z

Young Writers Society

Middle of Nowwhere

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:38 am
TNCowgirl says...

Toby started barking from the house right after a soft thud sounded. Aviva picked up her skirt and tore to the house Colt right behind her. Damon was on the floor a frown on his face as he tried to get back up.

"Are you trying to make it so you have to stay here longer?" Aviva asked her hands on her hips. She reached down putting his arm around her shoulders. "Up we go." She slowly helped him stand moving him onto the porch, maybe some air would do him good.

"Is there anything to do here?" Damon grumbled and she bit her lower lip thinking.

"If you want you can shuck some corn and get the beans ready for super." She smiled knowing he'd probably say no.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:57 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

"You are sure there is nothing else to do?" he asked, repulsed by the idea of actually making food.

Aviva raised an eyebrow. "Nope. Unless you need to sleep some more."

Damon groaned, angrily. "Well I guess I'll help as I have no other thing to keep my mind busy."

Aviva shook her head and chuckled. He didn't know if she was laughing at him, but he was still irritated. Yeah, this was all very funny.

"Do you even know how to shuck corn?" She asked. Damon shrugged.

"Can't really be that hard, right?" he asked.

"It's actually not."

He sat down at the table and watched as she pulled the husk and little white stringy stuff she called silk away from the corn. Once all of it was pulled to the bottom, she snapped it off and placed the corn to the side.

"Your turn," he said, raising an eyebrow.

Damon sighed and pulled the husk down. The silk was getting all over him and he didn't like the filmy, sticky feel of it on his skin. Then something moved. A white worm looking bug crawled over the golden corn.

"What the...disgusting!" Damon cried, turning his nose up at it. "These...worms actually touch your food?!"

Aviva actually laughed out loud and pulled the bug off, rolling her eyes at him. "Don't be such a drama queen," she laughed. "It's just a little worm. There's sure to be more of 'em too! And they touch everyone's food, even yours. So don't you be getting all girly."

Damon glared at her. "Excuse me for actually living a life that doesn't involve making everything I need. I have people who do that for me!"

Aviva rolled her eyes. "Just shell the beans, sissy," she told him.

Damon had never felt the urge to hit someone so bad. But she was a woman. Someone who was helping him. He growled low in his throat and turned to the beans.

"Honestly, the way people live," he muttered.

**Btw, I love shucking corn and shelling peas! I do it all the time with my grandma and everything always tastes better fresh! haha. **
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

110 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 am
TNCowgirl says...

**Especially when you grow it yourself. That's my favorite!! And thanks for saying the part about shelling the peas. I totally forgot what it was called. +I was worried you may not know waht shucking corn was :P **

Aviva quickly shucked two more things of corn and thenstuck them in the pot as she checked the meat she had made earlier. As he finished shelling peas she would cook them in another pot. The bread was already done and she couldn't wait to eat. Beef, corn, peas, and bread was one of her favorite things to make. She didn't make it a whole lot because she couldn't store beef like everyone else did cause she was only really feeding one plus the dogs, but one of her neighbors had brought her some over when they heard she was helping care for someone. They hadn't heard who it was yet though knowing the people around here it wouldn't matter to terribly bad.

"Miss Aviva?!" Someone called from the door. She jumped up and opened it smiling at the young Indian boy.

"Black Wolf!" She smiled at him. "What are you doing here?"

"Black Hawk can't make it, said for me to come and watch over you sense there was a strange white man here." Black Wolf replied stepping in the house after the dogs let him pet them. "Something smells good."

"Thank you, it won't take to terribly long for it all to finish." She smiled back at him.

"Can I help?" Black Wolf asked.

"Could you go check some of my traps and bring back three rabbits to cook for the dogs. If you find any would you mind skinning, gutting, and butchering them?" She asked. He nodded turning and running back out the door.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:23 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

**I know right! Except my mom's garden got overrun by weed so all we got was potatoes, grapes and tomatoes. :P haha. And I'm from NC! Not knowing how to shuck corn is a crime. xD**

Damon thought it rather barbaric to set traps and butcher rabbits. He had never heard of such things before. It was honestly a little crazy to him.

He finished shelling the peas and rubbed his hands on his pants trying to rid his fingers of the oily feel. This really was his own personal hell.

But he really couldn't complain. It was either this or go hungry. It was that moment that he really began to miss home. Especially his servants.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

110 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:27 am
TNCowgirl says...

****That's just how it's always been for my family, we grow gardens and the whole nine yards though I need to learn how to can. :D ****

"There is some soap over at the wash basin if you want help over there so you can wash your hands." Aviva said noticing him rubbing his hands on his pants. He frowned but nodded so she helped him over there. While he washed his hands she added some more wood to the fire hearing Black Wolf come back with the meat. She put it on the fire to cook for a short period for the dogs to eat. All the food would get done at the same time.

"Black Wolf, help him back over to the table please." She said as she set plates at the table. Black Wolf nodded walking over to Damon and slinging Damon's arm over his shoulder and lifting him up like a sack of potatoes nearly before depositing him in a chair. Aviva did her best not to laugh at the look on Damon's face. Black Wolf meant well but that didn't seem to matter to the Duke.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:21 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

**We have trouble with our garden cause I live out in the woods and so deer and rabbits get our garden a lot. And it'shard to keep them away. We've tried just about everything. :/And canning is easy! Promise. Well, actually, the only thing I can do is make peach preserves and strawberry jam, but my grandma is going to teach me to can eventually. XDD**

"I am NOT a sack of potatoes," Damon growled. He had never been treated so disrespectfully before. "Now please unhand me, and do not carry my like that again. I do appreciate ones help with moving around, but I am not a child and I won't tolerate you carrying me around like that."

Black Wolf, what Aviva had called him anyway, looked slightly confused and angry and turned to the girl as if asking a silent question.

She laughed and rolled her eyes. "Damon is a Duke. He pretty much thinks he's th greatest thing about. He's frustrating, but he won't be insulting you in my house anymore."

She glared at him, as if daring him to disagree with her.

Damon narrowed his eyes in response but didn't say a word. He was beginning to get really irratated with this woman and her ridiculous house rules. He tapped his foot, furiously, on the floor, the only thing that could keep him silent.

"Excuse me!" he said with biting scarasm. "Please tote me like a toddler anywhere you wish, good sir! I don't mind! I'm not a grown man! It wouldn't be more helpful if you could just help support me as I walked to the chair."

Damon had never acted so immature before in his life, but these circumstances weren't helping him. He wasn't thinking before he spoke and his injuries weren't helping him either.

Three to four weeks were starting to look a lot longer than he thought before.

110 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:23 pm
TNCowgirl says...

"Black Wolf, please get the meat off the fire for the dogs and feed it to them while I dish up some food." She said as she stood up walking over to her stove ignoring the immature retort that Damon had said. She dished up the food as Black Wolf divided the food for the dogs.

"Here you are, Damon." She said giving him a plate of food, then setting down another for her and Black Wolf pouring coffee in three cups then setting it down too.

**Sorry, I'm slightly mad and can't think.**
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:42 pm
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

The food wasn't at all like the lavish and exotic dishes he had served at his home, but he had never tasted anything like it. The vegetables...they were so crisp and sweet. It was odd how strong and wonderful they tasted out here. Maybe it came from Aviva having them so fresh. It could take weeks for Damon to have his imported.

The bread was also very different. The food actually wasn't that bad out here. He was instantly shocked and pleased. He'd never admit it, but he enjoyed his meal. Damon definitely knew the best part of his meal was the coffee. Coffee was an expensive drink out East. He had it by the boatloads though. It was his favorite drink because he absolutely loved the bitter drink and it could keep him well energized for the long hours.

He sipped the drink, closing his eyes and savoring it. It was like a small cup of home to him. Maybe if he closed his eyes long enough all of this would vanish. Maybe if he pretended hard enough he could feel his mother's hand on his shoulder or picture her smiling at him and telling him how he would take his fathers place as Duke and how amazing he would be. The proud way she displayed him to the world. They way she told him she believed in him. Would she do that now? He didn't want to know.

"Are you tired, Damon?" a voice interrupted.

He opened his eyes, slowly and shook his head. "Not too much. I was just thinking," he muttered, sipping his coffee once more.

**I'm sorry! :( What happened?**

110 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:02 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

She nodded and kept sipping on her coffee after she had finished eating. She ran a list through her head of the things that she needed to get done or work on tonight. She cleared the table, washed the dishes, and then picked up her quilting and started working on the quilt. It was a brown and a earth blue color that she had indulged herself in getting to make this quilt.

"I be back." Black Wolf said slipping out and leaving as the dogs walked in and laid at her feet.

***Stupid lady not keeping her end of the deal.***
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:24 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Damon chuckled a little at the dogs.

"When someone leaves, there is also someone else to take their place," he said, amused. "The dogs, that first Native man, Colton, that Black Wolf man, and then the dogs again. It's really quite funny."

"I don't think so. They only are using valuable time to watch me because they are trying to protect me from the bad man in my house," she said, glaring darts at him.

"Touche," Damon said, still laughing. "Very intelligent of them too. A pretty lady like you should not be left alone anyway. Especially not with the likes of me."

He grinned at her dangerously. "Although I'm not too much of a threat now."

110 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:29 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Aviva frowned looking at Toby and Haven. She finished the stiching on the quilt and looked back at Damon her eyes flaming.

"Even of normal perfect health you pose no threat to me." She replied her eyes challenging him. "I have lived out here for six years on my own now, many a stupid man have found out I can take care of myself and they best make a wide birth around my property. A duke with a big ego is no different." She replied as she held the quilt up to inspect it before she folded it up and set it in a trunk picking up a blanket she was knitting. Winter wasn't to terribly far away and she needed to be ready for it.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:02 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

"I have no doubt you can take care of yourself," Damon said sitting up, wincing a bit. "However, I am not most men. And I am the one thing that your friends or your dogs or even you can save yourself from."

"Oh really?" Aviva said, hotly. "What makes you so special. Even without my friends or my dogs you can't touch me," she hissed.

"I don't need to touch you to hurt you, honey," Damon laughed. "You see, because they can't protect your heart. That's my greatest weapon against women like you."

Aviva looked at him incredulously before she fell into a fit of laughter. "So you do have a sense of humor!" she gasped between breaths. "Because that is really funny!"

Damon grinned at her, confidently. "Laugh while you can, love. Women are my vice and they are drawn to me like flies to honey. Oh, I'll admit I have a big ego, but I've earned it. You'll see. I will make you fall for me, darling, just to prove my point...but I have yet to fall in love with a women. Besides, you wouldn't be my type. So I apologize ahead of time for breaking your heart."

**Sorry Damon is so dang cocky. XDDDD P.S. I'm sorry about the woman!**

110 Reviews

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:11 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Aviva couldn't help but laugh so hard she nearly fell out of her chair. IT took her a good ten minutes just to stop laughing.

"Oh, well then mister Damon. You're going to have to stay here for years and years if you plan on trying to achieve that." She shook her head laughing again. "You see, falling in love would just be a hinderance for what I'm trying to do here. I have no need for a man and no want for one either." She smiled with a laugh. "Especially one that can hardly survive shucking corn."

**So he should fall for her but her not for him for a little while. :P**
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:51 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

**Of course!! Gotta put a dent in the ego somehow! xD**

"You might not need a man, Aviva, but you do want one. Every man wants a woman and every woman wants a man. No one wants to be lonely. I may not believe in spending your life with just one woman or man, but everyone needs someone and I like options," Damon laughed. "Love is fickle and false. Only misinterpreted lust. As for shucking corn...I can do a lot of other and better things than that, baby."

"Now, watch yourself. I won't be having you talk like that in this house," Aviva said, hotly. "And my name is Aviva. That's all you need to call me."

**Brain dead! D: P.S. Sorry for being gone so long. XDD School paper. :P**

110 Reviews

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:59 pm
TNCowgirl says...

"Also, I am not lonely here. I couldn't be happier in the life that I have." She replied standing up and pouring herself more coffee. "Plus, I'm young I have time to achieve all I need to in life. Right now a man does not fit into my plans, and when I set my mind on something I don't change it." She sat back down taking up her knitting and starting a new scarf. She'd be prepaired for the harsh winter, even more so this year then she normally was because she had been traded more wool yarn then she knew what to do with for a team of draft horses.

"Oh, and love is not fickle or false. Obviously you just haven't found the right person. Doubt you ever will with the attitude you have towards it. But what my parents had was not fickle or false." She smiled as she remembered her parents and started humming as she knitted. She missed her parents more than anything but they would be happy with where she was no doubt.
Want a Readers crit???

Perfect kindness acts without thinking of kindness.
— Lao Tse