z

Young Writers Society

To Love or Not To Love: A Romeo and Juliet Parody

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:24 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

Kate had sent Eric a message an hour after dinner telling him to meet her downstairs in the parlour. At first he'd wondered whether she'd changed her mind about telling him what was going on in the family, but when he entered the parlour to see the furniture pushed to one side and strange music reverberating around the room, he realised he was in for something else entirely.

“What is that noise?” he asked Kate, who was standing by the vinyl record player.

“That’s not noise, sweetheart. It’s waltz music.”

Eric winced. “I feel like my ears are bleeding.”

“It’s a lot better than the racket you listen to,” Janet commented, walking into room holding a glass of wine.

Eric feigned offence. “The music I listen to is not racket.”

"Then what would you call music about girls, cars and blind?"

"Girls, cars and bling, Janet," Eric corrected.

Just then Lauren rushed into the room. "Have I missed it?"

"Missed what?" Eric frowned.

"No, you haven't," asnwered Kate. "In fact, you're just in time."

"Can someone please tell me what I'm doing here?" Eric asked.

Kate clapped her hands in excitement. "You are here for your first dance lesson."

"Dear Lord."

"Come on, it'll be fine," Kate assured him, grabbing his elbow and manouvering him to the centre of the room. "It might be a long and occasionally frustrating process but with enough practice you'll pick up the steps in no time."

Lauren scoffed. "This is Eric, you're talking about."

"Can it, alien," he glared.

"Lauren, hush, or else you'll have to leave," said Janet, before turning her attention to Eric. "Listen to nothing but the music."

"The music is shi-"

"Shh!" Kate silenced him. Grabbing his right hand, she placed it on her waist.

"What are you doing?" Eric asked.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm putting your hand on my waist."

Eric could feel the tips of his ears turn pink. "Yes, I can see that, but why?"

"This is the position for the Waltz."

"Warts is the worst," he grumbled.

"Waltz," Kate corrected, before taking his other hand in hers. "Now, I will be leading so you need to focus on my movements. If I move backwards you have to move forwards, if I move forwards you have to move backwards. Understand?"

"No," Eric answered honestly.

But Kate appeared not to hear him. "Janet, please play the next song."

The music changed to something louder and more more horrendous. Before Eric could gather himself, his sister-in-law already began the countdown.

"In 3-2-1."

Eric's body then moved without him even knowing it. Kate began slowly, taking a few steps back, but her grip was so firm that Eric moved forwards automatically. They did that for a few seconds, taking a few steps back, then a few steps forward, their feet moving in unison.

"Perfect," Kate smiled. "Now, we're going to move side to side. It's the same principle as before: if I move left, you move right. If I move right, you move left. Got it?"

"Easy," Eric said aloud. He'd managed to go backwards and forwards so far without causing any injuries, this should be just as easy.

Unfortunately, it wasn't.

“No, not my left, you’re left! No Eric, your other left –”

But Kate's words seemed to go in one ear and out the other. Eric's co-ordination was so off, he may as well have been drunk.

Lauren, who'd been standing by the window recording all this on her phone, provided running commentary. “Ladies and gentlemen; my brother the klutz,”

"Lauren," Janet said warningly.

"I'm sorry, but this is just comedy gold-"

"What's going on here?"

The music stopped and all four of them froze to see Marcus standing by the vinyl recorder.

“Would you care to explain why you have your hands on my wife’s waist?” he asked Eric with a stern frown that reminded him of their dad's.

Eric gulped. “I swear to God, Marcus, it was her idea –”

“Relax," Kate smirked, "your brother’s kidding.”

Eric noticed the frown on his older brother relax, and his mouth pulled into a smirk of his own.

"Jeez, Marcus," he said, releasing a breath he hadn’t known he’d been holding. “I thought you were gonna kick my ass.”

“Who says I’m not?” Marcus frowned once again, his smirk disappearing as quickly as it had formed.

Eric swallowed.

“I’m just playing,” he chuckled.

Marcus!

All three of the women in the room laughed along with Marcus, who moved to stand beside Lauren. “Mind if I watch?”

Eric frowned in annoyance. “I already have an audience in case you didn’t notice,” he shot lasers at Janet and Lauren.

“Well, you’re gonna have an even bigger audience when you do the real thing,” Kate pointed out. "Now stop moaning and groaning, and let's get back to work."

Another fifteen minutes passed of Eric being taught to move side to side, and no matter how hard Kate tried, he was no closer to learning it than when they'd first started.

“My God, you’re a klutz,” Marcus marvelled, when they finally decided to call it a day.

The next morning, Eric was enjoying a rare and very peaceful lie in. His head was underneathe his pillow, his sleeping form buried under a heavy quilt and throw. Unfortunately for him it was a Monday.

“Eric!” his step-mom's voice suddenly boomed from behind his door. “Your friends are outside!”

Eric woke with such a start that he fell out of his bed.

“Oof,” he said stupidly, as he met the floor with a loud thud.

“Eric?” came Janet's voice again.

“Yes?” he croaked.

“Did you just fall off the bed?”

“No,” he lied, rubbing his forehead.

Still bleary-eyed from sleep, Eric heaved himself up from the floor and opened his balcony window to see a very angry looking Reese parked outside his driveway.

“Hurry up, E!” he called, horning.

“Alright, chill, let me put a shirt on!” Sighing, he closed the doors and and hurriedly pulled on his uniform, not bothering to do his tie or gel his bed hair. Grabbing his backpack, he headed out of his door, almost bumping into Janet on his way out.

“Eric, please don’t forget your pills!” she said, following him down the corridor.

Eric scoffed. “That’s impossible now that you and Lauren passed over the schedule to my girlfriend.”

“She seems like a lovely girl.” Janet mused out loud as they headed down the stairs. “Am I ever going to get to meet her?”

No, thought Eric as they reached the landing. “I’ll be home late tonight,” he said, artfully changing the subject. “Football practice.”

“Okay, but please remember not to overdo it. Your body still hasn’t recovered yet and if you push it too far too fast, you’ll only cause more damage –”

But Eric was out the door before she could even finish her sentence. Outside, Eric rushed down the steps and headed straight for Reese's car.

“Cheers for making me wait an hour!” his friend barked through his open window.

“It was a minute actually,” Eric corrected.

“Just get in the car!” roared Reese, clearly in quite a foul mood for some reason.

“Jeez, you’re such a drama queen …” Eric huffed, before jumping into the car.
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:46 pm
bluewaterlily says...

After homeroom, Melody headed straight to the auditorium along with the rest of her English class to continue with rehearsals for the Romeo and Juliet production. Melody rushed into the auditorium like she had a pack of wild wolves chasing her, causing Lauren to look up in confusion.

“Hey, Mel. I was looking for you.”

“Hey, Lauren,” Melody said breathlessly.

“Everything okay?”

She nodded. “I was avoiding someone.”

“Who? Don’t tell me it was Ruby or Kelley?” Lauren asked with a scowl.

Melody grimaced. “It’s a long story.”

“I’m all ears.”

“My uncle thinks my boyfriend is a bad influence, so yesterday, he set up a playdate with the one of the most annoying guys ever.”

“Oh my God. That is awful. Please tell me it wasn’t Jeffery-”

Melody snorted. “No, someone almost as bad. Marvin Callore.”

Lauren shuddered, eyes wide with disbelief. “Bowtie?”

Melody nodded. “The one and only.”

“But … why him?”

A mocking smile carved itself on Melody’s lips as her fingers curled into air quotes as she imitated her uncle, “‘But Marvin is a respectable young man.’ That and the fact his parents are social climbers. They’ve made some sort of business proposal with my uncle involving their stupid software. I swear, I think my uncle wants me to marry him.”

Lauren pulled a face, mirroring Melody’s thoughts. “Seriously?”

Melody nodded. “His parents don’t like me, but I think if it meant a merger, then they could live with it.”

“Can you even imagine us together?”

“Not even on The Real Housewives of Verona.”

“Especially not.”

Lauren shook her head and Melody followed her into the costumes and props room for more privacy. They saw Casey waiting by the door. He stood with his legs wide apart, and hands in his pockets, trying to act casual. But up close, Melody could see he was nervously biting his lip and if she didn’t know any better, his cheeks were a pale shade of pink.

Melody stole a glance at Lauren, to find her in a similar state. She and Casey stared at each other awkwardly, and a blush rose to Lauren’s cheeks. She even started combing a hand self-consciously through her hair.

“Hey, Lauren. I uh was gonna ask you something…”

He’s going to ask her to deb ball, Melody thought smugly.

“Yeah?” Lauren asked hopefully.

“Do you…I was wondering if…what I mean is…d’you need help with set design today?”

“Oh.” Lauren’s expression visibly deflated before she gave a bright smile too cheerful to be genuine. “Sure, Casey.”

As they walked into the costume and prop room, Melody let out a frustrated sigh. She shook her head. He was this close, until Eric scared him off.

“Hey, Case?” Bobby called out.

“He’s in the props room,” Melody answered.

Bobby nodded his thanks before going into the room.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

130 Reviews

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:55 pm
*coco says...

Eric and Reese had been asked to practice the scene in the play between Romeo and Friar Tuck, and if Eric had thought that his friend’s earlier mood would improve he was gravely mistaken. Reese had repeatedly stumbled on his lines and instead of laughing it off like they normally did, he chose to rant and rave about it.

“What the hell’s the matter with you, Reese?” Eric growled, having had enough of his friend’s lousy attitude. “Is it your time of the month or something?”

“My bad, alright?” Reese sighed in frustration, throwing his script to the side. “It’s just Eva ...”

He let the sentence hang in the air, prompting Eric to ask the question, “What about her?”

“We got into a fight.”

For a moment, Eric stared at his friend blankly. “Are you telling me … she punched you?”

“What?” Reese scoffed in alarm. “No!” He shot Eric a look of annoyance. “I’m telling you we had an argument.”

“Over what?”

“My car.”

“You’re what?”

My car,” Reese echoed irritably. “Get your damn ears checked -”

“I heard you the first time,” Eric cut in matter-of-factly, “I just didn’t understand what you meant. Why did the two of you get into a fight over your car?”

For a moment, Reese didn’t look like he wanted to answer that particular question. But then, very reluctantly, he did, “She was saying how it wasn’t good enough,” he grumbled. “I dropped her home last night after we hung out an’ her ol’ man saw my ride and she got embarassed …”

“Why you staring at me?”

Because you’re an idiot.

“I just remembered I need to help Bobby with something,” he lied.

Before Reese could question what exactly that ‘something’ was, Eric jogged down the steps of the stage and headed up the aisle to where Bobby stood along with Casey, checking out the props.

“Bobby. Case,” he whispered, throwing a hanger at Casey to get their attention. When the object caught Casey on the shin, he winced.

“Damn it, E, there are easier ways to call me,” he frowned, rubbing the spot.

Eric was too preoccupied to apologise. He locked eyes with the two of them in dead seriousness before pointing towards the costume area. “Get in here. We need to talk.”

Bobby immediately looked over at Casey. “What’ve you done this time?”

“I didn’t do anything -!”

“It’s not Case,” Eric cut in irritably, before pointing towards the costume area once again.

The two of them glanced over at Mrs Bing to make sure she was too busy to notice them disappear, before hurriedly joining Eric in the costume area. Luckily there was a lot of noise around them, people were trying on costumes and the sound of sewing machines at work could be heard from somewhere in the back, so the boys had no chance of being overheard.

“So what’s this about?” asked Bobby curiously. “You find out something about Trent yet?”

Eric shook his head. “No, it’s not about that either. You both spoken to Reese today?”

“Yeah,” nodded Casey, “he’s been a miserable ass for some reason.”

“It’s ‘cause he got into a fight with Eva … about his car!” Eric exclaimed. “Apparently a BMW M3 isn’t good enough for the Eva DiMario’s of this world.”

Bobby rolled his eyes. “Why am I not surprised?”

“I think enough’s enough,” Eric grounded out. “We’ve tolerated her for long enough, it’s time we got rid of her.”

Casey’s eyes widened in sudden horror, “You wanna kill her –?”

“No, Case,” Eric cut in. “I wanna replace her.”

Bobby frowned in confusion. “Replace her how?”

“By finding Reese another girlfriend,” Eric answered simply.

Bobby let out a scoff. “Like that’s gonna happen. I mean I hate Eva just as much as you do, but you’ve gotta admit, she is hot.”

“Like super hot,” agreed Casey.

“Pfft,” Eric dismissed. “We’ll just find someone hotter. Shouldn’t be too hard.”

Somewhere in the distance the sudden sound of Mrs Bing could be heard.

“Where is my Romeo?”
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

108 Reviews

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:23 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Melody watched with a smile as Casey disappeared into the props room, trailing behind Lauren like a lovesick puppy. This was step one in the plan to get him to ask her to the dance. A moment later, Bobby appeared.

“Yo, Case, where are you? I need your help,” he called out.

“He’s backstage with Lauren,” Melody answered.

Bobby nodded his thanks before Casey trailed behind him. Melody watched as they disappeared out the back door and returned a few minutes later hauling the art gallery sized picture frame Melody and Bobby had bought at the mall a few weeks ago.

“What’s this for?” Casey asked.

Bobby pointed to Melody. “It was Mel’s idea. It’s for E’s birthday party.”

Casey stared at him blankly. “I’m never told anything,” he grumbled.

Bobby shook his head and Melody decided to cut through the tension. “Bobby, Lauren, and I were hoping you’d help us plan a party for Eric. We bought this picture frame and we’re going to put together a photo collage and Lauren’s going to decorate it.”

Then slyly, she glanced at the backstage area where Lauren before adding, “I think Lauren could use your help. You in?”

The tips of Casey’s ears turned pink. He scoffed. “Of course I’m in.”

“Great.” Melody smiled as Lauren appeared. “Here she comes.”

Lauren reentered the room, a stack of photos in her hands. She looked up between Bobby and Casey. Her lips quirked into an excited smile. “You got to the picture frame! This is the first time I’ve seen it! Since we have the pictures and the frame, I was thinking we could call off set design for today and work on this.”

Melody’s smile widened. “Perfect. Casey’s going to help.”

Bobby and Casey laid the frame down, and without wasting any time, Lauren spread the pictures out. Casey knelt down beside her and they began conversing. Standing in the back next to Melody, Bobby watched with his arms folded, an amused smile spread across his face.

“What?” Melody asked.

Bobby exchanged a knowing glance with her. “You’re trying to set them up. You know Eric’s not going to like this.”

Melody smirked, hands on her hips as Lauren laughed at something Casey said. “I have a feeling he’ll come around. If not, then I can make him.”

Bobby grinned. “Does it happen to involve your black belt?”

Melody returned the smile, shooting him a sidelong glance. “Maybe.”

They watched in silence as Lauren and Casey rearranged the photos. In the center of the frame was a picture of Eric as a small child, no older than eight. Beside him was a woman that resembled Lauren, with long wavy chestnut locks spilling down her shoulders. She had large blue eyes the color of the sky. Her head was tossed back in laughter and Eric had a wide, unrestrained smile on his face, as if they both shared a secret joke. With a pang, Melody realized it was the happiest she had ever seen him. Surrounding that one picture were a few more pictures of Eric’s mother.

Radiating outward from the center showed pictures of Eric older with his friends. One particular photo caught Melody’s eye. Eric wore a football jersey, his face alight with victory, the confident, roguish smirk plastered on his lip, eyes electric and vivid with life. The only other occasion she’d seen him that happy was the picture of him with his mother, and Melody recalled her lunch date with Eric where he mentioned football was the only time he felt alive. A selfish part of Melody wanted to be the reason he smiled like that in the future.

Lauren caught Melody staring and rolled her eyes but a small smile tugged at her lips.

“That’s Eric’s favorite picture.”

Plucking it from the frame, she offered it to Melody, who stared at her blankly for a moment, yet her hand reached uncertainly for it. Lauren dropped it into her palm.

“Do you want it?” Lauren asked. “We have tons of copies. Eric made sure to that,” she added with an eye roll.

Tucking the picture into her pocket, Melody laughed.

“We’re almost done,” Lauren commented. “But I need a photo to fill in the empty space.”

“Way ahead of you,” Bobby remarked casually.

Melody whipped her neck to face him, watching as he pulled out a photo and handed it to Lauren. When Melody caught a glimpse of it, her cheeks flamed with embarrassment. It was a photo someone snapped when she and Eric were at rehearsals and he had fallen on top of her. A mischievous grin curved his mouth as his lips hovered over hers, and Melody’s eyes were closed in laughter as she smiled.

Lauren smirked at him. “Perfect.” She slid the photo into place. “Now it’s complete.”

“Who took that picture?”

“It was Bobby,” Casey blurted.

Bobby gave him a sidelong glance. “Thanks, Case.”

“Casey, come over here for a second,” Melody called.
Bobby shrugged as Casey shot him a panicked look, his gaze flicking between her and Lauren for safety. Melody waited patiently as Casey reluctantly made his way over to her in the corner of the room. His arms assumed a position of surrender and maybe self-defense as they formed a barrier between Melody and his face.

“I swear I didn’t do it.”

“You’re not in trouble,” Melody assured. “As long as you ask Lauren to the ball.”

Casey’s eyes widened. He shook his head vehemently in protest. “I can’t do that! Eric will kick my ass!”

Melody smiled. “I’ll talk to him about it.”

A skeptical frown pulled his mouth down, causing him to pin her with a dubious expression. “Good luck getting him to listen.”

Melody’s smile shifted into a smirk. “Oh, I can get him to listen. But if he doesn’t, then I’ll just have to kick his ass.”

“Remind me never to get on your bad side,” Casey murmured, staring at her in a mixture of awe and fear.

Snickering, Melody patted him on the shoulder, causing him to flinch. “Just be sure to ask Lauren to the ball. Don’t worry about what Eric will say. Leave that to me.”

Before he could respond, she turned on her heel, taking her place beside Lauren, who was staring between her and Casey questioningly.

“Bobby,” Casey whispered, but still loud enough for the girls to hear, “I think Melody’s going to kick E’s ass.”

He shook his head, spreading his hands in a gesture of defeat and neutrality. “I’m not getting in the middle of this.”

Melody’s reply died on her lips as she heard someone approaching. She shared a panicked look with Lauren, Bobby, and Casey, and in silent understanding, they grabbed a corner of the frame, hauling it to the closet. Melody let a sigh out of relief as she and Lauren leaned against the door.

“Melody,” a nasally voice greeted.

Approaching her was Marvin. He toted a baby sling from which she could see the baby doll’s head peeped out of. Fixed on its head was a headband with an obscenely large bow of plaid colors, and when Melody looked at Marvin’s neck, horror gripped her as she realized, he coordinated his bowtie to match the doll's headband.

Jerking a thumb in Marvin’s direction, Bobby frowned at Melody. “Who’s he?”

Melody sighed. “Marvin Callore.”

Casey squinted, cocking his head to the side in thought, as if remembering an unpleasant memory. “Isn’t that the guy E used to copy off of freshman year? I'm pretty sure he's the same dude E locked in the janitor’s closet.”

Melody pinched the bridge of her nose. As if the timing couldn’t get any worse, she heard Eric’s voice calling, “Bobby, Case, where are you two?”

His eyes landed on Melody and a smirk erupted on his face. “There you are, Mel. I’ve been looking for you all morning. Mrs. Bing's getting impatient.”

Despite what he said, Eric drew her close to him. Looking up at him, Melody noticed his hair, normally pristinely gelled in place with his curls, usually tousled artfuly were a messy mane today. The curls on the back of his head appeared flattened, as if he had been lying down. It was obvious Eric had forgotten to brush his hair this morning.

Melody couldn’t help it. She laughed.

“What?” Eric demanded.

She ignored his question.

“Rough morning?” Melody guessed.

“You could say that,” Eric groused.

Smiling, Melody combed her fingers through Eric’s curls, smoothing down the stray strands that stuck up. As she fixed his bedhead, she heard Lauren, Casey, and Bobby snickering.

“Mel,” Eric whined, stepping away from her, “not in front of my friends and the alien.”

“It’s like they’re already married,” Lauren jibed, earning her a round of laughter from Bobby and Casey.

Eric’s frown deepened. Ignoring them, Melody continued to run her fingers through Eric’s hair, ruffling it until she was satisfied.

“Happy now?” he asked her once she stepped away.

“For now,” Melody smirked, leaning in for a kiss.

But as Eric’s lips were about to meet hers, they were interrupted by the sound of a cough. Eric pulled away in irritation to see Bowtie standing uncomfortably close to Melody’s side. Marvin stared at Eric with disdain.

An awkward silence ensued, and Melody suppressed a groan. Eric was obviously waiting for Marvin to leave. Bowtie didn’t take the hint, whether out of oblivion or stubbornness, Melody couldn’t be sure.

“Do I know you?” Eric finally asked.

Marvin leveled an accusing finger, pointing it in Eric’s face. “You locked me in a closet!”

"I knew it," Casey interjected triumphantly. "Didn't I call it?" he added smugly.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

130 Reviews

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:35 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

Eric eyed the strange creature before him, from the ridiculous bow-tie on his neck to the even more ridiculous sling across his chest. He thought Kelley had taken the whole fake baby thing too far, but apparently he’d thought wrong.

“Listen, Martin -”

“My name is Marvin,” he cut in, the accusing finger of his still pointed firmly at Eric.

“Yeah, E, his name’s Marvin,” chimed in Bobby, clearly trying very hard not to burst out laughing. “You remember him, don’t you?”

“Honestly, I don’t.”

“Oh, you don’t?” Marvin finally lowered his finger to remove the thick-rimmed glasses from his eyes. “Well then let me refresh your memory ...” He then proceeded to breathe into the lenses and wipe them with a handkerchief that matched his bowtie. “It happened two years ago -”

Two years ago?” Eric exclaimed. “I can’t even remember what I did last night.”

“Of course you’re incapable of the basic cognitive function of long term retention of information.” When Eric stared at him blankly, Marvin added condescendingly, “To be able to remember information you’d require a working brain.”

A loud chorus of ‘Ooh’s could be heard and Eric suddenly became very much aware that he’d just been called unintelligent by a guy that dressed in plaid.

To make matters worse, Marvin turned to Melody, staring at her in disbelief and something resembling disappointment. “Melody, what are you doing fraternizing with this imbecile?”

It wasn’t until he’d mentioned Melody that the closet incident finally came back to Eric. A smirk spread across his face as he replayed the memore in his head. Marvin had just tried to embarrass him in front of everyone. Eric was about to return the favour.

“You know what?” he said, tilting his head to one side in mock contemplation. “I do actually remember locking someone in the janitor’s closet. This person had a weird obsession with a certain alien ...” The sides of Marvin’s round cheeks suddenly flushed red. “He’d make origami animals from his handkerchiefs and leave them for her at her desk, he’d ask her out to the science fair and one day posted a letter through her locker promising to name his first robot after her …”

Lauren, who had, until now, been listening to all this in silence, suddenly spoke up. “This sounds so familiar …”

Marvin was artfully avoiding Lauren’s questioning gaze. Instead, his eyes were on Melody. He had one of those origami animals in his hands and he was fiddling with it self-consciously, deforming its former perfect structure. He directed a question towards Melody. “Seriously, him? Wouldn't you prefer someone of a higher intellectual caliber?”

Another stab of anger. Eric swallowed it down like a bitter pill. “You asked me why I locked you in the closet, that’s why. ‘Cause you scared my sister.”

“Oh my God!” Lauren’s eyes widened in shock, but when they met Marvin’s they turned to slits. “It was you?!”

“It was him,” nodded Eric, crossing his arms and throwing Bowtie a look of smugness. “Go on, Callore. Where’s your higher intellectual calibre now?”

Marvin stared between them both indignantly. “I’ve seen the error of my ways.” Ignoring Lauren and Eric, he started refolding his handkerchief into a bird. When he offered it to Melody, Eric almost had to double-take. “Cygnus atratus,” Marvin said.

Everyone stared at him blankly, and he explained, “That is the scientific name of a black swan.” Throwing Eric a condescending look he said, “If you’d passed biology, you would know that.” Eric barely had time to register that insult, before Bowtie focused on Melody again and added, “I chose it because it matches the color of your hair.”

Melody stared at his creation in horrified silence. When Eric glanced over at her, he could see the tips of her ears were pink.

Marvin continued, “I didn’t have the opportunity to give it to you on Sunday.”

Eric almost choked on air. “Sunday?” he asked Melody. “What the hell’s he talkin’ about?”

An awkward silence fell around them. Eric hoped that Melody would be the one to break it, but she was beaten to it. Marvin’s thin lips curled into a smirk.

“You don’t know?” he asked, feigning surprise. “Well, my family and I were invited over at Melody’s house for lunch.”

Eric, who had until then, restrained his emotions, couldn’t help but gape in shock. Sensing the opportunity to further embarrass Eric in front of his friends, Marvin added, “We had a fabulous time. Melody’s aunt and uncle proved to be excellent hosts, and if I didn’t know any better, I’d say that I most definitely won them over.”

“Key word, being them,” Melody emphasized.

Eric hardly registered Marvin’s reply. All he could think about was how he’d barely been allowed to drop Melody home, while that little weasel had been invited for lunch. And not just him, but his parents too. Something didn’t feel right.

“Are you gonna tell me what the hell’s going on?” He aimed the question at Melody. “Or are you gonna let this weasel talk some more sh-”

“Should we leave?” Bobby asked awkwardly.

“Yes, leave.”

Eric didn’t miss the desperate look Melody gave Lauren as they all left. Marvin bit his lip, sending Eric one last glare before his gaze strayed to Melody, focusing on her longer than Eric was comfortable with. Melody balled the fabric up in her hand, making a show of tossing it to the side, causing Marvin’s face to tighten in anger before he finally retreated.

“Eric,” Melody sighed. “It’s not what it looks like.”

“Isn’t it?” he countered. “Because it looks like bowtie and his parents have been getting cosy with your family and instead of telling me about it, I had to hear it from him!” Eric didn’t know what emotion he felt more, annoyance or slight jealousy. Either way, it wasn’t pleasant.

Hurt flickered across her face before Melody placed her hands on her hips, scowling at him. “Are you accusing me of cheating? With him?” Her voice rose a pitch higher in incredulous anger and disgust.

Eric couldn’t help it. He burst out laughing.

Melody glowered.”What’s so funny?”

“I’m sorry, I just pictured him taking you to the science fair and -” The rest of his sentence was drowned out by another round of laughter.

“As if,” Melody scoffed. “Not even if he was the experiment.”

When Eric was finally able to contain himself, he cleared his throat and returned to the subject matter at hand. He needed to remember that he was angry - not jealous, not at all - but quite angry.

“What was he really doing at your place on Sunday?” he asked Melody, his tone now very serious. “And why’d his parents tag along?”

Melody rolled her eyes. “My uncle invited them over. His family is making some business deal with mine. They’re social climbers. While his parents were kissing up to my uncle, I was left alone to ‘get to know’ Marvin.”

Eric listened attentively, but he still didn’t understand. “Why?”

A pink flush crept up the back of Melody’s neck. “My uncle pretty much set me up on a playdate. I think he’s hoping me and Marvin…”

Eric didn’t need Melody to finish that sentence. He finally understood and it left a sinking feeling in his stomach.

“But …” he tried, “Why would they try to set you up when -” he paused to swallow, “... when you already have a boyfriend …?”

Melody sighed, staring at him apologetically. “My uncle is trying to distract me from you because he thinks that you’re a bad influence on me.”

Eric’s eyes widened in horror. “He thinks I’m what?” He felt genuinely insulted. “I … wha ...but ... he doesn’t even know me!”

Melody sighed. “I know. It’s my fault because I’ve had a few detentions, skipped classes, and broken curfew a few times.”

Eric hated to admit it, but she had a point. Since they’d been dating he had pushed Melody into coming out late at night, not to mention the amount of times he’d made her late for class and snuck her out of school. No wonder her uncle thinks I’m a bad influence ...

Eric frowned. This was unacceptable. He would not be outdone by a bowtie wearing nerd. If Melody’s uncle wanted a rule-abiding, curfew-meeting, class-attending boy for his niece, it would be him, not Marvin Callore.

“That’s it,” he ground out, a look of determination on his face. “From now on I’m gonna personally make sure you get to each and everyone of your classes on time. No more making out in the hallway or outside. And most importantly,” he added with a stern finger, “no more late night trips.”

Melody rolled her eyes. “But it’s the only time we see each other outside of school,”

“Oh, I’m still taking you out,” he assured her, “I’m just gonna make sure it’s somewhere local and that I bring you back an hour before curfew.”

“An hour?” Melody repeated in disbelief. “But that doesn’t even gives us enough time to speak to each other. And we barely see each other outside of school as it is.”

Eric knew this of course, but sacrifices had to be made if he was to get into Melody’s uncle’s good books.

“An hour gives us leeway in case of any traffic or emergency,” he tried to explain. “And we can talk as much as you want in the car … on the way home.”

Melody couldn’t argue with that simple logic. “I guess you’re right,” she admitted reluctantly.

Eric nodded in satisfaction. “Of course I’m right. I’m always right.”

Melody crossed her arms over her chest. “If we’re shaking things up, Casanova, how about I take you out for a change?”

Eric’s previous look of determined seriousness morphed into confusion. “Girls don’t take guys out.” Melody might as well have asked to drive him to school.

She rolled her eyes. “This is the 21st century, Eric. It can happen, you know. There are some girls out there that are actually proposing to their boyfriends.”

Eric felt genuinely appalled. “No way.”

“Yes way,” she retorted. “Now, you’ve come up with your new rules, so here are mine. Rule number one: I get to take you out once every week.”

“Absolutely not,” Eric ground out stubbornly.

Melody grit her teeth. “Fine, every two weeks.”

“Make it a month.”

“Every two weeks,” Melody repeated. “Rule number two-”

“I think one rule is enough,” he cut in.

Melody artfully ignored him. “On those occasions, I get to drive -”

Eric shook his head before she could even finish. “That is where I gotta draw the line,” he told her. “I don’t do shotgun.”

But Melody still wouldn’t budge. “You will do shotgun, once every two weeks.”

Before Eric could protest, Melody gave him a peck on the cheek, smiling smugly as she said, “So I’ll see you at five.” But it wasn’t a question.

108 Reviews

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:45 am
bluewaterlily says...

Melody showed up in an, old pickup truck that was in desperate need of a paint job.

“What …” he spluttered, eyes wide in horror as he took in Melody’s vehicle, “... is this?”

“It’s a 1998 Toyota Tacoma.”

Eric’s look of horror only intensified. “Are you being punished for something?”

Melody rolled her eyes. “It’s not that bad. Honestly, Eric. Haven’t you ever seen a Toyota before?”

“Not really,” he answered honestly. “The cars I usually come across are a lot more …” He let the sentence hang, clearly not wanting to insult her.

“Expensive?” she offered with a wry smile. “Believe it or not, I actually choose to drive this. It was my dad’s,” she added more softly.

Instantly Melody saw a flicker of shame pass across his face. “I’m sorry, Mel, I didn’t …” He swallowed awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. “I didn’t mean to …”

Melody gave him a small understanding smile. “It’s fine, Eric. My aunt and uncle offered to buy me a new car, but I just can’t bring myself to. This is all I have left of my dad, and it would feel…I guess it would feel like I was betraying him if I got a new car. Plus,” she added, trying to lighten up the tense atmosphere, “It burns my aunt up to see me driving around in this because it embarrasses her for me to be seen in something so,” she paused dramatically, a look of mock horror on her face, “middle class. So there’s that at least.”

“There’s nothing wrong with being middle class,” Eric pointed out, clearly attempting damage control for his earlier comment. “My sister-in-law is middle class.”

Melody looked up in surprise. “Was that hard for your family to accept?”

Visibly happy by the change of subject, Eric elaborated, “It was hard at first, especially for my ol’ man. Believe it or not, he wanted my brother to marry Ruby’s older sister instead. It was almost a done deal, until my sister-in-law showed up.”

Melody scowled. “There’s two of them?”

“Yup,” he nodded. “And if you think Ruby’s bad, let me tell you, her sister is on a whole ‘nother level.”

“Did she date your brother?”

Eric threw her what Melody felt was an apologetic look. “Yeah, he did, like me …”

“You dated Ruby’s older sister!”

“No, no!” he quickly corrected her, his cheeks turning pink. “I meant to say he dated Ruby’s older sister and I dated Ruby …”

“How long did you date her?” Melody asked, trying for an air of casualty.

Eric threw her a look. “Mel -”

“It’s a simple question,” she said.

“I know that, it’s just … I wouldn’t exactly call what we did ‘dating,’ …”

“Then what would you call it?” she asked in a bright tone.

“I …” He looked around for a reason to change the subject. “We should get going. You have a curfew to meet, remember?”

I break curfew all the time. What’s the big deal if it happens one more time?”

“The big deal is my reputation is on the line this time,”

Melody sighed. “You shouldn’t pay attention to what I told you about my uncle. He just hasn’t had the chance to meet you yet.”

“He won’t ever wanna meet me if he thinks I’m a bad influence on you,” he pointed out.

She nodded reluctantly, acknowledging the simple truth. She couldn’t help but smile as she thought about how the tables turned. When had Eric become the responsible one in their relationship?

“So, where are we going?” Eric asked, finally settling into the car and closing the door shut. “And before you say it, I don’t like surprises.”

Melody laughed. “Ever been to a carnival?”

“I think I had a nightmare about one once,” he joked. “You’re taking me to one, aren’t you?”

Smiling, she replied, “I am. For one night, you get to see what it’s like to being middle class.”

“Can’t I just ask my sister-in-law to tell me about it?” He was kidding of course.

Melody smirked, shaking her head as she pulled out. “Not this time, rich boy.”

“Hey,” he protested with mock indignance. “I am not a rich boy.”

“I’m sorry. Rich heir. Better?”

“I prefer Handsome Rich heir. Just saying.”

The sun was setting and glinted off the windows, producing a harsh glare. Eric pulled down the car visor to block some of the sun rays coming through the windshield, when he noticed something interesting clipped to the visor. He realized it was the photo taken of him when he won his first championship.

“Mel … where did you get this?” he asked her, visibly surprised.

Her eyes flashed to his sheepishly. “Lauren gave it to me.”

“Did she tell you that it’s my favourite picture?” he smirked.

Melody returned the smirk. “She did. She also mentioned you have a ton of copies of it.”

“I do,” he nodded. “I like to scatter them about the house.”

“Why doesn’t that surprise me?”

He chuckled in amusement. “That picture was taken when I won my first championship. I was the youngest quarterback in the state at the time, and I scored the winning touchdown. It was one of the best days of my life.”

Melody smiled. “I’ll bet it was. You mentioned a first championship? So there were more?”

“I’ve won a few more since then, because, let’s face it, I am that awesome and so is my team …” He threw her that infamous smug smirk of his, “but the first one always means more, if you know what I mean.”

Melody thought back to her karate tournaments and how excited the first time she had won made her feel. Even after she had more victories and even trophies to show for it, nothing compared to that first time feeling. “I think I do,” she smirked.

“So,” he said, turning to face her with an inquisitive look. “What’s my picture doing in your visor anyway?”

Melody instantly blushed. “Well you know how I was in that car accident with my parents..so driving still makes me nervous. But, I got the idea that if I had your picture in my car, then...it would make me feel safer. Like a good luck charm, you know?”

Eric stared at her, completely gobsmacked. The tips of his ears turned pink and he seemed to swallow with difficulty.

“Pretty crazy right?” she added with a breathless laugh.

“I … uh …,” he cleared his throat and shut the visor. “I’m not much of a good luck charm, Mel. I got into a car wreck myself, remember?”

She sighed, nodding at the unpleasant memories. “One that never would have happened if I hadn’t gone to the concert with you.”

“Hey,” he cut in, throwing her a stern look. “Who bought you the tickets?” He didn’t wait for her to reply. “Speaking of which …” He paused to jab at her radio. “Please tell me you have something other than rock music.”

She frowned. “Hey, it’s not that bad.” But as she said it, she switched to the rap station. “Happy now?”

“Very,” he smirked, turning up the volume before settling comfortably in his seat. “I love this song. Just ignore the cursing.”

“Will the cursing drown out the sexist message?”

Eric threw her a knowing smirk. “Ignore that too.”

But as the song played on, Melody’s eyebrows rose and she looked to him in question when the chorus played, every other word so vulgar and derogatory, that Melody found every inch of herself blushing.

She gave him a pointed look. “This is what I am talking about. ‘My hobby’s her body’? And as for what comes after...I don’t think that is anatomically possible or safe.”

“Well …” Eric looked like he was fighting hard not to laugh. “You’d be surprised.”

She shot him a dubious look. “Up until a few months ago, I spent my whole life in public school, so not really. Though I bet your step-mom would be surprised.”
“She calls it ‘devil’s music.’”

Melody smirked. “Funny. That’s what my aunt calls rock music.”

“Well, if she ever asks what I like to listen to, feel free to tell her I listen to country. Can’t go wrong with that,” he winked.

“You can if it’s Taylor Swift.”

Eric appeared confused. “What’s a Taylor Shift?”

“A really annoying singer that all your exes probably listen to?” Melody suggested.

He shrugged. “I never really asked any of my exes what they liked to listen to.”

Melody smirked. “I bet if I were to change the station, there would be a Taylor Swift song playing.”

“She’s that popular?” he asked.

Nodding, Melody rolled her eyes. “Yes. She’s like the Rubys and Kelleys of the world. Everywhere, unfortunately.”

Eric smirked with a shake of his head. “In that case, I think I’ll pass.”

“That makes two of us,” Melody replied as she eased on the brake, stopping at a yellow light that turned red. Ahead of them was what seemed like an endless string of cars.

“Well looks like we’ll be here a while.”

“Yeah, it does,” he nodded with a small frown. He looked down at his watch and then back up at the traffic before them. “Let’s hope this doesn’t last too long.”

“You know,” Melody stalled, uncharacteristically coy. “We never had a kiss today and we’re just sitting here...“

But Eric appeared not to have heard her. He was too busy craning his neck to better see the traffic ahead. “D’you think it’ll be this bad on the way back?” he asked, biting his bottom lip with a concerned frown.

Melody shrugged. “Don’t worry about that now.”

“I gotta worry about it now. I need to get you back home before your curfew, remember?” His eyes were still very much focused on the traffic before them. Melody was shocked. In the brief time they’d been dating, Eric had never turned down the opportunity for a kiss, whether quick or long, he would take it and be the first to initiate it.

She stared at him in disbelief. “Since when do you ever turn down the opportunity for a kiss?”

“I really can’t think about kissing right now,” he said. With that, he leaned across and pressed the horn for a long while as if that would make a difference.

“Then what do you have time for?”

“I’ll tell you what I don’t have time for,” he grumbled, before rolling down his window and sticking his head out. “Stupid drivers!” He shouted, aiming his anger specifically at the driver in front of them who had cut off Melody.

“That isn’t going to change anything,” Melody pointed out.

“I know that,” he retorted, still glaring at the driver in front of them. Melody noticed the driver in question looking at them nervously through his rear-view mirror. Eric glared back at him.

Rolling her eyes, Melody tried to distract Eric. She leaned forward, craning her neck so she could kiss him. But he stared at her blankly, leaving her hanging.

“What are you doing?” he asked. “We don’t have time.”

Melody glared at him, folding her arms. “Fine. Let’s see how long you can last.”

Eric threw her a puzzled look. “What do you mean?”

“I bet you can’t make it through the night without at least one kiss.”

“Melody Grey,” he smirked, raising a brow, “is that a challenge?”

“No,” Melody replied unfazed. “It’s a fact.”

“Such confidence.” He paused and his smirk widened. “So this bet … what happens when you lose?”

Melody deflected his smirk. “When you lose, you’ll have to do whatever I say for a whole day.”

“Mel,” he chuckled, a mischievous glint in his eye, “when you lose, do you really think it’s a good idea to give me that kinda power over you?”

“Did I ever mention how cute your confidence is? But you’re still going to lose.”

“We’ll see about that.” He put out his hand for her to shake.

Melody took his hand, giving it a firm shake before offering him a smug smile. “You’re on, Casanova.”

130 Reviews

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:19 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

By the time the traffic had finally cleared, the sky had darkened. Eric and Melody arrived at Verona’s annual winter carnival to find crowds of people already gathered outside the gates.

Eric looked around at the familiar surroundings before him; the bright lights, the giant castle ice sculpture and the rides - and felt a sense of bitterness creep in. He remembered being forced to come to this place every year with his brothers whenever they’d get too difficult to handle at home. Their old man would send them off with one or more of his dull assistants while he'd bury himself in his work.

Shaking the memory from his head, he turned to look at Melody. “Okay, the time is now half 7, so we have exactly …” he peered down at hi watch, “two hours before we need to head back.”

"Two hours?" she echoed. "That's not enough time at all."

"Sure it is," he countered.

Once the gates to the carnival were finally opened, Eric and Melody entered with the rest of the crowd.

“Look, snow sculpting!” Melody exclaimed, pointing eagerly.

Eric eyed the grown men shaping humans and cartoon characters from snow. “Am I supposed to be excited?”

Melody rolled her eyes. "Come on, Casanova, live a little."

"I've never been a carnival person," he excalimed.

"Is it really because of that?" she asked, giving him a knowing look. "You had football practice today, how did that go?"

“Well, Coach Clancy still has me on second-string, so how do you think it was?”

She let out a sympathetic sigh, before her eyes darted in the direction of the game stalls.

“You know," she began airily, "I’ve always wanted a cliché moment where my boyfriend wins me a prize at one of these games …”

Eric quirked an amused brow, “Yeah?”

She nodded with a smirk. “You up for it?”

He shrugged noncholantly. He supposed it was something to take his mind off the truly lousy training session he'd had that afternoon. And so, he allowed Melody to lead him towards the Tin Can Alley.

The guy behind the stall was an awkwardly lanky boy who yawned in boredom/

“Three balls mean three chances to knock down the entire stack of tins,” he recited drily, when Eric and Melody approached. He handed Eric the first ball. “Good luck.”

Eric scoffed. “I can do this with my eyes closed.”

And he did just that. With both eyes closed and complete confidence, he threw the ball at the stacked tins. When he didn't hear the sound of the tins falling, his eyes snapped open and he realised, to his horror, that he'd missed!

“Okay, maybe with one eye closed,” he said, trying again.

And missing again.

“Son of a –”

Melody cleared her throat pointedly and looked over his shoulder. Eric followed her gaze to see a whole mob of kids are crowding around to watch.

Eric turned his attention back to the stall guy. “Did you rig this thing?” he asked accusingly.

“There’s nothing wrong with the game. Maybe you’re just a lousy shot.”

“I play football for Verona High,” he pointed out.

“Sure, kid, and I’m the Queen of England.”

Eric glowered at him before picking up the third and final ball. I’ll show you, asshole.

With that, he aimed one last time in the direction of the tin cans and finally it hit the target bringing them tumbling to the ground. The kids behind him cheered and the stall guy rolled his eyes before handing Melody a stuffed toy of a baby giraffe.

He then looked over his shoulder, "Next!"

"Actually, I'm not done."

Melody threw him a quizzical look as Eric slid ten dollars towards the stall guy.

"What are you doing?" she whispered.

"I wanna make this guy cry," he whispered back.

And for the next five minutes, just to spite the rude stall guy, Eric proceeded to hit every shot on target, winning toy, after toy, after toy, until there was almost nothing left. He made sure every kid watching him got a stuffed animal and when he was finally done, he made sure to get the last word over the stall guy.

“How’s that for a lousy shot?” he retorted, before taking the biggest of the stuffed animals for Rose.

With the giant, stuffed unicorn under his arm, he and Melody finally walked way from the stand.

“You want me to hold that for you, Casanova?” she asked with a smirk. “Wouldn’t want to ruin your reputation now, would we?”

“Good point,” he smirked back before handing her the stuffed animal. “So where to now?” he asked.

“How about the Ferris wheel?”

Eric stopped. The last time he'd been on a Ferris wheel was when he was six years-old. Up until then, he’d been afraid of heights and River had decided to take it upon himself to help Eric conquer that fear by forcing him onto a ferris wheel like the one in front of them. Eric remembered crying so much he'd almost passed out.

Clearly sensing his hesitation, Melody quickly added, “We don’t have to get on it if you don’t want to.”

Eric mentally scolded himself. Act cool. “It's fine. I'll be fine.”

“You sure?” she asked him, giving him a dubious look.

He answered by taking her hand in his and leading her towards the small line of people waiting to get on. Pretty soon, it was their turn and Melody slid into the seat while Eric followed. The grubby man operating the ride slammed the safety bar in place and Eric felt his stomach lurch as a lever was pulled and their carriage rose to load the next people below .

Eric shot the operator a warning look. “If we die on this, I’m suing you.”

The man stared blankly at him. “Can’t sue me if you’re dead," he pointed out.

Eric glowered. “I might be dead but don’t think you won't hear from my family.” But by time he’d finished his sentence, their carriage was already too far up. Eric’s body automatically stiffened as he felt their carriage rise higher and higher into the air. Reminding himself that he wasn’t six anymore and that he wasn’t sharing the carriage with his annoying older brother, Eric tried to appear calm.

But Melody was able to see through it. “Eric, you okay? You’re gripping the bar pretty tight.”

His eyes dropped to where his hands were and quickly let go. “I’m fine,” he croaked. Clearing his throat, he repeated himself. “I’m fine.”

“Liar. Why didn’t you tell me you were afraid of heights?”

Eric felt the back of his neck burn in embarrassment. But instead of confessing, he went staright to denial-mode. “I’m not afraid of heights.”

“It’s nothing to be embarrassed about,” she assured him.

“I’m not embarrassed,” he grumbled, crossing his arms defensively.

“Sure you’re not,” she replied, gently taking his elbow and straightening his arm so she could interlace her fingers with his.

Eric couldn’t help the feeling of calm that surged over him as he felt the warmth of her touch.

“Better?” she smirked, nestling closer to him.

They were almost at the peak of the ride now, and as Eric’s eyes settled on Melody huddled against him, he suddenly felt a strange new feeling erupt from inside his chest. It was an unfamiliar feeling, one that he couldn’t name ...

“What?” Melody asked self-consciously, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Nothing,” he lied. “I just really wanna kiss you right now.” That, of course, wasn't a lie.

She smirked. “Then why don’t you?”

He let out a sigh. “That would mean I’d lose the bet.”

“It’d be worth it, though.”

“Yeah, it would,” he admitted, “but I’m still not gonna do it.”

Melody gaped at him. “Who are you, and what have you done with my boyfriend?”

Eric chuckled in genuine amusement. “Come on, Mel, you know I never back down from a challenge.”

“I do,” she replied, “but I also know how impulsive you are.”

“Impulsive?” he echoed in mock-insult. “Me?”

“Don’t act surprised, Casanova. You’re probably the poster child for impulsiveness.”

“If I’m the poster child for anything it’s ultimate confidence,” he corrected.

“Well, if you’re as confident as you say you are, then you wouldn’t have a problem losing a simple bet,” she pointed out.

“True,” he nodded, “but then that would mean I’d have to survive a whole day with you telling me what to do, and I can't have that.”

She smirked. “Why? Am I that hard to keep up with?”

“No, but I can imagine some of the things you’d force me to do.”

“Oh?” she asked, quirking a challenging brow as a grin tugged at her lips. “Like what?”

“I don’t know, but that grin on your face is giving it away.”

She shoved him playfully. “Come on, just because my grin isn’t as cute as yours, that doesn’t mean it’s hiding an agenda.”

Eric was sure his cheeks were blushing at that comment. For some reason he didn’t have a cocky response to her compliment this time.

“What's the matter?" she smirked. "Cat got your tongue?”

“No,” he quickly retorted. “I’m just …” he cleared his throat and absently bit his bottom lip.

Melody smiled smugly. “You were just ...?”

Eric shook his head, “Nothing.”

Melody offered a lazy, indulgent smile. “You know, I forgot to mention how nice you look in that shirt today. It really brings out the color of your eyes ...”

Eric almost choked on air. “The colour of my -” He paused, staring at the un-Melody like glint in her eyes. “Is this …? Are you trying to seduce me?”

“Is it working?” she asked.

“Maybe - I mean, no,” he quickly corrected himself. “You see this face?” he said, pointing at it, “this is the face of a winner.”

“Not for long.”

“Trust me. You could compliment me over my amazing hair and I still wouldn’t bat an eyelid …”

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.” But even as she said this, she leaned forward, carefully running her hands through his hair, tousling his curls.

Now it was Eric's turn to gape. “What are you doing?”

“Oh, you know ... just playing with your hair. It’s okay; you can admit you love it.”

Eric tried to ignore it, the calming feel of her touch. “Or you can admit you love it,” he said, deflecting her efforts to break him.

“Clearly not as much as you do.”

There was a very knowing smile on her face and in spite of himself, he smiled. “You’re enjoying this, aren’t you? Torturing me ...”

“You can always end it.”

Eric shook his head. “Winner,” he reminded her.

But Melody wasn’t paying attention. At that moment a loud bang followed quickly by an explosion of light burst across the night sky in a flurry of colorful sparks. He turned to Melody just in time to see the look of pure wonder and joy igniting her face. A soft smile settled on her lips. It was her rarest smile, one taht he'd only seen a few times. Once again he felt a strange stirring sensation inside his chest, mixed with the desire to see that kind of smile appear again. More than that, he wanted to be the reason she smiled that way.

“I love fireworks but haven’t seen them in years,” she confessed. “I’ve never seen any as pretty these though..”

Eric watched her continue to stare up at the sky in awe and found himself recalling their bet. He wanted to kiss her, badly, but his head was telling him not to ...

Screw it. Before he could think twice, he cupped the side of Melody's face and pulled her close to seal their lips. His mouth latched onto hers firmly with no intention of letting go. He could feel Melody stiffen in surprise, but he still held on greedily. As far as he was concerned he’d already lost the bet, he might as well make the most of it. Besides, it had been far too long since he’d last kissed her.

“Whoa,” Melody breathed when he finally pulled away.

Eric quirked a brow, suddenly aware that he may have gotten a little too carried away. “Is that a good whoa, or a bad whoa?”

Melody smiled sheepishly, a blush painting her cheeks a faint pink. “Good whoa.”

“Oh,” he smirked, confidence rushing back. “Well, in that case -”

“Ride’s over, love-birds.”

Both Eric and Melody looked around, startled, before realising the ferris wheel ride was now over.

“That was fast,” he blurted out.

“Well, you know what they say,” said the operator, “time flies when you’re having fun.” He threw them both a knowing smirk, before releasing their carriage and moving on to the next.

Once they stepped off, Eric felt the familiar rumble in his stomach.

“I’m hungry,” he said, leading Melody to the snack booth.

“You’re always hungry,” she pointed out.

He shrugged. “What can I say? It’s a lot of hard work being this handsome.” He threw her a smirk before turning around to order a bucket of popcorn for them to share.

Suddenly Melody grabbed a piece of popcorn and aimed it at Eric’s mouth.

He stared at her in confusion. “Now what are you doing?”

“Practising my aim,” she smirked. “Come on, open up.”

For a moment, Eric just stared at her blankly. He’d never seen this side of her before, so happy and carefree, so … normal.

He decided to play along. “If you can get more than eight in, I’ll buy you one chocolate every day for the rest of the week." He saw her face brighten, knowing exactly how much she loved chocolate.

Getting into position, he smirked. “Ready?”

She flashed him a smug grin. “Ready.”

She tossed a few pieces of popcorn into the air, which he snapped up. She aimed her fourth piece straight at his mouth but missed by a few inches as it fell to the ground.

“Hey, I get three strikes,” Melody protested before he could say anything.

Eric held his hands up in mock surrender. “Please, continue.”

“Gladly.”

“Just remember to get it in my mouth this time,” he mocked teasingly.

She shot him a frown. “We can’t all be star quarterbacks.”

“Believe me, I know. We’re a rare breed.”

“And thank God for that.” But her lips turned upwards as she lifted another piece of popcorn and tossing it carefully. It landed perfectly in Eric’s mouth.

“Halfway to victory,” she smirked.

“Let’s aim for the other half.”

“Shouldn’t be too hard.”

She flung several more pieces, only striking out one more time. The last piece found its way into Eric’s mouth.

“And she scores!”

“Don’t sound so surprised.”

Eric approached her with a smirk. “I’m not surprised; I’m impressed.”

“As you should be.”

His smirk widened as he took her waist and pulled her close. Before he could lean in for another kiss, the sound of two long beeps interrupted them. It took Eric a moment to realise it was the sound of the alarm he’d set on his phone to signal the time for them to leave.

His eyes darted to the time before looking up at Melody. “We gotta go, I’m afraid.”

Melody’s brows raised in a mixture of surprise and annoyance. “You set an alarm for my curfew?”

“It’s what my step-mom would call taking ‘an extra precautionary measure …’” he explained, taking her hand in his and leading her towards the exit.

“But if we go now, we’ll miss the night parade,” Melody protested.

“I’d rather miss that then your curfew. Now let’s go.”

But Melody was pulling him away from the exit. “Come on, Eric, thirty more minutes.”

“No way,” he grounded out. “I need to get you back before traffic kicks up again.”

“Fine. Fifteen more minutes.”

Eric shot her a frustrated look. “Come on, Mel, I haven’t got time for this.” He gripped her hand more firmly in his and once again tried to lead her out the exit.

She still had to push him though. “Ten more minutes.”

Eric shook his head. “Melody Grey, if you don’t walk out those gates right now, you’re not gonna like what happens.”

She quirked a dubious brow at him, but didn’t move. Eric stared at her blankly for a moment, well aware that time was ticking.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

With that, he hoisted her up and slung her over his shoulder, causing her to yelp in surprise.

“Eric? Er … ERIC! OH MY GOD! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!”

People stared after them as he carried Melody out despite her protests. “It’s cool; she’s my girlfriend,” he explained to anyone who listened, while keeping a firm hold over Melody’s waist. “Nothing to see, here …”

Melody glared at him furiously when he finally set her down, but Eric ignored her.

“You want me to help you get into the car and put your seatbelt on for you, too?” he jibed, slightly annoyed by her lack of cooperation.

“I can’t believe you,” she retorted, slipping into the driver’s seat and making a show of slamming the door.

“I can’t believe you,” he fired back, slamming his own door.

“Me?” she laughed incredulously. “I’m not the one who staged a kidnapping.”

Eric scoffed. “A bit over dramatic, don’t you think? Besides, I wouldn’t have had to resort to it if you would’ve just listened to me in the first place.”

“Well, then treat me like your girlfriend and not your ten year old little sister.”

He ignored her comment. “You know, if you’re too angry to drive, I can do it.”

“There you go again.”

Eric’s frown deepened. “What’d I say?”

“This is my car,” she reminded him. “I’m perfectly capable of driving it myself.”

“I know that,” he retorted. “Is it a crime to offer?”

“No, but I’m pretty sure there is some rule against treating your girlfriend like a child. If not, there really should be.”

Eric felt a small stab of anger. “In that case there should probably be a rule against girlfriends acting like children.”

“In that case,” she parroted, “there should be a rule against boyfriends making stupid rules up.”

Eric quirked a brow in her direction. “Really? That’s your comeback?” He couldn’t help but laugh. “You know, Mel, I don’t know if I’ve ever told you this, but you’re quite attractive when you're angry ...”

“You mentioned it once or twice.”

“Don’t pretend you don’t like hearing it.”

She sighed tiredly. “Sometimes you’re so ... so infuriating. Has anyone ever told you that?”

“At least one person every week,” he said. “A statistic I’m quite proud of, actually ...”

Despite herself, Melody laughed and just like that, the earlier tension lifted.

“Hey, Mel?”

“Yeah, Casanova?” She met his gaze briefly.

“I had fun today. Thanks for making me do this.”

She offered him one of those soft, rare smiles that made his stomach back-flip. “I’m glad. I had fun too, especially after winning that bet.”

The smile instantly disappeared as he the consequences of losing set in. “You know that you cheated, right? I never even stood a chance.”

She smirked. “How’s it my fault you can’t resist me?”

“I’m a guy!” he protested. “I can’t help it and you knew it, so you took advantage!”

“That’s not true. Though you held up longer than I thought you would.”

“So the whole calling me cute and commenting about my eyes and touching my hair had nothing to do with you trying to tempt me?” he asked her.

Melody laughed, avoiding the question. “It’s not too hard.”

Eric hated losing, but on this occasion, even he had to admit it had been worth it. He recalled the kiss back at the ferris wheel and honestly couldn’t remember the last time he’d kissed a girl like that. The thought caused a small tingle at the back of his neck and he absently rubbed it.

“I suppose you’re already thinking of what to make me do tomorrow?” he asked, changing the subject.

“I have a few ideas in mind,” she quipped.

“Care to elaborate?” he asked, though he already guessed the answer.

Smiling wider, she shook her head. “Nice try, though.”

108 Reviews

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:53 pm
bluewaterlily says...

“So, I’m thinking of buying a new car.”

Melody’s head snapped up in shock as Eric derailed her train of thoughts. Considering the accident and the dents and scratches his Range Rover had, it made sense. Her mind conjured images of the truck colliding with his car, glass exploding around him, his body slamming into the airbag… Melody stole a glance at Eric just to make sure he was still there. She drew a shaky breath in, pushing the image to the back of her mind.

Quietly she asked, “What kind?”

“Well, Reese’ dad just got him a BMW M3 an’ he can’t stop bragging about it,” Eric continued. “I wanna get something better just to shut him up. Problem is I know for a fact my ol’ man’s not gonna give me a cent.”

Melody’s eyebrows lifted in surprise. “Why not?”

Eric shrugged. “He’s a big believer in the whole ‘if you want something, get it yourself’ mentality.”

“So what did you have to do to get it ?” Melody asked.

“I had to work for it,” he answered. “I put in hours at my family’s business every day after school, and worked for my step-mom for a while. I even ran errands for my brothers.”

“Well I guess it was worth it,” Melody said with a small smile.

“Yeah, it was,” he smirked back proudly. “That baby’s been with me through some pretty awesome times. Did I ever tell you about when the boys an’ I drove to Hamlet High? It was right before our big game. We showed up at one in the morning, broke into the school and graffitied their entire corridor.”

“I wonder whose idea that was.”

Eric turned his head to smirk at her. “There’s only one genius that could come up with something like that.”

Melody gave a mock nod . “It was Casey, wasn’t it?”

Eric looked confused. “What? No. I meant me, Mel.”

She shook her head, smiling. It was endearing when her sarcasm was lost on him. “I was kidding, I knew it was you. You know, speaking of Casey, he still doesn’t have a date for the deb ball yet. And neither does Lauren...”

Eric shifted slightly in his seat and cleared his throat a little. “Really, I had no idea …”

Melody quirked a brow. “Is that why you scared him from asking her at auditions last week?”

“I didn’t scare him,” he scoffed, before jabbing a button with his finger. Rock music blared around the sound system. “Let’s listen to some music.”

Melody switched the stereo off. “Let’s not. “

Eric jabbed another button with his finger. “Radio, then.”

Melody threw him an unimpressed glower, leaning forward again to turn the radio off.

“Tough crowd,” she heard him mutter.

“Casey was this close to asking her, before you had to come in and ruin it.”

“Pfft,” Eric dismissed, his demeanor turning slightly defensive. “He wouldn’t dare.”

“Maybe he would’ve if you hadn’t scared him off.”

“For the last time, I did not scare him off. I just … redirected his thoughts with my very expressive eyes.”

“Well I guess someone is going to have ‘redirect’ his thoughts back so he can finally ask Lauren to the dance.”

Eric actually turned his head to look at her, a look of complete bafflement on his face. “And why would I do that?”

Melody smiled triumphantly. “You wouldn’t. I would.”

Eric stared at her for a moment, then his eyes darted to the road, then back at her again. He looked uncomfortable and slightly nervous. “What?”

“They’re going to the dance. Together,” Melody added firmly. “This is not even close to being over.”

“And why do you get to decide that?” He frowned.

“Come on, Eric. They like each other and I know both of them want to go to the dance. Together. What’s there left to decide?”

Eric shook his head dismissively. “It’s just a crush, nothing more.”

“So what if it is?” Melody challenged. “How do you know it won’t turn into something more? This,” she said, gesturing between them, “started out as a crush. Does that mean it’s nothing more?”

“Wha-?” His frown deepened. “I didn’t say that. You’re twisting my words.”

Melody sighed, raking a hand through her hair and trying to figure out how to dig herself out of this pit, or at least not dig herself into a grave. She opted for silence. After a few minutes, the quiet festered between them like an open wound.

Eric released a frustrated sigh as they stopped in front of some traffic lights. “Look, Mel,” he said reluctantly, “she’s my sister an’ he’s one of my childhood friends. I don’t want anything to “... complicate things.” There was a pause. “That’s not me being mean. It’s me lookin’ out for them.”

Melody looked at Eric, noticing the outline of his clenched jaw. She felt a stab of guilt, knowing she had to make things right with him while still standing her ground. As gently as possible she said, “I know she’s your sister, but you have to start letting her decide things for herself.”

Eric stared hard at the traffic light ahead as if hoping that would drown out the truth in her voice, or that it would drown out her voice altogether.

“You know I’m right,” she added. Then to drive her point home, she threw in a question that she knew would reel him in. “Don’t you want her to be happy?”

That comment caused him to snap his eyes from the road to her. His frown returned but this time he looked visibly irritated by her insinuation. “Of course I do, she’s my sister.”

“Then give them their chance.”

He stared at her for a while. “Why are you pushing me so hard on this?”

“Well, I want her to be happy, too. Bobby told me that he made you promise him to leave me alone at first. And you didn’t listen, but it turned out pretty well. Who’s to say the same won’t happen with Lauren and Casey?”

“Bobby has a big mouth,” Eric grumbled, though his defensive stance visibly relaxed a little.

Melody smiled smugly. “He told me some pretty interesting things, actually. Like that the two of us are your conscience.”

He scoffed, unimpressed. “Did he tell you I’m scared of clowns, too?”

Melody stared at him in surprise. “No.”

“Of course, he didn’t,” he quickly said, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. “It’s ‘cause I’m not. I mean … why would I be?”

She noticed how he rubbed the back of his neck every time he lied or was embarrassed, but she decided to feign ignorance. The tips of his ears had turned pink. Though it was endearing, she decided to change the topic.

Trying for an air of nonchalance, she said “He also mentioned that I was all you talked about. And something about you being at this party and ignoring every girl that approached. And how you bragged about a girl that was more gorgeous than the others.”

Her heart was getting way ahead of itself, but that didn’t stop it from performing an orchestra of hope inside her chest.

“Well, I mean …” Eric paused, sounding embarrassed. “I might’ve mentioned you ...” he cleared his throat a little, “... a few times. And those girls at the party weren’t my type anyway, so ...”

“Well what is your type?”

“Good question,” he began. The return of Eric’s infamous glint of mischief returned to his eyes, and Melody had to suppress a laugh. “See, until recently I always went for the Ruby’s and Kelley’s of the world: popular but with zero brain cells.”

“Well it’s a good thing you’ve finally seen the error of your ways.”

“And all it took was for one girl to stomp on my foot, and threaten to kick my ass,” he added with a wink. “She probably still can if need be.”

Melody smirked. “You know it.”

Eric nodded with a chuckle as the traffic light changed to green and they continued down the long winding road once more, the atmosphere in the car much lighter now than before.

“You know,” Melody said lightly, hoping Eric’s relaxed mood would make him more open to what she was about to say, “You still never gave me an answer.”

“An answer for what?” he asked.

“For Lauren and Casey.”

And just like that the tension in Eric’s shoulders returned. “You’re not gonna let this go, are you?”

“I will when I get a definite answer.”

He drummed his fingers against the dashboard for a few seconds before releasing a tired sigh. “Can I at least have some time to … y’know … think about it?”

Melody had to suppress a triumphant smile. “Sure. Sleep on it.”

He gave her a small nod of appreciation. “Thank you.”

130 Reviews

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 pm
*coco says...

At lunch the next day, Eric was sat on a bench outside with Bobby. Stomach grumbling, Eric looked down at his watch with a frown.

“Where’s Mel?” She’d practically ordered him to meet her for lunch, and it wasn’t like her to be late.

“Dunno,” shrugged Bobby. “Maybe Marvin swept her off her feet, an’ now they’re both riding off into the sunset as we speak.”

Eric rolled his eyes at Bobby’s attempt at humour. “Funny.”

“I still can’t believe that nerd and his family were invited to her house,” Bobby paused to throw Eric a sideway glance. “You feel threatened yet?”

“By Marvin?” Eric let out a scoff. “Please. The guy wears a bowtie; the only person he’s threatening is the fashion police.”

Bobby threw him a look of concern, “You watch that show?”

“No.”

“Of course he does.”

Eric looked up at Lauren and glowered. But luckily, Melody, who was beside her, appeared not to have heard.

“You ready?” she asked him.

Eric noted the look of excitement on her face and forced himself not to roll his eyes. He cast his mind back to the night before when he’d agreed to Melody’s chosen consequence for losing their bet.

“When you lose, you’ll have to do whatever I say for the whole day.”

He should’ve known better than to accept those terms, because one of Melody’s first requests the very next morning was for him to give Lauren and Casey his blessing.

It was like she’d planned it all along …

But a bet was a bet. And like it or not, he’d lost. “Ready as I’ll ever be.”

Lauren, who had been left in the dark about what was about to happen, looked from him to Melody in confusion. “Ready for what?” she asked.

On cue, Bobby cut in. “Hey, Lauren, I’ve been meaning to ask you about my costume.”

“What about it?”

“The sleeves ripped,” Bobby explained, “I was hoping you could fix it for me before Mrs Bing finds out.”

“Sure,” Lauren nodded, and with that, she headed back inside the school building. Bobby followed behind her, but not before throwing Melody a secret wink.

Once they’d disappeared inside, Melody and Eric made their way to the cafeteria.

“So, Casey will be meeting you there,” Melody explained, the excitement literally bursting out of her. “Remember the bet, Eric,” she added sternly, “I want you to let him take Lauren to the deb ball. He won’t ask her until he knows you're cool with it.”
Eric was far from cool with it, but he knew that he had no choice.

The school cafeteria was buzzing as usual with the usual sounds of loud conversation and

Casey was looking anywhere and everywhere

“Is there something you wanna ask me, Case?”

“No.”

“Good.”

With that, Casey practically scrambled out of his chair.

“Casey!” Melody exclaimed pointedly. “Will you sit back down?”

Casey threw her a pleading look, but he should’ve known better than to expect her to let him off. A part of Eric wanted to laugh, but he remembered he needed to continue acting serious about all this.

Like a man condemned, Casey reluctantly sat back down in his seat.

“Thank you,” said Melody, looking more than fed up by all this. “Now, tell Eric what you have to say.”

Casey swallowed as if he had a lump in his throat. “Okay,” he started, “s-so I know that it might be weird an’ all because you’re my best friend and she’s your sister, but …” He fiddled with the button of his collar as if hot. “I just … I really … what I’m trying to say is that -”

Eric decided to finally end his friend’s misery. “Fine.”

But Casey appeared not to have heard him. Lost in his word vomit, he carried on going, “I really like her an’ I think she likes me so -”

“I said yes, you idiot.”

“What?” Casey sputtered, staring stupidly between Eric and Melody.

That was the moment his girlfriend had to rub it in. She smiled smugly at Casey. “Didn’t I tell you he would come around?”

“I - wha -?” Casey looked between them as if trying to work out if they’d gone mad or he’d gone mad. “Eric, did she … threaten you?”

Eric let out a sigh, leaning back in his chair. “Something like that.”

Smirking, Melody kissed him on the cheek. Still seeing the baffled look on Casey’s face, she explained, “I won a bet. Now he has to do whatever I say for the rest of the day.”

Casey visibly quirked up at that. “In that case, you mind asking him to talk to Reese for me about maybe borrowing his ride for the night -?”

“Don’t push it,” Eric silenced him.

Casey immediately looked down. “Sorry.”

Melody decided to cut through the tension. “Casey, don’t you think now would be a good time to ask Lauren to the dance?”

“Yeah,” agreed Eric. “Get outta here before I change my mind.”

This time Casey heard loud and clear. Like a bolt of lightning he shot up out of his seat and headed straight for the exit, knocking over four trays and almost colliding with the door. Eric watched him go with a shake of his head.

“It’ll be a miracle if he makes it to the stupid ball.” Eric could imagine him doing something ridiculous and completely Casey-like on the day; forgetting his keys and arriving at the wrong venue for example.

“He’ll be fine,” Melody replied, smiling widely as she watched Casey darting out of the cafeteria.

“It’s not him I’m worried about.”

“Then what is it?”

But Eric said nothing. How could he explain the inherent need for him to protect his sibling, to someone who was an only child? And even if he did, Melody would probably dismiss it like she did yesterday when they spoke about it on the journey back.

“Come on, Casanova,” she insisted. “You can tell me.”

“Let’s just hope you’re right about this,” he said, artfully avoiding the question.

“Usually am,” she smirked.

Eric raised a curious brow at her. “So you’re saying that your instincts are usually right?”

“Are you saying they’re not?” she countered.

“No, I was just thinking of what your instincts were when you first met me,” he said curiously. “Were they right?”

A fierce blush raged in Melody’s cheeks, and she stared at him sheepishly. “Maybe they were a little off.”

“Oh really?” Eric couldn’t help the smirk that crossed his lips hearing that. “How ‘off’ are we talking about exactly? I’m curious.”

The blush spread to the tips of her ears. “Very off,” she admitted reluctantly.

“Come on, Mel,” he said laughing, “you’ve gotta give me a little bit more than that. I want specifics.”

She sighed, rolling her eyes. “I thought you were the same as the other guys I dated before. I dated a footballer once...until I found him in the hallway with another girl at the Winter Formal. Then after my parents died, and..there was this Goth guy. He had his own rock band and sometimes he would ask me to sing backup for him, but he was into another girl. When she got sick of him, then he’d come back to me. So I was just..just better than nothing.”

Eric looked away from her, slightly offended. “So basically you thought I was an ass.” He shrugged lightly. “I guess I can’t blame you.”

She reached for his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. “Eric, that’s not what I meant, and you know it. “I was wrong about you in the beginning. So very wrong, and I’m sorry.”

“Apology accepted,” he winked.

A relieved smiled played across her lips before turning mischievous. “Now it’s your turn.”

“My turn for what?” he asked.

She smacked his shoulder. “How right were your instincts about me?”

Smirking, he turned himself so he was directly facing her, leaning forwards so no one could hear them. “Well, when I first saw you I thought you were hot - even if you had that weird goth-thing going on. And then I thought, ‘she looks like a great kisser,’ so I’d say my instincts were spot on.”

“You seriously thought I was...hot?” she asked in disbelief.

“You sound surprised.”

Melody shrugged.

“Mel, just because the guys you dated before me never told you that, doesn’t mean it isn’t true.”

She gave a small smile, still tinged with uncertainty. “Thanks, Casanova.”

“Don’t thank me yet,” he shrugged before pulling out a bar of chocolate. “As promised.”
Melody grinned, accepting the candy as she unwrapped it, and broke off half to share with Eric. “And I thought you forgot.”

He shook his head. “All yours, and by the way, I never forget my promises.”

Melody flashed him her rarest smile, a knowing glimmer dancing in her eyes. “I know, Casanova. I know.”

108 Reviews

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:54 pm
bluewaterlily says...

Melody sat on the sofa next to Eric, nervously tapping her fingers against her thigh.

“I don’t get it. Why do we have to wait?” Eric asked.

“Because that’s how it works,” she said.

“I never have to wait for appointments.”

Melody rolled her eyes.

“I’m bored,” he continued, slumping against the couch.

“We just sat down.”

He looked at her, then at his watch. “Really?”

“Yes, really. It’s barely been five minutes.”

“Oh.”

He let out another sigh of boredom, before his eyes fell on a few magazines on the coffee table in front of them. He leaned forwards and plucked one up blindly, flipping through the pages until his eyes settled on a picture of a famous celebrity that had recently had her nose and lips done. Melody peered critically at the image. She snorted with disdain. It had clearly been another case of plastic surgery gone wrong.

“Gross!” Eric exclaimed, closing the magazine and throwing it back onto the table in disgust. “I think I just burnt my eyes.”

“She looked a little like Kelley.” A wicked smile pushed itself onto Melody’s lips. “Is that why you had to find a new tutor? You know, so you didn’t burn your eyes?”

Eric said nothing, still very much horrified by the image he’d just seen. “I never get why some girls do that to themselves.”

Melody shrugged, thinking of a time when she wished for a straighter nose or larger lips to keep Grant interested. “It’s the beauty standards, and guys seem to like them. So as long as guys like them…”

“My sister-in-law, wanted plastic surgery done after she had her kids. My brother threatened to divorce her if she did. He told her she was beautiful just the way she is.”

Melody looked up in surprise. “I’m glad,” she said softly. “More guys need to be like that.”

“I’d never encourage my girlfriend to get it done. I think it’s stupid.”

Melody smiled. “And why do you think it’s stupid?”

“It’s like my brother said; girls are beautiful just the way they are,” he answered simply.

“Did you always feel that way, even when you were dating the Rubies and Kelley’s of the world?”

Eric nodded without hesitation. “I have a younger sister. I might call her alien, but to me she’s perfect the way she is.” He paused for a moment before adding, “Don’t tell her I said that.”

“I think she already knows.”

He feigned disappointment as he crossed his arms together. “Great.”

Melody laughed. “You know, a few years ago, I was dating this guy, and … well this is going to sound really stupid. But he liked this other girl, so not only did I join cheer squad since she was a cheerleader, I wanted a nose job or bigger lips. Pretty crazy, right?”

Eric threw her a frown. He actually looked disappointed in her. “It’s not crazy, it’s stupid,” he repeated himself. “You’re perfect the way you are.” As if realising what he’d just said, he faltered a little. “I-is it warm in here, or is it just me?” He then shot up from his seat like a bullet and hurriedly went to open a window, fumbling as he tried to take off the latch.

Melody sat, frozen, in dumbfounded silence as his words danced through her mind. He’d said it so bluntly, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Heat blossomed all around her whole body as she felt roses of embarrassment blooming in cheeks. She watched as Eric clumsily fiddled with the latch.

“This stupid thing’s not opening.”

Recovering, Melody stood up, “Here, let me do it.”

He threw her a dubious look. “I can open a window, Mel. This one is just ...” He rattled the latch irritably, the tips of his ears still pink.

Melody bit her lip to keep from smiling. “You show that window who’s boss.”

In spite of himself, Eric smiled before finally stepping away from the window. “Forget it. I’m not that warm anymore.”

Melody laughed, knowing this was his way of admitting defeat. He took a seat on the sofa again.

“I think you should change therapists,” he said after another long moment passed. “This one doesn’t seem to know the meaning of punctuality.”

It was at that precise moment that Dr. Evans chose to walk in. Melody drew in a breath of fortification, cheeks blazing with mortification. If the therapist heard, she didn’t give any indication. She beamed at Melody and Eric.

Dr. Evans settled into the loveseat. “Melody, it’s good to see you, and it’s how lovely to finally meet your boyfriend.”

“This is Eric.”

The therapist turned her gaze to Eric, extending a hand for him to shake. “Melody has told me such good things about you.”

Eric threw Melody a smirk as he shook her hand. “Good to know.”

“Thank you for coming in today.”

“Anything to help,” he nodded.

“Oh, I think your presence here today will help Melody tremendously.” She looked over at Melody and smiled warmly. “Shall we begin?”

Melody nodded.

“Right, so today, instead of focusing on your parents I want us to talk about you and Eric. That is, if the two of you would be comfortable with that,” she added.

Melody stared at Eric, silently in permission. Noticing her stare, he gave her a reassuring nod before looking over at Dr Evans. “Let’s do it.”

“Excellent. So, why don’t we start from the beginning? Melody mentioned that the two of you met in detention. Apparently you flirted with her and she …”

“Stepped on my foot,” finished Eric, smirking before throwing Melody a look. “It wasn’t my finest moment, I have to say.”

Melody returned the smirk. “Why was that? Never been told no by a girl before?”

“Well, duh,” he nodded as if it were the most obvious answer in the world. “I mean, who would say no to this face?” He pointed at himself to further clarify his point.

“Well I did,” Melody reminded him with a smirk. “It wasn’t too hard.”

“Mel, here, is an individual,” Eric said, speaking to the therapist. “She doesn’t follow the crowd.”

The therapist smiled. “I can tell. But that didn’t stop you from pursuing her, did it, Eric?”

He shook his head. “Nope.”

“And why is that?”

He shrugged, leaning his back against the couch, an elbow over the top. “I don’t really know.”

“There must have been something,” she probed, “something that made you want to keep trying.”

Eric turned his head to meet Mel’s stare. “At first it was because I thought she was pretty,” he admitted. “Even with the whole goth-thing going on.”

Melody had to laugh. She decided to deflect the therapist’s question. “And why was that?”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged again.

“There must have been something else that attracted you to Melody,” Dr. Evans probed.

“I could tell she had a good heart,” Eric answered. “It was obvious she’d had a rough few years, so I understood where that aggressive front of hers was coming from.”

Melody’s eyes met his, large and surprised. Those rare moments of perceptiveness always shocked her. Softly, she asked him, “And how did you come to that conclusion? I haven’t been accused of having a good heart in a long time.”

Before Eric could answer, Dr. Evans interjected, “Do you agree with what Eric said, Melody about the way you reacted when he first approached you?”

Melody titled her head back to rest on the back of the couch, sighing. She nodded reluctantly. “I was so angry. It was … it was like the world had just moved on, but I was still spinning out of control and no one could see it until it was too late.”

“What do you mean?” she asked gently. All the while Eric sat there in silence, listening.

“Well when things got rough, when I got too difficult, I was just taken in by a new relative. First it was my grandma, on my father’s side, then his brother. His sister next. A distant cousin, and finally my mother’s brother. I haven’t had a home that lasted more than six months.”

“And how long have you been living with your uncle?”

“Four months,” Melody answered softly, as if admitting that would somehow jinx her. Eric watched as her forehead creased apprehensively, as if she was scared she was testing her luck.

“And do you think that your uncle will send you away?”

Melody refused to meet her gaze or Eric’s. “I don’t know.”

“That won’t happen, Mel,” he assured her softly, finally breaking his silence.

“How can you be so sure? It’s already happened five times.”

“I think what Eric is trying to say,” the therapist intervened gently, “is that you’ve made some progress this time round. You have people in your life that you care about outside of your family, and they in turn care about you also. And the fact that you’re uncle set this up, shows how deeply he cares about you.”

Melody nodded shakily, knowing that everything they said was true. Slipping her hand into Eric’s, she gave it a grateful squeeze.

Looking at Eric, she said, “You’re right.”

“I’m always right,” he winked.

She responded by rolling her eyes but smiled.

“It seems,” Dr. Evans commented, “that Eric has become quite a positive influence in your life.”

Eric laughed. “I’ve been called a lot of things, but ‘a positive influence’ has never been one of them.”

The therapist leaned forward, intrigued. “Why do you say that?”

“Let’s just say that I have a bit of a reputation.”

“What kind of reputation?”

“The kind that put her off trusting me in the first place,” he said, tilting his head towards Melody.

“Can you tell me what changed that? Melody mentioned you standing up for her.”

Eric shrugged as if it were no big deal. “That and other things. She didn’t make it easy, though. Did you, Mel?”

Melody shook her head, laughing at his smirk. “No I didn’t.”

The therapist smiled. “Melody mentioned that last week.”

“Really?” Eric threw her a curious look, mixed with a hint of amusement. “And what did she say?”

Dr. Evan’s smile turned conspiratorial. “That’s a good question, and one I think only Melody should answer.”

Melody decided to indulge him. “Well I mentioned no matter how you never took no for answer. And how you wouldn’t take no for answer,” she added with a breathy laugh. “And I realized you were different because no matter how I turned you away, you never gave up. Even when I didn’t give you a chance, you gave me many.”

“Well, I do love a good challenge.”

Melody rolled her eyes but smiled when he threw her a cheeky wink. Seriousness fell around her as she asked, “Why didn’t you give up? I was horrible to you.”

“I never give up … with anything. You should know that about me by now.”

“And was it worth it?”

“Wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t.” The infamous glint returned in Eric’s eyes as he leaned close to catch her lips with his. Melody’s eyes widened in surprise as her lips molded to the familiar shape of Eric’s.

He pulled away gently, one eyebrow quirked as he said, “Does that answer your question?”

“Maybe.”

The therapist cleared her throat and Melody could see Eric throwing Dr Evans a mildly irritated look. If the therapist noticed, she pretended not to.

“I think now that you’re both comfortable, particularly you, Melody, we can move on to the subject at hand.”

Melody shifted uncomfortably. “You mean my parents.”

“Yes, Melody,” she nodded, “your parents. I’d like for the rest of this session to focus on where we left off last week. Can you start by telling me about the night your parents died?”

Melody stiffened. The sound of silence was shattered by heavy breathing and Melody realized it was her.

“If it’s too soon-”

“It’s not,” Melody snapped.

Staring at the wall she said, “We were coming home from a Christmas party. It was getting dark so my parents wanted to get home because it was a school night. I had just started driving, and I wanted to show my parents I was ready for my own car. I pestered them to let me drive that night. My mom didn’t want me too, but my dad convinced her I could handle it. He said I needed the practice to get used to driving at night.

“I got behind the wheel and so did a drunk driver. It was a rear end collision with an eighteen wheeler. My mom was in the back and my dad was in the passenger’s seat. I’m lucky to be here. That’s what everyone told me.” She was surprised by how hollow and monotone her voice sounded to her own ears, as static as the final beep of a flat lining heart monitor.

Her eyes suddenly fell on Eric as if she’d only just realised he was sitting beside her. She searched his deep blue orbs, trying to determine what he was feeling, what he was thinking, after hearing the truth that she’d kept hidden for so long. Say something, she silently begged, anything would be better than the silence that now engulfed them. But such was his shock that Eric could not speak.

“You blame yourself for what happened.” Unlike last week, this time it wasn’t a question. It was a statement. More than anything, it was confirmation. An almost clinical observation. Melody felt like a butterfly being pinned on a glass pane.

She met Dr. Evan’s eyes before looking away. “I was driving.”

“Do you blame your parents too?”

“I want to.”

“Can you tell me why?”

“Isn’t guilt easier to share? I thought it helped to shift part of the blame on someone else. Seems to work for criminals.”

“Melody, you’re not a criminal.”

“I didn’t say that I was.”

“You as good as compared yourself to one, but it wasn’t your fault.”

“Then why does it feel like it was?”

“Guilt is a common feeling a lot of people experience following the death of a loved one. Survivor’s guilt is very common in a traumatic experience. But you have to understand you did nothing wrong.”

“Then why is it like I have this curse hanging around me where everyone in my life eventually come under danger?”

“What do you mean, Melody?”

“First, my parents. And then….then, Eric.”

“Mel,” Eric cut in, and she couldn’t hide the flood of relief she felt upon hearing his voice again. “Not this again -”

“I’m sorry,” interrupted Dr Evans, “what are we talking about here?”

Eric sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. “A few months ago I got into a car accident. The circumstances were … similar.”

“How do you mean?”

“There was a drunk driver involved,” he clarified. “And even after I’ve told her it wasn’t her fault, she still blames herself for what happened.”

“You were driving home after taking me to a concert,” Melody argued. “It was because of me that you almost died -”

“Almost,” he cut in. His eyes bored into hers as if willing her to understand, but Melody refused to meet his gaze. So Eric gently took her hand in his and placed it over his heart. “See? I’m still breathing.”

Melody could feel the slow, steady drumming of his heartbeat beneath her fingers. It should have calmed her but it was still a reminder of the danger she brought to those around her. “I know, Eric. But what if next time there is no almost?”

“Melody,” Dr. Evans interjected, “You can’t let that fear stop you from living your life, and you can’t let guilt from the past stop you from having the future you deserve for yourself. You have so much life in you; I can see in your eyes. That life is meant to be shared with people, and there are many people that want to share that gift with you.”

“She’s right, Mel. Why can’t you believe that?”

Melody shook her head. “I don’t know how to.”

Eric’s expression shifted into confusion. “How to what?”

Melody gave a small shrug. “To live. without leaving behind a legacy of scars.”

“I disagree, Melody,” said Dr Evans. “Who says scars are always bad? I think they show strength. The ones you have means that you’re strong enough to overcome anything.”

“Scars aren’t the same as beauty.”

“Mel, I think you’re confusing beauty with perfection,” Eric chimed in.

Melody gave a halfhearted smile before looking away. “You mean, knowing the truth doesn’t change your feelings about me?”

Eric shook his head, his forehead slightly creased by her insinuation. “Of course not.”

“I think that’s enough for today,” Dr. Evans said after a moment. “You both did well, and I am pleased with the progress you’re making, Melody.”

She threw the therapist a dubious stare, earning a laugh.

“Progress can’t be rushed. And it may feel like it is slow or that you’re not making any progress but I can assure you that you are.”

She turned to Eric and gave him a warm smile. “Thank you for coming in; it was very nice to meet you. You helped Melody so much.”

“I’ll take your word for it.”

“Trust me you did.”

With that the therapist stood up, shaking both their hands again before leaving the room.

130 Reviews

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:38 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

Eric decided to wait until he and Melody had left the building before speaking again. When he’d offered to accompany her to her therapy session, he’d known it would be difficult. But even he’d been unprepared by exactly how difficult it would be.

He glanced over at Melody who walked along in silence beside him, arms folded across her chest almost protectively and head down as if she was hoping the ground would swallow her up. Eric felt a strange twist in his gut seeing her this way, so vulnerable and almost … ashamed. Her confession to being behind the wheel the night her parents died in a car crash had shook Eric to his core. It wasn’t that he agreed that it was her fault; it was that she’d had to carry that level of guilt around with her ever since. Anyone else would’ve topped themselves to end the pain, but she was living with it.

When they finally emerged from the building, the cold December wind rushed towards them. Melody’s cheeks and the tip of her nose reddened. Eric frowned when he noticed a shiver racking her small frame. On instinct, he removed the scarf around his neck and carefully draped it around hers to protect her from the cold.

Melody looked up in shock. “But won’t you be cold?”

Eric shook his head. “Don’t worry about me. I’m wearing three layers under my jacket.” He tried to smile, hoping it would relax her a little, but there was no reaction.

She nodded, eyes flitting to the ground blanketed in snow. “Thanks … for everything. And I’m really sorry you had to sit through all that.”

Eric frowned. “Hey,” he stopped her, gently taking her elbow so that she had no choice but to face him. “You don’t have to thank me. And stop apologising. I chose to come, remember?”

Melody nodded, softly saying, “I know.”

“Do you?” he asked, because he wasn’t so sure. He hated seeing her like this; it made his gut twist again in a way he didn’t understand. “Come on,” he said, taking her hand in his before leading her to the car. “I wanna take you somewhere ...”

“Where are we going?” she asked

“You’ll see when we get there,” he answered simply.

“Is it another one of your makeout spots?” she teased halfheartedly as she slipped into the passenger’s seat.

He glanced at her, surprised by her slight change in tone. It’s a start, he thought. “No, it isn’t. But like the last spot, I have no problem turning it into one.”

Melody felt her lips lift into a small, natural smile. “I’m sure you don’t, Casanova. It seems to be your talent.”

“That and many other things,” he winked.

And with that, he pulled out of the parking lot and headed for the one spot in Verona where he could always find some peace. He only hoped that it would work for Melody, too.

108 Reviews

Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:14 pm
bluewaterlily says...

Eric drove in silence and Melody watched the landscape shift away from urbanization. Fields rolled behind them as they passed them by, the monotony of the white quilting of snow broken up by sparse patches of Evergreens. The farther Eric drove, the more dense the Evergreens became. He careened the car onto a worn path and at the end of the trail, Melody could see a lavish winter cabin, its back nestled against the wall snowcapped Evergreen trees.

The sloping roof of the cabin was swathed in a layer of snow. A huge wraparound porch hugged the front of the house as well as the back. As they got closer, Melody realized the cabin was two stories and the second level had a balcony, the railing already dusted in snow.

“Eric, what is this place?”

“This is my family’s winter cabin,” he answered. “We used to come here a lot but then … we stopped. Anyway, it’s my place now.”

Melody gaped at him. “All this is yours?”

Eric nodded. “I come here whenever I need to get away from Verona and clear my head.”

“So this is like your man cave?”

Eric smirked. “You could call it that.”

“Why you did you bring me here?” she asked.

“I thought it might help clear your head the way it helps clear mine,” he answered. “Come on, I’ll show you around.”

He unlocked the door to reveal a spacious living area. Light hardwood panelling lined the walls and floor as the foyer opened up to a spacious living area. The pale wood seemed to glow, giving the room a warm feeling. Mounted on the walls were deer heads. Melody guessed no man cave or lavish winter cabin weren’t complete without stuffed deer. Two sofas with a chaise sandwiched in between them faced the fireplace. A Persian rug sprawled the center of the floor with a coffee table. Behind two leather upholstered loveseats was a wooden staircase that opened up to a loft style interior balcony, the railing lining the backwall and overlooking a pair of French doors.

“Do you come here often?”

Eric shrugged. “It depends on the kinda week I’ve had. Sometimes my friends come to chill. It’s mine so luckily I get to come and go whenever I want.”

Melody gave a small laugh. “I could use a place like that.”

“Feel free to use this,” he said, “it’s an awesome place to get away from it all. And you can stay for as long as you need to,” he was rambling now, though he seemed to not notice. “We could even spend the night here if you’re not ready to go home -” He stopped once he realised the possible meaning behind what he’d just said.

Melody blushed furiously when she realized the true reason he brought her here.. “Eric...I’m not...I’ve never been with a guy...not like that....I’m not ready for that yet.”

Eric rushed to explain himself, “I didn’t mean - I just … We don’t have to … I just meant you could sleep in one place, and I could sleep in another place … a really far place.” If Melody was blushing, Eric was blushing harder. He rubbed the back of his neck and quickly looked around the cabin in the hope of finding something to do to clear the awkwardness that he’d just invited in. “I’m just gonna set the fire up.”

“Do you need help?” Melody asked, hating to sit idle, feeling useless.

“No, I can do it,” he said, still not meeting her eyes, clearly still horrified that he’d made her feel uncomfortable. “Why don’t you, uh, have a look around the place?”

Melody sighed, suppressing the urge to roll her eyes. Now that she was finally ready to look at him, he wouldn’t even meet her gaze. He had his back turned to her as he piled wood into the fireplace. She approached him, laying a hand on his shoulder.

“Eric,” she said gently, “It’s okay. I know you won’t push me. I trust you.”

He finally turned to face her, looking her dead in the eye. “I would never push you to do anything you’re not comfortable to do. I only brought you here hoping it would clear your head. This place, it … it actually belonged to my mom …”

Melody felt shock recoil through her like a bullet at him mentioning his mother. He had never done that before. Hope curled inside her, hope that he would finally open up to her. “It’s beautiful,” she said.

He nodded, glancing about the place. “It has a nice feel to it. I guess that’s why I like coming here.”

She scanned his eyes, trying to probe for his emotions. Every time something triggered the memory of his mother, he would slowly withdraw without even realizing it.

“My dad had it built for her after I was born,” he continued. “She loved the place. It sorta became our home for the Christmas holidays.”

Melody offered him a smile. “I can see why. This is the perfect place to celebrate Christmas. Thank you for showing me this. I know it’s really personal to you, so it means a lot.”

And just like that, Eric’s demeanor shifted completely. “It’s nothing …”

“I disagree,” Melody said softly. “When I was younger, my parents took me to a cabin every summer. It wasn’t as nice as this,” she added with a husky laugh. “It was much smaller...and older and I remember hating to leave the city and my friends to spend the summer in the woods with just my parents, but we still had good times. And I would do anything to have more of those memories still, My point is, I guess is..as you grow up, you realize after you lose those closest to you, that the things that seemed like they were small or nothing were really the big things. So yes, this means a lot.”

Eric returned to the pile of firewood. Melody wished she could see what he was thinking, what he was feeling, but he wouldn’t turn to look at her. She could feel those sturdy walls of his go right back up again. He still wasn’t ready to talk about his mom. She wondered for a moment how deep his pain must be for him to be this way, to suppress his loss like he did, and how exhausting it must be for him.

“You okay, Casanova?” Melody asked gently.

Eric cleared his throat. “I’m perfect. As always.”

“Liar. Look, I just want you to know that you can tell me anything. And if you want to talk, I’ll listen. You don’t have to share what you’re feeling or thinking. Only if you want to. It might make it easier though.”

Eric finally managed to set the fire. As the flames slowly engulfed the wood, he turned to face her. Melody noticed how the usual mischievous glint had returned to his eyes. “Noted,” he said, before closing the distance between them. “Can we make out now? I feel like we haven’t made out in a while …”

“What about an hour ago?”

Eric quirked a brow. “That was a peck, at best. And besides, we had company.”

Melody snorted. “We always have company. Though I can’t lie. I enjoyed seeing Sophia squirm on Saturday.”

“Who’s Sophia?”

Melody smirked. “Exactly.”

With that, she leaned forward as she felt Eric’s lips conform to the shape of hers. Her mouth, which had been numbed from the cold outside, suddenly tingled with warmth.

They broke apart after a minute or two and Eric looked down at her in slight awe. “Did anyone ever tell you you’re an awesome kisser?”

Melody laughed. “I’d say the same to you, but I have a feeling you get told that a lot.”

“Well, I’m not gonna lie, I have heard it before … But please feel free to say it, so I can record it on my phone.”

Melody threw him an eyeroll. “In your wildest dreams.”

“Melody Grey,” he smirked. “If you keep mentioning my wildest dreams, I might have to make them come true ...”

Melody smirked, a thrill running down her spine with the way he said her full name. “Is that a challenge?”

“You know I love a good challenge, but I think God might overhear.”

“Oh, I’m sure He already knows. The only one who seems to be kept in the dark is me.”

“You’re right.” With that he pulled her close before saying, “in my wildest dreams, I -” The rest of his sentence was drowned out by the sound of a rock song.

“God hates me so bad,” Eric muttered and Melody blushed as she pulled her cellphone out. She stared at him apologetically.

“Hey, Uncle Jack,” she said sheepishly. “I’m at a friend’s house. Yeah...I was just about to call you. I was wondering if I could sleep over at her house. So I can stay? Thanks. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Eric’s eyes widened in shock.

Melody casually tucked her phone away into her back pocket. “So where were we again?”

“I … uh,” Eric swallowed and then cleared his throat, “Y-you’re staying?”

“Yeah,” Melody nodded, trying to fight back her disappointment. “Is that … okay? If not, I can go.”

“No, it’s fine,” he quickly said. “I just … it was a bit of a surprise, that’s all. I meant what I said, by the way, y’know before,” he added nervously. “You’ll be in your own room. And I’ll be in my room. You can take Lauren’s, if you want. Her’s is on a whole different side of the cabin ...” Eric stopped his babbling and swallowed once more. “I need a drink. Do you need a drink? Let’s have a drink.”

Melody laughed, settling on the sofa as Eric retreated to the kitchen.

“What are you in the mood for?” he called out. “We have water, Red Bull … some more Red Bull …” There was a pause. “I found a lemon.”

“A Red Bull is fine.”

A few seconds passed before Eric returned with two Red Bull cans in his hands. “Sorry, the last person to bring any groceries here was Bobby, and this stuff is all he drinks.” He handed Melody her can and took a seat beside her on the couch.

Melody flashed him a reassuring smile. “It’s fine.” She popped the tab and took a swig.

“If you’re cold, there’s a throw in the coffee table drawer.”

“I’m fine, Eric, but thanks.” But as she said it, she scooted a little closer to him.

“It is a fur throw, but it won’t bite you, I promise.” He got up off the couch and pulled out a plush leopard print throw, settling it over her lap.

Melody reclined against the back of the sofa. “Neither do I,” she pointed out.. “Why are you sitting on the other end?”

Eric pulled a face similar to a deer being caught in headlights. “I thought I’d, uh … give you some space so you’re, y’know … comfortable.”

She rolled her eyes. “Well…” Melody stalled, “what if I would be more comfortable with less ‘space?’” Before he could answer, she reached for the blanket, shaking it out and spreading it over Eric too, so they were both covered. She flashed him his usual trademark smirk. “Isn’t that better?”

Eric just stared blankly at her for a moment. “Who are you, and what have you done with my girlfriend?”

Melody raised an eyebrow. “This isn’t the ‘50s. I’m allowed to enjoy time with my boyfriend.”

“I’m not complaining,” he assured her. With that, he scooted closer and draped his arm over the back of her side of the couch. “I agree; this is much better.”

Melody laughed, completely reclining on the sofa and prompting Eric to do the same. She rested her head against his chest. Heat flooded her skin, as she curled up to Eric, enjoying the way his body wrapped around hers, protectively. Even perfectly, like two lost puzzle pieces clicking into place. The knots in her muscles dissolved as he held her in his arms. Melody felt something she hadn’t felt in years. Safety.

“So,” Eric spoke up, “I hate to interrupt this very romantic moment, but I think it’s time we talked about the therapy session.”

Melody heaved a sigh, instantly feeling her muscles tensing. Perfection couldn’t last forever.

“I know,” she said sullenly staring at the dancing flames, watching as they cast flickering shadows across the room.

“It was a disaster. Even I didn’t think it would be that bad. Everytime I think I’m doing better, I have a relapse. This just happened to be the first time anyone has seen it.”

“You mean me?” he said.

Melody nodded. “I’m usually better at keeping it...to myself.”

He nodded. “I know what you mean. You don’t want anyone seeing you so … vulnerable.”

“Yeah,” she agreed softly. “But more than anything, I didn’t want it to change how you feel about me. I was so afraid you’d hate me.”

“You need to stop thinking that, Mel.”

She sighed, shaking her head frantically. “It changed the way my own family looked at me. My grandmother...on my dad’s side, she took me in. Sure. For four months. But every time she looked at me, I could see the pain, the judgement in her eyes. She never said it to my face, but sometimes a person doesn’t have to say something for you to know they’re thinking it.
You just look in their eyes and they let you know. Sometimes...I think that’s even worse than words. When she couldn’t take it anymore or stand my presence any more, she just...shipped me off. That doesn’t exactly make me feel less guilty.”

“That was stupid of her,” he frowned. “I’m sorry, I know she’s your grandmother and everything, but she should’ve been more mature about the situation.”

Melody laughed, bitter and brittle. But as he defended her, she felt the tight bands of tension in her chest ease up a bit.

“I think she blamed me more than the drunk driver. On my last night there, I overheard a phone conversation. And she told her friend that even if the drunk driver hadn’t been on the road, that the wreck still would’ve happened, because I wasn’t ready to drive. After my parent’s deaths, but especially after what she said, I was terrified to get behind the wheel again.”

“So how did you start driving again?” he asked.

Melody sighed. “I had to. After I moved out, I moved in with my uncle-not the one I was on the phone- and for the first few weeks he would take me places, but after the first month, he threw me the keys and made me get over it.”

“Harsh.” Eric shook his head. “That uncle sounds a lot like my ol’ man.”

“Is he hard on you?”

Eric scoffed. “Hard doesn’t even begin to cover it.” A pause followed and for a moment, Melody thought that he wouldn’t elaborate any further, but then he continued. “Nothing I do is ever good enough for him. I was never smart like my brothers or as into the family business … I was like the black sheep. Janet would try to encourage me but my dad …” he paused to let out a sigh, “he’d make his disappointment known. Any opportunity to put me down or undermine me, he’d take it,” Another pause followed, this one much longer. “I was so desperate to get his approval that I tried everything. I knew I wasn’t good at academics so I turned to sports, to football. When he realised I was good at that he finally started paying some attention. That’s why football is so important to me, it’s my one connection to him.” There was another pause. “I just hope I can get back to it before he finds out I’ve been dropped.”

Melody felt a twinge of sympathy.“I don’t see it as a bad thing that you’re different. And the fact that your dad can’t see that, then it’s his loss. That has nothing to do with sports, but with the person you are. You’ll get back on the team; I know you can do it.”

Eric let out a frustrated sigh and combed his curls back with his fingers. “I hope so ‘cause if I don’t I am done for.”

“That’s not true.”

“Yeah, it is,” he retorted. “Football is all I’ve ever been good at. It’s my whole life. If I screw that up I have nothing.”

Unfazed, Melody squeezed his hand and looked him dead in the eyes. “Eric, you’re so much more than just a good football player. But no matter what happens, I know that you’ll get through it because of your determination. And I know this may not be much, but you still have Lauren, your friends, and me to be there for you.”

Eric looked at her for a moment, then smirked a little. “Thanks, Mel.”

Softly she said, “I wish I could do more.”

He shook his head, and then held her closer. Melody’s heart performed a marathon as Eric’s arms wrapped around her tighter. “Just this is enough.”

Her head pillowed against his chest, Melody listened to the song of his heartbeat. “Maybe there’s a reason we found each other, and it’s more than me just stepping on your foot the first time we met.”

Eric chuckled with genuine amusement. “In that case I guess it’s true what they say: no pain, no gain.”

Melody smirked. “Well I think it’s fair to say, you got your payback at rehearsals two weeks ago.”

“What do you mean?”

“When you accidently dropped me. So I guess we’re even now.”

“Way to kill the mood, Mel,” he grumbled. “My dancing isn’t getting any better, y’know. Kate’s trying her best, but I’m just too much of a klutz to pick up any of the moves.”

Melody frowned. “Who’s Kate? She isn’t another cheerleader, is she?”

“No,” he smirked, sensing her obvious jealousy. “She’s my sister-in-law. You remember my niece, Rose? That’s her mom.”

Melody blushed. “Oh.”

Eric’s smirk only widened. “I don’t know if she was ever a cheerleader or not. I could ask her if you want.”

Melody’s cheeks were still tinged pink. “I’m good.”

“You sure?” he asked, quirking a brow.

She threw him an eyeroll. “Positive, Casanova. So anyway, back to what I was saying before. Today at therapy, you mentioned I had a good heart and you knew that I had been through some rough years and I just realized how perceptive you are.”

“Why, thank you,” he said smugly. “I’ve always been quite perceptive.”

“Except when other girls hit on you,” Melody pointed out. “Then you become oblivious.”

Eric sighed. “Not this again …”

Melody tried to steer the conversation back. “I guess what I’ve been trying to say is that we took the time to really know each other which is something that not a lot of people do in either of our lives.”

After a moment Eric nodded, “I guess you’re right.”

Melody smirked. “It’s not to often I hear those words. Seems like I say that to you more than you say it back. Can you repeat it so I can record it on my phone?”

Eric laughed out loud. “Melody Grey, did you just take my line?”

Her smirk widened. “Yes, I did. Is that a problem?”

“No, I’m just flattered. Clearly I’m having a bigger influence on you than I thought.”

“I guess you are.”

“What do you feel like doing now? I don’t know ‘bout you, but I’d like to take my mind off the crappy day we’ve had.”

“Do you have any movies?” Melody suggested.

“Do I?” he echoed. “I have tons!” He got up from the couch and pulled out one of the draws of the side table. Inside where about twenty or so black cassettes. “They’re all Christmas movies, old Christmas movies. Each year my mom would pick one of us to choose.”

“Which one was your favorite?”

“The one about a kid whose parents accidentally leave him behind on a family trip. He’s left alone at home and these two burglars try to break in, but he’s smart as hell so he leaves all these cool traps around his house to stop them …”

Melody smirked. “Home Alone? Why do I have the feeling you would do something like that as a kid?”

“Well, my parents never left me alone at home, but if they did I think I’d do just as good as him. He’s so badass. If I ever have a kid I want it to be as badass as him.”

Melody smiled. “Me too. My dad was a karate instructor. So I guess my kid would have to get their black belt too.”

Eric chuckled. “You’ll have a Karate Kid. Get it? Like the movie?”

Melody rolled her eyes but laughed along. “Did I ever mention that it’s a good thing you’re cute?”

“Because it helps me get away with bad jokes?” he smirked. “What can I say? My cuteness is a blessing. Janet told me once that when I was small she couldn’t tell me off, ‘cause everytime she tried to she’d look at my face and then give up.”

“Hmmm,” Melody stalled playfully. “I’m going to have to validate that. I guess I’ll have to ask Lauren for your baby pictures.”

That sobered him up immediately. “No, you won’t.”

“And why not?” she teased.

“Because they’re pictures of me as a baby,” he reiterated. “Some of them I’m just in diapers, other ones I have teeth missing. No way in hell I’m letting you see those.”

Melody pouted. “But those are the best ones.”

He quirked a challenging brow. “So if I asked to see your baby pictures, you’d feel the same way?”

Melody snorted. “Hell no. But I’m willing to make a deal with you. I’ll show you pictures from my cheerleading days, if I get to see at least one baby picture. You don’t even have to be in a diaper.”

Eric frowned. “You’re cruel, Mel.”

Melody kissed his cheek. “And you secretly love it.”

She pulled out a picture of her with long, straight hair in a cheer squad outfit, holding a pair of pom poms. She even had glittery makeup on. Beside Melody, stood a woman that looked like her, but older. Melody looked younger, with a carefree smile on her lips.

Eric scanned the image he’d been so desperate to see for so long and it took no time at all before his mouth opened, forming a comical O.

“That’s my mom next to me,” she said softly.

“You look …” He swallowed. “Nice.” He sighed. “I guess I have to show you my baby pictures now ...”

Melody smiled. “No you don’t, not if you don’t want to.” She held the picture out to him. “You can take this as a peace offering, if you want it.”

He took it happily. “I accept your peace offering. And every time I look at it, I’ll pretend the school logo on your costume is actually Verona High, and when it was taken, the guy you were cheering for me was me.”

Melody laughed. “I guess it’s your good luck charm now.” Then her brow creased seriously, “Well as much good luck you can have with me around, anyway.”

“Hey,” he said, putting his finger gently on her frown to smooth it down. “None of that.”

He tucked the picture she’d given her into his shirt pocket before pulling out the VHS titled ‘Home Alone I.’ With that, he got up and put it into the old video player connected to the widescreen television.

“Pull out the third draw of the coffee table,” he told her as he fast-forwarded the introduction part of the movie. “There should be a photo album in there.”

Melody stared at him in shock for a moment. “Are you sure? I was just joking about the baby pictures.”

Eric gave a small smile. “Just open it up and have a look before I change my mind.”

Melody didn’t need to be told twice. She eagerly flipped through the album, landing on a page of four boys sat in a row, oldest to youngest. They wore matching outfits; white short-sleeved shirts under blue corduroy dungarees. The youngest boy had the curliest head and the most mischievous smile, making Melody laugh. It was an adorable picture of Eric.

“Wow, I can’t believe my luck. It looks like I got the cutest brother.”

Eric said nothing, but Melody could see the tips of his ears turn bright pink from the compliment.

“And probably the sweetest, too,” she added nonchalantly. That comment only embarrassed Eric more, he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Sorry. Did I just ruin your tough lady-player rep?” Melody teased.

“Kinda,” Eric grumbled.

Craning her neck, Melody leaned forward to press her lips to his, smoothing his frown away. “Don’t worry, Casanova. Your secret is safe with me.”

In spite of himself, Eric chuckled, with a slight shake of his head. “Are you done?”

“Just five more minutes,” Melody promised.

She flipped to a baby picture of him and Lauren laid out on a bed side by side. They couldn’t have been more than a few days old. They were dressed in identical baby grows, their faces small and pink. She noticed how even as a newborn Eric’s blue eyes were so deep. Melody smiled at it before moving onto a picture of Eric about three or four years old at the park, proudly holding throwing a football. His curly mane was long and lighter in colour and he was dressed in an adorable winter outfit, the tip of his nose bright red from the cold. If the first picture of him had been adorable, this by far had to be Melody’s favourite. Smiling, she closed the album and reluctantly placed it back into the drawer.

“Satisfied?” he asked, settling back onto the couch under the covers.

“For now.”

He smirked before handing her the remote control. “Movie’s ready when you are.”

Melody returned the smirk, pressing play. She then curled up close to Eric again. Though Eric’s eyes were glued to the screen, her eyes were held captive by him. Every time he laughed or smiled at his favorite parts, Melody felt her heart becoming years younger and lighter. As the credits rolled and Melody’s eyes thickened with sleep, one final thought flashed through her mind, terrifying her and setting her free all at once. I think I’m falling for you, Casanova.

130 Reviews

Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:28 pm
View Likes
*coco says...

BZZT!

Bleary eyed, Eric looked around in confusion. Clutching his head, he lifted himself a little and started looking for the source of the noise. It took him a good half a minute to realise that it was actually his cell-phone.

“Hello?” he said down the line, his voice deep and gravelly from sleep.

“Eric!” boomed his step-mom’s voice down the line causing him to almost jump in fright. “Where in God’s name have you been?!”

“Wha –?”

“Lauren and I have been worried sick! You’re lucky your father and brothers spent the night in the office again otherwise you would have been in big trouble, young man!”

Eric winced. “Can you tone it down a little, Janet? I have company …”

That was the moment, Melody decided to stir. She stared around her in confusion, remembering she was at Eric’s winter cabin and that they had fallen asleep together on his couch. She lifted her neck from a pillow that she didn’t remember being there before-one Eric must have placed under her head while she was still asleep. The blanket was still draped over her.

Melody glanced over to find Eric sitting on the opposite side of the sofa, phone pressed to his ear, bashful expression on his face.

“I don’t care if I wake your friends up!” Janet retorted, absolutely livid.

“I’m not with my friends.”

“Who are you with then?” she demanded to know. When Eric didn’t respond, she asked again. “Young man, I just asked you a question. Who did you spend the night with?”

Eric yawned, clicking his neck to the side. “Why don’t we talk about this later?”

“Oh believe me we will be talking about this later. We’ll also be discussing the dangers of underage pregnancy –”

Eric almost choked on air. Janet, however, continued.

“I think we are long overdue that particular conversation. Perhaps River can join us ...”

Melody sat up and met Eric’s eyes, trying to discern what he was thinking. She reached for the phone and Eric offered no resistance, frozen in shock, as she pried it out of his hand. Drawing a breath of fortification to steel her nerves, Melody placed the phone to her ear. Though Eric would undoubtedly be angry with her, she would prefer that than have him get in trouble because of her.

“Hello, this … this is Eric’s girlfriend.”

There was a pause and Melody could picture the shock on Eric’s step mom’s face upon hearing the words ‘Eric’s girlfriend,’ much less her actual voice as proof of her existence.

“Well, good morning,” she quickly recovered, her surprised tone turning firm. “It’s nice to finally meet you, though I wish it could have been under better circumstances -”

“I just wanted you to know Eric was a perfect gentleman.”

“You don’t have to lie for him, dear.”

Melody glanced over to her side to see Eric putting his head in his hands.

“It’s the truth.”

Before Janet could respond, Eric quickly took his cell phone back and spoke down the line, “You believe me now?” he asked.

“With everything that’s going on in this family lately, I don’t know what to believe anymore!” she exclaimed.

Eric frowned. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Janet let out a half-tired, half-frustrated sigh. “I will not discuss this any further over the phone. I want you back home in half an hour. Is that understood?”

“Yes,” Eric replied obediently, rubbing the back of his neck. And with that, Janet cut the line.

Melody glanced over apologetically at him. “Sorry I got you in trouble.”

“It wasn’t your fault; it was mine,” he said, heaving himself off the couch and smoothing down the wrinkles on his shirt. “I suppose I should’ve called to let her know. I had a feeling there was something I’d forgotten to do ...”

“How much trouble will you be in?”

He let out a sigh. “Well, like I said, this face usually gets away with a lot …” He gave Melody a small smile. “But it sounds like my step-mom’s not in the best of moods this morning, so I’m guessing a lot of trouble.” He grabbed his jacket and scarf before putting out a hand to help Melody up. “We should get going.”

She took his hand and stood up. “Yeah, we should. You don’t need to get in any more trouble because of me.”

“Trouble’s my middle name,” he winked. “No escaping it for me.”

Melody rolled her eyes. “Whatever you say, Casanova.”

After dropping Melody home, Eric pulled up to his own driveway and noticed, to his annoyance, that his brothers had already beaten him home. Marcus, River and Trent’s cars were all parked up inside the garage. Luckily, however, their old man’s car was absent, meaning he was still at the office. For a moment Eric wondered if that meant something had happened. Why else would Janet seem so angry down the phone earlier? Well, I did spend the night away from home without telling her, he reminded himself. With that, he hurriedly slipped inside through the kitchen door.

“… it might work out in our favour, but dad doesn’t wanna take any chances.” River’s low voice could be heard over the sound of sizzling from the frying pans.

Eric peered from behind a houseplant to see his brother and step-mom sitting at the breakfast table talking in hushed tones. Eric stayed frozen where he was, hoping he could overhear the conversation. Unfortunately, River had the eyes of a hawk.

“I heard you come in, dumb ass.”

Damn it. Eric sheepishly emerged from behind the houseplant and walked over to the counter, stealing some bacon the cooks were racking up.

“Where the hell have you been?” his brother questioned, shooting him a look of curiosity.

Eric glanced over at Janet, thinking she would spill. To his relief she kept her lips pursed. She was clearly still very angry with him.

Eric artfully deflected his brother’s question. “I could ask you the same.”

“I was at the office, smart-ass.”

Eric faltered. “Where were you the night before that?”

“At the office,” River repeated.

“Okay, well … what about the night before that?”

“I was with a girl,” he answered simply.

Exactly!” exclaimed Eric, turning to face his step-mom. “Y’see?”

“River!” Janet admonished. Clearly, this was news to her.

What?” River protested with amusement. “It was an adult sleepover –”

Janet closed her eyes and massaged the temples of her forehead. “Dear Lord, give me strength.”

Just then, Marcus entered the kitchen, looking flustered. The tail of his shirt was untucked and his tie was hanging undone from his collar. The sight shocked Eric. Out of all his brothers, Marcus was always the organised one; he’d be up at the crack of dawn, suited and booted before either of his brother’s had even brushed their teeth. Today, however, he appeared to be having his first off-day. Eric marvelled at the sight. Something definitely must have happened at the office, something serious …

“Where the hell’s Trent?” he asked with a frown, looking down at his watch before hurriedly tucking in his shirt.

“Hell if I know,” River shrugged, stretching his arms over his head. “He’s probably hiding in a corner somewhere crying at the thought of being married.”

It wasn’t until another fifteen minutes had passed that Trent finally walked into the kitchen, and if Marcus had seemed flustered, Trent looked unhinged.

“What time do you call this, idiot?” Marcus practically growled at him. “We were supposed to be at the office half an hour ago! Dad is gonna lose his mind –!”

“Would you cut me some slack?” Trent snapped, apparently too rattled to keep his cool. “You’re always on my effin’ case –!”

“Boys, calm down,” Janet intervened.

“Look, I haven’t got time for your whining,” Marcus scowled. “We need to leave. Now.”

Trent muttered something inaudible under his breath before following Marcus out like a scolded five year-old. Eric wanted to laugh so bad, but he kept it in. Lauren walked into the kitchen almost a second later.

“What the hell was that all about?” she asked incredulously. “Trent seems pissed.”

Eric shrugged. “I think someone’s getting cold feet.”

“You know, T, you don’t have to go through with this wedding if you don’t want to!” River called out purposely loud enough for his brother to hear. “You can always go back to that crazy girlfriend of yours! What was her name again …?”

Trent responded with a whole host of profanities before the sound of Marcus silencing him was heard followed by the front door slamming shut.

Their step-mom shot River an unimpressed frown. “You shouldn’t provoke him.”

“He’s my little brother … and an ass,” River said in his defence. “He deserves to be provoked every now an’ then.” When Eric chuckled at that, he shot him a look. “What’re you laughin’ about? I haven’t even started with you yet …”

Eric suddenly felt very nervous for himself. Nonchalantly, he looked down at his watch and then at Janet, “Is that the time? I should get going …”

"Stop right there." Eric turned slowly to face Janet. "Take a seat. It's time for our conversation."

"Come on, Janet," he groaned. "I thought you were kidding -"

"I was not!"

River drained the remaining contents of his orange juice before getting up from his chair.

"And where do you think you're going?" Janet stopped him. "You can sit back down also."

"Why?" he asked.

"Because I'm about to give Eric a lecture about the dangers of underage pregnancy."

Lauren, who'd been listening to all this in silence up until now, almost dropped the bowl in her hand.

“I don’t have to listen to a lecture about that,” River protested. “I’m a grown ass man.”

“I thought so, too. But judging by your confession earlier, you clearly need this as much as your little brother does. Now sit.”

Eric couldn’t help but help the triumphant smirk that crossed his lips. If he had to suffer through this embarassment, he was glad River had to, as well. Lauren, however, was one person he didn't want in the same room.

“Does she have to be here?” he asked Janet.

“Of course not, Lauren please take your food to the TV room.”

Lauren looked visibly disappointed. “But I thought you said we’re not allowed to eat in the TV room.” That was a lame excuse, and she knew it. Lauren clearly wanted a front row seat to his demolition.

"You're right," nodded Janet. "I did." She paused to think for a moment. "Very well, you can stay here. Just put on your ear phones and listen to some music while we talk."

"Of course," she nodded in obedience, attaching her ear phones to her cell and putting both buds in her ears. Whether she was actually listening to any music was another matter.

“Now," Janet began, "what you have to understand is that … sleeping around –”

Eric felt heat on the tips of his ears and was sure he was blushing. “But Janet, I didn’t –”

“No buts,” she cut in sternly. “Where was I? Ah, yes, sleeping around …”

“Oh my God,” River groaned.

“It may seem harmless enough,” Janet continued, “but even with all the forms of protection out there –”

River looked up at the ceiling. “Kill me now.”

Out of the corner of his eye, Eric suddenly spotted Lauren fiddling around with her cell phone. His stance stiffened. “Alien, are you recording this?”

“Of course not,” she promised. “Don’t mind me, I’m just listening to my music and eating my fruit salad.”

“You can never be too sure,” Janet carried on. “The risk of getting your partner pregnant is still there, no matter how careful you are.”

Eric visibly cringed. He honestly wanted to throw up.

“The sad reality is not enough boys your age realise this,” she lamented. “They just jump from one bed to another –”

“Like Eric,” River pointed out.

“What?!” Eric spluttered in outrage. “Like you, you mean –”

“Do not interrupt!” she scolded. “Now, I want you to picture something –”

“Can I picture myself somewhere else?” Eric asked.

“What did I say about interrupting?”

River threw him a glare, “Idiot.”

Janet continued. “I want you to picture the girl you’ve been sleeping around with.”

Eric slammed his head onto the breakfast table.

“I want you to picture them showing up one night at your doorstep to tell you that they’re pregnant.” She paused momentarily to look at them both. “Are you picturing it, River?”

“Of course,” he answered, but Eric could hear the mocking tone in his voice. He was obviously lying.

“Eric?” Janet asked. Since his head was still firmly on the breakfast table, she prodded him on the shoulder. “Are you picturing it?”

“The only thing I’m picturing,” Eric replied, his voice muffled, “is being somewhere far, far away from here.”

“Just imagine how you would feel. What would you do? You cannot run away, I most certainly will not allow you to abort the child …” she added sternly. “My point is, all this could have been avoided, had you been less promiscuous and more sensible.”

"Janet," The sound of Kate's voice alerted everyone to the doorway. "Rosie's calling for you. She's made this new magic wand for you, and she wants you to try it."

The look of seriousness that had been on Janet's face all this time, dissolved into a sudden smile. "She's such a sweetheart."

Kate waited until Janet was out of earshot before turning to Eric. "I suggest you both get outta here before she comes back down to continue. Your welcome, by the way."

Eric swallowed in awe. "You are ... amazing."

"Remind us to tell you that more often," River added.

Kate laughed. "It was that bad, huh?"

"I don't think I'll ever spend the night with a girl again ..."

River shot Eric a look that resembled something along the lines of 'yeah, right.' "Speak for yourself."

108 Reviews

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

Melody slipped into the library to find Lauren already sat at their usual corner, waiting. She had a knowing look in her eyes and an expectant look on her face.

“So, Eric didn’t come home last night …” It wasn’t a question; it was a statement. “And when I tried calling you both, neither one of you answered.”

“Lauren-”

“Which got me thinking …” she continued, placing a thoughtful finger to her chin, “... maybe that was because the two of you were together. But of course that would mean the two of you spent the night together, which would never happen … right?”

Melody’s guilty silence only confirmed it, before feeling a dreadful red blush creeping across her face and neck.

Lauren’s eyes widened. “This is a joke, right? Tell me you’re just messing with me.”

Melody shook her head.

Lauren immediately clapped a hand to her mouth.

“It’s not what you think,” Melody said defensively. “Nothing happened.”

“Oh, thank God!” Lauren released a sigh of utter relief. “Because that sorta thing would’ve been hard for me to keep a secret, especially with Janet around.” She paused to put a hand on Melody’s shoulder. “You should’ve seen how mad she was at Eric.”

“I heard her call this morning,” Melody said. “I tried to assure her that nothing happened.”

“Well, I don’t think she believed you, because Eric ended up getting a very long lecture about the dangers of underage pregnancy before he left for school today. I wish you’d been there to see the look on his face. It was priceless.”

Melody smirked. “His ears started turning red, didn’t they? And he was rubbing the back of his neck ?”

Lauren nodded. “At one point, he also banged his head onto the table.”

Melody recalled how he held his head in his hands when she was on the phone with Janet.

“I just remembered,” Lauren suddenly said, eyes wide in mischievous excitement. “I recorded it on my phone!”

“Seriously?” Melody asked, eyes widening in shock.

Lauren nodded eagerly. “I mean, I was supposed to be listening to music while they talked, but the opportunity was just so good to be true, I couldn’t help myself.” She reached into her pocket to pull out the phone. “Wanna see?”

“Duh.”

Giggling, Lauren brought up the video and handed it over. “I warn you, this is quite possibly one of the funniest things you’ve ever seen in your life. Try not to laugh out loud otherwise we’ll get kicked out of the library.”

“I’ll do my best,” Melody smirked.

Lauren flashed her a conspiratorial smile before pressing play.

Melody heard Eric’s voice asking, “Alien are you recording this?” When Melody gave her a questioning stare, Lauren just grinned unremorsefully, giving a careless shrug while motioning with her hands for Melody to continue listening.

Melody blushed when she heard Janet’s voice warning, “‘You can never be too sure. The risk of getting your partner pregnant is still there, no matter how careful you are. The sad reality is not enough boys your age realise this. They just jump from one bed to another –”

“‘Like Eric’,” a voice jibed, and Melody realized it was one of Eric’s older brothers.

Melody felt a jolt of shock ripple through her, but she didn’t know why. She shouldn’t have been surprised. She knew the kind of reputation Eric had had. And while they had been going out for months, that reputation hadn’t changed.

Eric scoffed in outrage as he retorted, “‘What?! “Like you, you mean –’”

But Eric’s step-mom shut him down as she snapped, ‘“Do not interrupt! Now, I want you to picture something –’”

“‘Can I picture myself somewhere else?’”

‘“What did I say about interrupting?’” Janet questioned in a no-nonsense tone that Melody remembered hearing the first time Eric had called her. She smiled, imagining the chastened look on Eric’s face.

“‘Idiot’,” Eric’s brother muttered.

“Here comes the fun part,” Lauren bragged.

“‘I want you to picture the girl you’ve been sleeping around with.’”

Melody choked as Lauren snickered. She was never going to be able to live this kind of first impression down if she ever, eventually met Janet. Despite the awkwardness of the situation, she couldn’t help but laugh as she heard a slamming thud, recalling Lauren had told Melody it was Eric banging his head against the table.

But then the laughter died on her lips as Eric’s stepmom continued, “‘I want you to picture them showing up one night at your doorstep to tell you that they’re pregnant. Are you picturing it, River?’”

Melody barely registered his replies as she thought about the real reason her mother was disowned by her own family. When Elizabeth Duquaine had been at Dunsinane University, she had met a middle class student, Russel Grey, aspiring to be a musician and they fell in love. As if the heiress to Verona’s wealthiest corporation falling in love with a middle class boy was embarrassing enough, to top it all off, she had gotten pregnant out of wedlock. Melody’s grandfather had never forgiven his own daughter for her “mistake.”

Melody squirmed uncomfortably as she thought back to the night before when she thought of the real reason Eric had brought her to his family’s cabin. She didn’t know what she feared more. Repeating her mother’s history or Eric losing interest in her if they were to cross that line. She didn’t know if it was a line either of them should cross.

Suddenly, Janet’s words snagged Melody’s attention as she advised,“‘Just imagine how you would feel. What would you do? You cannot run away, I most certainly will not allow you to abort the child…’”

Melody snorted. Where had Janet been eighteen years ago for Elizabeth’s parents to hear this? If her grandparents couldn’t agree with the first part, then they could have at least agreed with Janet’s concluding advice, “‘My point is, all this could have been avoided, had you been less promiscuous and more sensible.’”

Unaware of Melody’s ambivalent emotions, Lauren took back her phone before slipping it into her pocket. “Comedy gold right?”

“I assume this has happened more than once?” Melody asked.

“Well …” Lauren looked down almost guiltily, “something like that.”

Offering Lauren a wry smiling, Melody still felt the sting from the truth that Eric had been with other girls before...lots of girls. “It’s okay, Lauren. You don’t have to sugarcoat it. I know he’s practically the most popular guy in Verona.”

Lauren cringed a little, clearly very uncomfortable with the sudden turn of conversation. “You know what guys are like …”

Nodding, Melody answered quietly, “I do.” But Eric’s words from last night flashed through her mind. I would never push you to do anything you’re not comfortable to do. “And I know that this time with Eric, it’s different.”

“Clearly,” Lauren said. “I mean, you two spent the night together, and he didn’t even try anything. That’s a very different Eric.”

Melody laughed. “It may also have to do with my uncle trying to set me up with Bowtie. Ever since then, Eric has been escorting me to classes, making sure I get home on time, no more sneaking out. We went to the carnival a few days ago and he made me leave early so I can be home an hour before curfew. A whole hour.”

“Wow!” Lauren marvelled. “No wonder he’s been coming home early lately …”

“Did he tell you what he did a few days when we went to the carnival when I didn’t want to leave?”

Lauren shook her head, her eyes sparkling with keen interest. “Tell me.”

Melody pursed her lips, the memory of being manhandled by her boyfriend still sore. “When I didn’t leave, Eric picked me up and slung me over his shoulder.”

Lauren couldn’t help herself. She burst into a fit of giggles that almost alerted Verona’s most scariest librarian, Mrs Read.

“And people were staring, of course. I think they thought I was being kidnapped. That’s what it felt like. So his genius response to people staring? ‘It’s cool; she’s my girlfriend. Nothing to see here.’”

“Oh my God,” Lauren shook her head. “I apologise for my brother. He really is one of kind. Do you realise now, what you signed up for?”

Melody nodded with mock seriousness. “The moment I finally said yes to a date, I knew what I was getting into. Someone has to keep him in line.” Her lips curled into a smirk before she continued, “I guess he didn’t tell you what he did to the guy at the game booth.”

“Tell me everything.”

Melody smirked. “We were at the tin can game and when the guy told Eric he was a lousy shot and didn’t believe he plays football for Verona High-”

Lauren sighed. “Let me guess; he got a little too competitive?”

She nodded. “Eric pretty much robbed the guy blind. After he won a prize for me, he made sure every kid in the crowd got a prize, and he took the biggest one for Rose. When he finished, there were almost no prizes left.”

“Yep, that sounds like Eric,” Lauren confirmed. “No one calls him a lousy shot and gets away with it. I’m surprised the guy didn’t lose a tooth, as well.”

“Well, there was also a group of kids watching.”

Lauren nodded in understanding. “He got off easy then.”

Melody smirked. “Yeah, he got lucky. So…”

“So?

“Did anything interesting happen to you today?” Melody asked casually.

“Well, apart from the fact that I finally managed to finish your Juliet costume, not really …”

Melody’s face fell. “Nothing at all?”

Lauren shook her head innocently. “Nothing at all.”

Melody folded her arms, eyeing Lauren skeptically. “I don’t believe you.”

“Believe me about what?”

“That nothing interesting happened. No one said anything to you that was interesting today. No one at all?”

Melody could sense Lauren pause for a moment. “Well, there was one other thing …”

Melody smirked. “Tell me everything.”

“It’s quite shocking, actually,” she began with a wry smile. “See, I’ve been waiting for this thing to happen for a really long time, but I’ve always known that it couldn’t happen. And then this morning … it suddenly happened!”

“What was it?” Melody asked innocently, excitement mounting.

Lauren paused to look down for a moment as if she wasn’t sure whether or not she should answer that question. “It’s nothing important, really …”

“Oh, come on,” Melody prodded, impatiently rolling her eyes. “It must be really exciting. I know you want to tell me.”

“I do,” Lauren struggled, “but …”

Melody smiled. “ But what? Just tell me!”

“I just …” Lauren bit her bottom lip, “...I don’t wanna make you feel sad.”

The grin dropped from Melody’s face. “Why? Eric’s not breaking up with me, is he?”

Lauren’s eyes widened in horror. “Mel!” she exclaimed. “What made you say that?! Of course he’s not! Why on earth would I be happy about that?”

“I don’t know,” Melody murmured, cheeks red with embarrassment. “But if it’s not that, then why would I be sad?”

Lauren looked at her for a moment before releasing a long sigh. “Casey asked me to the deb ball,” she finally confessed. “I thought that would make you sad because …”

“Because Eric hasn’t asked me yet?” Melody finished for her.

Lauren nodded sheepishly.

Melody placed a hand on her shoulder. She couldn’t help it; she laughed. She recited what Lauren had told her weeks ago over the phone, “Lauren, don’t be an idiot. That’s Kelley and Ruby’s jobs.” Recognition flashed in Lauren's eyes Of course I’m happy for you. About time he asked you. It took forever.”

“I know, right?” Lauren breathed, looking relieved, “I still can’t believe he finally managed to pluck up the courage to ask me. I mean, most days he can hardly look at me for longer than 5 seconds without turning pink. I wonder what made him change his mind …”

Melody smirked. “You’re not the only one who can play matchmaker.”

It took Lauren a few seconds before the realisation dawned on her. “It was you?!” she exclaimed. “You were behind this?!” Her eyes widened once more as she spluttered, “b-but how? When?”

“Rehearsals. I talked to Casey and he told me he really liked you, which we all knew, but the only thing standing in his way was Eric. I tried talking to Eric and he was hard to get through to. But, we made a bet a few days ago, and he lost. The agreement was that the loser had to do what the winner said for a whole day. So yesterday, I had Casey meet us at lunch while you fixed Bobby’s costume, and Eric had to let Casey know it was okay for him to ask you out. Pretty genius right?”

Lauren, who had been listening to all this with a mixture of intrigue and embarrassment, nodded in agreement. “That is genius … and very devious.”

“Eric got lucky. Because if he didn’t start to listen..”

“Let me guess, you’d use your black belt against him?”

“Maybe,” Melody said with a shrug.

“Thanks Mel,” she said with genuine appreciation, “you’re my bestie, you know that?”

Melody felt her jaw drop and she wasn’t sure she’d heard Lauren right. She felt a foreign sensation in her chest, something that felt both heavy and light simultaneously , like a burden against her heart had been lifted. What was strange wasn’t the fact that she experienced, but rather Lauren had been the reason. Usually, only Eric made her feel that way. Melody realized the reason she was not just affected, but moved, was because Lauren called her her best friend. She hadn’t had a friend in a long time, and definitely not a best friend.

The light and feathery feeling of hope sparked inside of Melody as she asked, “What did you just say? For a minute, it sounded like you just said I was your bestie…”

Lauren quirked a brow in a way that reminded her of Eric. “That’s exactly what I said.”

“But why? And how?”

Lauren just stared at her for a moment before bursting into laughter. “You’re not seriously asking me that, are you?” She shook her head in amusement and added lightly, “Mel, if you don’t wanna be my bestie, you can just say so.”

“Of course I do,” Melody murmured, her ears turning pink and her cheeks flaming with embarrassment.

“Good because I wouldn’t have listened to you, anyway,” she winked.

Next, Lauren did the unthinkable: she reached over and hugged Melody. She grew rigid in the embrace, arms still trapped by her sides, unsure of what to do. With a jolt, Melody realized she hadn’t been embraced by anyone except Eric in almost two years. Not even her uncle. The most he had done was awkwardly pat her shoulder or hold her at arm’s length. This was her first real hug On their own accord, Melody’s muscles relaxed, and she reciprocated the hug. Appreciation burned through her as one though circled through her mind. I have a friend. A best friend.

130 Reviews

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:00 pm
*coco says...

Eric, Bobby and Logan were sat at their usual table in the cafeteria. Eric, still very much disturbed by the lecture he had received from Janet earlier in the morning, simply stared at the toy baby Kelley had only just dropped off.

“Is it me or is this thing getting uglier every time I look at it?” he suddenly asked out loud.

Bobby quirked a brow before pointing out, “It’s a doll, E.”

But Eric hardly heard him. He was so consumed by his step-mom’s words that only one decision came to mind.

“I’m never having kids.”

Bobby spluttered into his drink, clearly taken aback.

“Where did that come from?” he asked.

Logan rolled his eyes. “He’s been sayin’ weird crap like that, all morning.” He turned to face Eric, with a questioning look. “You feelin’ okay?”

Eric let out a sigh. “I’ll be fine …”

“Good.”

“… just as long as I don’t get anyone pregnant from now until the rest of my life –”

“And there he goes again.”

Bobby’s earlier confusion turned to amusement as realisation dawned on him. “Janet gave you ‘the talk,’ didn’t she?”

Eric turned his head to face his friend and nodded solemnly. “It’s still burning my ears, Bobby. And my brain.”

His friend only smirked. “That means it did the trick.”

“If it makes you feel any better,” began Logan, “you’re doing a lot better than Casey did. When his mom gave him the talk, he couldn’t look at girls for over a week.”

Just as Logan had said this, Casey approached their table, looking rather pleased with himself.

“Speak of the devil …” Logan smirked.

“D’you do it?” asked Eric.

Casey suddenly looked nervous. “Well, yeah, I asked her. I mean, you did give me permission, right? Oh no, did you change your mind –?”

“I’m not talking about Lauren!” cut in Eric, irritably. “I’m talking about Reese.”

Oh!” Casey heaved a sigh of relief, “Yeah, I took care of Reese. I stole his History paper when he wasn’t looking, and now Mr Roman’s making him spend the whole of lunch rewriting it. Poor dude’s confused as Hell.”

“Remind me again why we did that?” questioned Bobby.

Eric rolled his eyes as if it were the most obvious question in the world. “So we can start looking for his next girlfriend without him knowing about it, duh.”

“Not this again …” Bobby shook his head in amusement. “You do know when Eva finds out you did this she’ll kill you.”

Eric scoffed. “Let her try.”

The next fifteen minutes were spent scanning the cafeteria for possible candidates.
“What about Robin?” Eric asked, his eyes lingering on a petite, raven-haired girl with big brown eyes.

Bobby shook his head. “She’s too short. You know how Reese feels about short people.”

“He doesn’t trust them,” Eric finished. It made zero sense but to each his own, he supposed.

“What about Kylie?” offered Casey, his gaze on a blue-eyed blonde of medium height.

“Yeah, I’ve heard she’s not into guys ...” Logan smirked.

Eric quirked an intrigued brow at that, but decided against questioning further. His eyes continued to roam the place for another possible choice. His attention was caught by a very attractive brunette sitting next to Kelley.

“Jade is pretty attractive.”

“And she’s also in a relationship with a college guy,” intervened Bobby, “a really scary college guy.”

Eric gritted his teeth. “Great.”

“Let’s face it,” sighed Casey, “none of these girls can compete with Eva.”

But Eric remained determined. “They can. We just haven’t found the one yet.”

hmmm. you know, the quote generator deserves some garlic bread
— SilverNight