z

Young Writers Society

Runaway Rails and Archaeology

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:07 pm
Baroness says...

Alright, I have two ideas--however they require four people each, including myself. I'm going to post up the barest of synops here and if anyone is interested in the roles in either RP, just reply.

The first one is Runaway Rails--
It's about two girls, sisters, who grow up in the West, just around the time when cars start being a regular mode of transportation. Horse and carriage is still used, and so is the rail. They grow up in an abusive household. Kat (the elder) ends up taking a frying pan to their father's head when he attempts to attack Marie (the younger) in a way that he'd only attempted with Kat before (we're talking real trauma here). In a panic, the girls quickly pack up, grab the money they have saved and steal whatever money they can find from their father's room, and then rail hop--unfortunately for them, the first car they get into is already occupied by a couple of rough and tumble street rats (clearly, being chased by a sheriff or two). The boys (or one boy one girl, however you fancy it) are not dumb, they know abuse when they see it. Forced together for the next few days, the four start to learn about one another on a level that only comes with the need to survive. Their journey together is one mapped with pain, troubled pasts, false bravado and finally, learning how to trust.

All I know is that I would like to play Kat. The younger sister and the other train-riders are open. Romance is encouraged, but not required.

The other story doesn't have a title yet, but it's about archaeology. And is mainly a romance. It's also better mapped out, and has four distinct characters.

Reah Donovvin is 28 years old, recently widowed and recently an orphan. She had been married for 8 years to a wonderful man and raised a child who is now a beautiful 8 year old girl with her mothers blond hair and her fathers black eyes. Her husband was killed in the same crash that killed her father as they flew to visit her on her newest dig; her mother had been dead since she was 5. The devistating deaths had brought her daughter to her with wide eyes and suitcases filled as she transfered from the only home she knew in New York, NY, to Dowth, Ireland. The dig was in a valley, and with no other family members to care for her child and not wanting anyone to care for her in this time of grief, Reah had sent for her daughter so she could hold her.
-
It has been several months since the deaths, Katherine [Kitty], has been doing well learning to understand the Irish lingo from her mother and the other people, and could be expected to travel to school. The little girl had dealt with her father and grandfathers death hard, but picked up after the first month. Reah, relieved that her daughter seems to be doing well, returned to the site; occasionally bringing her daughter with her.

What she doesn't know, though, is that now that she is a widow, she is a candidate for pursuing- even though it is so soon after her husbands death. Most of the men on the team have old views on how a woman should act, and are set and determined to turn her into a house wife, not the intelligent and determined woman she is now. The women are on her side, and hate to see such a gentle woman pursued especially so soon after the tragedies. Reah, however, doesn't notice. She buries herself in work and only comes out to see and analyze the things found. Her one true friend, and the only one she talks to is the young secretary that she had interviewed and found to be sufficient. The young girl named Calliya helps as much as she can, organizing Reah's rather messy work area so it's neat and she can work.
-
On the other side of the work place is Reah's best friend, comrade and cousin, Mark. He is only 20, but came along on the dig because it was a wonderful opportunity for him to make his living as an archaeologist. He has been trying to keep his business and romantic life separate, but keeps finding himself drawn to Reah's workplace so he can see Calliya. He blames the constant visits on wanting to make sure his older cousin is well, and in truth that has some connection, but he is mostly interested in Calliya. It helps, of course, that the man that he is studying under has had an affection for Reah since long before her husband died.

Aiden Coghlan, the man that Mark works for, doesn't agree with the other men that think Reah should be gone from the business and has unbidden taken it upon himself to keep her safe. To be something of her protector. To him, she seems fragile and weak, but his over-bearing protection has started a fury fueled by grief that might keep him forever away from the woman that he only seeks to keep happy and safe.

I would be Reah in this one.
Also, I'm not opposed to playing male characters; it just so happens that in these two I would like to be female.

Right, well. That one clearly needs some work. They both do. Anyway. There they are.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:54 pm
crossroads says...

It's not like I'm following you around, I just happen to find your posts. Really.
I'd like to be Marie in the first one ^_^ currently I'm doing two others, so I think I'll limit myself to just one of yours :3
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

8 Reviews

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:00 am
Baroness says...

AriaAdams wrote:It's not like I'm following you around, I just happen to find your posts. Really.
I'd like to be Marie in the first one ^_^ currently I'm doing two others, so I think I'll limit myself to just one of yours :3

Please, follow me. XD I happen to like you. HAHA. Do you know of anyone else who might be interested in either -ah- storybook?
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:00 pm
crossroads says...

Very well then ^_^
I like you too xD

Umm.. I don't really know people here.. But you might maybe put it in your signature or something, so people see it whenever you post :p
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

8 Reviews

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:03 pm
Baroness says...

Hello again~ Just seeing if anyone else might be interested in either of these...

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.
— Maya Angelou