z

Young Writers Society

What the Shadow's Whisper

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:47 am
Chupatoasta says...

Arden O'Brian had never been what most would call 'normal'. In fact, many of the other young men and women her age thought of her as a freak. They all claimed to watch her talk to animals. They said that she would walk out of a wolf den, unharmed, or stand before an angry bear without fear. These claims, of course, were only laughed at by the older people of the town as if they were some joke. There was one young man, however, that didn't taunt, or tease Arden about her strange behavior. She didn't know his name, nor did she know anything about him. All she knew was that he wasn't one that liked to socialize much.

"Arden! Get your lazy butt up out of bed! C'mon on now. I need you to run to the bakery and pick me up some fresh loaves of bread." A ginger and grey haired woman with pale green eyes poked her daughter in the side, jolting her out of bed and onto the floor. Arden groaned and stood up, only to crawl over to her wardrobe and quickly dress in a fresh pair of everyday clothes. She tied the bodice tight around her upper body and slipped on a pair of simply leather shoes.

"Bye Mom. Leaving now." She yawned simply and raked her fingers through her semi-long, fiery auburn hair.
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:13 am
Bleeding Rose says...

He was waiting for Arden to emerge from the covering of her porch. He waited patiently breathing barely. He was in the shadow of a tree. His shadow stretched across the grass as he stood. Arden stepped carefully down each step still half asleep. Roland smirked at her elegant glide that, to humans, was passed of as a pace, sprint, or leap. Roland had to come out of his form when the sun had hit him and he realized that there was no more dark patches for him to travel in. He did so and felt a single bead of sweat roll down from his brow. He didn't notice how hard he was concentrating. Arden walked into the bakery uneasily. Roland turned to raspy voice of an elderly woman.

"Now young man, I have only seen you around a few times. She is a good choice you know. She is very delicate and fragile though. Be careful," she said swaggering an unsteady and wrinkled finger at him. All roland could do was smile and nod. That's all he knew how to do when he was spoken to. He was a shy young man and very sensitive. A romantic soul if you ask me. He knew how to be polite but only with gestures. Words rarely flew from his naturally curled lips. His bouncy, curly, brown locks were wild but well kept. He was madly in passionate love with Arden O'Brian. He loved her since he first feasted his eyes upon her. He fell asleep to the sound of her silent snore and woke to her morning yawn. I am sure that you have already noted that he is a man with no where to be and no where to go. He found pleasure in following her. He refused to call it stalking. He watched her come from the bakery door carrying a loaf of bread. He wanted so badly to make her drop it and then help her carry it and possibly buy her another loaf. He just couldn't find it in himself to do it. He beat her home and placed a wrapped box of butterflies on her bed longside a lonesome white rose with a red stain on each of the petals. The funny thing about this rose was it was stained with Roland's blood so it wouldn't die until he did. He hid to watch her emotion. Her footsteps were light and soundless. He always knew when she was near. She entered the room and walked to the bed. He sat in the shadow of her closet as he watched the turquoise bow being untied and dropped to the floor.
Rite 2 meh lyk dis...and I shoot you.~Unknown
I'm the future of America. Be afraid. Be very afraid~Unknown
If you're blonde and you know it clap your hands *Snap* *snap*
If you're reading this...you're finished reading.

23 Reviews

Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:49 am
Chupatoasta says...

Arden cocked her head to the side, confused as she slowly untied the tight turquoise bow and dropped it to the floor, amazed as an array of butterflies shot out of the box, flying over her head rapidly. Arden smiled lightly, now wide awake, as one of the butterflies landed on her nose. She laughed lightly and walked over to her window, opening it widely. Slowly the butterflies drained out of her room until the one on her nose was the last. Even it too soon left, leaving Arden feeling slightly empty.

She pushed the feeling away and closed her window with a light sigh as she walked back over to her bed, where a white rose still sat. She smiled and ran downstairs, filling a small vase with fresh water and setting the rose gently into it. "Oh, Arden that's beautiful! Where'd you get it?!" Cried her mother. Arden simply shrugged her shoulder.

"It was on my bed when I walked into my room, along with a box of butterflies. Mother, it was the most beautiful thing ever!" Arden's mother just shook her head and laughed.

"Okay, okay." She dismissed Arden, who was back in her room within a few bounds. Arden placed the vase on her bedside table and made her bed up, embarrassed that is was such a mess to begin with.
George Bernard Shaw

Random avatar

Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:02 am
Bleeding Rose says...

Roland smiled as she made her bed, happy that it was him who put the smile on her face. He sat in the shadows watching every step she took. Arden started towards the shower. She stripped from her bottoms and he closed his eyes scared. He rushed out knocking the vase that held the rose over. Arden screamed and jumped removing a shadow from place, revealing a part of Roland. He ran faster and jumped out the open window. He heard Arden's mother rush into her room asking if she was okay over and over. He made it to the tree line and kicked the leaves up then hitting a tree with his fist. It cracked the skin and he bled. He was never known to be the strongest boy. He laughed as the blood dripped.

"Stupid me," he whispered to himself. He leaned and slid down an Oak tree placing his face in the palms of his hands. He heard the snap of a twig and jerked his head in the direction it came from, dissolving into the shadows. It was a little girl. Roland smirked at how small she was and how she resembled Little Red Riding Hood. It gave him an idea. He set off to the fabric store. He was going to make Arden a red dress with a hood. He was going to need someone's help. As he set off for the fabric store he was also in search for an elderly lady that he had recently talked to.

23 Reviews

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:40 pm
Chupatoasta says...

Arden pulled her bottoms back on and hurried passed her mother, into her room where the vase was tipped over, the water was spilled across on the floor, and, thankfully, the rose was unharmed. Arden picked the rose up gingerly and walked into her bathroom, filling the vase again before dropping the rose back into it. When she went back into her room her mother was drying the water. "Mother, I could have done that," she whispered lowly, eyes downcast as she set the rose on her table again.

"It's fine. Are you okay? Why'd you scream?" Her mother asked, standing up. Should Arden tell her about the boy that she had seen? No. That would only lead to disaster.

"Ah, the wind blew in from the window and his the vase, which knocked it over," she lied, regreting it slightly. She hated lying to her mother.

"Oh, okay. Remember to close this window. There are so many stalkers these days," Arden just nodded as her mom walked out. She walked over to her window and closed it, opening it back up slowly. She didn't want to close it. Maybe that boy would came back and she could confront him.

"Arden!" She flinched at her fathers voice and ran to the main room where he stood.

"Yes sir?"

"Go to the fabric store for your mother. She's going to make me some gloves before I head off again." Arden nodded sadly and once again set off towards town.
George Bernard Shaw

Random avatar

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:48 am
Bleeding Rose says...

"Ah, Young stalker. How are you my boy," the elderly woman questioned. He nodded in response.

"Ma'am, I don't mean to bother you, but may you create a dress like this? Only, in rose red velvet fabric?" he asked. He turned to the ding of the door as Arden walked in. The woman nodded and said something, but Roland wasn't listening. He couldn't disappear either because Arden was now walking towards him. He flinched as she glided briskly across the floor past him, showering him with her elegant scent. He glanced at the tail of her dress. Roland stared at her hungrily wanting to feel her on his skin, wanting to taste her lips on his. Arden glanced at him also.

"Tell me, what is your name? I have seen you around so many times but never actually confronted you," she said staring at Roland, her eyes flickering like a candle in the darkness. He looked to his feet scared to speak. The elderly tailor tapped Arden on the shoulder.

"Darling, he never talks.l He is...what you say a mime. If he had a father, he probably wouldn't even know his name, but he is a bastard. Not even a mother to look up to," she said turning getting bored with her own words. Roland knew what she said was true. It hurt him, though. He looked up to Arden's eyes focusing on him. He, seared, backed away slowly.

"Do wait. It will take only a few minutes for her to make a pair of gloves. Maybe we could-" she turned away for an instant and Roland took advantage of it blending in with the shadow of the midday sun. He watched her still for he was in love.

**sorry it takes so long for replies. My laptop died so i have to use a friends computer right now.

23 Reviews

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:31 pm
Chupatoasta says...

**That's fine :D **

Arden turned back around, only to find him gone. She sighed depressingly before the tailor woman tapped her on the shoulder, slipping a pair of gloves in her hand. Arden thanked her, almost silently, and handed her the silver. She slipped out of the store quickly, hoping to avoid the many young men and women her age that were coming out of their houses at this time. They'd picked on her since she was just a young child. "Hey lookie here men. It's lil' miss animal girl," a harsh voice rumbled, other joining in. Arden stuffed the gloves in her blouse and picked up her pace. "Animal girl!" Two large hands clasped themselves on Arden's upper arms, picking her up and suspending her above ground. "I was talkin' to you girlie," he young man spat rudely.

"Let me go, filthy mongrel!" Arden snarled and spat in the man's eye. He let out a shout of surprise, dropped Arden on the ground, and stumbled backwards. Arden turned to take off, only to become trapped by the other men.

"You bloody whench!" The man took a swing at her, his large, calloused fist making a disgusting impact with Arden's jaw. "Well?! What are you fools standing around for? Get her!"

As quickly as they'd came the men disappeared. Arden moaned painfully and to stumbled to her feet her feet, wiping her glazed eyes angrily. When she got to her home her mother immediately went on red alert. "Arden, darling, what happened to you? You're bruised everywhere! And your lip! Split completely! What happened?!"

"Nothing mother. I fell, that's all," Arden handed her mother her father's gloves and started up the stairs.

"Arden," the familiar booming voice of her father demanded her presence.

"Yes, father?" She walked back into the main room, where her mother and father sat next to each others.

"I know what happens when you fall, which always happens. And, I'm sorry, but that's no fall injury. Did those townspeople beat you up again?" Arden turned her back to her parents, shaking her head.

"No sir, now, if I may, I'm going to head up to my room," without an answer Arden hurried to her bedroom and locked the door behind her, plopping on her bed and staring at her ceiling until nightfall.
George Bernard Shaw

Random avatar

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:04 am
Bleeding Rose says...

The night fell as fast as the sun rises. Roland had seen what the men had done to Arden. He was focused on the one who had made the first hit. He stared at the man as he slept. Roland rolled across the floor swiftly and clasped his hands into the mans neck. His fingers sinking inside his throat. It wasn't long and his pulse was no more. Roland smiled and left. He listened to the scream of the mans woman and took the joy in immidiately. Any single person who had the heart to harbor a filth like him was sick themselves. It wasn't long until he was looking at Arden laying in her bed staring at the ceiling. He wanted to talk to her badly. He decided he would at least tell her his name and that would be all.

"Roland. My name is Roland," he said with a smile. Arden jumped at his voice. He stood quickly and caught her before she hit the floor making such a racket. "I am sorry madame. I did not mean to startle you," he spoke the words beautifully as they fell out of his lovely british mouth. Arden started at him as he sat her on the bed.

"How did you get in here?" she asked stressing every word.

"Does it really matter? Not to be rude, but I do believe that is my buisness. Sure, it is your house but..." he stopped. "Forgive me. I came through your window. I thought I would at least tell you my name. I am afraid I have to go. This may be the only time we talk, ever," and with that he was gone. Arden stared into the darkness petrified.

**Is that good?**

23 Reviews

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:55 am
View Likes
Chupatoasta says...

**Yup! Is your computer back up?**

Arden stared out the window, all terror soon gone as the cool breeze blew against her lightly. She closed her window and hurried downstairs, out the door, and into the forest without saying a thing to her parent. They knew she'd be back. After getting deeper into the forest she leaned against a large tree, breathing deeply. "Roland..." she felt like an idiot. What if she'd been seeing things and now she was just talking to herself? "You don't have to answer me right now, but if you're there," she hung her head slightly, "at least listen to me. I would love to know if you've been the one s- no, watching me for a while." There was something that drew her to him, even though she could've just made of the young man that gave off that god-like aura.

"Why won't you talk to me?" She asked after maybe an hour of silence. "Jeez, you're making me feel more foolish than I already do Roland. I won't judge you, if that's what you think, and I certainly won't hurt you." She sighed again, resting her face in her hand. So he had been something she'd made up. Nobody, much less a young man, would want anything to do with her other than her family.
George Bernard Shaw

Random avatar

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:29 pm
Bleeding Rose says...

Roland listened to her words.

This is why I shouldn't of said anything to her. God damn me. No, don't. You already have. I guess I will have to talk to her a little each week. Maybe if I just say goodnight...

With that he was at her window staring into her eyes. He jumped and his hand slipped. Arden rushed to catch his hand.

"What are you doing?" Roland whispered fiercely.

"Oh, I was praying...for you to come back...yah," Arden replied. Her head was down and Roland watched her cheeks turn rose.

"I was just coming to say good night...so, good night," he said. He found himself brushing hair out of her face as the wind fought against him.

"Wait. You are real aren't you? I mean, I am not dreaming this?"

"I'm afraid not, madame. To prove it...the forest. Tomorrow. I stay there. Come to the exact center and I will find you."

"How will I know it's the exact center?"Arden asked not believing what was happening.

"Oh, you will know. It is beautiful. Now I really must go. Your mum is coming up to check on you. Go lay down, close your eyes, and breathe slowly." and, once again, he was gone.

23 Reviews

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:35 am
Chupatoasta says...

Arden suddenly felt the vibrations of her mother's feet on the stairs. She hurried over to her bed and slid under the single cover, closing her eyes and slowing her breath. Her mom came in, brushed a lock of hair out of Arden's face. Her fingers grazing the same place Roland's had. Mrs. O'Brian left as quickly as she had came and with her leaving, Arden shot out of bed, pulling a forest green dress out of her wardrobe for the next day.

The next morning Arden was out of bed and ready by sun up. She took her horse, a beautiful jet black stallion, out of the stables and hurried towards the center of the woods, in complete awe at the sight before her.
George Bernard Shaw

Random avatar

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30 pm
Bleeding Rose says...

Roland jumped as Arden's petite, gentle feet crunched the autumn leaves beneath her. He felt a smile creep across his cheeks. He dropped from the tree he was in and found himself standing before her. Arden leaped back causing the stallion to shuffle his feet and trip foward.

"I told you I was real," Roland said smirking. Arden looked at him and examined the fine toned body of a man before her. She smiled and pushed past him carefully. She noticed that her fingers didn't touch him and she swore that she was within arms reach of him.
Oh, it's just a trick of the mind, she thought. "It is so beautiful! Do you stare at this beauty all day? All night?"

Roland nodded. "Yes...yes I do," he said watching Arden. She was speechless of the beauty. And so was Roland.

23 Reviews

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:00 am
Chupatoasta says...

Chup

Arden leaned against a tree beside her for support. The beauty of it all was almost to much to take in. Almost. "It's really something Roland. It's too much for words in all truth," she smiled crookedly back at him. Her horse walked out into the small clearing, his head lowering to graze. Arden ran a slim hand down the dark animal's neck before taking a deep breath. She glanced up at the sky, the sun beating down on her rather comfortably. It was as if the rays filled her body with warmth.

"Yes, it certainly is. I sometimes get lost within my own thoughts and stay out here hours at a time, just watching the scenery." Roland stated, causing Arden to spin around and smile at him.

"So, how long have you been around here Roland?"

Elly

She caught him. He thought about his answer before telling her. He replied in the wisest way he could.

"A while," he said. He glanced up at her as she smiled. "How about you?"

"Since I was a baby, I presume," she replied grinning. Roland was absolutely astounded. Her smile seemed to match her personality so well. They stood in silence for a few moments. He scrubbed his foot into the leaves.

"So, um, what's your favorite color," he asked shyly.

"That would have to be blue. Yours?"

"Probably turquoise," Roland answered back. He looked into Arden's eyes and something seemed to click.

"Were you the one who left the box of butterflies on my bed? With the turquoise ribbon?" Roland nodded. He would never lie, but he was ashamed that she had confronted him about that. He tilted his head up to be met by her glaze. He was much taller than her.

"Thank you," she said nicely. She seemed to lean to give him a hug. He stepped into it, also stepping out of the shadow. He wasn't ready to tell her his secret yet. The embracement seemed to be so right for both of them. It turned Roland's cheeks a bright, rosy, red. It was a friendly one, though he wished it was more.

Chup

Arden smiled cheekily when she pulled away from Roland, whose cheeks were bright red. "Are you getting a fever?" She smiled worriedly, pressing the back on her hand to his forehead. "You do seem a little warm." She was only teasing him, hoping he realized that and didn't think she was some idiot.

"I-I'm fine!" Roland shot quickly, causing Arden to giggle softly.

"I'm kidding," she smiled, sticking her tongue out playfully. "How old are you by the way?" She smiled, softly, her eyes dancing with his.

"Umm... I'm twenty," he answered after a prolonged silence, the blush still resting itself on his cheeks, "and you?" As if he didn't already know. However, Arden had no idea that he knew.

"Seventeen, soon to be eighteen." She smiled dreamily and sat in the grass, twirling a little bit of it in her fingers. "I can't wait."

"And why is that?" Roland took a seat before Arden, his body resting in the shadows.

"Well, one can only have so much of their parents. Not that I don't love mine, they're just extremely over-protective of me since I'm the town freak show." She laughed softly, her brow creasing. "I'm going to leave this town, and start anew, you know? Somewhere where nobody will know of me." Her dreamy smile grew. "Somewhere where I'll be able to walk the streets without having to worry when the next immature practical joke will be played on me." She shook her head with a smile. "Did you leave your home when you were old enough as well?"

Elly

Roland closed his eyes, not wanting to pull that memory from his head. Instead of answering her question directly he said, "I know how it feels...being the town freakshow," there was a short pause before continuing, "I never really had parents. I was raised by my older brother and it wasn't long after I had turned twelve, that he had caught a severe sickness sending him to his deathbed. You have no idea how lucky you are. Sometimes I just wish I had someone to love me again," he said looking at his shoes. He stared at them for the longest time, his eyes debating whether to release tears or not. He looked back up after several minutes of silence. "Don't rush anything. Enjoy it while you can. Having a special quality shouldn't level you out from normal, but it does. Sometimes you just have to remember that you have them for a reason, and that you're lucky you have them," he replied. Arden had realized that he had finished.

"Why would I be lucky to have that said special quality?" Roland looked up at her and smiled.

"Because without them...you would be normal. Do you want to walk while we get to know eachother better," Roland questioned. The rose on his cheeks started to return pale once again. Arden smiled.

"Sure," she replied. He put his hand on the small of her back showing her a small covered trail. He walked beside her, hands behind his back, answering every question that came his way. Arden returned the favor except her hands were folded neatly in front of her. The horse noticed that we were leaving him, so he trotted behind them, quite a distance away.

Chup

Arden smiled up at Roland, the feeling of being short long passed. Her horse, Dare, whinnied and trotted a little faster until he was next to her, nosing her hair frantically. "What is it you crazy thing?" She smiled with a laugh, shrugging his head off of her. He snorted and stopped walking, whinnying again. Now Arden was worried. She stopped walking as well, shooting a glance full of worry at Roland, who was looking around their surroundings. Arden hurried over to Dare's side, resting her hand on his nose and staring him in the eyes. "What's wrong," she asked, her voice gentle.

Wolves in the forest. Many of them. She managed to pick out the words in Dare's frantic rambling.

"Are they sick Dare? Will they attack?" Sick basically meant rabid, but she didn't expect the young stud to understand that.

They're hungry. Starving. Looking for meal. Arden nodded once, turning to Roland. He had his back turned to her, tense and alarmed.

"Roland?" She asked softly, stepping into the sun rays that danced across the lush forest ground. A loud howl pierced the silence around her, causing her to gasp. The howl had sounded... almost painful. A following growl echoed around Arden, causing her to spin around, soon facing three large wolves that were emerging from the underbrush, their eyes filled with starvation.

Elly

Roland turned around stepping towards Arden and embracing her pulling her into the shadows. The wolves had already been aquainted with Roland before. They knew how he was. The leader huffed and continued on their way, past Arden and Roland. He let go of Arden as she fully returned to her flesh form. He scratched the back of his head.

"Shall we continue," he asked pointing his hands in the way of the trail. She looked at him awed and nodded. Once again he touched the small of her back lightly as his hand came in the way of the midday sun. She grinned when he did. Their day was a simple one. Just friends in past lives becoming friendly again. It seemed that everyword Arden spoke Roland felt more passion for her. He looked up and the sun was setting. They had already made it back to the center of the forest. He looked at her and back to his shoes.

"I guess it's getting late. You should be heading back," he said rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah. I had a great time, Roland. Thank you," she said. It wasn't but three seconds that she had finished her sentence, she felt Rolands cold lips touch her cheek. She was apalled. She turned to look at him but he was no where to be found.

Chup

Arden couldn't help but wear a cheeky smile as she grabbed Dare's reigns, walking back towards the end of the forest. Her fingers danced across her cheek, the skin tingling from the touch of Roland's lips. Dare snorted, nuzzling her hair gently. She smiled up at the large animal and rested her hand on his neck. The day had certainly been one to remember, however she didn't understand all that happened when the wolves appeared. Roland had grabbed her and pulled her into the shadows. The wolves had stared at him, then growled and moved on. It was certainly to strange for words.

"Arden! Where have you been girl?!" Arden glanced up quickly, seeing her mother run out of the house at full speed and envelope her in a hug, her father right behind.

"I was... walking in the forest." She raised an eyebrow as her mom inspected her for any cuts or bruises. "Mum, I'm fine really."

"You were gone for hours Arden! We were worried sick!" She winced when her father raised his voice. He was never known to be a loud man, but when he was it wasn't exactly fun and games.

"Father, I did nothing wrong. I simply went for a stroll in the forest!" She didn't want to come off as if she was arguing, but she didn't want to be accused for something she didn't do.

"Yes, without telling us! We had thought the villagers had done something to you, or that maybe a wild animal had gotten a hold of you. You're grounded. Tomorrow you'll work around the farm and stay on the property. Do you understand?" Arden didn't answer. "I asked you a question Arden."

"Yes father, I understand. May I go put Dare up?" She asked, sighing in defeat.

"I'll do it, you go get ready for dinner." Arden's grip tightened on Dare's reigns, but she let go reluctantly, following her mother into the house.

Elly

Roland sat by his favorite tree watching Arden. That made him so angry that he had kept her out that long. He didn't mean to, but he just really got to know her. He didn't see why she didn't blame Roland for it. He was sure that her parents could of been a little happy that someone loved her. He kept thinking about the way she walked next to him, and the way that her warm cheek was pressed against his lips. He grinned as he walked to the center of the forest. He walked into a cave not far from there and he stripped from his clothing crawling into a hot spring. It stung his cold skin at first, but it also felt nice. He bathed and then just sat there thinking about her.

Chup

Arden sunk down into her hot bath water, glaring at the door in front of her just because. Her fiery red hair floated in the water aimlessly around her, her nose and eyes the only things out of the water. "Arden, hurry up! Supper's ready!" Arden sighed and washed her hair quickly before pulling her body out of the hot water.

She dried off and pulled her clothes on before walking down the stairs. She tied her hair up and took a seat at the table. Her mother laid the food onto it, pouring some water into the three cups. Arden wondered blankly if Roland was eating at the same time, or if he wasn't eating at all. That thought worried her.

"So, how was your stroll?" Arden glanced up at her mother, who wore a bright smile. It was as if Arden's grounding was forgotten. Yeah, right.

"It was... enjoyable. I met someone. A very kind person." She was careful not to say too much of Roland.

"Oh, really? And was this person your age? Was it a man or woman? What did you two talk about?" Arden couldn't help but notice how happy her mother appeared to be.

"It was a young man, around my age, and we just talked of different things. Nothing much." She smiled, avoiding telling her mother about everything else.

"Do you hear that Travis?! A boy!" Her mother's smile was contagious, and soon had Arden smiling softly. Her father grunted, digging his fork into his food irratably.

Elly

Roland decided to get out when he noticed that his fingers where beginning to prune. Hot water was something else that turned him completely flesh. It was really heat that did that to him. He rose from the pool of water and pulled on a fresh pair of trousers. He was still thinking about Arden. He wondered how she was doing, or what she was doing. He smiled at the rememberance of how bright her hair was. He walked outside without bothering to put a shirt on. He walked outside of the cave and noticed the colors of the sky as the sun started to settle into the horizon. He sat down in the middle of the forest, his stomach aching. He hadn't eaten in a complete week. He laid down on his back and waited until the stars came out. He stared up into the sky looking at all of the wonderous constellations.

Chup

Arden bid her mother and father a goodnight, secretly slipping some food off the table as she ran upstairs, locking the door behind her. She wrapped the food up in a napkin, silently opening her window. All she was going to do was sneak out and see if Roland had anything to eat. If he did, then fine, but if not, well that's what the food was for. Arden slid out the window, climbing down carefully by resting her bare feet on the crevices of the stone here and there. Her mother and father were in the study, talking quietly as they cuddles.

Silent as a mouse. She thought with an accomplished smile, hurrying to the forest. A squirrel ran across the branches above her, trying to get home before a predator got to it. She smiled and slunk through the forest, stepping around all the fallen trees and thorn brushes. She finally reached the clearing with a smile, seeing Roland staring up at the sky. The moon illuminated his form and caused Arden to stay still for far too long, just staring at him. She finally shook herself out of her trance and stepped into the clearing, the food hanging limply out of her hand.

Elly

Roland jerked his head towards Arden. He stood up.

"Hi," he whispered. "Um, I don't have a shirt that's clean right now, sorry if it makes you uncomfortable," he said shyly. She shrugged.

"No, it's fine. I brought you some food, that is if you're hungry," she said holding up the napkin. He stared at it.

"I am pretty hungry," he said looking up at her. She stepped towards him handing him the napkin.

"Good, because I wasn't going to take it back," she said grinning.

"Thank you," he said opening it and eating easily.

"It's beautiful out here," she said looking up at the sky.

"Yeah, I love it," he replied. "So, you're grounded?" he asked. She nodded.

"How did you kn-...never mind. Do you think that me and you can be friends for a long time?" she asked. He shrugged.

"That's up to you," he replied squinting one eye.

Chup

Arden blushed lightly, clearing her throat as she took a seat, Roland soon sitting next to her as he ate. "I would really love to be friends with you Roland." She smiled sweetly, laying back against the grass to stare up at the stars. She smiled softly, raising a hand as if she was touching them. Roland finished eating and laid beside her cautiously, his eye averting to the stars as well. "Do you do this every night?"

"I do," she could hear the happiness in his voice. She giggled softly, pointing out a group of stars.

"That's Ursa Major, is it not?" She smiled gently.

"Which one? That one?" She nodded. "Yes, it is. How did you know?"

"My grandfather used to sit outside at night and tell me the names of them all." She smiled memorably. "Apparently there's a story behind each of them, but he never told me any."

Elly

"Well, maybe tomorrow night and can tell you some," he said becoming quiet. He turned to Arden and sat up on one arm.
"Do you think that friends is all that we'd ever be?" He asked her that without realizing. When he noticed what he had said, he turned bright red. He laid down and stared at the stars scared if she was going to answer. He stared at them and looked at the Taurus Bull.

Chup

Arden looked over at Roland's blushing face quickly, eyes wide. Did he really want to be more than friends one day? She couldn't help but let the blood rush to her cheeks from embarrassment. "I-I don't know," she answered almost silently. "If we become more than friends, then so be it. If not, that's fine as well. In my opinion it only matters on how far each of us is willing to go as friends." She smiled, slightly confused. She had never had anyone ask her something even related to that. Heck, she had never had a human friend in the first place.

Elly

"O-okay," he replied. He turned towards her. "I'm willing to go as far as you will be," he whispered. They sat in silence for a little longer. "You should get back home. It's late," he said standing up. He helped her up as well and handed her the cloth napkin. "Thank you for the little meal. It was delicious," he said. She nodded and headed towards her home as he retreated back into his little cave. He fell asleep on his cloth covered grass and went into sweet dreams of Arden.

Chup

Arden crawled up into her room, sighing in relief that her parents weren't in there. She shed her clothing and put on a blue, silk night gown. She reached to turn her light off, a letter catching her eye. She bent down, lifting it off the ground to open it gingerly.

Arden,

I caught you but I won't tell your father. I do, however, want to hear more of this boy. You're grounded for another day, simply because I can't let your disobedience go unpunished. Sleep tight darling.

Love,
You mother

Arden sighed. So, two days. For some reason she knew she was going to sneak out again, possibly in those two days, but at least her mother understood. She smiled and flipped her light off, snuggling down into her sheets, her body tingling in every spot he'd touched her.

Elly

The morning was painful. The sun shined on every little scar. He stood up and streched, sucking in every little shadow that he could. He walked over to his hot spring and pulled out the clothes that he had boiled overnight. He draped them over a branch that wasn't too far from he resided. He started thinking about Arden. She was grounded from leaving her home. He sighed trying to think of something to do.

"I can go over there...er, is that a good idea," he wondered. He shrugged and headed to the tailor's. He wanted to see about her dress.

He opened the door and walked in cautiously. He walked into the backroom in search of the old lady. Sure enough, she was busy at work with the dress he had ordered.

"Hello, young man. Not much more to do. Do you mind coming to pick it up tomorrow?" She hadn't even turned around to look at him.

"Sure. It's beautiful. Thank you so much for doing this," he replied.
"No problem! I have been wanting to do something big like this for a while. So, thank you," she said. Roland nodded and headed out the door. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked the empty streets. Everyone was still sleeping or eating breakfast. He smiled as he reached Arden's home. He sat down on the forest line and his imagination soared.

Chup

"Arden! After breakfast you can go gather the eggs from the chicken coop, and after that you can milk the cows." Arden's father slipped his coat on quickly, kissing Arden and her mother on their cheeks. He was traveling into town to sell some of the family crops, a little milk, and some eggs. The normal stuff. "Bye dears," he smiled crookedly before walking out the door. Arden leaned back in her chair, a fork hanging from her mouth, and watched as her father rode away, a wagon connected to the back of a single stud.

"If you finish that on time, I'll need to to go pull the weeds in the garden." Her mother smiled, ruffling her hair as she gathered her father's dishes.

"Yes ma'am. Do we have any leftovers?" Arden asked, Roland crossing her mind.

"Yes, we do. Why?" Her mother's eyebrow rose.

"Well, you know the young man I was telling you of the other night," her mother nodded, "He lives and the forest without much food, and that's where I went before bed as well. May I take him some breakfast? I won't stay out longer that twenty minutes, I promise."

Her mother sighed, wearing a smile, and shook her head. "Very well Arden, but hurry back." Arden's smile grew three sizes and she nodded her head, wrapping some food up before running out the door, forgetting her shoes once again.

Elly

Roland jumped as a petite figure started to run and then stopped.

"Damn, she sees me," he whispered to himself. He stood up and stretched. He walked into the forest as she walked slowly to the entrance. He met her not far from the entrance. "Good morning, sunshine," he said with a smile. She looked at him and smiled back.

"I brought you some breakfast," she said holding out the napkin. He took it gladly.

"Thank you. You're going to have to stop coming out here so much," he said looking serious. She looked at him a little hurt.

"Why?"
"Because you're going to hurt your feet and get an infection. You forgot your shoes, again," he replied opening the napkin and eating slowly. She looked down and giggled.
"Oh," she replied. They stood there for a few minutes in silence. Then he looked up at her.
"If I came by your house and introduced myself this evening, do you think that your parents would let you go for a walk?" he asked looking at his feet. He needed to take a bath or just soak. She shrugged.
"I'm not exactly sure," she said also staring at her own feet. Arden bent down to pick up a black berry that was as ripe as ripe could be. She stuffed it in her mouth after carefully wiping it off.

Chup

Arden thought for a second after swallowing the blackberry, a smile soon gracing her lips. "My mom's home, you could come say hi to her. Maybe we could talk today while I work around the farm." Arden smiled softly, hooking her hands together behind her back. "My mom caught me when I snuck out last night, so I'm grounded tomorrow as well." She couldn't help but blush and laugh lightly.

"Are you sure it'd be okay?" Roland smiled softly.

Brooklyn nodded and laughed softly, rocking on her bare feet. "Of course, I've been mentioning you a little bit since yesterday," she smiled softly, taking Roland's hand in both of hers. "Please Roland? My mom's the sweetest woman you will possibly ever meet. She won't judge you, I swear."

Elly

Roland looked at his hand that Arden was grasping ever so tightly. He felt the blood rush to his cheeks. He nodded softly.

"Sure," he said looking down. "Do you mind if I get a bath first?" Arden let go of his hand and nodded.

"Go ahead," she said. She looked followed him to the cave as he walked in and stripped from his clothing. He bathed well, but quickly. He put on his clothing and came back outside where Arden was standing smiling at him. "Are you ready?" Roland nodded.

"More than ever," he said smiling. It wasn't long until they reached her house. Roland could feel his heart beating so it felt as if it would explode through his chest.

Chup

Arden smiled back at Roland encouragingly and pushed the front door open. Her mother was in the kitchen, already cooking. That was all she did, other than tend to the garden when Arden wasn't doing it. Her mother owned a home sweet shop. She made candies in the kitchen from dusk till dawn and Arden would take them into town when orders were being filled. "Mother?" She smiled softly, leading Roland into the kitchen. Her mother turned around quickly, the apron she tied around herself tied tight to her body. Her mother looked over at Roland quickly, a wide smile soon making its way across her face.

"My, my Arden. Who is this handsome young lad?" Her mother smiled sweetly, causing Arden to blush. Arden glanced up at Roland, who wore a small blush as well.

"This is Roland, Mother. I wanted to introduce you to him." Arden smiled softly, squeezing Roland's hand.

Elly

Roland quickly reachedd out his hand to shake Arden's mothers.

"It's nice to finally meet you. Arden talks very highly of you," he said sweetly. Mrs. O'Brien smiled wide.
"Same to you, Roland," she replied. There was a short moment of silence.
"Do you have a job, Roland?"
"No ma'am. I haven't really been looking for one," he replied embarassed.
"Well, would you like one? We need an extra hand around here and I'm sure Mr. O'brien would be delighted to have a young, stout lad like yourself," she said while turning to cook some more. Roland looked at Arden who had a little hope gleaming in her eyes.
"I'm not sure how to turn down that offer. I would love to, ma'am," he said. She smiled wider.
"Great! He should be back in an hour. Can you wait until then?"
"Of course," Roland said. She nodded.
"Now be gone with both of you. You are getting germs all over my candy," she said shooing them out of the kitchen

Chup

Arden laughed happily at her mother and danced her way back out of the house. Well, she didn't literally dance, but you get the point. She smiled up at Roland, joy written all over her face. "Isn't this great? Now we can spend time together." She smiled brightly. She didn't know why she was so happy. Maybe it was because Roland was the first person out of her immediate family that had ever shown intrest in her, and now she was able to spend time with him.

"Yes, it certainly is." Roland grinned gently, raising his arm when Arden twirled like a little child. She stopped, realizing she was acting like a six year old, and blushed.

"Sorry," she smiled cheekily.

"Don't be," Roland laughed softly, staring straight ahead. "So, what's first on the list of things to do?" He smiled.

"Um, well my father said to milk the cows, get the eggs out of the chicken coop, and my mom needs the garden weeded, and then whatever else my father throws out when he gets back." She smiled, stepping into the barn where several dairy cows stood in stalls.

Elly

"Are cows nice?" Roland asked kind of scared. He had never been near a cow before. He nervously laughed.
"Yes! They're just milking cows," Arden replied laughing at him. He blushed and nodded. Arden pulled out a stool with one leg on it and showed Roland how to sit on it. Then she put a silver pail underneath the utter of the cow and showed Roland how to pull on the nipples to squeeze the milk out. He nodded and did the samething. When she had finished one cow, he was done with two. When she finished her second cow he was done with five. He adjusted quickly. After they were done milking the cows, she gathered the eggs whilst he pulled the weeds. The had finished when Mr. O'brien had came home. It was time for the greeting of the two gentlemen.

Chup

Arden frowned when her father appeared on the path. He didn't look too happy. From what Arden could tell he had a mix of emotions. Two of which were anger and worry. Uh-oh. Mrs. O'Brien could sense her daughter's worry and laid a hand on her knee. "It's fine Arden. He probably just got into an argument with a few shop keepers." Arden nodded and stood up out of her chair at the kitchen table, where her mom had been sitting next to her and Roland across. She sighed, watching her father put the horses up and slowly make his way towards the house, taking his hat off in the process. Her mother stood up and made her way out of the kitchen, into the living where Arden couldn't see her, only hear her parent converse. She reached across the table, taking Roland's hand in hers encouragingly.

"Jacob, what's wrong?" Arden heard her mother ask.

"Those goddamn townsfolk! The governor's son was killed in his sleep the other night, throat completely ripped out. They're thinking it was Arden because of it since people claim to have seen the governer's son and his fellows beating her up. They're all claiming that she commanded animals to kill him while he slept! Foolishness is what it is! Complete and udder foolishness." A wave of emotion swept over Arden at her father's words. She never would have killed anyone, no matter how much pain they caused her. Sure she could ask animals to do favors, and they'd often comply, but she'd never kill a man.

Her fathers steps were slow, yet filled with anger as he neared the kitchen. "Dear god," she started, praying that her father wasn't to angry.

"Who're you?!" Her father barked out at Roland, eyes wide with rage. Roland and Arden pulled their hands away from each others quickly, Arden looking away from her father's murderous stare.

"Now Jacob. This is Arden's friend, Roland. I offered him a job on the f-"

"No!" Jacob cut Arden's mother, Anna, off with a shout. "Absolutely not! Get out of my house!" He shouted in sheer rage.

"Father!" Arden shouted, standing up quickly. "Stop talking to him like that! He did nothing wrong!"

Elly

Roland stood up putting his hand on Arden's shoulder. "It's okay. I am under his roof afterall," he replied. He walked out slowly with the governor's son on his mind. He kind of laughed at the coincidence...but he could get into some serious trouble if he decided to turn himself in. And they were blaming Arden? She wouldn't ever be able to show her face in town again! He sat beneath a tree pondering thoughts through his head. He tuned in to the yelling going on in Arden's home every now and then. It was pretty bad. Her father wasn't the kindest man. He guessed it was only natural for her parents to be like that considering that Arden wasn't the most popular person. He didn't see why, though. She was just as beautiful as any other girl. Actually, more beautiful. The others were just dirty and ugly. He frowned when he tuned into the arguement the next time. It was pretty rude.

Chup

"Father you didn't have to throw him out! He wasn't doing anything!" Arden shouted, rage boiling from within her. She didn't enjoy arguments, but she knew this was something that needed to be fought about. Roland was her friend, and her father would accept it, or she'd do something she really didn't want to do. (Don't know what is yet)

"I do not want to hear it Arden! He's not really your friend!" Her father barked loudly, causing her to wince.

"Jacob!" Her mother screeched.

"Quiet Anna! You think he's your friend?! You think that someone would magically appear before your eyes a day after the governor's son's death?! Is that what you think? You really believe that foolishness! Why would someone want to be friends with you? A person that's been shunned by society for their whole life?! Why would anyone be friends with a person that can talk to animals like a witch?! Why Arden?! Can you tell me why?!" Arden could feel hot tears make their way down her cheeks.

"I trust him!" She screamed back, pushing her way passed her father and running up the stairs.

"Arden! You get back here right now! Arden!" She slammed her door, locking it, and collapsed on the bed, sobbing into her pillow.

Elly

Roland stood up. He walked to where he could see into Arden's bedroom. His father had every right to think about something like that, but assuming so quickly? Roland shook his head lightly. Shame on him, he thought. He wanted to go kill the governor as well for concluding that an innocent girl created a crime. He shook his head again. Humans. He stared through Arden's window. He wanted to go and comfort her. He wanted to dry her wet tears. He wanted to tell her that it would all be okay, that it would eventually pass over. He wanted to kiss her, but he couldn't find himself to do it. Maybe if her father left. He didn't want to anger the family, but he didn't want to be considered a spy forever. He would eventually have to confront him. But how? Whilst thinking all of this, he was also standing, staring into Arden's window.

Chup

Arden heard the door slam and shot off her bed, seeing her father storm out of the house, her mother running after him in a rage. He walked to the barn, grabbed a horse, and took off into town. Arden hurried down the stairs in time to see her frazzled mother come in in a huff, her hair out of place and everything. "What happened?" Arden asked, voice hoarse from crying.

"Your father's staying in an inn tonight. Are you okay?" Her mother rested a hand on her cheek.

"Yes ma'am, are you?" Her mother nodded and turned towards the kitchen, bustling in there to finish cooking for the day.

"I am... go back up to your room and wash up. Dinner's in two hours." Arden sighed and nodded, trudging back up the stairs.

Elly

Roland stared into Arden's empty room before heading back into the forest feeling empty like he had lost something. He trudged all the way to the back of the forest. He came to a huge drop-off with a little river flowing neatly north. He smiled and dropped a rock down. It travelled a bit before finally hitting the water. KER-PLUNK. He smiled as a chilly wind blew in from the east, his front side. Thoughts of Arden came to his mind as he walked the edge of the drop off coming to a trail that led down to the water. He followed it and stripped from his clothing, diving headfirst into the slow-current, 40 feet deep river. He swam upstream for about an hour before pulling to a stop near a rocky shore. He smiled as his caliced feet grazed upon the hard substances. He felt like a nudist. He leaped back in a swam back to where his clothes were. He pulled himself onto the little isle and put his trousers on, using his shirt as a towel to dry his chest.

He came back to his cave and turned around not wanting to go back home yet. He walked in the opposite direction of the water entrance and came to a clear spot where an oak tree sat, weeving her twigs with the wind.

Chup

One week. Seven days. One hundred sixty-eight hours. Ten thousand and eighty minutes. Six hundred and four thousand, eight hundred seconds. That's how long it had been since Arden had even heard from Roland. It made her feel an array of emotions. At first she was crushed. She had traveled to the center of the forest and couldn't find him the day after her grounding was up. Then she went to the cave the next day, and hadn't seen him there either. After feeling crushed she'd been kind of worried that something had happened to him, and now, she was angry and felt betrayed. Maybe he had been a spy after all. "I told you Arden! That boy was a lie wasn't he!" Her father growled. Arden turned to him and smiled weakly.

"Yes sir," she sighed before walking out of the house and towards the chicken coop to collect eggs.

As Arden reached to grab the last egg her mother scream sounded in the air around her, causing her to drop the beige egg, along with the basket, and run out of the chicken coop, eyes livid. Two men, clad is light mail armor suddenly appeared on either side of her, gripping her upper arms tightly. "Hey! Let go of me!" Arden shouted when they started dragging her towards her home, where two others had their swords drawn on her mother.

"Get your hands off my daughter!" Her mother screamed, her father holding the middle-aged woman back with all he could, just as angry as she was.

"Silence!" The one with ornate designs on his armor commanded loudly. "Arden O'Brien, you've sentenced to death without questioning. There will be no trial, unless a towns person speaks other wise. Your hanging with be at sunrise tomorrow. You will dine with the judge and his family tonight to see how your death will follow. There are five deaths the judge shall choose from. Those include poisoning, hanging, decapitation, an arena death, and drowning." Arden let out a yelp when the two men threw her to the ground and locked shackles on her wrists, ripping her back off the ground and leading her away by her curly, fiery red hair.

Elly

Roland was walking to Arden's house juggling three apples. He stopped when he had seen the guards. One apple fell on his head. "Ouch," he mumbled. He stepped in front of them.

"Now, let's all be gentlemen. That is no way to treat a lady," he said as he couldn't bare to watch them pull her along by her hair any longer. "Especially since she hadn't done a thing," he said smirking a little.

"I'm sorry Sir Roland, but this one is being convicted of murder," the more heavy guard said.

"Under whose speach?"
"The governor, Sir," the second guard replied respectfully.
"Any witnesses?"
"Uh...no, Sir. None that have spoken up," the first guard replied hesitantly.
"I want a trial. I'm sure that her parents want one also. So that's three that you have, when you originally need one. I'll confront this governor this evening with my request and Arden's defense. Now, if I catch either of you treating her like anything other than a lady...you will regret it," Roland said darkly dimissing them with his hands. Arden looked at him with awe in her eyes. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'll see you all this evening," he replied waving. He turned around and watched her mother's mouth drop. Her father looked at Roland and huffed. He couldn't help but smile. Now, he just had to figure out her defense before she had dinner with the governor.

Chup

Arden had tears in her eyes as the men led her away yet again. She was thrown into a cell at the governor's mansion and could hear everything he and the soldiers were saying. "Sire, a trial must be held! Three townsfolk spoke their mind and wish for one."

"I don't care! There shall not be a tria- Wait, which three?" The governor was obviously afraid it was someone important to the town.

"The girl's parents, and Sir Roland." At this the governor burst into loud, boisterous laughter.

"The girl's parents live on the outside of farm! They mean not a thing. And Roland, he doesn't live in town now does he? He lives in the forest, so his choice matters not! Get the maids to wash the girl up." There was a long pause. "NOW!"
George Bernard Shaw

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:02 pm
Ellyphant says...

Roland thought long and hard. He couldn't think of a single excuse. He slammed his fist into the cave wall. It pressed his knuckles back cracking a couple. He screamed in pain. He was going to have to come clean whether he liked or not. He imagined what Arden's face would be like when he said that he killed him.

He knocked on the door, the guards standing very close by. Roland looked at them and smiled. "Would you mind stepping back? I'm claustrophobic," he said. They took one tiny step back as the door opened.

"Roland, darling!" said the governor's wife embracing him in a hug. Roland greeted her as well. He walked into the house being greeted by all of the little munchcins that the governor had created.
You're more than wonderful
More than amazing
The irreplaceable
Love of my life
You're so incredible
In these arms tonight
The irreplaceable
Love of my life

-Love of My Life, Brian McKnight.

23 Reviews

Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:52 am
Chupatoasta says...

Arden glared at a guard's retreating back as he threw her into a room to get cleaned up. Maids ran around her at a thousand miles and hour, making her look slightly acceptable. "Poor darling," one said to her. "However, I must thank you. That son of the governor's was the worst out of his bunch. So rude."

"I didn't kill anyone!" Arden sighed in exasperation. "I swore many years ago that I wouldn't kill a soul. Even the governor's son had a wife, family, and children. I'd never take away a husband, father, and son. It's just not me." The maid frowned as she combed Arden's hair furiously, trying to get all the knots out.

"Well, let's just hope that the governor will let you go dear." Arden gaped when the maid shoved her into a large dining room. The table was crowded, but silent. The governor was sitting at the end of the table, eyes soon finding Arden's. His eyes hardened as a guard shoved Arden down into the seat at the end of the table across from the governor. Looking around, Arden saw Roland sitting next to the governor's wife, talking hurriedly and softly.

*I really want to throw Arden in a stadium with a man-eating lion. She'd stop it you know :D*
George Bernard Shaw

Who knows anything about anyone, let alone themselves.
— Hank Green