z

Young Writers Society

Hiding

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:15 am
SeleneForeverDream says...

Estelle Veranda

The wood seemed to be closing in around us, trees beginning to narrow and make us slow so the hunters behind us could catch us. All I heard as I raced for my life was the pounding of my horse's hooves against the forest floor and my sister, Abigayle, gasping in panic as the hunters neared us.

I prayed to the Lord that we could make it to Trumington. It was a small village a few miles away where people were and we'd have a better chance of hiding. The forest we were in seemed never-ending, for we had galloped through it for hours, our hearts throbbing in fear and racing along the trees to be free of the hunters. They never seemed to tire as they followed for miles and miles, but eventually our horses would and that is what I feared most.

The trees finally parted into a small opening where I knew a small knoll would be, and beyond that our freedom. Trumington was close, so I signaled Abigayle to take one last turn over towards it. We feinted left and right, but we couldn't seem to lose the horsemen on our tail. When we reached the knoll, where an incline was going towards the village, I yelled out,

"We have to jump!" Abigayle seemed horror-stricken and shook her head. I didn't know if it was grassy or not, but I knew the horsemen wold not follow. It was our only chance. I rode up by my sister's horse and grabbed her wrist as we reached the incline.

"Now!" And we fell towards the earth.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:59 am
Linx says...

Abigayle Veranda

Ow...

"Are you okay?" Estelle asked me, after a minute or so. As soon as we got to the bottom of the knoll, we fell of our horses.

"I think so," I replied back. "Where are we?"

"Trumington. We'll be safe here once we find someone to help us."

I closed my eyes as I remembered the scenes from eariler. With mom and dad.....

"Let's go then."
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

146 Reviews

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Estelle Veranda

I was right, the horsemen didn't follow. We made our way over to the village without any followers. I tried to remain as inconspicuous as possible, hiding in the shadows and crouching down in the grass, but when we reached the lights coming from Trumington, it was all unnecessary. The village streets were crowded with people, even at night, with people selling goods and men coming out of taverns. It was alive with merriment.

"We better go find an inn for the night." I said. Abigayle nodded as she looked warily at the crowds and walked over towards Trumington Inn.
Got YWS?

228 Reviews

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:30 pm
Linx says...

Abigayle Veranda

We opened the door to the end and the tiny bell tinkled. The lady at the counter looked up.

"Oh." She looked at our now dirty and torn dresses. "How may I help you ladies?"

"We need a room for at least the night," Estelle spoke up, using her clear authority voice.

"Okay, do you have the money for it?" She asked, looking at us again.

"Of course we do," I snapped.

146 Reviews

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:07 pm

I looked down at our clothes, raggedy and torn. Well, as long as we look the part we might as well play it...

"I have just enough coins for tonight, but I'm afraid that's all I can spare." I said in a weak voice, probably over-doing it. My sister gave me an incredulous look as I handed a few small coins over to the woman.

"Oh, that's just enough, dear. Now what did you say your names were?" Abigayle and I exchanged looks and then looked at the lady.

"Um... my name is Alleison. Alleison Smith." my sister said, trying out her new name.

"My name is Ellen Smith." I quickly added. Who would question such an over-used name? The lady smiled and nodded, jotting us down in her tiny, worn notepad. She gave us a room key and directions to our room. As soon as we were walking away from her, Abigayle turned to me.

"What are we supposed to be, poor?" she hissed. I nodded as I jingled the key into the lock.

"Precisely." I whispered.
Got YWS?

228 Reviews

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:10 am
Linx says...

"But...but...."

"Now, come on sis! We've been through worse things. You can suck it up."

I just crossed my arms and looked away.

We got to the room to find that it was actually, a pretty nice room. Estelle, or should I say Ellen, ran arcorss the room and fell onto the bed.

"I am tired. Aren't you?"

I said nothing and just walked over to the other bed, sitting down.

146 Reviews

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:00 am

Our night hadn't been the best, but after we fell asleep and woke up to the early morning sunlight streaming in through our windows, we were aching, but felt better. I was happy just because we were away from the Hunters and there was porridge for breakfast. The smell wafted up from downstairs where the lady was cooking over her hearth, having every room fill with it's rich aroma.

Instead of feeling grateful, Abigayle wrinkled her nose at the smell.

"What is that?" she asked, disgusted. She would be even more surprised when it was plopped down in front of her in a few moments.

"Breakfast." I replied as I began to dress and head downstairs.
Got YWS?

228 Reviews

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:59 pm
Linx says...

You're kidding me, right?

"Do you expect me to feel grateful, or something?" I whispered angrily to my sister.

"Of course!" She looked surprised. "We have a place to stay and something to eat. We are not royalty anymore."

"I know that," I whispered sharply, but the words cut through my heart. It made me realize everything that has happened.

Mom....Dad....

146 Reviews

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:22 pm

*Sorry I haven't posted in so long!*

Her face fell slightly from her angry expression to a more desolate look, but only for a moment. Then she was close to livid.

"I'll be in my room." she said in a calm, deadly voice as she turned on her heel towards the room. "Don't bother picking me up anything."

But of course I didn't really listen to her and brought her some porridge with sugar and cinnamon. It smelled wonderful, a rich warm aroma, but I had had a small helping of it down stairs. I wanted to make it seem like that was all I could have, so I went for the smallest portion possible. I downed it in a few spoonfuls, letting my stomach keep growling for more. When I told the woman "Alleison" couldn't come downstairs because she was ill, she sympathized by giving me a hot, huge bowl of porridge that was said to be her "special" plate she saved for her customers.

I tip-toed into the room and quietly set the plate on the table. Even though I tried my best not to make a sound, she still heard my soft foot steps and turned around to face me.
Got YWS?

228 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:01 am
Linx says...

"I told you I didn't want anything." I was mad. Why couldn't my sister listen to me for once?

"You have to eat something, and this is the only thing to eat," said "Ellen" as she looked at me in such a way that it reminded me a lot like mom.

I shook away the thought. Pull your self together Abigayle.

"Okay, but we need to think of a plan."

"What?" My sister looked at me curiously.

"We need to know what we are going to do. Are we going to stay here? Are we going to work? What are we going to do?"

"Well, let's think." She said. We sat down and talked, sister to sister; fugitive to fugitive.

146 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:39 pm

"Well I think our best way of escape is to stay here," I said. "because, frankly, I am sick and tired of running away." I saw Abigayle nod, so I went on. "We could try and blend into this society."

"How?" she questioned. "How could we live amongst paupers?" I shrugged.

"You blend in." I looked at her seriously, but for some reason she burst out laughing.

"Your not serious." she chuckled to herself, but I think she knew I was dead serious. Her laughing died down as my face remained set in stone, so resolute to the decision already made.

"We'll find work and somewhere to reside." I stated firmly. "I believe this may be the only way we won't be found."
Got YWS?

228 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:50 pm
Linx says...

Oh gosh...

"We have enough money to stay here for a couple of more nights. Maybe we could go out and try to find a job, then find a place to stay for a long amount of time."

"Good idea," my sister said, thinking. "How much money do we have left?"

I grabbed the bag and dumped the contents on the table. The gold coins were spread out over the table; clearly enough to stay a couple of more nights.

"Okay."

"Yes, it's okay. Plus, we are going to need to know more about this Trumington place. Why have I never heard it before?" I asked.

"Because it's small. That's why it's a perfect place to hide. No one would think to come here."

146 Reviews

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:32 pm

It was our last result, but our best way of escape from the life we left behind, the memories, and more importantly, the hunters who would not rest until they saw us on our grave. We had to practice our new role in life, but I knew we could do it.

"Abi, what job should we have?" I asked. It was usually her asking the questions, but nothing came to mind. When it came to living a regal lifestyle, I could easily manage it, but when it was living the life of everyone else around me, the common folk, I didn't have a clue.

"I thought you would know." she accused playfully. I sighed while I picked at the hem of my torn dress. We certainly did look our role, I thought absently. Then my mind turned towards my sister. What did paupers do for living?

"I suppose we could be seamstresses. The pay isn't all too bad." I wrinkled my nose at the thought, but I knew we needed jobs or we could simply beg off the streets.
Got YWS?

228 Reviews

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 pm
Linx says...

"Fine," my sister sighed. That usually wasn't like her. I was the one who usually sighed.

"But while we are here," Estelle groaned as I started, "I want to find out more about who killed our parents."

"Abigayle!" She looked at me like I was crazy. "We can't do that!"

"Well, why not?" I argued. "I am not going to just sit down and pretend like it never existed. I want to know what's going on."

"Fine. We'll start looking around tomorrow, jobs and hunters. Okay?"

"Fine." I sat down on my bed and looked out the window.

146 Reviews

Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:06 pm

The new day came quickly and I was anxious to get started on all that we had to do.

"Rise and shine!" I tore the covers off of my sister, making her groan and roll onto her side.

"It's not wake-up time yet," she grumbled while groping for her covers. I pulled them away and helped her up. She was rubbing her eyes and moaning about not being able to sleep in while I shoved her a bowl of porridge I had gotten for her an hour before. Abigayle gulped it down in a heartbeat, greedily licking the bowl for a few droplets more. We were both starting to realize what being a pauper truly meant.

When we were downstairs the lady down in the main tavern room called to us.

"Glad to see your feeling better Alleison!" This confused Abigayle, making her look towards me with a glare.

"She's glad too, and I as well." I told the woman. She smiled and nodded in acknowledgment.
Got YWS?

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright