z

Young Writers Society

Persona - Dynamo and Ayumi

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:12 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Kenta and Haruki stepped out of the building, caught in the flood of students leaving the campus. Their friend, Masaru, was already on the sidewalk, boarding his bicycle. Lucky him, being as active and limber as he was, he had been able to bypass the mass of bodies.

"Bye, Masaru!" the girls called after him. He merely waved as he took off down the road, peddling away.

Haruki smiled and she and Kenta began to walk in the other direction. Haruki was a very laid-back, pampered, well-mannered girl. She was never rude or disruptive; she was the teacher's pet and well liked throughout the school. Her friend, however, was another story. Kenta was the complete opposite: a foul-mouthed, temperamental, bully-fighting athlete. If there was any action around Katsuragi High that involved fists, Kenta was more than likely in the middle of it.

A few blocks away, Haruki's smile broadened. She turned to Kenta. "Kenta, what do you think the new student will be like? Cute? A scholar? A prankster? I hope he's like Masaru..."

"Who knows? Let's just hope he does a better job of saving his ass than Masaru did," Kenta shrugged, then began to laugh. "Remember that first day? That was fucking hilarious - "

"Oh, please stop cussing. You know I don't like it..."

Kenta grunted, laughter gradually ceasing. "Ah..."

A pause. Then Haruki started again, "What do you think he'll be like?"

She shrugged. "Let's hope he's better tempered and more good-looking than these other guys around here. I'd actually like to meet someone - some guy - who can tolerate and like me for who I am, for once."

Haruki smiled, looking at her friend. Kenta was a hard person, but there was a secret lover inside her troubled soul; Haruki knew it was there, it was just a matter of revealing it. "Maybe he'll be the one. Who knows?"

Kenta scoffed softly. "Yeah... Who knows..."
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:57 am
Dynamo says...

(In Japan, the school year starts just after the Christmas break. Right now it's the beginning of the school year. And remember, the Japanese usually address themselves last name first and first name second.)

Kaname Kaito stood in the train going to Katsuragi Town. He was transferring from Hashimoto City to a new school tomorrow. Kaito's parents had left a couple days ago to go on a trip overseas; they wouldn't be back for a year. In the meantime, Kaito is going to be living with his uncle.

It had been twenty minutes since the train had left the station and Kaito's legs were beginning to tire. He looked around for any empty seats, but to no avail. He spotted a man reading a newspaper a few seats away. There was a picture of a woman on the front page. He recognized that woman's face, since she had been all over the news lately. She was an actress by the name of Tsutsume Natsuru. Apparently a local politician had been having an affair with that woman behind his wife's back. A few days after the story hit the news the woman disappeared, she probably went into hiding to get away from the press.

As the trip dragged on Kaito's mind started to drift off, particularly toward a dream he had the other night. Though it wasn't so much a dream as it was a message. Even now he could remember clearly what the voice he had heard said.

"A great mystery will be placed before you. Your life, as well as the lives of others, will depend on the choices you make."

An hour passed before the train pulled up to Katsuragi Station. The station was a simple platform. When he stepped off the train he was met by a thick fog. The fog was a clear sign that it had been raining hard a few days prior. Even though it was thick he was still able to see out to the street in front of the platform.

Parked on a curb was a small red car, and leaning on that car was a man in his mid thirties smoking a cigarette. He was wearing business wear and had his coat slung over one shoulder. Standing beside him was a ten-year-old girl.

Kaito didn't see anyone else waiting nearby, so he decided to walk over to them. When the man spotted Kaito he dropped his cigarette on the ground and put it out with his foot. "You must be Kaito," he said.

"That's right," Kaito replied.

"I'm Dojima Ryotaro, and this is my daughter, Nanako."

"...Hello," the little girl said shyly.

"Don't worry about her, she's just shy around new people. Anyway, I'm your mother's brother, so I guess that would make me your uncle. You'll be staying with us for the year."

Kaito politely bowed his head. "Thank you for agreeing to take care of me."

(Can you get them home in your next post? Also, just for future reference, Ryotaro is a detective.)
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:58 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Haruki was the first to get home. Her home was located in the nearby suburbs - an apartment within the hotel her family owned and ran. She turned to Kenta, who was waiting down on the stairs, out of the way.

"See you tomorrow," Haruki smiled, waving to her roguish friend.

"Yeah," Kenta nodded, turning away just as Mrs. Minako came to the door. She was a pretty woman; small and petite with gentle features and tamed hair, kept in a ponytail. Otherwise, she had a slight pudge around her middle from bearing two children.

"Kenta," the mother began softly, patiently, "you know how I feel about that Ryunosuke girl. She's bad news, a bad influence."

Haruki sighed, gaze lowering. She knew the truth; her parents didn't trust the ghetto-dweller, the outcast, the rebel. And there was nothing she could say that could make them feel better -

"You cannot tell ANYONE!" Kenta had begged that first night she came to Haruki through the window, beaten and crying.

Haruki shrugged half-heartedly, "But maybe I am a good influence on her. I promise, Mama, I will not falter."

Mrs. Minako sighed and smiled after a moment. "Come inside; dinner is ready."

-----

Kenta walked slowly after she left Haruki at the inn. She turned onto an alley that passed behind the inn, across the drainway, across traintracks, and into an open, empty lot. This was by far not the most direct route home; from here, she would have to go around the train station and garbage dump, pass through a junk yard infested with aggressive dogs, and then follow the backroads for a three mile circuit. She'd get home about...8:00. The old fart should be asleep by then...

She stared at the sky, making shapes out of clouds and dreaming about flying, being free. Anything to get her out of her hell... Anything...

The hours passed by too quickly, still. She got home just as the sun set, an hour earlier than she had hoped.

Masaru got home to find everything as it normally is. His mother had already fixed dinner, his father was sitting at the table with a cup of coffee and a newspaper, and his little brother was watching some cartoons on the television in the living room. All was back to normal, the same as it had been in Osaka.

"Good evening, Masaru," his mother called. "How was school?"

"Boring."

"Have any homework?"

"No. I did it in class."

"Dinner's ready." She was always trying to get him to be more social; Masaru knew she viewed him as an oddity, as a loner...

"Not hungry." He took off upstairs, for his room...and his stereo.
Last edited by AyumiGosu17 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:18 pm
Dynamo says...

(Can you change San Diego to Osaka in your post? Thanks. By the way, an old fashioned Japanese style inn, from my understanding, would be more like a large two story house with lots of rooms rather than an apartment building.)

After a short ride in the car they arrived at the Dojima residence. It was a relatively small house, with a small kitchen on one side and a living room about the same size on the other. all that was in the living room was a couch, a low table that was used as the dinning table, and a T.V. off in the corner.

Ryotaro had stopped by the convenience store on the way home to pick up a few things for dinner. They ate dinner mostly in silence. Ryotaro made a few attempts at small talk here and there, like asking Kaito what it had been like in his old school.

Nanako turned on the T.V. about half-way through dinner. The news was on, and they were presenting a report on the current case with the missing actress who was involved with the affair.

"Still no word on the whereabouts of B-list actress Tsutsume Natsuru. Recent events with house member Yakatori Fujira leads one to suspect she had left to get away from the press, but when we spoke with Miss Tsutsume's agent he said he had no clue as to her whereabouts."

Ryotaro sighed. "They're still talking about that? It's already been three weeks since the scandal. There has to be more important things to report on."

Kaito simply nodded. He didn't having any input on the subject, since he didn't pay much attention to current affairs in the media.

The channel went to a commercial break, and a commercial for the local department store, Junes, came on. Nanako's face instantly lit up. She smiled as she watched the commercial. The announcer talked about some of the sales going on that week, then finished off by saying, "...and remember, everyday is customer appreciation day here at Junes!"

Nanako sang along with the store's jingle as the commercial ended. "Everyday is great at your Junes!" She turned to her father and asked, "Dad, can we go this weekend?"

"We'll see, honey," Ryotaro said. He turned to Kaito and said, "You must be tired from your long trip. I'll show you to your room."
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:49 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Haruki finished her dinner before moving into the back yard to do her homework. It was warm outside, and the sun was still out; perhaps there was enough time to finish every assignment.

(Sorry, can't think of anything else.)

-----

Kenta sighed as she stared at the front door. She hated this place; she hated the person inside. She wished Mother was still around, so she could at least flee with her instead of face the monster she had for a father...

She shook her head. There was nothing better to do; she carefully opened the door, peering into the trashed living room. Beer bottles littered the floor, and it wreaked of cigarettes. Her father was nowhere to be seen. Not good.

The door was snatched open, and a hand lashed out, wrapping around her throat. She cried out as she was lifted from her feet and tossed inside, across the living room and into the wall opposite. She turned to see her father, standing there in his drunken rage.

"Where you been, bitch?" he snapped, reaching out for her again. "Sneaking around? You get big, and I'm gonna beat you till you and the little bastard child die!"

She skirted around him, taking off down the hall and toward her room. She slammed the door and locked it. From there, she could escape through the window if the need arose. "School let out late!"

"Don't lie to me!" he shouted, stumbling after her. "I know a whore when I see one! You're just like your mother!"

"Mother didn't want to leave! You drove her out!"

There was silence on the other side of the door. He was panting, staggering, leaning against the frame. She kept her mouth shut, just listening. What was he going to do? When was he going to move? She needed to get dinner started; feeding him would shut him up, put him to sleep...

"What are you doing in there?" he asked, voice low. He was still by the door.

"Wondering if you're going to let me fix dinner in peace."

He grunted, mumbling. A few moments passed, and he moved away from the door, pacing down the hall. She heard him fall into the couch, turning the television up so loud it hurt her ears.

She hesitantly opened the door and made her way, avoiding him by two arms' lengths, to the kitchen.

103 Reviews

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:08 am
View Likes
Dynamo says...

Ryotaro led Kaito up to the spare room. In the room was a futon, study desk, couch, T.V., small table and a few small shelves. The desk, couch, table, and shelves were all buried under boxes and junk.

Ryotaro scratched his head. "Sorry about the mess. Until now we've been using this room for storage. I tried taking some time to clean it up before you arrived, but my job at the station kept getting in the way. I'll have it cleaned out in a day or two, so don't worry."

"That's fine," Kaito said. "Thank you for the room."

"Don't mention it. If you need anything my room is just down the hall. Your first day of school starts tomorrow, so try not to stay up too late."

Kaito nodded. "I won't."

"Well, good-night," he said before closing the door and walking down the hall to his own room.

Kaito looked out the window for a moment before he started getting dressed for bed. The fog from earlier was still as thick as ever. It probably wouldn't clear up until sometime tomorrow, possibly in the afternoon.

After getting into a T-shirt and pair of shorts, as well as trying to navigate through the piles of boxes in the dark without tripping, Kaito crawled into bed and closed his eyes. How will his life be like here for the next year? Will he be able to meet some friends in his new school? There was nothing he could do but wait and see.

That night, Kaito dreamed...

Kaito found himself standing in an area blanketed by incredibly thick fog. It was so thick that he could barely see the ground five feet in front of him. In his right hand was a katana, which he never remembered picking up. As he looked around he thought, Am I dreaming? What is this place, and how do I get out? He decided that just standing around wouldn't solve anything, so he picked a random direction and started walking.

After a few minutes he heard a voice speak to him. "Do you seek the truth...?" it asked.

Kaito couldn't tell which direction the voice had come from. "Who's there?" he called out.

The voice spoke again. "If it's truth you desire, come and find me..."

Kaito could tell which direction it came from this time. He started walking that way, and soon found himself in front of a door. It looked like some sort of aperture of red and black squares placed inside one another, almost like a spiral. It was just a door standing in the middle of no-where. There were no walls attached to it or anything. Despite that fact, he could somehow feel someone's presence behind it.

He reached out to touch the door, and it opened as if reacting to his touch. He stepped into the other side and found himself in another foggy plain. When he looked behind him he noticed the door was gone.

He noticed something moving behind the fog. It looked like a man, but it was too hard to tell. The voice from before spoke again. This time it said, "So...You are the one pursuing me..."

Kaito frowned and tightened his grip on the sword. "Tell me what's going on!"

"If it is the truth you seek, then come at me..."

Kaito had just about enough of these games. He rushed toward the figure and swung at him. He had been in the kendo club at his last school, so he knew how to handle a sword. But even though he was sure he hit the person, it felt like he was just swinging at thin air. The figure disappeared, then reappeared somewhere else.

"You will not catch me so easily..." he said. "If what you really seek is truth, then your search will be even harder..."

Kaito regained his stance and tried again. But just like last time, his attack just seemed to pass through his target. "Show yourself!" he shouted.

"Everyone sees what they want to...and the fog only deepens..."

Kaito tried one last time to hit the figure. When he attacked he somehow tripped and lost his footing, landing face first on the cold hard ground.

"Will we meet again...? At a place other than here..." The voice seemed to chuckle before adding, "I look forward to it..."

Kaito slowly began to lose consciousness and fell asleep. When he woke back up he was back in his room. He could tell immediately that it was morning.

Was it all really just a dream...?

(My character is the only one who has this dream, just so you know. By the way, our character's homeroom teacher is an asshole. Just thought I'd bring that up before-hand. His name is Moromasu-sensei, but everyone calls him King Moron behind his back. I'll admit I took that part straight out of the game, it was just too good to pass up. :D )
Last edited by Dynamo on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

***I can't think of anything for Kenta and Masaru; they're pretty much just doing homework (Haruki) and jamming out (Masaru)... sorry...***

Kenta brought her father a plate within thirty minutes. It was his favorite dish, and always seemed to put him right to sleep. Hopefully, it would do the same tonight, so she wouldn't have to worry about him hitting her...

He looked at it, looking at each serving. He grunted, and began to eat, slowly and clumsily. He split some rice into his lap. "Get me a towel."

She complied quickly, literally throwing it onto his lap. She took off to her bedroom, to listen to her rock music and write in her diary...her only escape other than Haruki.

103 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:27 pm
Dynamo says...

(That's okay. I wanted the characters to start heading to school the next day anyway.)

Kaito got dressed and came downstairs. Thoughts of his dream kept circling through his mind. It felt so real. Was there some sort of purpose behind it? He shook his head. No, there couldn't be. It was just a dream, nothing more.

He looked around the main floor and saw Nanako sitting at the table eating breakfast. He also saw a plate of food at the spot he had sat in last night.

"Good morning," Nanako said. "I made you breakfast. Come and eat."

As Kaito kneeled at the table, since it was a traditional Japanese table and required no chairs to us, he asked, "Where's your father?"

"He left for work a while ago. He's a detective for the police, so he's very busy." Nanako explained. Half way through breakfast she asked, "You're going to Minagi High School, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am," Kaito said.

"Why don't we walk there together? My school is along the way, so I can show you where to go."

Kaito smiled. "Thanks, Nanako. I'd appreciate that."

When they finished breakfast they got their shoes one, gabbed their school bags, and headed off. As they walked Nanako asked him some things, like what living in the city was like. She seemed much more open than she had been the night before.

About fifteen minutes after leaving the house they came to an intersection. Nanako stopped and said, "My school is just down this road." She pointed down another road and said, "If you keep following this road you'll find Minagi High School."

"Thanks, Nanako. I'll see you back home later tonight."

She nodded. "Bye." They split off down the two different roads toward their respective schools.

After a few minutes Kaito started seeing other students walking down the road, so he knew he was heading the right way. A guy on a bike sped past him. It looked like he was losing control of his bike as he swerved back and forth. He let out a panicked cry as he smashed head-first into the side of a telephone pole.

(The guy who just crashed his bike is Masaru, by the way.)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:18 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Masaru groaned as he staggered to his feet, slapping dirt and gravel off his clothes with bleeding palms. He apparently hadn't noticed the blood on his skin, for he gave an exasperated grunt when he saw it on his clothes.

A stranger walked up to him. "You need some help?"

Masaru looked up. Well, who was this? He'd never seen him before. "Uh...no, I'm fine. Just some scrapes." He stood up straighter, studying this guy's face. "You new here?"

103 Reviews

Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:16 pm
Dynamo says...

"Yeah, I just arrived yesterday," Kaito said.

Masaru noticed the guy was wearing the same school uniform as him, which meant he was going to the same school. That's when it hit him. "Wait a minute, you're the new transfer student aren't you?"

Kaito nodded. "Yeah, I guess so."

Masaru smiled. "Lucky me. I get to meet the new guy before anyone else!" He held out his hand. "Sachiko Masaru."

Kaito shook his hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm Kaname Kaito."

When they finished shaking hands Masaru picked up his bike. "Man, the fog is so thick this morning. I could barely see where I was going."

"Does the fog usually get this thick around here?" Kaito asked.

"Only when it's been raining for a while." Masaru shifted his backpack so it was settled comfortably on his shoulders. That's when he heard something crinkle inside. He swung his bag off his shoulders and reached inside to find out what it was. He pulled out a DVD case of a movie called Crouching Tiger, which he had borrowed from Kenta a few days prior. The case was bent, and shards of the DVD were spilling out of the sides.

"Uh-oh..."

"What is it?" Kaito asked.

"Kenta's going to kill me!"
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:56 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

"Who's Kenta?" Kaito asked as the two began to walk toward the school.

"Only the meanest, angriest, and toughest girl in the school!" Masaru whined, trying to walk a little behind Kaito. "She's got a temper the size of the Pacific and a punch as strong as a hurricane!"

"Does she do this all the time?"

"Oh, no. Only when I aggravate her. We're really good friends, aside from that! She's the only girl who puts up with me, and wrestles and plays sports and all that other fun stuff with me."

Kaito stared at him, a little stunned. "She's your friend, but she beats up on you?"

Masaru thought for a moment, and nodded.

103 Reviews

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:28 pm
Dynamo says...

(In the states the order of high school years goes freshmen, junior, sophomore, and senior, right? That's another thing the US and Canada have that's different. Up here, we just say grade 9, grade 10, grade 11, grade 12. If find the numbered system is less confusing. What do you think?)

"She's a good person, you just don't want to make her made, that's all," Masaru said. He looked down at the remains of the DVD in his hand and grimaced. "This was her favourite kung-fu movie. She's going to kill me for sure this time..."

Masaru began to think, If I give it back to her at the end of school, I'll be able to run away before she tries to hurt me.

They were soon at the front gate of Minagi High School. Masaru locked his bike up on a nearby rack before going inside with Kaito. "So, what class are you going to be in?" he asked.

"I don't know yet," Kaito said. "I'm supposed to go to the staff room to find out."

"Oh, okay. The staff room is just down the hall on the first floor," Masaru said, pointing down one of the hallways. "Hey, maybe we'll get lucky and end up in the same homeroom?"

"Yeah, that'd be cool."

"Well, I've got to get to class. I'll see you later." The two of them waved good-bye before splitting off. As Masaru went up the stairs to get to his homeroom, 2-B, he tried to think of some way to break the news to Kenta about her DVD.

(All four characters will be in the same homeroom, and their homeroom teacher is an asshole by the name of Moromasu-sensei, but everyone calls him King Moron behind his back. I think it's Japanese custom for a new student to introduce himself in front of the class on his first day, so just keep that in mind for your next post.)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

***I am so sorry, but for the past month I have not been able to think of anything.***

103 Reviews

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:00 am
Dynamo says...

(Don't worry, I'll double post when I can think of something to write. It's midnight right now.)
Take that, science!

103 Reviews

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:19 pm
Dynamo says...

Masaru entered his homeroom and took his seat. The desks in the classroom were organized into three rows, each row being two desks wide. Masaru's seat was in the center row, two desks up from the back. In front of him was an empty desk, and to the right of that was where Kenta sat. Haruki's desk was just in front of hers.

Masaru rested his head against the top of his desk. The pain from whacking his head against the telephone pole was starting to kick in. Pretty soon he would have a full-blown headache.

Kenta and Haruki entered the room a few minutes later and took their seats as well. Kenta looked over her shoulder and asked, "Geez, what happened to you, Masaru?"

"I don't wanna talk about it..." he mumbled.

"Well, did you bring my DVD today?"

Masaru stiffened. He quickly tried to come up with some sort of excuse. As luck would have it their homeroom teacher, Moromasu-sensei, walked into the room. Masaru never thought he'd be happy to see King Moron.

Moromasu was a lanky man with a slight hunch in his posture. His back hair always looked greasy and he had a serious overbite that made him look like a horse. His tacky blue and white striped suit was painful to look at, and to make things worse he wore it to school every single day.

"All right, shut yer yaps you brats, class has started!" he said. "I swear, you kids these days have no sense of respect." Everyone seemed to brace themselves for another one of King Moron's painfully long lectures of how things were when he was in school. As luck would have it, they were spared from his speech this morning.

"Now, I've heard some of you kids talking about the new transfer student that's arriving today. I can't see why you brats are so interested in some city dweller, he's no more special than any of you. If any of you were hoping he would transfer into this class then today's your lucky day, I guess." He turned to the door and said, "Hey kid, get in here and introduce yourself!"

The door slid open, and in walked Kaito. He stood in front of the class and said, "My name is Kaname Kaito. Nice to meet you all."

(I was thinking Kaito should sit beside Kenta, that way he'll be in the middle of the group.)
Take that, science!

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix