z

Young Writers Society

Lost In The Woods

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri May 21, 2010 10:09 pm
SisterItaly says...

I was getting close, just a few more trees. I remembered the day i woke up, three years ago. I don't know what had happened, but i woke up in the woods, cold, alone and afraid. All i remembered was that my name is Friday. I found it an odd name but i loved it. I automatically got to work on a shelter and built a dig out for myself. But today i was going fishing.

I jumped down from the tree, landing perfectly on my feet. I ran to the pond and looked in. the sun was reflecting of the calm waters. Bah! calm, not for long. I took a nice long look, my clothes all ripped and torn, my light blond hair all tangled an messy, my face covered in dirt, i looked into my deep green eyes. Fighting for dominance of the water, i spotted one, a good big fish. I ran into the water and dived in. I opened my eyes under water, everything was foggy, but i could see the shadows of the fish. I surfaced and stood, the water was up to my waist. I let it calm, holding my wooden spear ready.

I felt a fish brush up against my leg. Good, they were coming closer. I jabbed the spear into the water, when i pulled it out a fish wiggling at the end. I pulled him off and got onto shore. he was a big guy! I ran back to my dig out. I set him on the piece of tarp i had found, to keep him clean. I started a fire and changed into my only other pair of clothes. I lost the rest the day i woke up.

I put him on a roast i made. So he could cook. I brushed my hair out with my fingers. I heard a branch snap, whatever was coming it was big enough to be a threat. I pulled the fish off the fire and threw sand on it, to put it out. I put the fish on the tarp, i would get back to that later. I jumped into my dig out and pulled out my hunting knife, this was my best one, took me a month to make. I held it ready to strike. As soon as the source of the noise came out of the trees i was on him, pinning him down with the knife to his throat. I gasped, another human?
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri May 21, 2010 11:17 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

I gasped, looking up at the smudged, tanned face. I eyed the bone dagger, pressed so dangerously to my throat. Would she really do it, pull the blade across my neck and kill me? As rugged as her appearance, it looked like she had been here, in these woods, for a while.

I held my hands near my face so she could see them. "Okay, lady. Relax."

She shifted, withdrawing cautiously. She stood a little out of reach and watched me with wild, threatening eyes as I got to my feet. My pack was dislodged uncomfortably, half of my supplies either askew within the satchel or laying on the ground behind me.

"Who are you?" she asked.

Thank God she knew English. "Derrick Olson. I'm from Seattle." I gestured toward her. "And you? What are you doing so far out here?"
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

66 Reviews

Sat May 22, 2010 12:51 am
SisterItaly says...

Seattle, that is in america, like me, and him. I gestured at my camp site.
"Derrick,I live here. I'm Friday. Would you care to join me?" I walked over and re-started the fire. Setting the fish back on the fire. I didn't bother watching him. But i kept my knife close. Then a sudden thought hit me. I could go home! But where was home? Where was I?

I thought hard, i tried to avoid thinking of my past, not knowing who you are is very frustrating. I watched the fish, i was to nerous to look at him. So many years and i haven't seen a human. Now i was to nervous to look at him

*sorry having writers block*
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

The Book.

164 Reviews

Sat May 22, 2010 2:37 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

I knelt on the other side of the fire. It was strangely primitive, but I didn't want to be rude. I took the hiking pack off my shoulders and set it on the ground not too far from me and just continued to watch this peculiar girl.

Friday, she had said? Was that her real name, or did she just take it up as hers? And that gleam in her eyes, like she was afraid and confused. What was up with that?

I could only shrug to myself. "So you...live here? How long have you been here? Did you get lost or something?"

She glanced at me, and I wasn't surprised to see her gaze wary and a bit cold. "Three years. I just woke up one morning and was in the middle of nowhere. I don't remember anything."

I swallowed. Oh, just my luck. Amnesia. She probably fell and hit her head, knocking herself out. No one found her, she woke up... And now here she was, a feral woman with the name Friday. I still couldn't get over that weird choice of a name. Why couldn't she call herself Amanda or Jennie or something more, well, usual?

I shifted, sitting all the way down and resting my hands on my knees. I couldn't help but stare at her. She was pretty, no doubt about that. Wash the dirt and stuff off her, comb that mass of hair down, and give her new clothes, I betted she could be gorgeous. But the rugged look had its appeals; it was something new, something aside from the designer jeans and fur coats I was used to seeing.

"So you've been by yourself all this time? No one came for you?" I scoffed. "Some lousy friends you had."
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

66 Reviews

Sat May 22, 2010 3:56 am
SisterItaly says...

friends... did i have friends? What had happened to them? What had happened to me. I cut the fish in half and handed it to him. I was used to eating this way, but i wasn't sure about him.
"Ya, i guess. But what are you doing out here? These woods are dangerous." I bit a chunk out of the fish, as he timidly bit out of it. Pansy. Human interaction wasn't my specialty.
"Wait, your not lost to are you?" This would crush my hope of going home. At least i would have company from now on. I really wanted to get out of the woods, i wasn't lying its a constant struggle to survive.

The Book.

164 Reviews

Sat May 22, 2010 2:26 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

I followed her example and bit out of the fish. Despite the disgusting appearance of it, it tasted pretty good. It had that charcoaled, smoked flavor. I began to eat at it more dominantly.

"No, I was hiking," I answered after I swallowed. "I've been noticing this other trail diverge from the one I usually take, and I finally decided to do something different."

I eyed her suspiciously. She had seemed disheartened when she asked that last question, as if she were afraid to be stuck out here any longer. She did say she had been out here, on her own, for three years. I could only imagine all the hell she'd been through - snow storms, bears, wolves, moose, panthers, rockslides... Those were but a few of the perils I know occurred almost constantly; every day, I hear of someone else getting attacked by an animal or injured by nature herself.

I took one more bite, but chewed slowly as I thought. Sure, I knew nothing about this girl, other than she was a pretty damsel in distress. My heart began to race inside; a damsel in distress! That was it! She needed help, and I was here to help! I could just see all my buddies now, reacting to the news that I had rescued somebody!

I shook my head. Stop it! No time for being selfish! I thought to myself. Help her for the sake of helping her, not gaining popularity. I swallowed again. "Would you like to come with me, back to the city? I have a two bedroom apartment and no roommates, so you could stay there until you get back on your feet."

66 Reviews

Sat May 22, 2010 2:44 pm
SisterItaly says...

Was he serious! He could take me out of here! He seemed to be enjoying the fish now.
"W-would you seriously? I've been trying to get out of here since i can remember!" My heart was racing. I had dreamed of this day! When i could finaly be free and get out of here! He just nodded.

I looked up at him, he had an extremly shallow look on his face, replaced with curiousity. He was serious right? I felt upset now, please, please tell me he wasn't lying! I had finished eating so i started cleaning up. I watched him fron the corner of my eye, he seemed interested in what i was doing. When i had everything put away i turned to him.

"Im going to get changed, ill be a second." I didn't wait for a responce i grabbed my other clothes and ran into the trees. My other clothes were still a little damp, but they were cleaner then the others.

The Book.

164 Reviews

Sat May 22, 2010 4:59 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

I cleared my throat, getting to my feet and turning my back on her. If she were changing, then... I knelt down and picked up my bag, making sure I had everything; I was careful not to look back at her, if I could see her at all. She was tempting, but I knew better. I didn't want to scare her off or make her uncomfortable.

But what had I gotten myself into? Sure, staying at my place was no problem, but what about the clothes and extra food, the utilities, the questions.

Oh, damn the questions. I knew what was the truth; I didn't need anything else.

I turned around when I heard her footsteps. She was still a little wary, but she had a more welcoming sense about her. "Shall we?"

I nodded, looking at her. These clothes weren't in too better of a shape, but they would do until I could get her some more. "You don't have anything you need to get? Some other belongings?"

She shook her head. "I have everything."

I nodded. Well, if she was sure, then... "Okay. Let's go."

66 Reviews

Sat May 22, 2010 5:15 pm
SisterItaly says...

We started out of the trees and onto a path. One i had taken many times before and never found anyone. We had to of walked for two hours, we didn't talk much. I was being cautious of him, i had always thought a search party would find me. Not a single person in the woods alone.

We walked to his campsite, he had a tent and other... normal camping equipment. He had a car. my heart began to race. I was really getting out of here! I would really be able to leave! after three long years and so many perils i have avoided i could finally get out of here. I heard a branch snap behind me. I quickly turned around and realized it was nothing. Just a small forest creature. He watched me curiously.

"How come i've been out here all these years and can't stand the smallest noise, yet you seem so, relaxed?"

The Book.

164 Reviews

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:53 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

***Forgive my absence. Had a lot going on... :oops: ***

I chuckled at her. "Simple. I've been in more dangerous places."

She stared at me. "Really?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I was born and raised in Alaska, a hundred miles from anywhere. Up there, it's fight and labor or die. The weather's harsh. Winters are long, dark, and cold, with blizzards, freezing, and subzero temperatures every second for the whole four months; summer isn't so bad, but then you have rainstorms which can lead to flooding and landslides. Then you have the animals. You pause even a second in the path of a bear or a moose, and you're done for."

Friday swallowed. I just smiled at her.

"But this isn't Alaska. This is Washington, well over 400 miles away. Sure, we still have some of those perils, but not to such an extent." The road leveled out and widened, becoming clearer and easier to traverse. We were almost in the outskirts of town. "We're almost there."

66 Reviews

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:34 pm
SisterItaly says...

Civilization, at last! I could see the huge buildings getting closer. I couldn't believe this was really happeneing!
"You know, i've alway's dreamed of this day. Being found." He smiled.
"Really?" I nodded.
"You weren't what i was expecting. His brow furrowed.
"Is that a good thing or a bad thing." I shrugged.
"depends on how you look at it." He pulled over and rolled down his window. Another guy came over and stuck his head in, they were obviously friends.

"Whos this?"

The Book.

164 Reviews

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:17 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

"Oh, this is Friday," I said, gesturing to her. "Friday, this is my friend Mike."

Mike waved at her, a little goofily. He had always been like that, a little special in his head... But looking at him, you couldn't really tell. He was built a lot like me, althelic but not too bulky, but his hair was a bright red and was usually a shaggy and tangled mess. His eyes were the only thing that gave away his half crazy personality: they sparkled all the time.

"Well, hello, Friday," he crooned. "What you doing out here? You his new girlfriend?"

I cleared my throat, face reddening slightly. "No, she's not my girlfriend. I...rescued her."

"Rescued her?" his eyes widened as he looked back at me. "From what?"

I looked at Friday, hoping she would cut in and stop Mike's mad ranting.

66 Reviews

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:02 pm
SisterItaly says...

Rescude me? No, I had to set this straight, he FOUND me.
"No, he stumbled upon my camp in the woods where i have been lost for the past three years. I theatenen to kill him cause i thought he was a wild animal. But here we are." His friend started laughing.
"That is pricless." He said covering his eyes, and trying not to laugh.
"We have to go now, see ya around mike." Mike nodded getting out of the car. We drove off, he looked a little upset but he would get over it. He knows I could have killed him back there if i wanted to.

The Book.

164 Reviews

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:21 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

I chuckled, clearing my throat awkwardly. That...didn't go as I had planned. Why did I say 'rescued' anyway? I thought I'd already established that word was unnecessary, but then I went and said it anyway? Way to go, airhead; put her against you before you even get to know her...

Whoa. Wait a minute. The only knowing I even intended to have was a few days with her in my spare bedroom, until she got a place of her own. That was it!

I glanced at her, trying to think of something to say that would lighten the mood. I stammered, and I knew I looked like a fool... But she waited patiently, watching me with her hawk-brown eyes...

"Um, sorry about that," I choked out. "I didn't mean to sound...honorable and...proud...back there."

She smiled, almost as if she was just toying with me. If not that, then definately laughing at me on the inside... "It's fine."

66 Reviews

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 am
SisterItaly says...

"sorry if i embarrassed you." I watched him. He smiled and chuckled nervously.
"It's okay." He drove on. We had become quiet now. An almost awkward quiet. But in a way i enjoyed it. I was used to the quiet. He pulled up to a building, and stopped the car. He sat back and rubbed his head.
"So, are you ready?" I nodded and sighed, sitting up as well.
"As ready as I'll ever be." I looked out the window. This place looked so, familiar. Yet so foreign.

He opened his door and i followed. I stumbled as i got out. It had been forever since i've riden in a car, so that would take some getting used to.

The Book.

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42