z

Young Writers Society

Heart of a Bodyguard

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:36 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan groaned when her alarm buzzed right on time, at six in the morning.. She rolled over and slapped at her bedside table, trying to find the machine without opening her eyes. She finally hit the snooze bar on the top, and all went quiet. She grunted, sitting up and rolling to her feet. She sighed. Today was the day! It was her first day of her senior year!

She smiled, turning on her lamp and going to her closet. She found the most pressed, cleanest, purest uniform in her closet, with the pleated black skirt, the long-sleeve collared V-neck, her belt, a pair of tall white socks, and the black loafers. It was a terrible uniform, but with the right accessories it could be cute. She laid the clothes on her bed and went over to the dresser. She opened her jewelry box and found her pair of pearl and rhinestone chandeliers, a tiny complementary silver cross, and a black head band.

She smiled, completely forgetting about the young man that was just across the hall. "Best. Year. Ever!" she giggled, beginning to pamper herself.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:07 pm
Dynamo says...

She was in a good mood when she finished and headed downstairs. She was going to see all her friends again, and she would be able to call herself a senior. But that good mood disappeared when she came to the kitchen and saw Eric eating breakfast with the rest of her family. He was wearing the clothes her father had picked out for him the night before, a white dress shirt, black dress pants, and black shoes, and a tie. He ran his finger under his callar, as if the tie was too tight or he wasn't used to wearing one.

"Well, look who's finally up," Robert said jokingly when Meagan came into the room.

"I got up when my alarm told me," she said defensively, then turned her gaze toward Eric. "I'm sure you had to wake Eric up or he would have slept in."

"Actually, he was up long before any of us were. When I got up to get some coffee I found him in the backyard practicing..." he paused for a moment, then turned to Eric and asked, "What was it again?"

"Karate and a bit of Tai Chi," Eric answered before biting into a piece of toast.

Robert waved a finger at him. "You're really serious about your physical health, I like that. It should be no problem for you to keep my daughter safe at school, most of the boys there don't even go to the gym."
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:29 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan cleared her throat, going into the kitchen to get her fruit salad, cereal, and green tea. She came and sat down beside her mother, passing a fake smile at Eric. "So you do Karate," she said gently. "That's impressive. The only guys at the school that work out are the football players, but even they don't do that much."

She began to eat, trying to keep her mouth full so that she could avoid further conversation with him. She sighed, her mind racing. This is going to be so embarrassing! I'm going to school with a greasy Yankee who looks like he's on steroids! Maybe they would have different schedules and she wouldn't have to put up with him at all. Then she could have all the fun she wanted.

She relaxed, her mind going to thoughts about her little love interest. Brian, the handsome, blond baseball player... He would be a senior too, and the star athlete of the year. She and him, Brian and Meagan, the Alphas of Edgeworth Academy...
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:08 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

The thought of it kept her mind off the impending embarrassement of when she arrived at school with Eric. As they finished up breakfast, Meagan's father handed Eric a sheet of paper. "This will be your schedule for this half of the school year," he told him.

"Thank you," he said as he took the paper and began to memorize its contents.

"Richard has the limo out front waiting for you two," Meagan's mother said as she cleared up some of the dishes. "Have a good first day at school."

Meagan gave her mother a peck on the cheek. "I will, Mama," she said sweetly before doing the same for her father.

"Thank you for the great breakfast," Eric said as he got up to follow Meagan outside.

"Eric, a moment please," Robert said before Eric stepped out of the kitchen.

"Yes?" Eric asked, looking back.

Robert wiped his lips clean with a napkin before getting out of his chair and reaching into his pocket. "If you get any trouble from the principle in, shall we say, the line of your duties, I want you to have him call me," he said, handing the boy a business card. "I've already spoken to him about our arrangement, and though he doesn't quite agree with my decision he understands the sway I have with the school with all the fundraisers I contribute to. Hopefully it won't come to it, but if it does I'll set him straight if he won't listen to you."

Eric nodded before taking the card and tucking it into his front pocket with his wallet. "Keeping your daughter safe is my first priority, everything else is secondary," he told the man.

Robert smiled. "That's exactly the type of work ethic I like to hear. Now, I've kept you long enough. Wouldn't want to be late on your first day of school, would you?"

Eric nodded and headed out the front door. Meagan was already waiting in the limo. She had her head turned toward the opposite window so she was facing away from him when he climbed in.

When he took the seat beside her and closed the door, the girl asked, "Do you really need to sit there?" Eric could feel the agitation in her voice like a hot poker.

If that was the way they were going to play it, then so be it. Eric had a job to do, and he didn't have to act nice while he did it. "Does it really matter?" he asked, as if dismissing the question.

Meagan peered over her shoulder as he looked over his schedule once more. Without warning, she snatched it from his hands and looked at it herself. Eric said nothing, simply watched her as she scanned the paper.

Meagan lost all hope of having any kind of privacy at school when she saw Eric had the exact same schedule as she did. Her heart sank even deeper when she noticed a locker number written on the bottom of the page and recognized it as the one directly beside her own.

(I'd like Eric to have his first, let's say, "encounter" before class when one of the boys starts harrassing Meagan at her locker.)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:24 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan screamed in rage, throwing the paper down. "What the Hell, Daddy!" she cried. "This is going to ruin my senior year!"

She stared out the window, arms crossed over her chest and lip pouting out a little. She refused to even look at Eric the whole way to the school. She sighed, perking up a little when the long drive finally came into view, cars and buses letting hundreds of students out on the sidewalk in front of the two-story Gothic structure.

She turned to Eric slowly, glaring venomously at him. "I don't care if you are in all of my classes. Stay. Away. From. Me. Got it?" As soon as the limo parked, she was out and storming off, leaving him sitting behind in the car.

103 Reviews

Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:43 pm
Dynamo says...

Eric sighed in frustration as he slid across the seat toward the door.

"Don't be too discouraged," Richard said from the driver's seat. "Meagan's a good girl, once she gets used to you being here she'll behave."

"So everyone has been telling me," Eric said as he climbed out and headed for the front doors. Meagan had already bolted into the school by the time he left the sidewalk.

Meagan sneered as she dialed in her combination. Not only was he going to be in all of her classes, but he was taking the locker next to hers. How could her father do this to her? Wasn't it bad enough that he was going to the same school with her, now he had to be near her every second of her school life? It was unacceptable!

"Hey Meagan, did you miss me?" Recognising the voice, she frowned hard and turned to see the tall boy standing next to her.

"Screw off, Matt," she said as she opened her locker door. "I'm not in the mood."

He put his hand on her locker and closed it. Leaning in, he said, "But I am."
Last edited by Dynamo on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:46 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan took a steadying breath, rolling her eyes. Just breathe... Just walk away, she tried to tell herself. Just...walk...away... She huffed, turning as if to walk to class with nothing but her bag; she doubted the teachers would even care, it was the first day of school anyway.

Matt grabbed her by the arm, holding her fast. "Hey, where you going?"

She growled, trying to squirm and snatch herself away from him. "Let go, Matt!"

He shoved her against a locker, her arm twisted at a painful angle. "Listen here, bitch - "

Someone cleared their throat behind Matt, a finger tapping him on the shoulder. "What you want, I'm busy - " he snapped, glancing over her shoulder. He froze, eyes wide at the sight of the bigger boy behind him. "What?! Do something, or piss off!"

103 Reviews

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:28 pm
Dynamo says...

Eric complied by grabbed him by the collar, tearing him away from Meagan and throwing him across the hall. He slammed loudly into the lockers on the opposite wall. The other kids in the hallway all scattered as they began to form a semi-circle around the conflict.

"What the fuck is your problem!?" Matt yelled as he pushed himself away from the lockers.

Eric stood so his body directly blocked the other kid's view of Meagan. "You are," Eric told him. "Lay another finger on Meagan, and I'll break it in half."

"What, are you her boyfriend or something?" he asked in a tone that clearly said he didn't expect Eric to say yes.

Eric didn't disappoint him. "No," he said, then added as he cracked his knuckles, "I'm her bodyguard." That one statement brought great dread to the pit of Meagan's stomach. The hallway was full of students watching the fight, and all of them heard what he said. As far as she was concerned, her school year was ruined before it even had the chance to start.

Matt looked at him for a moment, then started laughing. "A bodyguard, really? Now that's a good one." He began to walk toward him, probably thinking to go around Eric and back to Meagan. He put a hand on Eric's shoulder as he started to pass. "Look, just get the fuck out of my way before I-"

Eric grabbed the kid's hand and twisted it at a painful angle. He yelped in pain as he went down on one knee. "Before you what?" Eric asked as he put a little more pressure on the kid's wrist.

"Let go of me right now!" he yelled, his voice straining from the pain. "My father will hear about this! He'll make sure you never step foot in this school again!"

"You think I'm afraid of a little pissant who goes running to his daddy at the first sign of trouble?" Eric asked as he lifted the kid back to his feet and shoved him away. "Why don't you be a man and fight me yourself, or is your dick too small?" The comment brought uproarious hoots from everyone who was watching. Soon all the kids in the hall were chanting "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

"What's going on? Break it up right now!" Two teachers waded through the crowd of onlookers to break up the fight before it could start.

(Matt is going to claim that Eric started attacking him for no reason, and then Eric is going to get sent to the principle's office.)
Last edited by Dynamo on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:19 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Matt's eyes twitched in anger. Meagan frowned, jaw dropping in horror as he put on a scared, helpless face and started trying to cower away from Eric. "M-Mrs. Grayson!" he stammered, making his voice jump a little in surprise. "You saw that! He attacked me! He had me pinned on the ground!"

Mrs. Grayson and the other teacher exchanged a look before swooping in on the pair. Mrs. Grayson, the older of the two women, with graying brown hair pulled back in a bun at the back of her head, came up to Eric. She put a hand out for him, gesturing for him to follow her. "I don't know your name, boo, but you're gonna have to come with me, now," she told him with a gentler firmness. "Nancy, bring Matt, please."

Meagan swallowed, almost interjecting. She watched Eric turn his back and walk proudly and dangerously back up the hall, going toward the principal's office with the woman. Matt sneered, making a quick grab for her hand as he passed her again. He mouthed back at her, What, then, bitch? You're mine now.

Anita bit her lip and went over to Meagan's side. The hallway began to bustle again as another teacher, Mr. Boreviere, better known as Mr. B, came out and shouted at the standing, stunned teens. "Get moving, yo! I see a bunch o'tardies 'bout to happen, and on day one too? Wow, ya'll lousy! Come on, get to class, get to class!"

"Meagan, what happened?" Anita asked as the petite scarlet re-opened her locker. Meagan would not answer; she didn't even hear Anita. She was chewing her lip nervously, thoughtfully. Eric did embarrass me, sure...but he was protecting me! What do I do? What do I DO! I can't tell on Matt; he'll just get worse. But...Eric! Oh my God, am I really sticking up for him?! He's so annoying and retarded, but... She groaned, shaking her head and closing the metal door with an aggravated slam. Anita jumped. "Meagan! What happened?"

I can't believe I'm doing this... She looked her friend in the eye, "I honestly can't stand that boy - well, shit, either one of them both! But as for what happened...the administration system is about to know."

103 Reviews

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:04 am
Dynamo says...

Eric sat in a chair in the office as he waited for his turn with the principal. Matt, the kid who forced himself on Meagan, had gone first. Through the door he could hear the kid making his case, putting up the scared victim act. Eric knew Matt's type, big talk but no courage to back it up. At the first sign of danger he runs to someone else for protection. He knew how to handle kids like that, especially if they didn't learn their lesson the first time. But right now, he needed to deal with the principal.

A few minutes later the door opened and Matt walked out. As he passed by Eric's chair the kid very discretely flipped him off. When the principal came to the door and waved him in, Matt got up and went inside.

The office was well furnished, with lots of bookcases and small statuets everywhere. The window off to the side displayed a perfect view of the football field outside where Eric saw a few people cleaning up after morning practice. The desk was large and neatly organized. Compared to the principal's office at his own school, which he knew a little too intimately, this room looked fit for a king.

"Sit," the principal said, pointing to the chair in front of his desk. Eric complied and sat down before the man did as well in his own chair.
Last edited by Dynamo on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:18 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

***You said "Kai" once. lol ***

The principal was a tall and beefy man, wearing what looked like a tuxedo with a red tie. He cleared his throat, folding his hands and resting on his desk top. "Now, Mr...." he looked down at the profile sheet, "Sanders, is it? So you're Robert's new investment, then. Well, Mr. Sanders, I am Dr. McGough, the head principal of this prestigious school. I just spoke with Matthew Collins, and I am not - by any means, Mr. Sanders - pleased with your first impression!"

He reached into his desk and pulled out a copy of the school's Rules and Regulations: Student Pamphlet, handing it to Eric. "You will need this, and I recommend you memorize it, boy. It's only day one, your literal day one under me, so I will let you off easy today! But you read the section on disciplinary action; I do not tolerate bullying and fighting, not for any reason. Attacking another student so blatantly as to have them pinned on the floor is grounds for immediate suspension, if your guardians don't consent to the paddle!" He pointed at the vibrantly shaped one-by-four paddle that was hanging on the wall by the door. "And repetitive incidences will get you expelled entirely. Do I make myself clear, Mr. Sanders?"

Meagan met Matt at the doorway; he rammed his shoulder into her, doing so with the right force and angle that his hand could brush her thigh. He chuckled crudely and began to saunter off toward class again.

She huffed, straightening her skirt and stepping into the office. The secretary smiled sweetly, looking up. "Hello, Meagan. How was your summer?"

"Good," she said with no emotion. "Is Dr. McGough here?"

The secretary's smile faded as she nodded. "He's with a student right now. What do you need?"

She bit her lip, sighing. "It's about what happened this morning, between Eric and Matt."

103 Reviews

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:12 am
Dynamo says...

(Thanks for catching that. :D )

Eric looked down at the pamphlet for a moment, then the paddle hanging by the door. The sight of it made him smirk a little. Turning back to the principal, Eric said, "Crystal clear. Now, can I have a chance to explain myself?"

"I've heard enough as it is. We're done here," he said, standing up and waving his hand toward the door.

Eric didn't budge from his seat. He merely looked at Dr. McGough and shook his head. "Ah-ah, that ain't going to fly. I've done this dance before, I'm not getting out of this chair until I have my chance to justify my actions. So, you can just sit back down, Doc."

Eric felt a ping of satisfaction when he saw the man's eyebrow twitch. "How dare you speak to me that way! As long as you are attending this school you will show me respect."

"I show respect to those who earn it," Eric said. "I can't say I'm surprised though, everyone immediately thinks the big guy is the one who did it. How long have you been working as a principal?"

"I have been the head of this school for twenty-three years," he said, and in his voice there was a tone of pride under the temper.

"And after all those years you can't recognise an act when you see one? That kid, Matt, was lying through his teeth. He was the one who started the fight when he started man-handling Meagan Sinclair. I was just doing my job and protecting her, because your staff can't do theirs. Did it ever occur to you to question some of the other kids who were watching the fight, or even look at the security cameras you have set up in every hall?"

Dr. McGough frowned hard. "I will not have a student telling me how to do my job. If you keep this up, I'm going to inform Mr. Sinclair about the stunt you pulled today."

"By all means," Eric said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out the business card Robert had given him that morning before handing it to the principal. "You can reach him at this number."

The man looked at him for a moment, as if he hadn't been expecting Eric to do what he just did. Straightening, he took the card and sat at his desk as he began to dial the numbers on his phone. He waited a bit for the other line to pick up, the said, "Yes, Mr. Sinclair? This is Dr. McGough. I'm calling you about Mr. Sanders, the boy you recently had enrolled with us. Yes, I'm afraid he attacked one of the other students." He paused a moment, flicked his gaze toward Eric. "Yes, he's here right now. All right." The man handed the phone to Eric.

Taking it, Eric brought it up to his ear and said, "I'm here, Mr. Sinclair."

"Tell me what happened, Eric," Meagan's father asked without missing a beat. Eric explained everything that happened to Robert. When he was finished Robert was silent for a moment, then said, "All right. You did good, Eric. Now, let me speak to the principal again."

Eric handed the phone back to Dr. McGough. When the principal brought it back up to his ear, he said, "I've already issued a warning, but if he does this agai- Yes, I- I understand, Mr. Sinclair, but- No, not at all!" The once stern-faced principal now looked flustered. "But, the other boy told me- Well, no... but- I was- Yes, but- Yes, yes I understand, but- Yes... Yes, I understand... All right, I appoligize for disturbing you." He hung up the phone before slumping just a little in his chair.

Eric could see the man's weariness. Leaning back in his own chair, Eric said, "It's not easy being a principal, is it?"

For a moment, Eric caught a hint of appreciation in the man's eyes. Before he could say anything, there was a knock at the door. Straightening in his chair, he said, "Come in."

The secretary opened the door with Meagan right behind her. "Sir, Meagan Sinclair is here. She wants to speak with you concerning the fight this morning."
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:39 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Dr. McGough growled under his breath, shaking his head and leaning back, defeated. "Come in, then. Maybe we can sort this whole thing out..."

Meagan entered a little shyly, looking genuinely innocent. She met Eric's gaze and blinked, swallowing and looking away from him. I can't believe I'm doing this... She cleared her throat, addressing the principal. "Dr. McGough, I don't know what Matt told you, but he is a liar," she said firmly. "Eric didn't attack Matt; Matt attacked me."

She proceeded to tell him about the entire locker situation and how she tried to walk away from him. She accentuated on the words that the two boys shared, even revealing the fact that she was not even happy with what her father had conjured for this year, a bodyguard! "But that doesn't mean that I still can't appreciate the help he did give me, and that I can't stand up for what is obviously right."

Dr. McGough had pursed his lips, lacing his fingers across his stomach, elbows resting on the arms of his chair. He watched her intently, thinking. When she was finished, he asked her softly, "How long did you rehearse that lovely speech?"

"Rehearse?" she demanded, irked herself now.

"Yes. That's a lot of detail you put in there, Miss Sinclair."

"Well, how much do I have to do to convey the truth to you? Or should I get on my knees and grovel like that dickless asshole, Matt?"

He cleared his throat, shooting a finger warningly at her. "Enough of that! Fine. I'll take it into consideration," he huffed. "Now, get out of here, both of you. I've had enough of this already."

He starting slamming drawers on his desk, trying to make it look like he was busy as his final dismissal of the pair.

103 Reviews

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:12 pm
Dynamo says...

When the two of them left his office Dr. McGough sat for a moment, contemplating. This new Sanders kid may have been a pain in his craw, but he had to admire his backbone. Not many of the of the kids that attended his school would have stood up for themselves as firmly as he did. He hadn't been expecting Meagan to stand up for him, either. The story she gave did sound rehersed, but it also jived with what Eric told Mr. Sinclair over the phone. But after seeing how panic stricken Matt had been he was hard-pressed to believe anything they said. Still, now that he thought about it this wasn't the first time someone ellegidly attacked Matthew and he pleaded his case while scared as a puppy.

Switching on his intercom, he said, "Samantha, can you bring me the security tapes from this morning?"

Meagan and Eric said nothing as they left the office. When they were walking down the hall toward their first class, the awkward silence force Meagan to speak first. "Don't get the wrong idea or anything. I didn't go in there looking to help you. Matt gets away with this crap way too often, and I was getting sick of it."

"I didn't need your help anyway, I was handling myself just fine on my own."

Meagan turned on him then. "I appreciate your help this morning, but I still stand by what I said. I already have friends I can rely on when I need help, so I don't need you following me around all hours of the day. Just give me my space and leave me alone. If in the unlikely event that I ever do need your help, I'll let you know."

Eric was dying for a cigarette, but being on school property he didn't feel like earning another trip to the principal's office. He crossed his arms and watched her for a moment, then said, "I take orders from your father, not you. My job is to make sure you stay safe, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. I couldn't care less if you agree to it or not. You'd might as well get used to it, because as long as your outside your home I'm going to be right there beside you. If you have a problem with that, take it up with your dad, not me."
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:32 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan bit her tongue, puffing up in fury. She stalked off, heading toward her first class and trying to leave him behind. She finally reached English with Mrs. Johnson, and stopped. She stood outside the door, fiddling with her hands and shaking her whole body, trying to loosen and put on a fake cheerfulness. She checked her uniform thoroughly, smoothing it out so that it lay neatly over her petite frame, and sighed. Here goes.

She opened the door and came back inside, smiling at all the faces. Mrs. Johnson, in the middle of reading over the syllabus, kept going. She reached onto her desk and picked up one of the syllabus packets, giving it to Meagan as she walked past. Meagan smiled, seeing Anita and two empty desks. She set her stuff down on the floor and plopped down beside the girl.

"Hey, how did it go?" she asked.

"It was okay," Meagan told her softly. "Dr. McGross tried to accuse me of acting, but I guess he had already called my father or something; he gave up too easy."

Anita giggled once, shaking her head. "That's really bad, you know, having to call your father so early. It's only day one!"

"I know, but what else can you expect from the new kid," she chided bitterly.

As the door opened, Mrs. Johnson cleared her throat. "Okay, ladies, I know you haven't seen each other in two months, but I'm trying to get class started. Finish it later, or outside."

Meagan swallowed, and obliged.

You cannot understand and disagree.
— P. D. Ouspensky