z

Young Writers Society

To Love or Not To Love: A Romeo and Juliet Parody

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:05 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

Eric would be lying to himself if he said he wasn't a little...well...taken aback by what Melody had just happened. He just stood there standing like a jerk, watching her walk off. A part of him was a little fed up with the way she was acting. Another part of him, a part he didn't really know existed before, actually felt bad for getting her so upset.

He knew everything Melody had said about him was true. His intention was just to use her until he got bored, just like he'd done with all the other girls he'd been with in the past. It was the oldest trick in the book and he'd used it because it always worked...until now.

I’ve dealt with enough guys like you... she'd said.

For some reason hearing that from her moved something inside Eric. He didn't know exactly what that was, but it scared him all the same. What do I do now? Try a different approach, give up? Hell no, I never give up an' more importantly I never get so damn emotional over some chick... Then again Melody wasn't just 'some' chick...

Women...can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...! Eric shook his head slightly and headed for his own locker to grab his gym bag before heading over to football practise. He had to focus. Friday's game against Midsummer High was only four days away. He had a team he needed to lead and a scholarship he needed win. He wasn't about to let a girl get in the way of all that. Even if that girl fascinated him beyond words...
Last edited by *coco on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

The next day at school, against his better judgement, Eric decided to approach Melody. He couldn’t get her out of his head. Football practice had been rough because all he could focus on was her. He figured the sooner he talked to her again and set things right, the sooner he could move on with his life. What better time than the present?

Encouraged by this, Eric walked up to Melody, tapped her shoulder, and leaned against the locker next to hers. He would have called her name aloud but she wouldn’t have heard him since she was listening to her iPod. Eric wondered how Melody could still hear. He was standing about half a foot away from her and could still hear the loud, angry emo song she was listening to.

When Melody turned to face him, she glowered at him. Eric smiled at her, trying to get on her good side-if that was even possible. But if he wanted to play hard, so could she. Melody’s response was to turn the volume on her iPod up. She stared straight ahead refusing to look at Eric, as if he wasn’t there. Eric felt a surge of irritation. He’d never met anyone so…so…stubborn, impossible, and yet alluring! Gone was the vulnerable, pained look in Melody’s eyes replaced by her usual indomitable, steely expression.

Eric inhaled deeply, forcing himself to be patient. Melody was obviously the type of person that took time to open up, and though he wasn’t used to people like that, he’d just have to get used to it. He was curious why Melody was so guarded. He remembered her saying she’d dealt with enough guys like him. That must have been it. But Eric had a strong feeling that wasn’t the only reason why Melody was so introverted. Either way, he’d have to show her she could trust him. He’d have to go slow.

Eric smiled hopefully at Melody, giving her his best puppy dog look. Melody felt a wave of anger wash over her. He thought he could give her that stupid look and it would work? Melody stared at him, for once, her face an emotionless mask. Eric’s smile wavered. What was she thinking? Was it working?

In spite of herself, Melody stared at Eric curiously. His face looked so innocent. Melody wanted to trust him. Her impassive expression changed to something between frank curiosity and openness. It wasn’t much, but it was a start. Eric’s lips broke into a triumphant smirk. He couldn’t help it, he saw it was working. But quickly, his grin faded. Melody had noticed the change in his expression, and her face darkened. Eric could have kicked himself for that mindless slipup.

She pulled her earbuds out and turned off her iPod. Melody cut right to the chase. “What are you here for, Eric?” Eric winced at her brusqueness.

“I-I just came to apologize,” he replied.

“What? It didn’t work out with the cheerleader?” Melody mocked.

“No it didn’t,” Eric replied irritably, “because she’s not the one I like. It’s you.” He said the last part softer, like he truly meant it, and when he looked up at her, he started at her hopefully, willing her to believe it. The hopeful look he gave her was the most genuine expression Melody had ever seen on his face. Melody looked away, frustrated that part of her wanted to believe it. Don’t trust him, you idiot! her inner voice screamed. Remember Grant? Don’t believe anything he says, not coming from a guy like him, and not after Grant. After so many lies, you learned how to distinguish the true from false.

“You might want to work on your lying skills, Eric. You are a terrible liar. All those girls that fall for it must be really desperate, really stupid, or both." Fortunately, right after Melody said what she had to, the bell rang. Melody had never been so happy to have class in her life. Without a backwards glance at Eric, she hurried to math class.

Eric growled in frustration. He started to wonder what he even liked about Melody. Before he’d met Melody, Eric would have never guessed a person could be so damn irritating and captivating all at once. He couldn’t let Melody go. No matter how long it took, she was worth it, that much Eric knew. Eric began devising yet another trial and error plan to win Melody over-or at least get her to trust him.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

130 Reviews

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:29 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

I sure know how to choose ‘em...

Eric was starting to think that chasing girls like Melody should become some kind've Olympic sport. He tried every trick in his book on that girl but each one failed miserably. It was like she could read his every move. Two days passed and Eric was still nowhere near earning her trust, he’d only succeeded in doing two things; one, annoying her even more than he already had, and two, confusing his friends.

“Eric, is everything alright?” asked Bobby one night when the boys were at another house party.

“Yeah, why?”

“Well, you've ignored just about every girl that's come up to you.”

“I did?” Eric hadn't even realised.

Bobby arched an eyebrow. “Yes, you did. You're not sick or something, are you?”

Eric rolled his eyes in annoyance. He didn’t have time for this. The truth was that he only had eyes for one girl at the moment. Yes, Melody was stubborn and she sure as hell wasn't going to make things easy for him but like it or not she was his next goal, and other girls that wanted to be by his side would just have to wait until he'd accomplished his goal and was ready to move on.

Unfortunately, his friends obviously didn’t see it like that.

“He's definitly sick!” his friend Logan declared loudly.

“I’m not sick!” Eric frowned. He looked at his friends; Logan, Reese, Casey and Bobby and noticed that hey were all staring at him with looks of confusion and intrigue on their faces. Eric rolled his eyes. Clearly his relationship with girls was of serious interest to them. “Alright, look...” he leaned forward like he was about to tell them some huge conspiracy, “...what happened is there’s this girl from school and she is gorgeous, y’know what I mean? Not like the girls we’ve met, but better!” he assured them, his expression dead serious.

“Whoa, whoa!” Bobby suddenly interrupted. “This girl...tell me it isn’t the one you were talkin’ about a few days ago?”

Eric shrugged. “It might be, why?”

“Unbelievable...” Bobby shook his head in dismay. “You told me you were gonna leave that girl alone!”

“Did I?” Eric chuckled before punching Bobby playfully on the arm. “Come on, B, you know I only said that to shut you up.”

The next day, Eric and his boys headed for English class at the auditorium and took their seats. From where they sat, Eric could just about see Melody sitting a few rows in front of him. As usual she was on her own. Eric shook his head in dismay. And she told me she could find friends... Still, at least her hair was looking better. It was still a little too short for Eric’s liking but it was starting to grow and curl a little at the tips framing that pretty little face of hers.

She must’ve felt his eyes watching her from the back because she snapped her head around and glared at him. Eric gave her his trademark smirk and a cocky salute just to let her know that he was still working on getting her to trust him. She growled back at him with irritation before the entrance of Mrs Bing made her turn round.

“Settle down everyone!” Mrs Bing chirped, wobbling her way up on to the stage. Mr Reed followed behind her in silence handing out copies of what looked like the new script.

Eric took his and began to flick through.

“Now, I’m sure you’ve all noticed that the script you now have in your hands now is completely different to the one I gave to you last time.”

“Hell yeah it is, I can actually understand this one!” Logan declared, making everyone laugh.

Mrs Bing smiled. “That’s right Logan. You see, Mr Reed and I have decided that a traditional production of Romeo and Juliet may not be such a good idea. The whole point of this school production is to get you kids excited and involved, that clearly wouldn’t happen with a play that you all deem to be too difficult to understand.”

She pulled out her own paper copy of the new script. “Which is why I have now revamped the original script, adding a more modern and hip twist to this classic love story. If that doesn’t get you kids excited, I really don’t know what will...” Mrs Bing opened up her script and continued. “Our story shall take place in North America in the 1960s, during the inter-war period when Italian Mafia’s ruled the streets. The two households mentioned in the play shall be two rival families. The Montague’s will be an Italian migrated crime family who rule over one side of Verona. The Caupulet’s will be a wealthy and powerful American family who have control over the other side of Verona.”

“Awsome!” even Bobby looked excited.

“Oh, there’s more, Bobby,” Mrs Bing’s smile was growing by the minute. “Our Romeo shall be the next in line to lead the Montague crime family, and our Juliet shall be the daughter of the head of the FBI who is after the Montague’s.” She flicked over to the next page and continued. “Romeo and Juliet shall meet at the Capulet household at the annual masked ball after Romeo sneaks in with his brothers with the sole intention of kidnapping the Capulet’s daughter, Juliet. What happens of course is that he shares a dance with Juliet and the pair fall in love with one another, not knowing who the other is.”

Eric had to admit. This sounded impressive.

“Now, since Eric first suggested the need for Mr Reed and I to revise the script, I feel that it is only fair that he play the lead role of Romeo. Does anyone here object?”

Unsurprisingly, nobody put their hands up.

“Fabulous!” clapped Mrs Bing. “Now, as for our Juliet...” Eric smirked wickedly as he watched as his drama teacher’s eyes fell on none other than Melody...
Last edited by *coco on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

108 Reviews

Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:59 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Melody bit back a sigh. No way was she playing the part of Juliet-especially with Eric. No matter how much Mrs. Bing wanted her. At that same time it was nice to have a teacher that liked her. Of course, the one time a teacher likes me, it’s to my disadvantage, Melody thought dryly.

“Melody, I believe you have a chance of being our Juliet. What do you get to say?” Me?! Wow, really? I get to star in the school play with the ‘hottest’ guy in school? PASS! Maybe after the apocalypse.

Sadly, Melody couldn’t say that. Not because she was afraid of getting in trouble, but because she Maybe if it was any other teacher, she would have said it, but unlike most teachers, Mrs. Bing wasn’t judging her. Melody bit the inside of cheek, struggling with figuring out what she was going to say. The hopeful look on Mrs. Bing’s face was almost too much to bear. It felt good to have a teacher like you, but it sucked when they saw potential in you and you let them down. At least with most teachers, they only expected what Melody gave them, attitude.

“I don’t know…” Melody replied.

Mrs. Bing sighed disappointedly. “It’s a shame. You would make such a wonderful Juliet. There’s something special about you. But if you change your mind…” She handed Melody an audition slip. She turned her attention on the rest of the English classes, but every so often she would glance at Melody. A small sigh escaped Melody’s lips. Why did people always want what she couldn’t or wouldn’t do?

As Melody was leaving the auditorium, she looked down at the audition slip, debating whether she should try out or not. Ever since she was a child, she’d always loved singing and drama. Music was in her blood; it was how her parents had met, so naturally, Melody loved singing and played the guitar. She remembered the day her parents had given Melody her first guitar when she was nine after learning the basics on guitar playing.

I want to be a musician,” Melody declared, sitting on her parents’ laps while strumming her new instrument.

“That’s my girl,” he father said, smiling proudly as he kissed her cheek.

“I also want to be an actress,” Melody announced, leaning into her father’s chest.

“You do?” he asked. In his family, people were musicians, not actors. But Melody’s mother smiled.

“You’d be great at both,” she assured Melody. She removed a necklace with a star pendant on it from her neck and it slipped it over Melody’s head.

“Melody, baby, no matter what anyone tells you, the sky isn’t the limit. Not when you can reach for the stars.”

Melody absently fingered the necklace hidden under her T-Shirt, tears blurring her eyes. She shook her head to clear her thoughts-and emotions. In her old life, Melody had followed her mother’s motto of pursuing your dreams and always believing in yourself. But that was in her old life when everything was right. After her parents died, Melody lost interest in everything, her dreams of being a musician and actress a distant memory of a completely different life from a long time ago. But maybe Mrs. Bing was right, Melody should tryout. Maybe Melody could feel…alive again.

A part of Melody knew she needed to do this. She needed to move on or at least try and live a normal life. She was falling apart, and the only way to keep herself together was to stop wallowing in sorrow and just move on. Melody went into the girl’s bathroom, making sure it was empty. She allowed herself to cry instead of blasting her iPod to escape the world and keeping her bottled up, ready to explode any moment like a can of soda left in the back of the fridge for too long. Melody allowed her tears to fall freely, the tears cleaning her like a light rainfall on a summer evening.

When Melody’s tears were spent and she felt better than she had in months, she stood up took a wad of toilet paper and dried her tearstained cheeks. She then filled out the audition slip. Melody exited the restroom and was on her way to the auditorium when she saw Eric coming up to her. Yet, she didn’t feel angry, stressed, frustrated or even annoyed. Melody just felt calm, like the ocean after a raging storm. She just waited for Eric to approach her.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

130 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:18 am
View Likes
*coco says...

Eric sat slumped in one of the auditorium seats. He irritably flipped through his copy of the script. As his eyes scanned the ridiculous amount of lines he was expected to learn as Romeo, he realised something. He couldn't do this; most of the time he couldn't even remember what day of the week it was, how the heck could he remember all these damn lines?

What have I got myelf into? The only reason why he put himself forward for this stupid play in the first place was to get close to Melody, who knows, maybe even try to win her over. But as usual, she wasn't making things easy for him. She was being her usual stubborn-self, leaving Eric feeling more than just a little fed up with the whole situation.

Just as he was about to wave the white flag and give up altogether, he watched Melody walk back into the auditorium. Her eyes looked puffy like she'd been crying or something, which didn't make sense because she had a smile on her face. Wierd.

Eric watched her approach Mrs Bing with a mixture of intrigue and confusion. "Uh, Mrs Bing?" Melody handed her a piece of paper. "I've changed my mind. I'd like to audition for the role of Juliet."

Eric let out a smile, a large wolfish one. Looks like his plan still had a chance of working afterall....

The triumphant smile didn't leave Eric's face even after school was over. He'd had an overall awesome day. Not only did it look like his plan to charm Melody might still have a shot of working, but he was in pretty good form at football practise today making Friday's game against Midsummer High look like it'd be a walk in the park.

"Looks like someone's had a good day," Eric's step-mom commented. She'd been watching the maids set up the dinner table but when Eric entered the house, she came out to greet him like she always did.

"You could say that," Eric smirked, dropping his bags to the floor making his step-mom twitch at the mess. "Is dinner ready? I'm so hungry I could eat a horse..."

"Yes, dinner is ready, take a seat. Your brothers will be home late tonight but your father should be on his way."

Thankfully, Eric's stomach didn't have to wait long for some much needed grub. His dad soon arrived home and within a few minuted, dinner was being served. As usual, Eric stocked up his plate before his step-mom could even say grace. He only stopped after his dad threw him an icy glare across the table, but as soon as the prayer was over, Eric shamelessly stuffed his face.

"So, are you all set for tomorrow's big game?" his dad asked Eric conversationally over the dinner table.

Eric took a monstrous bite of his bread roll before answering with his mouth full, "Yup..." his step-mom grimaced at his lack of manners.

"Swallow first, dear," she told him sternly.

Eric swallowed before continuing confidently. "Tomorrow's game might just be my best one yet, pops."

His dad scoffed and took a polite sip of his wine. "It had better be. This scholarship is your last chance to prove your worth to the Van Holden family name. "

Eric suddenly stopped chewing. "What's that supposed to mean?" he frowned.

"You know exactly what it means, Eric..." his dad continued, neatly cutting up his meat, "...at your age I was being groomed to manage my father's business just as your brothers are now being groomed to manage mine. And whilst they are pulling their weight in this family, all you've managed to do is fail your exams, skip classes, and chase after girls."

Eric's frown grew deeper by the second. As usual his step-mom tried to intervene on his behalf but Eric's ole man was having none of it.

"It is time for you to start taking things seriously, son," he continued. "You need to start taking responsibility for your future. And it all starts with this scholarship..."

Thanks for the vote of confidence, dad... Not that Eric was surprised. He was used to being undermined by his ole man. He'd been on Eric's case since his mom had passed away all those years ago. Eric used to hate the way his dad treated him compared to his brothers, like he was the black sheep of the family, the child that went wrong, the least loved...when his step-mom came into the picture she tried to make things better for him, but Eric still felt unwanted...

With three perfect elder brothers it was hard not to feel that way...
Last edited by *coco on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

108 Reviews

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:34 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Melody took her seat in the auditorium as far away from everyone as possible. She waited for English class to begin while everyone gossiped. Mrs. Bing entered followed by Mr. Reed. Immediately everyone fell silent. As Mrs. Bing climbed the stairs to the stage.

“Good afternoon, everyone. After all the auditions Mr. Reed and I finally have decided who will be in the play.” She held up a list of the cast for all to see. Excited whispers could be heard throughout the auditorium, echoing on the walls. Mrs. Bing smiled at all the enthusiasm.

“Settle down everyone," she said, waiting for it to quiet down. “Now I shall call out the Cast.” Melody leaned forward in her seat, suddenly intrigued. She thought her audition yesterday went well. Five summers of acting camp had to pay off. Melody almost smiled remembering the passion she felt reading the lines of Juliet. The thing she loved most about acting was being able to be someone entirely different and to experience something new.

“As you all know Eric is our Romeo. Mrs. Bing said.” Everyone looked at Eric who smirked. Melody rolled her eyes. She loved the revamped play Mr. Reed and Mrs. Bing wrote, and she liked the personality of Juliet. Too bad Mr. Reed and Mrs. Bing made the mistake of choosing Eric as Romeo. Then again Romeo had the same cocky swagger as Eric, so maybe it wasn’t a mistake at all…

“And as for our Juliet, though we had many good auditions, Mr. Reed and I have decided that Melody Grey will play the part of Juliet.” Mrs. Bing beamed at Melody, and everyone stared at her, whispering to the person next to them. Melody could hear them saying her name, but she didn’t care. She felt a small smile tugging at her lips. Melody, baby, no matter what anyone tells you, the sky isn’t the limit. Not when you can reach for the stars. Instinctively, Melody’s fingers brushed against her mother’s necklace as her mother’s words echoed in her mind, but instead of making her feel sad, the memory uplifted her.

Ruby stared at Melody in disbelief. What was that freak smiling about? Probably the fact that she got to star in the play with Eric, undoubtedly the hottest guy alive. Ruby honestly couldn’t see what Eric liked about her. And now that they were starring in the play together, Melody would definitely start to like him. No girl could resist Eric’s charm. If only there was a way to keep them apart. Suddenly, a light bulb turned on in Ruby’s mind. What if Melody liked another guy? The idea, in Ruby’s opinion, was brilliant, but what guy would like her? For one thing he’d have to be a total nobody, just like Melody. She scanned the auditorium looking for a guy within Melody’s league. Problem was all the guys were hot-not as hot as Eric, but still way too good for Emo Girl.

Ruby would just have to try harder. Her eyes zoomed in on a possible guy. He had dark brown hair with a long chunk of hair covering his right eye in an Emo kind of way. And his clothes! Wrinkled T-shirt with some band name that was probably the kind of music Emo Girl liked, ripped jeans, and converse sneakers. His tapped his foot rhythmically against the floor, and when Ruby looked closely, she saw a pair of black ear buds jammed into his ears. He was perfect! Ruby got up from her seat, despite the looks her friends gave her as she approached him. Ruby groaned. Just being seen near him would ruin her reputation.

“Hey, you!” she said loudly over the noisy song from his iPod that she could hear standing several inches away from him.

He pulled his ear buds out.

“Yeah, what?” Ruby resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Emo.

“I need you to do something for me.”

“What’s in it for me?” The question caught Ruby off guard. She hadn’t thought of that. She’d just assumed some loser would be so desperate for a girlfriend, they’d settle for Emo Girl.

“What do you want?”

His gaze glided to Ruby’s best friend, Kelly. “Do you think your friend would be interested in me?” Ruby bit her lip to keep from laughing. As if Kelly would like him! Maybe after hell freezes over.

“Sure,” Ruby said, forcing a bright smile, hoping he couldn’t tell she was lying.

The answer was good enough for him, because he said, “What do you want me to do?”

Ruby pointed to Melody. “See that girl?”

“The Emo one?” No, the one like you, Ruby thought sarcastically.

“Yes,” Ruby said.

“What about her?”

Ruby forced another smile. “I need to you to pretend you’re interested in her.”

Ruby expected him to question her further, but he just replied, “Okay.”

“Why don’t you go talk to her?”

“Sure,” he replied. He started to get it up but stopped.

“When do you introduce me to your friend?” Never.

“I’ll let you know. Just get that girl to like you and we’ll figure something out.”

Melody saw someone approaching her. She rolled her eyes in annoyance, expecting it to be Eric. Instead she saw a guy she’d never seen before approach her. He was probably one of Eric’s friends sent to Melody in some attempt to get her to like him. But Melody wasn’t so sure. This guy was clearly Emo and seemed to be the loner type like her. Still, it was strange that he was approaching her.

“Hi,” he said, taking a seat next to her.

“Hi,” Melody replied cautiously.

“You new around here?”

“Yes.”

He nodded. “Thought you could use a friend.” Melody resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Was she just a charity case to people?

“Did Eric set you up to this?”

He just snorted. “That idiot? No, just thought a pretty girl like you shouldn’t be sitting here alone.” He offered her an enigmatic smile. Melody couldn’t help but return it. She had a feeling that he just might be okay.

“What’s your name?” he asked her.

“Melody.”

“Melody,” he repeated, nodding. “I like that.”

“What’s yours?”

“Jeffery.”

“So Melody, how about I show you around?”

A small smile lit Melody’s face, and her stomach fluttered nervously, though she didn’t know why. “I’d like that.”

130 Reviews

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:51 am
View Likes
*coco says...

Rehearsals of secondary characters were now taking place in different corners of the auditorium. Eric could see Bobby and Logan reading out the lines of Benvolio and Friar Lawrence with Mr Reed, whilst Reese was practising Tybalt's market scene.

Mrs Bing suddenly got up onto the stage and addressed the auditorium.

"Will my Romeo and Juliet please make their way to the stage so that we can begin with the rehearsals!" she called out.

Here goes... Eric got to his feet and strolled up on to the stage. Melody was there before him with her script in her hands. Eric noticed she had a determined look on her face, mixed with a hint of excitement. Eric was excited too, but for a completely different reason...

"Lovely," Mrs Bing beamed at them both. "Now we can-" she stopped mid-sentence and looked down at Eric's empty hands. "Eric, where is your script?"

"It's all in here, miss," he explained, tapping his temple with his finger.

Melody rolled her eyes. Mrs Bing sighed with frustration and handed him a new copy.

"For our first rehearsal we shall begin with page twelve, when Romeo and Juliet first meet. I trust you have read the script at least once, Eric..." she said, shooting him a disapproving look like she already knew the answer.

Eric scoffed with a frown and opened up the script, "Of course I have," he lied.

Mrs Bing didn't buy it but she continued anyway. "Now, let us set the scene: you, Romeo, have come with your fellow brothers, to the Capulet house on the night of the masqued ball with the intention to kidnapp the daughter of the head of the FBI, Juliet. To keep up appearances and avoid suspicion, you and your fellow brethren wear masks and join in the celebrations. You then share a dance with a young girl who you do not know is actually Juliet, herself. Though you cannot see her face behind the mask she wears, you know that you have fallen in love..." she placed a hand on Eric's shoulder and lowered her head. "You may proceed..."

Eric cleared his throat, squared his shoulders confidently, and then looked down at the script to read: "Romeo takes Juliet by the han-"

Mrs Bing rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Eric, please do not read the lines that are in italic, those are stage directions..."

"I knew that..." Eric frowned.

"Start again," Mrs Bing said.

Eric was bored already. "My lady," he read dryly, "if I could be so bold as to say someth-"

"Eric, you sound like you're speaking at a funeral. Where is your passion?" Mrs Bing flapped. "Start again!"

For cryin' out loud... "My lady" he repeated. "If I could be so bold as to say something..." There was still no passion in his voice. He was just reading louder.

Melody looked down at her script and read, "Speak, sir." Her voice was calm and confident.

"I want more passion, Eric," Mrs Bing warned him sternly.

"I have danced with many a women, but none have managed to stir my heart quite like you have..." Eric slowly closed the distance between him. "It is strange," Eric could feel Melody stiffen and it made him smirk. He cheekily leaned in closer even though none of this was written in the stage directions. "I do not even know who you are..."

"Eric..." Mrs Bing's voice was stern.

"You said you wanted more passion," said Eric cleverly. His nose was almost touching Melody's now and she looked far from impressed.

"Stick to the script..." Mrs Bing told him.

"But the script's boring. Where's the kissin' scene?"

That was it. Melody immediately shoved him away angrily and placed a hand on her hip in a defensive way. "I am not kissing you!"

Eric threw her his puppy dog eyes and smirked. "C-mon, Mel. I know you want to..."

Before Melody could respond, Mrs Bing quickly stepped in. It hadn't even been two minutes since they'd started and the woman already looked like she'd had enough.

"I need a coffee," she said, holding her head like it was about to fall off. "You two start from the beginning, I'll be back in five..."

Melody waited until Mrs Bing wobbled out of the auditorium before facing Eric.

"You think your such a badass," she quipped. Eric noticed how cute her angry-face was. It was something about the way her nose scrunched up like a little rabbit.

"I don't think I'm a badass," he quipped back with a cocked eyebrow. "I know I'm a badass..."

She gave him a stern look and he chuckled.

"It's a joke, Mel," unfortunately she wasn't laughing.

Tough crowd...

"Look," she snapped. "Let's just get this over and done with..."

Eric smirked. "Gladly..." he grabbed her arm gently and pulled her close to him until their noses almost touched again. "Now, where were we...?"
Last edited by *coco on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

108 Reviews

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:49 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Furiously, Melody pushed him away with a force that shouldn’t have belonged to someone her size. She raised her boot to stomp on Eric’s foot, but this time, Eric was smart enough to move before her boot came down on his foot. The sound of Melody’s shoe hitting the wooden floor of the stage reverberated in the auditorium. She glared at Eric, folding her arms against her chest protectively. Eric started at her with that familiar infuriating smirk.

“Look Lover Boy,” Melody growled through clenched teeth. “You try making a move one more time, and before you know what’s happened, you’ll be sprawled out on the floor on your back like a dead cockroach. Don’t think I can’t take you down if I have to.”

Eric’s grin widened. “I have no doubt you will, Mel.”

“Call me that one more time and I’ll-

“-Knock me out on my back like a dead cockroach. I know.”

“Wow, you have more sense than I thought. Who knew? Now let’s just get this over with. And no more of your little stunts.”

“As you say.” Melody rolled her eyes.

Eric looked down at his script then reached for Melody’s hand. She pulled her arm sharply.

“I said none of your stunts, Eric!”

“Look at your script, Melody. Read the stage directions.” Shooting him a super annoyed glower, Melody did as she was told. Sure enough the stage directions said, Romeo takes Juliet by the hand. Eric smiled triumphantly. Melody’s cheeks reddened with anger and humiliation. Loathingly, Melody held out her hand for Eric to take. She hated the smug look on his face as he reached for her hand. Melody resisted the impulse to pull away as Eric took her hand.

“Don’t worry, I promise that I don’t bite,” Eric said mischievously, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. Melody wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of jerking away. Instead, she squeezed Eric’s hand to the point where it got uncomfortable. Slowly, Eric’s confident smile faded. He tried to pull away from Melody’s bone-bruising grip. Only when Eric’s hand started to shake from the pressure of Melody’s grasp, did she let go. She grinned darkly at him, a look that clearly said, “Mess with me!”

Eric was losing his patience. “Real mature, Melody.” She laughed humorlessly.

“Yeah, you’re calling me immature? Have you met yourself? At least I’m not hitting on every single person I see with cheesy pickup lines and false compliments.” Eric frowned, knowing what she said was true, but not wanting to hear it. But why did she have to make everything so difficult. Things would a lot simpler for them both if she’d just cooperate for once.

“And why do you have to make everything so difficult?” Eric countered. “Why are you so stubborn? If you just cooperated you could make things easier for us both.”

“Funny,” Melody retorted. “I was thinking the same thing.”

“See what I mean?” Eric shot back. “What is your problem with the world?”

Melody just shook her head. “I knew this wasn’t going to work.” Just another person acting like they know me.

At that minute Mrs. Bing walked back in, a mug of coffee in her hand. She looked from Melody to Eric. Melody’s back was stiff and Eric had an extremely frustrated look on his face.

“Melody, can I speak to you for a minute?” Mrs. Bing called out. Melody got down from the stage and made her way to the secluded corner where Mrs. Bing waited.

“This isn’t working out, is it?” she asked Melody bluntly.

“No ma’am,” Melody admitted.

“Look, Melody, you’re a great actress with lots of talent and potential, but-” There’s always a but, Melody thought grimly. “-you have to find a way to get along with Eric, or else I’m going to have to find another Juliet. Understood?”

“Yes ma’am,” Melody replied.

“Rehearsals are done for today.” With that Mrs. Bing walked away, muttering about how she needed a few aspirins. Trust me you’re not the only one.

At lunch Melody sat by herself, pushing her food around on her tray with her fork. In other words, a typical lunch. Someone slid their tray next to hers. Melody looked up to see Jeffery taking a seat next to her. Melody had a feeling that her day might just be getting better. Jeffery stared at her untouched food and raised an eyebrow.

“Trying to be a model? Because I think you’re pretty already.” In spite of herself, Melody laughed, a genuine sound that came as light and silvery, like the ringing of bell. From any other bo ,y Melody would have rolled her eyes, but from Jeffery, it was…different. Though Melody barely knew him, she knew that like her, he was different, and treated differently because of it. And like her, he was a lone wolf, independent and misunderstood. And that was enough for her.

“I’m not starving myself, or anything like that,” Melody assured him. “I guess it’s just been…a long day…”

“Wanna talk about it?” Jeffery asked. How refreshing, a boy that actually listens when I speak.

“I’m starring in the play with Eric and, he’s being-” Impossible, childish, annoying, a jerk. “-himself, and things just aren’t working out. And if I don’t work things out with him, then I can’t continue to play Juliet in the school play,” Melody confided, the words pouring out of her. It was so easy talking to Jeffery; it was nice to have someone understand-and care.

“Wow, sounds like you could use some fun. I’m in a band, Toxic Blood, and you might be interested in seeing my band’s concert this Friday. What do you say?”

Melody smiled. “I say I’m so there.” Okay, that sounded lame. Jeffery took a piece of paper and a pen from his pocket and scribbled something down on it, handing it to Melody. On it was his phone number. Her smile widened, even though a minute ago Melody wouldn’t have thought that was possible.

“The bell’s about ring and I can’t be late for class again. C’ya around.” Melody stared at the piece of paper, feeling happier than she had in ages. Finally, she had something to look forward to.

130 Reviews

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:49 am
View Likes
*coco says...

“AND IT’S ALL OVER! VERONA HIGH HAS DONE IT AGAIN THANKS TO IT'S STAR QUARTERBACK ERIC VAN HOLDEN!”

When the final whistle blew, Eric was practically jumped on by just about every player on his team. His three touchdowns had won the game for Verona High and tonight they were gonna celebrate like there was no tomorrow.

An hour later, Eric and his friends were heading out of school to go to a party. They still had their jerseys on and were chanting loudly as they got into Eric’s Range Rover. Eric had the winning football in his hand and was recreating his last touchdown with Bobby when he spotted Melody standing next to a rusty old car.

At that moment the sound of sudden shouts made Eric return his focus back to his friends. They must’ve snatched the football from his hands when he wasn’t looking because suddenly it came flying to him, hitting his head with a loud bang.

Ouch...

“Eyes on the ball, Eric!” his friends yelled mimicking Coach Clancy.

“C-mon, E, we’ve got a party to go to,” Bobby was already inside the car.

Eric smirked wickedly. “One sec...”

With his usual swagger he strolled up to Melody. She had her back to him which made Eric smirk even wider. He slowly came up behind her, looming over her a good few inches.

“Hello Mel,” he spoke, clearly scaring her.

The look on her face was priceless. She jumped out of her skin and let out a scream like she was being mobbed. Eric burst into a fit of laughter.

“Oh, you jerk!” she shrieked, shoving him away.

“I’m sorry...” Eric was clutching his stomach, gasping between laughs, “I couldn’t help myself...”

Glaring at him, she turned on her heel and walked away from him. Eric rolled his eyes.

Jesus, couldn’t she take a joke?

He followed her and gently grabbed her arm to stop her.

“Alright, I’m sorry,” he said to her genuinely. He really didn’t mean to make her that angry.

“Apology not accepted,” she huffed, snatching her arm from his grip. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m meeting someone.”

Eric arched a surprised brow. “Who?” Last time he checked she had no friends.

Her mouth curled into something resembling a smile. “If you must know I’m meeting a guy...”

Eric’s jaw almost dropped.

“What guy?” he frowned.

“A decent guy,” she quipped. She was trying to be intimidating but Eric was too angry to realise. He hadn’t even managed to get a smile off of this girl, and some guy was about to get a date?

This can’t be happening...Quick, act cool...

“So uh where’s he takin’ you, this...guy...” Eric was going to say ‘asshole’ but he decided not to.

“To the peer,” she replied, “to see his band perform...”

So he was a musician. Damn...

Eric!” he could hear his friends sounding the horn on his car but he ignored them.

“Does he go to our school?” he asked.

She suddenly looked irritated.

“Yes, he does,” she snapped. “Now go away.”

Eric did go away...eventually...but the shock that, for the first time another guy had beaten him to a girl, stayed with him throughout the party...
Last edited by *coco on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

108 Reviews

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:55 pm
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Melody drove to her uncle’s place. The concert was in an hour and she still had to get ready. When she got home, she quickly changed into a black tank top with a hot pink skull on it, black pants, matching converse sneakers, and black and pink plastic bangles. She then reapplied her eyeliner and curled her hair. Melody peered at her reflection in the mirror, feeling a little self-conscious. Her hair wasn’t very Emo looking. Emos liked pin-straight hair, not Goldie Locks curls. But it was either Goldie Locks curls are short boyish looking hair. Tough choice. When Melody was satisfied, she descended the stairs and was about to leave, except her aunt stood in front of the door. She glared at Melody disapprovingly.

“Where are you going dressed like that?” Melody rolled her eyes.

“On a date.”

“Does your uncle know you’re going out in public dressed like that?”

“Yes, Aunt Mary. I showed him the outfits and he said I could wear it.” Though he wasn’t thrilled about it, she silently added. There was nothing wrong with her shirt. It wasn’t revealing. The worse you could say about it was that it was sleeveless and had a skull on it.

“What time is your curfew?”

“Midnight.” Mary’s eyes widened in horror. Melody almost laughed. The look on Mary’s face was pure gold. Jeffery’s band wasn’t playing until 9:00 and they’d be playing for a few hours. Though Uncle Jack was not thrilled about letting Melody go on this date, he trusted her, and he knew how much this meant to her.

“Now if you excuse, I don’t want to be late for my date.” With that she walked past her aunt, for once, not bothered by the furious scowl on her face.

Melody knocked on Jeffery’s stage door.

“Come in,” he said. Jeffery was strumming an electric guitar. When he saw Melody he looked up and smiled. Melody smiled coyly, making her face look younger and unbelievably sweet, like she couldn’t snap a bone when she needed too, or even so much as hurt a fly.

“Wow, you look…amazing. I love what you did with your hair.” And it was true. Melody’s beautiful locks framed her face, enhancing her features by making them appear to be softer. Melody glowed with the compliment.

“I gotta get on stage now. I’ll see you after the concert.” He got up, walked past Melody, his fingers deliberately, softly brush, against hers, making Melody blush and smile. She exited the room and took her place in the crowd. She could see Jeffery standing onstage, grinning at her and winking. Melody returned his grin, her heart doing a summersault.

Eric stood alone, his hands stuffed in his pockets as he watched everyone else laughed and had a good time. A few girls approached Eric but when he didn’t respond, they just gave up and left. Bobby noticed Eric’s strange behavior.

“C’mon, man, you should be happy. We won!” But Eric just shook his head.

“Who’s the girl?” Bobby asked, finally catching on.

“Melody Grey,” Eric finally replied. “But not that it matters, she’s not interested,” he added bitterly. Eric finally knew what rejection felt like and it wasn’t a good feeling. It was a bleak combination of jealousy, anger, and…hurt. If it was some other girl, it would have been her loss, but Melody wasn’t just some girl, and her opinion of him mattered to him.

Bobby’s brow furrowed in confusion. “What about Ruby?” Eric shrugged.

“Okay, E, you have got to snap out of this. You’ll find someone else. Do you know how many girls are dying to meet you?” Again, Eric shrugged. Bobby stared at her with genuine concern.

“Seriously, man, what is up with you? Just at least talk to one girl. Like they say, there are a million fish in the sea.” Not like Melody. But still, he got up and followed Bobby to where a redheaded cheerleader talked with a few other girls. When she saw Eric, she flashed him a flirty smile. But Eric wasn’t watching; a few feet from him stood Ruby arguing with her best friend, Kelly.

“Come on, Kelly!”

“No way am I going on a date with that loser!”

“Look, I promised him a date with you if he pretended to be interested in that Emo girl, Melody.” Suddenly, Eric was very intrigued by their conversation.

“How did I get dragged into this?” Kelly exclaimed. “Look, Ruby, I know that you like Eric, but even he’s not worth sacrificing my reputation.” Ruby pouted. But suddenly a sly smile illuminated her face.

“You like my older brother, don’t you?” Kelly nodded warily.

“Well, he owes me a favor. If you do this one small favor for me, then I’ll get him to go on a date with you.” Now Kelly became interested.

“I just have to go on one date with that loser?” Ruby nodded.

“Alright, but if anyone finds out about this…” Kelly trailed off, letting her threat hang in the air. Ruby smiled triumphantly.

Eric couldn’t believe what he was hearing that guy didn’t really like Melody. She’s way too good for that butthole, he though heatedly. He had to warn Melody. At the same time Eric wondered how Melody practically hated him, but she liked some guy that didn’t even like her back? What kind of screwed up world was this?! Eric started to walk away when Bobby grabbed his wrist.

“Dude, you’ve been acting really weird lately. Where are you going?” But Eric barely heard him. He pulled his arm from Bobby’s grip and walked outside to his car. Hopefully Melody would still be at the pier…
The concert was over, and Melody was walking with Jeffery. He had his fingers intertwined with hers, and they walked so close, their shoulders touched. Jeffery’s thumb traced small circles on her wrist. Melody liked the way her hand fit into his calloused one. Though his skin was rough from years of raw guitar playing, its touch was gentle. It just felt…natural…

“I really had a good time tonight,” Melody said. And it was true. She hadn’t had so much fun in so long she couldn’t even remember. Her head still buzzed pleasantly from the energetic music and lyrics. And her heart was beating faster than usual, and not from the exhilarating music…

“I’m glad you came,” Jeffery said quietly. They stopped walking, and he turned to face Melody. Jeffery gently pulled his hand away and brought it to Melody’s cheek. He tilted her head towards his face. Melody’s heart skipped a beat as Jeffery’s face came closer to hers…

“Melody!” Jeffery pulled away sharply. Crap! Leave it to Eric to ruin her night. Why did I tell him that I was going to be at the pier? Oh right, I hoped that he’d just give up and leave me alone. But I should’ve known who I was dealing with…

Eric ran up to Melody and glared at Jeffery.

“What, Eric?” Melody snapped. Jeffery was about to kiss her, and thanks to him, not anymore. Talk about bad timing!

“There’s something you should about him,” he said glaring at Jeffery.

“His name is Jeffery,” Melody retorted.

Eric rolled his eyes. “Fine, there’s something you should you should know about Jeffery.”

“This ought to be interesting,” remarked Melody sarcastically. Eric ignored her.

“Look Melody, I know you don’t like me, but you should know Jeffery’s not know who you think he is.” Melody’s eyes narrowed.

“What do you mean?” she asked distrustfully.

“Jeffery doesn’t really like you, he’s just playing you. He made a deal with the head cheerleader, Ruby, that if he made you think he was interested in you, then he’d date her best friend, Kelly. Isn’t that right, Jeffery?” Melody could see Jeffery stiffen from Eric’s accusation. Melody lost it. Eric had followed her here, interrupted her date, and now he was accusing Jeffery of the most ridiculous thing she’d ever heard. Roughly, she grabbed Eric’s arm and pulled him aside out of earshot.

“Leave Jeffery out of this!” Melody seethed. “Do you honestly expect me to believe such a lie?”

Eric sighed impatiently. “Why would I come here if it wasn’t true?”

“Because you can’t handle that I like another guy and you wanted to sabotage my date.”

“Why don’t you believe me?”

“Maybe if you, I don’t know, told the truth for once!” Melody shot back. “Look Eric, why won’t you just give it a rest? I don’t like you and that’s not going to change. I’m not going fall for your little tricks because I’m not stupid. Get over yourself and stay out of my life. Just go terrorize some other girl.”

“Fine, Melody, have it your way.” With that Eric walked away. Whatever. Melody rolled eyes. At least she’d be left alone now.
Eric got his Range Rover and returned to the party. He should have known Melody wasn’t going to believe him. And he couldn’t believe that Jeffery guy was about to kiss Melody. The nerve of that punk! Melody wouldn’t even smile around him, but she’d kiss some scumbag. Though, soon enough, she’d find out the truth. A part of Eric felt sorry that Melody liked a selfish jerk that was playing her, but he was mostly fed up that she didn’t think he was telling the truth. Would it kill that girl to cooperate for once? It wasn’t Eric’s fault she was so stubborn. He did all he could. And it wasn’t his fault that Melody was about to get a reality check.

130 Reviews

Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:14 am
View Likes
*coco says...

By the time Eric got home from the party it was almost midnight. He would’ve stayed longer but he was still pissed over what happened with Melody. Sure he’d gotten a few numbers and had a few drinks but that stubborn girl stayed on his mind the whole damn time.

Pulling off his jersey, he strolled into the kitchen and helped himself to some cap’n crunch – no milk - and took the stairs two at a time to his bedroom. A shower and a good night’s sleep was what he had in mind but when he got to his room, he saw his hippie chick twin-sister Lauren lying on his couch painting her finger nails.

Eric looked down at her with a frown. “What are you doin’ here, alien?”

She looked up and flashed him a smile. “Nice to see you too, loser. Did ya miss me?”

“Not really,” Eric replied.

Lauren threw a cushion at him. “Liar.”

Eric smirked. Lauren had been on an art course in Paris for the past three weeks and to tell the truth he had kinda missed her. Lauren was a lot of things to him; his punch-bag, someone to bug and trade clever insults with. She wasn’t too bad to talk to either...but he’d never tell her that. She’d get way to happy...

“So...” Lauren sat up and started blowing her nails dry. “...anything interesting happen while I was away?”

Eric sank on his bed and leaned backwards on the headboard. “Not really...” he shoved a handful of cereal into his mouth and went on to tell her about the new Duqaine hotel and the fight his brothers got into. “Apart from that it’s been quite boring actually...” he concluded.

“And what about you?” she smirked cheekily. “Anything interesting happen in your life?”

Apart from a girl who’s driving me up the wall. Eric shrugged thoughtfully. “We won today’s game. I scored three touchdowns-”

Lauren rolled her eyes. “Good for you...”

Eric arched an eyebrow at the sarcasm. “It is good for me, actually. Now our ole man might finally start takin’ me seriously.”

Lauren muttered something about ‘boys’ and let out a frustrated sigh. “And here’s me thinkin’ that after three weeks I’ll come home to find something a little more interesting has happened, other than the Duqaine’s building a hotel, our brothers getting into a fight and you winning a stupid-” she paused mid-sentence and picked up Eric’s Romeo and Juliet script from the floor. “Romeo and Juliet?” she questioned.

“Oh yeah, I forgot, Mrs Bing is having us do a revamped version of the play. You might still be able to join...”

Her eyes lit up. “Awesome! I’d love to do the costume designing!” she flicked through the script excitedly. “I’m guessin’ from all the highlighting in here that you’re playing Romeo.”

“Yeah,” Eric almost groaned remembering why he’d joined the stupid play in the first place.

“Who’s playing Juliet?” Lauren asked curiously. “Tell me it’s not Ruby, that girl is such a-”

“Nah,” Eric shook his head. “It’s someone way more annoyin' than her...”

Lauren’s eyebrows shot up. “Who could be more annoying than a girl that throws herself at practically every guy she see’s?”

“How 'bout a girl that doesn’t throw herself at every guy she see’s,” Eric answered.

Lauren lifted a clever eyebrow. “I know that look,” she smirked. “This new girl...she totally rejected you, didn’t she?”

Eric scoffed. “Pss...” he crossed his arms defensively. “No.”

Of course Lauren didn’t buy it. She let out a loud laugh. “This is great! What’s this girl’s name? I’m starting to like her already!”

"Shut up..." Eric threw his smelly jersey at her. It hit Lauren straight on the face and she let out one of her infamous squeals.
Last edited by *coco on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

108 Reviews

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:29 pm
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Monday, Melody walked into math class. As she took her seat, to her surprise, the usually-empty desk next to her was occupied by a new girl. She had long dark brown that fell past her shoulders, and she wore a flowery dress that looked like it belonged from the 60s. Melody kind of liked her hippie/punk-rock sense of fashion. Ruby walked into class followed by her Clones. She stopped and looked at the new girl like she stepped in gum.

“Hey, E.T.,” Ruby said. Ruby’s Clones laughed. This didn’t faze the girl, though. “Where have you been for the past three weeks? Did the mother ship take you back? Too bad they didn’t keep you.”

Lauren shook her head, as if answering a real question. “No mother ship. Paradise,” she replied. “I was away from you.” Melody laughed. It sounded exactly like something she’d say. Ruby narrowed her eyes and turned to glare at Melody.

“What are you laughing at, freak?”

Before Melody could respond, the girl replied, “She’s laughing at your face. Come on, Ruby, how do you expect people to take you seriously with fifty pounds of makeup on that thing you call your face? On the bright side, if you’re trying to join the circus, it’s working.” Melody was starting to like this girl! She snickered at the outraged look on Ruby’s face. This was the most interesting that’d happened at Verona Academy.

Ruby rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Like I’m gonna take fashion advice from you freaks.”

“Well I’d rather be a freak than a-” The girl’s sentence was cut short by the teacher entering the room. Ruby and her Clones huffed and returned to their seats.

“Nice comeback,” Melody whispered to the new girl.

“Thanks,” she replied with a grin. “If you have four brothers, you learn to insult or insulted.”

“I’m Lauren by the way.”

“Melody.”

“You new here? I haven’t seen you around here,” Lauren said to Melody.

“I moved here a week ago.”

“Oh,” Lauren said, nodding. “Welcome to Verona Academy.”

“AKA Hell,” Melody replied wryly.

Lauren smiled. “That too.”

In English Melody took her usual seat in the back of the auditorium She was one of the first of the people to enter the auditorium, but to her surprise, sitting next to her was Lauren.

“Hey, Melody,” she said casually.

“Hi, Lauren,” Melody replied, and for once, she didn’t feel so out of place in Verona Academy.

They watched the other English classes fill the auditorium. Eric locked eyes with Melody, smirked at her, and approached. Melody rolled her eyes. Here comes trouble.

“Hey, Mel.” Melody responded by rolling her eyes. At that moment, Eric noticed Laurens sitting next to her.

“Hey, alien.”

“Back at ya’, loser,” Lauren replied. Eric grinned amusedly and turned his attention back to Melody.

“Mel, I see you’ve met my twin-sister.” Melody’s jaw dropped.

“I know, I feel the same way. Seventeen years later, and I still can’t believe it either,” Lauren said to Melody.

“Shut up,” Eric replied, smirking. Melody started to wonder if Verona Academy could possible get any freakier.
Last edited by bluewaterlily on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

108 Reviews

View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Monday, Melody walked into math class. As she took her seat, to her surprise, the usually-empty desk next to her was occupied by a new girl. She had long dark brown that fell past her shoulders, and she wore a flowery dress that looked like it belonged from the 60s. Melody kind of liked her hippie/punk-rock sense of fashion. Ruby walked into class followed by her Clones. She stopped and looked at the new girl like she stepped in gum.

“Hey, E.T.,” Ruby said. Ruby’s Clones laughed. This didn’t faze the girl, though. “Where have you been for the past three weeks? Did the mother ship take you back? Too bad they didn’t keep you.”

Lauren shook her head, as if answering a real question. “No mother ship. Paradise,” she replied. “I was away from you.” Melody laughed. It sounded exactly like something she’d say. Ruby narrowed her eyes and turned to glare at Melody.

Before Melody could respond, the girl replied, “She’s laughing at your face. Come on, Ruby, how do you expect people to take you seriously with fifty pounds of makeup on that thing you call your face? On the bright side, if you’re trying to join the circus, it’s working.” Melody was starting to like this girl! She snickered at the outraged look on Ruby’s face. This was the most interesting that’d happened at Verona Academy.

Ruby rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Like I’m gonna take fashion advice from you freaks.”

“Well I’d rather be a freak than a-” The girl’s sentence was cut short by the teacher entering the room. Ruby and her Clones huffed and returned to their seats.

“Thanks,” she replied with a grin. “If you have four brothers, you learn to insult or insulted.”

“I’m Lauren by the way.”

“Melody.”

In English, Melody took her usual seat in the back of the auditorium She was one of the first of the people to enter the auditorium, but to her surprise, sitting next to her was Lauren.

“Hi, Lauren,” Melody replied, and for once, she didn’t feel so out of place in Verona Academy.

They watched the other English classes fill the auditorium. Eric locked eyes with Melody, smirked at her, and approached. Melody rolled her eyes. Here comes trouble.

“Hey, Mel.” Melody responded by rolling her eyes. At that moment, Eric noticed Laurens sitting next to her.

“Hey, alien.”

“Back at ya’, loser,” Lauren replied. Eric grinned amusedly and turned his attention back to Melody.

“I know, I feel the same way. Seventeen years later, and I still can’t believe it either,” Lauren said to Melody.

“Shut up,” Eric replied, smirking. Melody started to wonder if Verona Academy could possible get any freakier.
Last edited by bluewaterlily on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

108 Reviews

bluewaterlily says...

“I’m Lauren by the way.”

“Melody.”

In English Melody took her usual seat in the back of the auditorium She was one of the first of the people to enter the auditorium, but to her surprise, sitting next to her was Lauren.

“Hey, alien.”

Last edited by bluewaterlily on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

130 Reviews

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:03 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

Eric wasn't all that surprised that Melody and Lauren had found each other already. It was inevitable. The pair of them were just too alike; both outsiders, both independent, and both stubborn as hell... He guessed the only difference was that Lauren was a lot more popular than Melody, being 'Eric Van Holden's' sister and all...

He could still see the look of shock on Melody's face when she found out who Lauren was. Before she could react in words Mrs Bing was already up on stage calling for Romeo and Juliet. Melody was the first to get up. She threw Eric a look before making her way to the stage. Eric watched her go with a shake of his head.

Once Melody was out of earshot, Lauren let out a smirk.

Eric arched an eyebrow. "What?" he asked her.

"So that's the girl that rejected you..." Lauren was practically grinning from ear to ear now. "I'm not surprised..."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he frowned.

"It means that the girls got attitude and spunk, did you really think she was gonna fall for your bad boy charm?"

"Is that right?" Eric mused sarcastically. "Well, seein' as you're such an expert, what would you suggest?"

Lauren answered in a heartbeat. "Kindness."

Eric arched an eyebrow. "'Scuse me?"

"Kindness," Lauren repeated confidently. "All you have to do is be kind to her and she'll be in your arms in no time."

Eric shook his head. If only it were that simple... "She's already seeing someone..."

Lauren visibly deflated. "Really? Who?"

"Jeffery," Eric again resisted the urge to use the word 'asshole' instead. "The guy doesn't even like her like I do, he's only showin' interest because Ruby asked him to..."

"Let me guess, Miss Plastic got jelouse when she realised she had competition?" Lauren rolled her eyes in a half-bored, half-annoyed way. "Did you tell Melody all this?"

"I tried to but she thought I was lying..."

"Okay, but you're not gonna give up though, right?" Lauren asked. When Eric didn't answer her eyes went wide. "Eric!" she pressed. "She's gonna have her heart-broken. You can't let that happen!"

Eric shrugged. "Not my fault she's so stubborn..."
Last edited by *coco on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory