z

Young Writers Society

False Face Foward (TheLostOne and TaylorLove)

Reviews: 1
Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:28 am
TaylorLove says...

A misunderstood girl and a guilty friend. Will he save her, will she be safe, will they ever be friends again, will she confess her feelings?

Spoiler! :
Name: Jami Elizabeth Edwards (Jay)
Personality: Jay is really quirky and shy. She is so down to earth and relaxed and loveable. At first she looks like a lost puppy, but if you can get her our of her shell she is so nice and fun. She falls for anything and everything, always looks for a good time. She hates arguments. She would rather take the blame for it than fight, so she puts a lot on her self. Jay does not want you to see her upset. She will always pretend to be strong, but she is crying out for help. If you can get her to talk about her feeling, you are special.
Ever since she lost her friend, she got caught up in some pretty shitty stuff. She is now being forced to be perky and loud. He boyfriend beats her until she puts on a fake show of happiness. She tries to be his perfect girl so she won't get hurt. He said he would hurt her family and she can't let them get hurt. She is very humble, but she is suffering.
Background: She was always the shy one, only her best friend in the world understanding her. She always hand a crush on him, but was to shy and afraid to tell him. Then he did the worlds most stupid thing and now they never talk. Well she was a loner for a while, but then Jake, captain of the football team, laid eyes on her. He wanted her so he got her. At first it was good, but then things got rough.
He has unknown problems and he forces her to be the popular girl for her. He beats her id she does not. He made her get fit and look perfect so she could he the head cheerleader to his quarter back. He told her that if she did not stay the same weight and look the same, he would hurt her. If she did not act the way he wanted he would beat her more. If she told anyone, he would hurt her family. She is stuck, in need of someone to save her.
Appearance: She is super thin and really fit, not by choice. She is 5'8 and really beautiful. She has long, blonde hair and green eyes. She has to put on a fake smile, but if you really get her to smile, it lights up the room. She has cuts and blue marks on her body from Jake.
Last edited by TaylorLove on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

Reviews: 4
Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:24 am
thelostone says...

Name: Noah Harding

Appearance: Light brown hair that flops just over his eyes which are the same color as his hair. There's a splash of freckles across his face. He's average height and his muscles are toned but not bulky.

Personality: Noah's very laid back and easygoing. He loves to joke around and doesn't get easily upset. He likes to make others laugh and loves to play soccer. When he's angry or upset he runs wherever his feet take him. He will stand up for whatever he thinks is right but tries not to get physical (unless on the field of course).

Background: Noah grew up across the street from Jay and they used to cause trouble all around the neighborhood. All throughout elementary and middle school they were best friends. He knew everything about her but then in the middle of ninth grade year, Noah's dad passed away in a car accident. He shut everyone out, including Jay. No matter how hard she tried to get him to talk to her things just weren't the same. Eventually, she got tired of trying and they drifted apart. Noah took the rest of freshman year off to stay at home with his mom. Slowly, he began to pick himself back up and in sophomore year he returned to school but by then his friendship with Jay was too damaged. He spent the rest of the years watching as she climbed up the social status and wishing he hadn't screwed things up with her.
Attachments
Boy 2.jpg
Boy 2.jpg (28.74 KiB) Viewed 429 times
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:28 am
TaylorLove says...

Jami
My alarm clock buzzes and I grunt. I was not a morning person, nope hated them to death. I drag myself out of bed and into the shower. I washed my skin gently because I had really bad scars from Jake. Yesterday was not one of his good days, not that he had many of them. I get out and dry my hair, pulling it up into a high ponytail with my cheer bow.

With my towel wrapped around me, I walk out into my room. I open the doors to my closet and sigh. I see clothes from two years ago. Jeans, a soccer uniform, one or two of Noah's jackets. I frown and then look at my clothes now. Dresses, skirts and worst of all, my cheer leading uniform. I grab my cheerleading uniform and put it on. How this fit dress code, I have no idea. It looked like it srunk in the washer, but it had not. It was that short. I tie my trainers and walk down stairs. "Morning family." I said, walking into the dining room.

"Morning, sunshine." My mother says. She looks at the black and blue marks on my arm, frowing. "What happened?" She asked.

I lie to her and fake a smile. "The girls dropped my yesterday. It was not fun." I explain.

"Oh, I'm sorry." she says.

"Ah, they will get better I guess." I say simply. She hands me a coffee just as I hear a honk from outside. "Jake's here." I say, trying to sound delighted about the fact that the boy that beats me takes me to school.

"Okay, be careful." She tells me.

"Okay." I kiss her cheek and sling my book bag over my back. Walking out the door, I see Noah across the street getting into his Jeep. He smiles, but I just walk to Jakes car. I will not wish for what might have been.

I get into the car with Jake and close the door. He kisses my cheek and I manage not to cringe. The only reason I am with him is to keep my family safe. "Morning." He says.
"Morning." I fake a smile.

He pulls of and then we head to school. He holds my hand and I hold his back. Trying to seem happy on the outside, but crying on the end. Everyday was a struggle. I was so shy and did not open up to very many people. Noah was the only one I could really talk to, but now we are not friends.

Everyday, I have to pretend to be this barbie doll that I am not. I have to talk to people and pretend to be happy that I am the girlfriend of the quarter back. I have to pretend that I want to cheer when I would rather play soccer with Noah. My life is just an act.

We walk into school and Jake leaves for English while I go to math. I get my books from my locker and then go to math. I really did understood math. It was a chance to get away from Jake which is a reason I liked it so much.

As I walk, I smash into someone really hard. I fall to the ground and grunt. "Sorry, sorry." The person says, but I knew what voice all to well. Noah.

He reaches his hand out to help my but I act like I do not see it. "It's fine, Noah." I say. I pick up my things and just walk to class.
-Winnie the Pooh

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:03 pm
thelostone says...

Noah

"Noah!" My mom's voice ripped me out of my dreams. "Noah, you're going to be late!"

I groaned and slowly rolled out of bed. "Okay, Mom." I sleepwalked to the bathroom where I turned the shower on and got in. The hot water made my case of Monday fever worse. As it fell down my back I didn't want to leave. I just want to stay here in the shower where I can just stand here and think for the rest of my life.

"NOAH!"

"Shit." I mumbled then turned the shower off. I hurried up and got dressed then ran downstairs to meet my Mom. "Okay, okay, I'm ready now."

My mom smiled and shook her head. Her hair was the same color as mine but had some gray streaks running through it. She almost always wore it in a loose bun but today it was down. "Good. You're going to be late." She handed me a toaster waffle and I shoved it in my mouth, hungrily. "Do you have soccer after school?"

I nodded, my mouth still full of the cinnamon waffle.

"Do you have all your stuff?"

"Yes, Mom." I managed to say. I finished the waffle then kissed Mom on the cheek. "I'll be home around seven. Don't forget about tomorrow."

The look on her face told me she already forgot about it. "What? Seven, I thought practice ends at five?"

"The big game! Mom, come on! Tomorrow we play Carmen and it's a big deal. They're ranked second in the state. You have to be there. Yes, practice ends at five but it's the big game! I'm going to the fields off of Holly road so I can keep practicing."

She nodded. "Right, the big game. Carmen. Okay, I won't forget. Now go!"

I grabbed my school bag which was slung across the kitchen table where I should've done all the homework that was inside but I didn't. I opened the door and headed towards my jeep. When I looked up to unlock it, Jami was walking out to Jake's car. Why does she date that dick? Doesn't she know she deserves better? I smiled and gave a little wave but she ignored me. Not really a surprise. I got in my car and drove to school. I walked into the school and started putting my books back in my locker. How am I going to get all of this homework done before second period? I grabbed my trig book and folder then locked it back up. I immediately took out the worksheet I was supposed to have done last night and attempted to solve the equations while walking down the hall. Something, or rather someone, bumped into me and my book fell on the ground. When I saw who it was I stuttered. It was Jami.

"Sorry! S-sorry." I held out my hand to help her up but she didn't take it.

"It's fine, Noah." She sighed then collected her things off the ground.

When she walked away I mentally beat myself up and kept heading towards Trig class.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:56 pm
TaylorLove says...

Jami

I was two years ahead in math and there was only three people in my class, including me. I really enjoyed for the most part. Other than being with Jake and not having any real friends, I did really well is school. "Oh you are back. I thought you would have failed by now." Some guy tells me ask I walk into my class. "All you are good for is waving your spirit fingers and wearing your short skirt."

I look down at the ground and take my seat. "Shut up, David. She is making a higher grade than you. You are just jealous." The teacher snaps at him.

As I get my math book out I smile. I am glad a least someone fought back for me.

--

After school was over, I was about to head out of school when my math teacher stopped me. "Jami, can I ask you something?" He asks.

I look down, my face going a bit pink. I really hate talking to people. "Sure." I say in a soft voice.

"You are the highest in my class and I was wondering if you would like to do some tutoring for me." He said.

I sigh and nod. "That's find. What math?" I ask.

"Trig. I know you can do it. You made a 99 in that class." He tells me.

"I know I can, but I am not really good at talking to people." I explain.

"You are a cheerleader. I think you will be fine." He says, confused.

I nod, just about forgeting how I was suppose to act. "Right, sorry. I don't really know what I was saying." I put on a fake smile.

"Great. You will start tomorrow. I will get you the info tomorrow." He says. "Thanks for doing this."

I nod and walk away. I head to my locker and throw things in there. A piece of paper fell out and I bend to pick it up. "Dear, Jami. Sorry football is going to run later that I thought, so I cannot take you home. Walking will do you good. It looks like you gained a few. XOXO Jake." I read to myself. I sigh and begin the three mile walk to my house. I walk around Holly road and pass the old soccer field. I see a person playing on it and right away I knew it was Noah.

I don't know what inside of me made me do it, but the next thing I know I drop my bookbag and sprint to him. He was playing all alone and I had not played soccer with him in years. When he was running opposite me, I sneak behind him and kick the ball from under his feet and kick it into my goal. "Still not as fast as me?" I ask.

"Like that will ever be true." He says, panting. "I'm sorry I knocked you over in the hallway." He tells me.

I nod and kick the ball to him, still standing in the goal. "Don't worry about it. I have had worse things happen to me." I say, being honest.

"I am sorry I shut you out too." He tells me. I look down at the ground.

"I did not come here to talk about it. I came here to play soccer." I tell him. "Now let's see if you can get any past me."

"I can." He winks.

I roll my eyes and he kicks a ball to me and I block it.

We play for what feels like hours and I was having fun. I kinda felt like me again. There was nothing I wanted more that to have Noah back in my life. I wanted to see him and for him to call me Jay. I wanted him to hug me and spin me around like he use to. I wanted to tell him how I felt and for him to make me smile, something a lot of people cannot do.

I snap out of it and I felt like my heart dropped. If Jake knew I was here, I would be hurting for weeks. Then Noah might get hurt. "I have to go." I say, running.

"We were having fun though." He whines.

"Sorry, It is for your own good." I say, running. Now I was back to my horrible life.
-Winnie the Pooh

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:11 pm
thelostone says...

Noah

"Let's see if you can still take penalty shots." I smirked at Jami and set the ball up on the small line.

"It hasn't been that long." She smiled then cracked her knuckles. I jogged back into the net and held my hands up. "Ready?"

I nodded and bounced on the balls of my feet. My cleats dug into the dirt and I watched Jami line up her shot. With one strong kick the ball sailed past my guard and into the net. She jumped around and squealed. "That was just luck." I teased, not bothering to wipe the dirt off of my knees.

"No, that was talent." Jami walked into the net and I took the ball to the penalty spot. "There's a difference."

"I bet I can make this from half field." I grinned and jogged with the ball at my feet to half field.

"Getting a little cocky now, are we?" Jay said. "You'll owe me ten dollars if you miss."

"Yeah? And if I make it?" I asked. I aimed the ball at the net and took a couple steps back.

"Hmm, if you make it then I'll owe you ten bucks." She said.

"Alright, sounds fair." I agreed then took two big strides towards the ball and it flew into the air. I held my breath and it landed right in the top corner of the net. I thrusted my fist into the air and cried out in celebration. "WOOOOOO! Hahaha!" I ran back to the net and held out my hand. "That'll be ten bucks, sweet cheeks."

She rolled her green eyes and dug through her pockets. She pulled out three crinkled dollar bills and handed them to me. "It's all I've got."

"Hmm, then I guess there's a lesson to be learned here, huh?" I took the money and pocketed it with a smirk. "Don't bet money you don't have on such a great soccer player like myself."

"That was just luck."

"No, that was talent." I winked. "There's a difference." She reached out to push my shoulder and I noticed the bruises that covered her arms. She must've seen me staring because she immediately withdrew her arm.

"A couple girls dropped me at practice yesterday." She mumbled. "It's nothing."

"We may not have talked in a while, Jay, but I can still tell when you're lying." I sighed. "You can talk to me you know."

"Like you talked to me when your dad died?" She snapped and started backing away from me.

"That was different." I said, grabbing her wrist.

"Whatever, I need to go." She yanked it out of my grasp and started running.

"Jami!" I yelled after her. "Come on, let's just forget about all of that. We were having fun!"

She stopped running and turned back towards me. "Sorry, it's for your own good."

"My own good?" I asked, incredulous. I had caught up to her. "How much longer can we keep doing this, Jay?"

"Doing what, Noah?"

"This. Pretending we were never friends. Do you really think it's for our own good? I can't keep doing this. I know I shut you out and I know I screwed up but I'm better now. Why can't we just start over?" I begged.

"Noah, I-" She struggled to find the right words and I could tell she was trying hard to fight back her emotions. "I- we- we just can't, okay? I don't want you to get hurt."

"What is that supposed to mean? Jay, I've been hurt." I said. "Since my dad died freshmen year. I've fought it for so long and the only time I felt like myself again was just then. When we were playing on the field."

"I can't do this." She whispered then ran off to her car.

When she pulled away from the fields I took off running as fast as I could. The harder my cleats dug into the ground the better I felt. People say running away from your problems is wrong but it's the only thing that's been working for me.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:59 am
TaylorLove says...

Jami

The next day I was in a mood. I just did not want to get out of bed. My dad came in my room and sang to me until I woke up. I laughed and rolled out of bed. "Fine, I will wake up." I smile a real smile.

"You should smile more." My dad says.

"Well, I will smile at something that is worth it." I say nudging him. "Now get out, I have to get dressed."

"Okay, okay." He says, walking out.

I get dressed and put some make-up on. I did not mind wearing this. Dark jeans, almost black and a sparkly purple top. I still would rather wear a soccer uniform or something.

I ran down stairs. "Oh, Jake called and said he could not pick you up." My mom said. "Something about getting there early to ask the coach something."

"That's fine." I say. Believe me, it was fine.

--

It was the soccer teams big game and I wanted to be there. I tried to convince myself that I was not there to see Noah, but I lost. It was no use fighting it.

I jump in my car and the team was warming up on the field. It was a little chilly, so I wrapped my arms around myself. Noah saw me sitting on the bleachers and jogged over. "What are you doing here?" He asked me.

I sigh. "Are you not happy to see me?" I ask, joking.

"No, I just did not expect to see you here." He says. "I am glad you came."

"I came to see you lose." I wink, grinning.

"Well I am sorry, sweetheart that is not going to happen." He notices me shiver and I see him get worried. "Here's my jacket." He says, handing it over.

"I can't take that." I say, but he wraps it around me. I blush and look down. "Go play. The team will suck without you."

"Thanks, see ya." He laughs. "Stay warm."

I nod and sit down. The game was going great. Noah was doing great and I was talking to his mom the whole time. She could always get me to talk. I loved her to death. "You know, he really misses you Jay." She tells me.

"I know. I would be lying if I said I did not miss him too." I confess. "I just cannot do that."

"Why?" She asks.

"I cannot tell you this one, Ms. Emily." I say. Jake appears and grabs my arm.

"I need to have a word." He grunts.

I nod slowly, knowing what was coming. He pulls me away and I try not to scream.
-Winnie the Pooh

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:15 am
thelostone says...

Noah

"Harding!" Coach Wheeler yelled and motioned for me to join him on the bench.

"Yeah, Coach?"

"You know I think you're a great asset to this team, but the school board has seen your transcript and they talked with me yesterday." He ran his fingers through what's left of his hair. "Kid, you need to get your grades up or I'll have to kick you off the team."

"What?" I cried. "Seriously? They can do that? But my grades aren't even that bad. I mean I have mostly B's and one or two C's..." I drifted off.

"Trigonometry, Noah." Coach said. "You're failing. The school board and I have made arrangements for you to study with a tutor for the rest of the semester. Every Monday, Wednesday, Friday in the tutoring lab after school."

I sighed and dug some grass up with the toe of my cleat. "Alright."

Coach clapped my back and pushed me towards the field. "Good. Take Carpenter out, play left mid."

I nodded and jogged onto the field. I saw Jami sitting in the stands next to my mom and I waved towards them before the ref blew the whistle. The game resumed and I focused on the ball.

The game ended and we won. I looked up from the team huddle to see if Jami was still there but she wasn't.

"Good game, boys." Coach put his hand in the circle. "Bobcats on three."

"One, two, three, BOBCATS!" We chanted. I grabbed my soccer bag and headed towards the bleachers. I pulled out my phone and I had missed a text.

Hey! I saw the first half of your game you did great! I had to leave to get things for dinner. Drive home safe. Love you

I started walking towards my jeep while glancing around the field for Jami but I didn't see her. I found my jeep in the back corner and as I was going to it I found her. She was sitting in Jake's car. I hid behind the car in front of me and tried to look through the windows to see them. Jami's face was swollen red from crying and Jake's angry eyes were glaring at her. He was shaking my jacket in her face. He raised his hand and it came down hard across her cheek. I didn't want to see anymore. I ran to the jeep and quickly drove away. Jake.. he hit her. The bruises from yesterday.. I knew she was lying but I didn't know.. she said she didn't want to hurt me, was he threatening to hit me too? Why would she stay with him? Is he the reason she's been so different? Did he hit her because of me?

Thousands of unanswered questions raced through my head and I pulled into the driveway. Mom congratulated me on our win and I fell asleep that night thinking of Jami and the girl who used to be my best friend.

The school day dragged on and I dreaded staying after for my tutoring session. I contemplated skipping and telling Coach that I went but he'd see through my lie. I trudged into the tutoring lab and waited. I was half asleep when someone nudged my back.

"Hey, um, I'm your tutor for Trig."

My head snapped up at that voice. It was Jami's. She's my tutor? I looked up and both of our eyes grew wide. Obviously she didn't expect me as her student either. Her eyes were still a little bloodshot from yesterday and there was a fresh bruise on her cheek.

"Jay-"

She cleared her throat and opened up my book. "So, equations that's where you're struggling?"

I nodded.

"Well, you should've learned that in algebra but better late than never." She sighed. I couldn't take my eyes off of the purple and black mark on her cheek. She was mumbling about x values and y values but I wasn't listening. "Noah!" She snapped her fingers and I looked up in her eyes.

"Why are you dating him?" I blurted out.

"What? Noah-"

"Why do you date him when he does that to you?" I asked pointing to her cheek.

She lowered her eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about. I tripped and-"

"Don't bullshit me, Jay." I whispered. "I know what happened, I saw you guys yesterday in the car. He hit you. Why do you let him do that to you?"

"Noah, please just trust me. I'm okay I have everything under control."

"Dammit, Jami." I hissed. "I hate it when you lie to me. You're not okay. We need to do something he shouldn't be doing that to you. Go to the police."

"I can't." She murmured her green eyes filled with tears. "I can't let him hurt anyone else."

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:34 am
TaylorLove says...

Jami

I did not like to see Noah mad. He was the most laid back person in the world, so I was not a big fan of when he got upset with me. "What the hell will he hurt, Jay?" He shouts

"Don't scream at me, Noah. I get that enough from Jake." I say, fighting back tears.

He sighs an sits down. "I'm sorry, Jay. I don't like seeing you hurt." He tells me.

"You are making this an ordeal." I say.

"Jay, someone is abusing you!" He hisses. "I refuse to take this lightly. Now who is he going to hurt."

I stand, up out of rage. "Me, my family, YOU!" I shout. "Yesterday he got mad because I was at your soccer game. He said if I tell anyone he would hurt my family. I will not take that risk." I scream. "I care too much about you and my family to much."

"I want you to be safe." He sighs.

"You think I enjoy having scars? I hate the pain. It is all my fault so I deserve this . After we did not talk anymore, I was confused and lost so this happened. I don't want my pain to be lashed out on you."

"We can fix this." He says.

"No we can't." I say, about to cry. I run out the door an get in my car. I drive far away from the school to an old play ground Noah and i use to go to. I sit on a swing and then let myself cry, something I have not done in a while. He was right. I was going to get hurt and I hate that, they are more important to me.

I wanted my life back. I wanted to be the shy girl that you had to get to know to understand the inside. I wanted to be the nerd that could beat her best friend at soccer. I did not want to have to be someone else for anybody. I just wanted to be happy with myself again.

I could not be selfish though. No one should have the same pain I do and I would never wish it upon anyone. I hate it, but I want my family and Noah to be safe.

Today showed me a lot, but I think the most important was finding out that Noah still cared about me.
-Winnie the Pooh

Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:04 am
thelostone says...

Noah

I got home after tutoring and Mom was wiping the kitchen counters clean. "Hey!" She smiled when she saw me walk in the door.

"Hey, Mom." I sighed and threw my backpack on the floor.

She came over to hug me but she saw the look on my face and put her hands on my cheeks. "Is something wrong?"

I shrugged and her hands fell to her sides. "I talked to Jami today. She's my tutor actually."

"Oh yeah?" Mom heaved my backpack up onto one of the hooks on the wall. "I saw her at your game yesterday. She sat next to me. She said she misses you too. You know, she's welcome over here anytime."

I rummaged through the pantry and snatched a granola bar. "I know I just- I don't know. She's different now, Mom. Ever since she started dating that asshole-"

"Noah! Language!" Mom scolded me. "And don't eat too much. We're going to have dinner soon."

I tossed the wrapper into the garbage and trudged up the stairs. I closed my bedroom door behind me and from the door I could see Jami's house out of my window. It had started to rain and through the raindrops I could tell her car wasn't in the driveway so she hasn't come home yet. What if she was with Jake? What if she was getting hit again right now? She doesn't deserve that, no one does. If she's not going to do anything about it than I will. How though? I need some air, I need to think.

I pressed my pocket to make sure my car keys were in there, which they were so I ran down the stairs. The smell of spaghetti sauce enveloped the house. "Mom, I'm going to the soccer fields." I lied. "Need to practice some more."

"But dinner is almost ready." Mom looked at me then down at the sauce bubbling in the pot. "Noah, I'd rather you not dinner's ready and it's pouring rain out. "

"I'll be back soon." I kissed her cheek and hurried out the door. "I'm not very hungry so don't wait up on me."

"I told you not to eat so much!" Mom cried as I shut the door.

I hopped into my jeep and pushed the key into the ignition. I put the windshield wipers on high and drove to the old wooden playground Jay and I used to play at when we were kids. It was empty, the playground has seen tons of kids since Jami and I were last here. It was beaten up and has seen better days but I still loved being there. I shoved my hands deep into my pockets and noticed someone hunched over on one of the swings. The closer I got I realized it was Jami. Her face was in her hands and her shoulders were shaking with sobs. She didn't even notice me sit down on the swing next to her.

"Hey." I said softly. She practically jumped out of her swing and viciously wiped her tears away. Her hair was soaked and stuck to her cheeks.

"Noah." She mumbled. "W-what are you doing here?"

"I come here sometimes to think too." I said. Her gaze was focused on the damp wood chips beneath our feet. She didn't say anything we just watched the woodchips and listened to the rain as it hit the ground. "Have you seen Jake today?"

She shook her head. "No."

"Look, I know you think he's going to hurt everyone you love but-"

Her head snapped up and she looked at me. Even with the rain I could see she was crying again. "I don't think, I know. He will hurt you and my family, Noah. I can't let him do that."

I watched the anger build up inside her. Words she hasn't said were swirling around in her eyes. The dam she created to hold everything back was beginning to crumble around her and I know from experience that in order to finally feel free you have to let the dam break.

"Go ahead." I encouraged. "Scream."

She stood up and faced me. The rain was coming down harder so I had to squint to see her. "Honestly, Noah, I wish you would just stay the fuck out of my business!" She yelled. She spit the words at me and they hurt but I let her go on. Confused tears ran down her face and mixed in with the rain. "I'm just so damn frustrated. I-I- you left me, Noah! I didn't know what to do I was all alone and then Jake-he-he picked me back up, you know and then I didn't do anything and he started taking his anger out on me. Noah, I don't know what to do but I can't let anyone get hurt! I'm so confused and angry and hurt-" She threw her head back and screamed. I couldn't tell if it was in fury or what but at least she got it out. Her scream ended but she kept her face pointed towards the gray clouds. She slowly looked back down at me and sat next to me again. "I'm sorry-I-"

"You can't put everyone before yourself and think that you're protecting them." I said above the rain. "And I'm not saying I understand why Jake does this because I don't, no one should ever have to go through what he puts you through, but sometimes when you try to fix someone, you can cut yourself on their broken pieces. You got cut trying to fix me and Jake got cut trying to fix you. It's a vicious cycle but I think I can be careful enough if you would just let me try."

"You think I need to be fixed?" She asked, focused back on the small puddle at her feet.

"I think you need to be built up again. Don't make the same mistake I did, Jay. Don't push me away." I fought to keep my words from drowning with the rain. She needed to hear me.

She brought her eyes back to meet mine and she said, "I used to have a kinda big crush on you when we were kids."

My heart jumped into my throat and I tried to imagine her having a crush on me. For so long I was too scared to move past best friend. "And now?" I asked.

"And now I have Jake." She took in a deep shattery breath and I got up off of my swing. I stood in front of her and held out my hand. She took it and stood up with me. The rain dripped from the ends of my hair into my eyes but I blinked them away. We just stood there for a moment, the only thing between us were the rain drops until I crushed her body against mine and held her tight. "Noah, what are you doing?" She whispered in my ear, her arms still by her sides. "If someone sees-"

"I'm going to hug you so tight your broken pieces stick back together." I mumbled back. "Just let me in, Jay. Let me in and we'll do this together just like we used to."

Slowly and carefully her arms rose and she wrapped them around me, hugging me back.

"HEY!" A deep husky voice boomed through the rain. Jami instantly shot out of my arms and she gasped.

"Jake-" She trembled.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:56 pm
TaylorLove says...

Jami

I hugged him tight. We could do this together. I could be myself again and I could get my friend back. When I was just having the highest of hopes, my dreams feel fast to the ground. "HEY!" Jake screams, his voice piercing through the rain, making my heart beat quicken.

"Jake-" I tremble, pulling away as quick as I can.

"What the hell are you doing?" He barks.

I try to speak, but words don't come out.

"Get over here now!" He demands.

I was about to walk and suffer pain again, but something inside of me feels stronger knowing that Noah was beside me. "N-No." I stammer, but he could not hear me.

"What?" He says.

"I said, No." I tell him. "I will not be around you anymore. I will not let you put me through hell."

Noah stands in front of me protectively and I try to fight my shaking body. Jake starts running toward me, but Noah keeps him off of me and pushes him on the ground. "Don't touch her." He hisses. "Ever."

"You are going to pay for this." He spits and gets up, running into the forest.

At that moment, it felt like there was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, but I could not figure out what was bothering me still. I pushed the thought out of my head and looked to Noah. "Thank you." I whisper, but he just nodded. I guess he knew that was what I was going to say.

Then, my heart sunk into my chest again. "What?" He asks.

"Noah, my parents." I shake. He grabs my arm, pulling me into his jeep. He is a lot faster that me and I was about to face plant, but he caught me. I get into his jeep and we speed to my house.

I try calling my mom's phone, but she was not answering. "Noah! She is not picking up!" My mind thinks the worst.

"Keep calling." He screams over the rain.

I do. My mind was on the phone. I text and called but no reply. The moment I looked up I begin to scream. "NOAH WATCH OUT!" It was too late, the car rammed into my side of the car and I was out.

--

I woke up and the room was white. I blink a few times to fix my vision, the lights were bright. "She's awake." I hear a voice say, it sounding like my mom's.

"Mommy." I say, trying to find her. My eyes adjust and I find myself in the hospital. I try to think of the last thing I remember. I remember trying to save her from Jake and the pain, the car. "Mom, did he hurt you?" I cry.

"Did who hurt me baby?" She asks, coming over and stroking my head.

"Jake. He said I would pay. I thought he was going to hurt you." I sob into her.

"No baby, he hurt you. He was the one that hit you with the car." She says. "Why didn't you tell us sooner?" She asks.

"He said he would hurt you and I wanted to keep you safe." I whisper.

She strokes my head and rocks me back and forth like a child. The doctor comes in and smiles. "Don't worry Jami, he can't hurt you any more. You will not see him again. He did hurt you pretty bad though. You are lucky you lived." He says.

I look around and see my dad, then my eyes fell upon Noah."What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I was not going to let my best friend be stuck in a hospital all by herself. I was worried." He told me. I looked down and my broken leg and my arm. The doctor said that most of the bones on the right side of my body were broken. "You are safe now Jay." He told me.

I smile and nod. "I can be me again." I said.

"I missed you." He told me.

"I missed you too." I confessed.

My parents stood up and came over and kissed me. "We have to work, but Noah said he was going to stay." My dad said.

I nodded and they left. "I brought you something." He said, smirking.

"What?" I ask, getting excited.

"Your favorite movie." He smiles, putting out The Little Mermaid.

"You are the best in the world." I scream, but my voice was not all there. He put it in and pressed play. "Come sit." I say, patting the bed.

He nods and comes and sits with me. We use to do this all the time when we were kids. Watch movies in the bed. "I brought popcorn." he says, handing me a bag.

"You know me so well." I laugh. "Thank you, for everything." Thanking him for more than just the popcorn and the movie. "I really hope we can go back to the way things were."
-Winnie the Pooh

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:54 pm
thelostone says...

Noah

I kept visiting Jami in the hospital until she was released. School was lonely but I went almost three years at school without Jami so I tolerated it. She was finally out of her casts and only had a sling around her arm. She walked with a slight limp but with physical therapy it'll go away. With Jake in jail, her smiles became less fake and she quit cheerleading. She was finally beginning to let the world see the Jami I knew. But as the days flew by the day I dreaded most was approaching fast and now today is that day.

When I woke up my stomach was already in knots. Thankfully this year it landed on a Saturday so I didn't have to worry about school. I slowly made my way downstairs and instantly I could tell Mom felt it too. She was sitting on the couch staring blankly off into space. I sat down next to her and she took my hand in her lap.

"Are you okay?" I asked even though I already knew the answer. Of course she wasn't.

"Yeah." Her words contradicted the shine of the water on her cheeks. She took a deep breath and stood up. "I love you so much, Noah."

"I love you too, Mom." I said back.

"Come on, let's get breakfast." She smiled and lead me into the kitchen. She opened the fridge and pulled out some orange juice. She poured it in a glass and handed it to me. "What do you want? I can make that french toast casserole your dad loved."

I put my orange juice down because suddenly it tasted bitter. "Actually Mom, I'm not hungry. I think I'm going to go back to bed."

She looked at me with empathy and nodded. "I would like it if you would come down during the party later."

"Why, so everyone can tell me they're sorry?" I spat, leaning over the railing of the stairs. "Sorry isn't going to bring him back, Mom."

"I know." She said so soft that I could hardly hear it. Her eyes filled up with tears again and I hurried up to my room. This is the worse part of it all: watching everyone cry. Soon the house would be full of family friends and people I haven't met who claim to know my dad more than I did. They'll all be here, all crying, all remembering my dad.

I threw myself onto my bed and closed my eyes. I just want today to be over with. My phone buzzed on my nightstand and it was from Jami. She said something about coming over. I was just about to text her back but a knock on my door stopped me. It swung open and Jami bounded in, jumping on my bed. Her blonde ponytail swung behind her.

"If you came here to say sorry I don't want to hear it." I snapped as she walked in.

"I'm didn't." She said and lied down next to me. I heard more words come out of her mouth but I didn't listen to any of it. The dark place I dug myself out of sophomore year was calling out to me again. "Hey!" She poked my rib and I shot out of my bed.

"Noah, I know what today is and I know it's difficult for you but you can't do this." She said.

"Do what?" I seethed.

"This!" Jami's hands flew in the air as she gestured to me. "Sulk and hide in your room. You need to man up, I mean today should be the day where you look back and celebrate his life."

"I don't want to talk about this, Jay." I sighed and sat in my desk chair.

"Are you really going to do this again?" Jami's face crumpled up in hurt. "I thought you cared about losing me. Why fight for me when you're going to push me away again? You told me to let you in when Jake was here and I did. Why is it so difficult for you to let me in?"

"Jami, I said I don't want to talk about it!" I yelled and she flinched. She stood up and paused before leaving.

"Why do you do this?" She asked softly. Jami stood in the doorframe and looked back at me. When I didn't answer she left and this time she didn't look back. Instinctively, I pulled my Nike's out from under my bed and put them on. I flew down the stairs and out the door before Mom could stop me. As soon as my feet hit the pavement I was off. With each step I pushed off of the ground harder and propelled myself faster down the road. For the first time, no matter how hard I ran or how fast I couldn't seem to shake this giant weight on my shoulders. Guilt, that's what it was. It started when Dad died and ever since it's been in my system, diluting my bloodstream. Nothing I did made it go away. In fact, everything I've done recently has made it worse. I should've let Mom cook breakfast for me and laugh with her about when Dad used to try to make french toast. I should've talked to Jami when Dad died, I should've talked to her just now. I should've done lots of things that I didn't and now they're dragging me back to that place I was at freshmen year and alone, I don't have the courage to do anything about it.

I'd been running for over an hour and I walked the short distance back to my house. I walked inside and if it was any other day than today Mom would've yelled at me but today she just glanced sadly at me then continued to dust the pictures of Dad on the mantle. Once I was upstairs I stripped and got in the shower. I forced myself to focus on what I was doing because if I let myself think today, I might fall apart right here in the shower.

Grab the shampoo, Noah

I took the bottle and numbly squeezed some of the opaque gel into my hand. I ran my hands through my hair and watched the beads of water drip down the tiles.

After I was clean and dressed I contemplated on going downstairs but the loud chatter and laughter floated up to my room through the floorboards and I grew nauseous. More and more people arrived and I needed to get out of here. I decided to make a run for it so I shoved my phone in my pocket and quickly went down the stairs. When I got to the bottom, someone grabbed my shoulder before I could slide out of the door. I whipped around and it was a middle aged man. His black hair was slicked back and he was wearing a suit and tie.

"You must be Noah." He beamed and patted my back. "I used to work with your father. He was a great man. I'm sorry for your loss."

I shrugged his hand off of my body and turned to leave but I bumped into my mom. "Noah, I'm glad you came down. Mr. Euler and I were just laughing about the time when your dad refused to take the car to the shop."

"He called and recruited me and even with the both of us working on it the damn thing still wouldn't start." The man who grabbed me on the stairs laughed along with Mom.

I wriggled away horrified. How can they be laughing today? I dashed out of the front door and jumped in my jeep. I need to leave, I can't be here. I can't go to the park, it'd be too crowded today. I realized I didn't have a specific destination so I pulled over on the side of the road and rested my head on the wheel. I can't do this by myself and I pushed away the only person I want here with me. I pulled out my phone and stared at Jami's contact. She's right, why did I fight to get her back if I'm just going to lock her out again?

I pressed her number and it began to ring. I slowly held it to my ear and after a couple rings she answered it.

"What do you want, Noah?" She said. Her voice wasn't angry but it wasn't excited either.

I don't know. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I locked you out and I'm sorry if I hurt you but I can't do this on my own. Meet me at the soccer fields at school. I'll be on the bench." I hung up so she couldn't reject me and turned the key to start my car again. I merged back onto the road and headed towards the school.

It was empty which is to be expected since it's a Saturday. I climbed the fence that surrounded the field and sat on the bench waiting for Jami. I waited for a while and for a moment I thought she wasn't going to come but I turned around to look and a familiar blonde haired girl was struggling to climb over the fence.

"This better be good." She sighed, brushing the dirt off of her knees. "I had to climb that stupid fence with my sling." She craddled her arm and sat down next to me.

"I thought you weren't going to come." I admitted. This time it was my turn to avoid looking her in the eyes. I picked a patch of grass to talk to.

"Originally, I wasn't going to." She said. "But I remembered what happened when I stopped trying last time and I don't want that to happen again."

"It wasn't your fault." I said quietly. I opened my mouth to say more but nothing came out. I wanted so desperately to tell her everything. My dad, the guilt, everything but something inside me was begging me not to tell her.

"Why did you call me here?" She asked.

"I-I wanted to talk to you." I cleared my throat. I took a moment to choose my words and then I spoke. "Three years ago when my dad died I didn't know what to do. I was blinded by grief and I didn't realize you'd be there for me. I tried so hard to avoid everyone. I thought that if I was alone that at least I'd be safe. I wouldn't have to go through the pain of losing someone again. I stayed in my room and I didn't come out unless my mom was at work. I didn't even go to his funeral, Jami. I couldn't take it, him being gone and everyone saying they're sorry. I broke and I was alone. Months went by and I noticed that even though I was safe from getting hurt, I was hurting others. My mom just lost her husband and at the same time she lost her son too. She was so strong during all of this, she found a way to turn the anniversary of his death into a day of celebrating our memories of him. With her help I got better but every year on this day I break again. People say that it gets better with time but I think that's complete bullshit. What happens to a wound over time? Yeah, it heals but there's still a mark. It grows scar tissue or whatever and the pain doesn't hurt as much but it's still there, Jay." The words kept coming out of my mouth and now that they were I felt relieved. "This day every year Mom holds this remembrance party and every year I lock myself in my room trying to numb myself from the pain. I just- I feel so guilty, Jami. I left my mom to deal with this alone, she always visits his grave by herself she always remembers him by herself and here I am his selfish kid who pushes away everyone so he doesn't get hurt. I just need you, Jay. I need you to help make me stronger. I have to get rid of this giant weight on my shoulders but I can't do it alone."

Jami took my hand and entwined our fingers. "You're not alone, Noah. I'm here." She stood up and pulled me up with her. "I think we should go visit him. I haven't said goodbye to Mr. Harding yet either." I hesitantly followed her to the fence. She could tell by the look on my face that I still wasn't ready. "You can stay in the car, but I'd like to talk to him."

I nodded and we hopped over the fence and into her car. She pulled out of the school parking lot and drove to Woodfield Cemetery where my dad was buried. She parked and unbuckled her seat belt. When I did the same she looked over at me, concerned. "You don't have to come." She said. "I just want to say goodbye."

"Me too." I said. She nodded and we got out of the car. She grasped my hand again and I was thankful she was here to keep me from falling apart. We searched the rows for the tombstone and eventually Jami found it. We stood in front of it and Jami read the headstone.

"James Henry Harding, 1972-2013" She knelt down in front of the slab of granite and ran her fingers through the grass. "I'm sorry you had to leave before it was your time. You deserved to live longer but life has a way of taking things from us. I miss you Mr. Harding. You always used to tell Noah and I jokes and give us rides to school. I'm sorry you didn't get more time with your family. You were and are still loved. We miss you."

She got up and turned to leave but I took two steps closer to the headstone. Like Jami had, I fell to my knees and closed my eyes. "Dad, I'm so sorry." I whispered to the ground. "I'm so sorry about everything. I love you so much and I didn't know what to do when you left. I'm sorry I didn't take care of Mom, I'm sorry I wasn't there when she needed me to be, and I'm sorry if I let you down." Tears began to leak out of my closed eyes. I squeezed them tighter and the drops fell onto the grass. "I miss you, Dad." I choked out. I felt a hand on my back and I knew it was Jami. I wiped away my tears and stood up. As I walked back to her car I felt different. The weight was gone and for once in three years I felt free.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:51 am
TaylorLove says...

Jami

We both needed that. Noah more than I, but we both needed to say goodbye. The weight lifted off Noah's shoulders was so big that I could feel it too. I reach out for his hand and take it. "I am proud of you mister." I tell him.

"Thanks, Jay." He says, leading me back to my car.

"I know, what would you ever do with out me?" I joke, hopping into the drivers seat and pulling out.

"I would be living the good life." He jokes back.

I roll my eyes. "You better be glad I only have one arm and that arm is to steer the car."

"I know, I would be is so much pain." He pretends to cry.

"That's right, be very afraid." I smile. I pull into the school parking lot and get out. "Well this is where me must depart for the day." I tell him. "I have to go to physical therapy." I sigh.

"Have fun." He jokes. He gives me a quick hug and then we both get into the car and depart.

--

I wake up the next morning and get excited. Even though I wanted to lay in bed, I did not have to wear the stupid slink. I could use my arm. I get into the shower to wake myself up. I braided my hair to the side, because I had the hands to do it.

I could hear the wind hitting my windows, so I put one of my jackets on. It was one of Noah's that I stole a long time ago. I put my head phones into my ears and put Royals on. For some reason, I just loved this song. I also knew that Noah hated it, which made me want to listen to it more.

I jump into my car and drive to school. It was my first day back and I was happy. I parked my car and walked into school. I noticed my limp was getting a little better. I say Noah in the hallway and walk over to him. I was still listening to Royals so I sang to him. "And will never be Royals." Before I can sing more, he puts his hand over my mouth.

"No." He laughs.

I pout and sigh. "I know you love it when I sing." I stick my tongue out.

"I do, but don't sing that." He says. "Isn't that my jacket?"

I smile sweetly. "Yes." He just rolls his eyes. "Can you guys come for thanksgiving?" I ask. "Now, that we are friends, we can carry on the tradition."

"I think so." He says.

"Good." I tell him. "I missed that the last few years."

"Me too." He says. "See you at lunch." He tells me.

"Okay, bye!" I walk to math and sit down. For a moment I wonder. I told him how I felt about him, but we have not worried about it since. I guess that means he does not feel the same. I was expecting that anyway, so I can't feel sorry for myself. Now, it is time to get lost in the world of math.
-Winnie the Pooh

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:14 am
thelostone says...

Noah

Thanksgiving rolled around and from my room I could smell the sweet potato casserole Mom was making in the kitchen. With a loud bang, Parker burst into my room. "So, I heard you and Jami are cool again." He pushed by me and began to rummage through my drawers.

"Where'd you hear that?" I asked even though I'm pretty sure I don't want to know the answer. For a twelve year old, Parker's got major hacking skills. I learned that lesson the hard way. Parker found what he was looking for and shoved the crisp dollar bill into his pocket. When he turned to leave I grabbed him by the collar. "Give it back. That's my money, go get your own damn job and stop taking my paycheck."

"Chill." He held his hands up in surrender. "I need ten bucks to buy Natalie a present. Her birthday is-"

I stopped him mid sentence. "Wait, who's Natalie?"

"Doesn't matter, what matters is I need ten bucks and you have it." He wriggled out of my grasp but I pushed him back and blocked the door.

"Mom has money, ask her." I lunged for the bill sticking out of his jacket pocket but he moved away.

"You know Mom! She'll interrogate me asking if she's my girlfriend and what I'm getting her and all that shit."

"I'm going to tell Mom you stole my money and cussed." I threatened. For a split second he froze in fear but he quickly recovered his facade.

"Who's the twelve year old, again?" A wicked grin crawled across his face. "After all, we're going to the Edward's house for thanksgiving in an hour and if you say anything to Mom I'll show Jami that video of you singing *Nsync in the shower."

I pinned him to the wall and glared at him. "You wouldn't."

Parker's smile grew bigger across his freckled face. "You really want to try me? Also, invite her over more often. I like older women."

"I'm sure she loves four foot tall seventh graders." I spat.

"And I'm sure she loves guys who listen to nineties boy bands." He said. "YOU MAY HATE ME BUT IT AIN'T NO LIE BABY BYE BYE BYE!" He shrieked and ran out of my room maniacally laughing.

"You little shit!" I called after him. That video was years ago, Jami wouldn't care. I was a weird kid and we were still best friends. Despite me continuously reassuring myself she wouldn't care there was still a little corner of doubt in my mind. After I took a quick shower and Mom's dessert was done, we made the small trek across the street to Jami's house.

"I have to admit, I'm glad you and Jami fixed whatever happened." Mom said to me as she rang the doorbell. "I miss the Edward's."

"Me too, Mom." Parker smiled up at me. God, what a little ass.

Jami opened the door and she looked gorgeous. She was wearing an oversized cranberry colored sweater and leggings and her hair was in perfect waves. She smiled and let us in. There was a giant turkey sitting on the dinning room table and Mom set her casserole down next to it. "You're out of your sling." I said and she nodded.

"Yeah, physical therapist cleared me yesterday. I'm practically brand new.I'm really glad you guys could come." She said. "My parents are in the kitchen finishing up the vegetables." Mom nodded and headed towards the kitchen.

"Hey, Jay." Parker winked. For some reason it really annoyed me when he called her that. That's my nickname for her, not his or anyone else's.

"Go screw yourself." I tried to shoo him away but Jami shot me a look and hugged Parker.

"Hello, Parker. Happy Thanksgiving. You look so much older now! I haven't seen you in forever." She gushed and I watched as he soaked it all up.

"I've been told my voice is deeper too." He smirked. "I'm practically a man now. I don't know why you bother with Noah when I'm available. I mean for godsake he sings-"

I quickly covered his mouth with my hands and smiled at Jami. "Would you excuse us for a moment?"

She nodded and laughed as she walked into the kitchen to join our parents. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I hissed and took my hand off of his mouth. "I gave you my ten dollars now would you shut up? Jami and I are fixing our relationship and I'm trying to take it to the place I wanted to be before Dad died but I can't do that when you're constantly making me look like an idiot."

"You make yourself look like an idiot." Parker wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "All I do is provide the evidence."

"I swear to god-" Mom walked in carrying a steaming bowl of green beans and looked at us suspiciously so I switched my sentence. "I can't wait to eat!" I cried a little too enthusiastically.

"Come on, boys." Mom waved us over to the table. Jami and her parents came in and we said grace then dug in. Our parents discussed school and college and Parker chimed in with annoying remarks. I didn't listen to most of it, I mostly watched Jami and then turned away when she met my gaze. When we finished I helped her clear the table and our parents when into the living room to talk more.

"Hey, uh, can I talk to you?" I touched her shoulder and she nodded. I glanced at Parker who was lingering in the door way and added, "In private?"

She lead me upstairs and when I realized where she was taking me I was a little nervous. I haven't been in her room since we were kids. She opened the door and not a lot had changed. The posters of teenage popstars were taken off of her wall and her bookshelf wasn't filled with stuffed animals anymore. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?"

I rubbed the back of my neck and sighed. "Okay, look. That day when we were on the playground you said you used to have a crush on me, is there a possibility that you still have one?" I asked sheepishly.

She smiled and sat down on her bed. "Possibly." She patted the spot on the bed next to her and I joined her.

"Um, Remember in eighth grade we went to Tommy Muller's party and we were put in his closet for seven minutes of heaven?" I asked and she nodded so I continued. "And how we didn't do anything because we were afraid of ruining our friendship? Well that was years ago and since then I've realized that in order to live life to the fullest you have to take risks and put faith in the people you love. So even though I'm terrified of losing you again, I have to take this risk and I have to have faith that we'll always be at least some form of friends and this all made sense in my head but now that I'm saying it I realize I should just shut up and kiss you." I crashed my lips to hers and then pulled away. "I had to do that at least once because it's haunted me since eighth grade." I whispered.

She grinned then placed her hand on my cheek. Before I made sense of what was happening she was kissing me again and so I leaned her back onto the bed and kissed her harder. We pulled away to catch our breaths and she looked up at me. "So what does that make us now? Boyfriend and girlfriend or whatever?"

"Or whatever." I smiled back then kissed her gently before pulling away again. Her phone buzzed loudly on her bed and she grabbed it. When she clicked it open her face went sheet white. "What is it?" I crawled over to the edge of her bed and read the text over her shoulder.

Guess who got bailed out, bitch?

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:08 am
TaylorLove says...

Jami

I blink fast to keep the tears away. "Jami.." Noah drifts off.

"He ruins everything." I whisper.

"He doesn't have to," He begins, setting his hand on my shoulder, but I stand up and walk into the corner of my bed room.

"Please don't make it harder, Noah." I say. He walks over to me and pins me gently against the wall. Not in a seductive, but a way to make me feel safe. It was a reminder of what a could not have. My mind was telling me to push him off so I could keep everyone safe, but my heart was longing for his gentle touch. "Please, we can't do this. I don't want anyone to get hurt again."

"I will keep you safe, Jay." Noah tell me. "I promise you that. I will not let him hurt you again."

"If he sees us together, I don't even know what he will do. What if he tries to hurt you, or my family?" I ask, tears streaming down my face.

"I will not let that happen, again." He says.

"How, Noah?" I ask, as he wipes the tears away from my eyes.

He thinks for a minute. "Then we will not be a couple," He was about to say more, but I cut him off.

"But I want.." I begin but he cuts me off, the same way I did him.

"You did not let me finish." He smirks, trying to lighten the mood. "I was going to say, then we will not be a couple in public. Then, he will not suspect anything. That way, I can still do this," He say as he leans in and kisses me. I wrap my arms around his neck.

Even though I did not like that we had to hide, I still wanted to be with him. If this was what we would have to do then, we will do it. I pull away and lay my head on his chest.

"I will keep you safe, Jay. I just got you back. I will not let him take you away again." He says.

I nod. "I trust you." I smile. I yawn and sigh. "I am getting tired. Will you tell my parents about what happened. I don't want to cry again." I say.

He nods and begins to leave but I stop him. "You will come back up to say goodbye, right?" I ask.

"Of course." He says.

He walked out the door and I sat up in my bed. Despite all of this shit, I was thankful to have a guy that was going to keep me safe.
-Winnie the Pooh

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy