z

Young Writers Society

Collision [In need of a better title]

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:06 am
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy sat quietly in the carriage as it rocked back and forth, making her slightly nauseous. She ignored the sickening drop in her stomach every time she looked out the window and saw the dry, deserted country. She had known that she was to be sentenced out here for a long time, still it had not prepared her for the scorching heat and the unavoidable sense of disaster.

"Winston, how much further?" Ivy asked, her long, regal neck stretching to get a better look at him. She caught a glimpse of his bald head, shining with sweat from the sun. Wisps of gray hair moved slightly in the breeze, but the old man didn't look back.

"Not long, Miss. I suspect tha' we have, oh, five minutes to go," he replied, shaking the reins to make the carriage go faster.

"Thank you," Ivy smiled, her lips felt cracked and her cheeks hurt. It had been a while since she smiled. She had refused to even give her father one last parting smile, instead offering him a grimace. This was his fault, after all.

Ivy patted her brown-blonde hair, checking for stray pieces that may have fell out of her clip. It had taken her mother a very long time to put it up this way, but she insisted as it was the last time she would be able to see her for a very long time.

The carriage jolted to a halt, causing Ivy bounce around the carriage. She turned to the old man but he was already out and opening the door. She reached out, her thin, delicate fingers gripping Winston's fleshy, dirty ones. She tried not to think of that though. She was sure to get dirty out here.

"Who'll get my bags?" Ivy asked, looking at all of them. It had taken her three days to sort out what clothing she would take and what she must leave behind.

Winston laughed. "Well, I'll help you, Miss, but I can't carry them all."

"Oh, just perfect, is this what you call being a gentleman is?" Ivy asked, opening her umbrella to protect her fair skin.

"Well, now, Miss," Winston answered, obviously insulted.

"Maybe you need to figure out what a true gentleman is," another voice interrupted. Ivy spun around to see a boy and a girl, both around her age, striding towards them. She looked at their outfits and tried to hold back the fit of laughter that was sure to come. They looked dirty and out of style compared to hers.

"And who are you, to tell me what a true gentleman is...sir," Ivy said sarcastically, her pale blue eyes shooting daggers at him.

"Colton. You know, the son of the man you'll be staying with," he replied, with a glare of his own.

"Right and...you are?" Ivy questioned the strong looking female.

"Ella," came her response, just as cold as Ivy's own.

"Are we all just going to stand her and let me dry out here in the sun?" Ivy asked, annoyed. Her father never let this happen. Winston instantly grabbed a few bags from the carriage, but Colton just stared at me, raising an eyebrow.

"I beg your pardon?" He laughed, amused by something.

"What?" She demanded.

"Don't you have two working legs and two working arms. Grab some of your own bags and while your at it learn some manners," he answered.

"Manners?" Ivy scoffed. "You have no idea what manners are! I am a lady and you should treat me as one."

Winston looked back and forth between them with his wide brown eyes.

Ivy didn't wait for Colton's response but strode towards Winston, her only companion left from this long journey, and tried to ignore the drop in her stomach. She suddenly hated her father for what he had done. She already missed the city, her mother, her father, and most importantly, the respect she had there. She didn't even want to imagine what awaited her here.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:52 am
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Colton had been mad enough when his father told them that he was bringing a girl from the east out to stay with them for a while. Something about her being a friend of his mothers. He crossed his arms and took a deep breath.

"Just cause she's prissy doesn't mean you can't be nice like Mama asked." Ella said softly from next to him.

"Only cause Ma asked." He replied grabbing a bag and carrying it to the wagon and loading it up. He helped load the rest of it and then gave Ella a hand up to the seat of the wagon. The girl stood next to the wagon her umbrella casting a shadow over her face.

"We're riding in.....this?" She asked.

"It's called a wagon. It's useful." He replied as he checked the horses harnesses and then walked into the general store and got the supplies his mother had asked for. He loaded them in the wagon as she still stood there.

"Where am I going to sit?" She asked. Ella glanced at him and he clenched his jaw a little. "And what about Winston? And our carriage?"

"Your carriage is being sent back east, it is useless here." He replied as he helped lift Winston's only bag into the wagon. He then helped the old man into the back of the wagon.

"No it isn't!" She nearly squealed.

"Ma'am, your out east. It's useless." He walked over and grabbed her around her waist lifting her into the seat next to his sister and then walking to the other side before she could complain. He got the horses moving towards the ranch.

When they got to the ranch his father and mother walked out of the ranch house. Colton got down off the bench and lifted his sister gently to the ground making sure she had her footing before he walked around and grabbed Ivy picking her up and setting her down and then walking around behind the wagon and grabbing a crate of supplies not worrying or caring about if she was balanced or not.

"Miss Ivy, it's nice to see you." His ma said. He walked past her and set the crate in the kitchen then he walked back to the wagon as Shane, their only hired help, walked over and helped him.

"That the city gal?" Shane asked as they set her stuff in Ella's bedroom which Ivy would be sharing with her.

"Ya, and I'm ready to send her packing already." He growled.

"I don't like the looks of her. She's......sickly looking."

"She wants it that way." He replied as they walked back outside. Ivy and his mother were inside.

"Pa, I don't want to share a room with her." Ella argued with their pa outside.

"Ella, it's just for a while. Don't worry." Pa replied.

"Pa, I agree with her. I'm not sure I can be polite to her."

"Your not trying, Colt. I saw the way you treated her." His Pa frowned.

"But he had every right!" Ella replied.

"I don't care how rude she is to the two of her. You need to be polite."

"Yes, sir." They said in unison.

"Don't expect me to like it." Colt grouned out as he walked over to the corral that held his horse and he brushed him down.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:04 am
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy smiled at Colton and Ella's mom. Her own mother had spoke nothing but good things about her, but they had gone their seperate ways. Ivy looked at her mother's freind's thin, bony fingers and, though they now had callouses, spoke of grace and elegance.

"Would you like to sit," she asked, pointing to a couple of old, worn down chairs. Ivy nodded, polietly. It was hard not to like this woman and from what her mother had said, she already felt as if she had been her own lifelong freind.

Ivy sat on the chair farthest from anyone, her back completely straight. Her mother had practically beat that habit into her thick head. Her new guardian sat in front of her, eager, as it seemed, for conversations. Ivy surpressed a groan and put on her best smile. This was probably the ony person she could get along with here.

"You look a lot like your ma, you know," she finally bursted out. "You are so very pretty."

Ivy blushed at the compliment. "It's funny, mother always told me you were the one who gathered the attention," Ivy teased weakly, smiling. "She said, and I quote, 'That woman could have had your own father!'"

She shook her head. "I do miss her. Is she doing okay?"

Ivy nodded, closing her eyes. "As far as I know, she was in excellent health. Then again, I know nothing anymore. I fervently hope this homesickness goes away quickly," she sighed.

"Oh I'm sorry, dear," she said, quietly.

"Ma, all...Miss. Ivy's stuff has been put away," the boy, Colton, said striding in the room.

Ivy's eyes snapped open and she stood, abruptly. "This journey has been a long and weary one. Could I be excused to my room, ma'am?" Ivy asked, adressing the shocked Colton's mother.

"She does have manners," he responded, half shocked, half amused.

"Why yes, I do," she replied. "Not that you, a mere country boy, would know anything about that."

"Yes, Ivy, you may be excused," she sighed, apparently not knowing what to do.

Ivy rushed off to her new room, ready to be away from them all.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

110 Reviews

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:00 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Colton clenched his fists and his jaw.

"Colton, that was rude." Ma scolded softly.

"And what she did wasn't?" He growled.

"She's had a long rough journey. Please, be nice to her."

"Pa said the same thing." He replied as he took a deep breath. "I'm going to scout the east herd." He grabbed his hat and shoved it on his head storming out of the house. He saddleded his horse up as Ella walked over.

"Can I come?" She asked.

"Saddle up." He replied. She did and he mounted up. They rode off towards the East corral.

"Colt, Ella." A tall rider called from ahead of them.

"Hello, Adam." Colt smiled. Ella's cheeks got a little red as she smiled at him.

"What brings you out here?" She asked.

"I wanted to see if y'all needed any help." Adam replied his eyes on Ella. Colt knew the real reason for his visit, but he didn't mind. He liked Adam.

"We're heading to check the east herd right now. Then I'm sure mom would allow you to eat dinner with us." Colt grinned.

"THank you." Adam smiled.

They rode til dark then rode abck to the house brushing their horses down then walking inside.

"Hello, Adam." Ma smiled and gave the big man a hug.

"Ma'am." He smiled down at her. Ella set the table quickly as Ivy walked out.

"Adam this is Ivy. Ivy our neighbor Adam." Pa introduced.

"Sir." Ivy curtisied.

"Ma'am." Adam bowed jsut a little before they were sat down. Adam sat next to Ella Colt on his other side.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:03 am
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy sat across from the other two. This had been a horrible day and all she wanted to do was retire to her room for the rest of the evening.

She kept her posture perfect, as always and tried to ignore the others across form her. They thought her as rude and different. Had they even thought how new this was to her? No, so therefore she didn't care how 'new' and 'different' she might be to them.

"Excuse me sir," Ivy smiled politely, at their father.

"Yes, Miss. Ivy?" He asked, giving her a small smile in return.

"Could I be excused to go out for a small walk. I really would like some fresh air," she replied.

"Of course. Would you like me or Ella to go out with you to show you around a bit?" He asked, kindly.

Ivy shook her head a little too hard and he frowned. "I would just really like to be alone for a few minutes," Ivy said.

"Oh. Of course," the man smiled, sadly. He must have known how much she really hated this place and Ivy felt a little guilty. They had really done everything to welcome her here as warmly as possible. She guessed she could be a little more appreciative.

Ivy walked by, grabbing her umbrella, and smiled as warmly as she could at him. "I'm really grateful for you taking me in and all. I guess I never really gave you a proper thank you."

"You must be going through a tough time, Miss. Ivy. There is no need for that. We're glad to have you," he nodded.

"Please, no need for any more formalities. I'm going to be staying here for awhile, so please, just call me Ivy," she told him, walking out of the door. Ivy didn't think she could stand being called 'Miss' anymore. It just made her feel that mush more of a stranger to this place.

Opening the umbrella she walked down the path a little, sitting on a fallen log. She could fell her dress being picked at by the wood, something that tore at her nerves, but today she didn't care.

"I miss you, daddy," she sighed, closing her eyes. The lump in her throat grew until the tears seeped through her closed lids and down her cheeks.

Ivy had no one here. She was out of touch with her family and she hated this place. She was stranded here with that boy, Colton, and Ella. Neither of which she felt any good feeling towards. This was sure to be a long stay.

Ivy wiped her cheeks, standing gracefully. From now on she would be the Ivy from back home. She would NOT let those people walk over top of her. She was Ivy Amelia Rowatt and very soon, Colton and Ella both would realize exactly who they were dealing with.

110 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:29 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Colton said goodnight to Adam and then turned to go back inside.

"Please go find, Ivy." Pa said as he helped clear the table.

"Yes, sir." Colton nodded and slipped out on the pourch where Ella was waving goodbye to Adam who was riding off. He found Ivy heading back towards the house. "Come on, Pa wants us all back inside." He said. She nodded and they walked back in silence. When they got inside Ella was sitting on a rocking chair knitting another blanket for her hope chest. She had several already, but he knew she loved to knit and quilt.

"Colton, check on the animals." His pa said from sitting by the fire wiht his ma. He nodded and checked on them then came back inside and sat down on his normal bench getting his leather work and fixing the harnesses that they would use later on. There was a pounding on the door and he jumped up and opened the door.

"Hello, Brent, can I help you?" Colton asked as his father walked over.

"Banks been robbed, we need men to ride after the robbers." Brent said taking his hat of and nodding to the women.

"I'll go." Colton said turning and grabbing his hat and coat. He left his guns outside like his ma asked.

"We both will." His pa said.

"No, dear, let Colton go. We need someone here." His ma said putting a hand on his pa's shoulder.

"Alright. We're meeting an Buck's point." Brent was soon gone. Colton hurried out ot the barn and saddled his horse then grabbed his gun belt off the pourch. Ella and his ma hugged him before he mounted up and took off at a full run.

****:D If you don't have anything after this just do a time skip for when he comes back. I had nothing else. :P ****
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:36 pm
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy watched him ride out.

"Are we just going to sit here?" She asked.

Everyone looked at her as if she had grown a second head.

"Well, what else do you suppose we do?" Ella asked, hands on her hips. Obviously she hated me and I felt the same. I ignored her.

"Listen, where I lived women sat around and watched the men do all the work. Well, I'm in a new place and frankly, I don't feel the need to make first impressions. I want to go and help."

"Ivy, dear, this is a really dangerous job. I suggest that you just calm down a little, it's stressful for us all," said Ella's mom.

Ivy lifted her dress and walked outside, where a few horses waited. She patted the smaller ones nose.

"Ivy!" Their father yelled. "Your parents sent you out here to be safe. Is this a nice way to repay them? Besides, do you even know how to ride a horse?"

"I do. Back home, women who rode horses were actually seen as graceful and beautiful," She replied, defiance my strongest emotion. "And you are not my family. I don't even know you all. You do NOT tell me what to do!"

He grabbed her arm. "Ivy. Please see reason. You go out there and those boys will laugh. Women just don't go chasing the robbers. They will kill you. I-I forbide you to go and that's final."

Ivy sagged against her horse. He was right. She just wanted to do something. She was tired of being the perfect, polite girl who did as she was told. She only wanted to feel important. As a women, she was forced to sit at home all day, doing the chores. Ivy couldn't just change the way things were done.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, embaressed. "I'm going to retire for the night, if that's okay with you all. After all, it does appear that I will have to do whatever you say when you say it. I guess I'm only a puppet to you all."

Ivy didn't wait for a response. She walked into the room she was to share with Ella and ploped on the bed. A perfect ending to a perfect day.

**Just thought I'd get a little more of her pesonality in there. ^^ Ivy will be in the room when he comes back though**

110 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:51 pm
TNCowgirl says...

****I love her. :P Women never wanted to go after robbers, well most. :P ******

Colton rode back homeo the next morning exhausted with a bandage around his left upper arm where a bullet had knicked him. They had gotten the robbers though.

"COlton! Are you ok?" Ella asked walking out.

"Just fine, but I'm supposed to send you, ma, and Ivy if she'll go to Adam's house. He was hit in the arm and his dad took one in the chest. It missed vitals, but they'll need help." HE repleid dismounting. Ella took his horse and jumped on it. He pulled her off. "He's tired, go mount another horse." HE replied putting her on the ground as his ma led her to the barn.

"Ivy'll stay here. She hasn't come out of her room yet."

"Why?"

"She tried to follow you yesterday." His ma said. "Said she wanted to help."

"Good thing she didn't, she'd have been a henderance. A woman doesn't need to play iwth guns." HE hung his up and walked in the house and grabbed some bread and ham. He ate them while he heard his sister and ma ride over to Adam's place. It was at least a thirty minute ride.

"Where'd they go?" Ivy asked walking out of Ella's room.

"To help Adam and his Pa." He replied as he got some more food. He was hungry.

"Why?" SHe asked.

"Cause they got shot up real bad."

"I should help then." She replied heading towards the door.

"No, they'll have enough help, plus I'd have to go with you and I"m warn out."

"No you wouldn't."

"You don't know where their ranch is and it's not safe for a lady to ride by herself around here." He replied getting a glass of milk.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:11 pm
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy trembled. This was it. She had finally had it.

"I don't need anybody to ride with me. I am a lady and I will protect myself!" Ivy yelled, stomping up to him. "If someone came to attack me I will defend myself. Don't you dare tell me that I need some man to escort me everywhere I go!"

She took deep, heavy breaths, trying to calm down. Colton looked at her shocked. She hadn't really meant to blow up on him like that, but she was glad she did it.

"And here I had you labeled as a proper lady," Colton replied, coldly. "It's considered rude to scream at other people for trying to help you."

"I don't need your help," She replied. "In fact I'd rather you just leave me be."

Ivy stormed away from him, mounting the horse.

"Where are you going?" Colton asked, running after her. "You don't even know where to go!"

"I'll figure it out. I'm not going to just sit here. Lke I said, I don't need you," she smiled, riding away. At least now she could do something useful. There were still tracks from where Ella and her mother had rode. Ivy would just have to follow those to get to Adam and his fahter's ranch.

110 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:24 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Colton growled low in his throat. Did she not realize if she was going to protect herself she'd need a gun? Now he at least knew why she was sent out here. THat girl was crazy. He ran out to the barn and grabbed his other horse and tied his guns to his waist before racing after her. He caught up to her just as she got off their property.

"How are you going to protect yourself, may I ask?" He said as he pulled his horse even with hers.

***I don't know her answer. sorry it's short. :'(***
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:02 pm
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy ignored him and nudged her horse, urging her to go faster.

"So you ignore me?" He asked, either amused or annoyed.

"I can take care of myself," she spat back at him. "I don't need you."

"Look, this is not the place to go wandering off, alone," Colton replied, tiredly.

Ivy didn't respond, and Colton rode up beside her. "Why are you so stubborn?" He asked, exasperated. "They don't need you, okay."

"Then go back. I've already told you, I can take care of myself," Ivy smiled, calmly.

"How is that? You don't even have a gun," Colton laughed.

"Guns are not the only way to defend yourself. Besides, I'll quote you, 'A woman doesn't need to play with guns.' Please, I don't care to be around someone who thinks like that."

"Excuse me?" Colton asked, bemused.

"I'm tired of sitting around. I did at my own home, but I refuse to be the women that everyone pushes around. I'm not something you can just order around, so sir, if you'd excuse me, I'll be headed out now," she responded, just as calmly.

**As you can tell, she dosen't like to be pushed around. ^^ Oh and next time, TN, don't worry too much about what Ivy's response is. Just write what you think she'll say. (: I'm sure it'll be fine.

110 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:08 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

(((Ok)))

Colton grabbed the reins for her horse and pulled it to a stop.

"Listen, and listen good. This is not the east. You might think you can defend yourself without a gun, but every crook, indian, and anything else that would be out to harm you will have one and sure won't care about using it. You might think you can take care of yourself. And I think that's just fine. But you need to stop giving in to this....this fantisey that you can take care of yourself when you dont' even know where you are. Cause I'll tell you one thing, you followed the wrong trail. This was the trail that me and Adam made two days ago. You don't know how to read a trail, you don't know how to use a gun." He shook his head. "My sister knows how to do both. Yes I don't think that eastern women should know how to use them because they are to driven by their emotions which you are proving to me right now! You are letting your emotions and feelings drive you not common sense! Don't you get it? This isn't the east, things are different here. What women can and can't do are different. What is concidered gentlemenly is different, what is consedered right and wrong is different." He shook his head. "Back east it would be inproper for us to be alone, but out here it happens. It's still looked down on but sense your are a ward of my family it's different."
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:24 pm
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy was only half listening. "You listen here, just because I am from the east doesn't mean I'm incompetent," she said, quietly. For the moment Ivy was still calm.

"That's not the point. I never said you were incompetent, but you're not helping you're case at the moment," he replied.

"Now it's your turn to listen," Ivy hissed. "I realize this is not the east. I was forced out of my own home and placed here in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of rude, moronic country bumpkins who insist on me staying indoors and doing 'womanly' things. I am not some...some puppet you can order around. I wasn't born here so therefore I am not your perfect little sister who it seems, can do everything! I will do what I want when I want and I don't need yours or anyone elses permission to do it! Got it?"

She turned her horse around and started off towards the house. Ivy wasn't giving up yet, but she certainly didn't want to be around Colton. Ivy urged her horse into a gallop. She kept bumpng all around, this was probably the fastest that she had ever ridden a horse.

Ivy reached the stables and looked around, heading down the trail she had walked down earlier. Their was no point in trying to find Adam's ranch now, but she did want to be alone. No matter how 'dangerous' it was.

110 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:31 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

***Ok, they plan on slowly getting her used to life like normal. ****

Colton growled and followed her. What was wrong with this girl. Why couldn't she understand that they didn't want her to stay inside. WHen he followed her down the trail on foot he stopped her by grabbing her shoulder.

"SO you've been here for one day and you already know what we want? Is that it?"

"Yes, now leave me alone!" She growled. He laughed, he couldnt' not.

"You are the stupidest woman I have ever met! Did you ever think that hte reason we wanted you to stay inside was so that you could rest up from the trip, then we would slowly help you get used to life here. Ella isn't perfect, but she is used to this life. IT's hard, it's not like it is back east. You have to work really hard. Be up early and go to bed late. Given time we would've taught you to use a gun in time of need. At least we don't have to show you how to ride." He shook his head. "But you know what, do whatever. I'm not even going to argue with you anymore. You're stubborn, and if you want to find out these things the hard way, be my guest. But never ever say those things about my family again. Cause I swear you do it and I'll haul you back to town and put you on the next stage east. If you give me a fight I"ll leave you in town, let the locals put up with you. And knowing htem they'll leave you to the drunks. You want to know how harsh reality is here when you know nothing, then fine. THere." He turned and stormed off to the house. That girl needed to go back east where she belonged. She didn't know the first thing about living out here.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:49 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

**Okay, TN. ^^ I figured so much, but as you can see, good ole Ivy dosen't really care. She's rather stupid. (: Oh and just for future reference, Ivy really can protect herself. Her father taught her pressure points and defensive moves because she was an easy target to get to her father, who was a rich man of power.**

Ivy strode after him.

"I'll say what I want, Colton!" She yelled. "And guess what, I'll be looking foward to going home, back east! At least thier are true gentlemen there! Oh and I'd like to see you try and leave me for those so called drunks. You couldn't do it even if you wanted!"

"You wanna bet?" He growled.

Ivy smiled. and stopped her pace. "Only if you insist. Go on and walk away, but just remember that you do not tell me what to do. I'll say whatever I want and your so called threats just bounce right off of me. You can't do anything."

Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence