z

Young Writers Society

Kunoichi (Ayumi and Emi)

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:29 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Ayumi stared at the casket. It was still hard to grasp, that he was really gone. Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, was gone, forever. Her mind went blank as the procession slowly began, rain continuing to fall.

She was curled up, hiding in the brush on the roadside. Tears had soaked the collar of her shirt and made her hair slick. She laid there, sobbing, for a while, unnoticed and uncared for...

Then a shadow passed over her, lingered. She gasped as she looked up; it was a ninja, an older man. He knelt down beside her, smiling softly.

"What are you doing there?" he has asked, voice gentle.

She sniffled. "T-They k-killed my family... T-They tried to k-kill me..."

"Who?"

She shook her head. She was too frightened to remember just then.

"Do you have anyone else? A grandparent? An aunt or uncle? A cousin?"

Again, she shook her head.

The man sighed, looking away for a moment. "Would you like a home? You can stay with me and my family, if you like."

She drew a shuddering breath, watching him warily. Who was this man, to be so kind to her? Where would he take her, if she said yes? She had been taught the ways of the streets, a lesson too hard to forget. What would happen to her if she agreed? If she refused...?

She nodded, and took his proferred hand.

That was ten years ago. Ayumi had been a helpless child, only nine, and Sarutobi had offered her a new life, a good future. He had treated her as if she were his own daughter. And she had loved and respected him, as if he had really been her father, instead of the psychotic drug head she had been born to. The Leaf hitai around her neck was all she needed to know that this place, the Konohagakure, was her true home.

And the man in the coffin, dead by foul, snake-infested hands, was her father at heart.

"Damn, this sucks," she whispered.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:07 pm
EmiSukotto16 says...

Emi wiped an escaping tear from her eye as she stared at the coffin. Her face was blank, though her eyes glittered with tears. Tears she was fighting to keep from falling. Her father lay in that casket. The man who had raised her from a baby. The Third Hokage, Sarutobi, had been her father since she'd been a year old. She'd never known her real parents; in fact, she didn't know anything about her true family other than how they had died.

"Damn, this sucks." Ayumi whispered beside her. Emi turned to look at the kunoichi who'd been her adopted sister for so long. She could remember clearly when Sarutobi had brought her to their home. She'd been cautious, untrusting, and antisocial. Since she was a Chuunin, Sarutobi had put Ayumi's training in Emi's hands, at least until she came out of her nervous state. It had taken a month for Emi to get the girl to talk, and another for her to trust her. But after that, the pair had been inseparable. Emi had spent only a few years with Ayumi before she'd left on her mission, but those years had been spent in constant companionship.

"You got that right." Emi said. She straightened and took a deep breath raising her chin to look at the four Hokage faces carved into the cliff-face beyond the procession. Sarutobi's face stared out across the village he'd loved so much. Emi hadn't been back to the village but to give an occasional updated report on her mission, then she'd leave the next morning.

With a sigh, she returned her gaze to the procession. The only thing that had brought her home was the death of her father figure. She didn't know the details of what happened, having just arrived back at the village that morning, but she knew who the murderer was.

Emi took a deep breath to calm herself before glancing up at the weeping sky. It seemed that even the elements were mourning the loss of Konoha's leader.
Llama 1:"Shh! Do you hear that? That's the sound of forgiveness."
Llama 2:"That's the sound of people drowning, Carl!"
Llama 1:"That is what forgiveness sounds like; screaming and then silence."

164 Reviews

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:44 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Ayumi sighed, looking at her older sister. Well, not literally. They were only adopted, both from different families. At least Emi had it easier; this wasn't her second family she'd lost. Ayumi remembered her first and real parents; Emi didn't. This death was all the more painful...

The procession began to slow; the gravesight just came into view. Ayumi grimaced; she could barely hold it all in. Tears brimmed at the corners of her eyes, a sob trying to escape her. She shook her head, stopping in her tracks.

"Ayumi?" Emi asked, watching the younger woman.

"I can't do this. I have to go," she gasped, turning away. There was a split second, and all anyone could see was the blur of brown hair as Ayumi leapt away, vanishing down the streets.
Last edited by AyumiGosu17 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

28 Reviews

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:08 am
EmiSukotto16 says...

Emi frowned as Ayumi raced off. She was stuck between the responsibility of staying for their "father's" funeral as was expected, or going after her younger adopted sibling. She sighed and stayed with the procession. Ayumi needed some alone time to collect herself. She'd be ready to speak to Emi by the time the funeral was over...

The whole thing was perfect for honoring the Third Hokage. Even the rain. Emi, spoke to a good number of the village's residents, accepting condolences and thanking them. She kept her emotions at bay, as she'd been trained to do, even though the sadness she felt now was harder to ignore than any time before. With one last hug from her adopted brother, the Hokage's true son Asuma, she left in search of Ayumi.

"Emi," A familiar voice called, just before she could disappear. She turned to see Kakashi Hatake approaching.

"If it isn't Scarecrow." She said, using the nickname she had given him in the time before her mission. It had been six years since she'd last seen him, and alot had changed.

Kakashi chuckled, which surprised Emi a little. He used to get annoyed when she called him that, and she couldn't quite recall a time when she'd heard him show any sign of humor. "Long time, no see." He said, scratching his head.

"Well, you've changed alot." Emi said with a smirk.

"Hm?" His only visible eyebrow raised. "What do you mean?"

"You're different than I remember." She smiled, but remembered Ayumi. "Why don't we get some dinner later and catch up? I've got some things I need to do." She sighed. "No rest for the weary and all that."

Kakashi chuckled again. "Sounds good."

Emi smiled again then disappeared to find her sibling.

164 Reviews

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

***Huh. I was sure I had posted earlier...oh well.***

Ayumi roared, lashing out again. She was soaked to the bone, and her knuckles were drenched in blood. The rope she had wrapped around the six-foot pole was beaten nearly flat and beginning to unravel.

How long she'd been here, she wasn't sure. All she knew was that she had spent all her time since her arrival at the KIA Memorial punching and kicking as much out of that pole as physically possible. She was almost worn out.

She punched it one last time, and gave in. Her knees buckled under her, and she sank to her knees, her forehead leaning on the pole. She closed her eyes against the torrent pouring from her hair, seeping down onto her face and down her neck.

"Father, forgive me," she whispered.

"It's not your fault," someone responded, approaching her from behind. She could hear their footsteps in the mud. She sighed, lifting her head.

28 Reviews

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:12 pm
EmiSukotto16 says...

Emi stopped a few feet behind Ayumi and crossed her arms. She had worn her normal uniform to the funeral, it was all black. Only the metal plate of the forehead protector hanging around her neck wasn't black.

Looking down at Ayumi, Emi felt her sadness and empathized with the girl kneeling in the mud.

"You still train your frustrations away, I see." Emi say looking at the worn and bloodied pole.

Ayumi twisted into a sitting position and leaned against the pole.

"I suppose it's better than nothing." Emi sighed and walked over to the pole, leaning her shoulder against it and looking down at her adopted sibling. Six years had changed so much about this village. Emi was beginning to feel nostalgic as she looked at the memorial grounds. So many days were spent with Ayumi training here.

Emi fiddled with the ring on her right hand. "You can't blame yourself for this. In all honesty, I'm more to blame than most anyone." She dropped her hand and turned so that her back was against the pole, leaning her head back and looking at the sky. "I spent two years in the Sand working out the problems the two villages had, and this happens."

"Someone told you what all happened, I see." Ayumi said.

"Asuma filled me in after the service." Emi frowned. "I feel like I've failed my mission. I was supposed to strengthen the ties between the Leaf and the other villages in order to prevent something like this." Emi clenched a fist, but took a deep breath to calm herself. "So I should be the one saying sorry to Father, not you. I wasn't even here to defend the village." Confessing her thoughts was painful. Each truth that passed her lips widened the aching hole in her chest. She closed her eyes, bit her lip, and looked at her feet. Had she failed her village?

164 Reviews

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:39 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Ayumi stared at her hands, shredded and bleeding. They were beginning to throb; the pain felt good. It distracted her from the bitter truth.

"I was there," she whispered, "at the stadium. I saw Orochimaru and Father take up their battle uniforms and face off, but I was helpless to stop it..." She turned her head and looked up at Emi. "It's not your fault, either. No one knew Orochimaru was posing; you know how skilled he is with his jutsus, devilish as they are. Even Father missed it; that should tell you something."

"Yeah," Emi sighed. "I guess so."

28 Reviews

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:02 pm
EmiSukotto16 says...

It was true, neither of the girls were at fault for what happened. Orochimaru was the only one to blame. Even the Sand couldn't take any blame, for Orochimaru had impersonated their leader, and directed the attack.

"No one is to blame here, but Orochimaru." Emi said, voicing her thoughts. Emi checked her watch, then reached a hand down. "It's almost three and neither of us has had anything to eat since breakfast. Let's go grab some lunch before the council finds me and sends me away, again." Emi said lightly, a smile on her face. Ayumi grabbed her wrist and pulled herself up. Emi put an arm around her shoulders. "I'll probably end up in meetings all day tomorrow, but I guess it's better that traveling back to the Sand. Do you know how hard it is to do water-based jutsus in the desert?"

A smile broke Ayumi's lips. "You're taijutsu skills must have improved, then."

Emi laughed. "You bet they did!"

164 Reviews

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:53 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Ayumi smiled. "Well, damn, then. If you weren't so busy, I wouldn't mind challenging you!"

Emi chuckled. Ayumi beamed; it was just like old times. They were together again, smiling and laughing and proclaiming superiority in their skills... It was a shame, though; she doubted they would ever be able to truly be how they once were, with Emi and her duties as an ambassador and Ayumi as a Hidden Leaf Jounin...

Ayumi was silent as they walked back into Konoha; the rain was beginning to ebb, and the clouds began to part. Perhaps they were finished covering the grave... She shook her head; don't think about it. Not right now. She had other things to worry about...

"...like what mission I have next," she mused aloud without realizing it.

"What?" Emi asked, lifting an eyebrow at her.

"Oh, you were talking about your duties, and I started thinking about mine," Ayumi explained, half shrugging. "Don't think you're the only one who stays busy."

28 Reviews

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:02 pm
EmiSukotto16 says...

"Oh, that's right! You're a Jounin, now. Finally caught up to me." Emi winked. "But I doubt you can match me."

"You shouldn't judge all of your opponent's skills on past fights. Especially, ones that happened six years ago. I've grown in strength."

"Hence the title." Emi added. She smiled and removed her arm from around Ayumi. "There's only one way to find out for sure." She leapt and landed several yards away. "Let's see what you've learned."

164 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:45 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Ayumi smiled coyly. Despite it all, they would still be at it, then. She knew it was perhaps a little immature for two women of such stature to mess around and fight like this, wasting energy, but what could she say? It was fun and useful.

Ayumi took up her stance. She stood with her body just slighty turned, left shoulder back. Her left knee was bent, her foot directly under her, balancing on her toe; her left arm was bent at a right angle, her hand - positioned like a tiger's paw - just in front of her face. Her right knee was bent slightly with her foot just in front of her, flat. Her right arm was almost completely extended, her hand in front of her chest in the same claw-like position.

She was already focusing her chakra - not too much; just enough to form a couple clones or a good fireball - as she exhaled. "Whenever you're ready, sis. Hope you can keep up with me."

***I've kept Ayumi's abilities as primarily average fire ninjutsus and strong tiger-style taijutsu. She still uses senbon, but not as much. Just giving you the heads up on that. :wink: ***

28 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:27 am
EmiSukotto16 says...

**Alright. Thanks for that info!**

Emi smirked as she took the offensive. She knew better than to start slow and work up to Ayumi's true potential. Emi was going to throw some of her stronger attacks at her and put her through her paces without hesitation.

In a series of movements, all barely visible, she formed her hand signs and attcked with one of her favorite jutsus. "Water-style," She said as her chakra poured out, "Water Shockwave jutsu!" In a split second, an enormous wave of water burst forth and raced towards Ayumi.

**I'll let you control Ayumi's movements until I get a better feel of her abilities. I don't want to massacre her technique. And I'm sure you know that the Water Shockwave jutsu is the Second Hokage's (Emi's great-grandfather's) specialty jutsu. The giant water attack he used during the fight between Orochimaru and Sarutobi.**

164 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:46 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Ayumi growled. Already? This girl must have a lot of chakra, then...or she's simply wanting a fast one. Ayumi assumed it was the former reason.

She huffed as she poured chakra into her legs and feet, giving her a boost of strength. She dropped to the ground and waited; the water came closer, closer. At the very last moment, she leapt, propelled higher and faster due to the chakra in her muscles. She barely avoided the tide; her feet were soaked.

Still, she had the height she needed. Her hands became a blur, not quite as fast as Emi, as she drew more chakra out of her body. She found Emi standing in the clearing, completely dry...

Ayumi inhaled, "Dragon Flame jutsu!" A jet of fire exploded from her mouth, rushing right for Emi.

28 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:31 pm
EmiSukotto16 says...

Well, that's new. Emi thought as the flame came at her. She poured chakra into her legs and raced forward, heat rushing down her back as she barely dodged the attack. Ayumi had gotten alot faster with her chakra control, and alot stronger. Emi had to remind herself, Ayumi was a Jonin, now. Her equal.

Emi frowned as the smell of singed hair. She'd pay for that one. She continued forward until she was under Ayumi and leapt, bringing her leg up in a swift kick aimed at Ayumi's chin.

164 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:52 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

***How about this weather? We've got two inches here; my dogs love it! We can't get them to come inside! :lol: ***

Ayumi grunted, leaning back just as Emi closed in, foot high and set for her chin. There was a breeze against her face as the girl's toes clipped the point of her jaw. Ayumi reached out with a quick hand, taking Emi's ankle in her grip.

"You're good," Ayumi commented. "You're making me work for once."

Emi chuckled, but Ayumi lashed out with her other hand, the palm flat and "claws" extended. She fueled her arm muscles with chakra, giving her a little boost of strength. If Emi didn't find a way to escape, she'd probably end up with a few cracked ribs.

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci