with my words. "M-mom, why d-did you tell him t-that?" I ask.

"I did not think it would do any harm, Jami. Calm down." She says.

I put my hand on my head and grunt. "No, mom. I can't. If Jake knows that I was here. He will hurt me again. He gets outrageously jealous and then angry."

"Why would Jake know? Austin came over." My mom asks, clearly confused.

"Austin is like Jake's shadow. He follows him everywhere. He tells Jake everything, mom. How could you do this?" I ask, forcing the tears back.

"I am sorry, sweet heart." She says. I hang up the phone and pace back and forth.

"This cannot be happening." I mumble.

Noah grabs my arms, firm but gentle. "Jay, you need to relax." He tells me.

"Yeah, Jami. I will beat him up for you." Parker says.

"Go to your room, Parker." Noah says.

"I am not-" Parker begins but Noah cuts him off.

"NOW!" Noah yells and Parker walks to his room.

"We can do this together." Noah say, holding me in his arms.

I lay my head desperately against his chest. He should not have to go through this with me. He deserves to be happy. He deserves to have a girl that is not dysfunctional like me. I look at him with sad eyes and he shakes his head.

"Stop, stop thinking whatever you are thinking." He says. He pulls me tighter against him and it broke my heart. I did not want him to worry about me.

"You deserve so much better than this, Noah. I don't want you to worry about me any more. I am so sorry for dragging you into this. You deserve someone that can make you happy, not make you worry." I say, pulling away from him. "I am so sorry that I got you into this."
-Winnie the Pooh

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:17 am
thelostone says...

Noah

"Jay, stop it right now." I grabbed her wrist and pulled her back into me. "Just take a deep breath, okay? The only one worrying right now is you." She took a deep breath and clung onto me again.

"I just don't want you to go through this. It's all my fault." She whispered.

"Jami, would you please listen to me?" I said. "We've been a team for practically our whole lives. We can get through this together too. We're going to be fine, I'm not going anywhere. I think you should just get some rest tonight and we can deal with this tomorrow. It's Saturday, we have time."

She bolted back up and she was shaking with fear. "What makes you think he's going to wait until Monday at school to do anything?" She cried. "Noah, I-I can't do this alone but I can't d-drag you into this."

"I mean this in the nicest way possible, just shut up for a minute." I said before crashing my lips to hers. I could feel her body relax as I kissed her.

"But Jake-" She murmured inbetween kisses.

"Not gonna worry about him right now." I mumbled and kissed her again before laying her down in the bed. "I'll be right back, alright? Just try to relax everything is going to be okay."

She nodded numbly and I carefully closed the door before almost tripping over Parker who was listening outside my door. "I think I can help you." He said. "All I need is that Austin guy's phone number and Jake's. I can send Jake a text that looks like that Austin guy sent it."

"Okay." I agreed and we went back into my room. "Jay, where's your phone?" She pointed to my dresser and I quickly searched the contacts. "Here. Austin and Jake." Parker took the phone and scampered into his room.

"What's going on?" Jami asked, sitting up.

"Parker decided to help us. He's going to send Jake a text from Austin telling him it was a big misunderstanding but that means you need to go home and invite him over. You need to lie and say you were at the store and your mom just forgot or something." I explained. "We're going to be okay but I need you to take a couple deep breaths and walk home pretending everything's okay."

"But it's not." She whimpered.

"But it will be." I kissed her forehead and practically pulled her down the stairs. Parker ran into the living room and handed Jami her phone back.

"There. It's done." He puffed out his chest, proud of what he did.

"Just go home, invite him over and lie your ass off." I smiled weakly then kissed her quickly. She nodded and wiped her tears then rushed over to her house. I closed the door and looked over at Parker. "You really saved the day. How much is it going to cost me?"

He shrugged. "Just don't like seeing my lady upset." He looked me over then grinned. "But twenty bucks would do it too."

I rummaged through my pocket and pulled out a ten. I handed it to Parker. This better work.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:44 pm
TaylorLove says...

Jami

Over the years, I have become really good at lying. I had to pretend to be someone I was not for two years so I had to tell some pretty horrible lies. Of course I was not proud of it, but it was the only way I would not get hurt. Guess I am going to do that again.

I got out my phone and called Austin. It ringed for a moment and then he picked up. "Hey, Austin. I am so sorry I missed you. I was at the store and..." He cuts me off.

"Your mom said you were over there are Noah's house." He says, confused.

"What? Oh, no. I went to drop off their mail. They were out for a few days Thanksgiving break, so my family got their mail." I lie. I went to the store after that. Whole Foods was packed. It took me two hours." I say.

"Oh, I thought.." He drifts off.

"So do you want to come back over? We could watch a movie or something. It would be fun." I ask, trying to sound like I want him to be here.

I can tell he was smiling. "Sure." He says. He hangs up and I run upstairs. I blot the tear stains off and make myself some what presentable.

--

There was a knock at the door and I ran down to it. Austin hugs me and smile. I don't like pretending to like him. It is not fair to either of up. We walk into the living room and I pop in a movie. I did not put in any Disney movies. Noah and I use to curl up on the couch and watch Disney movies together. When ever we would get into a fight, or I got mad at him, he would put in Finding Nemo and we forgot about the whole thing.

I put in the Bucket List and sat down next to Austin, but not too close. He put his arm around me and I felt a little sick. I don't know why but it made me feel like I was going to get sick.

I played along until the movie was over and then Austin left. He kissed me on the cheek. "See ya, babe." He says.

I force a smile and then close the door. I walk up to my room and lay down on the bed. This was just all too much for me. I laid down. I was done. I did not want to pretend anymore I did not want to be afraid. I did not want to be forced to like Austin. I hated it. I got out my phone and text Noah.

To: Noah
He is gone. He bought it.
-Winnie the Pooh

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:46 pm
thelostone says...

Noah

Parker and I spent the rest of the afternoon watching animated superheroes fly across the TV screen. No matter how hard I tried to concentrate on the cartoon, my mind still wandered to Jami.

"Who would win Thor or the Hulk?" Parker asked and shoved a handful of popcorn in his mouth.

"Hulk." I answered. "No contest."

"No way!" He cried. "Thor would totally win. He's got his hammer and he's a god."

"Yeah, but Hulk is the strongest thing ever," I retaliated. "Nothing can hurt him."

"Thor's hammer could."

"Maybe give him a little headrush but other than that he'd be fine." I said. "He also could probably lift Thor's hammer."

"NOBODY CAN LIFT THOR'S HAMMER!" Parker screamed and threw popcorn at me. "Educate yourself, moron." I was about to punch him in the gut but we heard Mom jiggle the key into the door and we immediately stopped.

"Hey, Mom." I smiled when she came in.

"Hey, I thought you'd be out with your team or something." She said, hanging up her coat. "Isn't that what you usually do after practice?" She turned around and saw Parker on the couch with popcorn. "Noah, why would you let him have that on the couch! You guys know my rules. Parker, take that in the kitchen." He nodded and Mom looked around. "Where's Jami?"

"Uh, she had something unexpected pop up and she needed to leave." I hate lying to my mom but this wasn't really a lie. There was some truth to it. Still, it didn't feel great. "Practice ended early so I told her I'd come and take over."

"Oh," She mumbled to herself. "In case you're interested, my meeting went well. It took a little longer than expected but that's alright." She walked into the kitchen and looked at the clock above the stove. 4:48. "I suppose, it's a little early for dinner. Are you two hungry?" I shrugged and Parker shook his head. "Noah, just call in for some pizza whenever you two are hungry. I have some paperwork I need to finish."

When she left Parker hopped on the couch and started to jump. "Order it! I want pepperoni, nothing else."

"You just said you weren't hungry." I said.

"I wasn't hungry for whatever organic stuff she was going to make us for dinner." He grinned. "I'm always hungry for pizza."

I sighed and called Dominos. I hung up after ordering and Jami texted me.

He's gone. He bought it.

I hit reply and typed fast.

To: Jay
Good. You did great. I have to watch Parker for the rest of the night, Mom has more work to do. I'll see you tomorrow though. Text me when you're out of church

The next morning was Sunday and as soon as I woke up my stomach already churned over the thought of school the next day. I knew Jami had church and Parker had a soccer game, but I still hoped we'd get a chance to see each other. Mom came into my room and asked if I would take Parker to his game to which I said yes. I assumed she went back to sleep so I got up and knocked on Parker's door.

"Don't forget you have a game today." I called through the wood. "We're leaving here in ten minutes so wake up." The door swung open and Parker stood in front of me dressed in his white and orange uniform.

"I'm already up." He said and followed me downstairs. "We need to leave earlier than ten minutes because I have to take pictures before the game so we need to leave now."

"Hold up, I'm not even dressed." I yawned then walked back upstairs. I threw on some sweatpants and a t-shirt then came back down. "Alright, let's go."

We got in the car and I drove him to the fields. He eagerly jumped out and ran towards his teammates. I followed but before I got too far someone grabbed the back of my shirt and swung me around. It was Jake.

"So, I heard you and Jami are getting a little close." He growled. "I swear to god, Harding, she's still mine and if you get the idea to ask her out it will be the last thing you ever do. Understand?"

"She deserves someone who will treat her like an actual human being," I spat. "Not like a punching bag."

Jake's face flushed with anger and he pushed me roughly onto the ground. "She's a bitch so I treat her like one." He bent over to get in my face. "Believe it or not, I know things and if I hear that you two even held hands, I will personally fuck you up and anyone else you're close to." He wiped his hands on his dirty jeans then walked away. My heart was still pounding in my chest. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this with Jami. We're only setting each other up to get hurt, either by Jake or by ourselves. I thought what I was doing was keeping her safe, showing her she is capable of being loved but what if all I'm really doing is hurting her? She can't be with Jake but she can't be with me either.

I pushed myself off of the ground and stood up. I decided I wouldn't tell Jami about what Jake said. Maybe I can shield her a little bit longer. I'm just going to have to be a lot more careful around her. If anyone sees us doing anything we'll both get hurt.

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
— Alvin Toffler