Young Writers Society

Cuckoos and Chalk Marks

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:12 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I resisted the urge to groan. I wasn't going to give in so easily.

...I just had to figure out how I was actually going to get him to talk.

"So what can you tell me, then?" I asked. Maybe he'd let something slip that would clue me in to the answer.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Hmm. About what? That subject or another? Because I can tell you a great many things about a great many things."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:22 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I fought back very strongly against the urge to groan again.

"About you," I said. "I've told you about things most people don't know about me, but I've realized I don't know a whole lot about you."

The crystals glowed again—once when Sorenson said what he could tell me, and once more after I spoke.
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:30 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Well, I'm a human enthusiast and a sorcerer of the sky." The crystals glowed. "I also happen to be a nobleman of the Moon Elves." Another glow.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:41 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"You've already told me that." The crystals glowed again. Even if he hadn't said it in those exact words, he had already conveyed that information. "I was looking for something new."

Another glow.
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:37 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Alright, then. Sometimes I forget to clip my toenails, which is very important for elves to do. I secretly despise being relied on for things."

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:15 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I blinked.

"It's important for elves to clip their toenails?" I said, bewildered and momentarily distracted. The crystals had glowed when Sorenson had said that, so it wasn't a lie. I glanced down at my own feet. I couldn't even remember the last time I had done that.
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:17 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He nodded. "They grow remarkably fast! An inch a week, would you believe it?" The crystals glowed brightly.

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:33 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"Huh."

I mentally stored that fact away for the next time I needed to disgust Natty boy. Asmira, of course, would only be slightly disgusted by that fun fact, but Nathaniel would absolutely detest it.

"If you told me human toenails grew that fast, no. I wouldn't have believed it if we weren't talking about elves," I replied. The crystals glowed.

Spoiler! :
So was the toenail fun fact something you just had sitting around, or was that completely improvised-
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:42 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Improvised as with many things I do in this roleplay. I have a very vague backstory for this guy; he's a d&d character originally)

Sorenson chuckled. "There you have it, then."

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:03 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Oooh interesting! He definitely has D&D character vibes.

Btw, how do you feel about giving these guys a nudge into spilling more personal details about themselves? Maybe we could have the ground start shaking even when they're not lying, and the only way they can stabilize it is by telling the truth. That way they could get flustered enough to slip and mention something more personal.

I almost smirked a little at that, but then remembered the reason I had gotten that answer in the first place. I had some answers I wanted to get while we were trapped in this room. Sorenson was doing his best to deflect right now.

"Toenails aside," I said, "do you have anything else you can share?"
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:37 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I think we've already kinda established rules for thus area; changing them now wouldn't be great but I agree a nudge is needed.)

"Why are you so interested?" he asked with a frown.

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:49 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
True! Do you have another idea for how we can give that nudge?

"Contrary to popular opinion," I said, "I have standards."

The crystals glowed, and the ground shook. I couldn't tell what it was saying was the lie and what it was saying was the truth, but I decided to ignore it for now. Once I regained on my rock post-shaking, I continued.

"My...master wasn't a good person." I looked Sorenson right in the eye. "I never want to be like him, and made it my personal mission to never let anyone else be like him, either. If I found someone like him, I'd..."

My expression darkened, and the crystals glowed softly around me.

"As for the parent part, I have some friends with very shitty family members and don't want to be around anyone like them," I added, thinking of one of my closest friends. Even Nathaniel technically counted, when I thought about it. "I might not be able to get rid of you while we're here, but I'd like to know what you're really like."
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:51 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Not currently but I'll think on it at work today)

He frowned. "I'm no abuser, Skull, I can promise you that." The crystals glowed faintly, and he glared up at them. "I'm not. I've made some mistakes, is all."

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:01 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Okay! It almost seems like Skull and Sorenson are about to do that right now. I don't think they'll give away all of their secrets, but Sorenson's definitely getting rid of some of Skull's concerns right now.

Also, just to check: Sorenson wasn't lying about not being an abuser, right? I was a little confused because he glared at the crystals when they glowed, which would have confirmed what he said about not being an abuser.
mage

queer and here.

Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana