z

Young Writers Society

bluewaterlily and dragon writer fantatic story(no title)

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:51 pm
MilkNCookies says...

I was in a dark room, so dark to the point it almost seemed like I was floating. Three people stood around me; another boy and two girls. A tall lady stood in front of me. She had wispy white hair, a set jaw, and eyes like crystal clear water. She donned a white robe that stretched to her white, short heels.

"You have all been chosen, for different reasons. For your creativity and improvisation skills-" She said, pointing to one of the girls. She wore a simple pink nightgown, with a smooth face and seemingly perfect features."For your intelligence and reasoning skills-" She pointed to the other boy, who was wearing torn, huge garments. He was also seemingly missing several teeth. "For your cunning and strength-" She pointed to me. My chest swelled in front of me. "And for your honesty and modesty." She pointed to the girl standing next to me. She was pretty, though nothing like the other girl. She also had clear callouses on her hands. You must trust me. I am the spirit of Ghanan, the king of dragons. You are my four children. You will lead normal lives- of coarse, until you are fifteen. Old enough to live on your own." I froze in the thought. Next week was my own fifteenth birthday. "You have the same birthdays for a reason. You will meet at a predetermined location, by coincidence. Meaning you will not know that you will meet, though I will." She outstretched four hands. I was the first to give her mine- followed by the girl next to me, the other girl, and the other boy. A silver light twirled around her. I let out in involuntary chuckle at the sensation that came over me. I blinked my eyes, and we were in a shop. It was nothing like the armor shop I worked at- more like a giant ballroom, in worse condition. A single pick nick table lied in the center; on it rested four polished stones. I anxiously trotted up to the table- as did my fellows.

"These will be your partners. Each of these eggs contains a single dragon- and one here is the right on for you." She strode over.

"In each of these eggs lay a dragon- ferocious and strong. Cunning and smart. Will pay their lives for you. Your bond with your own dragon will be stronger than anything else you ever experience- you will love it more than any of your family. Now, pick your egg." We each looked at the eggs on the table. the one that lay before me was a brownish mush color, and it looked solemn and still. The one in front of the person next to we was a light, pale pink. Small winds seemed to come from it. A small blue one lay on the opposite end of the table. I wandered over, staring at the intricate waves that washed over it. It shook from time to time, and the small waves moved and crashed along the surface. Without haste, I laid my hand on it. I knew that it was the one for me.

A small crack emerged on the smooth surface.
Last edited by MilkNCookies on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

49 Reviews

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 pm
MilkNCookies says...

any q's feel free to pm me!

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:27 pm
bluewaterlily says...

We watched in quiet shock as a blue baby dragon emerged from the egg, coated in a sticky, thick goo. The dragon was turquoise, the color of the sea. Tentatively, the boy stretched out his hand to touch the dragon's damp head. Then something amazing happened. A bight blue symbol-like a wave- appeared on the boy's hand. Alarmed, he drew back his hand and looked at the woman for an answer. The wave- like symbol glowed brightly.

"Don't worry," she reassured him. "There are four eggs-one for each element. You chose the blue egg- the element of water. When you touched your dragon, the symbol for the element of water appeared on your hand, signifying you are the partner of the Water Dragon." The boy just nodded, allowing the information to sink in. "Now go to your dragon-after all he is your partner." Her eyes twinkled with amusement. The boy slowly approached the dragon. Gently, he scooped him up, and the dragon snuggled against his chest. He smiled at his dragon, face glowing with pride and tenderness. The woman watched him in satisfaction, giving a nod of approval. Then she turned her attention to us,

"When you touch your dragon, the symbol of the dragon's element will appear on your hands, too. Do not be alarmed. I suppose I should have warned you of what to expect. But it doesn't hurt. Right, Cleo?" The boy nodded distractedly. All three of us nodded to let the woman know we understood. She turned to me.

“Now it is your turn to pick your egg. Are you ready?" Everyone-including Cleo- looked at me. I nodded and proceeded to the table.

Three more eggs. But which one was mine? The first egg was a silvery-clear egg with gentle swirls running threw it. I assumed the egg was the one that contained the Air Dragon. Could this one be the one for me? Excited, I lay my hand on the cool, flat surface. Nothing happened. I moved onto the next egg-a green one- with zigzagging ripples that reminded me of grass swaying in the breeze, so I knew this one was the Earth Dragon's egg. When I layed my hand on it, but nothing happened, much to my frustration. One egg remained, a deep fiery orange one. My last hope. Strange patterns-like flames -flickered across it. I placed my hand on its warm surface.

Immediately, the heat intensified, and I was filled with a sense of warmth and longing. Under my hand, I could feel the cracks beginning to form. I moved my hand just in time, for my dragon emerged from the egg. My dragon was bright orangey-red with soft features unlike Cleo's dragon whom had angular, prominent features, so I assumed my dragon was female.

Gently, I touched her head and watched in fascination as a pattern appeared on my palm-a flame- like symbol- that burned vibrant red. The woman was right, the mark didn't hurt, but I could still feel it. The mark felt warm, and the heat spread throughout me. Overcome by that sense of warmth and yearning, I picked the dragon up and hugged her to my chest as a smile broke across my face. My heart felt like it would burst from the affection and pride I felt for my dragon. I knew everyone was looking at me, but I didn’t see or acknowledge them; it was just my dragon and I, and I understood how Cleo felt when his dragon hatched.

I was vaguely aware of the other boy next to me being called up. His face was white with excitement but also a hint of anxiety. I smiled at him encouragingly. He mustered a small smile and stepped forward.
Last edited by bluewaterlily on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

49 Reviews

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:39 am
MilkNCookies says...

The dragon lay snuggled against my chest. I was faintly aware of the girl next to me holding a orange dragon, and also that she had a tracing of a flame on her hand. The two others went after, though I didn't really see them. My dragon was small, with roughly fifteen spiked running down it's back. There was a small gap between the one on it's neck and the one on it's head.

"You all have your element.You will also learn the art of magic, though you will never be able to manipulate another element. You will learn all of the terms before facing your destiny." Turning to the fire-girl and me, The lady barked, "You are the main elements. The others may aid you in certain cases, but any main fights will be up to you two. You," She said, pointing to the girl, "Are designed for destruction. To allow the circle to carry on. You," She pointed to me, "are designed to cancel out fire, as fire you. You are calm, and never kill. Willingly." The dragon was slowly falling asleep in my arms, and I swung my legs(I'm sitting on the table) and rocked it.

"What shall I name this magnificent beast?" I asked myself. I felt a strange... connection between us.

Cleo, He asked.

"That's my name, you can't have it."

Cleo,

"You can't have it."

Cleo,

"You must pick another, youngling." I though back to history class, where we had learned of magnificent beasts. "There's Droghth, Zarknow, and the mighty hustin," He did not reply, so I went on. "Quhun, Tomixian, Gerackoriich,"

Tomixian, It asked.

"He was a scrawny little one, which you don't seem to be." i warned, looking over at the others. The other boy had a male dragon, as it seemed, but it was much smaller. My own dragon was about the size of my head, curled up into a ball.

More, He pleaded.

"Well, he was an earth dragon. His rider was Yerichun, a master mage. When Yerichun died, Tomixian fled to the desert, where he was though to have died. Some say her flew up to the sun, to be reborn as a fire dragon. All we know is that he fled, and died in grief."

How?

"Yerichun and Tomixian were fighting Quhun and his own rider, Feudlenost. Tomixian was busy fighting Quhun, and Yerichun was stabbed."

Tomixian,He insisted.

"Why?" He waited a bit, finding his words. I could feel him looking through my own mental dictionary.

He was loyal to his master. I will be too. But I will not let you die.

"Tomixian it is." He snuggled against my chest, and settled for sleep.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His nickname can be tomix- next post I mane we will be in the 'dream', but not the same room.

~Dr.Seuss.

108 Reviews

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:31 am
bluewaterlily says...

And you are designed for destruction. The woman's words echoed in my head like a haunting melody. I couldn't believe how my destiny had changed in just a few hours. One particular thing was bothering me, though. The woman had said Cleo would never have to kill willingly. Did that meant that I would have to kill? The thought was too much to bear and threatened to make my breakfast come back up. The sleeping dragon shifted uneasily in her sleep, as if affected by my conflicted feelings. I rocked her and pressed her even closer to my chest, feeling like a protective mother. Slowly, she calmed. Then I remembered she didn't have a name.

"What to name you," I said mainly to myself. The dragon awoke and shifted postions, so her head was looking directly at me. Two red, intelligent eyes stared at me.

"What about Fira?" I asked. "She was a strong, proud dragon queen, and she was a Fire Dragon like you. Or Serafina whom was a Water Dragon, but she was one of the bravest dragons ever-even among the male dragons. What do you say?" I waited for a reply, but there was none. Instead, I felt a presence in my mind.

No, a regal, queenly voice said in my mind. I want my own unique name. My dragon had spoke to me in my mind! The woman said we would be able to communicate with our dragons, but I thought she had meant verbally, not mentally. I yelped and almost dropped my dragon. She squealed indignantly and blew a small cloud of hot, acid smoke in my face. I coughed and used one hand to blow the fumes away, careful not to drop-or almost drop- my dragon. When the smoke had cleared, I could see everyone was staring at me with concern.

"Are you all right, Iva? What happened?"

"I'm fine," I murmured, blushing. "I didn't know I could speak to my dragon mentally." They all stared at me like I was the world's biggest fool.I certainly felt like it, though.

"Well, Iva," the woman said, "what do you think I meant when I said you could communicate with your dragon?" I didn't reply, but stared at the floor. The woman let it go, and in a few minutes, everyone returned their attentions back to their dragons. Inwardly, I felt a surge of gratitude for the woman for not making me appear like a bigger fool.

I shifted my attention back to finding a proper name for my dragon. I could think of dozens of names for famous female dragons, but I knew she would not settle for another dragon's name. Already, I could tell she had a fiery personality. But what would be the right name for her? For several minutes, I thought long and hard, and when I was convinced I was never going to find a name fitting for my dragon, a possible name came to me. I thought it sounded lovely and suited her personality, but I wasn't sure if my dragon liked it.

"Do you like Fyra?" I asked.

Fyra, she repeated, and from her tone, I could tell she liked the name. I am Fyra.

"Yes," I whispered as she leaned into my chest contentedly. "You're my Fyra."
Last edited by bluewaterlily on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

49 Reviews

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:15 pm
MilkNCookies says...

"Its time to go back to your home.You'll see each other tomorrow, don't worry. You will see each other every night, in your dreams. But be prepared, this is a far from a dream as real life is. Friday, you shall be taken to Ulnrich, Jinyo, Duley, and Fredrich for your training. Each of them are dragon riders and friends. They shall choose you according to their on element." The lady dictated. I slowly felt a tug on the dragon. I clasped him tighter and held on with my mind.But slowly... the pull became unbearable.

"Tomixian!" I shrieked, tempting to hold my ground but ultimately failing. He was likewise trying to get to me, but pulling with his mind.

I woke up in my bed. I was sweat drenched.It must have been a dream, I though. Oh? quote on quote 'this is far from a dream as real life is' end quote.Another corner said. With all my heart, I hoped this part of me was correct.

~Dr.Seuss.

108 Reviews

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:56 pm
bluewaterlily says...

I held Fyra closer to me. The mental bond between us was growing weaker. It was like a string connecting us to one another that was stretched so taut it was snapping. Desperately, I threw all my mind and my strength at Fyra, trying to keep the mental connection between us, but it was too much and caused that string to snap. A burst of excruciating pain exploded in my mind, and an involuntary scream escaped my mouth. For several minutes, my head throbbed like a drum. When I could think again, I called out to Fyra in my mind. I felt a faint connection between us, and I could feel how terrified and concerned for me she was. It also felt like she was trying to communicate with me, but couldn't. And then connection faded, just like that.

Then I bolted up in bed. My forehead was damp with sweat, tears of pain and fear streamed down my cheeks, and my head still throbbed. I couldn't tell if it was a dream or if it was reality. Maybe it was just a bad dream ,I told myself. I should be able to call Fyra now. She can calm me down. Fyra, I called. No response. She probably didn’t hear me, I reassured myself, despite the panic gripping my heart. Fyra! I yelled, but she didn't answer.
Last edited by bluewaterlily on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

49 Reviews

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:25 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Two days later
The school day was slow. All I could think abut was seeing Tomix later, since it was Friday. For real, like I would never have to be apart from him. The day could never go slower. I walked into my small house, where mom was cutting up cabbage and carrots from our garden.

"How was school today?" She asked, never looking up.

"Good," I replied. I called for Tomix again, though I could just feel his consciousness but not talk(PS blue- he can't really).

"You got some mail today." She voiced, handing me the letter while still chopping. I hastily opened it, since it said it was from the spirit of Ghanan.

Cleo, I am pleased to tell you it is time. Meet me and your fellows at john Rych park, which is fairly close to you all. Your dragons will be there. Another note was tucked in there. It was foraged, of a surprise party invitation for my best friend, George. I took that out, and handed it to mom.

"Go. I'll see you at five." She mumbled. I dumped my backpack, and ran in a full sprint to the park.

~Dr.Seuss.

108 Reviews

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:34 pm
bluewaterlily says...

Two days passed in a blur. I was so worried about Fyra that I was barely able to function. I only felt her presence at night in my dreams and neither one of us could speak to the other. All we could feel was each other’s fright and concern for one another. I thought I would go insane with worry, but Friday when I came home from school, a letter was waiting for me on the kitchen table. It was from Ghanan. Hastily, I picked it up and tore it open.

It read: Iva, it is time. Meet me and the three other dragon riders at John Rych Park. Your dragon will be there. Please come as soon as possible. I didn't need to be told twice. I broke into a run and I didn’t stop until I reached the park. I knew I was covered in sweat and my hair was probably disheveled, but I didn't care how I looked. All that mattered to me right now was finding Fyra.

Cleo was at the park. His hair was tousled and slightly damp with sweat, and he was holding his dragon. The other three dragon riders were there, too, along with their dragons. However, they weren't the only ones at the park. Four dragon riders stood not too far from them with their dragons. But unlike our dragons, these were fully matured dragons. The four of them wore a robe the color of their dragon's element. Standing next to the four experienced dragon riders was Ghanan. And Ghanan was holding...

"Fyra!" I cried. I couldn't help myself, even though I was sure everyone was looking at me. I rushed to Ghanan, took Fyra from her, and hugged her fiercely to my chest. My relief mingled with Fyra's, and for the first time in two days, I relaxed.
Last edited by bluewaterlily on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

49 Reviews

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:25 pm
MilkNCookies says...

I saw the girl coming up behind me. I had Tomix snuggled against my chest, before I remembered my manners. I placed him on the ground, much to his discontentment, and bowed to the two men and the two ladies in front of me in turn. I bowed especially long to the water mage in front of m. She stood my a silver-white dragon, who looked over at me.

"Cleomonath, is it?" She asked.

"Cleo, my lady, I would prefer."

"I would prefer you calling me master whilst you are with me, Cleo. And who is this noble beast?" She asked.

"Tomixian, My L- Master."

Tomixian, the legendary beast who killed himself to be with his master. It will be a pleasure meeting you again, Tomix.

"Where have all the years gone, Ying?" Master mumbled. "Well, I am Feudlenost. You will only call me in extremely dire situations. It is my true name, so with that you can bind me to anything. I am only telling you this because of your steed, Tomix. You may call me Lay'lani for introducing me, or anything else that calls the need."

"Master, do I have a true name?"

"Everyone and everything has a true name, though we have another we use on casual occasions. For you, it is Cleo. We have not found your true name, though I do have an overwhelming suspicion." I picked up Tomix again. The girl, who was the smart one, came up to me.

"My name is Iva. Cleo, is it?"

"Yes, my lady." I replied.

"Cleo, we must force you out of that habit. To most, that is the term used to address your spouse." Lay'lani voiced. I nodded, crimson blossoming on my cheeks.

"Yes... Iva."

"Pleasure to meet you." She said, sticking out a hand. I placed Tomix on the ground and shook it.

"You've been taught all wrong, Cleo. Why a lady gives her hand, you kiss it." Lay'lani instructed. I kissed her hand quickly, and Tomix bowed from the floor. I saw her dragon do the same.

"Your parents were sent a note about your dragons, and your task. Shall we depart? You shall ride on your master's dragon." Ghanan asked.

"Yes," I voiced.

"Yes," Iva replied. The other two agreed also. Lay'lain showed me how to mount, and I sat behind her with Tomix in my hands. I saw the others follow.

"Let us be off!" She commanded. The wind in my face, blowing against my hair- it was amazing. I held onto Tomix, and I felt the same thrill coming through our bond. Slowly, we settled out, and we flew.

Blue, you can be either at the town in your post or still in the air. Whichever. sorry for the long post!

~Dr.Seuss.

108 Reviews

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:55 am
bluewaterlily says...

Don't worry, Dragon. Your post wasn't even that long.

I followed my master, *Saraia, to her dragon, as she mounted. When she was seated in her dragon's saddle, she offered me her hand. Carefully placing Fyra on my shoulder, I took my master's hand as she easily pulled me into the saddle. Once I was seated, her dragon took off. The sensation of flying was amazing. The wind rushed past my face and whooshed through my hair, causing it whip across my face, and making me wish that I had bound it. Aside from that, the feeling of flying was magical. I had never felt so free in my life; I felt as light and as carefree as feather carried by the breeze. I laughed softly, and my master turned to me, a understanding smile on her face.

"Flying is wonderful, isn't it?" she asked, I nodded in agreement. "I never tire of flying," she said wistfully, as she laid a hand affectingly on her dragon. "If you enjoy the sensation of flying now, wait until your dragon is big enough to carry you." All though, I liked Fyra being small so I could hold her, I couldn't wait until Fyra was big enough for me to ride on. Then I realized I couldn't feel our mental connection, and panic gripped me. Instinctively, I looked down at Fyra, whom was sleeping in my arms. Inwardly, I cursed myself for being so paranoid. Nothing was going to happen to her. I wouldn't allow it.

Fyra began to stir, and I cursed myself again for waking her up.

You're worried, she intoned with a hint of concern in her voice.

I couldn't feel the bond between us and I thought...I though we lost our mental connection again, I replied, feeling foolish. Fyra nuzzled my arm gently with her snout.

We're together now and nothing is going to separate us, she reassured me. Then shifting in my arms, Fyra closed her eyes and fell asleep again.

I focused my attention on enjoying the flight. We flew over vast fields for what felt like forever, and when my eyes started to feel heavy, we began to descend. I could make out a village in the distance that became clearer as we got closer. In a few minutes, we landed, The other three Dragon Riders were at the edge of the village, waiting for us. My master gracefully slid off her dragon and held out her hand to help me. Gently, I nudged Fyra awake, placed her on my shoulder, and took my master's cool hand. My muscles felt taut, and I knew they would be sore in the morning. Normally, I would have taken Fyra off my shoulder and carried her, but I didn't have the energy too. She seemed to understand, because she didn't protest. The others were ahead of me--except my master.

"Hurry, Iva," she said. "You will be able to rest soon enough, but you will have to wait awhile." Then she turned, catching up easily with the others. Mustering my last bit of energy and strength, I hastened to follow.

*Saraia. I just needed a name. You can name her if you want to.

49 Reviews

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:06 pm
MilkNCookies says...

I'm giving you control of her, since you are her student, just how I have control of whats-her-name my teacher. Lay'lani

I stopped, looking back at the girl with he fire dragon. Tomix stopped too, watching me curiously. I waited until she caught up, and I let her lean on my arm.

"What do you think about this?" I asked her, gazing to the town in the distance. It seemed to be a forest.

"I... don't know what to think, really. Be happy, since I have Freya?" She asked. The dragon chirped a bit. "Or be sad since I left my whole life behind?"

"At least we feel the same way." I admitted, slowing a bit to give her a comfortable pace. An even silence spread over us, as we walked on the path, stepping in and out of the adult dragon's footprints. Our own two dragons danced, play-fighting as they went along. We noticed the other people in front of us stop, waiting at a tree. We hurried up.

"...and Iva. We have them with us, we just have to get in to Blatgethro. I have Yarruch's ring as a symbol of my truthfulness." Ghanan spoke, seemingly to thin air. A man stepped out from the forest behind us. He had short, blond hair that laid flat all around his face. His silver pupils darted to each of our faces. I noticed his ears came to gentle tips.

"Saria, Lay'lani,Gervy,and Jolen. The new ones, to be trained; Cleomonth, Iva, Rachel, and Nevvie. The all-powerful dragons. The spirit of Ghanan. We welcome you into Blatgethro, our city. May you never experience problems, and you call this your safe haven." He knocked peculiarly on a huge oak tree, and it split in two, swinging open. It looked like a portal, and you could see a lively town in the center. He stepped in, followed by the others. Only the adult dragons had difficulty getting in.

"Ladies first," I said to Iva, and let her step in before entering myself.

~Dr.Seuss.

108 Reviews

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:10 am
bluewaterlily says...

I followed the others through the portal. When we stepped out the portal, I couldn’t believe the stunning sight I was seeing. The town itself seemed to be a forest. Trees flanked the town's sides, and the roads were literally beaten paths from hundreds of years worth of trampling. Lanterns with little jets of fire flickering in them dangled from the trees, like miniature stars. The paths branched out and curved in complex ways. We passed multiple houses with intricate architecture. Every house we passed was at least two stories, and had domes, columns, and elegantly curved roofs.

The farther we ventured, the less populated the town was. We soon came to an area on the outskirts of the village. The only buildings that could be seen were four wide towers with an additional cavern-shaped building connected to each one. A dragon the color of each master's dragon twirled around each tower. We were brought to a halt, and the masters and their dragons stood by the tower that belonged to them.

"The tower where your master stands is where you will during your training," the elf-man said. "You and your dragon will live in the cavern part of the building and your master and his or her dragon lives in the tower. So has been the custom for hundreds of years." Only, then did I realize how old the towers appear to be, unlike the town's elaborate, new houses.

"You may go to your masters now." After saying this, the elf-man stalked off into the night. Before we did as instructed, we all bowed to each other. I was the last to bow to Cleo. After Fyra had bowed to Cleo's dragon, I scooped her up.

"Good night, Cleo," I said.

"Good night, Iva," he replied. Picking his dragon up again, he hurried to his master, and I did likewise.

"Master Saraia,"I said, placed Fyra on the ground and then bowed to my master and and then to her dragon. Fyra likewise showed Master Saraia and her dragon the same courtesy. Both bobbed their heads as a reply.

"You may retire to your rooms. I imagine you are both tired now. Make sure you both sleep well tonight, for tomorrow your training begins."

"Yes, Master," I replied, bowing again. After that, Ipicked Fyra up again and walked around to the side of the tower where the cavern-like room was. On the door was the same fire symbol on my hand. I pushed it open. I t was so wide an adult dragon could have easily passed through it. the inside was equally spacious. There were two rooms, the bedchamber, and the wshing room. The bedchamber was pretty bare except for a bed for me and a large cushion on the floor that could sit a fully matured dragon. I assumed this was for when Fyra was fully matured. I set her down on the cushion. I was so tired I decided to investigate the washroom tomorrow. Fyra sprawled out and yawned lazily, rings of smoke escaping her mouth. I laughed as I watched her. Then I slipped into my own bed.

Even though I was exhausted, my mind refused to allow me to sleep. I kept thinking about everything that has happened since Fyra hatched. I thought about Ghanan's words "And you are designed for destruction." I thought about how I wouldn't see my friends and family for a long time. I thought how my training would begin tomorrow. And I thought about how the mental connection between Fyra and I might fade again. This thought was too much to bear. I slipped out of bed and then settled next to Fyra of the cushion. Through our mental bond, I felt her surprise and pleasure. But I knew she could sense my anxieties.

As long as we're together, then we'll be alright, Iva, she reassured me. I nodded, wondering why I kept feeling foolish and pessimistic. But Fyra seemed to understand.

It's only right you should feel the way you do after how much your life as changed in the past few days, but as overtime you'll adapt, she reassured me again. I smiled at her, feeling calmer. A wave of Fyra's satisfaction washed over me through our connection.

Now get some sleep, she told me. Once I was in a comfortable position, Fyra snuggled against my
my chest, and we both fell into a fitful sleep.

49 Reviews

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:07 pm
MilkNCookies says...

I lay on the uncomfortable bed, sleep far from my troubled thoughts. My thought kept wandering to how I had used a stick for defense, once and almost killed the boy with more than the stick. My hand moved like lightning, the stick with an edge of sharp frost. By the time my stick broke, he was in the corner, cowering.

Sleep, Cleo. I will not let the bad dreams in. Tomix assured me. With him humming a melody in my head, I fell into a rough sleep.

I woke at dawn, like I always did at the farm.I wandered the towers, the winding dragons faintly visible from the many windows. Lay'lani was awake in her library, her head in a book. She lay against her dragon, what was his name?.... Ying. Right.

Something troubles your thoughts. He told me, like I didn't already know. His deep, raspy voice stuck in my head.

"Master?" I asked. Lay'lani slid her bookmark against the crease, before closing the book.

"Yes, Cleo?"

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked, striding against the room with Tomix behind me. I eventually sat in a chair, a respective distance from her.

"Ask away, for it is in questions we find answers."

"Well, when I was seven, give or take, a bully pushed me down into the snow. It... gave me anger. Hope. The desire to fight him, not just give up. I would say it was the air, the stiffness and the cold I knew and loved so much... but now I know. It was the snow itself. I grabbed a stick from my side, and it moved by it's own accord. I mean, it was in my hand, but I had never fought like that. I never knew what I was going to do next. A thick frost had come over it, making it more like a mace. By the time the poor stick broke, he was cowering in the snow, his friends running." I explained.

"That is not a question, Cleo, but certainly a tale worth telling. That was Herfent grande, In the elves language, and roughly translated to this language, defense magic. It occurs to a young Mage, when his-"

Or her, Ying interrupted.

"Or her element is about. It causes you to do things not humanly possible. Has this happened any other times?" She asked.

"No, but after that I could feel the snow. And roughly predict weather, especially if it was going to rain. My parents accepted it as a sixth sense, and none of us guessed it could be magic, because I never told them the story."

"We will get you fitted for a sword immediately. It will do you good to practice, because if your Herfent grande came out through sword, or stick, fighting, you'll be a good one." She chortled, getting up and putting her book on a table. "Firstly, let's get your friend Iva and Saraia. She'll want Iva fitted, also." Ying got up after her, following her master out the huge doors. I followed quickly behind, secretly excited.

~Dr.Seuss.

108 Reviews

Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:16 am
bluewaterlily says...

Iva, wake up. I groaned and rolled on my side, trying to ignore it. Iva! Fyra nudged meuntil I reluctantly opened my eyes. Slowly, I sat up. Well it took you long enough to wake up, she said tartly. Good morning to you, too, I replied, trying to be annoyed, but really I was amused. Master Saraia wants you to meet her soon, so hurry and get dressed. I nodded in response. An orange robe with the fire symbol embroidered on it was splayed out on my bed. I grabbed it and hurried into the washing room.

I was impressed with the washing room. An oval mirror hung on the wall above the countertop. On the countertop was a pitcher of water. Cupping water in my hands, I splashed it on my face. The cool water made my skin tingle and sharpened my alertness. I knew I was supposed to hurry, but the tub intrigued me greatly. There were two metal nozzles on the tub and metal pipes could be seen across the room. Curiously, I turned one of the nozzles and a sound erupted from the pipes as water gushed out the nozzle. Remembering I mustn't keep Master Saraia waiting, I quickly turned the nozzle off, stripped out of my travel-worn clothes, and slipped into the silky robe. The robe moved freely and felt like water. It was so nice compared to my woolen clothes. Irrigated baths, silky robes, I could get use to this, I though happily.

I left the washing room, scooped Fyra up, and headed outside. Master Saraia was waiting outside with her dragon, placing Fyra on the ground, I bowed to my master and her dragon. She nodded. "I trust you slept well?"

"Yes, Master," I replied. Again, she nodded. "Come, Iva, you're to be fitted for a sword." She and her dragon turned, and I picked Fyra up again and hurried to follow. For a few minutes, we walked until we reached the tower with the blue dragon.
Cleo, his dragon, and his master, Lay'lani, I believe her name was there too. They were standing near a table with several swords on it.

"Iva, this is Master Lay'lani and her dragon, Ying." Fyra and I bowed to each of them. They both dipped their heads. Then I turned to Cleo.

"Cleo,” I said, curtsying.

"Iva," he relied politely, bowing as our dragons did the same thing. After we exchanged greetings, Lay'lani cleared her throat. We focused our attention on her.

"Iva, do you know why you are here?"

"No, Master Lay'lani," I replied. She swept her hand to the direction of the tables. "These swords were made for future dragon riders. You and Cleo will find the swords that is right for you."

"How will I know which one is the right sword for me?" I blurted out, forgetting my manners. Roses of embarrassment blossomed in my cheeks, but she just smiled.

Her eyes sparkled with amusement. Trust me you'll know."

Cleo nodded at me then the table. "Ladies first," he said. I nodded and proceeded to the table.

There were three fire element swords. The first one was more of a red color, with a slightly curved blade and ruby encrusted hilt. I picked it-or at least tried to- since it was so heavy. Oh well, I though as it hit the table with a clank, it was too fancy for my type, anyway. The second sword was a deeper orange and was wider than the first. I lifted it, and though it was lighter than the first sword, it was still heavy. Carefully, I laid it back down on the table, despite how my muscles protested as I did so. I studied the last sword. It's blade was bright orange, and the way the light reflected off it reminded me of flickering flames. I wrapped my hand around the comfortable hilt, and I lifted it. I knew this was the sword for me. Not only did it feel like an extension of my arm, but also like a sixth sense- a part of me I never knew was there until now. I could feel magic flowing through me, and I lifted the sword even higher as it glowed brilliantly.

Act in the valley so that you need not fear those who stand on the hill.
— Danish proverb