z

Young Writers Society

Canary in a Coal Mine

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:01 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Sadie scratched her chin thoughtfully. "Sounds interesting, if the writing is compelling."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:05 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Hot diggity dog I've had my first three classes of the semester and there are already five essays in my calendar)

"Most definitely." Nicholas nodded. "de Cervantes is a writer ahead of his time. Extremely amusing and very, very clever."

(I highly recommend Quixote if you have the patience; it's absolutely hilarious! I listen to it on audiobook.)
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:07 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(shiiiit best of luck comrade lol)

"I'll give it a go, then. Thanks for the recommendation." She dipped her head.

(Good to know! I haven't read a book in literal years because school destroyed my love of reading ;-; but I'm very slowly coming around so I may add it to the list of "eventually read" lol)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:14 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Nice!
I'm in the same situation; I just recently rediscovered Jane Austen. The internet kind of killed my love of reading and I'm using school as an excuse to get myself back up and running.)

"Certainly. You'll have to tell me what you think of it if you give it a go," he replied.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:21 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Aww, glad to hear you're finding something, though! I like got burnt out on reading in undergrad, took a gap year and turned into a bookworm again, then went to grad school for 3.5 years and didn't touch a book again lol
altho arguably I feel like RPing kind of counts cause like I feel like we've both read hundreds of thousands of words just from reading each others' replies and writing our own
and I've recently started reviewing SilverNight's LMS novel which is phenomenal!
but yeah published books and I haven't made up yet hahah legit can't remember the last time I actually finished a fiction book)

"Will do." She nodded. "I'm sure I'll see you around."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Ehh roleplay doesn't count for me. It's more of a social thing rather than a reading thing.
And that's great! I'm glad their writing is going well.)

"It's a small town," he agreed. "We're bound to bump into one another."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:39 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Fair enough ^^ I'm still claiming it xD but I see where you're coming from, it's a very different experience."

"Yup." She nodded, then hummed for a moment. "Do you think you'll come to the kids' play at the end of the semester?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Maybe." He shrugged. "I suppose I'd be expected to come."
"So you should go," Martin urged.
"I will," Nicholas confirmed. "There's already been some...talk about it, to be honest. Some of the parents in the congregation have concerns."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:50 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Sadie sighed and rubbed her face tiredly.

Meyer glanced at her in concern, reaching his hand over and planting it on her knee to give it a reassuring squeeze. "It's going to be excellent."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:53 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"What sorts of concerns?" Mary asked.
"Questions of morality and gender roles," Nicholas said with a shrug. "I've been keeping mum until I know the deals properly; no need to spark a witch hunt."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:57 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I haven't even casted it yet," Sadie muttered sourly, picking up her water and taking a drink.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:59 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That's what I said," Nicholas agreed. "And even if you did cast a girl--if you don't mind my saying so--theater has historically been a place where gender is a fluid thing. Shakespeare played with the idea of gender in his works, and men have been playing women for hundreds if not thousands of years."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:01 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Sadie relaxed immediately, surprised but thrilled he was on her side. "Exactly! That's what I'm saying! It's not like I'm going to have a bunch of children being sensual regardless of genders -- real, or played. Acting is acting."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:04 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I couldn't agree more," Nicholas said firmly. This congregation was, if he was honest, positively Puritan in its mindset. He came from the more liberal side of Lutheranism, and being thrust into a group of people with views so different from his own was disconcerting. He rarely let it show, though; he had security here and people liked him because he avoided conflict and delivered halfway decent sermons every Sunday. That was enough for him.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:06 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I'm glad to hear it." Sadie nodded, forcing her posture to relax as well. She'd gone a little intense. "That seems to be an unpopular opinion around here."

[they/he]

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith