z

Young Writers Society

To Love or Not To Love: A Romeo and Juliet Parody

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:15 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

“Boys,” muttered Lauren irritably, sighing in frustration.

“What?” Eric snapped.

“You say you like this girl, right?”

“Yes, but what does that have to do with anything right now?”

“Look, Eric, if you really like her, don’t let her go. You just to have to be patient-”

“I’ve tried. It’s not my fault she refuses to make anything easy for me.” Lauren raised an eyebrow.

“Eric, Melody just moved here a week ago. Give her a chance. I know you’re new to a girl not throwing herself at you, but you just have to wait. Just give her some space.” Now it was Eric’s turn to raise an eyebrow.

“What does that mean?” Lauren rolled her eyes.

“It means stop hitting on her and going out of your way to annoy her.” A slow, sly smile crept across her face.

“What are you thinking?” Eric asked, knowing from the grin on Lauren’s face, she had a brilliant idea.

“If you want to get Melody like you, start slow. Just try being her friend.”

“Her friend?” Eric repeated, as if the idea was foreign to him.

“Yes. Just be nice to her and prove she can trust you. Most importantly, don’t keep hitting on her.”

“Are you sure that’ll work?” Eric asked dubiously. Lauren answered by rolling her eyes.

“Yeah, ‘cause your way is working,” she replied sardonically.

Eric was about to respond when Mrs. Bing sternly called, “Eric, you’re supposed to be on stage. Come on and get up here; we don’t have all day!” Eric idly got up from his seat, taking his time. Here goes nothing…

“Good luck,” Lauren said. Then under her breath, but still loud enough for Eric to hear, she said, “You’re gonna need it.”
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:46 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

“Right...” Mrs Bing began, rubbing her hands together in excitement. “Now, since our first rehearsal didn’t go as smoothly as I would have liked it to...” her eyes sharply met Eric’s like it was all his fault. He just shrugged un-interestedly. Mrs Bing continued “...I have decided to try a different approach, one that I hope will bring out some much needed chemistry between you both...” she brought out three chairs and signalled for them to take a seat.

Eric arched an eyebrow wondering where Mrs Bing was going with all this, but he sat down anyway.

“I want the two of you to really try to put yourselves in these characters’ shoes, I want you to really feel what they feel and really see what they see...”

The woman’s gettin’ all dreamy again... Eric just sank backwards in his chair, uninterestedly.

“To do that I’d like us to talk,” Mrs Bing continued, she turned her head to Melody, “Let’s start with you Ms Grey. Imagine that you are Juliet, a young woman with spirit and big dreams, who, despite being controlled by her family all her life, still dares to defy them when it comes to matters of the heart...”

Melody shifted in her seat uncomfortably.

“Your family have introduced you to many important young men in the hope that one would take to your fancy but none of them have had the qualities that you seek. You want someone exciting, adventurous, someone passionate, someone who enjoys life, who dares to dream as big as you do...” Mrs Bing paused dramatically, “...then one night you finally meet that person. You finally meet Romeo. He’s everything you’ve ever hoped for and more. How would you feel, Melody?”

Eric slowly sat up from his seat with a smirk. Looks like this jus’ got interestin’...

If Melody looked uncomfortable before, it was nothing compared to how she looked now. In fact, if Eric didn’t know any better, he’d say her cheeks were turning a little pink.

“Um,” she began, “I’d feel happy, I guess...”

Mrs Bing nodded her head impatiently. “Yes, yes, of course you’d be happy, Ms Grey, but I want you to tell me how you would feel in here...” she pointed a finger at Melody’s heart.

“Uh...” Melody swallowed hard. It took all of Eric’s self-control not to burst out laughing. “I would feel...I would feel my heart pounding because...because I’d finally met someone who got me, someone who understood me...” she paused for a moment. “But at the same time I’d be scared that I was getting ahead of myself...that this guy could just end up being like all the others...that he might break my heart...”

Says the girl who’s falling for Jeffery...

Mrs Bing looked at Melody like she’d just struck gold. “Yes! Wonderful, Ms Grey, wonderful! Now stay with this feeling, don’t lose it...” she quickly turned to face Eric. Here goes... “Eric, let us do the same with you. I want you to imagine that you are Romeo, a young handsome man who has the ladies of Verona eating out of the palm of his hand,” Eric looked smug. It wasn't like that was all that hard to imagine... Mrs Bing continued, “...a young man who, despite being part of the most powerful and most notorious crime family in America, still dares to dream of a better life for himself...”

I know what that feels like... Sure, Eric's family were no criminals but they hadn’t exactly got to the top by being angel’s either. It was one of the reasons why Eric had never showed any interest in joining the family business, even as a kid groing up - like this Romeo character he’d always wanted something better for himself...

Mrs Bing continued, “Like, Juliet, you too have had many people throw themselves at you, but the girls that you meet fail to arouse your interest, they fail to ignite the passion deep within your heart. Just when you feel that all hope is lost, that you will never find your one true love, you go to the Capulet house and meet Juliet...the two of you share a dance – just one- and you realise that she is the girl you have been looking for. How would you feel, Eric?”

Eric shrugged. “I dunno...” It was true, he really didn’t know how he’d feel.

Mrs Bing rolled her eyes. “Come on, Eric, it’s not difficult!” she quipped. “Hasn’t there ever been a special girl in your life...one that made you feel something that you’d never felt before?”

Eric looked up at that. “Maybe.”

“Okay, so describe it to me, how did it make you feel inside?”

It was Eric who now shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He was never one to talk about ‘feelings’, it was such a girly thing to do...then again maybe he could use this as a chance to tell Melody how he felt about her without technically telling her at all. As far as she knew, this was all just pretend...

“I felt challenged,” he began, leaning back in his chair with a smug look on his face, “because this girl wasn’t like all the others, she was different, she made feel different, so I wanted her...”

Mrs Bing’s eyes were practically shining with pride. “Brilliant, Eric! Wonderful! Stay with this feeling...” she picked up her copy of the script and opened it up to the scene they’d been working on last week. “Now, with these feelings inside of you both, let us begin!”
Last edited by *coco on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

108 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:00 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Melody and Eric looked down at their scripts. The stage directions said, Romeo takes Juliet by the hand. Wordlessly, Eric gently took Melody’s hand into his. It weirded Melody out, but she didn’t pull away, much to Eric’s surprise.

My lady,” Eric read, his voice taking on a zealous tone. “If I could be so bold as to say something.”

“Speak, sir,” Melody replied, calmly and confidently.

“I have danced with many a women, but none have managed to stir my heart quite like you have. It is strange. I don’t even know who you are.”

I have met gentlemen in hopes of finding the one I am destined to be with. Every man I have met has failed to arouse the passion deep within my heart. That was until I met you, sir. Though we shared only one dance, I know that there is something inside you that all the others lacked.”

The new stage directions said,” Clock strikes twelve. Romeo looks regretfully at clock where three men stand, arms folded impatiently.”

Eric made his expression look rueful as he turned his head to the side, as if looking at something important. “Though it pains me, I must leave. My brothers wait.

“But, sir,” Melody said, making her voice sound sorrowful, “when will I see you again?”

Fear not,” Eric assured her. “I will send for you.” They both paused to look at their scripts again. The scene ended with, “Romeo kisses Juliet’s hand and Romeo saying, ‘Until we meet again.’ Romeo exits.” Melody blushed at reading the ending of the scene. She stole a glance at Eric. He stared at her questioningly.

Again, Eric took Melody’s hand. He lifted her hand to his face and pressed his mouth to it, his lips brushing softly against Melody’s hand. Roses of embarrassment bloomed in her cheeks, and it took all her willpower not to pull away. Yet at the same time, she wondered was this how Romeo had made Juliet feel. That thought made her blush even more and she quickly pushed it aside, thinking of Jeffery instead. Much better…

“Until we meet again,” Eric said softly, releasing her hand.

“Excellent work, you two,” Mrs. Bing said, smiling widely. “Rehearsals are done for today. We’ll continue tomorrow.”

As Melody was getting off the stage, she heard Eric say, “Good job.” Melody turned to face.

“Thanks,” she replied cautiously. “…You too.” And it was true, though she didn’t want to admit. Eric hadn’t flirted with her once, tried pushing her, or messed with her. Though why he didn’t confused her… and made her a little suspicious. But maybe he was just accepting that they only had to work together in the play nothing more… But Melody couldn’t fully convince herself that was the true reason why Eric was being…nice…

At lunch Melody pushed her food around with her fork, waiting for Jeffery to show up. He never did and the bell rang. Sighing, she dumped her tray. Ever since Eric had interrupted their date, he avoided her. After Eric left, he was strangely distant with Melody for the rest of the weekend, he hadn’t returned her calls. Dejected, Melody exited the cafeteria and was going to her next class, when she spotted Jeffery at his locker in the almost-empty hallway. Summoning, her courage she approached him. Face to face he’d have to confront Melody.

“Jeffery,” Melody said, lightly tapping him on the shoulder. Jeffery whirled around to face her. When he saw it was Melody his eyes widened in surprise…and maybe…alarm…

“Hey…Melody.”

“Is everything all right?” Melody asked, barely able to keep the note of concern out of her voice. “’Cuz if this about what Eric said, just ignore it. I’d know you’d never do that to me.” Jeffery nodded, hardly looking at her.

“Then if not’s what Eric said, then what is it?” Melody’s heart sank.

“It’s complicated…”Jeffery replied. Melody couldn’t help if this had to with his feelings for her. One minute he liked her and the next, he was avoiding her and she didn’t even know why.

Before she could stop herself, she blurted out, “How do you feel about me?”

“Look Melody,” Jeffery said gingerly. “I gotta get to class. I’m already late. We’ll talk about this later. Okay?”

“Sure,” Melody replied steadily, though his words made her heart feel like it was bleeding. She blinked back tears as she watched him go. She now knew had Juliet felt when her parents made her meet all those men with the hopes she’d fall in love in with them. But Juliet couldn’t love any of them because they were lacking the qualities she needed in order to love someone. Something between Melody and Jeffery was lacking. And maybe Melody couldn’t see it at first, maybe she was lonely and desperate that’d she somehow convinced herself that there was something special between she and Jeffery, but there was no denying that Jeffery didn’t feel the same way she did about him. Like her mother always said, in a relationship, one person was going to love more than the other. But why did that person always have to be Melody? Why couldn’t there be equality? But also like Melody’s mother said, “All was fair in love and war.” And love could definitely be war.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

108 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:11 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Melody and Eric looked down at their scripts. The stage directions said, Romeo takes Juliet by the hand. Wordlessly, Eric gently took Melody’s hand into his. It weirded Melody out, but she didn’t pull away, much to Eric’s surprise.

“My lady,” Eric read, his voice taking on a zealous tone. “If I could be so bold as to say something.”

“Speak, sir,” Melody replied, calmly and confidently.

“I have danced with many a women, but none have managed to stir my heart quite like you have. It is strange. I don’t even know who you are.”
“I have met gentlemen in hopes of finding the one I am destined to be with. Every man I have met has failed to arouse the passion deep within my heart. That was until I met you, sir. Though we shared only one dance, I know that there is something inside you that all the others lacked.”

The new stage directions said,” Clock strikes twelve. Romeo looks regretfully at clock where three men stand, arms folded impatiently.”

Eric made his expression look rueful as he turned his head to the side, as if looking at something important. “Though it pains me, I must leave. My brothers wait.”

“But, sir,” Melody said, making her voice sound sorrowful, “when will I see you again?”

“Fear not,” Eric assured her. “I will send for you.” They both paused to look at their scripts again. The scene ended with, “Romeo kisses Juliet’s hand and Romeo saying, ‘Until we meet again.’ Romeo exits.” Melody blushed at reading the ending of the scene. She stole a glance at Eric. He stared at her questioningly.

Again, Eric took Melody’s hand. He lifted her hand to his face and pressed his mouth to it, his lips brushing softly against Melody’s hand. Roses of embarrassment bloomed in her cheeks, and it took all her willpower not to pull away. Yet at the same time, she wondered was this how Romeo had made Juliet feel. That thought made her blush even more and she quickly pushed it aside, thinking of Jeffery instead. Much better…

“Until we meet again,” Eric said softly, releasing her hand.

“Excellent work, you two,” Mrs. Bing said, smiling widely. “Rehearsals are done together. We’ll continue tomorrow.”

As Melody was getting off the stage, she heard Eric say, “Good job.” Melody turned to face.

“Thanks,” she replied cautiously. “…You too.” And it was true, though she didn’t want to admit. Eric hadn’t flirted with her once, tried pushing her, or messed with her. Though why he didn’t confused her… and made her a little suspicious. But maybe he was just accepting that they only had to work together in the play nothing more… But Melody couldn’t fully convince herself that was the true reason why Eric was being…nice…

At lunch Melody pushed her food around with her fork, waiting for Jeffery to show up. He never did and the bell rang. Sighing, she dumped her tray. Ever since Eric had interrupted their date, he avoided her. After Eric left, he was strangely distant with Melody for the rest of the weekend, he hadn’t returned her calls. Dejected, Melody exited the cafeteria and was going to her next class, when she spotted Jeffery at his locker in the almost-empty hallway. Summoning, her courage she approached him. Face to face he’d have to confront Melody.

“Jeffery,” Melody said, lightly tapping him on the shoulder. Jeffery whirled around to face her. When he saw it was Melody his eyes widened in surprise…and maybe…alarm…

“Hey…Melody.”

“Is everything all right?” Melody asked, barely able to keep the note of concern out of her voice. “’Cuz if this about what Eric said, just ignore it. I’d know you’d never do that to me.” Jeffery nodded, hardly looking at her.

“Then if not’s what Eric said, then what is it?” Melody’s heart sank.

“It’s complicated…”Jeffery replied. Melody couldn’t help if this had to with his feelings for her. One minute he liked her and the next, he was avoiding her and she didn’t even know why.

Before she could stop herself, she blurted out, “How do you feel about me?”

“Look Melody,” Jeffery said gingerly. “I gotta get to class. I’m already late. We’ll talk about this later. Okay?”

“Sure,” Melody replied steadily, though his words made her heart feel like it was bleeding. She blinked back tears as she watched him go. She now knew had Juliet felt when her parents made her meet all those men with the hopes she’d fall in love in with them. But Juliet couldn’t love any of them because they were lacking the qualities she needed in order to love someone. Something between Melody and Jeffery was lacking. And maybe Melody couldn’t see it at first, maybe she was lonely and desperate that’d she somehow convinced herself that there was something special between she and Jeffery, but there was no denying that Jeffery didn’t feel the same way she did about him. Like her mother always said, in a relationship, one person was going to love more than the other. But why did that person always have to be Melody? Why couldn’t there be equality? But also like Melody’s mother said, “All was fair in love and war.” And love could definitely be war.

130 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

Eric was in the cafeteria with his friends throwing food at each other, burping loudly, playing catch across the table, wolf-whistling at any pretty girl that walked by...The usual...until Lauren showed up with her gang of friends.

“So...” she smiled, stopping in front of Eric, her lunch tray still in her hands. “What happened?”

Eric arched a confused eyebrow.

Lauren rolled her eyes impatiently. “You know, at the rehearsal today...”

“Oh...” Eric shrugged uninterestedly. Lauren’s friend Tina...or Jodie or Lola – whatever her name was kept looking at him dreamily. He flashed her a cheeky smirk before returning his attention back to Lauren. “I did what you told me to do. I didn’t hit on her or make jokes. I was...kind...”

Lauren smirked wickedly. “And, how was it?”

Eric thought about it for a second. “Boring,” he concluded. It was true.

Lauren scoffed and Bobby threw Eric a look. “This isn’t 'bout the whole Melody thing again, is it?” he asked.

“It is,” Lauren answered before Eric could. “I’m helping Eric try a different approach with her.”

His friend Reese shook his head and chuckled. “Seriously, dude...If I didn’t know any better, I’d say this girl totally has you whipped!”

“Which is worrying...” Bobby cut in again, “...seeing as you haven’t even been on a date with her yet.”

Eric scoffed with a frown. “I’m not whipped.”

“Ignore them, Eric,” Lauren told him, “carry on being nice to Melody, trust me, it'll work...”

Eric leaned backwards in his chair and rolled his eyes in annoyance. He didn’t mind the whole 'being nice' thing, but he hated not being able to be himself around her. He was the kinda guy that liked being playful and cheeky, that liked cracking jokes and being a tease. It was fun. But he couldn’t be like that with Melody. That girl seemed to like her boys stiff, polite, gentlemanly...and boring. Why couldn’t she just learn to loosen up and live a little?

“Eric!” Lauren was waving her hand in front of his face to break him out of his thoughts. “Did you listen to what I just said?”

Yes, unfortunately... Deep down inside, he knew he’d probably have to keep being nice to Melody whether he liked it or not.

“Hello? Anyone home?” Lauren shoved him a little with her hip.

Eric took one last swig from his can of soda and burped loudly.

Lauren grimaced. “You are so annoying...”

“And you are so nosey...”
Last edited by *coco on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

108 Reviews

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:05 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

The next day during study hall Melody passed Jeffery in the hall. She sighed. Jeffery still hadn’t returned her calls or text messages. She approached him and blocked his way to keep from escaping. If they could just talk it out…then maybe they could figure out the problem. And he was going to talk, even Melody had to beat the answers out of him.

“Look Jeffery. We have to talk. Now.” Melody folded her arms and glowered at him defiantly, daring him to challenge her.

“Melody…”

“Why have you been avoiding?” she asked. Jeffery hesitated.

“…It’s not you…” he replied. Melody fought the desire to roll her eyes. Typical guy excuse.

“Then what it is it?” Usually when a guy said “It’s not you” another girl was involved. But who could Jeffery like other than her? A moment later it dawned on Melody. Friday night at the pier… Melody recalled what Eric had to say to her Friday night about Jeffery. “Jeffery doesn’t really like you, he’s just playing you. He made a deal with the head cheerleader, Ruby, that if he made you think he was interested in you, then he’d date her best friend, Kelly. Isn’t that right, Jeffery?” Melody’s mind reeled. Could be true? That would explain why Jeffery was distant with her ever since Friday, hadn’t returned her calls, and avoided her like the plague. That would also explain why Jeffery could hardly look at Melody, and every time he did, he looked at her as if it pained him. Melody knew that look all too well. Guilt.

“It’s Kelley isn’t it. Is what Eric said true?” Melody asked, her voice quavering, as tears began blurring her vision.

“Melody, it’s not like that…”

“Is it or isn’t it true?” Melody demanded, hardly keeping the tremble out of her voice. She blinked rapidly, to keep the tears from falling.

“Alright, it’s true. At first I did it because I liked Kelley and Ruby promised a date with her if…I got you to like me. But Friday night I realized that I really do like you, Melody…” He started to take her hands, but Melody pulled away and shook her head.

She drew in a shaky breath and lifted her chin with dignity. “If you liked me or cared about me, you wouldn’t have done this to me. Do all guys care about is winning over a girl and playing with her for their own amusement? Is that all guys care about? Well, it’s sick, and you’re low and pathetic if you do. I thought you were different. But I should have known. When it comes down to it, all guys are the same. But you know what? I don’t care anymore. If you don’t, why should I? Go ahead and date Kelley. You two deserve each other.”

Jeffery was too shocked to say anything. Melody walked away. Only when she had her back turned to him, did the tears start to fall. So much for finding another guy that was different. All they cared was about themselves. Not about loving a girl for who she was, but just if she was “pretty enough” and so they could toy around with her until they got bored. The guy always screwed up, but the girl always paid the price for what the guy did. Melody shook her head. Why she was so naïve? No matter how nice a boy might seem, some way he was just going to break your heart.

Melody walked blindly through the hall, her vision blurred by tears. She accidently bumped into someone. When she looked up, it was Eric. He was the last person she wanted or needed to see right now. Melody pushed past him and put on a burst of speed. She ran to the one place where she could be left alone, the girl’s bathroom. Melody locked herself in a stall and broke down, sobbing.

130 Reviews

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:02 am
View Likes
*coco says...

Was she crying...again? Jesus. He’d just come to grab his gym bag from his locker and instead he found Melody with tears in her eyes running into the girls bathroom. He just stood there like an ass watching her not knowing what to do. Should he check if she was alright? Problem was going in there would probably just make things worse. He wasn’t exactly Melody’s favourite person in the world.

But he wanted to know what happened. Curiosity getting the better of him, Eric whipped his head around to see if anyone was looking. The janitor and a few teachers passed through the hall but apart from that the coast was clear. With one quick motion he stepped inside the girl’s bathroom and shut the door behind him...

Melody looked up from the sink. She had tear stains on her cheeks and her eyes narrowed in on him dangerously.

“Hey...” Eric said sheepishly.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing in here?” she snarled.

Eric processed his words for a second. “Well...I saw you cryin’ an’ I wanted to see if you were ok.”

Of course this answer did nothing to make her any less angry. “Right, like you actually care...” she said coldly, wiping her tears away with her sleeve. “Just get out of here and leave me alone!”

Eric was uncharacteristically silent for a long time. He’d been with a lot of girls in his life...A LOT of girls, but none of them had gotten under his skin quite like Melody had. She really was a piece of work.

“I do care actually,” he frowned angrily, “and if you weren’t so damn moody and stubborn all the time you’d be able to see that!” he shook his head and turned to leave. You can’t help those that can’t help themselves...his dad had taught him that and it was true...

“Wait,” Melody’s voice stopped him in his tracks. “You were right...”

Eric turned to face her, “About what?”

She bit her bottom lip and wiped away the last of her tears. “...about Jeffery.”

Eric’s eyebrows shot up. So that’s why she was crying...his expression suddenly darkened. “How’d you found out?”

“Jeffery as good as admitted it to me when I confronted him this morning.”

Eric didn’t know what to say. “Do you uh want me to kick his butt?” he offered.

Melody rolled her eyes. “No, I’d rather just forget about everything.”

Eric nodded understandingly, “Okay...”

An awkward silence fell between them. Eric decided he should probably leave her to it now. Anyway, the bell would probably go off soon so he only had a few minutes to get out of the girl’s bathroom before someone found out he was in here...

108 Reviews

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:40 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

The bell was about to ring. Melody dried the remainder of tears. She peered at her reflection in the mirror. Puffy eyes ringed in red stared back at her. She looked away in disgust. Certainly, someone was going to remark on her appearance. Adults already thought she looked like a freak, but she looked more of a “freak” with swollen eyes and cheeks streaked with tear stains.

The bell rang and with a sigh, Melody gathered her things and headed for her next class. To make matters worse Ruby was in her history class. As Melody took her seat in the back, she hoped she’d blend in. But of course, Ruby saw Melody, and approached with a predatory smirk, followed by her Clones.

“Hey, freak. You finally find out Jeffery didn’t like you? Well don’t worry….so it didn’t work out this time, but there’s someone for everyone. You just have to lower your standards a lot more.”

Melody didn’t answer. She wasn’t going to give Ruby the satisfaction of being belittled, and she didn’t have the energy to fight back. When Melody didn’t answer, Ruby got frustrated. She muttered ‘weirdo’, huffed, and returned to her seat, her Clones trailing closely behind. Only one more year of this miserable hellhole. The thought did little to console Melody, but she’d just have to endure it for a year longer, and then her life would finally be her own. Melody had already managed one year after her parents died, so she’d be able to do one more time. It’d just be more of a challenge…

Melody pulled into her uncle’s driveway. She saw Mary’s mustang there, but not her uncle’s convertible. Of course her aunt was here, and her uncle was working late. What else was new? Mary was sitting at the dining room table, sorting through the mail. As Melody entered, she looked up at Melody, scrutinizing her, more than usual.

“Have you been crying?” Melody bit back a hysterical laugh-and not the good kind. Like you care. Melody exited the room and ran upstairs, not in the mood to talk anyone, especially Mary of people.

“Don’t you walk away me! I don’t know what your problem is, but that gives you no excuse to be disrespectful!” Ha! How many times have I heard that before? She raced upstairs at a faster rate as she heard the click-clack of her aunt’s pumps. Hurriedly, Melody ran into her room, slammed the door in Mary’s face, and locked it. In other words, a typical day at her “home” minus the crying. She turned her iPod on, cranking up the volume to drown Mary’s angry yells and to tune out the rest of the world.

130 Reviews

Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:31 am
View Likes
*coco says...

Eric had spent the whole of football practise thinking of all the different ways he could teach Ruby a lesson for what she did to Melody. Even when Coach Clancy yelled at him and made him run extra laps, he was still thinking.

And then it hit him like a ton of bricks. Ruby was the most popular girl in school, Verona High’s very own Queen B, and how do you dethrone a queen? By taking away her title and her subjects...

With a plan carefully formulated in his head, Eric found himself standing outside the girls locker room, leaning against the wall, waiting for Ruby’s right-hand girl, Kelly Simpson.

Five minutes later, she walked out of the locker room.

“Eric? What are you doing here?” she asked, her long blond ringlets bounced as she put on her bomber jacket. “Are you here to see Ruby? If you are, you just missed her...”

Eric threw Kelly a flirtatious smile. “I’m not here to see Ruby. I’m here to see you.”

“Me?” She asked with caution. “Why?”

Eric wasn’t going to beat around the bush. He slowly leaned forward and felt her stiffen. “What would you say if I told you that I could make you head cheerleader?”

Kelly arched a confused brow. “Uh let me think, I’d say that you were crazy. Ruby is head cheerleader, remember?”

Eric shrugged. “For now...”

She threw him another confused look and Eric smirked.

“Look, I know you an’ the rest of the girls can’t stand Ruby. You only put up with her ‘cause she’s the queen b around here. All I’m saying is I can change all that...if you want me to...”

Kelly’s eyes widened. The look of confusion on her face instantly turned to intrigue, a look Eric knew only too well...

“You would do that?” she asked tentatively.

Jackpot. Eric smirked wickedly. “Absolutely.”

“But why? What’s in it for you?”

“Let’s just say you’d be doin’ me a pretty big favour...”

He watched Kelly bite her bottom lip nervously, her expression caught between fear and excitement. “Think it over an’ let me know your decision at tonight’s house party.”

With that, he left her standing where she was and headed straight home, a large smirk plastered on his face. Piece of cake.

The house party was in full swing. Tonight, Eric’s friend Casey was hosting which was weird because the guy never hosted parties. He was a lot like Bobby, a goodie-two-shoes...But, whatever the reason, his folks were away on a business trip and he had his whole condo to himself. Inside, the music was blaring, drinks were being passed around and guitar hero was being played. Outside, there was a pool party; Logan and Reese were working up a barbeque while Eric, Bobby, Casey and the rest of the boys were sitting on the decking swapping numbers with a couple of very cute girls.

Out’ve the corner of his eye, Eric suddenly spotted a group of girls walk inside Casey’s house, two of whom seemed to look very familiar. He could recognise the hippie hair braid and those piercing green eyes from anywhere. It was Lauren and Melody.

Eric sighed and swung his head back in frustration. He didn’t mind Melody being here, but his twin sister...not cool.

“Which genius invited Lauren?” he asked his friends.

None of them responded, they all just turned their heads to Casey. Eric’s eyes narrowed in on his friend, cocking his head to the side.

“You don’t still have a crush on my sister, do you Case?” he asked with a frown. This ‘thing’ between his friend and the alien...whatever it was had been going on since Eric could remember...

Casey didn’t need to say anything. His face said it all; the douche looked like a kid who’d just been caught with his hands in the cookie jar. So this is why he was throwing a party...

“Okay, E, you got me,” Casey held up his palms in mock surrender making Eric’s friends erupt into a loud roar of laughter.
Last edited by *coco on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

108 Reviews

Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:47 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Melody followed Lauren into Casey’s house, still wondering how Lauren managed to convince her to come to the party. Melody didn’t really do people and she certainly didn’t parties. So why was she here? Oh right, it was better than sitting her room, moping and blasting her iPod, wishing for the millionth time that the car crash had taken her instead…. Hopefully, Melody could have a good time tonight…and learn to feel alive again…

Melody could see Eric and a group of his friends standing in the far corner of the room… and why were they walking in Eric’s direction? When Eric saw Melody, he smirked at her. She rolled her eyes. Could he ever make any other facial expression than that infuriating smirk? He said something to his friends and approached Melody and Lauren.

“Hey, Mel.” Melody didn’t even bother to answer, but she had a feeling this night was gonna be going down very soon…Melody noticed Lauren walking away. She looked desperately at her for to help but Lauren just smiled mischievously, shook her head, and continued walking away. Melody glared at Lauren’s disappearing figure. Traitor.

“It looks like we’re alone now,” Eric said playfully. Melody glowered at him and folded her arms across her chest protectively.

“Don’t even think about making a move,” she warned him.

Eric rolled his eyes. “Chill out, Melody. I’m only joking. Gosh, can’t you learn to lighten up?”

“And can’t you ever take anything seriously?” Melody retorted.

Eric snorted. “What fun would that be if you took life seriously all the time?”

“That’s your problem,” Melody replied irritably. “You take life as if it’s some big joke.”

“And your problem,” Eric responded, “is that you’re taking way too seriously. You act all uptight like someone died.” Melody’s angry expression was replaced by a look of complete shock and anguish. Eric’s words bounced around Melody’s head, reminding her of her parents.

“Melody?” Eric said tentatively. When she didn’t answer, he sighed and said, “Alright, I’m sorry about what I said. I didn’t mean it.”

“It’s not that….” Melody answered quietly.

“Then what’s the problem?” Eric prompted.

“You wouldn’t understand.” Eric drew in a sharp breath.

“How am I supposed to know what’s wrong if you refuse to tell me?” he snapped. Though she hated to admit it, Eric did have a point. She debated with herself on whether or not to tell him the real reason.

“Is this still about Jeffery?” Eric guessed.

Melody shook her head. Though she still wasn’t entirely over Jeffery, he wasn’t the biggest problem. She sighed. Would Eric understand why she was so upset about her parents’ deaths? Or would he be like everyone else and tell her to suck it up and move on? She decided it was a try.

“…A year ago my parents were killed in a car accident from a drunk driver…And that’s why I’m ‘uptight’ and ‘moody’,” Melody answered, her voice hardly above a whisper. Words could hardly describe the look on Eric’s face. Astonished was a start, though…

“I’m really sorry,” he said at last.

“So am I,” Melody replied so softly that Eric almost didn’t hear it.

An awkward silence fell over them. The silence was broken by the click-clack of stilettos as someone approached. When Melody looked up, she noticed the girl was one of Ruby’s Clones, staring at Eric impatiently. Eric looked from the Clone to Melody with a hangdog expression.

“ Melody, I gotta talk to Kelley for a minute. Wait here for me?”

The name sent a red flag in Melody’s mind. Kelley was the girl Jeffery liked and the best friend of the girl that hated her. Whatever Eric was doing with her, she knew no good could come out of it. Melody just shook her head and walked away before somehow she could be hurt. And she’d had enough of that to last her for a lifetime.

130 Reviews

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:10 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

Cheerleaders, they honestly had the worst timing. Just when he had Melody opening up a little, blonde bimbo #2 had to come in and ruin it. Eric watched Melody walk away and let out a frustrated sigh. Guess I’ll just have to catch up with her later...

“You know the new girl?” Kelley asked raising a quizzical brow.

“She’s friends with Lauren,” Eric explained.

Kelley pulled a face. “Gross.” She folded her arms and continued, “So, I’ve thought about your offer...”

“And?” Eric questioned, even though he already knew the answer.

“I’ve decided to take you up on it. I spoke to the rest of the girls and they agreed that it was time for a regime change. Besides, Ruby totally lost her popularity after you dumped her...”

Eric smirked wickedly.

“So, how are you planning on doing this exactly?” Kelley asked.

“That’s for me to know and you to find out.”

With a farewell smirk, he left her standing where she was and headed straight back to the party. It was time for Phase one of operation ‘De-throne the Queen’ to commence. But Eric couldn’t do this alone. He needed a wing-man...

“Yo, Bobby!” he called, spotting his best-friend talking to a pretty brunette. The girl walked away looking annoyed when Eric interrupted them.

Bobby looked up, his eyes narrowed. “Nice one, E! I’d never disturb you if you were in the process of tryna get a girl’s number!”

Eric chuckled and clapped a playful hand on Bobby’s shoulder. “No time for numbers my friend; we’ve got work to do...”

Bobby’s face fell like it always did when he sensed Eric was up to no good. “I don’t like the sound of that, E. What are you planning now?”

“I’m afraid it’s a-” Eric was off abruptly when Bobby directed a finger at him pointedly.

“Don’t say it’s a secret,” Bobby warned him, giving Eric one of his infamous stern looks. “I wanna know exactly what I’m getting myself into this time. I still haven’t forgotten what happened last year when I helped you with your ‘work’...”

Eric smirked. “You mean when I made you keep watch while I sneaked into Coach Clancy’s house to see his daughter?”

“Yes, that’s exactly what I mean!”

“I remember that...good times...”

Bobby scoffed. “For you, maybe, I got chased down the block by Coach Clancy’s dog!”

“C-mon, Bobby...” Eric mockingly tilted his head to the side. “You know that dog was jus’ a widdle puppy...”

“It was a big puppy, alright!” Bobby said defensively.

“Okay,” Eric chuckled, showing his palms in mock surrender, “I promise, nothing too dangerous this time. No dogs and no keeping watch.”

As usual, Bobby didn’t seem too convinced. Too bad he didn’t have a say in the matter.
Last edited by *coco on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

108 Reviews

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:41 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Melody walked away, shaking her head. She should have known that Eric of all people wasn’t going to understand. As if he would know what it’s like to lose not only one but both parents. All Eric had to worry about what was reputation and how many girls sucked up to him. Must be nice not to have to worry about anything, Melody thought bitterly. She realized she was envying Eric of all people! She shook her head in self-disgust. Melody quickened her pace to her car, trying to forget about the night. As she got into car, she promised herself she’d never go to another party, especially if Eric was there. Someone knocked on the window. Melody rolled her eyes, thinking it was Eric. Against her better judgment, she rolled down the window. To her surprise, it was Lauren.

“What did Eric say or do?” she asked bluntly.

“It’s not Eric,” Melody lied. “I just have a really bad headache and decided to go home.” She cringed at how stupid her lie sounded. Of course Lauren didn’t buy it. She fixed Melody with a dubious stare.

“That’s why you’re driving alone at night?” she asked raising an eyebrow. “Come on Melody, at least come up with a better excuse. I know Eric isn’t exactly your favorite person in the world, but just keep in mind that he isn’t such a bad guy. I guess I’ll see you around at school.” With that she walked away before Melody could even reply.

More disoriented than before, Melody rolled the window up and backed the car out. She was relieved when she finally got home. Her uncle was sitting on the couch in the living room, watching TV. He looked up as she was about to ascend the stairs to her bedroom.

“Back so soon? How was the party?” he asked, trying in vain to get her to talk.

“I got bored and left,” Melody said. It wasn’t a total lie. A bunch of teens she didn’t know listening to loud music-and not even the kind she liked- and making out wasn’t Melody’s definition of fun. Her uncle nodded at her reply, not knowing exactly what to say. When the silence became unbearable, Melody decided it was time to go to her room.

“Good night,” he said as she climbed the stairs.

“Good night,” Melody replied, anxious to end the awkward conversation. She knew her uncle was really trying but that didn’t he it was working. Once she was in her room and the door was closed, Melody let out the sigh she’d been holding since she’d got home.

130 Reviews

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:28 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

Eric whistled an upbeat tune as he and Bobby rejoined the party. To say that he was excited about tomorrow morning would be an understatement. Just as he was about to follow Bobby out to the pool where their friends were, he suddenly remembered Melody...

“You go ahead, B, I’ll catch up with you guys in a minute.”

There it was again, another stern look, “Where are you going now?” Bobby frowned.

Eric pretended like he couldn’t hear him and started venturing through Casey’s house trying to find Melody. Hopefully she was still here...

“Eric!” from nowhere Lauren grabbed him by the collar of his shirt stopping him dead in his tracks. “Where the heck have you been? I’ve been looking everywhere for you!”

Wow, she looked mad. Her eyes were big and everything.

Eric arched an eyebrow. “Have I done something wrong?”

Yes, you have!” she quipped. “I brought Melody here so you could have a chance to show her the real you, and what do you do? You go and screw it up!”

Eric was confused. Lauren carried on babbling...

“I leave you two alone and turn my back for one second and the next thing I know you’re nowhere to be seen and she’s getting into her car giving me lame excuses to go home.”

Eric’s face almost fell. “Oh man, she went home? Why didn’t you stop her?”

Lauren shoved him angrily. “Why didn’t I stop her? Why didn’t you stay with her? Where the heck did you go, anyway?”

“I had some work to do,” was Eric’s only reply.

Of course this answer did nothing to assuage her irritation.

“What are you up to, Eric?” she asked with caution.

He just smirked wickedly and walked passed her, ruffling her hair as he did so. “You’ll find out soon enough, alien...”

Eric leaned against his locker, lollypop in mouth and a wolfish smirk across his face as he watched Ruby walk through the school halls the next morning. Poor little blonde, she had no idea what was coming to her...

"Kelley!" Ruby called, strutting over to the gang of plastics standing by the water fountain. "I've been calling you all morning, where have you been?"

Kelley didn't reply. She and the girls just carried on with their conversations like Ruby wasn't even there.

"...I totally can't wait!" exclaimed one of the plastics, clapping her hands together in excitement.

"Me neither!" agreed another plastic. "Your party is gonna be totally awesome, Kelley!"

Ruby eyed them all with a look of confusion. "You're throwing a party?" she asked Kelley. "How come I wasn't told about this?"

Kelley turned to Ruby as if noticing her for the first time before giving her the kind of fake smile that Ruby would normally give to people. "Um, sorry, Ruby, but that's because you're kinda not invited..."

Ruby processed her words for a second before arching an outraged eyebrow. "Excuse me? Have you forgotten who you're talking to? You can't just not invite me to your party, I'm the most popular girl in school, remember?!"

"You were the most popular girl in school..." Kelly corrected her. "The truth is Ruby, you've kinda lost your credibility now that Eric dumped you and you're no longer head cheerleader..."

"WHAT? Ruby practically spat the words. "What the hell do you mean I'm 'no longer' head cheerleader?"

Kelley pretended to look shocked. "Oh, I'm sorry, Ruby, didn't Coach Hurley tell you? She called me to her office this morning to give the position to me..."

Needless to say, Eric enjoyed the look on Ruby's face as Kelley and the plastics walked off without another word. He just smiled and patted himself on the back as he headed for class.

Man I'm good...

Phase one of operation 'De-throne the Queen' was now complete. :wink:
Last edited by *coco on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

108 Reviews

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:56 pm
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

As Melody walked into math class, she noticed the strangest things. One: Ruby and her Clones weren’t sitting together; in fact, the Clones were sitting as far away from Ruby and as possible. Two: Ruby didn’t insult Melody as she walked past to get to her desk. And three: Ruby didn’t even look up when Melody walked into the room. Melody didn’t know if she should be happy or alarmed. The apocalypse just might be happening…

Though Melody didn’t exactly know how to feel about Ruby’s weird(er) behavior, she knew she should be on guard since it probably meant Ruby was planning something. Well it wasn’t going to work this time. Melody might have been stupid enough to fall for Ruby’s tricks before, but she learned just about anyone that went to Verona Academy wasn’t trustworthy. Only Lauren was different. Instead of following the crowd, she lived by her own rules, and if anyone didn’t like it, that was their problem.

“Melody took her seat in the back next to Lauren.

“Hey, Melody,” Lauren said, turning to face her.

“Hey, Lauren,” Melody replied.

“Look, about what happened last night, whatever Eric did or said, just ignore it. Though he’s an idiot and he says and does things without thinking them through, he really likes you.” Melody’s eyebrows shot up.

“I know that’s not saying much,” Lauren replied, seeing Melody’s expression. “But Eric’s never been good at expressing his feelings, and you’re different than all the other girls he’s dated, so-” At that moment, the teacher walked in, making Lauren stop mid-sentence. Talk about good timing!

But Lauren continued, “We’ll talk about this later.” She turned to the board where the teacher was standing, about to begin today’s lesson. Melody suppressed a groan. She should have known she wasn’t going to get that lucky.

130 Reviews

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:22 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

[X]
Last edited by *coco on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher