z

Young Writers Society

Heart of a Bodyguard

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:06 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

The eight hour flight from Pennsylvania to Louisiana was a painfully long wait. When the plane finally touched down in the Lakefront Airport in New Orleans the first thing Eric wanted to do was get outside and have a smoke. He was very irritable when he finally walked out the gate, and he was tapping his foot furiously while waiting for his luggage to show up on the carousel. He ended up waiting ten minutes for his luggage to show up before making his way through customs and getting outside. He reached into his pocket and grabbed his lighter and a pack of smokes. The lighter was a gift from a friend back in his early days in high school. It was black with flame decals, the kind of design you'd see on a hotrod.

Once he lit his a cigarette he started looking around at the people coming and going. They all dressed differently than back in Plainfield, with their dress shirts and slacks, not to mention their expensive looking shoes. They weren't kidding when they said New Orleans was a city for the rich. Eric suddenly felt very out of place in his black leather jacket, jeans, and running shoes. Actually, now that he was outside he started to regret wearing the leather jacket, not because it made him stick out like a sore thumb but because it was scorching hot. It was the beginning of spring, yet it felt like the middle of July. Eric slipped out of his jacket and dropped it on top of his rolling suitcase.

Eric spotted a white limo parked on the corner of the street. Beside it stood two men, one of them was obviously the limo driver, and the other wore a pristine business suit with the jacket piece slung over his shoulder. The driver was holding a sign that read, "Eric Sanders." They must be the ones who were picking him up.

When he approached the man in the suit looked at him. He opened his mouth to say something, but hesitated when he noticed the cigarette in Eric's mouth. "Eric Sanders?"

"That's me. Is something the matter?"

He shook his head. "Sorry, I just didn't know you smoked."

"Is that going to cause any problems?" Eric asked. This was a once-in-a-lifetime chance he was getting, and he didn't want it to be ruined because of his habbit.

"Not at all," he said, straightening up a bit. "As long as you keep it outside or in your own room I have no problem with it." He extended his hand. "I'm Robert Sinclair, your father and I spoke on the phone."

Eric shook the man's hand. "Nice to meet you, sir."

"Likewise. Your flight must have been exhausting, I'm sure you're dying to get settled into your new home for the next year." As if on cue the driver tucked the sign under his arm and opened the passenger door before grabbing Eric's luggage and taking it to the trunk. Robert got in first, but before Eric could climb in he stopped him. "I'll have to ask you to put out that cigarette before getting in the limo. Wouldn't want the smell to get into the seats, you know."

Eric took the cigarette from his mouth and looked at it for a moment. He had only been smoking it for a minute or two, and he was a little annoyed to let it go to waste. But, he was going to be living here on this man's dime, so he had to do whatever he was told. He tossed the cigarette on the pavement and put it out with his shoe before climbing into the limo.

The inside of the limo was very spacious, there was easily enough room to fit at least ten people. Mr. Sinclair had taken one of the side seats, so Eric decided to take the other one so they were sitting across from each other. "Nice ride," Eric commented.

"Is this your first time in a limo?" Robert asked. He smiled when Eric nodded. "You'll have plenty of chances to ride it while you're here, Richard will be driving you to and from school everyday." The driver gave a little wave from the front when his name was mentioned. "Speaking of which, you'll be attending Edgeworth Academy, one of the best private schools in New Orleans. A diploma from there will guarentee you a job anywhere in the country."

"Excuse me if I come off a little blunt, but why are you doing all this for me? I know you're not doing this out of the goodness of your heart," Eric said. Before he left his father had told him to expect Mr. Sinclair to give him some sort of job to do while he was living under his roof, though he wouldn't say what at the time.

Robert was a little surprised by Eric's question, but gave a little chuckle before saying, "Straight to business I see, I like that." He leaned forward a little in his seat. "Your father and I were friends in college, and when he told me that you were an accomplished black belt I figured you'd be the best person for the job."

"And what job might that be?"

"My daughter has been having some trouble with some of the boys at school. She doesn't have a boyfriend so they constantly pester her for the opportunity, despite her refusal. It's gotten to the point where some of them sneak onto our property at night to try and see her. I'm at my wits end, I've spoken to the dean about this on countless occasions, but despite the efforts of the teachers these boys continue their pestering. I wanted to hire a bodyguard for her but the school's regulations prevent anyone other than students and teachers to be on the grounds during school hours.

"That's where you come in. You and my duaghter will be going to the same school, attending the same classes. It'll be your job to look after her whenever she leaves the house, and in return you will recieve the education that your parents always wanted you to have. Not a bad deal, wouldn't you say?"

Eric thought for a moment. Ever since he was expelled from school for putting another kid in the hospital his parents were worried sick about his future. It had been in self defence, but the principal didn't care. There hadn't been any other highschools in the area that he could attend, and his family was too poor to move somewhere close to another school. This was the only chance he would have to get a decent education and make his parents happy, if it meant looking after this man's duaghter then so be it. "If it means going to school, I'll guard her with my life. But I hope you realise that not every guy who tries to approach your duaghter is going to back down just because I tell them to."

"I'll take care of any reprecussions your actions may cause, all that matters to me is my duaghter's happiness and safety," Robert told him. "If it means you have to rough up a few kids, then so be it." The limo came to a stop in front of a white, two story villa. "Ah, we've arrived. Welcome to your new home."
Last edited by Dynamo on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:12 am
View Likes
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan sat in the window seat of her upper-floor bedroom, the window facing the long, oak-lined driveway that pulled around the edge of the ten-acre property to the back gardens and garage. She huffed, hugging her knees up to her chest and staring at the limo as it drove up. So that guy was here already... She couldn't believe her father had done that, paying for a total stranger to fly halfway across the country just to go to school as her stalker and fight over her! It was inexcusable! Sure, she was pretty, being so petite and slender with just enough curve to give her body a general shape, and was getting unwanted attention, but couldn't he have found a better way to protect her?

"Meagan! Your father's home!" her mother, Jennifer, called from the base of the stairs, in the lobby. Meagan sighed, and bit her lip. She stared up at the ceiling. Oh, Father, help me to be patient now! She hopped up from the seat and walked toward the door, making sure her pleated, blue plaid skirt and white Aeropostale polo were straight and even. She was wearing only socks, though, because of their shoe policy. "Shoes off at the door!" her mother insisted. Sure, it kept dirt and mud and God only knew what else outside, but it was a slippery floor downstairs! Hardwood and bare feet was a cold combination, but socks only made her slide around. At least they had carpets upstairs.

Meagan came down the stairs and tossed her long red hair back behind her shoulder. She turned to her mother, who was a short and stocky little woman, with graying red-blonde hair that she always kept in a neat bun on the back of her head. She was wearing a Sunday suit, with khaki slacks and a blue Oxford dress shirt.

"Mama, does he have to stay across the hall from me?" Meagan asked once more, hoping a gentle plead with undo the events of his arrival, and any future conflicts she knew to be eminent.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:04 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

"The room has already been made for him," she told her daughter.

"But why does he have to stay in Allan's old room?" Allan was her older brother, and ever since he went off to university his room had become a spare room for guests. "Why can't he stay in the spare room in the east wing?" Meagan asked. She knew nothing about this new boy her father was bringing in, and if he turned out to be just like all the other boys at school she definitely didn't want him living in the very next room.

"Your father has already made up his mind, dear."

Meagan wanted to continue her protests, but Richard was already opening the front door for her father and the newcomer. She could tell right away that this boy was from a poor family, with his tattered shirt, the holes in the knees of his blue jeans, and his white running shoes that have begun to turn yellow around the edges. She was not impressed with what she saw, or smelled for that matter. He reaked of cigarette smoke, the smell made Meagan was to gag and plug her nose.

Eric wasn't very interested in Meagan either. Sure, she was pretty, moreso than most of the girls back home, but he knew the reward wouldn't be worth the risk. He wasn't about to insult Mr. Sinclair's hospitality by making a move on his daughter. Besides, he could tell by the look she was giving him that she wouldn't have any of it anyway.

"Welcome to your new home, Eric," Robert said. "This is my wife, Jennifer."

Meagan's mother stepped forward and said, "You've certainly grown since the last time we saw you. How is your mother faring these days?"

"Mom's doing fine," There was a slight huskiness to his voice, a consequence from his smoking habbit. He extended his arm and said, "Thank you for bringing me into your home." Jennifer seemed a little hesitant with the gesture, apparently she wasn't used to giving handshakes. But, she smiled sweetly and shook his hand.

Robert motioned toward Meagan next. "And this is my daughter, Meagan. She'll be the one you'll be keeping an eye on."

It was Eric's turn to hesitate now. He wasn't quite sure how to introduce himself to her. He was going to be spending the next year looking after her, the last thing he wanted to do was offend her in any way since it would only make his job more difficult. For now he decided to be polite and address her the same way he did with her mother.

He extended his arm for a handshake and said, "My name is Eric Sanders. I'll be protecting you from now on."
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:30 pm
View Likes
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan glared at his hand and then at his face. He had the face of a fighter, a mean sort of look in his eyes. She scowled, huffing exasperatedly. "And I'm Meagan Sinclair, and I don't need your protection!"

Before her parents could say anything, she turned and ran up the stairs and down the hall to her room, slamming the door behind her. She began to sob, tears coursing down her face and streaking her eyeliner; she collapsed in a miserable heap on her bed. Jennifer sighed, looking at her husband and their new guest before following her daughter.

Robert cleared his throat. "Please, don't mind her. It will just...take some time." He gestured to Richard. "Richard, will you take this young man's luggage upstairs? Eric, feel free to look around. Miss Deborah, the housemaid, will get you anything if you need it." He, in turn, went upstairs toward Meagan's bedroom.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:09 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

So much for being polite, Eric thought as he watched Mr. Sinclair go up the stairs after his wife and daughter. He only just walked through the front door and already he managed to make a bad first impression on Meagan. Looks like he was really going to have to work for his education.

Eric was curious to see what his new room was going to be like, but Richard had gone with his luggage the same way as Meagan had ran. He didn't want to bother them while they were having their little family talk. Besides, he was craving for a smoke. Eric went back out the door to the front porch and lit up a cigarette. As he leaned against the railing he took a look at his surroundings. The villa was in a big open area, lots of space for him to practice. Back home there was barely enough space to move around in the backyard. With this much space he would be able to practice the karate lessons his sensei had given him before he left without any problem.

A few moments later Eric spotted a school bus coming down the street. It stopped by the front gate and a young boy with short blond hair got out. He looked to be around twelve or thirteen. Must be Robert's son, Eric thought. He took the cigarette from his mouth and hid it behind his back. Wouldn't want to set a bad example for the kid.

The boy gave Eric an odd look as he walked down the driveway. When he got to the porch he asked, "Who are you?"

"I'm the guy your dad hired to keep an eye on your sister. Name's Eric."

The boy must have been worried about seeing a complete stranger on the front porch, because now that he knew who Eric was he seemed to relax a bit. "My name is Brian. Are you really going to be staying here for a year?"

"That's what you dad says," Eric said. "Your sister wasn't too happy to meet me."

"She's been whining about you coming here for weeks. It was really starting to get annoying."

"Doesn't seem like the whining is going to stop now that I'm finally here, though." Eric started rolling his cigarette between his fingers. He wanted t keep smoking, but didn't want Brian to be around when he did. "Why don't you go inside? I'm sure your parents would like to know that you're home."

"All right, I guess I'll see you later." Once Brian went inside Eric let out a sigh of relief and continued to smoke.

He started hearing voices from about. Meagan's window must have been open because he could hear the girl still arguing with her parents. He strained his ears so he could hear what they were all saying.
Last edited by Dynamo on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:37 pm
View Likes
AyumiGosu17 says...

***Considering you've been on here all day, you should totally come chat with me on Facebook, lol just kidding ;) ***

Jennifer stepped into the girl's bedroom and saw her lying weeping amidst the lavender covers and pillows on her bed. She approached her daughter, sitting next to her. She gently laid a hand on her daughter's shoulder, "Hush now, Meagan, it will be fine. He's here for a good reason - "

"It's not fine, Mama!" she hissed, sitting up. The girl's entire face was reddened from crying. "He's a total stranger! A northerner! I don't need some guy I've never seen in my entire life following me around the whole damn day!"

Jennifer closed her eyes, opening them and sighing in mild agitation. "Don't swear, Meagan. Your father and I know Eric's parents very well, we went to college together - "

"But I don't know them! Mom! I'm a senior this year, and now you've thrown in this-this...boy to literally trapse around campus after me, posing as a body guard!"

"Meagan, there's no more discussing it! It would be illogical and certainly disrespectful to him and to Mr. and Mrs. Sanders to send him home now, when we've been planning this for weeks, and he's already flown eight hours across the country to stay with us."

"I don't care! This isn't fair! I don't need his protection! Just enroll me in some kung-fu or tae-kwon-do or something!" She choked, sobbing desperately. "Just send him back home, please, I'm begging you!"

Robert knocked on the door once and threw it open. He slammed it behind him, striding over and standing ominously above Meagan. "Enough of this, Meagan! Stop it! Stop it, right now!"

"But Daddy - "

"No! Now you listen to me, Meagan Elizabeth Sinclair. Eric Sanders is going to school with you, to protect you. I will not have my daughter gawked at and groped in the classroom, and certainly not attacked and raped on your way home from school! And he will live across the hall, where Allan stayed because he is a young man! He deserves a room already furnished in the style of a young man, rather than a musty storage room or a bland old shack. Do you understand me?"

"Daddy, I don't like this...!"

"You may not like it, but you will get used to it. It is for your own good, nothing more. Now, I don't want to hear any more of it."

Meagan fell back into the pillows, sobbing and heaving. Jennifer looked from her daughter to her husband and back, sighing. He could have been gentler about it, but perhaps it was for the best. She stood and grabbed Robert by the arm, leading him out and closing the door softly behind them. She turned on him in the corridor. "That was far too harsh, Rob. We should have discussed the entire thing with her before we even planned it." He began to cut in. "I don't care that he's your best friend's son, or that he's here to defend our baby girl! You still owed her the decency to talk it out with her and explain the situation to her before throwing a random boy into her life!" She straightened her shirt and began to storm downstairs. "Debbie and I'll be getting supper ready. It's almost six already."
Last edited by AyumiGosu17 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

103 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:44 pm
Dynamo says...

(By the way, when everyone goes to bed that night one of the guys from school is going to sneak into the property to se Meagan, the sort of "throw the rock at the window to get the girl's attention" situation.)

Eric took another smoke from his cigarette as the argument came to a close. That seemed a bit harsh, he thought. Still, he didn't hold too much sympathy for the girl. She's not the one who had to uproot her life and fly half-way across the country. He definitely wasn't looking forward to looking after the prissy rich girl, but he was doing this to go to school. He had already caused his parents enough trouble with his bad habbits and violent actions, he wasn't going to disappoint them any further. Although, it was nice to know that Mr. Sinclair was adamant about his decision to keep him here. He wouldn't have to worry about being sent home early on a whim.

He stayed outside for a while to finish his cigarette before finally going back inside to see his new room. He left his shoes at the door before going up the stairs. He heard the sound of Meagan's sobs behind one of the doors, the door to the room across the hall was open. When he looked inside he noticed his stuff was already placed beside the bed. The room was much larger than his one back home, and had a bigger bed, too. The walls were painted light blue with white trims, and there was a large window behind the bed that gave a perfect view of the backyard.

He lifted his suitcase and got to work unpacking. He hadn't brought much from home, most of what he packed were just clothes. He brought a few nicknacks with him, like a framed picture of his parents and another of him at his blackbelt coronation, which he placed on top of the dresser.

(I'm having a bit of trouble think of stuff to post at the moment. Anyway, I was thinking the next post could involve Meagan giving Eric a piece of her mind.)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:08 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

***I'll try to post when I can. Band starts tomorrow, I'm still doing this online Humane Society teaching course, and then school starts on the 17th, with Opera rehearsals every night the whole first week.***

Meagan cried for half an hour, almost. It felt like forever... She huddled into the mass of pink, purple, and green plush, furry pillows. Her Unicorn and Pegasus plushies fell down onto her head, partially muffling her pitiful sounds. She lay there quiet, eyes closed for a few moments longer, until the smells of dinner began to creep through the rafters below and rose to the second level. By the smell of it, Mama and Ms. Deborah had put together a spiced meatloaf, with asparagus, beets, and mashed potatoes with gravy; they had probably steamed a tilapia fillet for her, and she would just get asparagus and beets to go along with it.

She pushed herself up out of the bed and wiped her face one last time. She looked down and straightened her skirt, which had twisted during her tantrum, and smoothed out a crease on her shirt. She took a steadying breath and opened her door, only to see Eric opening his at the same time.

She scowled at him, closing her door softly behind her. She stood near the wall on her side of the corridor, but she raised an accusing finger at him. "Let's make one thing clear, Eric. I do not want your help; I do not need your help. So, unless I ask for it... Leave. Me. Alone." She snorted, turning her nose up and storming down the hall. When her foot touched the top of the stair, she released the tension to the best of her ability, feigning like there was nothing wrong other than her general discomfort.

Meagan entered the kitchen and saw her plate set aside from the others, a single fish fillet resting steaming on it. She smiled gently, thanking her mother and the maid for preparing the dinner, and bustled over to the stove top and spooning a few vegetables onto her plate. She deftly sat down and waited patiently with her father and little brother, hands in their laps as the last parties ventured over.

***I'll probably make them a classic New Orleans Catholic family, with ritualistic prayers and blessings before meals and bedtime and potentially stressful daily ventures. You mind?***

103 Reviews

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 pm
Dynamo says...

(Not at all. It'll be interesting to see how their living style contrasts with Eric's. Good luck with Band and everything else. My last day of college is the 19th, and my family and I will be camping that same weekend, so I won't get the chance to post anything until we come back. By the way, is Meagan going to be a vegetarian for the sake of good health, or for the sake of not causing harm to all the cute little animals of the world? I'm going to assume the former for now, since she's eating fish.)

Eric waited for Meagan to storm down the hall before heading downstairs as well. When he arrived at the dinning room he was surprised to see the girl act as though nothing was wrong. It must have been an act, no one could calm down that fast after the angry display she had given. He was lucky there was an empty seat on the far side of the table away from her, he didn't want to set her off again.

The table had already been set with plates of food. The food smelled great, but when he saw what was on his plate he couldn't help but grimace. If there was one thing he hated it was vegetables, especially cooked. Raw vegetables he could handle, but there was just something about the texture and flavor of steamed or boiled veggies that he couldn't stand. He wasn't going to enjoy forcing down the asparagus and the radish-looking stuff, and he wasn't a big fan of potatoes either. The only thing that appealed to him was the meatloaf. However, he kept his thoughts to himself, he didn't want to seem ungrateful.

He picked up his fork and knife and was about to cut a slice of the meatloaf when Mrs. Sinclair said, "Ah ah ah, we have to saw grace before we eat, Eric."

"Oh... sorry," he said before putting his utensils back down.

(I'll let you have them say grace, I've never done grace before.)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:06 pm
View Likes
AyumiGosu17 says...

***Kays. I'll post tonight. I'm about to head to the school and get my piccolo fixed cause it's BAND TIME! SQUEEEE!!***

164 Reviews

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:05 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Mrs. Sinclair looked across the table at Meagan. "It's your turn, dear."

Meagan smiled genuinely for the first time since Eric arrived. She bowed her head, touching her forehead, her sternum, and both of her shoulders, with a fingertip, drawing a cross as she folded her hands neatly on the tabletop. Eric watched the rest of the family mirror her movements, drawing the cross over their faces and chests and bowing their heads, eyes closed and hands folded.

Meagan began the evening prayer, voice soft and gentle. "Dear Heavenly Father, I come to You on behalf of the Sinclair family tonight, thanking You for the day that You have provided for us. Thank You for the blessings we have, for being a family and leading us down such a loving, happy, successful path through life. We want to thank You for guiding..." her voice caught slightly, "Eric to us, to stay with us and to be a part of this family for the next year, and we hope that You can help him to adjust to a life in the Deep South. I pray that You will bless the meal that is before us, and help it to nourish our bodies and minds so that we may have another Blessed day to live for You tomorrow, representing You, praising You, and leading the lost ones that we do love, and those we need to love, to Your Grace. In Your Son's Holy name, Amen."

She opened her eyes, inhaled, and reached for her eating utensils. Robert and Jennifer got up and went back into the kitchen, going to the wine cooler and pulling out a brand of classic, Italian blackberry. They filled one glass and returned to the table, setting the wine next to their sweet tea.

Jennifer leaned toward Eric, smiling softly. "it's customary for those in the Catholic denomination to have a single glass of wine with their dinner, as paying respect to the Lord Jesus Christ. I hope our ways don't bother you too much, dear boy."

***There you go. And of course, Meagan is going to be a bit of a school diva when her parents aren't around ;) ***

103 Reviews

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:43 pm
Dynamo says...

(Of course. I have a feeling Meagan is going to take everything she has for granted until she learns a lesson about hummility after learning more about Eric's rough past.)

"Not at all," Eric said. He wasn't much of a religious person himself, his family never attended mass on Sundays, but he didn't have any problems with other people's religious practices.

About half-way through the meal Robert said, "I forgot to mention this, but Edgeworth Academy has school uniforms. I sent in an order for yours, but it hasn't come in yet. Until it does, you'll have to go to school wearing something with a little less... holes."

Eric looked at his shirt for a moment. There were a few small holes here and there, but the shirt was still good enough to wear. He wore his clothes like he wore his shoes, he never went out to buy new ones until the old ones were falling apart. Still, he should be able to find something acceptable to wear.

(Sorry this post is a little short. I'm usually more creatively inclined in the morning and it's almost 6:00 PM right now.)
Last edited by Dynamo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:45 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Mrs. Sinclair's eyes twinkled a little, a pleasant smile on her face. "Well, Robert, we should take him to get some new things! The Waterfront mall won't close until nine."

Meagan smiled softly, suddenly pausing in her meal and twiddling with her food for a moment. She looked up for a moment, chewing her lip and swelling with glee inside. Bourbon Street... The infamous mile stretch was situated between hotels and businesses, and then the underground party houses and "novelty" shops. She hid a devious smile with a look of curiosity.

Robert hummed softly, sitting back from the table. "We could... It'd let him get a feel for the city, too, downtown."

Jennifer dropped her voice to a whisper, "Just stay away from Bourbon Street. It's a new school year, remember - "

Robert waved her comment away, nodding subtly. "What do you think, Eric? How would you like a tour of downtown New Orleans?"

103 Reviews

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:26 pm
Dynamo says...

Eric thought about it. He was still a little tired from the flight, but if he was going to be staying here for the next year then he would need a good lay of the land, so to speak. Plus, the smokes he had were only going to last him until the end of the week, so it'd be useful to know someplaces nearby that sold cigarettes. He wasn't too sure about letting the Sinclairs buy him new clothes. He wasn't one to take handouts from anyone, but he was going to an expensive private school and he doubted any of the clothes he brought would be up to their standards.

"Sounds good," Eric said.

"Great, we'll go as soon as everyone is done eating." Robert turned to his daughter and asked, "What about you, dear? Would you like to come with us? We can pick up some school supplies for you while we're there."

Meagan seemed to think about it for a moment, but finally nodded and said, "Fine, I guess."

For the rest of the meal Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair asked Eric about his parents and how life was up north. When everyone else was finished Eric was still trying to force down the last of his vegetables without letting it show that he disliked the food. Everyone waited patiently for him to finish, though Eric caught a few unfriendly looks from Meagan. She obviously didn't like having to wait for him. When swallowed the last piece of asparagus Debbie started gathering up all the plates. As they got ready to leave Brian asked if he could stay home, claiming he had homework he needed to finish before tomorrow. Robert asked Debbie to look after his son while they were out before leading everyone to the limo parked outside. Soon Richard was driving them downtown.
Last edited by Dynamo on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:49 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

**Shouldn't it be Richard, and not Robert, driving? lol **

It was a twenty minute drive that led them down a four-lane suburban road the divided two gold courses. They passed a small mall, boasting a Books-a-Million and Dillards, only to continue driving up onto the highway. They overlooked the Ninth Ward, which had been destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. House after house, block after block, was boarded up and deserted, upturned cars, downed trees, severed power poles, and even litter from the houses themselves - sheets of tin, plywood, sheet rock, paneling - lay about the streets and overgrown yards. Cars had even been pushed into piles, three or four vehicles high, from column to column under the highway itself.

Meagan faced forward, unable to look out at the sight. She remembered that day too vividly. Her best friend from middle school, Josie, had been killed in that storm... She wiped a single tear away, pretending that no one saw it.

Farther up the interstate, a city rose. On the left was a suburb built entirely of Gothic, Jazz-culture buildings only two or three stories high. It was not uncommon for there to be a park, with oak trees, fountains, flowers set in decorative, symbolic arrangements, and statues every four blocks or so. Performers lined the corners, small bands competing for a crowd with their Jazz or Blues, artists bringing up Chara-catures, masks, Mardi Gras themed glamour hats, paintings depicting old French Quarter life... Beyond the old Quarter, tall buildings, towers, rose into the sky, encircling a massive dome that looked to be a hundred stories tall and able to enclose four football fields.

"To the left is the French Quarter," Jennifer explained. "That's where the majority of downtown's cultural...attractions are centered. Bourbon Street, unfortunately, is the easiest connect between the French Quarter and downtown. We are going downtown." She pointed at the Dome. "That is our Superdome. It's where the New Orleans Saints play on their home games, and where we host a lot of college games. The Sunbelt Conference hosts its Bowl Game there every year; last year, Troy University won. I swear, that fanfare that they played echoed for five minutes, just round and round... We'll have to take you to a game when the season starts."

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson