z

Young Writers Society

Middle of Nowwhere

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:18 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Aviva- http://loveislife-hannah.tumblr.com/pos ... r-in-a-few

Aviva frowned as she watched the carriage barreling through her property. She edged around the edge of the woods watching it as Toby and Haven, her dogs, stayed right at her side. She followed it until it stopped in the middle of the field. She was shocked to see them throw a person out and then take off again. The carriage didn’t belong way out here in the west, but it was there. She frowned as she waited til it was all the way gone before whistling to her horse that was a few feet away and walking towards the person that was laying on the ground.
When she got closer she saw that it was a man, and he was beaten near to death. She frowned as Toby and Haven sniffed at him,
“Black, down.” She ordered her horse who slowly lowered himself down to the ground on his belly. She used all her strength to pull the man over to her horse and up on his back. “Up.” The horse slowly eased himself up to a standing position as Aviva held the man onto his back.
*~*~*~*
When Aviva finally had gotten the man in her house and on the cot in her living room she quickly set to work fixing all his injuries. He was running a slight fever, so she put a cool cloth on his head. Once she had done all she could do she moved to the kitchen and started making some food. Toby and Haven laid on the floor between her and the stranger as she cooked.
Why did you bring a strange man here you fool! The last thing she needed was a stranger trying to tell her she was a woman that needed to be with society not running her own ranch. If nothing they knew how successful she was with the ranch maybe they would leave her alone about it all. Plus, it wasn’t like she was alone out here. Black Hawk came to visit with his family and tribe sometime. Though most white people wouldn’t count that as proper company unless they were friends with the Indians.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:40 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Damon was hurting bad. He should have left that woman alone. But he had believed he could have taken her to his bed, just like the countless other women he had. She had been very striking and teased him countlessly. Her husband realized what he was doing and outed him.

Now he had lost everything. Most of his power, a lot of his money, and his pride. He groaned a little as someone hoisted him off the ground. He knew where he was. The men who had beaten him had taken him out West....to that crappy, uncivilized place full of idiots. Just like that Colton and Ivy.

He wasn't thinking right. The pain was also not allowing him to stay conscious the entire time either. He felt a cool rag touch his forehead. He moaned a little. Some stupid country bumpkin probably picked him up. Maybe she even knew Ivy, and maybe she could help him find her. The mental girl and her husband technically owed her. Hopefully he could scare them into giving him money.

He was feeling a bit better and opened his eyes to stare at some dogs whose growls rumbled deep in their throats. Behind them...was a very beautiful woman. A country woman who probably couldn't string two words together. He sighed gently.

"Well, I take it you're my savior," he said ungratefully, with a bit of sarcasm laced underneath. "Could you please tell me where I am. Don't say your home either...I mean a place. Maybe you could tell me some roads or something?"

He said this all very slowly so she could comprehend. However from the look on her face he obviously said it too fast...or maybe he had made her angry, he didn't know. Either way, he needed to find some sort of civilization, even if he was too scared to go home yet.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

110 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:50 am
TNCowgirl says...

Aviva looked at the man fury running through her, she had taken him into her home, taken care of him and he was talking to her like she was some idiot. She was half a mind to sick Toby and Haven on him and turn him out to the wilderness.
“First off, talk to me like I’m stupid again and I will throw you out to die. Secondly, you are at least a three day ride on a fast horse from any town, and if you walk it it’s at least a week an a half in your condition.” She replied putting her hands on her hips. “Thirdly, that is no way to treat someone that has taken you into their home to help you. I would’ve expected your mother to have taught you better. As to where you are, you are as far out west as the farthest town is at the moment on my homestead.” She looked him over, his expensive looking clothes, his well trimmed hair even though it was a mess. She didn’t like the looks of him at all, he was the type of person she avoided her whole life and wanted to continue to avoid because they only brought her trouble.
What had she been thinking? For someone to have done this to him he must’ve done something bad. She knew why she had done it, because if she didn’t he would be dead and she couldn’t allow that to happen to someone not until she knew that they deserved it. He didn’t look to happy that she had talked to him that way but she really didn’t care. In his world no one of her class talked to him like that but in her world everyone was the same class and got the respect that they had earned.
The dogs growled louder this time as he shifted to sit up, obvious pain flashing across his face. She wanted to smile, for the way he had talked to her he deserved to be in pain. She quickly chided herself for the thought, he was a person in need and she needed to treat him like that. She knew that Black Hawk would be there later and she had her gun so she wasn’t worried about him hurting her, at least trying, the dogs wouldn’t let him close and he didn’t have a weapon. She had checked for one while she was checking for any other injuries.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:16 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Damon growled low in his throat, almost like the dogs.

"Well excuse me," he said, sarcasm as thick and rich as the fake accent he was laying on her. "I didn't realize that you had taken me into your home to help poor, little ole me."

Anger flashed across her features again. He had read that as stupidity at first, but this girl had some level of intelligence at least. For a moment he felt chagrined. She did have a point. What would his mother have said if she could have saw how he acted? How he had been acting for years. He pushed the thought to the back portion of his mind. However, he cleared his throat, painfully, and bowed his head.

"Excuse me, I've been rude. I'm sorry," he hissed through his teeth. The words felt like acid on his tongue. He wasn't used to saying those words or even saying those words to a woman! It burned all the way down to his toes, but he was not Duke Damon anymore.

And he needed this woman. For now.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

110 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:06 pm
TNCowgirl says...

"Please, don't mock me by apologizing when you don't mean it. Now, I'm going to help you to the table so you can eat some, it's the only way that you'll be able to get better. We gotta get your strength up." She replied as she set the soup she had made on the table with two bowls and two glasses of water. "And I swear if you act anything that isn't gentlemenly I will kill you in a heart beat." She walked over, hushing the dogs, and helped him stand up and move towards the table. When he was in his chair she moved to the other end of the table setting some meat down for the dogs to eat before she took her seat.

"Don't you think that is a waste?" He asked.

"I hunt that meat for them, all the rabbit traps that I have around here are half for them half for me. They protect me so they deserve to eat as well as I do." She replied. "Everyone here, even the animals earn their keep and their food. That is just how things work out here."
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:22 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Damon looked horrified. Earning your keep? What was this? Back to the caveman eras.

"So you mean to say...are there any markets? What about...servants and maids?" Damon asked, simply shocked. Too shocked, in fact, to be rude.

The girl laughed a little. "Like I said, the nearest town is three days away on a fast horse. For the things I can't hunt or make, I go to town."

Damon turned a sickly shade of green at the news. Actual work. He looked at his perfect hands, not marked by a single callous, and tried to imagine actually working. He didn't like the thought. He ate very little. Not because the soup was bad, he was shocked to discover he liked it, alhough he'd never admit it. However, he felt terrible and really just wanted to sleep and forget everything, including the outspoken woman. Especially her. He didn't like the way she spoke to him...he wasn't used to being talked to like that. In fact, he had taken care of anyone who had tried.

He didn't have that power any longer.

"Barbarians," he grumbled. The girl narrowed her eyes at him. He glared back until another thought rocked through his brain.

She was a very attractive woman. He, too, knew he wasn't bad looking. In fact, he had learned he could charm just about any woman he wished. He smiled slightly to himself. Maybe, when he was feeling better, he WOULD change his attitude. He would be the charming country gentlemen she was so used to. For now...he was too tired.

110 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:39 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Aviva finished off her soup just as Toby barked once at the door. Black Hawk was here. She got up and dished another bowl setting it on the table as she put her bowl in the washbasin. Black Hawk's footsteps sounded on the porch, and then the one solitary knock before the door opened. The tall Indian filled the door way, his black eyes taking in everything. They stayed on the stranger the longest, sizing him up, though by the look on Black Hawk's face as he sat down he didn't think the man at threat to him at all.

"Miss Aviva, is this the man the carriage threw out?" Black Hawk asked disgusted.

"Of course, I couldn't let the bears and coyotes get him." She replied as she grabbed another glass of water giving it to him.

"Thank you, what is your name?" Black Hawk demanded of the man a frown on his face.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:10 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Forgot to do this ages ago, but this is Damon: [img]
imagesCA0Q1GBS.jpg
[/img]

He studied the Native American man with scrutiny. He obviously didn't know what many of the finer things in life were. Like maybe a nice pair of clothes, for one. He sighed.

"I am Damon, if it really matters. And who are you?" he asked, not bothering to mask his contempt and irratation that the man had spoken to him without an ounce of respect. Just WAIT until he got his strength back.

But what could he do? He had lost everything. He was relying on the kindness of this country girl. He clenched his fists and grit his teeth. That was what was killing his pride the most.

When the man didn't answer he managed a bit of anger and bitter humor. "What? Cat got your tongue?"

He turned to the woman. He still didn't know her name, either. "Can you tell me his name...or yours for that matter?"

However, she wasn't paying him any mind. Her eyes remained on the mysterious looking Native American whose tall body was causing a long shadow across her face.

"Honestly!" he exclaimed. "What is with you people!?"
Attachments
imagesCA0Q1GBS.jpg
imagesCA0Q1GBS.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 222 times

110 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:29 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Aviva clenched her teeth. This was the man that had seperated Colt from his wife, the same man that had taken Haven from her. Black Hawk's jaw muscle twitched. Colt, Ivy, Adam, and Colt's sister were her only neighbors and more than once they had saved her life.

"Duke Damon?" She ground out. She saw his back stiffen a little. "The same scoundrial who feels it to be right to kidnap and try and force another man's wife to marry him? You are so lucky my mother raised me right. Cause I'd shot you myself if she hadn't."

"You can't stay here alone with him." Black Hawk growled frowning at Damon. "It not safe!"

"Black Hawk, though I respect you greatly this man is of no danger to me. Without his power, which obviously he has lost, he is not a threat at all." She replied standing tall and frowning at him. "Though as soon as he is healthy he will be gone. I'd worn Colt and Ivy he is here though."
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:11 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

"I have not lost my power, little girl," he hissed. "I had a group of filthy peasants who decided to highjack me and beat me because they didn't like me."

He stood up, clinging to a chair near his bed, his legs shaking with the effort. Despite the fact that he was hurt, charisma and power still radiated from his form. He had been born into power and a little bump in the road would not stop him.

The dogs growled audibly and crouched low, as if to pounce and the Native man stood a little taller.

"I do what I have to do. You, you pathetic, navie, innocent child would no nothing of that!" he said in more of a croak than a yell. "I am still a Duke! You are born into power and will not lose that because some idiotic middle class men decide to band together to beat the life out of someone. Don't worry, I will take care of them when I am able once more. They sought to kill me, so my brother would have the power, and if you think I am bad..." he chuckled, ending that thought.

He had almost revealed too much to these people. Way too much. However, he stopped talking of his brother and decided it was best not to tell them that his search party wouldn't be looking too hard for him. And the fact they probably wouldn't come this far out.

"As for Ivy...well I don't regret it but I did go about it the wrong way. Where I come from we have arranged marriages. If you buy a woman to marry, yes, yes, don't get all feminine on me, it's just how things work," he said, annoyed when the woman gave him a look. "I was promised Ivy. I lost my temper to realize that she had been married out here. I'm telling you now, I had a lot to cover up. I DO have to keep up an image, but you wouldn't understand that either. Anyway, yes, I went about it the wrong way but...well she was still promised to me."

The woman still looked pissed and the Native man looked very wary as to leave her with Damon. He wanted to grin to himself. His mother had once told him when he was a young teenager, that no woman's heart was safe when Damon was after her. He sighed, sadly.

"People will come searching for me," he added, quietly settling on the bed again. "I don't know how long it will take them to get here, they probably will only just reach the town and I shall be out of your hair for good. Once I return you will be paid handsomely for your time and will hear no more of me. I will be in your debt until then," he grumbled. This was all they would get out of him.

110 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:35 am
TNCowgirl says...

Aviva couldn't help but start to laugh. "You think I'm doing this because I want your money?!" She demanded. "You've got to be kidding me. I'm doing this because you are a human being in need of help. So if you think you are going to pay me one dime you are mistaken. I also doubt anyone is coming to look for you from what I understand people don't tend to try and find people that are mean to them. I don't care how things are run out East. But they are different here and that is just how it is. I don't care how things are done in the East you will need to figure out our way of life and abide to that. End of story." She replied firmly.

"But..." He started.

"Do not argue with, Aviva, no one wins when they do. If you give her a hard time you're 'search party' will be finding a body." Black Hawk replied gruffly.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 am
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

"I do not respond well to threats. Nor do I appreciate them," he said, coldly, his dark eyes turning near black. However, Damon was shaken. He was hurt. Bad. This man was more powerful than he, at the moment.

But Damon also realized something else. Something that scared him more than the girl, her dogs, and her native friend. So what if he died? What did he really have to live for? He'd disappointed and shamed his mother's memory. He'd lost his power...and it was so much easier to lose than to gain.

If he could find a way to return than he would have his Duke title earned once more, but it would be harder to control his people. There would be revolts and strikes and that was never fun. They might even persecute him so his brother could rule in his place.

Damon shuddered slightly. He was afraid to die...but did he want to live? The Native eyed him carefully and Damon felt his eyes droop as fatigue embraced him.

"I'd feel much better to pay you and be done with this mess, honestly," he said, shrugging. "If you won't take my money, I won't beg you. But money is not a problem for me."

The girl glared at him as if daring him to bring up the payment issue again. He shrugged, tired.

"The man said your name was Aviva, correct?" he asked. "Well I thank you for being so...uhm...noble. But as you said, I am not a threat at the moment. I obviously do not have my people backing me. You do not like me and I am not fond you either, but while you are taking care of me in this such state, I will try to do as you ask."

He did not smile, nor did he let any sarcasm enter his voice. He was being as sincere as possible. It hurt his pride and made his stomach churn but it was what he needed to do. He could feel his eyes drooping farther down.

"But, I do have one single request," he said. Both the man and Aviva looked shocked and angry at this. He didn't care.

"Do NOT bring my mother into this. Or blame how I am on her. You don't know her and what you said earlier about your mother raising you right...well just don't bring her into it anymore."

110 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:31 am
TNCowgirl says...

Aviva eyed him and then nodded. "Fair enough. Get some sleep, I have somethings I need to get done so don't be surprised if I'm not here when you wake." She replied as she turned and walked out the door. Black Hawk, Toby, and Haven following.

"Where are you going?" Black Hawk asked.

"To see Ivy and Colt. They need to know and I need to talk to Ivy to know who exactly is sleeping under my roof." She replied as she went to the barn to get her horse. He mounted his horse as she did her's and they took off for the hour's ride to Colt's and Ivy's. When they finally got there the dogs went in search of water imediately.

"Hello in the house." She called as she dismounted. Colt stepped out first as he always seemed too, Ivy right behind him. The baby probably asleep.

"Aviva!" Ivy grinned running over and hugging her. "What brings you over?"

"I'm afraid neither of you will like my answer to that." She replied as she returned the hug.

"Why wouldn't we be happy to see you, Aviva, you are nothing but a great friend." Colt replied frowning a tad. Aviva bit her lip.

"Promise to hear me out?" She asked gently. Ivy looked a little worried now as she went and stood next to her husband.

"Of course." Ivy replied.

"Well, I was riding through the woods today and saw a carriage barreling through my east pasture. It stopped, threw someone out, and then left again. I went over and found the young man that had been thrown out, he'd been beaten severly and so I took him home to help him." Aviva started.

"Like anyone out here would." Colt said interrupting.

"Let her finish." Ivy smiled at him.

"It wasn't until Black Hawk was there and the man woke up that we found out who he was." Aviva shifted uneasily. "He is a guest in my home so no harm can be brought to him not matter how I feel about it. That's how I was raised."

"Aviva, who was it?" Ivy asked concern all over her face.

"Duke Damon." Aviva replied biting her lip.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:51 am
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

"Do not argue with, Aviva, no one wins when they do. If you give her a hard time you're 'search party' will be finding a body," Damon mocked, angrily. He had just woke and was sitting on the bed, with as much dignity as he could muster.

"You will learn our ways of life," he said in a falsely high pitched voice. "Great, just great. I'm stuck out here with this cocky, outspoken, naive, country woman. Oh yeah, this will be so much fun. How about we just throw a party!"

He knew that the pain was making him delirious, but he was still muttering to himself. He managed to stand and walk to the sink. Damon didn't know where the woman kept her stuff so he leaned his hips against the counter and looked out the window.

He wanted a bit of water but didn't know where to go. His servants usually kept a cool glass near him at all times in case he was thirsty. Then Damon spotted, out of the corner of his eye, a pump to manually get any water.

"Honestly?" he growled. "Great. Just fantastic!"

He grabbed a small bowl that Aviva had used to serve the soup and slowly limped toward the pump. Just as he reached the water pump his exhausted body fell, making him catch himself on the metal and wooden well like object. He strained but filled his bowl with water and slumped to the ground drinking deeply.

When he drained the bowl he sighed and shook his head. "How do people live this way?"

He passed out, unable to move back to the house.

----

Ivy gasped and she felt Colton's arms go around her waist. She snuggled against him.

"Oh, Aviva!" he said. "Get him out. I don't think you realize just how dangerous he is!"

Colton's hands were shaking slightly. "I'll talk to Adam and my sister. They can stay and Adam will take good care of Ivy and our boy. I think I should go back with you. I can't leave you alone with him Aviva!"

Ivy nodded vigourously. "Oh, this is bad. I mean, I'm glad people finally saw him for what he was," he face darkened, as she remembered. "But, he is not safe. He is very scary Aviva."

110 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:02 am
TNCowgirl says...

Aviva straightened her back a little. "But he is an injured human who until he is of better health will be staying with me. I felt I should let you know he was here and see what exactly type of a person he is. But I can't just turn him out of my house."

"But you must!" Ivy replied.

"Ivy, I can't. Not until he can fend for himself. He hasn't been full out rude yet and he'd be wise not to be. But he can hardly move, I would never be able to live with myself if I put someone in that condition no matter who they were out on the streets." Aviva replied.

"I understand what you are saying," Colton said though she knew he wasn't happy with it. "Like I said between me, Adam, and Black Hawk you will never be alone with him."

"That is your choice." Aviva replied. "Thank you though, it would make me feel better. Just knowing what I know about him makes me weary. Even if I knew who he was when I found him I would still take him in though."

"Let me get a few things, I'll stay the rest of the day with you so Black Hawk can go home." Colt replied.

"I'll be back at dark to sleep there." Black Hawk replied with a nod.

"We better get back, I don't want him alone in my house for to long." Aviva replied. "I'll meet you back there." She gave Ivy a hug then mounted up and rode back towards her house. Colt caught up with her half way back and they got there together.

When Aviva walked in she found Damon slumped against the water pump. She frowned and hurried over.

"Help me move him back to the cot." She said to Colt whose face had grown a dark red. "If you can't be civil go back home."

"I'll be fine." Colt pushed out walking over and helping her move Damon who woke up half way to the cot.
Want a Readers crit???

I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic