Stolen (By Auxiira and Skydreamer)

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:36 pm
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

Spoiler! :
Name: Shell or Project-906

Personality: She's discovering herself. She is by "nature" a quiet and kindhearted person though. The rest she discovers.

Position/role/story: She has been kidnapped by a scientist who has been recruited to "fix" her. She was suppose to be a fully healthy and almost perfect (especially in mental capacity and physical health) human. She was designed to outlive all of us, to have heightened senses, to be brilliant. But then she became blind at the training and mobilization center. They went frantic trying to figure out what to do with her. Then one day as she was sent to do some errands in the normal world in order to practice being blind yet still of use, she was kidnapped and sent to the scientist in Russia.

Appearance: She has dirty blonde hair and clear glass like blue eyes that are her contacts. Her real eyes are much lighter and almost white. She has a golden sort of tone to her features, healthy skin, healthy youthful look about her as well. Her eyebrows are very thick and brown and she has pretty full lips for her small face and body. She's not very tall at all, around 5'5 . Picture of her exact features below:

Shell

I could feel. My hands reached up into my hair, it was intact, I rubbed into my scalp feeling, and feeling. I stopped. I felt it, a scar--a bump--pain. I was lying down somewhere, I could feel the rough bedding material under me, my back was in some kind of unknown pain, my legs were immobile. I couldn't move them, I tried to once again, but they refused to move. My heart quickened. I was afraid. It was a nasty feeling, fear. It left you bare, vulnerable.

I tried to sit up but the pain in my back was restricting any sort of upper-body movement. My mind was not clear, it felt heavy, as if something was there, right there in my thoughts, something of weight. Suddenly the thought of weight brought to my mind emptiness. The emptiness all around me, the hollow empty feeling in my mind contrasting the thick weight, the emptiness in my understanding of my surroundings. What was I doing there? Who was I? The more I thought of it the more empty everything seemed. And dark. I then realized that there was darkness all around me, I could feel, I surely could for the aching in my back had suddenly increased, as if the fact that my mind was active was affecting it. I could feel but I could not see, or at least what I knew to be sight.

Had I always been blind? Or had it just happened recently? I would never know. I couldn't remember a thing, not one thing about my yesterday, only about twenty minutes ago when I was off dreaming about being out on a beach somewhere, with stars twinkling above me, covered in darkness, but not full darkness. Perhaps I wasn't always blind. Wait a minute, how did I know I wasn't just closing my eyes and blocking my sight? But I knew. I could tell, yet I lifted a finger to my pupil that was wide open and careful pressed onto the wet soft silky surface of my eye. It stung a little and my eyelids tried to protect my eye's surface from further disturbance.

The urge to get up came over me again and I attempted this time with more passion fighting the band that held my feet down. I fought for a while to no avail. The band was digging into my skin and I stopped not wanting anymore pain. It seemed like as I was struggling the pain in my back and had doubled. Why is it hurting so bad? I wondered. I was breathing hard trying to compose myself but I couldn't my heartbeats kept accelerating, as I tried to slow it down it would just beat faster and faster.

I was panting in short breaths. The darkness was consuming me, it seemed, taking my breaths, taking my presence away. I was coughing, chocking, the taste of iron filled my throat and I gurgled out something warm thick and sticky onto my hands, I instantly noted it as blood. I was glad I could not see. Just as I was to cough up another fitful I heard the sound of double doors opening, or at least what my mind told me, automatically, were double doors. Somehow the image of double doors flashed before me. I knew what they were, but I've never once seen one. At least not recently judging by my current state.

I heard a voice then, somebody was speaking, it was a hushed tone, and the person was not speaking to me. I started to cough up again, though interrupted by the unexpected sound. But this time the blood did not end up on my hands, but on something else. I heard the sound of it hitting some plastic, was that a bag? How did I know these things? I tried to breathe but it was a disaster and I just started coughing once again.

"Stop breathing!" The voice was clear. Clear, sharp, precise, accented. What I immediately recognized as a Russian accent. I did as I was told, automatically, like a robot. I held my breath and as I did something sharp was injected into my skin; I felt as whatever substance the injection had entered into my bloodstream clouded my mind. The darkness if possible, got darker, and then I started dreaming again.
Last edited by Skydreamer on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:05 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Spoiler! :
Name: Dmitri Leonov

Personality:

Position/role/story:

Appearance: Image
I swear I'll finish this, I was assuming that you'd like to have the post before the prof...

Dmitri Sergeyevich Leonov

I climbed down from the taxi, cutting around to get my rucksack
from the back before paying the driver. He drove off with a wave, leaving me in front of my house. It had become even more like a laboratory since the last time. It was annoying how my dad changed the house every time I left.

I hefted my rucksack onto my shoulder and made my way towards the house. I noted the guards circling around the house and frowned. What's going on? They hadn't been there a year ago. I continued forwards a bit more cautiously, not sure whether they were meant to be there or not. Knowing Dad, they probably were, but I could never be sure with him. He was wrapped up in so many different things.

The only new thing about the door was a screen, set in the middle, but it wasn't on. I watched it carefully anyway as I pushed down on the door handle. It didn't budge. I tightened my grip and tried again. This time, a red light filtered through my fingers, then something pricked my index just as I let go. I locked away the tiny drop of blood as I glared at the screen which had suddenly flickered to life.

"DNA sample and prints acquired. Scanning international databases." The cool female voice emanated from a speaker just above my head, startling me slightly. Pictures spun across the screen, one after the other, finally stopping on a photo I recognised from my passport. "Dmitri Sergeyevich Leonov. Nineteen. Russian." It calmly reeled off my birthdate and my social security number. It marked a short pause, then the screen turned green. "Authorised."

I frowned at the door as I passed through. Since when did I have to be authorised to enter my own home? The frown was quickly replaced by a slightly stunned expression as a smiling face entered my vision.

"Welcome home, Master Dmitri! How was your gap year?"

"Okay." I replied slowly, wondering who this person was. All I wanted to do was crash in my room and get used to being back home and here she was, right in my face.

"Oh, I am sorry. I am Anna, Professor Leonov's secretary. He is working right now, but he asked me to welcome you back." The smile didn't waver, as if it was made of plastic. I already missed the easy smiles of the people I had met on my travels. I doubted that my dad had even remembered that I existed, let alone told someone to welcome
me.

"Thank you," I replied, despite my doubts about her sincerity. "Do you know when I'll be able to see him?" We needed to settle a few things between us.

"I do not, sorry. He is extremely busy with his latest project. He hardly every leaves the lab." I nodded. That sounded a lot like him. It was fine by me. The less I saw of him, the less we hurt each other.

"It must be an important one, with all of the security. Even the house has been changed." Yet again. It was a sour thought. The house and photos were the only things we had left of mum, and he was destroying one of them. Sometimes I wondered whether he remembered that he had been married once or not. I wasn't even sure he remembered anything except for his work.

"I am not authorised to disclose the content of the Professor's project, Master Dmitri."

"Ah, that's okay." I flashed her a smile, then headed towards the stairs. "I'll just be in my room."

"Master Dmitri," her voices stopped me short in my tracks, "we must ask that you do not enter the lab, under any circumstances." Even though her request made me even more curious, I nodded obediently.

"Of course, Anna." I turned and took the steps two by two up to the third floor, dumping my rucksack just next to my bedroom door before flopping down on my sofa.
"We" was the government, I was almost certain of it. And then there was the project. The secrecy and caution surrounding it just made me want to know more. I stared at the ceiling absently as I lay back, letting my thoughts go for the moment. After a while, I drifted to sleep, not even bothering to move to the bed.

I half woke up, but didn't get up when the door cracked open a few hours later and my dad crept in, trying his best not to make any noise. He tutted when he saw me asleep on the sofa and covered me with a blanket. I felt his gaze on me for a while, then he suddenly turned and left, leaving me alone in the dark with thoughts swirling through my head, unstoppable.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

159 Reviews

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:24 am
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

Shell

When I came to I was sitting up. The "bed" I had been lying on apparently could be half lifted up in order to make me a chair. The pain that had been racking my back was as if it never exsisted and I felt somewhat awkward. Instead of finding complete silence being in the room all by myself, I heard a soft humming of some sort of machine to the back of me. I wasn't sure whether I should get up again and start walking or stay put. I had a vauge memory of hearing a voice. It belonged to a male. It was Russian. My mind was trying to tell me something but I couldn't quite grasp it. The heaviness that I had been exempted from since waking up came back to me and I felt like my brain weighed a ton. My hand involuntarily went up to my head holding it, reacting to the very unusual, very strange feeling. And because everything around me was pitch black my senses focused on other things.

I quickly picked up the smell of old dusty books that got stronger once I noticed it. Then the ticking of a clock somewhere to my far left. There was an intelligent sense to the room, I could tell that it was probably a study of some sort. As to why I would be in a study, I could not think of an explanation. It also though had the terrible smell of various chemicals I did not know. I found it strange that I even recognized the smell of chemicals until a quick memory flashed before me, I was in a lab and people were looking over me, I could see. My brain was operating but I could not feel any other parts of my body. I was just a brain, a head. I shook my head and released the grip I had maintained on it throughout my reflection.

I heard noises outside the door, a new voice I had not heard piqued up and I leaned forward and strained my ears in order to hear it.

"Your son is back, Master Leonov," the new voice said. Then a familiar one replied with a sort of sadness to his tone. Sadness I have never really felt, yet I understood completely.

"Yes, I saw the entrance screen through my phone,"

"I welcomed him and told him not to enter the lab." the new voice was female. She sounded very pleased with herself.

"Good." was the simple reply. I heard footsteps coming closer so I decided to fake being asleep. I didn't trust the man, and why should I? Everything was so foreign to me I wondered if I was dreaming or awake, alive or dead. The double doors opened and I heard the quiet sound of electronic buttons being clicked. Something was happening. My "bed" was retracting and I was now once again flat on my back. Fear rippled through me. Their conversation continued.

"Is there something I should do specifically to welcome him?" She asked. There were moments of silence, no, not silence really, but silence from him. I heard all kinds of strange noises of electronics and heard things opening up electronically and mechanically. The fear in me continued to rise. "No?" she asked incredulously. The man must have shook his head because I never heard a sound from him. "There must be something! What about just chocolates, everybody likes chocolates!" Somehow I didn't like her. Something in me just wouldn't accept her happy attitude and the shrill tone of her small voice. Still she made me feel more comfortable than the man who I sensed had gotten closer to me and was pushing buttons causing a band to form around my legs locking me in place again. I wanted to thrash out again but I was afraid of what he might do. I also didn't want to have to dream again. If I dreamed too much I would have no sense of reality. And sometimes the dreams made me feel fear, fear which I hated so much, fear that was ripping through me now.

"You're dismissed Anna." the man's voice said. It was so close to me I shivered, then hoped he didn't notice. There was another moment of silence, as if the woman was considering saying something or defying the man. I had a feeling she would never defy him since she called him "Master" such a serious word. How I knew this I wasn't sure. Finally I heard her heels tap the floor as she left swiftly. Then I felt the presence of the man hovering above my body. I froze. My heart was beating so fast and so loud I believed I heard it. I didn't know what he was going to do with me. I was scared that he would inject something in me again, or worse. Worse. As soon as I felt the tip of the scalpel cutting open the flesh on my neck. I jerked up and screamed. I have never known such fear and the vibration of my voice as it came out of my mouth told me as much. When I recovered from my own voice I started to struggle out of the band that held my legs firmly in place.

I noticed they were more secure than before. "Stop! Stop, you'll bleed!" It was too late, my head felt light headed as I felt and smelled the blood oozing out of my neck where he cut, it wasn't too plentiful because he had barely touched it and did not cut a vein. The knowledge that flooded through me stunned me for a moment. He then took hold of my arms and I knew he wanted to inject me again so I fought him. He was truly struggling to get a hold of me and that gave me even more strength as I continued to fight. He suddenly stopped fighting me and I heard him take steps backwards. "Okay, okay." he was panting, out of breath. He took some time to gather himself. Then he asked, "What do you want?" I was surprised, but I knew. The first thing I wanted was to not feel restricted. I pointed downwards to what I believed was the direction of my legs, hoping he would understand. He did. Within moments the band came off and I quickly got off the bed.

I sensed immediately that he was probably armed. There was no way that he would let me stand alone with blood trickling down through the fabric draped upon me. It was the first time I acknowledged that I was clothed. That somehow gave me a sense of peace, of relief. "Let me treat your wound." he said carefully. He did not want to anger me. This made me even more relived. I still didn't want to trust him though. Yet, with my reserve and my slight fear, I nodded allowing him to come close. He took careful steps and applied some type of stinging cream on the small cut, which had only really materialized because I had jumped up, otherwise it wouldn't have been bleeding nor would I have had a serious cut. I was obviously being cut up surgically because I could feel the type of knife he was using. Yet the thought frightened me still and I knew there would have been pain. He quickly wrapped a soft cloth around the cut taping it to my neck. Then he took several steps back. Probably I suspected to retrieve his weapon.

I wanted to run. So very badly, I felt that if I was extremely fast, like Myra, I could have ran past him in bullet speed and made it to some sort of safety. But no, he had the crazy lady who called him Master. She'd probably die for him or something I thought. I thought. My mind was slowly taking shape. I even recalled someone, Myra. Myra, she seemed so distant and yet I knew exactly who she was, she was a friend, she was my teacher, my teacher in a strange place. She told me that I was disfigured but brilliant and strong. She told me she was fast. She told me that we were different. Specifically me and her, specifically everyone there. But where "there" was I couldn't recall. I remembered where I was and anger bore through me. I spoke for the first time in what seemed like, my whole life.

"Who are you?" It was the first thing that I could think of. The first thing I wanted to know. I couldn't remember anything and it was causing me confusion, frustration.

"Who am I?" he sounded amused. "You don't want to know who you are?" his English was draped in his thick Russian accent. It was the first time I realized he wasn't speaking English before when he had spoken,and that I could understand Russian. To test this ability of mine I spoke to him in his home tongue,

"это имеет значение?" does it matter? I asked. He was silent for a moment. Then he spoke to me in Russian in an almost kind voice, except that instead of kindness I heard pity and regret.

"You are not suppose to be blind. I was ordered to fix you. As a scientist and doctor I have the capability." He didn't sound too confident though.

"But, I don't mind it. Being blind is difficult, but I don't see how it matters to anyone. Why do I need to see, why am I important?" He chuckled.

"Now you are asking the right questions!" Back to English. I almost smile. But why? I don't know, the way he seems to talk to me is like that of someone who wouldn't hurt me, someone who possibly cared, someone who was human. So I reacted to it. He continued, "You matter because you are special, you have special capabilities, you can think better than anyone I know. You are meant to work for the government, a high position, a spy." I shudder. I've heard the word before, spy. A spy. I just don't know how or where. I believed him. I don't feel normal, I feel like I know too much, my brain even knows that I know too much. My brain knows more than it should and it lets me know constantly. It's a confusing feeling. My legs started to tingle and go numb because I'd been standing in the same spot for too long. I move them slowly stretching them by stepping back and front. "Why don't you sit?" he asked me. I shook my head. I had been sitting too long. "Hungry?" Just as he asked I felt a pang in my stomach.

"Yes," I said, nodding as well. I waited patiently and heard as he punched some buttons and talked to some sort of receiver.

"Could I have a sandwich? Just a sandwich. Ham and cheese, nothing too strong. Only ham and cheese, Anna. Yes. Thank you." then the line cut. There were a few minutes of silence when there was a soft knock on the door. "Lie down and act as you did before." He was suddenly closer to me and his voice was barely a whisper. I nodded though he probably didn't see it and went felt the bed a few steps behind me and lied down on it keeping silent and my eyes shut. The double doors opened and the sandwich, based on the movement I heard was passed on. Then the double doors closed. There was some time before he gave me the sandwich. I spoke up.

"I'm hungry." I told him.

"Oh! Sorry, I was thinking." He said. He handed me the sandwich. I took it. I bit into it, it tasted good, of well rared pork and recently churned cheese. I even knew how many calories I was consuming and how much strength it would give me. But when I completed it my head became heavy again and my mind could not think. I wanted to shout, to thrash, but I wasn't able to. Fear crept into me, just as sleep consumed me.

67 Reviews

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:56 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

The light coming through the window woke me. There was no one to make sure I was awake, nothing to do. Even when I had been travelling I had had something to do. I frowned and glanced over at my clock, almost falling off of my sofa as I did so. 6:18 blinked back at me in red lights. I groaned, but still rolled off of the sofa, landing on my feet and stretching. I hadn't even taken off my boots. The blanket dad had covered me with fell to the floor and I stared at it a few seconds before throwing it on my bed. I didn't know if he thought anything had changed after a year, but he wouldn't win me over with a blanket. All he wanted was an obedient model son, who succeeded in everything. I was too much like Mum for him. I sighed and headed for the door. There was no point dwelling on it when I hardly ever saw dad anyway. It was like living in an empty house.

Which was why I fully expected the kitchen to be empty. But he was sitting at the table, staring into a bowl of cereal, which floated morosely in the milk. A small cup of juice sat in front of him. I frowned slightly. He had always made a point of not eating at the same time as me. I nodded at him.
"Отец." Father. I moved around the table to the coffee machine. As I poured a cup, he tutted.

“You have a foreign accent. You have even succombed to foreign vices. How many times have I told you that coffee isn't a substance that you should drink?” It was this every time we met. He would make little cuts, try to bring me down.

“27.” I kept a tally just to show him that I listened, but that I didn't care. “The same amount of times that I have told you that it is my body to I pollute at my own will.” I frowned bitterly. “Less times than I have told you that I will not let you destroy any more of mother's memory. But still you do.” I sat down at the table, setting down my plate noisily. “But I didn't come back to fight.” I glared at my cereal. “What are you working on this time?”

“Anna has already said that I cannot tell you, so do not pry.”

“The government, yes, I assumed so, with all of the guards around.”

“I will not tell you, Dmitri. Stop being so stubborn.” It was his constant refrain. “Stop being so stubborn.” "Stop being so selfish." "Stop talking about your mother." "You are no longer a child. If you are not going to go to university, then find some work. The son I knew was not an underachiever."

"The son you knew died at the same time as his mother, Отец." I drained my cup and got up. "Of course, you didn't even notice that she died, did you?" I didn't wait for his answer, dumping everything in the dishwasher and leaving.

Once I was back in my room, I let out a shaky breath. He always made me so angry, and I didn't pay attention to what I was saying. I sat down on my bed, reaching underneath and taking out a dusty box. Inside were the pictures of my mother I had managed to save, and her rings. I frowned at the box, then set it back under the bed, not even opening it. The memories were happy, and I didn't want to taint them.

I forced myself to unpack my rucksack, putting everything through the wash, then folding it and putting it away. It seemed rather redundant, seeing as, if all went well, I wouldn't be here for more than a couple of weeks, but it was better than doing nothing. Once everything was done, I decided to go and look at the laboratories. It was the one part of the house I always had to rediscover.

The divide between our house and the lab area was clear, a white, sterile wall cutting through the old brick. I eyed it with distaste. It was never hard to get inside this part, only my dad's lab was impossible to get into. It wasn't for a lack of trying.

I smiled as I pushed open the frosted glass door, knowing that I had probably set off an alarm somewhere. It was one of the reasons I hadn't been admitted into the army. The fact that breaking into places fascinated me. My dad hadn't agreed with my decision to join the army anyway. I stuffed my hands into my pockets and made my way down the corridor, noting all of the changes, the new doors and the locks and wondering what it would take to get through those doors. They looked a lot more secure than the last time, though the lack of guards inside was strange. The last time there had been anywhere near this level of security, there had been guards in front of every door and I had been frogmarched out of the lab area.

I rounded the corner to my dad's lab, and smiled, seeing the door open slightly. I could just about hear voices on the other side, and crept forwards, trying to catch a snippet of what they were saying. I was just about in hearing range when an overly cheerful voice chirped from behind me.

"Master Dmitri! What are you doing here? The lab is strictly off limits, you have been told!" Her smile as I turned around to face her almost made me shudder. How was it possible for a human to have such an annoying smile?

"I'm sorry, Anna. I just wanted to talk with him." Which was the complete opposite of what I actually wanted to do.

"Do not disturb your father, Master Dmitri. He is a very busy, very important man. I'm sure you will see him soon." She spoke to me as if I was still a petulant child, asking to see his Papa. It set my teeth grinding. I wasn't seven anymore.

"It's fine Anna, I wouldn't want to put him out of his way. I'll be in my room, looking for jobs, if he asks. I don't want to be disturbed." She bobbed her head in an almost automatic gesture.

"Yes, Master Dmitri." She watched me vacantly until I brushed past her. My room seemed to be the only place I felt unwatched now, even in my own home.

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

159 Reviews

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:29 pm
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

Shell

"Master Dmitri! What are you doing here? The lab is strictly off limits, you have been told!"

My eyes sprung open. Pain, once again, was present. This time it was in my eyes, literally as if my eyes were burning. There was also something on them, I reached up to feel a thin cloth covering my eyes. I was too afraid to remove the cloth. Slowly I closed my eyes, trying not to trigger the burring sensation. That crazy lady and her shrill and overly happy voice! I groaned as I accidentally squeezed my eyes in frustration causing the pain to heighten. Why must I suffer in order to be fixed? I wondered. In truth I didn't want to be fixed anymore. There was another voice once again, and my ears instantly picked it up.

"I'm sorry, Anna. I just wanted to talk with him." Male. Firm. Young. I was intrigued. Before I could wonder more the woman's voice cut through my thoughts,

"Do not disturb your father, Master Dmitri. He is a very busy, very important man. I'm sure you will see him soon." I tried not to laugh at the tone she was using. I suddenly wondered if she would use the same tone for me since I was young as well, or was I? I honestly didn't know. I could not see myself. But I had a strange but prominent feeling that indeed I was quite young, I must be for a government to want me to be a spy. They don't take old spies. But how old was I? I decided that was something I would ask the Doctor.

"It's fine Anna, I wouldn't want to put him out of his way. I'll be in my room, looking for jobs, if he asks. I don't want to be disturbed." That was when the strangeness of their conversation hit me, why couldn't he come? The Doctor had a son?

"Yes, Master Dmitri." Master. There was something that still gnawed at me with the term. It seemed almost too serious, too lowly for her to even tell him what to do. So why was she? If she called him Master why couldn't he come to the lab? Then I shook. But why would he? Suddenly I didn't want to see anyone, no, I didn't want anyone seeing me. So why was he curious about the lab? Wait, what I was in was a lab? The questions swarmed me as I heard footsteps coming in. The double doors must have been a little open as the voices had been clear. Still whoever came in opened it again and entered in loudly, with the click of each heel I knew exactly who it was. Then I heard the steady chunk of steps that came from the Doctor.

"We need more security." he said it softly, yet I heard him.

"I will see to it that it's doubled." she replied.

I don't know where I got the courage but something inside me wanted to speak out.

"Why?" my voice came out hoarse and weak. There was complete silence for a few moments. I realized this was the first time that I had spoken in Anna's presence. She was the one to reply me.

"Why what?" her voice surprised me. It was not the sweet voice I expected to hear, the automatic cheerfulness and the shrill tone that could pester someone silly. No, instead it was a voice of tolerance. Like she was talking to me because she had to, not because she wanted to. And instead of making me upset, it made me happier, it made me relived, because it made her just a little bit more human.

"Why-why, why do I need security?"

"Well, you are super important my dear! We don't want anyone to ever bother you. You need to stay right where you are and be very obedient to everything we say! Then you'll work for one of the best governments in the world and live a very happy life!" Now she was back to frightening me. Her voice dripped in cheeriness and it scared me terribly. Her chorus also sounded carefully rehearsed. As if she expected me to question my position. I didn't want her near me.

"Anna, you are dismissed." His voice made me jump, it wasn't shouting, yet it was very loud. More like booming in a serious tone. She left right after. I even heard a spring to her step. "Don't make me have to drug you, 906." He then said to me. Ah, so that's why I keep sleeping. His tone was more tense and serious than before. I wondered what changed. I didn't say anything though and felt him come closer to me. He stopped in front of me and carefully peeled the cloth from my eyes. "Keep them closed." Before I could say anything else he covered my eyes with some sort of gel. It instantly cooled them down, then they started to burn, and then the pain was totally gone.

"Any progress?" I asked. He knew what I was talking about.

"No. Your eyes aren't the problem I've discovered. It's your genes. The American's really are idiots."

My mind was fighting to make a connection with what he said and my past, but none came. This angered me.

"What do you mean?!" I asked.

"Nothing you need to know. I told you too much before, I shouldn't have said anything."

"If you hadn't had said anything I would have never let you touch me again." My voice was filled with malice. It must have been a good enough threat because he kept quiet for a while and I listened as he punched random buttons that did things I could not see. I didn't want to see, especially not his face, or Anna's or anyone's! Except, except for maybe Myra's. She's the only person that I can remember. The one thing that connects me to another life, a life away from this new lab I've been restricted to. To this Doctor claiming to be fixing me while he could be killing me. It seemed more like the latter anyways. "Why is there so much pain?" I asked.

"I'm operating on you twenty times a day. There's bound to be some pain. You can handle it though. Also, sometimes I make mistakes. I'm not perfect." I wanted to scream at him. How dare he treat me like this?! Who does he think he is? But I had no strength. I was, for the moment, somewhat paralyzed. I wondered if it was something he did to me or if it was just all my confusion with all that's going on. I didn't know, and it bothered me. I wanted to know. I wanted to know exactly what was going to happen to me. And if my life was really going to be happy. I didn't even realize that I was being strapped down by the legs until the band slowly came off.

"Get up." He told me. I did so, but I didn't do it because he told me to, I did it because it felt so good to not feel restricted. "You are free to walk around, find things. Be careful, if you touch some things you could die." He wasn't joking. I nodded. "I'll be gone a while. Stay put." He left. But for some reason, he didn't close the door.

67 Reviews

Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:34 pm
Auxiira says...

The corridor down to my room was dark, and even before I reached my door I was planning how to get back into the labs. I wanted to know. It wasn't that I particularly minded him not telling me, I was used to that now, but I was intruigued with the level of security, and the fact that they were trying so hard to keep me away. And it was something for the government, so everyone would probably know after a while anyway. Unless it was illegal. I stared at my door for a few seconds then turned on my heel and traced my steps back to the lab. Voices approached the frosted door and I darted into the nearest room.

"-know why he even wants to get into the labs." I frowned at dad's voice. Why did he even care?

"It doesn't matter." I recognised Anna's voice, but it was a lot less... grating than usual. "We will up the security, of course. No one must know abou..." the voices passed by and dissapeared down the corridor. I waited a few seconds before edging out of the room and through the door.

The labs were quiet now, only the slight hum of machines breaking the silence. I let out a breath I hadn't even realised I was holding shakily. My shoes squeaked on the polished lino and I winced. Suddenly, there was the creak of a door opening, and the sound of feet rythmically hitting the floor. I frowned, and started around the corner, stopping sharp as a body hit my own. I caught the person's skinny arms and looked down.

A head of blonde hair stood there, turning up and down. A band of surgical cloth covered the girl's eyes. I frowned as I took at the hospital gown and her bare feet. What on earth... She shook under my hands. What is she doing here? She pushed away slightly, still looking dazed. Her lips quivered as she tried to say something, after a few failed attempts she spoke,

"Who are you?" I could ask her the same question, but decided to reply to hers first.

"Dmitri. You?" I was curious. Her brows scrunched up like she was confused and thinking.

"I, I'm, I am Shell?" She was almost asking me.

"Why are you here, Shell?" I kept my voice soft, trying not to scare her. It was a strange name, but I wasn't going to question it. If she was in my dad's lab, dressed like this, there were a few reasons why she could be there, but I wanted to know.

"The Doctor," she paused, scrunching her features again in thought, "Your father? Said I was being fixed. I mean, my eyes. I'm blind, it's not natural for me." My thoughts flatlined in my head as I absorbed what she had said, then rushed back in a tumbling cacaphony. My father, that block of ice, was trying to help someone? It didn't make any sense. unless he was doing it for the government. But then what was so special about this girl? I wanted to help.

"My father, yes." Even I could hear the distaste in my own voice. "Not natural... Just what... My Отец..." I couldn't string the words together to make a comprehensible sentence.

"So you don't know." She sounded like something just dawned on her, like she just had some sort of understanding. "I didn't know either, you--you need to talk to your father, he'll explain to you." He won't explain anything. He never does. "You see, I'm not normal, or I don't know. I don't know." She stopped, thinking. "Could I, could you take me to some food? I need to eat."

"I-" I hesitated, knowing that if I ran into anyone, I wouldn't just be told off, I'd probably be arrested. And I couldn't help her if that happened. "I'll bring you some food. Just stay here."

"Okay, thanks." She sounded a little bit disappointed. I turned and dashed out of the labs, down the stairs, trying desperately not to think about what my dad could possibly be doing to her. I had thought that he at least respected human rights, but now I wasn't sure, and it wasn't something I wanted to linger on.

I quickly opened a cupboard, grabbing the first things that fell under my hands, surprisingly a packet of cookies. I snatched some fruit from the fruit-bowl and hurried back up the stairs and through the door, surprised that I hadn't met anyone on the way. The girl was still standing exactly where I had left her, making me sigh relievedly.

"Here you go," I said, pressing the pack of cookies into her hand after opening it. She took one in her hand felt it for a moment and then took it to her nose smelt it before putting it in her mouth.

"Mmmh, that's good." She hungrily ate all of the cookies and handed me the packet as I handed her the apple that had ended up in my palm. I looked at the orange in my other hand, then tried to unpeel it unsuccessfully.

"I'll need a knife for this, I'll go and get one." I turned but she stopped me, resting her hand on my arm, before I could go.

"There's one in the lab! You don't have to go anywhere." I was the one shaking now, not scared, but almost angry that my dad had accepted to work on this girl, who just seemed lonely. The packet crackled in my fist.

"I- I'm sorry. I need to go." I turned again, brushing her arm off before hurrying away down the corridor. There was too much to take in, and my anger at my dad was boiling over. I didn't want to see him, didn't even want to speak to him. The image of the girl telling me I didn't need to leave echoed in my mind alongside the bang of my door.

Spoiler! :
Sorry it took so long, Dearie!

159 Reviews

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:54 pm
Skydreamer says...

Shell

I didn't hear the door click, letting me know it was at least a little bit open. Carefully taking small baby steps I inched forward. I also lifted my hands in front of me in case I was to hit something. Memorization of the sound of feet towards the door allowed me to know exactly where to go. I was surprised when I thought I heard footsteps as I knew I was closer to the door. Not thinking it could be possible though I continued on, feeling the firm wooden door with rough edges and slowly opening it wider causing a slight creaky noise to jump out from it. I slipped out of the door and felt the atmosphere change, there the air was much cooler and less tainted with chemicals. I walked forward causally without thinking and slammed into something, or rather someone, the person immediately steadied me, as I shook in fear. Who was it? I pushed away. I figured it had to be someone who knew their way around the house, what about the son? Was it him? I knew there was only one way to find out, to ask. I couldn't bring myself to do it though, and then suddenly vulnerability hit me. Why was the person so silent? Was he watching me? My heart started racing and I hated the feeling so I quickly spoke up,

"Who are you?"

"Dmitri. You?" Oh, Dmitri... He has to be the son. Anna was speaking of a Dmitri. Thinking of Anna made me afraid, confused, and frustrated all at once. I wasn't even thinking of answering his question when it dawned on me I probably should. But then there was another problem, how? I searched my memory for my name, who was I? I honestly just did not know. I could be anything for goodness sake. I just, I didn't really know. Shell the name just came to me. I was amazed at how familiar it felt.

"I, I'm Shell?" I still wasn't so sure, it came to sudden and it could have been a name the Doctor just gave to me randomly, but was I even born? I was never told I had a family. My mind reeled.

"Why are you here, Shell?" I was caught off guard, the patient tone he had was astounding. I literally had no recollection of ever being spoken to like that. I couldn't really answer his question though, for I didn't really completely know. Nothing made sense to me. But I decided to try to explain.

"The Doctor," I paused, wait, should I address him in such a way? Maybe not. "Your Father? Said I was being fixed. I mean, my eyes. I'm blind, it's not natural for me." He paused for a moment and I figured he was deep in thought.

"My father, yes." His voice was strained with anger, or, was that hatred? I was surprised. I guess he wouldn't have minded if I called his father "the Doctor". He continued. "Not natural... Just what... My Отец..." he sounded very confused, and I too was really confused. I was even shocked that he didn't know I was here, now I was shocked he doesn't know about people like me.

"So you don't know." I realized then that if he didn't know, then I was a secret, and if I was a secret, then I would forever be one. Even after my eyes were fixed. If he knew, or someone other than the two people working on me or even this government knew, then I'd have hope, hope of maybe convincing people that I didn't want to be a spy and wanted to try to live a normal life, even if I wasn't a normal person. I'd promise not to use my abilities, or at least, for the wrong reasons. But if no one knew, even now, that lessened my possibility of anyone ever knowing. This scared me and emboldened me at the same time. I knew something now, even though I was completely confused about the rest. He needs to know. He needs to know. "I didn't know either, you--you need to talk to your father, he'll explain to you. You see, I'm not normal, or I don't know. I don't know." I wanted to explain it to him, all of it, let him know all the things I can do, how I can help him, what I know about him just by hearing his voice, but I couldn't my mind wouldn't let me, it clouded up again and I was suddenly unsure of myself.

"Could I, could you take me to some food? I need to eat." I asked instead, feeling the familiar pang. I did feel a little apprehensive since being drugged, but I sort of trusted him.

"I-" His voice trailed off. I was worried he would say no when he said, "I'll bring you some food. Just stay here." Stay? Was I so inhuman? Was I so much like an animal? Why was I always commanded and never let free? I had specifically wanted to walk around, stretch my legs, do something more than what I'd been doing for the past-who knows how long. No, I was to stay, stay and just hope that he comes back, because I don't know, he could have lied, he could have said that and leave me and not come back. I had no reason to trust him, yet I said,

"Okay, thanks." As soon as I said it, he took off, and I waited. He was back rather quickly, I heard the steady pattern of feet that I already recognized as his.

"Here you go," He said, his voice was closer to me now. He handed me a pack of something, opened, I took what felt like a cookie with it's round crumbliness and smelled it as well as felt it to just make sure it wasn't drugged. I knew he wasn't his father, but I didn't know how much his father controlled and was afraid his father could have tainted all the foods in some chemical that only affected me. I bit into the cookie.

"Mmmh, that's good." I finished the cookies quickly and was handed, what I felt to be an apple. I ate it. There was silence for a moment when he broke it saying,

"I'll need a knife for this, I'll go and get one." I could hear his voice moving away from me by the end of his sentence and reached out to stop him.

"There's one in the lab! You don't have to go anywhere." I could feel him shaking slightly under my hand. He was trying to steadying himself it seemed as I heard something crack in his hands. I clung to him, I was telling him too much.

"I- I'm sorry. I need to go." He said this time walking forward briskly, brushing my hand off of his shoulder. My heart froze. I had never felt that before. I stayed where I was until I couldn't hear his feet's rhythm as he walked away.

You need to get out of here. You need to get out of here. I told myself, but every time I thought it, his voice came to mind, how soft it had been, almost, kind. Why that was I didn't know, but I actually wanted to find out.

67 Reviews

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:35 pm
Auxiira says...

Spoiler! :
I am so infinitely sorry that this took so long! I am a horrible person, and you can tell me off as much as you like...

Dmitri Sergeyevich Leonov[/b]

I lay on my bed and stared up at the ceiling in a shocked daze. I could still hear the girl's voice in my ears, asking not to go. How could my Dad do that to [i]anyone? She just seemed sad and lonely. It didn't seem like she could remember who she was, where she was from. No one should have to go through that. Her face when she had remembered her name had been so happy. I wanted to help her, wanted to get her out of there.

But if she was in the lab, then she was the one the security was for... I sat up, suddenly alert. Wait, she's [/i]the one the security is for?[/i] It didn't make any sense. Who was she? She wasn't some rich mistress, though, my instinct told me that. Who is she then? There wasn't any reason for a random stranger to have such security. I tried to think back. She wasn't Russian, that I was pretty sure of. She just didn't act it. I was certain she wasn't British either. There was a very slight... Twang to her voice that made me think that she was maybe American.

American, then. What is she doing here? She was here to get her eyes "fixed", was what she had said. But then the security, and the secrecy... They weren't normal. I got up off of my bed and went over to the window, looking out at the nearest guard. They weren't personal guards, they were military. So government. She had something to do with the Kremlin, maybe...

I shook my head, disgusted. Does it matter who she is or where she's from? I knew the answer to that. It didn't matter, as long as I wanted to help her. I frowned, reaching under my bed for the box I had left there earlier. I opened the box once I had sat down on my bed and took out a few of the pictures.

A lady neither beautiful nor unremarkable featured in every one. My mother had been striking in her own right, but my father had only chosen her for her money. He had lost every --- of it now, anyway. I stared at the picture I held for a while. She had known how to handle Dad, once he was out of the lab, and now she was gone. It was impossible for him to love anyone. He was a heartless statue that moved only when it wanted to. ___, what should I do? I wanted to find out exactly who she was. Shell couldn't be her proper name, and if she had gone missing, then there probably would be a search going on for her somewhere. I sat up again, then went over to my desk, flicking on my laptop. The only advantage I could find with my Dad being a top scientist was the technology I could get my hands on, and the Internet connection. Once My laptop was warmed up, I cracked my fingers and started to look.

~a few hours later~

"Dmitri, come and eat." Dad's voice pulled me from my research with a frustrated sigh.

"I'm busy, Отец," I snapped in reply, quickly opening up a job page over my research in case he came in.

"That is no way to speak to your father. Come and eat." It was almost heard of for him to insist that we eat together, and I wondered what he wanted to talk about. Probably my intrusion into his labs that Anna had discovered. Once I had trailed downstairs and sat at the table, my suspicious were confirmed. After a few minutes of clinking cutlery and tableware, he coughed and spoke up.

"Dmitri, I thought that we had made it clear that you were not to go into the labs. I'm disappointed with your behaviour." His voice grated against my ears.

"I'm disappointed with yours, but I don't say it, do I?" I glared at him, but he was studiously staring at his plate, ignoring my glare. I didn't miss the look he sent me as I dropped my gaze though. "But I'll stay away from your precious labs then. I wouldn't want your child to come to any harm." My tone was more acidic than some of the industrial cleaners he had used before. He knew how I saw him, how I despised the way he had just ignored Mum's death, going on with his life. A curt nod ended our brief conversation. Near the end of the meal, I broke the silence again.

"Отец, you'd tell me if you were working on something against international law, wouldn't you?" I didn't expect a yes, however much the younger part of me who still loved his Отец yearned for it.

"Why would I have to? You have no rule over what I work on." The words scored cuts over my heart, burning. His spoon clattered around the empty bowl as he stood up. "Don't go to the labs, or I'll have you arrested." And a final stab to finish your opponent. It was always like this between us, almost a Cold War, and we preferred not to speak to each other.

I glanced after him as he marched back towards the labs, then finished my dessert slowly. Once done, I trudged back upstairs to my research, determined to find something.

Spoiler! :
So, he won't find anything, of course, but I was thinking maybe Dmitri's dad could leave the door open again, during the night, (when the security's more lax) and she could actually get into the house, where he could find her?

159 Reviews

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:28 am
Skydreamer says...

Shell

I was exhausted. Just tired of being in the same position that I find myself, waking up on this horrible bed strapped down like an animal. My mind was throbbing this time, yes, I was also tired of the continuous pain I always felt when waking. When will my eyes be fixed? When will this all be over? I've been dreaming good dreams lately though; been hearing some sort of voice come out to me. In the dreams I wasn't lost or forgotten, I had a sense of place, of meaning, of being. I was able to breathe freely, think freely, feel freely. Now my throat felt clogged, my mind clouded and my heart heavy.

I didn't want to move to fight, to do anything anymore. It was done, sealed. The previous night I heard lots of noises of them installing the new security system, and then I heard Anna, saying in her upity voice. "He'll never be able to make it even to the hallway, sir! Excellent choice of equiptment." I sighed. This 'he' I knew who he was, the voice I'd been hearing, and the only other person I've come in contact with since coming to this wretched place. To this place of isolation. The doors then ironically opened and the footsteps of the Doctor came towards me, he must have sensed I was awake for he spoke.

"Doing alright?" it was in Russian. Ever since he realized I could speak Russian he usually spoke to me in it, I think he did because it's more power to him. I have to confinde to his rules, to his language. Like a piece of property. I simply shook my head to answer him. He continued on, "I hope so because tomorrow you will have your first official test of sight. If you can see, you can then move on to your training sessions so I expect you to want to see, right? Cooperate and things will be better."

"It's not my fault my eyes are still like this!" I snapped. He moved closer to me, his voice dipped into a low angry whisper,

"It's not mine either! You will not move from the bed any longer. I have tried numerous attempts to get your eye-sight back with no sucess, it makes no sense! I am not failing my people, this government, or the world. You will listen to me whether you like it or not, or you will face the concequences." When he finished the room was filled with silence. I did not even hear the ticking of the clock. My heart was beating fast within me, a real threat. A real threat! I needed to calm down and listen to him part of me said, the other part told me to run. I was leaning to the latter part of me. I wanted to run. I didn't need to see, what if he made a mistake and killed me? Shut me down forever? There were so many things I had yet to know, to think, to feel, to be! I wanted to really experience life. And now he was set to fix me or kill me, what could I do but run? I need to run.

"Why didn't your son know about me?"

"You have no right to ask such a question. I have no need to answer you."

"So what happenes if you fix my eyes? Do I stay in this dungeon, a secret forever?!" I was raising my voice again. I've learned fear can make you do that.

"If you don't get fixed you will, If you do get fixed, you won't."

"I won't what?"

"If you are properly able to see, you will not stay a secret forever." he was lying. I could tell just by the tone of his voice. The pauses he had was too long, the draw he put on forever was accented, I knew he was lying. I would be a secret because I would be working for the Russian government. I would always be a lie, living under another name, another personality, another human being. I'd never just be who I was. I'd be who they make me. My body shook, I didn't want to be a puppet, even if I was created to be one. I wanted to be free.

"Okay," two can play at this game, I thought. Now at least I knew what I wanted. I may not be able to remember everything about my past, but I can figure it out after getting away from this crazy place. He was fiddling with things around me for a while and then he left. He didn't drug me. I was fully free to now plan and discover my freedom. I moved very slowly (not wanting to make much sound) around the bed and found that the straps were leather and that I could probably lift my two arms out of it and feel around for a way to free myself. I worked carefully pulling my arms out by rubbing against the leather, I ignored the burns and got my two arms free. Then I felt around be for a button, or a buckle or anything, but found nothing. I then decided to try to free myself from sliding out of the restriction completely and then started to work on that. After trying and failling multiple times I was about to completely give up when I remembered that I wasn't normal. I realized that it was probably controlled by technology, and that I had all these codes in my mind just waiting to be used.

Racing through my mind I thought through a wall of codes for such devices and found one that I felt matched the best. I worked through the code in my mind as if typing it in an actual computer and when I was done the all the straps released me. I had never felt more stronger than in that moment. I got off of the bed, and went towards the door based on memory of the last time, and felt the door. It was bolted. I used my strength to unbolt it, and then pushed it open. Immediately I heard the creak of the door opening and my heart started soaring. I slipped outside of the room, bolting the door before closing it again. The air of the hallway was so fresh I took a moment to just breathe it in. Freedom.

Spoiler! :
She's going to find him, but I was thinking we could do that post from his pov first. : )

67 Reviews

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:57 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

I tossed the little information I had over and over in my head but couldn't draw up anything. The guards are soldiers. Government. It didn't move me much further on. I sighed and stood up, stretching and heading out of my room to fetch coffee.

My father was going up the stairs leading to the first floor from his labratory. I stopped and turned back to my bedroom, but he had already heard me.

"Dmitri." I stopped and turned back to him, refusing to speak. "What are you doing?" I just stared at him. I couldn't talk to him. I was far too angry and hurt. I didn't want to say anything that I would regret, even though it took a lot for that. He sighed. "I understand that you resent me, bu-"

"Really?" I snapped. "Do you really understand how much I hate you, Отец, for not even noticing that mother died because you were 'too busy', for leaving me alone, for everything? Beause I don't think you do." I turned away and down the stairs, ignoring him as he gave up calling after me and went to his bedroom, apparently intent on going to sleep. I had heard Anna leave ealier, and I realised that besides the guards roaming around the grounds, I was the only person awake in the house.

The clock in the kitchen blinked 01:04 at me as I poured myself a cup of coffee and sipped at it, unable to think over the ringing in my ears. I breathed deeply between sips, trying not to remember the tears on my mother's face as her hand dropped out of mine. I rinsed out the mug in the sink and placed it upside down on the side to dry out, stilling as I heard the scuff of bare feet on the floor. I knew it wasn't my father. He slept like the dead when he was in bed.

I kept my eyes on the end of the corridor as the steps edged closer, as if they didn't know their way around. A pale, slim figure stepped out from the doorway, then stopped and searched for the edge of the wall with one hand. I blinked, not sure if I was actually seeing her.
"Shell?" Her name came out as a croaking whisper as my heart thumped in my chest.

"H-hi," She froze in her position, again her features giving away her thoughts. Her eyes were wide and she looked like she was fighting with herself.

"Why are yo- I mean, are you okay?" It was definitely her, but how had she freed herself from the lab? They had put more security and it was impossible for me to get in and just... exceptional.

"I don't know what to say. I don't have much time; I need food and then I need to leave. Can you help me?" I stared at her, unable to say anything for a few seconds, before grappling with my words. She seemed so much more confident than the day before.

"Of course." I grabbed a fork and food from the fridge, leftovers from whatever I had had for lunch, I hadn't even noticed. There was the sound of a door opening on the second floor. I didn't think for one second, grabbing Shell's hand and pulling her up the stairs after me into my room and shutting the door behind us.

"Dmitri?" My father's voice came from the other side.

"What?" I snapped harshly, not wanting to talk at all. "If you want to lecture me about getting coffee, then just go away. In fact, do that anyway." He didn't reply. I heard his steps pacing away and sighed before looking at the hand holding Shell's and quickly dropping it.
"Sorry. I assumed you didn't want to be found..." She looked startled, her hands shook a little and she brought them to her chest covering one on the other. She nodded.

"Right, good thinking." She sounded so small, she paused processing thought. "I have to leave soon, though. I can't stay." Her hands started shaking a little despite her efforts to stop it.

"Okay. You need to eat first though." I handed her the plate and the fork. She took the food in large portions and ate quickly, hungrily. "Do you know how you're getting out? There are guards." She paused a moment from eating to respond,

"Guards?!" Her lips quivered a bit. "There must be a way. I'll-I mean, they can't be there forever right?"

"They probably can, actually. They relay each other." I reached out to pat her shoulder then stopped, unsure. "You're worth that much security." I could hear awe in my voice as I stared at this girl who seemed so strong. "I'll help you. You can't wear what you're wearing though." She had a small smile on her lips, but it ended as soon as it started and turned into a frown. She nodded,

"Okay, thanks." I guessed she was talking about the clothes. I realized how bare she must have felt with that flimsy hospital dress. Grabbing a shirt and a pair of trousers from a nearby drawer, I hesitated before picking out a clean pair of boxers too.

"Here you go." I handed them to her before sitting on the edge of my bed and turning around.

"The pants are a too big, but the shirt's good. Thanks." I turned around to see her holding up the pants, only my shirt on. I felt a hot flush flood my face as I fumbled around in my drawers for another pair that could fit her. I couldn't help staring at her bare legs as I handed her a pair that I wasn't able to get into. She was pale, but still strong, I could see her lithe muscles defining her calves as she shimmied into the jeans. I watched as she brushed herself over.

"Yeah, this one fits. Thank you." She paused a moment looking at me without looking at me. How did she know where I was? "I-So, why are you helping me? Your father is trying to keep me here and you hid me from your father, I don't understand."

"I don't side with my father, and frankly, if this is what our government is doing, then I don't side with them, either." I sighed. "I can't agree with anything that they're doing." She nods throughout.

"Do you know what they're doing?"

"No. But locking people up in a labratory is never anything good." Especially when my father is involved.

"They say, well your Father and Anna say that it's good. That they're helping me. But I can't believe it. I don't remember a lot, but I'll tell you what I know...if you want?"

"Please." I patted the bed next to me. "Sit down."

159 Reviews

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 pm
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

My heart had been doing strange things the moment I heard the voice I instantly recognized as the voice in my dreams, calling my name. I tried to calm myself down enough though to think, but as I felt my way to his bed and sat next to him, my heart beats multiplied intensely. I placed my hands on my lap in front of me, not wanting them to move; they too have been acting without my discretion. I couldn't believe that I was finally free. Well, almost, barely, no, perhaps I wasn't free at all. I sighed trying not to think about it. At least at this moment I felt safe, like nothing could hurt me, not even this person who seemed to have such a strange effect on me.

"I'll start with me," I told him releasing a shaky breath. "I-I'm not normal. I'm a GEHS. A Genetically Enhanced Homo-Sapien."

I heard a sharp intake of breath, then: "Okay."

"I got out of that room, with my mind. Apparently, they've written a bunch of code into my 'data system' which is very much like a brain, in fact it is a brain, but it's filled with programs like a computer, that can connect to other such programs," I paused. "Such as security systems, apparently. And I just processed that in my brain, just now. All I know is that even though I'm blind, I have a vision of how everything should be. Even though I have a defect I am actually one of the very few-superhumans left. I wish I wasn't to be honest, but there's nothing I can do about it. Your father wanted to fix my eyes but he realized that it was a mistake with my whole makeup, when they put my genes together they accidentally put in a wrong one, maybe from a wrong blood-line maybe it somehow got infected, but I'm blind because of it. So technically I'm useless, that is unless I see."

My mind started to get heavy again and I shifted feeling uncomfortable and tired. "That's-that's all I know for now." In this moment I wished I could see his face, just to see the reaction, just to know what was passing through his mind. Since I could not I reached over and lightly touched his hand. "Understand?" I asked.

He was silent for a few minutes before he took my hand. "Yes. I understand... I don't think you're a defect though. That's someone else's opinion." There was a soft sigh. My heart started fluttering again and I remembered it existed. At least that made me human.

"I don't know...all I know is I don't want to die." As the words came out of my mouth I felt like I had shared my deepest secret. Yes, me a "program" didn't want to die. Why should he care? I was too quick to speak. It was then that I realized that he hadn't let go of my hand yet, I self-consciously withdrew my hand and left it at my lap.

"No one wants to die, Shell," he replied softly. "No one wants anyone else to die, either." He coughed and the bed shifted as he moved a little away. "We should work on getting you out." I nodded. I agreed with him, no one most likely wanted to die. I was one of those people, a human, I had to stop separating myself. I was going to be living out there now. No one wants anyone else to die, either. It seemed like he was that no one. Anna couldn't care less, and the doctor wouldn't care either. He was the no one.

"I think you should sleep." The words came out before I could stop them. I knew it was night, late, my mind told me. Just like my mind told me that I should be tired, and if I should be tired, he should definitely be tired. But I didn't want to be tired. I wanted to ask him questions. I wanted to know more. Maybe I'd remember things, maybe I'd discover new things. I just didn't want this moment of understanding to end.

"If you think so." The bed rose as he got up and a few seconds later I heard a snick. "My Отец likes to pry." He said in explanation, before muttering, "Hopefully he got the message earlier, though." I fought my disappointment, I wasn't really disappointed, I needed sleep.

"Where are you going to sleep? I mean, where am I going to sleep?" I found my hair and twirled it.

"I'm sleeping on my sofa. You can sleep there." There was a firmness to his voice, as if he were telling himself at the same time. It was then that I got to realize how soft the bed was. How comfortable it felt compared to the table-thing I had been sleeping on for, who knows how long. I almost wasn't sure if I could enjoy it, but I had to, I was told to, so I would. I scooted farther onto the bed and lay down. I felt a little cold but ignored it and pulled my legs toward my chest. I listened to his feet on the carpet, soft and careful as if trying not to bother me, then the rhythm ended as I heard him moving on his couch. I hoped he was comfortable. Then, silence. I thought about everything and anything I needed to think about to try to get myself to sleep. Nothing worked. My mind was awake, my body was awake, and my heart, the crazy thing wouldn't stop beating and distracting me.

"Are you cold, Shell?" His voice broke the silence softly.

"A little bit." I admitted just as softly. I wondered how he knew, the thought caused heat to rise to my cheeks. He's warmed me up. I pushed the thought away. His footsteps padded on the carpet again and a blanket was tucked in around me. He was gone as soon as he had came, and I heard him lie back down on the sofa. "Thank you," I said while pulling it closer. "Are you cold?"

"I'm fine, been colder." He replied, quietly. Okay. Time to sleep. I settled my mind, trying to clear my thoughts completely and almost, almost succeeded, but there was a thought nagging at me, something that I had to ask.

"Sorry, are you asleep yet? I need--want to ask you something." I steadied myself for his reply.

"I'm still awake. What do you want to ask?"

"I know that the doctor is your father, so, what--does--is--what--where's his wife?"

"Oh." There was a long silence before he replied. "My mother died quite a few years ago. She fell ill with some unknown illness and it couldn't be treated." His voice was filled with a bitterness that rivaled the one he had talked to the Doctor with. I felt heavy. That's horrible. And that's why they created people like me, stronger, better, more immune to illness. Suddenly I wished that all humans were like me, without the defect of course. I turned a little feeling restless. I shouldn't have asked him, it was rude, rash, now he won't be able to sleep. I knew I wasn't. Why was he so bitter? I wondered. Why did he sound angry? What has he been through? I swallowed something that had come up in my throat. The real question was, why was I still thinking about all these things and not sleeping? It wasn't till I heard him shift on the couch before I realized I had not yet replied. My mouth parted and then closed. I didn't know what to say. There was nothing to say. Anything I said would not be good enough; "Sorry" would imply I had something to do with it, when clearly I did not, or would imply I was pitying him, when I knew he needed none of that. "Are you okay?" would be a deranged question this late in the night where he'd have to either dig in, or just say the conventional words of "Yeah, or yes". And if I said "That's horrible" it would just emphasize the obvious thus making me seem inconsiderate. Not to mention, all those responses would be too simple; too common. I would not reply the way anyone would reply. Either I say the right thing or nothing at all.

"I'm happy," I paused hoping I would say this right, "that she lived long enough to have you; I heard a mother's joy is her family, her children. And I'm happy that she wasn't killed in a gory, ruthless, dishonorable way, but that she fought with the unknown, like a solider blinded going into battle; impossible, but brave and valiant." the words came tumbling out and stopped in a halt, my breath leaving me with the last word. I held my breath until I heard his breaths even out and became a soft melodic river of in and outs.

"Thank you." he replied quietly, surprising me. A small smile formed before I could stop it, and I allowed it for a moment. So this is what it feels like to help someone, or encourage? I closed my eyes, my heart at peace for a few moments; enough for me to enter my dreams.

67 Reviews

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:26 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

I started awake, rolling to the side. I landed in a heap on the floor with a groan, letting out a string of expletives.

"Owww."

"Are you alright?" I heard the girl's voice, sounding a little worried. I sighed, rolling over onto my back to see Shell peering down at me.

"Yes... Please tell me you didn't understand everything I just said?"

"I don't think it matters. Did you just fall from the couch?" I saw that she was trying not to laugh.

"Yes, I did." I rolled over and pushed myself to my feet, stretching. "Did you sleep okay?" She yawned and stretched as well. Slowly, being careful, she pulled herself up and sat on the edge of my bed.

"I did, better than--I did, thank you. I hope you at least got some sleep on that couch." She smiled.

"Mmm. I've slept in stranger places." I smiled back at her, my heart beating slightly faster "So. We're getting out of here today."

"How are we going to do that? I should know different ways to escape from places, but they must have taken the memories away. Either that or I really know no way to leave that's wise. The only thing I can think of is escaping through your window but the guards would see me."

"They would, yeah." I was silent for a bit, thinking it over. She was pretty small - petite, but still strong, in a good way - and could probably pass as a boy. "You can act as one of my friends. If we meet my father, it might be a little troublesome, but he's never taken any interest in them. We should be okay once we get out of the house." I watched her nod, understanding on her face.

"I think that could work. I'll be sure to keep my head down, so they can't really see my face. And I'll have to wear a hat, something to cover my hair." She sounded quietly excited. "Thank you." I smiled at her again, then turned to my warderobe, pulling out a hoodie and a warm beanie, as well as a scarf and a pair of boots. It wouldn't matter if they were too big, it would be a bit more convincing that way. After handing them to her, I grabbed my own heavy jacket from its hanger and shrugged it on. My boots followed, tied tightly. I picked up my backpack and started shoving clothes into it. Reaching under my bed, I took out the box of memories and wrapped in a shirt before placing it in the backpack too. I hesitated a few seconds before opening a drawer and taking out my pistol, checking the chamber, and picking up the few magazines I had bought. The very final defense. I slid the cartridges into my pocket and shoved the pistol under my belt. It was a cold weight next to my skin.

I turned to Shell, dressed up in my clothes. "Ready?"

"Yes." She said wrapping her arms around herself and putting her head down. "Let's go."

Nodding, I smiled at her, not caring that she couldn't see. Hefting the backpack, I unlocked my bedroom door and stepped out, glancing back to check that Shell was following. She was. We barely made any sound with our feet as we walked out of my room and down the stairs, checking every so often that she knew where I was. I tried not to stay too far from her so she could hear some of my footsteps or something. I froze when I heard the door upstairs opening and my father's footsteps walking down. Taking her hand, I hurry us up and we walked to the door. Once there, I let go of her hand, but paused to turn to her,

"Okay, we're going outside now. Be careful. I won't be able to stay too close or guide you so the guards aren't suspicious, but don't move too much." She looked a little frightened but nodded. I sighed and opened the door, we walked out.

The guards were still patrolling around the outside of the house, every one of them strongly muscled and probably the elite of the army. I forced myself to act calm as we walked past them to the garage, silently hoping that my father hadn't gotten rid of my motorbike. I grinned in relief as the door slid upwards, showing the bike, which looked fast and still capable of all those wild tricks. Quickly fetching down a helmet for Shell, I placed it in her hands before reaching for my own and quickly putting it on. Then I helped her with her helmet and got on the bike. She got on after me,

"Make sure to hold on tight. We're on my motorbike, so just know it won't be a simple ride. Where do you want to go?" There was a pause.

"I don't know."

"Where do you think you should go so you can be found?"

"A library. We're like computers always learning, always needing to learn in order to grow mentaly and in other respects...a library somewhere with education? Yeah, there."

"Okay." I nodded, starting up the motor. "Moscow it is then."

I sat next to Shell in the main library in Moscow, leafing through a book and reading it out loud to her.

"The prince told him to send her to him, but the mother answered, "Oh, no, she is much too dirty. She cannot be seen."
But the prince insisted on it, and they had to call Cinderella. She first washed her hands and face clean, and then went and bowed down before the prince, who gave her the golden shoe. She sat down on a stool, pulled her foot out of the heavy wooden shoe, and put it into the slipper, and it fitted her perfectly.
When she stood up the prince looked into her face, and he recognized the beautiful girl who had danced with him. He cried ou-"

"Izvinite?" A young woman stood next to us, staring at Shell. Her red hair stood out in every direction, and despite her having no accent, I could tell she wasn't Russian.

"Can I help you?" I asked in English, slightly on edge after everything that had happened.

"Oh, you speak English." Her face was very calculated, like she was anayzing the situation, or me. "Do you mind if I have a word with the girl you're reading to? I recongize her from somewhere."

I shut the book and put it down on the table. "Go ahead. I'm not stopping you." She eyed me for a while as if sizing me up. Then she turned her attention onto Shell.

"Hey, Shell." Her voice was soft. I watched as Shell's eye's widened. Then her face scrunched up in her "confused" face.

"Hi," Shell croaked out; she was emotional.

"Shell, I am an old friend. I know you most likely don't remember me, but I need to ask you a few questions to test your memory. They are simple yes or no questions that you can answer with either nodding or shaking or saying the words. Agreed?" Shell nodded. "Okay, we'll start. First, do you reconigze my voice?"

"Yes," Shell said her hands fidgeting on the table.

"Does my voice remind you of a person?"

Shell nodded.

"Have you been remembering a person throughout your time, at where you were?"

Shell nodded.

"Was by any chance that person named, Myra?" Shell didn't move. Her hands were white she was squeezing them together so tightly. Her face was also white, she looked completely winded. I frowned, concerned. Then she nodded.

"I, am Myra, Shell." She said.

159 Reviews

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 am
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

Shell

"I, am Myra, Shell." I shut my eyes trying to steady my breath. No, no, no. It couldn't be her. I don't know what to say to her, I don't know why she's here. I don't want to be operated on, I don't want anymore tests. I want to be free. I was afraid of her, this woman who use to hold so much hope in my heart, now she was scaring me. Because I don't want that life; the life I had with her, she helped me through that life, but now I want my own life.

"Hi, Myra," I said trying to smile. I remembered who she was now, the memories came flooding towards me causing me to feel like wind was passing through me. They weren't complete, not wholly there, but for the most part, I remember her. She's nice, safe, but she's just like the doctor, trying to control me.

"Do you remember me now?" My hands dropped to my lap, she's more enhanced than I am. How does she register things? Now my heart started beating furiously in fear, what was she doing here? How did I remember her? My questions had to be answered.

"Yes, I do. Not fully, but I know you were my only friend." At friend my voice started to quiver. Not friend, protector, teacher, controller. I fought to control my emotions, but I was breaking, here I was, going back to my old life. Suddenly I wanted to run away, find a new life. My face heat up as I felt Dmitri looking at me. His hand crept onto mine under the table and he squeezed it reassuringly.

"Who do you work for, Myra?" he asked, suspicion lacing his voice.

"I'm afraid I can't disclose specific information, it's classified. But, I can tell you that I am a vital member of the United States security system, as well as human welfare."

"So the government again. Figures. And you're here to take her back to a place where they'll do the same things to her as my father was doing?" His hold on my hand tightened slightly, and I could hear anger in his voice.

"Well, first of all, I do not even know what your father did to my friend. And I would never let anything happen to her. Secondly, I'm only taking her home. The Russians stole her, she doesn't belong here, and she doesn't belong to you, either." She started even but ended with tension in her voice, even the enhanced break. Maybe she did have my best interest, but something in me didn't care, something in me held Dmitri's hand tighter letting him know I trusted him.

"I don't belong to anyone." I told her.

"No, you don't." She backtracked, her voice back to it's even tone. "Look, Shell, why did you come here if you didn't want to be found?" She had a point.

"I'll go back. But I want my freedom. I want to choose whether or not I stay. Whether or not I do anything."

"You don't understand Shell, I don't know what they did to you," she paused. "But they aren't us, we'll take care of you; but you're operations aren't done. We can fix you." Anger I didn't know existed boiled up within me along with fear.

"No!" I shouted before thinking hearing a loud 'Shhh!' be carried towards us. I realized this was a bad place to be having such a conversation. "No." I repeated much softer.

"No, what?" Again emotion seeped into Myra's voice, she sounded annoyed.

"I don't want to be fixed." There was silence for a few moments.

"You want to be blind, when you have the opportunity to see? I don't understand, what happened? Did he try to cut out your eyes?!" She was losing herself, worry and pain and confusion came through her voice.

"If he had done that then I would've killed him," Dmitri growled.

"I wasn't talking to you. How could you trust him?! What happened!" She was shouting. I heard footsteps coming towards us,

"You three need to leave, now!" Was said angrily in Russian. Dmitri stood up, tugging me to my feet.

"Shall we find somewhere else to talk? Or are you going to leave, Myra?"

"Oh, Heavens no, I wouldn't leave her with you."

"You couldn't keep her safe though, could you, seeing as my father got his hands on her."

"How dare y-" I decided this could go on for a while.

"Let's go somewhere. Where are you staying Myra, can we talk there?"

"Oh, yes. Let's go."

I felt like I was just recently brought back to life, kind of like what sleeping beauty might have felt like when waking. Or snow white. Princess story's were playing through my mind. We had walked to her hotel, and there was traffic and people so Dmitri didn't really let go of my hand. I appreciated it and was glad to have a friend, glad that it wasn't so obvious that I was blind; it seems like such a weakness. Now we were in her room, just entered a moment ago, I was no longer holding his hand but I knew where he was, he was close. I would at this moment, be looking around at what the room looks like if I could see, but instead I stood in silence whilst Myra went to take care of some things. I didn't feel so afraid of her anymore. But I didn't change my position on freedom either.

"Would you guys like anything to drink?" She asked only to be polite.

"Do you have any vodka? If not then no." he replied.

"Alcohol is unhealthy." I heard Dmitri snort close by. "I don't have any, no. Sorry, you Shell?" her voice was directed towards me. I shook my head even though my throat was dry, I wasn't sure I'd keep anything in with everything happening so quickly.

"Alright then. Please sit, Shell I'll help you." She took my hand and guided me to a chair, and sat me down, it was on purpose, patronizing.

"Funny how you took her around the table, takes twice as long." Dmitri commented.

"I don't want her to get hurt." She said. Now I wanted to snort. I just wanted to figure out more about what I was, who I was, then I wanted to be free to choose which life I wanted, one in their clutches, or a hidden one among the world. At the moment, I was leaning towards the later. I felt the chair move as Dmitri sat next to me.

"So," She started. "Tell me what happened to you?"

"I don't know how I got here. I don't remember that, and even a lot what happened was hidden from me. I was put on anesthesia tablets and so I don't know how he operated on me. But I can guess, at first it was my back so then it must have been him checking the connection with my nerves in my brain, and then my eyes, and so on. He wasn't just ruthless, everything done to me was calculated to try to fix me. The problem was, at all costs. I'm not ready to be shut down."

"Oh. So nothing hurt? Everything was sensible?" She sounded astounded.

"There was pain." I paused not sure what to say with Dmitri there, I may have no care for his father, but I didn't want to make my suffering sound too pronounced. No man's father should be a monster. "But it was only after the operations I guess. And I wasn't awake enough to really know what was happening."

"But you were hurt?"

"I was in pain, not purposefully hurt. All my parts are intact."

"What of your mind?" for some reason I started to feel afraid.

"My mind?"

"Did anything happen to your mind? Your thinking, your feeling, your mind?"

"I-I don't know. All I know is sometimes, I felt a heaviness. And that I couldn't really remember anything when I first woke up, as I woke more, I remembered more."

"I think they erased your memories. I think they did more than just operate on you. I think they implanted something in you Shell. I don't think the pain is normal. Do you remember feeling pain in America after operations?"

"I don't remember, but I remember hating it just as much." I spat.

"We were trying to help you."

"That's what the doctor said too. He was trying to help me, to fix me, to make me normal. I'm fine the way I am."

"No you're not. You need to see that you'll never be able to live your purpose without the operation for your eyes. You have to have them fixed to live Shell." My eyes started to feel heavy, and I realized that tears were piling up. They dropped down my face, and I had no strength to wipe them away.

"I--don't--believe--you," I choked out.

"Hey, Shell." Dmitri cooed, stroking my hair softly as I heard him shuffle over. "It's fine, shhh. Don't cry. Please don't cry."

"Honey, I'm sorry, I think maybe you need some rest. We'll leave tomorrow." Myra said. I stood up quickly.

"I am not going anywhere with you!" I yelled. Then I reached next to me and felt for Dmitri's hand, when I found it I grabbed it and pulled him up, starting to walk away.

"Don't do this Shell. Please don't do this, we're trying to help you! There are bad people out there. You're going to get hurt!" She was screaming. "I don't want you to get hurt!" I stopped and whipped around.

"I'd rather get hurt, and die out in the real world, living a real life rather than being stuck in a fake world living a lie for you, the Russians, the States or anyone else for that matter!" Then I started to run, holding onto Dmitri's hand. He soon took the lead, and for that I was grateful and we got out of the hotel. Fresh air. Breathing. I tried to focus on those two things for as long as I could.

"Shell, are you alright?" I felt Dmitri's hand against my face, wiping away the rest of the tears. "Are you sure this is what you want?" I tried to smile, feeling comfort in his touch.

"Yes. For now, I am very sure this is what I want. I'm sorry I dragged you into this. You don't have to help me, you can go home or wherever you want. I'll figure things out."

"There's nothing to be sorry for. I don't want to go home, I haven't done for years. I want to help you. I-I can't leave you alone." His voice had crept to a whisper, and it was hard to hear what he had said. "Anyway, we should find something to do. Standing here for the rest of the day isn't going to be too interesting."

67 Reviews

Fri May 09, 2014 2:50 pm
Auxiira says...

I held Shell's hand, our fingers twined together, feeling completely natural. It didn't feel awkward after an afternoon of walking around Moscow together. Now that it was getting dark, I wasn't too sure what we should do, but it didn't seem to matter much. The lights shining from everywhere made it feel unreal. Ever since I had met Shell, my life had seemed like a dream which would disappear as soon as I woke up. I hardly saw anything that I passed, just happy to be there with her. It had been ages since I had been so content around someone else.

Once we had moved away from the hotel, she had seemed calmer. I had taken her to the places I loved in Moscow, painted her a picture of how I saw them. My favourite museums had been the first on the wandering tour, then we had stopped off at a café for dinner. She had seemed as happy as me, the happiest I had seen her in the few days I had known her. I was glad that I had saved her. I had never been able to leave a friend in a bad situation, and she had become a friend faster than I had even noticed. I watched even now as she had a big smile on her face.

"This place, the whole freaking world, is just so beautiful. I loved that second museum, the one with touchable art, that was spectacular. I could feel the paint strokes And the way you described the trees, the flowers, the rivers, and mountains. That must be why you traveled so much! Other than your father of course?"

I grinned at her enthusiasm. "Yes. But also to meet other people, and to find different ways of thinking. People who just live make this world worth being in. And there are so many people fighting for others, so much to live for."

"That sounds amazing. I agree, there is so much to live for. And I want to be one of those people who just live and I want to live free!" With that she lifted her hands up to the sky and spun around, making me laugh. "Where's one place you've never been you'd like to go?"

"Asia. I've never been to Asia. It's meant to be an amazing place. I'd love to go with a friend, I only ever travelled by myself before. Living free of everything, just with a little money, a little language and no idea of where you want to go is the best way to do it." I twirled her around, laughing with her.

"Asia! There's so much culture there. I would love to go." She looked down. "Hopefully when all this blows over, I'll need a low profile, and I'll go anywhere. Asia is so filled with people, and, so, it'll be the best place to go. The best place to be, free." Then she looked up, even though I knew she was blind I could see her crystal blue eyes sparkling.

Smiling, I messed up her hair. "It'll blow over faster than you think, I'm sure." I glanced around the street, narrowing my eyes at a couple of men following us before turning back to her. "Though it may take a little while." I dropped my voice a little, tensing. "There are some men following us..." She looked a little worried.

"Should we walk away slowly, to an alley or run like the wind?"

"Let's just walk away slowly. Maybe they'll find someone else to follow." Or maybe they've been told to follow us. I didn't voice my thoughts, didn't want her to worry any more than she already was.

"Alright. We'll just walk towards the bike then?"

"Yep. We'll be fine, it isn't too far away." Glancing behind me, I could see then coming a bit closer and walked a little faster. Stepping down an alley I thought was a shortcut, I swore as a wall blocked the end. I gripped Shell's hand a little harder as we turned back around. The men were already there, blocking the exit.

"Shell... we're in a bit of trouble now..." I muttered anxiously.

"Why? What's happening?" her voice was a whisper, sensing the trouble around. The men started to advance as I thought furiously of a way around, behind, or through them.

"We're in a dead end." Though they were dressed normally, and tried their best to act like regular thugs, they didn't have all the openings that normal people had. Narrowing my eyes, I could see the bulge of guns at their waists. A flash of panic made me faulter. If they were normal people, I would've been able to get us away, it wouldn't have been that hard. If they were who I thought they were - people with the government - then they'd be there for Shell, and they wouldn't go before they had her.

Stepping in front of her slightly, I called out to them. "How may I help you, friends? We don't have anything you'd want."

"Won't you share your girl with us?" I could hear a slur in his words, but his eyes were too alert for him to be drunk. I clenched my teeth, frowning.

"Sorry, I don't think she'd like you." I saw their smirks as they glanced at each other and moved closer.

"We'll just take her then, shall we?" I managed to block the first punch and get in a few of my own before one of them got me in the stomach, winding me. I stumbled to the side a little, unable to dodge the foot that kicked my legs from underneath me, and the heel that connected with my cheek. I groaned as one of them stood on my hand then reached for Shell.

"Shell," I muttered. "Don't let them catch you." My world shrank to fighting the darkness brought on by their blows.

159 Reviews

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:53 am
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

It was torture. Not being able to see as I heard groans of pain from him. It was torture that I was paralyzed when I should have moved. Torture that instead of doing something, I could do nothing. I was confused, lost, and dead. Everything felt like I was spinning, my stomach was churning, my heart stopping and then,

"Shell," At my name I woke up. I revived. "Don't let them catch you." Just as he said it, I felt a hand on my arm; I quickly yanked my arm away as hard as I could, and surprisingly, the hand couldn't hold on. I kicked wildly into the air and swung my arms, I managed to hit flesh at least once.

"Get away! Go!" I yelled before I let out a bloodcurdling scream, hoping someone would hear it and call for the police. I felt hands on me again, I pulled myself free and held onto the hand, and bit into it, the hand pulled away from my teeth yelling in pain. I continued trying to blindly attack the men, when I heard a very familiar voice.

"Shell, take him and run! He's on the floor beside you!" and then after a few gunshots, "Now Shell! Go! Use your senses." I listened this time, I grabbed below me until I felt his hand, I took it and pulled him up, it was easier now that I realized my strength. I pulled his arm around my shoulder and started to half run, half limp towards the direction my 'vision' (me visualizing a potential situation or place) told me was an opening. Apparently it was and I continued dragging us away from danger. I went a couple more feet before becoming tired and then heard footsteps behind me.

"Keep walking, I'll direct you." The voice came from Myra. I recognized it fully now that I could think properly. So I kept walking, and she directed me while helping me take half of Dimitri's weight. It wasn't easy but it wasn't difficult either, somewhere in between, it made me feel good to be "inhuman" for once. We arrived at the hotel rather quickly from where I had thought we had left, not to mention all the stares we must have gotten taking a very injured person somewhere. When we entered in the hotel Myra told me to wait somewhere while she would explain our situation, or in other words, lie. I waited patiently while my arm holding him up by his waist was hurting a little, I ignored the pain. She came back soon enough and we balanced his weight as we went to elevator. Once we were alone I turned to where I assumed was her face.

"What did you say?" I asked, curious of how she'd be able to get away with taking an injured man to a hotel room, when he might bleed over furniture or the carpet.

"I told them that I was a certified doctor, and then showed them my certificate. I told them that it was a scuffle and he could be fixed up quickly. No big deal." I held back my scoff, she was gloating, proud. She's the one who got him in this position. I only nodded.

As soon as we got inside the hotel room we went full on hospital mode. I made the bed comfortable and placed him on it. We sterilized the plastic cups they had and used them to harbor balms and such medical equipment. His shirt came off. In that moment I was glad I was unable to see, I would have probably cried. There was a small gasp that came from Myra. "He looks pretty bad," she told me. "Like they beat him to a pulp. I'll need a balm for his brusies, but I think he's fractured something as well. He won't be able to move for a while. Can you feel on the small table for the balm?" She added. I nodded and quickly felt for the healing medicine. One of the older inventions that has been enhanced, this balm is specifically for deep injuries, it should help numb pain as well. After getting it I handed it over. "You could help too." She told me. I shook my head and felt my face heat up, I didn't want to hurt him. After she was done, I guessed, she sighed. She then handed the balm back to me. I set it down as I heard a moan from Dmitri.

"Dmitri!" I exclaimed rushing over to the bed. I felt for his hand, took it. "He's in pain, Myra. What do we do?"

"Of course he's in pain! Let me inject the morphine and he should be fine, knocked out but fine. I suggest three weeks, in three weeks we can start seeing if he's able to walk or not."

"Three weeks my ass," came a mumbled groan from Dmitri's direction. I grinned. "And don't get that thing anywhere near me." I couldn't help just smiling. He's awake! And to me that meant he was okay, that he'd be okay. New emotions rushed through me and tried to hide them. I still grinned though.

"Glad to know you're alive." I teased.

"It'd be nice if my body could remember that." He started to cough, then groaned. I felt worried. Myra laughed.

"Now you see why I'm trying to help you, smart guy? You need some kind of pain killer. And you try moving and see if you can go anywhere." She said, annoyed.

"I think I'll stay here. This bed's pretty comfy." He squeezed my hand. "Are you all right, Shell?" I started smiling again.

"I am now. I was a little shaken up--okay, not a little. Anyways, thank you for fighting for me. You saved me. I owe you one. I wish I hadn't dragged you into this, you should be going to China and having adventures, and I should be getting brain surgeries and being a 'better' human so that this world can be saved. Instead you're beat up while trying to save me. Not fair, I'm sorry." I was frowning slightly when I finished.

"Whoa, don't say things like that. You don't owe me anything. No one should have anything done to them. I chose to help you and even if I went back, I would chose to help every time. If this is anyone's fault, it's mine. Don't you dare think like that." Anger fueled his voice. "D'you hear me, Shell?" Tears were welling up in my eyes. I knew he could see me so I only nodded. "Good." The anger left him and his grip on my fingers weakened.

"Okay love birds, looks like he needs some medicine. I won't give you morphine but you have to take pain killers and sleeping pills. Deal?" Myra interjected.

He hesitated, then sighed. "Fine. Just give them here." He shifted, and I heard the rattle of pills being tipped into his hand. He gulped them down. I heard the bed ruffle as he lay down. "Don't go anywhere." he whispered.

So I didn't. I stayed by his bed until I started to get sleepy. I could hear Myra pulling a chair near me, and then she told me to sit, I sat there, took his hand sometimes, other times just stayed near him. Myra had brought a chair for herself and sat next to me.

"You like him." It wasn't a question, it was a fact. I did not reply. "Shell, that's dangerous."

"For who, me or you?" I asked, surprising myself. Myra sighed.

"For all of us. For him."

"How? And why? Why do I have to do any of it, why can't I just run away and live my own little life?"

"You weren't created for your own little life Shell, you have a mission, just like I do. You don't think I have felt emotions towards mere humans before?" I couldn't see her face, but I turned to the direction of her quivering voice.

"What happened?"

"They killed him." I took a breath.

"Who-who's they?" I dared to ask.

"The very same people who tried to grab you. If you come with me, they will not harm you. They have two sides, good-the side with the mission-and bad-the side where people fail the mission. They can kill you anytime they want to, but they won't, they need you, they will though, kill him. They will kill anyone stopping you from doing what you have to. And that means, unfortunately, they will kill anyone you love."

Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief